PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Roster Moves

Strokin3's
07-21-2009, 12:47 PM
I notice that your Spurs need a backup center just like my Pistons need a backup center. McDyess can play the position for you guys, but he will most likely start? Any moves you guys see the Spurs making to round out the roster? What is the rotation or depth chart of the Spurs going into the season?

Parker/Hill

Finley/Ginobli

Jefferson/Ginobli

McDyess/Blair/Bonner

Timmy D/Blair/Bonner

Will Ginobli start or play the 6th man role? This is just a quick observation, please share opposing view points on how the Spur's roster will unfold. Go Pistons!! Go Spurs!!

SsKSpurs21
07-21-2009, 12:55 PM
i think mcdyess and ian mahinmi are going to be the centers. duncan and blair will be the PFs.

hater
07-21-2009, 12:58 PM
backup center

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_9dJ0mJPRz1A/SGPXpYSgk5I/AAAAAAAAABQ/G1nnqkWORpQ/s320/mahinmi_250_071121.jpeg

jgome21
07-21-2009, 01:24 PM
Parker/Hill
Mason/Ginobili/Hill
Jefferson/Finley/Hairston
Duncan/Blair/Bonner
McDyess/Mahinmi/Bonner

bigdog
07-21-2009, 01:26 PM
I notice that your Spurs need a backup center just like my Pistons need a backup center. McDyess can play the position for you guys, but he will most likely start? Any moves you guys see the Spurs making to round out the roster? What is the rotation or depth chart of the Spurs going into the season?

Parker/Hill

Finley/Ginobli

Jefferson/Ginobli

McDyess/Blair/Bonner

Timmy D/Blair/Bonner

Will Ginobli start or play the 6th man role? This is just a quick observation, please share opposing view points on how the Spur's roster will unfold. Go Pistons!! Go Spurs!!

Did you completely forget that Roger Mason, Jr. existed???

galvatron3000
07-21-2009, 01:30 PM

:downspin::rollin:lmao

bigdog
07-21-2009, 01:38 PM
This is how I think the lineup will look, barring any other roster moves.

McDyess/Mahinmi/Bonner
Duncan/Blair/Haislip
Ginobili/Mason/Williams
Parker/Hill/McClinton(Toros)

bishopospurs
07-21-2009, 01:43 PM
Parker/Hill
Mason/Ginobili/Hill
Duncan/Blair/Bonner
McDyess/Mahinmi/Bonner
I would put Hasilip in there somewhere behind Jefferson at the 3 in some situations and replacing Bonner all together. There is no way to gauge how the spurs are intending on playing Haislip, he is tall and I don't think anyone has a clear idea as to where he fits in.
Secondly there is Marcus Williams. Should Haislip show he is what the spurs think he is I could see the spurs dumping Fin and Bonner, but not before they have a clear idea as to what they have in the so many young, athletic, and unproven commodities.
I know Jack played poorly in summer league, but I think he finally figured out he can be affective penetrating and can create his own shot with the ball. The first games he was moving without the ball to get open and forcing shots, I still think he will be at least in the D League with some call ups to give him a chance to contribute during the regular season.

DocJerome
07-21-2009, 01:58 PM
Haislip is the real X factor, followed by Mahinmi.

Strokin3's
07-21-2009, 02:07 PM
This is how I think the lineup will look, barring any other roster moves.

McDyess/Mahinmi/Bonner
Duncan/Blair/Haislip
Ginobili/Mason/Williams
Parker/Hill/McClinton(Toros)

My lineup was a very quick, off the top of my head, lineup to spark conversation, it wasn't a well thought out finished product. That being said, I probably left off more players that just Mason, but was looking to spark conversation. When you post a lineup though, the point guard position usually goes on top with your center at the bottom. Looking at your lineup, one would think that McDyess was your point guard and Tony Parker was your center. Just sayin, since you wanted to bust my chops about Mason. Your lineup otherwise looks alright to me, except a few things. Correct me if I am wrong, but Finley was the starting shooting guard with Ginobli coming off the bench last year? So Ginobli will start this year, is that confirmed by coach Pop or just an observation? I live in Michigan so I don't have the privilege to watch the Spurs on TV much or time to follow them as much as I would like to, especially due to the Pistons taking most of my time, so if I am not up to par on a few things take it easy on me. :) Go Pistons!! Go Spurs!!

Marcus Bryant
07-21-2009, 02:13 PM
Strokin3"s?

SamoanTD
07-21-2009, 02:30 PM
Haislip is the real X factor, followed by Mahinmi.
I wuz about ta say did everybody just forget about haislip we do have him signed up 2

DBMethos
07-21-2009, 02:33 PM
I think Ian is definitely the X factor this year. The less we expect out of Haislip, the better off we'll be once the season rolls around.

Spurs_210
07-21-2009, 02:43 PM
His name ghost like him in the playoffs...

mookie2001
07-21-2009, 03:12 PM
help him out timvp

these are the threads he loves, the bread and butter of spurstalk

DPG21920
07-21-2009, 03:13 PM
I feel like I am in Groundhog day with the same discussions over and over.

angelbelow
07-21-2009, 03:20 PM
I personally wouldn't mind signing an additional big man (and hopefully trade at least one player away..finley/bonner) just as a veteran defensive minded big. Either way we'll be in good shape.

Strokin3's
07-21-2009, 03:25 PM
Strokin3"s?

Marcus Bryant?

Darkwaters
07-21-2009, 03:34 PM
I'm really starting to warm up to Haislip. Hes obviously turned some heads in Europe and done a good job out there. And his contract is incredibly cheap. This offseason has been especially exciting with Jefferson and McDyess, a big draft, and then a stacked summer league team full of draft picks this year and previous. But the Haislip signing has been very low-key. It came sandwiched between the draft, Hairston signing and McDyess signing and lost in the flow. But hes a guy with tools that could be very helpful. Hes completely unproven on the NBA (and is actually officially a bust until further notice). But hes been playing at a high level for a while now and has a skill-set that seems likely to translate well.

Haislip is a guy to keep your eye on. The ultimate low risk high reward signing.

mudyez
07-21-2009, 03:42 PM
I'd say:

Parker/Hill
Mason/Ginobili/Hairston
Jefferson/Finley
McDyess/Bonner/Blair
Duncan/Mahinmi

at the start of the season...with the chance for Blair, Haislip and Hairston to snatch more minutes...so hopefully next year we are more like:

Parker/Hill
Mason/Ginobili
Jefferson/Hairston/Haislip
McDyess/Blair/Bonner
Duncan/Mahinmi

overall a real second backup center would be great...a Rasho type player which realy can bang with the bigs of the league...most of our backups are to thin or small

mookie2001
07-21-2009, 03:49 PM
I'd say:

Parker/Hill
Mason/Ginobili/Hairston
Jefferson/Finley
McDyess/Bonner/Blair
Duncan/Mahinmi

at the start of the season...with the chance for Blair, Haislip and Hairston to snatch more minutes...so hopefully next year we are more like:

Parker/Hill
Mason/Ginobili
Jefferson/Hairston/Haislip
McDyess/Blair/Bonner
Duncan/Mahinmi

wow those are some crazy lineup changes

mudyez
07-21-2009, 04:01 PM
wow those are some crazy lineup changes

I think for a player like Hairston it makes abig difference of beeing on the brink of NBDL, or beeing a major backup...and the discussion of Bonner/Blair is also of big importance

I dont think, one of the starters has to fear lossing his jobs, or if so, then its Mason, but I think Manu will stay as 6th man (actually it makes even more sense now, than before)

mudyez
07-21-2009, 04:03 PM
btw.: Duncan should be listed as our center...Yao is out, so he doesn't have to fear loosing his ASG starter spot to him(ot that he does)

ceperez
07-21-2009, 04:14 PM
I would put Hasilip in there somewhere behind Jefferson at the 3 in some situations and replacing Bonner all together. There is no way to gauge how the spurs are intending on playing Haislip, he is tall and I don't think anyone has a clear idea as to where he fits in.
Secondly there is Marcus Williams. Should Haislip show he is what the spurs think he is I could see the spurs dumping Fin and Bonner, but not before they have a clear idea as to what they have in the so many young, athletic, and unproven commodities.

Agree that Haislip should be a 3, despite being 6'10". Though he may be quite effective playing help defense blocking shots.

Marcus Williams should play the 1 or 2. He's too thin to be effective enough at the 3. However his length would be bothersome at the 1 and 2 spot.

Jack McClinton should not be signed. The Magic proved once and for all (against the Cavs small guards) that small guards aren't go to hack it come playoff time.

Demo Dick Marcinko
07-21-2009, 04:30 PM
It would be icing on the cake if Haislip can turn into someone who can match up with the Odoms in particular but also Rashard Lewis and Kevin Durant. I don't know much about his defense but being on the team, with the team mates he has, and being in the system he's in, I can't help but think that his defense will only improve from where it's at now.

Our X factors this year:
(1) a healthy Tim and Manu
(2) Blair
(2a) George Hill
(3) Haislip even more then Ian (sorry I haven't developed the confidence in Ian yet.)
(4) Marcus Camby or Glen Davis and to be honest I'm not even sure we have the money for Davis or can swing a trade for Camby with Bonner & Fin and maybe even Williams as throw ins, but like John Lennon said, "Imagine".:toast

mookie2001
07-21-2009, 04:38 PM
ohh no.

mudyez
07-21-2009, 04:53 PM
Jack McClinton should not be signed. The Magic proved once and for all (against the Cavs small guards) that small guards aren't go to hack it come playoff time.

I wouldnt say, that we should sign McClinton, but I think we could avoid problems like the Cavs had them, with Hill playing the point, while defending the SG's.

lets see, what McClinton can do in Austin!

Galileo
07-21-2009, 06:15 PM
Bonner is going to start at center.

mystargtr34
07-21-2009, 08:05 PM
Strokin3"s?

:lol

Good one.

TheDarkSide.
07-21-2009, 09:16 PM
chances the spurs sign Udoka? haha

coyotes_geek
07-21-2009, 09:21 PM
Im going out on a limb and say TD starts at Center and Blair at PF.

Love Blair, but no. He's not going to start next to Duncan this year. It's Duncan and McDyess in the starting lineup.

DPG21920
07-21-2009, 09:25 PM
God. People who get ultra frustrated at "mad scientist" Pop are going to go absolutely nuts this year. He is going to have to go through a ton of rotational changes and people are going to freak out.

Sometimes, such as last season, Pop does try and get too smart and it back fires. He knows what he is doing, but it could be a long season of players not knowing their roles until quite late in the season.

completely deck
07-28-2009, 03:52 PM
McDyess/Bonner/Ratliff/Mahinmi
Duncan/Blair/Haislip
Ginobili/Mason/Williams
Parker/Hill

This is the current roster, isn't it?

bigdog
07-28-2009, 06:19 PM
McDyess/Mahinmi/Ratliff
Duncan/Blair/Haislip/Bonner
Ginobili/Mason/Williams
Parker/Hill

this is how the lineup will look.

anonoftheinternets
07-28-2009, 06:32 PM
McDyess/Mahinmi/Ratliff
Ginobili/Mason/Williams
Parker/Hill

man if jefferson bombs coz of all his wedding blues .. or some shit ..were screwed, we only have finley, and no lock down brucie ... i really hope hariston is the real deal, would help so much ...

i have faith in hill after SL and last year PO, so PG looks a bit better.

Solid D
07-28-2009, 06:43 PM
Three Deep

Duncan.....Ratliff.....Mahinmi
McDyess...Blair.......Bonner
Jefferson...Finley.....Haislip
Mason......Ginobili....Hairston
Parker.......Hill........Williams

Spurs_210
07-28-2009, 07:12 PM
Bonner is going to start at center.

completely deck
07-28-2009, 07:19 PM
McDyess/Mahinmi/Ratliff
Ginobili/Mason/Williams
Parker/Hill

who is IR, Hairston and Williams?

waly.mg
07-28-2009, 07:25 PM
Bonner for me is more a Small Foward than a center because heīs a shooter and not a low post scorer, heīs not Horry who can shoot and play in the paint or Nowitzki

I want more Blair and Haislip as TD Backup than Bonner, in this roster Finlet canīt be SF, probably only SG

In Fact Bonner canīt stop Nowitzki

Solid D
07-28-2009, 07:30 PM
Bonner for me is more a Small Foward than a center because heīs a shooter and not a low post scorer, heīs not Horry who can shoot and play in the paint or Nowitzki

I want more Blair and Haislip as TD Backup than Bonner, in this roster Finlet canīt be SF, probably only SG

In Fact Bonner canīt stop Nowitzki

Bonner is bigger and slower than Haislip. I shudder to think of Matt defending opposing Wing players.

Thompson
07-28-2009, 07:37 PM
Can Haislip play small forward?

Solid D
07-28-2009, 07:40 PM
We're fixing to find out. He was brought in to play a combo 3-4.

bigdog
07-28-2009, 08:00 PM

Some think he can. He has the athletic tools to do it, but I still see him as a 4.

ohmwrecker
07-28-2009, 08:33 PM

I think it will depend on match-ups and, of course, whether he is on the active roster.

barbacoataco
07-28-2009, 08:55 PM
I'm not convinced that both Williams and Hairston make the team. I hope they do, but I just don't see the Spurs opening the season with 15 players. They like to leave one spot open, plus with the luxury tax they will be playing double whatever the 15th spot makes.

If Gist makes it clear he doesn't want to go to Europe, and he doesn't make the team, what happens then? Don't the Spurs lose his rights?

ploto
07-28-2009, 09:02 PM
Three Deep

Duncan.....Ratliff.....Mahinmi
McDyess...Blair.......Bonner
Jefferson...Finley.....Haislip
Mason......Ginobili....Hairston
Parker.......Hill........Williams

I also think Mason will start with Manu off the bench with Hill. I also think that early on, Ian will get more chance to play while Ratliff takes it easy, but when push comes to shove, Ratliff will play more.

Solid D
07-28-2009, 09:07 PM
I also think Mason will start with Manu off the bench with Hill. I also think that early on, Ian will get more chance to play while Ratliff takes it easy, but when push comes to shove, Ratliff will play more.

Yeah, hope so.

End of games (close games):

Duncan
McDyess
Jefferson
Ginobili
Parker

peskypesky
07-28-2009, 09:15 PM
I'd say:

Parker/Hill
Mason/Ginobili/Hairston
Jefferson/Finley
McDyess/Bonner/Blair
Duncan/Mahinmi

I agree with this for the most part. But I think Blair will take Bonner's PF minutes as the season goes on. And I think Bonner may play backup center more than Mahinmi in the beginning of the season.

spursnatic
07-28-2009, 09:47 PM
We need to sign Freaking Allan Houston?...I seen him on Pro's vs Joe's a few weeks ago...That dude can still shoot with the best of them!!!...I swear he could still probably average close to 15 pts. a game off the bench?....Just give him a little time to get back into baketball shape...I guarantee you he can still play.....

completely deck
07-28-2009, 10:14 PM
We need to sign Freaking Allan Houston?...I seen him on Pro's vs Joe's a few weeks ago...That dude can still shoot with the best of them!!!...I swear he could still probably average close to 15 pts. a game off the bench?....Just give him a little time to get back into baketball shape...I guarantee you he can still play.....

:pctoss

timtonymanurich
07-28-2009, 10:26 PM
:ban:
:pctoss

I chse the BAN because I never see him on any posts....
uhh...now I think I know why....

Blackjack
07-28-2009, 10:40 PM
Strokin3"s?

Three Deep

:lol

ohmwrecker
07-28-2009, 10:45 PM
The spurs should sign me. I am sitting here at my desk throwing wadded up pieces of paper at a trashcan and I haven't missed once.

peskypesky
07-28-2009, 11:01 PM
Im going out on a limb and say TD starts at Center and Blair at PF.

i would love that!

Dalamar_the_Dark
07-29-2009, 12:46 AM
Somehow I think our starting lineup is going to morph into something like this after a while.

Probably going to start with Parker, Mason, Jefferson, Duncan and Bonner at the start of the season.

Then move into something like Parker Mason, Jefferson, Duncan and Ratliff.

Manu and McDyess first ones off the bench. Blair will probably get mins to control Duncan, McDyess and Ratliff's mins in view of the playoffs.

Gist is not going to make the team. Hariston is going to be in the team. My thoughts are that Haislip is going to get cut at some point. Somehow I think that his contract isnt guaranteed all the way. Kori can you confirm this?

celldweller
07-29-2009, 01:03 AM
Somehow I think our starting lineup is going to morph into something like this after a while.

Probably going to start with Parker, Mason, Jefferson, Duncan and Bonner at the start of the season.

Then move into something like Parker Mason, Jefferson, Duncan and Ratliff.

Manu and McDyess first ones off the bench. Blair will probably get mins to control Duncan, McDyess and Ratliff's mins in view of the playoffs.

Gist is not going to make the team. Hariston is going to be in the team. My thoughts are that Haislip is going to get cut at some point. Somehow I think that his contract isnt guaranteed all the way. Kori can you confirm this?

I think the Bonner starting ship has sailed.

mountainballer
07-29-2009, 03:10 AM
I don't see much sense to discuss the roster just focused on positions and the question who starts and who is the backup. IMO a roster can only be discussed in rotations.

considering talent the Spurs might have the best line up ever in Tony-Manu-RJ-Dice-Tim. after this 5 there is a significant gap.
so this 5 should also see the most minutes (without health concerns), no matter if this is also the starting line up.
so the next question is, who is the 3rd best wing, the 3rd best big and the 2nd best PG.
as it looks right now, it's Mason and Hill in the back court.
the biggest open question IMO is, who takes the 3rd spot in the big rotation. considering the potential it would be Blair, but it's also naive to assume a 20 years old rookie can step in and constantly contribute. in the best case he can, in a more realistic scenario Blair will struggle on defense and we also need to wait how he looks after 40-50 NBA games. so, even if most people will hate the outlook, from the current roster Bonner has the best chance to be the 3rd big and Blair will be #4. (if Haislip surprises and contributes, he might push Bonner out of the rotation).
the #4 in the wing rotation will be Finley. it would also be a big surprise if either Hairston or Williams could push him out of the rotation. might happen, if RJ shoots the 3s well enough and Mason as well as last year. then the better defense from Hairston could become more important than Finley's shooting. (but this also won't happen till mid season)

at season start the regular season rotation should be:

PG: Tony - Hill
Wing: RJ - Manu - Mason - Finley
Big: Tim - Dice - Bonner - Blair

Hairston and Haislip will complete the 12 man roster and see garbage minutes (maybe some more in B2B). Ian, MW and Ratliff will need to wait for an injury of one from the first 12 or they can beat one of them. (like Ian might take the spot of Haislip, if he once again struggles to compete in the NBA)

mudyez
07-29-2009, 03:32 AM
I don't see much sense to discuss the roster just focused on positions and the question who starts and who is the backup. IMO a roster can only be discussed in rotations.

considering talent the Spurs might have the best line up ever in Tony-Manu-RJ-Dice-Tim. after this 5 there is a significant gap.
so this 5 should also see the most minutes (without health concerns), no matter if this is also the starting line up.
so the next question is, who is the 3rd best wing, the 3rd best big and the 2nd best PG.
as it looks right now, it's Mason and Hill in the back court.
the biggest open question IMO is, who takes the 3rd spot in the big rotation. considering the potential it would be Blair, but it's also naive to assume a 20 years old rookie can step in and constantly contribute. in the best case he can, in a more realistic scenario Blair will struggle on defense and we also need to wait how he looks after 40-50 NBA games. so, even if most people will hate the outlook, from the current roster he has the best chance to be the 3rd big and Blair will be #4. (if Haislip surprises and contributes, he might push Bonner out of the rotation).
the #4 in the wing rotation will be Finley. it would also be a big surprise if either Hairston or Williams could push him out of the rotation. might happen, if RJ shoots the 3s well enough and Mason as well as last year. then the better defense from Hairston could become more important than Finley's shooting. (but this also won't happen till mid season)

at season start the regular season rotation should be:

PG: Tony - Hill
Wing: RJ - Manu - Mason - Finley
Big: Tim - Dice - Bonner - Blair

Hairston and Haislip will complete the 12 man roster and see garbage minutes (maybe some more in B2B). Ian, MW and Ratliff will need to wait for an injury of one from the first 12 or they can beat one of them. (like Ian might take the spot of Haislip, if he once again struggles to compete in the NBA)

100% agree...even though you spoke about Bonner without really mentioning him ;)

mountainballer
07-29-2009, 04:47 AM
100% agree...even though you spoke about Bonner without really mentioning him ;)

uh right, wonder what Freud would call this. Freudian skip?

Da Spurs
07-29-2009, 11:16 AM
McDyess will start. Bank on it. Bonner has gone to end of the bench.