PDA

View Full Version : Rubio To Leave Spanish Club

duncan228
07-22-2009, 02:39 PM
Timberwolves pick Rubio to leave Spanish club (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-rubio-joventut&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Ricky Rubio plans to part ways with Spanish basketball club DKV Joventut even if the Minnesota Timberwolves cannot reach a deal to bring their first round draft pick to the NBA.

Timberwolves president David Kahn was in Spain this week to try and help the fifth overall pick negotiate a buyout of his contract with Joventut. Rubio is at odds with his boyhood club over an $8.2 million buyout clause, which the NBA team can only contribute $500,000 toward.

Regardless of whether the 18-year-old Rubio makes the trip across the Atlantic next season, he won’t be playing at Joventut.

“I want to continue with the club but, after everything that’s happened, I don’t think they’re too comfortable having me in their squad,” Rubio said Wednesday. “I want to play in a winning team, on a team that can achieve many things.”

Spanish basketball clubs Real Madrid and Barcelona are both interested in signing Rubio if he cannot make it to the NBA this season.

jacobdrj
07-22-2009, 02:40 PM
So he can't play in the NBA, but he can play for another team in the country? Seems a little weird... Protectionism based clauses?

BacktoBasics
07-22-2009, 02:40 PM
How can he play overseas for someone else but not here in the states? Isn't it the same issue all the way around?

ElNono
07-22-2009, 02:45 PM
You guys don't get it. Both Real Madrid and Barcelona can pay the buy-out clause and get him. The Wolves cannot, because of NBA rules that prevent them from paying more than $500,000 for a buyout clause
It's not because of Spanish rules.
If Rubio would pay the clause out of his own pocket, then he could go play with the Wolves. The thing is, short of getting that money through endorsements, it's not going to happen.

Kibic
07-22-2009, 02:46 PM
How can he play overseas for someone else but not here in the states? Isn't it the same issue all the way around?

No salary cup or rookie contracts. They can pay him and his buyout if they want. NBA teams can not.

jacobdrj
07-22-2009, 02:46 PM
Thanks ElNono! Makes sense.

Trainwreck2100
07-22-2009, 02:48 PM
“I want to continue with the club but, after everything that’s happened, I don’t think they’re too comfortable having me in their squad,” Rubio said Wednesday. “I want to play in a winning team, on a team that can achieve many things.”

he does realize i he ever comes ever he'll play for the wolves, right?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-22-2009, 02:50 PM
he does realize i he ever comes ever he'll play for the wolves, right?

Like a lot of pussy Spanish players, he thinks he is owed the right to chose which NBA team he plays for as a rookie.

23LeBronJames23
07-22-2009, 04:20 PM
Wow Ricky Rubio is dumb

Darthkiller
07-22-2009, 04:47 PM
Like a lot of pussy Spanish players, he thinks he is owed the right to chose which NBA team he plays for as a rookie.

didnt know Kobe is spanish

in2deep
07-22-2009, 04:48 PM

:lol

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-22-2009, 04:48 PM

Didn't know I said only Spanish players do it.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-22-2009, 04:50 PM
ˇEsteban Francisco!

Indazone
07-22-2009, 04:51 PM
If he sits out for two years, doesn't his name go back in the hat and the Wolves lose his rights?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-22-2009, 04:52 PM
If he sits out for two years, doesn't his name go back in the hat and the Wolves lose his rights?

I hope not. When European pussies pull this shit they shouldn't get rewarded for throwing a temper tantrum.

Rogue
07-22-2009, 05:45 PM
Didn't know I said only Spanish players do it.
jajajaja Kobe es Espanol, tan de su Espanol grando Madre. :lol

Rogue
07-22-2009, 05:56 PM
I don't think it's the rules that kept Wolves from getting Rubio. The Wolves could have reached an under-table deal with Rubio to give him the money for the buyout, it's not violating the NBA rule if Rubio buy himself out and the Wolves are experienced in making deals under-table. I reckon the only reason is the Wolves can't afford the buyout money worth as high as 8.2 million dollars. Probably the rights for Rubio will get shipped to another NBA team for some cash and picks, anyway I don't see Rubio willing to remain in Espana to play for another team. I won't feel surprised if Rubio appears on NBA courts next season, hopefully Rubio will not be an opponent but a boy in blue when he comes to NBA.

dickface
07-22-2009, 05:59 PM

That's not it at all dude. Look it up before spouting nonsense like that. Rubio will play for Minnesota, this is 100% a money issue between him and his old club. If Rubio was traded to the Knicks tomorrow, this issue would still be here.

dickface
07-22-2009, 06:01 PM
The Wolves could have reached an under-table deal

Unfortunately there's things called "laws" that prevent this. If Rubio can't afford a buyout know and magically comes up with 8.2 million dollars out of thin air tomorrow, there's gonna be problems.

The best Rubio can hope for is that he gets enough endorsement deals to cover the cost of the buyout.

Rip-Hamilton32
07-22-2009, 06:02 PM
fuck Ricky Rubio acting like a little bitch

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-22-2009, 06:11 PM
That's not it at all dude. Look it up before spouting nonsense like that. Rubio will play for Minnesota, this is 100% a money issue between him and his old club. If Rubio was traded to the Knicks tomorrow, this issue would still be here.

If that's the case then what I said was wrong, but I've read multiple stories that Rubio has expressed discontent with Minnesota's location and market size.

Btw, I've surpassed you on da_suns_fan's douche bag list. He announced that I'm now the biggest douche bag on St :toast

ffadicted
07-22-2009, 08:02 PM
I hope not. When European pussies pull this shit they shouldn't get rewarded for throwing a temper tantrum.

You're an idiot for thinking it's his fault that he doesn't have 8.2 million to just give away.

sook
07-22-2009, 08:04 PM
i hate this little shit

it's me
07-22-2009, 08:51 PM
is this guy any good?????? to much talking for a guy that hasn't even played one nba minute....

Kill_Bill_Pana
07-22-2009, 08:55 PM

1 year.

Pero
07-23-2009, 12:47 AM
1 year.

Huh?

Trainwreck2100
07-23-2009, 12:52 AM
You're an idiot for thinking it's his fault that he doesn't have 8.2 million to just give away.

maybe he should have thought about that before he signed his contract