PDA

View Full Version : Ranking The NBA's Nine Best Unrestricted Free Agents

duncan228
07-21-2009, 12:18 PM
Ranking the NBA's nine best unrestricted free agents (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Ranking-the-NBA-s-nine-best-unrestricted-free-ag;_ylt=ArMM8R6MloKCo591snHw7PO8vLYF?urn=nba,17767 0)
By Kelly Dwyer
Ball Don't Lie

A rambunctious July has but a week and a half left, and most of the free agent action has passed. Of course, that doesn't mean that there isn't a select group of unrestricted free agents still available, ready to help teams and earn their keep. Here's our humbled list of the best of the rest.

(Restricted free agents to follow on Wednesday ...)

1. Lamar Odom

We've been over why we think so highly of Odom (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Do-people-know-how-good-Lamar-Odom-is-?urn=nba,174156). He's a stat machine whose best contributions often aren't picked up by the typical box score. Odom led the Lakers in plus/minus last year (http://www.82games.com/0809/0809LAL1.HTM), not Kobe Bryant. He scores, he rebounds at a high rate, he defends all comers, he runs an offense that many have trouble picking up. He might be 30, and the Lakers could win it all without him, but that doesn't take away from the fact that he is a special, special player.

The solution? The Lakers stop trying to act like tough guys, and give it up for the player who gave up big numbers last year to come off the bench and contribute to a championship.

2. Andre Miller

We've also been over where Andre Miller went wrong (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Andre-Miller-to-the-Knicks-?urn=nba,177228). He put up great stats in 2008-09, during a contract year, but his attitude wasn't always the best — whether the Philadelphia 76ers deserved his scorn or not. Miller turned 33 last spring, and though his 2008-09 averages of 16 points, 6.5 assists (to just 2.4 turnovers) and 5.5 rebounds are nothing to scoff at, there is a fear that he could drop off at any point.

The solution? Go safe, take the money from New York. And, if there's gas in Miller's tank, he can try the whole "act the good soldier in a contract year" bit with the Knicks, while working on a one-year contract.

3. Ike Diogu

Diogu at three? Is that a sign of just how slim the free agent pickings have gotten?

Hardly. This guy can play (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=AvuwNki._nSMRcVDSKFT1zEgPaB4?gid=200 9041516), he's just been stuck on a series of teams with a series of coaches that would prefer to value image (too small, too thick) over actual production (you know, the things you actually do on the court?). Unless you're a Michael Sweetney or an Oliver Miller, the overwhelming majority of NBA players' per-minute stats hold up, no matter the minutes. Diogu doesn't remind of Jack LaLanne, but he's hardly the type whose frame wouldn't hold up to 33 minutes. Pay, and then finally play, the man.

The solution? Chicago? Stop being cheap, offer the guy a minimum deal even if it creeps you closer to the luxury tax, and let Diogu and Tyrus Thomas fill out the holes in one's head with the bumps in another's. This involves the Chicago ownership, front office, and coaching staff making a sound move, all at once. Too much to ask, probably.

4. Von Wafer

He was undoubtedly a bit of a headcase toward the end of 2008-09, feuding with Rockets coach Rick Adelman, and this is probably why Wafer hasn't been re-signed by Houston. And with other free agent wings taking up residence in Cleveland, Boston, and Orlando (you got your Moons, your Marquis, your Barnes), Wafer's staunch refusal to take a deal above the minimum hurts his chances.

He averaged almost 10 points per game last year. He's not a minimum player. But when you walk out on your coach on national TV, in this economy? Deal with what you can get, Von Wafer.

The soluton? To Minnesota, for the minimum, to play nice and take dozens of shots on a team that entirely made up of point guards, power forwards, and Quentin Richardson's expiring contract (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Quentin-Richardson-traded-a-third-time-this-summ?urn=nba,177622).

5. Drew Gooden

He takes inefficient jumpers, his rebounding goes from tremendous to awful in the course of a week, he probably won't remember all the assistant coaches' names, and he doesn't play defense.

But Drew Gooden can score, he'll come cheap, and he's a good locker room guy to have around. And, if your starting power forward goes down with injury, Gooden can put up 12 and 7 in his sleep. And he sleeps a lot.

The solution? To Phoenix, who could use a player to start fast breaks, run a screen and roll, and play big forward with Amar'e Stoudemire at center.

6. Rasho Nesterovic

He was once a punch line, but the man delivering the punch line has now turned into a punch line, and doesn't really have a gig delivering punch lines about the NBA anymore.

Rasho will have a gig next year, because he deserves one. He's a damn good defender, something some NBA analysts would fail to realize when they decide to only look up blocks per game on their Blackberries, rather than watch the actual games. He can score with the floater, and would be a very good backup at a pretty cheap price.

The solution? To Houston. The Rockets can talk all they want about running and weaving in Yao Ming's absence, but they'll also need someone to defend the pivot, and not act like a Collins twin once the ball meets the center's hands on offense.

7. Leon Powe

Players usually don't come back from a second or third ACL tear very quickly, but I'm standing by my pronouncement that whatever team picks up Powe's medical bills right now will be very surprised with the beast they get next March. Powe should be back on the court well before then, he'll take a while to round into shape; and if the new team has a coach worth shouting about, then the Celtics will be very, very upset they didn't tender this guy the qualifying offer.

The solution? New York, you need scorers? You want someone to put up points for - a year - half a year before 2010? This is your guy.

8. Joe Smith

Same as it ever was. Defends, scores with either hand, hits jumpers, sets good screens, rebounds enough to deserve minutes. New team, every year, same professionalism.

The solution? I'm tempted to say Los Angeles, Orlando, Boston or Cleveland; so that Smith can finally grab a ring. Cleveland actually works, though, as the Cavs will need someone to work the baseline with Shaquille O'Neal in town.

7235. Allen Iverson

Doesn't want to come off the bench. Doesn't want to stop shooting. Doesn't defend. Doesn't work well with others. Doesn't want conform in any meaningful way (play with your jewelry on, for all I care, just stop taking 18-footers in transition). Doesn't want to take less money to play for a winner.

The solution? Congress, naturally.

Kamnik
07-21-2009, 12:24 PM
7235. Allen Iverson

:lol

benefactor
07-21-2009, 12:25 PM
If the Suns sign Gooden we will need real suicide watch for DoK.

loveforthegame
07-21-2009, 12:26 PM
I forgot about Joe Smith.

resistanze
07-21-2009, 12:28 PM
7235. Allen Iverson

cornbread
07-21-2009, 12:28 PM
6. Rasho Nesterovic

He was once a punch line, but the man delivering the punch line has now turned into a punch line, and doesn't really have a gig delivering punch lines about the NBA anymore.

Thank God.

rjv
07-21-2009, 12:29 PM
AI can just go ahead and retire and remain a border line hall of famer.

duncan228
07-21-2009, 12:30 PM
Be honest now Duncan228, did you edit the Iverson section?

:lol Nope.

760Spursfan
07-21-2009, 12:40 PM

Agreed!!!:lol

GSH
07-21-2009, 01:36 PM
I really want to see Leon Powe get rewarded for all the hard work he did. I really feel for the guy. He's a good example of what could have happened with Blair, if he had only gotten a rookie minimum contract. Powe did everything right, but one injury could cost him the payday and financial security that he would have received this year. Maybe he'll get it in the future, but at the very least he will probably have to play next season and a full season after that to get into the same position.

Blair is a better player, but that would have made it even more of a shame. I really hope it works out for Powe. The Spurs don't need him anymore, because of the offseason pickups. But I hope somebody else takes a chance on him.

anonoftheinternets
07-21-2009, 01:58 PM

to be honest, one year in Detroit has all but destroyed his rep ... lets see what happens when ben gordan outplays rip and rip is asked to go to the bench this year ... :hat ..

of course not denying the fact tat he is a volume shooting, ball hungry, individualistic player that struggles unless the team is based around him ... but he is who he is ... and detroit should have known that before forcing him into a team oriented, defense strong role.

CGD
07-21-2009, 02:28 PM
Thank God.

Agreed, Stephen A. Smith was an insult to smart sports fans...

Agloco
07-21-2009, 02:34 PM
How deep would the Suns be if they picked up both Gooden and Iverson? Play Iverson at the 2, because that's what he really is...... Yeah yeah, it's not a championship contender, but it would put asses in seats until Kerr figured out how to reload over there.

Mr. Body
07-21-2009, 03:01 PM

:lol Hilarious

picc84
07-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Has anyone's stock ever fallen as far as Iversons in the same amount of time? Wow. MVP in 2001 to cant even get a callback from the grizzlies in 2009. 7232 spots behind Ike Diogu on the NBA free agent depth chart? Ouch.

angelbelow
07-21-2009, 03:54 PM
Iverson should just take a paycut and play for the heat. Him and Wade would sell tickets, then maybe the heat will have enough to be some players next to Wade.

coyotes_geek
07-21-2009, 09:32 PM
Rasho is the only name on that list that interests me. Everyone else is either too expensive or redundant to someone else we already have.

mikeb2016
07-21-2009, 09:44 PM
Rasho is the only name on that list that interests me. Everyone else is either too expensive or redundant to someone else we already have.

I don't think Leon Powe is so much redundant, as his anticipated mid-season arrival would stunt the growth of Mahinimi, Blair and Haislip as they wondered if they were about to be replaced when Leon came back.

But...if Ian flops/gets hurt, Blair isn't quite ready for NBA competition, and Haislip becomes more of a niche 4 against Dirk/Odom/et al, Powe would be a great fit as the first big off the bench, and could probably be had for the LLE right now.

I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

coyotes_geek
07-21-2009, 10:23 PM
I don't think Leon Powe is so much redundant, as his anticipated mid-season arrival would stunt the growth of Mahinimi, Blair and Haislip as they wondered if they were about to be replaced when Leon came back.

But...if Ian flops/gets hurt, Blair isn't quite ready for NBA competition, and Haislip becomes more of a niche 4 against Dirk/Odom/et al, Powe would be a great fit as the first big off the bench, and could probably be had for the LLE right now.

You can make that same argument for anyone though. If Manu gets hurt, Mason struggles and Hairston gets in over his head then all of a sudden you could use a guy like Von Wafer.

SouthTexasRancher
07-21-2009, 10:32 PM
Poor Iverson...he just isn't feeling the love this summer. He better be prepared to come off the bench. There will be some idiot out there who'll pick him up...like Markie Cuban.

exstatic
07-21-2009, 10:34 PM

Powe is restricted. See: thread title.

coyotes_geek
07-21-2009, 10:36 PM
Powe is unrestricted. See: thread.

7. Leon Powe

Players usually don't come back from a second or third ACL tear very quickly, but I'm standing by my pronouncement that whatever team picks up Powe's medical bills right now will be very surprised with the beast they get next March. Powe should be back on the court well before then, he'll take a while to round into shape; and if the new team has a coach worth shouting about, then the Celtics will be very, very upset they didn't tender this guy the qualifying offer.

The solution? New York, you need scorers? You want someone to put up points for - a year - half a year before 2010? This is your guy.

mountainballer
07-22-2009, 07:47 AM
Powe is unrestricted. See: thread.

mountainballer
07-22-2009, 08:13 AM

agree about Rasho (for the min) but would also be interested in Joe Smith, if available for the same price.
(IMO he, or better Dan Fegan, just isn't ready yet to agree to a min. contract, otherwise he already would have agreed to re sign with the Cavs, what he very likely finally will do).
yes, we have 6 bigs and Smith doesn't look like an upgrade in any department, but my point is, we know from 3 of the 6 what they can do in the NBA. (in the case of Matt: what he can't do). Smith can't deliver much these days, but the little bit he offers you can be pretty sure he will deliver. if he is outplayed by Matt, Ian and/or Haislip, fine. if not, I would love to get 15-20 minutes from him, because this means almost guaranteed 6 points and 4 rebounds.

mikeb2016
07-22-2009, 09:27 AM
You can make that same argument for anyone though. If Manu gets hurt, Mason struggles and Hairston gets in over his head then all of a sudden you could use a guy like Von Wafer.

I follow your line of thinking, but must disagree. You CANNOT replace Manu with Von Wafer...if you lose Manu and need Wafer to replace him, you are not winning the Larry O'Brien Trophy. But you can replace Blair/Mahinimi/Haislip with Powe and still win a title.

That's the crux of the redundant argument...If Blair/Mahinimi/Haislip produce at their anticpated levels, what Powe offers is about the same with less upside. The same cannot be said of Manu and Von Wafer.

mikeb2016
07-22-2009, 09:33 AM
Powe is restricted. See: thread title.

Even though you are wrong, in your defense, he should have been a restricted free agent. Boston chose not to tender him a Qualifying Offer because they didn't want to pay him while recovering from his knee injury.

As much as I can't stand Big Baby, I hope he gets an offer they don't match. The Celtics will have a 3 man front court rotation (granted, Garnett, Wallace and Perkins is a pretty good trio) with no depth...if one of those guys goes down or doesn't produce, that team will be in trouble.

Seventyniner
07-22-2009, 10:30 AM

+1

Rasho would bring something that this roster doesn't currently have: a proven shot-blocking center who can play next to Duncan. He also has the necessary corporate knowledge.

Of course, the Spurs are running out of roster spots, and Rasho would be the 7th big, which is one too many. If any of this "Bonner + Finley for (insert SG or SF here)" comes true, the roster spot opens up and Rasho makes sense.