PDA

View Full Version : 100 Things

07-22-2009, 09:19 PM
That your kids will never know about (http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2009/07/100-things-your-kids-may-never-know-about/)

/Good for about 90% of these (never was into computer programming and such)
/Really miss #98

Frenzy
07-22-2009, 10:10 PM
Having to manually unlock a car door.:lol

Spending your entire allowance at the arcade in the mall. good times...killer instinct :downspin:

Actually going down to a Blockbuster store to rent a movie. i still do this :wakeup

Blowing the dust out of a NES cartridge in the hopes that it’ll load this time.
:lmao

this was mentioned:

70. Taking turns picking a radio station, or selecting a tape, for everyone to listen to during a long drive.

how about when you waited hours for your fav song to come out on the radio and the hit record button hopeing the dj would shut the hell up and let the song play. :king

ploto
07-22-2009, 10:18 PM
My kid has used a VHS tape, an encyclopedia, and a phone book. I also taught him to write hand-written thank you notes. I have an answering machine, a fax machine, and a vacuum cleaner with bags in it. And I made sure he would not miss out on this:

"Libraries as a place to get books..."

07-22-2009, 10:20 PM
My kid has used a VHS tape, an encyclopedia, and a phone book. I also taught him to write hand-written thank you notes. I have an answering machine, a fax machine, and a vacuum cleaner with bags in it. And I made sure he would not miss out on this:

"Libraries as a place to get books..."

Guy Montag disagrees

Summers
07-23-2009, 09:05 AM
I don't think books (including dictionaries and phone books) will ever go away. There won't be as many of them, but I think people enjoy curling up with books and it's nice to have reference materials you don't have to turn on.

Also, aren't the majority of vacuums still the kind that use bags, or has it really been that long since I've bought a new one?

CuckingFunt
07-23-2009, 11:27 AM
I don't think books (including dictionaries and phone books) will ever go away. There won't be as many of them, but I think people enjoy curling up with books and it's nice to have reference materials you don't have to turn on.

Also, aren't the majority of vacuums still the kind that use bags, or has it really been that long since I've bought a new one?

They'll never stop making vacuums with bags. They'll probably be harder to find, but there's no way a bagless will ever be good enough to use in commercial applications. I can't stand bagless vacuums.

mrsmaalox
07-23-2009, 12:19 PM
this was mentioned:

70. Taking turns picking a radio station, or selecting a tape, for everyone to listen to during a long drive.

It's still like this in our family. My kids are not allowed to have wires in their ears or headphones on in my presence (or in any adult's presence). I can't risk that they might miss any of the very important things I say ;)

Strike
07-23-2009, 12:30 PM
# Playing music on an audio tape using a personal stereo. See what happens when you give a Walkman to todays teenager.

I was stoked to find a Walkman that was small enough to fit in the inside pocket of my Georgetown Starter parka. It stayed there for so long, when it finally wore out, my parka felt considerably lighter when I took it out.

Extra Stout
07-23-2009, 12:47 PM
The article linked to this one, about a 13-year-old Brit stuck with a Walkman for a day.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8117619.stm

The other thing that struck me about the article was how a 13-year-old has a vastly better command of the English langauge than American adults who have written for a living for 30 years. Americans are stupid.

balli
07-23-2009, 03:36 PM
They'll never stop making vacuums with bags.

Agreed. Not that they all are, but bagless vacuums are usually gimmicky POS Hoovers that you buy at Wal-Mart for 70 bucks. The Kirbys and Orecks of the world will hardly change their time tested designs.

Bender
07-23-2009, 03:54 PM
vinyl records are getting more popular day by day. Even for modern groups I like, I buy the vinyl if it's available. You even sometimes get a download code for d/l the mp3s off the company website, or sometimes even the CD inside the record sleeve.

my son sees me playing vinyl a lot. He's quite familiar with video tapes too (11 years old).

lol, 8-tracks... that has to be the worst audio format ever. I can't remember how many 8-track tapes my car stereos chewed up over the years...

edit:

wtf??! 87.Swimming pools with diving boards.

swimming pools don't have diving boards anymore? (I hate swimming, don't go in pools)

PM5K
07-23-2009, 04:09 PM
Almost all of that shit is overrated...

ShoogarBear
07-23-2009, 04:15 PM
22. Using jumpers to set IRQs.

27. Daisy chaining your SCSI devices and making sure they’ve all got a different ID.

What cruel bastard would ever want his kid to do that?

Bender
07-23-2009, 04:38 PM
58. Putting film in your camera: 35mm may have some life still, but what about APS or disk?
59. Sending that film away to be processed.

I'm letting my son learn photography with one of my old SLR 35mm Pentax cameras. When he finishes a roll, we'll take it somewhere to get developed.

yes, I am teaching him the Old Ways.

CuckingFunt
07-23-2009, 06:56 PM
Han shoots first.

Damn right he does.

I don't get the fax machine claim, though. Clearly not written by someone in real estate.

Summers
07-23-2009, 07:16 PM
I don't get the fax machine claim, though. Clearly not written by someone in real estate.

That's funny; that's exactly what I thought.

Summers
07-23-2009, 07:17 PM
It's still like this in our family. My kids are not allowed to have wires in their ears or headphones on in my presence (or in any adult's presence). I can't risk that they might miss any of the very important things I say ;)

I like that. When my kids are old enough to have ipods, that'll be a rule.

balli
07-23-2009, 07:41 PM
I didn't get the no diving board thing. Are kids these days too pussified to jump off diving boards?

cornbread
07-23-2009, 08:04 PM
I didn't get the no diving board thing. Are kids these days too pussified to jump off diving boards?

Nope. Kids love jumping off things and that transcends generations.

It's refering to the pussified, litigious society that we have turned into. Having a diving board is like inviting somebody to sue you.

Bender
07-23-2009, 08:31 PM
It's refering to the pussified, litigious society that we have turned into. Having a diving board is like inviting somebody to sue you.
hmmm... I guess swimming pools themselves will be the next step.