PDA

View Full Version : Oberto Update

duncan228
07-22-2009, 08:59 PM
From a David Aldridge piece on NBA.com.

Free agent forward Fabricio Oberto will decide on an NBA team by next week, according to his agent, Herb Rudoy, with the Washington Wizards favored to sign him. Oberto, who is at home in his native Argentina deciding what he will do, has also mullng whether to return to the San Antonio Spurs, who sent him to Milwaukee in late June in the Richard Jefferson trade. However, a league source said Wednesday that the Spurs, while keeping their options open, are looking in another direction.

The Wizards have offered Oberto their bi-annual exception, set for next season at $1.99 million. That amount, combined with the $1.9 million that was guaranteed on Oberto's deal next season, would make the four-year NBA veteran financially whole for next year. Despite good Vegas Summer League play from young forwards JaVale McGee and Andray Blatche, Washington still believes it has a gaping need for a veteran big to back up center Brendan Haywood next season.

"He knows he wants to go where he can play on a team that has a chance to win," Rudoy said.

After going to Milwaukee, the 34-year-old Oberto was re-routed to Detroit in exchange for center Amir Johnson. But the Pistons had no intention of keeping Oberto, whose $3.8 million contract for next season was only partially guaranteed. They immediately waived him and collected $1.9 million in cap room, which, combined with letting Allen Iverson go and getting Johnson's contract off their books, helped create enough room for a free agent signing bonanza, including guard Ben Gordon and forwards Charlie Villanueva and Chris Wilcox.

Oberto was the Spurs' starting center on their last championship team two years ago, but injuries limited him to 54 games last season, and San Antonio went with a better perimeter shooter, Matt Bonner, at center. The Spurs effectively replaced Oberto by signing free agent forward Antonio McDyess to a two-year deal in June.

The Suns, Kings and Thunder have also made inquires about Oberto, who came to the NBA as a 30-year-old rookie after a stellar international career for teams in Argentina, Greece and Spain. His greatest achievement, though, may have been his stint with Argentina's teams that won the silver medal at the 2002 World Championships and the gold medal at the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens. Despite offers to return to Europe to finish his career, Oberto wants to end his playing days in the NBA.

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/david_aldridge/07/22/aldridge.0722/

EricB
07-22-2009, 08:59 PM
If I were fab I'd go to okc.

mystargtr34
07-22-2009, 09:00 PM
Its time to move on.

Gino20
07-22-2009, 09:01 PM
"However, a league source said Wednesday that the Spurs, while keeping their options open, are looking in another direction."

Any ideas?

DPG21920
07-22-2009, 09:19 PM
^

That could just mean the Spurs want to give minutes to Ian/Blair/Haislip...Does not mean they are looking to sign anyone else.

spursfan1000
07-22-2009, 09:24 PM
He needs not to come back to San Antonio, time to move on.

baseline bum
07-22-2009, 09:25 PM
Good luck to Fab in DC if he's not back here. :tu

spursfan1000
07-22-2009, 09:27 PM
Good luck to Fab in DC if he's not back here. :tu

nice avatar

Russ
07-22-2009, 09:42 PM
He needs not to come back to San Antonio, time to move on.

I'd let Oberto take Bonner's roster spot in a second (if it was possible).

METALMiKE
07-22-2009, 09:44 PM
Him and Bowen should go to OKC

rayray2k8
07-22-2009, 11:00 PM
I had no problem with cutting ties with Oberto, though I pray that his heart condition doesn't become an issue in the future.

ducks
07-22-2009, 11:20 PM
theo instead of him

angelbelow
07-23-2009, 12:33 AM
oberto should go where ever the most money is.

timtonymanu
07-23-2009, 01:06 AM
good to know that teams are still interested in him. Good luck Fab!

bdictjames
07-23-2009, 01:22 AM
I'll miss those backdoor lay-ups really. I think he should go to Washington, get more minutes, and hopefully go deeper into the playoffs (most likely the second round)

waly.mg
07-23-2009, 10:19 AM
The Wizards have offered Oberto their bi-annual exception, set for next season at $1.99 million. That amount, combined with the $1.9 million that was guaranteed on Oberto's deal next season, would make the four-year NBA veteran financially whole for next year.

Unbelievable BS

Oberto have now 1.9 million in his Pocket, he can get back to Europe and take the money too, like when Mark Cuban fired and payed the Finley´s Contract

Spurs Brazil
07-23-2009, 03:18 PM
Good Luck Oberto!

duncan228
07-23-2009, 05:13 PM
Closing In On Oberto (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/wizardsinsider/2009/07/closing_in_on_oberto.html?wprss=wizardsinsider)
Michael Lee
Wizards Insider

Free agent big man Fabricio Oberto will decide early next week if he will join the Washington Wizards after the team recently made him a formal contract offer, Oberto's agent, Herb Rudoy, said on Thursday. Rudoy added that the 34-year-old Oberto is being courted by about four other teams but is strongly considering coming to Washington after spending the first four years of his NBA career with the San Antonio Spurs.

"He's very interested in going to the Wizards," Rudoy said. "They are a mature team, with a mature coach, and he's a big-time winner."

The 6-foot-10 Oberto started on the Spurs' 2007 championship team and would provide a veteran backup for center Brendan Haywood. The Wizards currently have young big men JaVale McGee, who is in Las Vegas for USA Basketball mini-camp, and Andray Blatche slated to back up Haywood.

Sacramento, Phoenix, Oklahoma City and the Los Angeles Lakers are also believed to be interested in Oberto, who was released by Detroit earlier this month after being involved in a three-team trade that sent Richard Jefferson to the Spurs.

In addition to the hiring of Flip Saunders and the recent acquisition of Mike Miller and Randy Foye, the presence of former Spurs assistant Mike Wells on Saunders' staff may also help woo Oberto to Washington.

A team source said that the Wizards are optimistic that they can land Oberto. The same source added that the Wizards have offered Oberto the bi-annual exception, which is worth about $2 million. Detroit still owes Oberto the $1.9 million he was guaranteed to receive this season.

Oberto averaged 2.6 points and 2.6 rebounds last season for the Spurs. He is home in his native Argentina. The Pistons used the cap savings from waiving Oberto to sign former Maryland forward Chris Wilcox -- another player with whom the Wizards had been in contact -- to a two-year, $6 million deal. Jamaal Magloire, another player the Wizards considered, re-signed with the Miami Heat on Wednesday. Another option, Joe Smith, recently met with the Atlanta Hawks.

duncan228
07-23-2009, 05:14 PM
It updated after I posted that.

Oberto Agrees To Join Wizards (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/wizardsinsider/2009/07/oberto_agrees_to_join_wizards.html)
Michael Lee
Wizards Insider

I just hung up the phone with Fabricio Oberto's agent, Herb Rudoy, who informed me that his client has agreed to sign with the Washington Wizards. I spoke with Rudoy earlier today and he told me that Oberto was "very interested" and would make a decision by early next week, but Oberto apparently only needed a few more hours. He informed Wizards President of Basketball Operations Ernie Grunfeld of his intentions a few moments ago.

Oberto called Rudoy to tell him that he was going to join the Wizards. Oberto provides a veteran big man who can play either power forward for center. I asked Rudoy what pushed Oberto toward the Wizards and he said Oberto "thinks they have a chance to have a terrific team. He analyzed the teams that were interested in him and he felt that in Washington, one, he had a good chance to play, two, they have a new, experienced coach and they have terrific players, which is what he was used to in San Antonio. He figured it out. He thinks it is a great opportunity for him to continue winning."

Oberto chose the Wizards over Phoenix, Oklahoma City, Sacramento and the Lakers. He was hopeful for a return to San Antonio, where he spent his first four seasons, but the Spurs signed veteran center Theo Ratliff on Thursday.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-23-2009, 05:34 PM
Damn.
Good luck to you, Fab.
You were great when we had you, and hopefully Washington will appreciate you as much as we did.
And you were a badass in the 07 Finals.

spursfaninla
07-23-2009, 05:47 PM
glad to hear he didn't choose the lakers, if they really extended interest.

bigdog
07-23-2009, 05:48 PM
:lol @ the lakers

Mr. Body
07-23-2009, 05:50 PM
Make some last money, play a little, enjoy a pretty interesting city in Washington, D.C. Ain't bad.

EricB
07-23-2009, 05:53 PM
Hope he likes to freeze his ass off.

coyotes_geek
07-23-2009, 06:02 PM
Oberto "thinks they have a chance to have a terrific team. He analyzed the teams that were interested in him and he felt that in Washington, one, he had a good chance to play, two, they have a new, experienced coach and they have terrific players, which is what he was used to in San Antonio. He figured it out. He thinks it is a great opportunity for him to continue winning."

Translated: "It was the money."

loveforthegame
07-23-2009, 07:53 PM
Good luck to him. :tu

TheProfessor
07-23-2009, 08:00 PM
Good for him. I'll never forget what he did during the 2007 championship run. Best of luck.

MB20
07-23-2009, 08:11 PM
Buena suerte Fabricio!!! I'll surely keep an eye on your season with the Wizards.

lefty
07-23-2009, 08:17 PM
"He knows he wants to go where he can play on a team that has a chance to win," Rudoy said.

Suns Kings Wiz and Thunder

Really :lol:

duncan228
07-24-2009, 12:50 AM
Wizards fill gap at center with Oberto (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/jul/24/wizards-fill-gap-at-center-with-oberto/)
Veteran agrees to deal for one year, $1.99M
By Mike Jones
The Washington Times

Veteran center Fabricio Oberto has agreed in principle with the Washington Wizards on a one-year deal worth the biannual exception of $1.99 million, according to his agent.

The 6-foot-10, 34-year-old Argentine was the prime target in free agency for the Wizards, who sought a veteran presence to provide depth to a frontcourt that featured eight-year veteran Brendan Haywood and second-year big man JaVale McGee.

Oberto, a starter on the San Antonio Spurs' 2006-07 championship team, was traded last month to Milwaukee as part of a deal that sent Richard Jefferson to San Antonio. Milwaukee then shipped Oberto to Detroit to complete the three-team deal, and the Pistons earlier this month waived the center, making him a free agent.

According to his agent, Herb Rudoy, Oberto also was being pursued by the Phoenix Suns and exploring options that included returning to the Spurs. But San Antonio signed center Theo Ratliff on Thursday, eliminating Oberto's hopes of returning.

Oberto was "very interested in the Wizards because they're going to have a very good team next year, being healthy again," Rudoy said. "And he wants to win another championship."

The signing puts the Wizards' payroll for the coming season at $77.79 million - nearly $8 million over the league spending limit, for which they will pay a dollar-for-dollar luxury tax penalty.

It is likely the last offseason move for the Wizards, who in June sent the fifth overall pick and center Etan Thomas and forward/centers Darius Songaila and Oleksiy Pecherov to Minnesota for guard Randy Foye and swingman Mike Miller.

That deal bolstered the Wizards' perimeter attack but left them with a roster that featured seven guards, four forwards and two centers.

Because of their financial situation, Haywood's recovery from the wrist surgery that kept him out of all but six games last season and the encouraging development of McGee, the Wizards weren't in the market for a high-profile free agent center.

Instead, they sought a veteran capable of playing five to 10 solid minutes a game behind Haywood and McGee who also would come at a relatively low cost.

As the free agency period began July 1, the Wizards eyed Rasho Nesterovic, Channing Frye, Jason Collins and Jamaal Magloire. But when Oberto was waived that day in a cost-cutting move, he immediately became Washington's top target.

Oberto, who came to the NBA four years ago after a strong European career, averaged 2.6 points and 2.6 rebounds in 12.5 minutes last season and was limited by injury to 54 games. But he's a savvy veteran who would meet the Wizards' needs.

Wizards president Ernie Grunfeld is in Israel and couldn't be reached for comment. An official announcement is expected from the team early next week once the paperwork is completed.

slick'81
07-24-2009, 12:54 AM
gl in dc oberto !!!

Manufan909
07-24-2009, 12:56 AM
Good luck Fab!!! I hope he doesn't play too well against the Spurs though.:lol

DBMethos
07-24-2009, 06:51 AM
Oberto was "very interested in the Wizards because they're going to have a very good team next year, being healthy again," Rudoy said.

Good for him!

"And he wants to win another championship."

Fail.

Solid D
07-24-2009, 08:46 AM
$2M Bi-Annual Exception money is good for an aging Big. I hope the Wizards' players appreciate what he brings to team basketball. He won't be as physical as Etan Thomas was, but his passing, screens, seals and saavy are not found in many players.

We'll miss you, Fab.

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-24-2009, 08:47 AM
Good deal for Fab, hope he's past his heart problems. Awesome player to watch.

raspsa
07-24-2009, 08:48 AM
I was expecting him to go to Europe but its good to have him in the NBA. I think he'll get a warm reception when the Wizards visit SA.

spursfan1000
07-24-2009, 08:51 AM
Good luck FAB!! Atleast he already has a ring because he isnt getting 1 in Washington.

Bruno
07-24-2009, 08:52 AM
It's great that Oberto's surgery was a success and allowed him to continue playing BB.
Good luck to you, Fab.

NickiRasgo
07-24-2009, 08:59 AM
I'll hope when the Spurs meets the Wizards, Oberto will not registered 20+ Pts and 10+ Rebs. :D I'll remember when the Spurs traded Udrih to the Kings and when they meet the Kings Udrih registered his career high and they beat also the Spurs, wow.

45 bank shot
07-24-2009, 09:17 AM
there's no way that Fab come back here, we already have 7 bigs on our roster. Unless, there's a trade involving multiple bigs

ThePop
07-24-2009, 10:46 AM
:tu good luck Fab

DAF86
07-24-2009, 11:00 AM
lol at Oberto turning down the Lakers.

ploto
07-24-2009, 11:03 AM
Well, with his buy out he makes $4M next year!

Libri
07-24-2009, 11:10 AM
I'll hope when the Spurs meets the Wizards, Oberto will not registered 20+ Pts and 10+ Rebs. :D

You know that he will. :lol

D-ROB 50
07-24-2009, 11:24 AM
I'll hope when the Spurs meets the Wizards, Oberto will not registered 20+ Pts and 10+ Rebs. :D I'll remember when the Spurs traded Udrih to the Kings and when they meet the Kings Udrih registered his career high and they beat also the Spurs, wow.

I hope he does,.....in a losing effort.

DBMethos
07-24-2009, 11:27 AM
He might not have been blessed athletically, but he more than makes up for it in smarts. Good luck to him in DC!

duncan228
07-25-2009, 01:26 AM
This is from Truth About It.net, which is part of the TrueHoop Network Roster (like 48 Minutes of Hell is). The blog also has some quotes from Spurs and Wizards bloggers, hit the link to read them.

Fabricio Oberto, You Complete Me (http://www.truthaboutit.net/2009/07/fabricio-oberto-you-complete-me.html)

Fabricio Oberto can’t jump. He can’t lock down today’s athletic big man, nor keep up in a fast break sprint. Block shots? A career 0.6 blocks per 36 minutes says it all. He has a nice shooting touch, but don’t look for him to be a scorer. Hell, his career 60% from the free-throw line knocks on the door of atrocious. The guy even fouls at a per 36 minutes rate slightly more than Andray Blatche (however, I’m willing to bet that Oberto’s fouls are “smarter” than Blatche’s). Oh, did I also mention that he recently had heart surgery? Yuck.

Oberto is exactly what the Wizards need.

I’ve been contentious about Ernie Grunfeld pigeon-holing the final free agent big man target to 8-10 minutes per game. That announced strategy put way too much trust in Blatche and JaVale McGee. Plus, it limited the attractiveness of the job opening.

But I’ll be the first to admit that I’m neither a GM nor a coach. If this is the direction in which the guy I’ve come to trust would like to go, so be it. I’ll be behind the movement.

What Oberto brings to the table is a composed veteran presence on offense. He’s fluid, he’s efficient, he’s smart. He can pass, and his hands don’t resemble oven mitts. Leave him open and he’ll gladly knock down that J. No, Oberto doesn’t have the floor spreading range of Darius Songaila. His .364 eFG% on jumpers (http://www.82games.com/0809/08SAS20.HTM)is dwarfed by D-Song’s .460 eFG% (http://www.82games.com/0809/08WAS13.HTM). But Oberto’s overall .587 eFG% would have been tops on the Wiz last year, and much better than Songaila’s team best .532.

Why is this good? Well, Oberto works closer to the basket. Maybe this type of guy is better in Flip Saunders’ offense, but a down low banger is definitely more desired for someone playing limited time, especially when Jamison and Blatche tend to drift around the perimeter.

Another note about Flip’s offense, in his purportedly more efficient system, one that limits easy, fast-break opportunities for the opponent, the Wiz want a guy creating second chances. Oberto’s 11.6 offensive rebounding percentage in 08-09 (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/o/obertfa01.html)more than doubles Songaila’s 5.6, and would have been third on the team after Oleksiy Pecherov’s 14.4 (an anomoly), and McGee’s 12.0 (mostly a result of length and athleticism … can you imagine when the kid learns technique?).

Defensively, as mentioned, Oberto is not going to ‘wow’ anyone. But the 34-year old vet is crafty. He knows the art of positioning, and the dude ain’t scared to throw his weight around. Let’s be honest, Oberto is a Euro flopper (note: Oberto is Argentinian, not European, this I know … but all those soccer-based countries get lumped into one when it comes to basketball and flopping).

He’s our answer to Anderson Varejao. Take that with a middle finger other NBA teams/fans.

So … maybe Oberto doesn’t complete ‘me’ per se. But when considering the wholeness of the 2009-10 Wizards, this passionate player, this piece who’s like no other currently on the team, the offseason has been brought to a close. I feel better about Grunfeld’s constructed roster. I now feel this team is complete.

duncan228
08-11-2009, 06:00 PM
It's official.

Wizards sign Fabricio Oberto for frontcourt depth (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=txwizardsoberto&prov=st&type=lgns)

The Washington Wizards say they have signed forward-center Fabricio Oberto, giving the team added frontcourt depth.

The 6-foot-10, 245-pound Oberto averaged 3.6 points and 3.9 rebounds in four seasons with San Antonio. The Spurs traded Oberto to Detroit this summer as part of a five-player deal; the Pistons then waived Oberto.

Oberto helped the Spurs win the 2007 NBA title and Argentina win a gold medal at the 2004 Olympics.

“Fabricio is a proven winner with extensive playoff experience,” Wizards president Ernie Grunfeld said. “He is a skilled big man and a rugged veteran.”

Washington traded reserve forwards Etan Thomas, Darius Songaila and Oleksiy Pecherov to Minnesota in June.

Thompson
08-11-2009, 06:17 PM
Translated: "It was the money."

:lol

PM5K
08-11-2009, 06:29 PM
I met him once at HEB, he was really nice. Good luck Oberto!

ohmwrecker
08-11-2009, 06:39 PM
Rugged Veteran = Old and in decline

koriwhat
08-11-2009, 10:12 PM
Oberto helped the Spurs win the 2007 NBA title and Argentina win a gold medal at the 2004 Olympics.

not that it matters, and i like oberto, but wasnt he hurt and couldnt contribute to the gold medal his crew of argies won?

Mel_13
08-11-2009, 10:30 PM
not that it matters, and i like oberto, but wasnt he hurt and couldnt contribute to the gold medal his crew of argies won?

A hard foul by Marbury in the semifinal game resulted in a broken hand for Oberto. He missed the gold medal game.

Admidave50
08-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Wish him the best, hope he'll get some playing time there!

Danny.Zhu
08-11-2009, 10:39 PM
Wizard will be scary this season.

BWS-1994
08-12-2009, 01:38 AM
Fab's already oriented with tips in DC courtesy of RMJ.

And expect barbecue at Fab's place when Manu and the Spurs visit him :hungry:

Good luck to you Fab! :toast

Riverwalkman
08-12-2009, 03:16 AM
Wizard will be scary this season.
You mean they still won't make play-offs?:lol

kace
08-12-2009, 03:39 AM
A hard foul by Marbury in the semifinal game resulted in a broken hand for Oberto. He missed the gold medal game.

yep. fuckin' Marbury, worthless piece of shit.

baseline bum
08-12-2009, 04:50 AM
Glad to hear Fab got a nice contract to play in a good city like DC.

$2M Bi-Annual Exception money is good for an aging Big. I hope the Wizards' players appreciate what he brings to team basketball. He won't be as physical as Etan Thomas was, but his passing, screens, seals and saavy are not found in many players.

We'll miss you, Fab.

Too bad the Spurs couldn't have gotten him here in his 20s. Fabricio always looks like the smartest guy on the floor any times he's in.

kolko
08-12-2009, 06:04 AM
Oberto will wear number 21 in honor of Tim Duncan.

-Number 7 is in use. What number will you use and why?
-I chose number 21 because it's the day of my birthday but also in honor of Tim Duncan. He was the player I followed the most and after having him as a teammate, I value him much more"

http://www.ole.clarin.com/notas/2009/08/12/basquet/01976705.html

urunobili
08-12-2009, 06:41 AM

He also says in the interview that Flip wants him to make his peers play smarter on the court :wow

benefactor
08-12-2009, 06:55 AM
He also says in the interview that Flip wants him to make his peers play smarter on the court :wow
http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2009/4/30/633767066169406820-idiots.jpg

ohmwrecker
08-12-2009, 08:40 AM
Good luck to Fab. He was always one of my favorite Spurs. I hope the Wizards stay healthy and do some damage in the east. I'll be cheering for them.

DaBears
08-12-2009, 09:06 AM
^

That could just mean the Spurs want to give minutes to Ian/Blair/Haislip...Does not mean they are looking to sign anyone else.

Exactly what i was thinking more than likely just going to try to run with and develope what they have, not looking to sign anyone else.

jmanu20
08-12-2009, 10:55 AM
Best of luck to you in DC Fab! I'll always remember you getting under David West's skin in the playoffs, and under Andrew Bynum's skin in a regular season game (the one where Bynum left some large scratches on his back, lol).

SonOfAGun
08-12-2009, 11:00 AM
lmao yes.

It was downright impressive how quickly and with ease Oberto was able to get in Bynum's head.

4down
08-12-2009, 11:11 AM

Wow. Great guy. Best of luck to Fabri!

mountainballer
08-12-2009, 11:30 AM
great for Fab!

(now send the Wizards also Matt in a swap for DeShawn Stevenson. and that's not a joke. works straight and helps both teams)

portnoy1
08-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Oberto 2007-2008 Stats.
4.8 Pts / 60.8% from field
5.2 Rbds
1.2 Ast
in 20.1 minutes per game
in all 82 games (64 starts).

side note - He had 8 games in which he 10 rbds or more. Including a 16reb game against the Lakers, which also was the same game he got into Big Bad Bynum head.
For not being physically gifted at all, he is ( imo ) the smartest player on the spurs aside from TIM. He can do alot of things besides score. When he would put up a 10pt game is was gravy, effecient gravy may I add since he doesn't take alot of shots. He got easy buckets for Tim, Manu by moving the ball and looking for Cutters. He also got easy buckets off Tim, and Manu buy getting to open spots BY THE RIM ( message to matt bonner ) thats why his field Goal % was always high. I love his game, and will root for the wizards when I get a chance to see them, although I cant stand AGENT 0.

Dr Cox
08-12-2009, 12:00 PM
he will be fine in DC, i think if they stay healthy they can make the playoffs as a 5 or 6 seed

should be fun to watch

big oberto fan

got that CRAFTYNESS around that basket
and could always get in the oppents head

http://images.absoluteastronomy.com/images/topicimages/f/fa/fabricio_oberto.gif

Bruno
08-12-2009, 01:18 PM

-I chose number 21 because it's the day of my birthday but also in honor of Tim Duncan. He was the player I followed the most and after having him as a teammate, I value him much more"

Nice words by Oberto. :tu

Oberto has always been a class guy. Even if his career with Spurs has had some ups and some downs, I only want to remember the good moments. Fab was damn good in the 2007 playoffs.

DPG21920
08-12-2009, 01:21 PM
I really do not remember any bad moments. He had some sub par years, but he always hustled and was a great teammate.

I am fine with players struggling from time to time as long as they work hard. Fab had many more good moments for what his role was than bad ones. I wish he would have been more assertive on the offensive end, but other than that, he maximized his talent.

Fab is the type of player every championship team needs.

bigfan
08-12-2009, 04:07 PM
I too thought Fabbo was a class act and glad he got a decent contract with da wiz.

duncan228
08-12-2009, 05:12 PM

That's so cool. Wish him the best, hope he stays healthy.

duncan228
08-12-2009, 06:16 PM
Arenas progressing; Oberto is Wizards’ last piece

The 6-foot-10, 245-pound Oberto provides some frontcourt depth, defensive ability, toughness and experience. He averaged 3.6 points and 3.9 rebounds in four seasons with San Antonio. The Spurs traded Oberto to Detroit this summer as part of a five-player deal; the Pistons then waived Oberto.

“I like to see what is missing with the team and help that part,” he said. “If I’ve got to play ‘D’ and not take a shot for 10 games, I’ll do it.”

Oberto, who is 34, had surgery this year aimed at correcting an irregular heartbeat.

“He’s doing very well. He had his physicals this week; he passed everything,” Grunfeld said. “We spoke to his doctors in Texas, and they feel very good about everything.”

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133205

TheChillFactor
08-12-2009, 09:27 PM
what a nice gesture by a classy player.

Spursox
08-12-2009, 09:41 PM
Adios Oberto! L.A. here he comes..

Slippy
08-13-2009, 05:57 AM
Hope everything goes well for Fab.