PDA

View Full Version : Nice Piece On David Robinson

duncan228
07-22-2009, 08:14 PM
Rebecca Lobo wore No. 50 for the UConn Huskies because of San Antonio Spurs' David Robinson (http://www.masslive.com/basketball-hall-of-fame/index.ssf/2009/07/rebecca_lobo_wore_no_50_as_a_u.html)
by The Republican Sports Desk

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/temp/robinsonhof.jpg
David Robinson of the San Antonio Spurs, who will be inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in September, inspired many young players to wear No. 50, including Rebecca Lobo of the UConn Huskies.

The Republican counts down the days to the Basketball Hall of Fame Enshrinement Ceremony with an ongoing series profiling the Class of 2009.
By Ron Chimelis

When Rebecca Lobo played high school basketball for Southwick-Tolland Regional, she wore No. 31, but a decision awaited her in college.

"Wendy Davis had 31, so I asked for No. 50 because David Robinson was my favorite player at the time," said Lobo, who entered the University of Connecticut in 1991.

Still the favorite of many fans and players, Robinson will be inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in September. Unable to savor a championship for most of his career, Robinson's fortunes changed when his team, the San Antonio Spurs, drafted Tim Duncan from Wake Forest in 1997.

Two years later, the Spurs were a champion for the first of two times in Robinson's career.

"David was the Spurs' best player for years, but they didn't win," recalled Jim Powell of Agawam, an assistant at Vancouver in the 1990s, and for the past 13 years, an assistant coach and scout for the Indiana Pacers.

"He didn't get to enjoy his own team success until he teamed up with Duncan. David would have been the missing piece on 60 to 70 percent of NBA teams," Powell said.

To Powell's thinking, Robinson was a great player who needed some help. In some ways, he was an even better fit as the Spurs' No. 2 option than as its star.

"For him, that was perfect. He was definitely a No. 1 guy, a go-to player, one of the best players in the league. But, you need others to help win a championship," Powell said.

"Put a player of David's caliber on the Indiana Pacers right now, and they go deep into the playoffs. Put him on the New Jersey Nets, and they go deep into the playoffs."

His individual talent was beyond question. In 1994, Robinson scored 71 points in a game.

Only Wilt Chamberlain, Elgin Baylor, David Thompson and Kobe Bryant have also scored 70 in an NBA game.

He was perfectly willing to share the ball, too. Only four players in NBA history have logged quadruple doubles, the most recent of which was Robinson.

He had 10 assists in addition to 34 points, 10 rebounds and 10 blocked shots in a 1994 game that came two months after his 71-point performance.

Nate Thurmond, Alvin Robinson and Hakeem Olajuwon are the NBA's other quadruple-double artists.

Robinson might not have been able to carry the Spurs to a championship by himself, but he did lift them to respectability.

In 1988-89, San Antonio won 21 games. The next season, with Robinson as Rookie of the Year, they went 56-26 to win the Midwest Division title - the most one-year dramatic turnaround in NBA history to that point.

In an indirect way, Robinson also helped the Spurs land Duncan. With their center sidelined by a broken foot for all but six games of the 1996-97 season, San Antonio went 20-62, and fell into the NBA lottery.

There, despite a better percentage likelihood the Boston Celtics would get the No. 1 pick, the Spurs enjoyed that good fortune and chose Duncan, helping build the front line of a championship team.

Duncan arrived when Robinson was 32 years old, in time to help deliver the team glory Robinson always craved over personal accolades.

If there is a player in Robinson's pre-Duncan circumstance today, it might be Toronto's Chris Bosh, Powell said.

"He's the best player on Toronto, but on a championship team, he'd be a No. 2 option," the coach said.

Robinson was the NBA's 1995 MVP. While Lobo and countless others chose No. 50 because of him, his choice came in honor of Ralph Sampson, his favorite player.

Robinson's two NBA championships came with Duncan in 1999 and 2003.

He retired after the 2002-03 season. With an NBA championship in his final season, and a 13-point, 17-rebound effort in the clinching playoff game, Robinson went out in style.

He shared the cover of Sports Illustrated with Duncan, as the magazine's 2003 Sportsmen of the Year. Thus ended a 14-year career that saw Robinson score 20,790 points with 10,497 rebounds and 2,954 blocked shots.

Those numbers would have been even higher had Robinson's NBA career not been delayed for two years by military commitments in association with the Naval Academy, where he graduated in 1987.

mrcoon29
07-22-2009, 08:43 PM
*sniff* Sometimes I really do miss 50.

Phenomanul
07-22-2009, 08:47 PM
As much as I appreciate Chris Bosh's game comparing him to Robinson completely undervalues what Robinson meant to the Spurs and severely undermines the level of his game.

Robinson >>>> Bosh

Gutter92
07-22-2009, 09:10 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong...but didn't David score 71 on the last game of the season, to beat out Shaq for the scoring title? If so, then it's impossible that his quadruple double came "2 months after he scored 71".

duncan228
07-22-2009, 09:20 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong...but didn't David score 71 on the last game of the season, to beat out Shaq for the scoring title? If so, then it's impossible that his quadruple double came "2 months after he scored 71".

You're right, the 71 point game was the last game of the season. I think they got it backwards. The 71 point game was 2 months after the quad-double.

The quad-double was February 17, 1994.
The 71 point game was April 24, 1994.

Go For Tree
07-22-2009, 09:20 PM

Quad-Dub came in a playoff game?

Taking it to the Hole
07-22-2009, 09:22 PM
Great find duncan228!:toast

I never get tired of hearing the Admiral get his due. Without him, San Antonio wouldn't have the Spurs today. He is the epitome of what a professional basketball player should be and there will never be another #50 in the league.

ajh18
07-22-2009, 09:46 PM
As much as I appreciate Chris Bosh's game comparing him to Robinson completely undervalues what Robinson meant to the Spurs and severely undermines the level of his game.

Robinson >>>> Bosh

Even though he just made it to the finals, D. Howard would be a better comparision, and he's not in David's league yet either.

What the author said about Robinson in his prime taking the Pacers or Nets deep in the playoffs this year is probably true. And to go a step further, I think if you put the Admiral in his prime on last year's Magic instead of Howard, they beat LA in 6. His offense and defense were both that much better than Howard's are.

The only thing I don't really get is how the author can make claims like that and then STILL argue that David is the number 2 option on a really good team. I think that's true no more so than it was about Kobe prior to last year. And obviously that was a ridiculous argument too. Both players just need to be surrounded by proper talent.

saxman
07-22-2009, 10:22 PM
He is the reason I became a Spurs fan. I admired his athletic ability and still admire his dedication and passion for education.

TMSKILZ
07-22-2009, 11:07 PM
I love DROB, reason i became a Spurs fan living in NYC. Love him off the court as well as a Christian brother.

senorglory
07-23-2009, 12:06 AM
If there is a player in Robinson's pre-Duncan circumstance today, it might be Toronto's Chris Bosh, Powell said.

"He's the best player on Toronto, but on a championship team, he'd be a No. 2 option," the coach said.

Oh go screw yourself, Republican Sports Desk. Robinson, until injuries got the best of him, was number 2 to noone.

draft87
07-23-2009, 12:26 AM
Quad-Dub came in a playoff game?

unfortunately it did not come in a playoff game. all the quad-doub games were in regular season. if i'm not mistaken tim duncan's 2003 finals game 6 is the most productive across-the-board playoff game ever.
wasn't it like 20 pts, 20 rb, 10 assists, 8 blks? and wasn't there another block credited to claxton?

duncan228
07-23-2009, 12:31 AM
Duncan's line was 21 points, 20 boards, 10 assists, and 8 blocks.

howbouthemspurs
07-23-2009, 01:43 AM
comparing David Robinson to Chris Bosh is like Comparing a bald eagle to a humming bird, thus Bosh being the Humming bird.

DBMethos
07-23-2009, 07:06 AM
LOL Bosh

urunobili
07-23-2009, 07:51 AM
Damn David Robinson means SO MUCH to me... he is probably my 1a favorite Spur all time... and the reason why i am a Spurs fan :)

samikeyp
07-23-2009, 07:59 AM
Reading about the Admiral never gets old. :tu

ambchang
07-23-2009, 08:17 AM
Comparing Robinson to Bosh is an insult to Robinson's game.

Not that Bosh is chopped liver, but you don't go out and compare one of the best defensive player of all time to one who couldn't spell defense with a dictionary.

On the offensive end, Robinson was stronger, runs the court better, passes better, penetrates better, and has more consistency within 18 feet.

One was a DPoY, RoY, MVP, all-nbaer, all defensive nbaer, scoring champ, rebounding champ, block shot champ, and ther other is none of any of that.

rayray2k8
07-23-2009, 11:52 AM
Thanks. :tu

Miss DRob. :(

sam1617
07-23-2009, 01:13 PM
David had so much less talent surrounding him, and yet the Spurs were consistently contenders. If it weren't for Rod "Oh look, I threw the ball to no one" Strickland, then the Spurs would have been champions way back...

I hate people saying that he couldn't win a championship by himself, its like they don't realize that it takes 12 people to win. Give Tim or any other star the same team as David had, and likely you would get the same results. It took Jordan a top 50 all time player to win his rings. Bird had an assortment of hall of famers, Magic had Kareem, Shaq had Kobe, no one wins rings without a team, to expect David to do it with what he had is just crazy. As much as I love Sean, he was meant to be a third fiddle, not a number 2 guy...

Spur|n|Austin
07-23-2009, 01:53 PM
Great read until
If there is a player in Robinson's pre-Duncan circumstance today, it might be Toronto's Chris Bosh LOL

alamo50
07-24-2009, 07:38 AM
"Alvin Robinson" --> Alvin Robertson

baseline bum
07-24-2009, 07:49 AM
I can see a bit of resemblance in Bosh's game, but David's pre-injury career was more like LeBron's. It's like the whole world has forgotten how ridiculous of an athlete David was up to about 96.

doobs
07-24-2009, 08:57 AM
David Robinson = Dwight Howard + offensive ability

ambchang
07-24-2009, 10:21 AM
Robinson's defense was about 10x better than Dwight Howard. They don't even compare.

Robinson's in the group of Russell, Hakeem, pre-insane Rodman, Moncrief, Bowen and such in terms of defensive impact.

doobs
07-24-2009, 10:28 AM
Robinson's defense was about 10x better than Dwight Howard. They don't even compare.

Robinson's in the group of Russell, Hakeem, pre-insane Rodman, Moncrief, Bowen and such in terms of defensive impact.

OK, fair point. David Robinson's defense was better than Dwight Howard's. But the gap between them on offense is truly huge when you consider Dwight Howard's shocking lack of post moves or a decent mid-range jumper.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-24-2009, 10:33 AM

Oh go screw yourself, Republican Sports Desk. Robinson, until injuries got the best of him, was number 2 to noone.

You're right. Robinson willingly slid into the co-pilot seat. His back was to blame for any decline in his game. Coach Powell obviously didn't watch much of the young Admiral.

Shifty
07-24-2009, 02:29 PM
I can see a bit of resemblance in Bosh's game, but David's pre-injury career was more like LeBron's. It's like the whole world has forgotten how ridiculous of an athlete David was up to about 96.
I keep saying that to my friends who didn't get to watch Robinson's first half of his career. Only the bad-back-bad-feet-over-32-year-old half and he was still pretty damn good.

bishopospurs
07-24-2009, 02:52 PM
Nobody today comes close to David Robinson, he was a total freak of nature. A seven footer who could move like an athletic 3, no one comes close right now. There are no real good post up centers either. When D Rob as playing they still had guys like the Dream and Ewing. That was an awesome time to see basketball. Plus MJ.

Ghjkll
07-24-2009, 03:12 PM
David Robinson was an amazing basketball player in every way, but what´s more important and rare, he is even better as a human being. He is a true example and a committed citizen. Huge props to him :toast.

Harry Callahan
07-24-2009, 04:49 PM
Big Dave in his healthy prime would take Mr. Bosh and school him.

Alvin Robinson? LOL.

People tend to forget (not me) what a fine player Alvin Robertson was. He had the misfortune to play for the WORST teams the Spurs ever put on the floor for the most part. AR was traded for Terry Cummings in 1989 so he missed out on a lot of team success.

barbacoataco
07-25-2009, 01:00 AM
It is crazy how much DRobinson continues to be downgraded as memory fades and younger fans who never saw him play 90-95 start to act like they know anything about him. In his day he was one of the best. He was a regular season MVP. he led the league in scoring. He led the league in rebounding. DPOY. Led the league in blocks.

What happened is that a few minutes of youtube and the 95 playoffs has convinced everyone that DRob was a 2nd rate player behind the likes of Hakeem and Shaq. But that is crap. DRob had many great moments and Hakeem made everyone look bad in single coverage.

Peole have really forgotten DRob and it is sad to see how history re-writes the greatness of players after they retire. The media bias against midwest players has existed for a long time. Moses Malone also has been down-graded after the fact even though he was a dominant MVP type player.

mowgli
07-25-2009, 07:39 AM
I only got to see Robinson regularly during the twilight of his career, but I still remember what a freakish athlete he was when younger.

Everyone slobbers over Howard's athleticism, but Robinson had that, more, and a ridiculous offensive game to boot.

It's just a 'what-have-you-done-for-me-lately?' world.

kingmalaki
07-25-2009, 09:57 AM
Robinson was a great player on both sides of the ball. His only fault seemed to be that he didn't have a great low post game like Dream or Duncan or Shaq, which is why I think he struggled as a #1 option in the playoffs at times.

He was also the perfect teammate. I don't see too many stars taking a backseat to allow Duncan to develop.

duhoh
07-25-2009, 10:13 AM
i like the comparisons to dwight.

both ripped out their minds for no apparent reason. fear the muscles.

PaulGreco
07-25-2009, 11:02 AM
I did an interview with David Robinson last year after he won an NBA award for community work and the guy was AWESOME. We chatted for about 30 minutes before the interview about his family and friends, particularly his brother who I had a chance to play against when he was in the Navy and I was in the Air Force.

David is the real deal. What you saw on the court and his community work are real. It's going to be great when he walks to the podium and accepts his bronze statue in the Hall of Fame.

--PG

spursjustice
07-25-2009, 11:15 AM
Five O.

I still love blowing the dust of those video tapes and watch number 50 run up and down the court executing his turnaround jumpshots at the Alamodome.

Shifty
07-25-2009, 11:35 AM
I wonder how many of these modern athletes can walk up and down the court on their hands. Like Robinson did. Even better, how many 7'0 ft can.

Biggems
07-25-2009, 11:58 AM
You put a pre-injury David Robinson on the Bulls team that went 72-10, and I will say they go 82-0.

Robinson, Rodman, Pippen, Jordan, Harper

That is a starting lineup that is almost impossible to score on, and quite frankly almost impossible to stop from scoring.

timtonymanurich
07-25-2009, 12:25 PM
DID ANYONE ELSE KNOW THAT MY BOY DAVID ROBINSON WAS ONE OF FOUR PLAYERS IN THE ENTIRE NBA TO RECORD A QUADRIPLE-DOUBLE?

That's a bad man right there.
Other three: Hakeem Olajuwon, Nate Thurmond, and Alvin Robertson.

senorglory
10-22-2009, 07:18 PM
What happened is that a few minutes of youtube and the 95 playoffs has convinced everyone that DRob was a 2nd rate player behind the likes of Hakeem and Shaq. But that is crap. DRob had many great moments and Hakeem made everyone look bad in single coverage.

Agreed.

I'd also like to add that the claim that Robinson was completely destroyed by Hakeem is bogus, despite being frequently repeated. Robinson had 21 pts, 2 blks, 2 asts, and 9 rbds that game (http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199505220SAS.html), plus lord knows how many shot alterations and passes leading to the assist. When on the floor (38 mins.), he was involved in every play for the Spurs, at both ends of the court and led his team admirably during the regular season and the playoffs. Robinson played great that series, including Game 1. Spurs lost by one point.

Hakeem had the playoffs of his career, during a two year period when he was playing as well as anyone ever could play any sport, and during a time when the Rockets would simply not be denied. So what if Robinson didn't shut Hakeem down that series, no other center in history could have done any better. Hakeem was pure energy, unstoppable, perfect. Doesn't mean everyone else on the court sucked.