PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Rankings: How They Stack Up After Summer League

duncan228
07-21-2009, 10:43 AM
Rookie Rankings: How they stack up after Summer League (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=nba_com-rookie.rankings.summer-20090721&prov=nba_com&type=lgns)
By Drew Packham, NBA.com

It's early. Very early.

And not only is it early, but it's Summer League. As a point of reference, take a look back at the top four scorers from the 2008 NBA Summer League: Jerryd Bayless (29.8 ppg), Donte Greene (22.6 ppg), Quincy Douby (22.3 ppg) and Alando Tucker (21.6 ppg).

How did those four fare in 2009? Tucker finished as the highest scorer—averaging 4.6 points—so we have to take the last two weeks with a grain of salt.

Note: This week's rankings—my debut with NBA.com—take into account only how the rookies performed in Summer League action. They are not a ranking based on how I think they will finish the season.

Overall Rankings - Summer League

1. Blake Griffin, F, L.A. Clippers
G MPG PPG RPG APG SPG BPG FG% 3P% FT%
5 34.6 19.2 10.8 3.2 1.0 .4 .500 .143 .459

Drafted: 1
Blake Griffin wasted little time proving he's the real deal. Griffin was a man among boys in Las Vegas (granted, against guys who may not soon—or ever—see an NBA roster), averaging a double-double (19.2 ppg, 10.8 rpg) in the Clippers' five games. No wonder ESPN.com's J.A. Adande is already wondering whether Griffin will go down as "one of the greatest No. 1 picks ever." If Las Vegas was any indication, that may just happen.

2. Jonny Flynn, G, Minnesota Timberwolves
5 27.8 15.0 2.4 7.4 .8 0.0 .480 .583 .909

Drafted: 6
Who needs Ricky Rubio when you have Jonny Flynn? The Timberwolves' second point-guard pick looked like a starter (and talked like one, too, in this NBA TV interview), showing off his unbelievable quickness while averaging 15.0 points and 7.4 assists. Flynn was in control and may just end up being the better of the Wolves' two rookie point guards.

3. Tyreke Evans, G, Sacramento Kings
5 30.2 19.2 6.2 4.2 1.0 .2 .403 .286 .784

Drafted: 4
Outside of Griffin, no one looked more NBA-ready than Evans. His best game came in a showdown with Brandon Jennings in which Evans had 33 points (getting to the line 19 times), nine boards and seven assists. The Bucks got the win, but Evans' quickness and defensive mindset impressed many in Las Vegas.

4. James Harden, G, Oklahoma City Thunder
9 27.9 14.7 3.3 2.4 1.6 0.2 .506 .375 .811

Drafted: 3
One thing is clear after the Thunder's Summer League stints in Orlando and Las Vegas: Harden will compete for the starting two-guard spot. Thunder head coach Scott Brooks said recently that Harden will have to fight for minutes, but you have to think Harden will be able to steal the minutes from last year's starters (Kyle Weaver and Thabo Sefolosha).

5. Brandon Jennings, G, Milwaukee Bucks
5 32.4 14.6 2.6 8.2 3.6 0.2 .379 .429 .778

Drafted: 10
The Bucks went 4-1 in Las Vegas thanks in large part to Jennings' pass-first mentality. Jennings led all rookies with 8.2 assists per game, but his loud-talking play caught the attention of at least one team exec. "He better keep his mouth shut," the anonymous player personnel director told NBA.com's Art Garcia. "He's a wise ass. And what's going to happen is he's going to go into the lane and one of those monsters is going to knock him on his ass and he's going to be sorry he was a smart aleck. He's been that way most of the games." Good thing he's got this guy to help him out.

6. Ty Lawson, G, Denver Nuggets
5 35.8 16.6 7.0 3.6 0.6 1.0 .397 .154 .771

Drafted: 18
After two brutal games, in which he was just 1-for-15 from the floor, Lawson picked up steam. In the Nuggets' final three games (all wins), Lawson averaged 23.6 points on 57 percent shooting and looked like the quick-yet-polished point the Nuggets traded for on draft night to back up Chauncey Billups.

7. Dante Cunningham, F, Portland Trail Blazers
4 31.5 18.3 5.8 0.8 1.5 0.5 .476 .000 .722

Drafted: 33
With as much depth as the Trail Blazers have, it's unlikely Cunningham will have much impact in his rookie season. But that didn't stop Portland's second-round pick from showing off his potential in Las Vegas. Cunningham's performance—the Villanova product was fifth among rookies with an 18.6 scoring average—came as no shock to teammate Jerryd Bayless. "I've said it from the start—I think Dante has a chance to be special," the point guard said earlier this week.

8. DeJuan Blair, F, San Antonio Spurs
3 25.0 16.3 8.7 0.0 0.7 0.3 .529 .000 .813

Drafted: 37
Dropping into the second round may end up a blessing in disguise for Blair. Not only will the Pitt All-American join a perennial contender in San Antonio, but he may be able to contribute right away. Blair averaged 16.3 points and 8.7 rebounds in three games and could prove to be a steal for the Spurs, who could use his toughness off the bench.

9. Austin Daye, C, Detroit Pistons
5 33.8 17.0 8.8 1.0 1.4 0.4 .471 .294 .762

Drafted: 15
The No. 15 overall pick answered questions about his bulk and athleticism (or lack thereof) by averaging 17 points and seven rebounds as the Pistons went 4-1. Still, it was the Pistons' second-round pick, DaJuan Summers, that may have had the more surprising week. Summers, the 6-foot-8, 240-pound forward out of Georgetown, led the team in scoring (18.0 ppg).

10. Tyler Hansbrough, F, Indiana Pacers
5 25.3 18.2 5.6 2.0 1.0 0.4 .444 .400 .854

Drafted: 13
Hansbrough is out to prove he's more than just an inside presence. At North Carolina, Hansbrough took just 12 treys in his four-year career. In Orlando, the 6-foot-9 forward hit two of his five attempts and while averaging 18.2 ppg in the Pacers' five games."He can really shoot," Pacers teammate Roy Hibbert told the USA Today. "People don't really know that. Obviously, with me in the post, it sucked people in and he hit 3s. That'll widen up the floor for us."

Other notable performers: DeMar DeRozan, Raptors—Looked like the real deal, showing quickness while averaging 17.0 points on 49 percent shooting; Marcus Thornton, Hornets—Only played three games, but led all rookies in scoring with a 20.7 average; Stephen Curry, Warriors—His 2.4 steals per game overshadowed his poor shooting (.325 percent from the field); Rodrigue Beaubois, Mavericks—the athletic guard had 34 points and eight assists in a win over Houston; Hasheem Thabeet, Grizzlies—The No. 2 pick looked disinterested and outmatched. Averaged 8.2 points and 4.6 rebounds and it's hard seeing him having much impact offensively for the Grizzlies.

SamoanTD
07-21-2009, 11:49 AM
Blairrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bigdog
07-21-2009, 11:52 AM
I guarantee that if Blair had played all of the Summer League games, he would be top 3 on this list.

bishopospurs
07-21-2009, 11:58 AM
I don't understand how Flynn is getting so much burn. He looked totally out of control against the spurs. Maybe he did alot better in his other games, but I wasn't too impressed with him.

benefactor
07-21-2009, 12:13 PM
No wonder ESPN.com's J.A. Adande is already wondering whether Griffin will go down as "one of the greatest No. 1 picks ever."
:lmao

ESPN is always amazing me at the new lows they can sink to.

Sobe_Kucks
07-21-2009, 01:38 PM
Adande's article mentions Dunleavy saying "Griffin combines elements of Tim Duncan and Charles Barkley." Easy there Tonto... a long ways to go.

urunobili
07-21-2009, 01:42 PM
Blair on NBA TV:

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nba_tv/2009/07/19/nba_20090719_kyle_blair.nba/

bishopospurs
07-21-2009, 01:48 PM
Griffin looks like he has a chance to be a great great pro, however, he is shorter than Timmy and there is no way his game will look like either Charles Barkley or Tim Duncan. He is super athletic, and his game depends on that in a similar way that Lebron used his athleticism to contribute right away. Duncan and Barkley made there way by playing fundamentally sound all around basketball, totally different. I think Shawn Kemp is a much better comparison.

Vito Corleone
07-21-2009, 02:00 PM
OU SUX
Blake Griffin went to OU
thus, Blake Griffin SUX

Marcus Bryant
07-21-2009, 02:12 PM
I guarantee that if Blair had played all of the Summer League games, he would be top 3 on this list.

Correct. He'll be top 2 by the end of the season.

D-ROB 50
07-21-2009, 02:21 PM
Hmmmm, sooo Blair was one of only two 2nd rounders and lowest drafted player on this list and had comparable numbers to the other 2nd rounder in 6 less minutes.
Well, spurs win again. :toast

D-ROB 50
07-21-2009, 02:25 PM
Griffin looks like he has a chance to be a great great pro, however, he is shorter than Timmy and there is no way his game will look like either Charles Barkley or Tim Duncan. He is super athletic, and his game depends on that in a similar way that Lebron used his athleticism to contribute right away. Duncan and Barkley made there way by playing fundamentally sound all around basketball, totally different. I think Shawn Kemp is a much better comparison.

He'll probably be the next San Antonio Mcdyss, Damn does anyone else have a hard time remembering how to spell his name.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-21-2009, 02:30 PM
Adande's article mentions Dunleavy saying "Griffin combines elements of Tim Duncan and Charles Barkley." Easy there Tonto... a long ways to go.

That leaves a lot of room for error. He could be right if he proves to be an undersized bigman who uses a keen understanding of the game, a varied offensive package, and sheer effort to methodically pick his opponents apart. Or if Griffin just plays a lot of on-line poker.

angelbelow
07-21-2009, 03:00 PM
Blair, with amazing production in the less amount of minutes amongst the rookies in that list. Very exciting.

FireDavidStern
07-21-2009, 03:28 PM

Blair will be lucky to be top 5 on most of the experts lists and will not finish in the top 8 for rookie of the year. Right or wrong, that award always goes to a rookie who gets 30 or more minutes a game. With Blair being limited to 20 minutes a nights, he has no chance to put up the numbers needed to rank as a top rookie. However, Hollinger (who for some reason is unreasonably hated on) is probably the only one who will rate Blair highly.

My prediction for rookies who will be ranked higher than Blair
Griffin
Harden
Evans* (once they realize he is not a point guard)
Curry
Teague*
Holiday
Flynn*

*= i don't think they should be ranked higher.

All this said only Danny Green has a chance to be a better 2nd round pick. And i don't believe he will be.

bigdog
07-21-2009, 03:30 PM
How on Earth can you have Teague, and Holiday ahead of Blair?

angelbelow
07-21-2009, 03:35 PM
Blair will be lucky to be top 5 on most of the experts lists and will not finish in the top 8 for rookie of the year. Right or wrong, that award always goes to a rookie who gets 30 or more minutes a game. With Blair being limited to 20 minutes a nights, he has no chance to put up the numbers needed to rank as a top rookie. However, Hollinger (who for some reason is unreasonably hated on) is probably the only one who will rate Blair highly.

Griffin
Harden
Curry
Teague*
Holiday
Flynn*

All this said only Danny Green has a chance to be a better 2nd round pick. And i don't believe he will be.

MB might be talking about production and impact. If so, I would have to agree with him - that Blair has a chance to be top 2. But obviously if we're talking about ROY Blair's got a very slim shot.

Hornets1
07-21-2009, 03:47 PM
No question that Blair is a beast. I think his PT will determine his ROY ranking(More mins, higher rating). His attempt of being ROY will be dampered by depth, seeing as some of the rooks on bad teams will be starters w/ 30+ mins(Griffin,Harden, Evans, Flynn). Hopefully for the Spurs, Blair will give Duncan a lot of rest during the regular season, making him prime for the playoffs.

BTW, I still don't get how so many teams past on him, even in the 2nd round.

elbamba
07-21-2009, 04:01 PM
If Blair had played the minutes of the top 7 he would be in top 2-3.

Dex
07-21-2009, 04:10 PM
Just to shake things up a little...

Blake Griffin
Points per 40m - 22.19
Rebounds per 40m - 12.48

Dejuan Blair
Points per 40m - 26.08
Rebounds per 40m - 13.92

:stirpot:

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-21-2009, 04:45 PM
Then why the hell is RC saying the Spurs are going to only play him 20-25 minutes a night? This FO fucking sucks!

Mr. Body
07-21-2009, 04:59 PM
Then why the hell is RC saying the Spurs are going to only play him 20-25 minutes a night? This FO fucking sucks!

My guess is they feel he's better in shorter bursts; don't want to unduly damage his knees without knowing what a long season will do to them; and, he'll take a while to get to know the defensive schemes.

Ocotillo
07-21-2009, 05:11 PM

In Spurs Front Office speak, that is a rather bold statement. Recall Tony's first year that he started out as the back up and by the third game was starting. I think R.C. is just being conservative with the expectations.

It may be possible he gets a lot more minutes depending upon performance.

spursfaninla
07-21-2009, 05:39 PM
Blair should NOT get more minutes that 20-25...even that is pushing it.

If we can survive by distributing our front court minutes pretty evenly, we will accomplish giving our rookies seasoning and experience enough to be able to play during the playoffs (probably diminished roles, though), AND will save Duncan and Dice for the playoffs.

duncan 30
dice 24
blair 24
Ian 24
Haislip 14

This might be asking a bit of Ian/Blair, but I think it is needed if we are going to keep our veteran bigs fresh. Playing Blair more than this, however, risks this energy guy getting burned out later in the season, a la the "rookie wall"...

Spursfan092120
07-21-2009, 05:51 PM
OU SUX
Blake Griffin went to OU
thus, Blake Griffin SUX
I'm a huge Longhorns fan, but that's completely retarded

:rolleyes

Brazil
07-21-2009, 08:22 PM
Blair should NOT get more minutes that 20-25...even that is pushing it.

If we can survive by distributing our front court minutes pretty evenly, we will accomplish giving our rookies seasoning and experience enough to be able to play during the playoffs (probably diminished roles, though), AND will save Duncan and Dice for the playoffs.

duncan 30
dice 24
blair 24
Ian 24
Haislip 14

This might be asking a bit of Ian/Blair, but I think it is needed if we are going to keep our veteran bigs fresh. Playing Blair more than this, however, risks this energy guy getting burned out later in the season, a la the "rookie wall"...

:wow Ian 24 mn ! if it's the case it would be a very very good sign

mystargtr34
07-21-2009, 08:32 PM
To be fair, i dont think Dex was saying Blair should be playing 40 minutes a night. Just showing that Bair's per minute production was better than Griffin.

Dex
07-21-2009, 08:50 PM
To be fair, i dont think Dex was saying Blair should be playing 40 minutes a night. Just showing that Bair's per minute production was better than Griffin.

winner winner chicken dinner. :tu

Solid D
07-21-2009, 09:03 PM
I don't understand how Flynn is getting so much burn. He looked totally out of control against the spurs. Maybe he did alot better in his other games, but I wasn't too impressed with him.

Flynn must have been out of control, because his team wasn't playing the Spurs. Did he jump teams? :smokin

Ace9
07-21-2009, 10:12 PM
Flynn must have been out of control, because his team wasn't playing the Spurs. Did he jump teams? :smokin

I think he was talking about Ty Lawson...how do you get the two mixed up?

SouthTexasRancher
07-21-2009, 10:24 PM

:tu

SouthTexasRancher
07-21-2009, 10:28 PM

Griffin
Harden
Curry
Teague*
Holiday
Flynn*

Huh? Oh, :rollin

Udokafan05
07-21-2009, 11:09 PM
Nice solid 81% from line.

alamo50
07-22-2009, 02:43 AM
How did Budinger not make that list?