PDA

View Full Version : Blinebury: Spurs Ready To Go Again

duncan228
07-21-2009, 04:23 PM
Hoopsworld.

Blinebury: Spurs Ready To Go Again (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?STORY_ID=13390)
By: Fran Blinebury

It's an old story.

Actually, that's exactly why it gets re-circulated like the stale air inside a plane cabin.

The San Antonio Spurs are too old, too worn out, too broken down, too yesterday's-news to still be contenders for the NBA title.

It was the story that grew wobbly, aging legs again last spring when the Spurs were knocked out in the first round of the playoffs for the first time since 2000 and the only time in Tim Duncan's career when he was healthy enough to take the floor.

With Manu Ginobili injured and watching from the bench, the Spurs were no match for the Dallas Mavericks in the opening round and once again there were plenty of people ready to turn the page.

But here they are back with a summertime infusion of athleticism and veteran know-how to place themselves right back at the top of the heap as the team to beat in the Southwest Division and a worthy challenger to the defending champion Los Angeles Lakers.

Coach Gregg Popovich and General Manager R.C. Buford – the best 1-2 front office combination in the league – are firmly committed to their core trio and figure they've still got enough left for at least one more run at the Larry O'Brien Trophy.

The Spurs went from relics to relevant in three quick moves that landed Richard Jefferson, DeJuan Blair and Antonio McDyess.

The Spurs made their boldest change by bringing in wing man Jefferson from Milwaukee. The arrival of Jefferson will not only lower the average age of the Spurs from something right below Social Security level, but should also allow them to get enough easy fastbreak baskets to take some of the burden off their half-court offense. That the Spurs only gave up the aging Bruce Bowen and Kurt Thomas along with the average Fabricio Oberto in the deal made it only more of a positive transaction.

Jefferson has the high-flying, fast-moving ability that the Spurs have lacked in their offense for years now. Too many of their games and too many of their offensive possessions were grind-it-out affairs that had the potential to bog down.

The next move was to lure the free agent McDyess to the Alamo City, where he'll fit in nicely to give San Antonio the rebounding and scoring punch needed off the bench, along with the potential to step into the starting lineup as needed.

The bonus addition came when Blair fell into the Spurs' laps in the second round of the draft. With the 37th pick overall, the 6-7 Blair – with an extra-long wingspan – is a high-energy type who can make things happen while gobbling up enough rebounds and loose balls to keep even the demanding Popovich happy.

Of course, the resurrection of the Spurs still centers on the three-headed monster of Duncan, Ginobili and Parker. The only question is whether Ginobili, 32, can return healthy following a season where injuries to both his left ankle and right leg limited him to only 44 games all season and kept him out of the playoffs.

So much of the Spurs' struggle last year was directly related to Ginobili's ability to be himself. He entered the season with a balky left ankle, having re-injured it at the Olympics in Beijing and everybody knew it was only going to be a matter of time before it took him out of the lineup. When he finally did get onto the floor, Ginobili was not able to cut and run and cause the havoc at both ends that elevates his game. When he injured his right leg and went to the sidelines for good, the Spurs knew their season was done and spent the rest of the schedule and the playoffs just marking time.

Now Ginobili is not only rehabilitated, but motivated to show the world and the Spurs that he can still be up to his old tricks. This is the last year of his contract ($10 million) and now he's got to prove it. The simple truth is the Spurs are still a good team without him, but can only reach the level of a real contender when he's weaving through traffic and working his magic.

At 33, Duncan has 12 NBA seasons under his belt, but was still good enough to earn All-NBA second team honors last season, played solidly in the playoff loss to Dallas and continues on what seems to be his inexorable march toward going down as the greatest power forward in the history of the game.

As long as his wheels are healthy, Duncan can still carry the Spurs on his back and take them deep into the playoffs, perhaps as far as to one more title.

The good news is that Duncan will have more than capable help this time around from the veteran McDyess, who isn't the high-flying, skywalker anymore, but still has the ability to take his man off the dribble and knock in the outside jumper. McDyess gives the Spurs the scoring punch that has been desperately lacking up front off their bench and his rebounding will help as well.

While Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Chauncey Billups and even the venerable Jason Kidd keep getting the due at the point in the Western Conference, Parker somehow manages to keep raising the level of his game with very few outside of San Antonio noticing.

Now entering his ninth NBA season, it's remarkable to think how far Parker has progressed since those early days when his main role was to be head coach Popovich's whipping boy. He's coming off a season where averaged 22 points, shot 50.6 percent from the field and dished out 6.9 assists.

The best part if you're the Spurs is that Parker is still only 27 years old and just entering what should be the prime of his career.

With Ginobili entering the final year of his contract, this season will go a long way toward determining the future track of the Spurs.

Duncan, Parker and Ginobili have been the core of the NBA's most successful franchise over the past decade and with the off-season additions that have been made, there's every reason to think they can be a real threat again. It's an old story. But not done yet

Yogurt210
07-21-2009, 05:13 PM
why not mention Haislip and Hairston and healthy Ian?

rayray2k8
07-21-2009, 05:29 PM
why not mention Haislip and Hairston and healthy Ian?

Jefferson, Blair and Mcdyess are the most noticeable and most significant upgrades and are the reasons why the spurs are
relevant again.

We really don't know if Hairston will even make a crack in the rotation, though he's giving the spurs a reason to sign him on 15 man roster
after his performance in the summer league.

Haislip might not get any playing time and we're not sure if Ian will be ready for the regular season.

Blair is a rookie, that's the only "bad" thing I can think about him. :lol

The good thing about this season is that the spurs are very deep this year. The deepest I've ever seen them, probably
deeper than the 2003 team.

The downside about this roster is that half of the squad is inexperienced and unproven.
But you can't call the spurs old anymore. :)

Dex
07-21-2009, 05:48 PM
I never get tired of reading this story. :)

Muser
07-21-2009, 05:50 PM
Just for the record, how long have the spurs been too old? It seems like forever..

duncan228
07-21-2009, 05:55 PM
I never get tired of reading this story. :)

Sorry if it's been posted already. :oops

I searched, found this Blinebury, but I didn't see this one. It's dated today.

Southwest Division breakdown: Spurs come back to life

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131407

Dex
07-21-2009, 06:24 PM
Sorry if it's been posted already. :oops

I searched, found this Blinebury, but I didn't see this one. It's dated today.

Southwest Division breakdown: Spurs come back to life

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131407

lol, no worries 228.

I really meant that I never get tired of reading these kind of "Not Dead Yet" articles. It's as predictable as a summertime blockbuster.

Keep up the fine work. :toast

SpursFanInAustin
07-21-2009, 06:30 PM
The next move was to lure the free agent McDyess to the Alamo City, where he'll fit in nicely to give San Antonio the rebounding and scoring punch needed off the bench, along with the potential to step into the starting lineup as needed.

Does this mean that Bonner is still the starting 5 over McDyess? Gosh, I hope not.

The downside about this roster is that half of the squad is inexperienced and unproven.
But you can't call the spurs old anymore.

But they still do, even with the addition of RJ, the Spurs haters/doubters say RJ, while at 29, is aging and not as explosive as in years past, and point to the McDyess signing (at age 34) as "getting older." Plus they look at the 2 leaders, Duncan and Manu at age 33 and 32 making us an old team.

robert1886
07-21-2009, 06:58 PM
yea well if people are still going to say we are old look at the stupid celtics some people do mention that they are getting old but for the most part not many do and everybody seems to think they are going to the championship since they picked up wallace...its pretty simple everybody outside of spurs land hates the spurs

slick'81
07-21-2009, 07:02 PM
yeah spurs arent young for sure but hopefullly not having to rely on bonner/finley as much along with getting a legit pf in mcdyess and athletic wing in jefferson we have gotten better.

and thats all that matters

honestfool84
07-21-2009, 07:10 PM
Now entering his ninth NBA season....Parker

WOW.
time flies..it seems like he's only starting his sixth season.

Spur|n|Austin
07-21-2009, 07:17 PM
Does this mean that Bonner is still the starting 5 over McDyess? Gosh, I hope not.

I doubt this hoopsworld writer knows the Spurs starting lineup for the 09-10 season, but I also hope not.

Summers
07-21-2009, 08:30 PM
WOW.
time flies..it seems like he's only starting his sixth season.

It seems like only yesterday we couldn't understand a word he was saying. :)

Knoxxx
07-21-2009, 09:49 PM
Haislip might not get any playing time and we're not sure if Ian will be ready for the regular season.

I don't see any reason Ian wouldn't be ready for the season since he looked perfectly healthy in the SL. Both he and Haislip could be valuable role players. Ian can help guard some of the true centers while Haislip figures to match up with the athletic 3/4s and permiter bigs such as Dirk. So I see their minutes being highly situational and complementary to the primary 3 bigs in Duncan/Dice/Blair. I think Blair will be too productive to ride a lot of pine. Bonner still has value as an insurance big for spot minutes that knows the system, should Blair/Haislip/Ian develop more slowly than we hope they do.