PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Duncan dunking

Kori Ellis
04-07-2005, 12:25 AM
Duncan dunking — even at practice — a sight for sore eyes
Web Posted: 04/07/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA040705.7C.BKNspurs.duncan.1b22e317b.html

Duncan dunked.

It might seem a small thing, but the sight of Tim Duncan, the Spurs' All-Star power forward, on the team's practice court at the morning shootaround before Wednesday's game against the Los Angeles Clippers was encouraging to his teammates.

Duncan participated in shooting drills that included some light running, some catch-and-shoot drills and, yes, a couple of dunks.

For the most part, Duncan ran only straight ahead on his badly sprained right ankle, but there was no noticeable limp.

Duncan suffered a severe sprain of the right ankle when he stepped on Rasheed Wallace's ankle in the first quarter of the Spurs' March 20 game against the Detroit Pistons. He was placed on the injured list on March 21.

The Spurs have targeted their April 12 game against the Portland Trail Blazers, at the SBC Center, for his return. They have stressed that April 12 is just a guess as to when he could return.

Duncan didn't travel with the team to Denver on Friday, but likely will be with the team on its three-game road trip that begins tonight in Dallas and goes to Los Angeles and Golden State.

Manu Ginobili, the Spurs' other All-Star this season, said Duncan's presence on the practice court lifted everyone's spirits.

"Yeah, it helps us mentally," Ginobili said. "We're happy he's getting better. A week ago, we were worried he was not going to come back. Now we see him running, getting better and doing a great effort to be with us, so we appreciate that and it's going to help us."

Difference of opinion: Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said he didn't intend to play Manu Ginobili in the second game of the three sets of back-to-back games the team has in the final two weeks of the season.

Popovich reasons that Ginobili, who has battled a groin strain in the past few weeks, needs rest more than the wear and tear of the back-to-backs.

Ginobili hinted he would try to talk Popovich out of his plan.

"I'm not very excited about that," Ginobili said. "I really want to play. I feel I'm not playing that well, and I need to get the ball in my hands to get it back. But I understand, so whatever he decides I will accept, of course.

"I know he wants the best for me and the team and everybody. But if the decision were up to me I would definitely play.

"I feel better now than a week ago, after the Detroit-New York-Indiana trip. I'm not playing well, but it doesn't mean I am feeling bad. I want to get better, an the only way to do that is playing."

Number change: Glenn Robinson wore No. 31 during his two seasons with the Philadelphia 76ers, but he wasn't about to ask for it from the Spurs.

Not because Malik Rose wore the same number for most of the past eight seasons. Robinson just wanted to cut his ties with the Sixers.

"I'm going to retire No. 31," Robinson said. "I don't want it anymore. That was a bad experience."

Robinson considered asking for No. 13 until he learned the Spurs had retired that jersey in honor of James Silas.

He decided to take No. 3, last worn by Stephen Jackson, the original anti-Spur.

Helping hand: Tim Duncan and his wife, Amy, raised $60,000 through their charity golf tournament Monday.

They plan to use the money to fund educational programs in the community.

T Park
04-07-2005, 12:28 AM
ifference of opinion: Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said he didn't intend to play Manu Ginobili in the second game of the three sets of back-to-back games the team has in the final two weeks of the season.

Popovich reasons that Ginobili, who has battled a groin strain in the past few weeks, needs rest more than the wear and tear of the back-to-backs.

Ginobili hinted he would try to talk Popovich out of his plan.

"I'm not very excited about that," Ginobili said. "I really want to play. I feel I'm not playing that well, and I need to get the ball in my hands to get it back. But I understand, so whatever he decides I will accept, of course.

"I know he wants the best for me and the team and everybody. But if the decision were up to me I would definitely play.

"I feel better now than a week ago, after the Detroit-New York-Indiana trip. I'm not playing well, but it doesn't mean I am feeling bad. I want to get better, an the only way to do that is playing."

Wow, quite interesting, Wonder who will win out, and I wonder if Ginobili is being truthfull.

timvp
04-07-2005, 12:30 AM

Why can't Manu see he needs rest? When you watch him play recently, you can see that he has no stamina and is fatigued. Either that's due to being beat up or being tired, so the only thing the Spurs can do to correct that is to limit his minutes. If the Spurs played him big minutes in this stretch coming up, Manu wouldn't make it to the playoffs.

Everyone on the forum can see that Manu needs rest. Why is Manu acting like he did last year when he got benched?

MannyIsGod
04-07-2005, 01:06 AM
Because he's a competitor. I just hope Pop doesn't fall for it. Rest the mofo.

milkyway21
04-07-2005, 01:14 AM
glad to hear some good news on Duncan.

Regarding Manu, he needs some rest. Let him play less minutes. He looks tired & battered out there, esp that game vs. Denver.

SuBZer0
04-07-2005, 01:17 AM
He should definitely be rested, and even when he plays he should only play around 24-26 mins a night. He is such a competitor that he doesn't want to miss a night, even if he really needs it. However, I think that for the Portland-Utah B2B games, he should sit out for the Blazers game and play against the Jazz instead of the other way round

whottt
04-07-2005, 01:21 AM
We need a combination of 3 more wins or 3 more Mav losses to have the second seed in the WC locked up.....we can cut it to 1 if we win tomorrow night, and then Manu can take a week off if he wants.....Manu needs to play tomorrow night.

Tek_XX
04-07-2005, 01:22 AM
What exactly is Manus problem, is the guy a professional basketball player or what.

MannyIsGod
04-07-2005, 01:30 AM
Well, I think Pop may play him tomorrow considering they just came off of 3 days rest, Manu look fresh as hell tonight, and he played very limited minutes.

If he wants to use him the same way he did tonight, I think that would be fine.

leemajors
04-07-2005, 01:32 AM
anyone seem any recent pics of tim's ankle? just wanted to see if there was still any noticeable swelling.

howbouthemspurs
04-07-2005, 01:33 AM
WOW!! thats awsome!!! That makes me feel GREEAA.... ok

milkyway21
04-07-2005, 01:47 AM
What exactly is Manus problem, is the guy a professional basketball player or what...you know guys, i just remembered Manu on that World Championship game vs. Peja's team. He got injured.While the game was ongoing he was caught on camera doing stretches and all that :lol :lol. He wanted to play :rolleyes .I doubt if Peja can win that World title over Argentina if Manu was okay...i doubt it at all!

This guy is amazing, he's a competitor. We're lucky.