PDA

View Full Version : DeJuan Blair NBA Player Comparison

mabrignani
07-22-2009, 01:24 AM
He reminds me of Malik Rose. Anyone agree?

mabrignani
07-22-2009, 01:24 AM
dare i say *a better* malik rose...

bugoy
07-22-2009, 01:25 AM
speaking of malik rose...does his sandwich shop still exist?

MaNu4Tres
07-22-2009, 01:34 AM
Less mobility than prime-Malik. I'd go out on a limb and say Elton Brand without the shot-blocking ability and the refined all around offensive game withing 18 feet.

Here's some statistics to compare:

Elton Brand - http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/duke/elton-brand

DeJuan Blair - http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/pittsburgh/dejuan-blair

kobyz
07-22-2009, 01:44 AM
Elton Brand is 6'9 Blair is 6'7

MaNu4Tres
07-22-2009, 01:54 AM
Elton Brand is 6'9 Blair is 6'7

Was the topic, " DeJuan Blair NBA Player height comparison"?

Man In Black
07-22-2009, 01:56 AM
EB is really 6'8" They both have freakishly long arms but EB has a better sense of timing to get his blocks. DB however has a different mindset, "GET BALL, COLLECT CHECK!" I haven't checked the stat background but I'm under the impression that DB's rebound rate is HIGHER than EB's was in college. :downspin:

Fernando TD21
07-22-2009, 01:57 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130986

MaNu4Tres
07-22-2009, 01:59 AM
EB is really 6'8" They both have freakishly long arms but EB has a better sense of timing to get his blocks. DB however has a different mindset, "GET BALL, COLLECT CHECK!" I haven't checked the stat background but I'm under the impression that DB's rebound rate is HIGHER than EB's was in college. :downspin:

DB was the better rebounder in college, while Brand was a better shot blocker due to a 7'5" wingspan and great timing as you said.

07-22-2009, 02:02 AM
he really just reminds me of millsap. long arms, developing offense, little shotblocking, and good rebounder.

Man In Black
07-22-2009, 02:29 AM
I think the Grizzly Blair will be able to occupy space better than Milsap.

Don't know if you guys saw this NYT article about him.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/26/sports/ncaabasketball/26pitt.html?_r=3

BOSTON — There is no way to get around it, literally or metaphorically. Teammates blush. Coaches marvel. DeJuan Blair himself is reticent to talk about it.

But the biggest asset of the brightest star for top-seeded Pittsburgh is Blair’s derrière.

Don’t laugh. Blair has enough back to make Sir Mix-A-Lot and rival coaches envious. As Pittsburgh faces No. 4 Xavier on Thursday night, with the program’s first regional final appearance since 1974 at stake, the Panthers will be led by Blair’s behind. Blair is listed at 6 feet 7 inches and 265 pounds, but the height is a bit exaggerated and the weight is probably a bit conservative.

Blair, a sophomore, has many attributes that led a co-Big East player of the year award. He has hands like suction cups, the energy of an overcaffeinated kindergartner and the agility of a tightrope walker. But what makes him an elite player is how all his strength, dexterity and athleticism mix with his distinctive frame.

“Its freakish how well his feet move with that girth, that size of a butt,” said the former Pitt assistant Mike Rice, now the coach at Robert Morris. “The way that he uses it, it’s unfair.”

So how can a big backside be an asset? Look at 7-3 Hasheem Thabeet, who shared the conference player of the year award with Blair despite being overwhelmed in Pittsburgh’s two victories over UConn this season. Blair is eight inches shorter yet in their first matchup scored 17 more points and grabbed 19 more rebounds than Thabeet, who is listed at 263 pounds.

“Width can make up for size,” Pittsburgh Coach Jamie Dixon said.

Rice said that post play was all about balance. Players use head fakes, ball fakes and elbows to try to get their defender off balance. All Blair has to do is swing his hips.

“Hasheem Thabeet has such trouble with him because DeJuan is always knocking him off-balance with his derrière,” Rice said. “And he creates space so a 6-foot-7 guy can score on a 7-foot-3 guy.”

There are a few precedents for the mix of Blair’s body type and athleticism, but not many. Numerous coaches brought up Charles Barkley and Robert Traylor, known as Tractor. The Boston Globe basketball aficionado Bob Ryan compares him to Wes Unseld because of the combination of size and ability to burst up and snatch rebounds.

Slowing down Blair is a primary concern for the Xavier coaching staff, which will counter Blair with the 6-9, 255-pound center Jason Love. The Xavier assistant Chris Mack said their focus was on not allowing Blair to seal defenders in the post. Mack said the teams he was able do that against were the teams he produced 20 points and 20 rebounds against.

“A lot of times you get guys who are bigger, but they don’t necessarily know how to use what they have,” Mack said. “He’s exceptional once he gets position at being able to hold that position. Obviously when you’re that wide, it’s easier to get that position.”

But Blair’s game has more nuance to it than simply rocking his hips and pushing people out of the way. The Pittsburgh associate head coach Tom Herrion marvels at how Blair uses his rear end to create angles, something he said took more than physical strength.

“What’s amazing about him is how subtle and legal he plays with that,” Herrion said. “He’s not a brute player. It’s all subtle. His feel and his instincts allow him to take advantage of his body.”

The maestro of properly using one’s backside is Barkley, who earned the nickname the Round Mound of Rebound and angled his way into a Hall of Fame career. In a 1984 Sports Illustrated article, the 6-4 Barkley articulated why he had success against taller centers like 6-11 Melvin Turpin.

“It’s easier for me to get low,” he said. “I can put my butt on Melvin’s legs, but Melvin can only put his legs on my butt.”

Blair puts it this way: “It’s hard to get around my wide body. Why not push people out of the way with it?”

When Rice scouted Blair at Schenley High School, which is just blocks from the Pitt campus, he described Blair’s battles against high school players as “comical.”

He said he would use his backside to seal off or box out players, perfectly legally, and be called for fouls.

“It would be plays that were incredible plays, but kids fell down and the referees would feel sorry for them,” Rice said, laughing at the memory.

And while the topic may be a bit taboo, everyone who has scouted the Panthers comes away impressed.

“I’ve been trying to get some of our guys to use their butts,” the Villanova assistant coach Doug West said. “Some days I’ll say: ‘Use your derrière, man. Use what God gave you.’ ”

Blair started at an early age. He has not looked back.

mountainballer
07-22-2009, 02:45 AM
“Its freakish how well his feet move with that girth, that size of a butt,” said the former Pitt assistant Mike Rice, now the coach at Robert Morris. “The way that he uses it, it’s unfair.”

that's the advantage of not having ACLs. his knees can move lateral. it's like an additional joint.
(ok, sorry, I know this is getting old)

buttsR4rebounding
07-22-2009, 02:48 AM
I think the Grizzly Blair will be able to occupy space better than Milsap.

Don't know if you guys saw this NYT article about him.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/26/sports/ncaabasketball/26pitt.html?_r=3

BOSTON — There is no way to get around it, literally or metaphorically. Teammates blush. Coaches marvel. DeJuan Blair himself is reticent to talk about it.

But the biggest asset of the brightest star for top-seeded Pittsburgh is Blair’s derrière.

Don’t laugh. Blair has enough back to make Sir Mix-A-Lot and rival coaches envious. As Pittsburgh faces No. 4 Xavier on Thursday night, with the program’s first regional final appearance since 1974 at stake, the Panthers will be led by Blair’s behind. Blair is listed at 6 feet 7 inches and 265 pounds, but the height is a bit exaggerated and the weight is probably a bit conservative.

Blair, a sophomore, has many attributes that led a co-Big East player of the year award. He has hands like suction cups, the energy of an overcaffeinated kindergartner and the agility of a tightrope walker. But what makes him an elite player is how all his strength, dexterity and athleticism mix with his distinctive frame.

So how can a big backside be an asset? Look at 7-3 Hasheem Thabeet, who shared the conference player of the year award with Blair despite being overwhelmed in Pittsburgh’s two victories over UConn this season. Blair is eight inches shorter yet in their first matchup scored 17 more points and grabbed 19 more rebounds than Thabeet, who is listed at 263 pounds.

“Width can make up for size,” Pittsburgh Coach Jamie Dixon said.

Rice said that post play was all about balance. Players use head fakes, ball fakes and elbows to try to get their defender off balance. All Blair has to do is swing his hips.

“Hasheem Thabeet has such trouble with him because DeJuan is always knocking him off-balance with his derrière,” Rice said. “And he creates space so a 6-foot-7 guy can score on a 7-foot-3 guy.”

There are a few precedents for the mix of Blair’s body type and athleticism, but not many. Numerous coaches brought up Charles Barkley and Robert Traylor, known as Tractor. The Boston Globe basketball aficionado Bob Ryan compares him to Wes Unseld because of the combination of size and ability to burst up and snatch rebounds.

Slowing down Blair is a primary concern for the Xavier coaching staff, which will counter Blair with the 6-9, 255-pound center Jason Love. The Xavier assistant Chris Mack said their focus was on not allowing Blair to seal defenders in the post. Mack said the teams he was able do that against were the teams he produced 20 points and 20 rebounds against.

“A lot of times you get guys who are bigger, but they don’t necessarily know how to use what they have,” Mack said. “He’s exceptional once he gets position at being able to hold that position. Obviously when you’re that wide, it’s easier to get that position.”

But Blair’s game has more nuance to it than simply rocking his hips and pushing people out of the way. The Pittsburgh associate head coach Tom Herrion marvels at how Blair uses his rear end to create angles, something he said took more than physical strength.

“What’s amazing about him is how subtle and legal he plays with that,” Herrion said. “He’s not a brute player. It’s all subtle. His feel and his instincts allow him to take advantage of his body.”

The maestro of properly using one’s backside is Barkley, who earned the nickname the Round Mound of Rebound and angled his way into a Hall of Fame career. In a 1984 Sports Illustrated article, the 6-4 Barkley articulated why he had success against taller centers like 6-11 Melvin Turpin.

“It’s easier for me to get low,” he said. “I can put my butt on Melvin’s legs, but Melvin can only put his legs on my butt.”

Blair puts it this way: “It’s hard to get around my wide body. Why not push people out of the way with it?”

When Rice scouted Blair at Schenley High School, which is just blocks from the Pitt campus, he described Blair’s battles against high school players as “comical.”

He said he would use his backside to seal off or box out players, perfectly legally, and be called for fouls.

“It would be plays that were incredible plays, but kids fell down and the referees would feel sorry for them,” Rice said, laughing at the memory.

And while the topic may be a bit taboo, everyone who has scouted the Panthers comes away impressed.

“I’ve been trying to get some of our guys to use their butts,” the Villanova assistant coach Doug West said. “Some days I’ll say: ‘Use your derrière, man. Use what God gave you.’ ”

Blair started at an early age. He has not looked back.

"Words to live by"
buttsR4rebounding

Man In Black
07-22-2009, 02:59 AM
http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2009/06/slamonline-mock-draft-dejuan-blair-no-11/

SLAMonline Mock Draft: DeJuan Blair, No. 11
The Pitt native isn’t moving far.

by Zach Lowe

With the 11th pick in the 2009 SLAMonline Mock Draft, the New Jersey Nets select…

DeJuan Blair. Let me stop you right now: I know Blair measured just short of 6-6 in bare feet. I know James Johnson and Earl Clark are here for the taking, and that both are power forward/small forward tweeners with athleticism Blair will never have. I know the Nets could use some backcourt scoring depth, especially if they can convince a contender to take Vince Carter’s insane contract off their hands.

But I’ll be damned if I’m reaching here for a Dukie shooting guard who can’t shoot three-pointers and wasn’t a very efficient offensive player in college—even if Gerald Henderson is almost as tall as Blair.

At its core, this pick is about rebounding. Dudes who can rebound in college can usually rebound in the pros, even if they are not off-the-charts athletic. Kevin Love stepped in and became the best per-minute rebounder in the League, and though he’s listed as four inches taller than Blair, DeJuan’s monster 7-2 wingspan will help make up for his height. He’s got a longer standing reach than Blake Griffin.

And Blair rebounded like a madman in college, pulling down 12.3 per last season, fourth best in college hoops. Nearly half those boards (5.6) were offensive rebounds, and the Nets were the 22nd best (or ninth worst, if you like) offensive rebounding team in the NBA last season. They were strictly average on the defensive glass.

He has great instincts, he’s surprisingly quick off the ground, he’s a slightly better jumper than people give him credit for, and, really, he just knows how to rebound the basketball. He’s also got an epic space-creating ass. His ass is so impactful the freaking New York Times, usually afraid to address any sort of PG-13 topic, wrote an entire story about it (even throwing in a classic NYT wannabe-hip reference to Sir-Mix-A-Lot).

Blair used his ass to score on the interior in college, including owning the likely No. 2 pick, Hasheem Thabeet, whenever Pittsburgh played UConn. He put up the best points-per-possession of every forward DraftExpress tracked. He’s obviously not going to be able to step in and do that in the NBA, and he won’t have to on the Nets, not with Devin Harris and Vince Carter jacking 20 shots each per game. He’s going to have to get rebounds and set nasty screens, and he’ll be able to do that from Day One

This will give him time to do the one thing he’s absolutely going to have to do to eventually justify this pick: Develop a jumper. He took just 0.2 jumpers per game in college, according to DraftExpress. Blair is saying all the right things about taking hundreds of jumpers a day and changing his diet and work habits to keep off the 40 or so pounds he’s dropped since starting his work with David Thorpe in Florida. Of course, players with millions of dollars at stake are going to say all the right things. But you don’t average 15-12 in the Big East as a 6-6 power forward without being a worker. We at the Nets believe Blair is a worker, and we’ve got as sorry a crop of forwards as there is in the NBA.

Glen Davis, a player to whom Blair is often compared, developed a jump shot where none existed before, and he’s about to make himself about $3 or $4 million a season. (By the way, Blair is a much better rebounder than Big Baby).

Blair’s ceiling is probably a 15-9 player in the NBA. Clark and Johnson may have higher ceilings, but they don’t come to the NBA with one ready-made knockout skill. Clark was inefficient on offense and turned the ball over a ton, and Johnson, though he improved his all-around game, is 22 and a bit raw.

The one thing that made us really think: Johnson, with his size (6-8) and athleticism, could become an elite defender, something Blair is never likely to be. But lots of guys with elite tools never learn how to guard properly in the NBA. So in the end, we chose Blair. Rod Thorn wants a “moose.” Who are we to argue?

mountainballer
07-22-2009, 03:05 AM
what about the young Danny Fortson?
(without the bad habits)

Thompson
07-22-2009, 03:06 AM
DeJuan Blair butt comparisons: somewhere between the athleticism of Shaq's butt and the hypnotic power of J-Lo's.

Man In Black
07-22-2009, 03:09 AM
(without the bad habits)

6'7 260 Lbs. That's a good call. Add this line too (without the nagging injuries)

Mr. Body
07-22-2009, 03:09 AM
That game against Xavier in the tourney, Blair didn't shoot very well (5-16) but had 17 rebounds (8 off.), 3 steals, 2 blocks, and 0 turnovers.

DAF86
07-22-2009, 03:19 AM
He reminds me of Malik Rose. Anyone agree?

Of course, but it's too obvious.

mystargtr34
07-22-2009, 03:35 AM
I agree with the poor man's Elton Brand comparison.

hsxvvd
07-22-2009, 03:59 AM
Jerome Lane

K-State Spur
07-22-2009, 07:02 AM
(without the bad habits)

+1. i've thought the same. people forget what a beast he was before his attitude became bigger than his game.

polandprzem
07-22-2009, 07:30 AM
I'd say speedy claxton

TheCerebral1
07-22-2009, 07:31 AM
To me Milsap is a realistic comparison that he can reach. I think he could be as good as Boozer if his offensive game translates.

DynastyBuilder
07-22-2009, 08:10 AM
His build reminds me of Rodney Rogers.

FromWayDowntown
07-22-2009, 09:12 AM
I'd be satisfied with him playing like the first Dejuan Blair if being that means that the Spurs have an effective counter to productive, if undersized, bigs like Millsap.

hater
07-22-2009, 09:25 AM
reminds me of Charles Barkley when rebounding

peskypesky
07-22-2009, 09:33 AM
A thicker Dennis Rodman who can score.

SpuronyourFace
07-22-2009, 09:38 AM
I loved Malik, but gosh, I hope he's better.

bishopospurs
07-22-2009, 09:58 AM
I know we have beat this to death:deadhorse

but I too hope he is better than Malik. I think he is going to be a unique player that ultimately will be compared to in the league. I didn't know he has a longer standing reach than Blake Griffin, that is more important to me than height. From the way this thread reads I think he is going to surprise a lot of people's expectations.

JamStone
07-22-2009, 10:04 AM
Oliver Miller

bishopospurs
07-22-2009, 10:10 AM
Oliver Miller
one can hope, I am thinking a mix of Robert Traylor and Magic Kemp

Vito Corleone
07-22-2009, 10:16 AM
He has the same ceiling as Charles Barkley, only time will tell if he is as good as the chuckster but that to me is his best comparison. The article posted on page one compares him to Wes Unseld which is also a very possible comparison. i remember when Wes knocked us out of the playoffs when we should have won the title so getting the 2nd coming of Wes would be poetic justice.

weebo
07-22-2009, 10:16 AM
Oliver Miller

didn't Oliver Miller eat his way outta the league?

Seventyniner
07-22-2009, 10:27 AM
He has the same ceiling as Charles Barkley, only time will tell if he is as good as the chuckster but that to me is his best comparison. The article posted on page one compares him to Wes Unseld which is also a very possible comparison. i remember when Wes knocked us out of the playoffs when we should have won the title so getting the 2nd coming of Wes would be poetic justice.

Same ceiling as Barkley in that we have a (albeit rather small) chance of another Barkley here? That'd be amazing, but I don't think Blair's ceiling is quite that high.

Unseld was a great player; most of us never even saw him play. Put it this way: if you replaced Blair right now with a young Unseld, he'd be starting, and might be the 3rd best player on the team.

JamStone
07-22-2009, 10:31 AM
didn't Oliver Miller eat his way outta the league?

He's remembered mostly for being a fat ass but I sincerely think there's something to the comparison. Really wide body, long arms, but not ideal height. Oliver wasn't very athletic but more athletic than he appeared. And he knew how to use his size to his advantage. Take away the extreme nature of his weight problem, and it's a fair comparison.

JamStone
07-22-2009, 10:35 AM
Charles Barkley was a freakish athlete. He wasn't that far off from the LeBron type athleticism. Blair doesn't possess that kind of athleticism. Barkley out jumped opponents despite his wide body and girth. I think it's a bit much to compare Blair to Barkley. Not the same ceiling at all, to me.

Maddog
07-22-2009, 11:28 AM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0905/youngest.nba.mvp/images/wes-unseld2.jpg

Cry Havoc
07-22-2009, 11:34 AM
In NBA 2k9, Blair is absolutely freaking HUGE with the new roster update. Dude looks like a short version of Shaq. Huge.

mudyez
07-22-2009, 11:42 AM
I think for beginners a combination of Malik and Milsap should be a good fit!

and after all its about comparison in terms of style, isnt it? we shouldn't judge about his ceiling, without seeing him at least once or twice on an NBA court.

HarlemHeat37
07-22-2009, 11:46 AM
Danny Fortson is probably the best comparison..as long as he doesn't have any off-court problems and works hard, which is what should be expected from a good dude like Blair, then he'll be what Fortson should have been..

ambchang
07-22-2009, 12:36 PM

I would say that as much I wanted it to happen, Blair will have no chance in winning the MVP like Barkley and Unseld did.

JamStone
07-22-2009, 12:57 PM
The Blair-Barkley ceiling comparisons are amusing. Reminds me of delusional Piston fans claiming Rodney Stuckey could end up being similar to Dwyane Wade. LOL. And to try to soften the ridiculousness of the comparison, they'd throw in something like, "oh he might not be as good as Wade, but he could..." LOL!

Come on, people. Charles Barkley ceiling? Really???

HarlemHeat37
07-22-2009, 01:07 PM
Barkley is just a ridiculous comparison..they don't play anything alike too..

Unseld as well..

Blair is going to be an impact player IMO, but we shouldn't be comparing him to MVPs and legends..I doubt we'll ever even see DeJuan in an all-star game..

beachwood
07-22-2009, 01:31 PM
A thicker Dennis Rodman who can score.

For some reason, I kinda agree with this. Blair moves around the basket the way Rodman did. It was all about positioning, not jumping for the ball.

spursfaninla
07-22-2009, 02:03 PM
Please, Spursfan needs to remain realistic.

You damage our rep. as reasonable and knowledgeable fans with takes like this.

Refrain from hyperbole.

Barkley was a monster scorer and rebounder in his first year in the league...Dblair will be a good rebounding backup.

mountainballer
07-22-2009, 02:21 PM

jesus, what a nonsense.

dbestpro
07-22-2009, 02:27 PM
Barkley is just a ridiculous comparison..they don't play anything alike too..

Unseld as well..

Blair is going to be an impact player IMO, but we shouldn't be comparing him to MVPs and legends..I doubt we'll ever even see DeJuan in an all-star game..

Wes Unseld was a 6-7 245 pound center who as a rookie at the age of 22 averaged 13.8 ppg and 18.2 rpg. That would be the highest season average of rpg for Wes. Over his career he would average 14 rpg and 10.8 ppg. A comparison of Blair to Unseld is well within the realm of possibility. Especially, since Blair will not be 22 for another 2 years.

wildbill2u
07-22-2009, 04:32 PM
Barkley is the closest with Wes Unseld second.

ambchang
07-22-2009, 04:50 PM
Wes Unseld was a 6-7 245 pound center who as a rookie at the age of 22 averaged 13.8 ppg and 18.2 rpg. That would be the highest season average of rpg for Wes. Over his career he would average 14 rpg and 10.8 ppg. A comparison of Blair to Unseld is well within the realm of possibility. Especially, since Blair will not be 22 for another 2 years.

Wes Unseld also won MVP during his rookie year, the only rookie ever to do so. To compare Blair to a HoF is just ridiculous.

Unseld was one of the best rebounder in this history of the league, he also sets crushing picks, and initiated one of the most potent fastbreaks ever with his outlet passes. While Blair could rebound and set picks, it is unfair to him in setting the bar this ridiculously high.

As for actual comparisons, I would be happy if Blair turns out to be a sane and clean Fortson, or a Paul Millsap.

jay014
07-22-2009, 04:53 PM
http://blog.oregonlive.com/blazers/2008/03/buck.jpg

Da Spurs
07-22-2009, 05:37 PM
I guarantee you he's better than Malik Rose. At least he can actually catch a pass. Plus, he's much thicker. Malik at age 22 sucked. Took him several years before he was a decent bench player. Blair is already there. He was one of the top 10 players in college last year. We only got him because of his ........ never mind.

raspsa
07-22-2009, 06:06 PM
Paul Silas

mystargtr34
07-22-2009, 07:12 PM
He's remembered mostly for being a fat ass but I sincerely think there's something to the comparison. Really wide body, long arms, but not ideal height. Oliver wasn't very athletic but more athletic than he appeared. And he knew how to use his size to his advantage. Take away the extreme nature of his weight problem, and it's a fair comparison.

They look somewhat similar, but Blair was a far more dominant college player, especially in terms of rebounding. Plus, he was more athletic, not just in terms of vertical leap, but in speed and mobility for a big guy to get those rebounds.

He had virtualy identical numbers to Elton Brand in college - obviously its highly highly unlikely he will get close to that sort of career - but theres not much to the Miller comparison other than their body type.