PDA

View Full Version : Future Aggies shine at All-Star game

rjv
07-22-2009, 02:48 PM
they will still be 5th or 6th in conference this year but if sherman's first class can show something he may be able to make it to his 3rd year. i also heard the baylor recruit and ut running back did very well also.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/high_school_football/Future_Aggies_shine_at_Texas_HS_All-Star_game.html

AUSTIN — Texas A&M coach Mike Sherman spoke confidently enough inside an Austin hotel Tuesday morning when putting his stamp of approval on the Aggies' 2009 signing haul.
“We (wanted) to address some issues on our team in regard to speed on the defensive side of the ball and at receiver,” he said. “... I think we've addressed those issues.”
Had he known what A&M-bound Dustin Harris would have in store later that evening in the 75th annual Texas High School Coaches Association All-Star Football Game, Sherman might well have kicked his feet up on a desk and lit a victory cigar prior to giving his address.
Harris, a versatile wide receiver/free safety from Livingston, stole the show in the South's 48-21 victory with 307 all-purpose yards and two touchdowns — a 99-yard kickoff return and a 95-yard fumble return — at Royal-Memorial Stadium.
“When I first walked on the field, I was just here to play,” said Harris, who was named defensive player of the game. “... Just coming on the field and doing what I did is just amazing.”
Harris had 134 yards on kick returns, 41 on punt returns and 37 on a wide-receiver pass to go along with his 95-yard fumble recovery. He also intercepted a pass and had a 63-yard punt return for a score negated because of a penalty.
As if the night needed to get any better for A&M in a game in which the South led 27-0 at halftime, future Aggies player Spencer Nealy of Reagan dominated the interior of the defensive line with two sacks and six solo tackles.
Indeed, Sherman's second signing class at A&M was a hit among his future pupils.
“Just by watching today, Dustin Harris, I'm almost baffled,” said Nealy, the 2008 Express-News Area Defensive Player of the Year. “He's like a deer, man. He can run.
“Coach Sherman did a good job. He did his homework on that one.”
Not that soon-to-be Aggies were the only ones running rampant on the Longhorns' recently resurfaced artificial turf.
Texas-bound running back Chris Whaley of Madisonville earned offensive player of the game honors by carrying 14 times for 52 yards and three TDs.
Meanwhile, Judson's Chris McAllister, who is headed to Baylor, added five tackles and — yes — a 7-yard TD catch while lined up at tight end in a goal-line formation for the final score of the first half.
“I haven't played offense since freshman year,” McAllister said. “That was my first time going in at tight end. We started doing it the last day, so I expected them to throw me the ball. But I didn't really expect to catch it.”
The South posted a mind-boggling advantage in almost every category early, outgaining the North 256-21 in offensive yards in the first half. The North didn't pass its own 37-yard line until the second half and posted just a single first down before halftime.
And for the most part, the root of such domination had a maroon tint.
“I think (Sherman) made a good choice in recruiting,” said Harris, smiling wide.

Holmes_Fans
07-22-2009, 10:42 PM
"Texas-bound running back Chris Whaley of Madisonville earned offensive player of the game honors by carrying 14 times for 52 yards and three TDs."

mookie2001
07-22-2009, 11:29 PM
scouts say whaley had an underwhelming game against a good defense, poor ypc. and harris was the best player on the field

THCA game has lost luster in recent years, theres several texas players who would be playing but enrolled early

meanwhile aggy has a top 10 class for 2010 if they dont lose too many after another losing season

Ballcox
07-29-2009, 09:36 AM
Whaley has some of that Melton in him, he tends to run too upright. You can get away with that in high school, but at the D1 level you'll get your lights put out. Kid needs to run with a lower pad level and accept the fact that he won't be breaking big runs every carry, use that size to pound away for 3-4 yard gains, wait to the defense softens up a bit and then hit your spots.