PDA

View Full Version : Spurs To Sign Theo Ratliff, Add Another Veteran Big Man

SpursZone
07-23-2009, 04:27 AM
Reported by: Don Harris (http://www.woai.com/content/bios/story.aspx?content_id=af142754-116d-413e-8c89-628e652527af)
Email: [email protected] ([email protected])
Last Update: 7/22 11:17 pm

San Antonio--The roster moves continue for the San Antonio Spurs. NBA sources confirming to News 4 WOAI's Don Harris that the Spurs have come to an agreement with veteran shot blocker Theo Ratliff. The 36 Year old center only played in 46 games with Philadelphia last year averaging about 13 minutes per game. He will be a nice addition as a 3rd center for the Spurs and can still defend in the low post and is still a very effective shot blocker who can defend the longer, bigger centers in the west. Ratliff likely won't play big minutes for the Spurs but can be an effective back-up if his health holds up. Ratliff is a 14 year NBA veteran who has played with 6 teams including the Pistons, Hawks, Sixers and Blazers.

:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

raspsa
07-23-2009, 04:53 AM
Opposing players driving to the basket will have someone aside from Timmy to worry about. he's all about shotblocking and changing shots, an area of the game where the Spurs were deficient. No longer. It would seem Pop and the FO have methodically plugged the gaping holes in the Spurs' game.. all w need now is for everybody to report healthy to training camp and getting familiarized with one another.

slick'81
07-23-2009, 04:59 AM
i just pray ol'theo has something,nething left to give this comin season and when needed can be healthy and ready to contribute even in rare spot duty

Dalamar_the_Dark
07-23-2009, 06:44 AM
Good Move!

completely deck
07-23-2009, 06:47 AM
TD, Blair, Mahinmi, Ratliff, McDyess clogging the lanes? I'll take it.

BronxCowboy
07-23-2009, 06:49 AM
So who will be the odd man out? Will the Spurs start the season with 7 bigs??

td_tp_manu
07-23-2009, 07:05 AM
no more roster space remaining?

waly.mg
07-23-2009, 07:28 AM
So who will be the odd man out? Will the Spurs start the season with 7 bigs??

Probably yes, but whis this bigs the Spurs can play with Bonner as 3 Point Shooter, like a SF. Whit TD inside and other Big.

In the 08-09 Spurs Duncan played only an average of 5 minutes as PF, thes other minutes was C, because the team needs a Big under the Board, and the only one who can was TD.

Now, with Dice he can play more minutes as PF, specially if we have a 3rd Center in Theo.

Every year i sayed if we don´t have a Great Center, not Bonner, Horry or Fabri, Duncan necessary must to play as Center. Because is needed a Big for the rebounds and a lot of times Duncan take the Half of the Spurs rebounds, and no one can take more than 5 in a week.

We have ridht now:

Parker, Hill, Manu, Mason, Finley and Jefferson as perimeter´s players, we don´t need more Help. Why? We have 48 minutes x 3 spots= 144 Minutes.
Parker is a 35 MPG, Jefferson too, Manu is a 30 Minutes players, Mason is 20, Finley and Hill can too. We have here 160 Minutes, 16 more.

We have in the paint: Duncan 35 Minutes, Dice 25, Bonner 15, and more than 20 minutes for Ian, Blair, Hairston and Theo if he is signed.

And every year the problems were The others Big, and we have now a lot of them, that´s really good, because we can play with Parker and a Second PG in Hill, with Manu as the 3rd if necessary, and Mason and Finley helping the SG and SF and Jefferson playing 35 MPG, don´t need any more.

td4mvp3
07-23-2009, 07:34 AM
what has been his injuries particularly the latest one? has he resolved it?

TheCerebral1
07-23-2009, 07:41 AM
Decent move. He's got nothing really left in the tanks, but he can rebound and block shots.

mountainballer
07-23-2009, 07:48 AM
what has been his injuries particularly the latest one? has he resolved it?

as far an I know he didn't have an injury last season. the small number of 46 games was mostly a result of many DNP-CDs and also not being on the active roster.
(as long as Brand was healthy, the Sixers front court was pretty deep with Brand, Dalembert, Evans, Speights, Marshall)
the season before (07-08) it was a sore right knee that kept him out for half the season and the season before (06-07) that it was also the same problem.
and the season before (05-06) it was a bulging disc.
definitely a lot of troubled areas in Theo's body. (he also has had hip problems and shoulder problems for years)

spurspokesman
07-23-2009, 08:22 AM
as far an I know he didn't have an injury last season. the small number of 46 games was mostly a result of many DNP-CDs and also not being on the active roster.
(as long as Brand was healthy, the Sixers front court was pretty deep with Brand, Dalembert, Evans, Speights, Marshall)
the season before (07-08) it was a sore right knee that kept him out for half the season and the season before (06-07) that it was also the same problem.
and the season before (05-06) it was a bulging disc.
definitely a lot of troubled areas in Theo's body. (he also has had hip problems and shoulder problems for years)
At half health he brings depth to this team. He will block shots at 80 yrs old and he still can grab boards and defend the gasols of the world

JustinJDW
07-23-2009, 08:32 AM
I guess this means bye bye Bonner. :toast

hater
07-23-2009, 08:35 AM
Theo is a good man and funny as hell. But don't see him contributing to anything on the floor

Marcus Bryant
07-23-2009, 08:37 AM
Ratliff gives the Spurs a physical, shotblocking presence as an option for when the Spurs face teams with a more traditional bigman. For a minimum or LLE contract, this isn't a bad acquisition.

Moving forward, the bigman rotation for next season may look like...

Starters
4 Duncan
5 McDyess

Bench
3/4 Haislip
4 Blair
4/5 Mahinmi
5 Ratliff

The Spurs appear to be ready to start the season with 20 year old Blair as the first bigman off the bench. Further, Ian Mahinmi figures to be the 4th bigman, while Pop will have Ratliff to go against bigger frontcourts or if he wants a greater defensive presence inside. Haislip appears to be RC's stab at finding the elusive big 3 who can play both forward spots. I think Gist will be slated for another year in Italy or will spend the season as a Toro. Bonner is on the way out.

benefactor
07-23-2009, 08:47 AM
Ratliff gives the Spurs a physical, shotblocking presence as an option for when the Spurs face teams with a more traditional bigman. For a minimum or LLE contract, this isn't a bad acquisition.

Starters
4 Duncan
5 McDyess

Bench
3/4 Haislip
4 Blair
4/5 Mahinmi
5 Ratliff

The Spurs appear to be ready to start the season with 20 year old Blair as the first bigman off the bench. Further, Ian Mahinmi figures to be the 4th bigman, while Pop will have Ratliff to go against bigger frontcourts or if he wants a greater defensive presence inside. Haislip appears to be RC's stab at finding the elusive big 3 who can play both forward spots. I think Gist will be slated for another year in Italy or will spend the season as a Toro. Bonner is on the way out.
Pretty much spot on. :tu

With this many bigs it's hard to imagine a trade not being in the works, especially with rumblings from the FO during the offseason about bringing in another defensive wing.

Bender
07-23-2009, 08:50 AM
has Ratliff ever gotten a ring in his 14 years in the NBA? Not sure what all the 6 teams are that he has been on.

Samr
07-23-2009, 09:06 AM
I'd still like to see a defensive 2/3 who can get us spot minutes and special assignments, similar to what ratliff will bring in the paint. However, no more roster spots, and it now appears like Pop won't go for his usual, veteran 3rd string PG. That's a BIG vote of confidence for Hill.

As it is with Bonner, the Spurs could do A LOT worse than him. He's still money on the 3 ball and can help space the floor because of his range. But if anyone goes, he appears the most expendable, largely because if Haislip, Mahinmi, or even Hairston pans out the Spurs are going to have more talent than they can put on the floor (this is NOT a bad thing). If Blair turns into something special, that's an even bigger logjam.

I still like finley when used as a super-role player. He's a good vet presence, he still knocks down his shots (mostly), and he's still clutch as ever. Someone on here said it best before me: I think Spurs fans are afraid Pop was going to continue his man-love with fin, and they wanted him traded so that doesn't happen. Spurs have RJ though now, another year with hill, and Manu should now be healthy. Plus Money Mason is gonna have another year in the Spurs system as well. From that perspective, I still hope they do keep Fin.

Though as I said above, I'd like to see that defensive backup SF. So if Bonner is the odd man out, then I'd hate to see him go but it could be worse. If Fin has to sweeten the deal, then the Spurs better get something good in return.

FANTASTIC move with Ratliff though, that is precisely what the Spurs doctor ordered I believe.

GO SPURS GO!!!

rjv
07-23-2009, 09:10 AM
he will get some spot up minutes from time to time

Supergirl
07-23-2009, 09:16 AM
def a downgrade from Kurt Thomas as our backup big, but I'm guessing KT wasn't getting dumped by Milwaukee and therefore wasn't available for re-signing. If Ratliff has anything left in the tank it could be a good signing. But that's a big if.

MoSpur
07-23-2009, 09:32 AM
Who are Don Harris' sources at such a early hour in the morning?

CIA Pop
07-23-2009, 09:33 AM
Who are Don Harris' sources at such a early hour in the morning?

Exactly what I want to know.

Steve-O-Matic
07-23-2009, 09:37 AM
Can pretty much guarantee that he signed for the vet minimum, not the LLE. He signed/played for the vet minimum last year and there's nothing that warrants being signed for anything more than that this year.

And no, Ratliff has never won a champsionship.

Samr
07-23-2009, 09:39 AM
def a downgrade from Kurt Thomas as our backup big

Blair will fill that role. Even if he isn't a rebounding monster, a combination of his posterior, his long arms, his youth and his athleticism will at least make up for the veteran defense of KT. Bonner had to start last year and KT was arguably weaker -- or at least could play fewer effective minutes -- that him. Now Bonner will be a very specialized roll player, if he's even on the roster at the start of the season.

Ratliff is not the Spurs backup big. He's their 7th big, filling the veteran don't-you-dare-mess-with-me roll. His age and more importantly his health will prevent him from being anything close to a consistent backup. But you can't compare him to KT. Apples to apples.

... And on a related note, I'm salivating at the number of fouls the Spurs now have to give. That cleveland game is going to be hilarious **cue the wackety sax music and Shaq at the free throw line**

Marcus Bryant
07-23-2009, 09:47 AM
McDyess replaced Thomas, essentially. Ratliff replaces Oberto.

PDXSpursFan
07-23-2009, 10:11 AM

And Mahinmi back to D-league.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-23-2009, 10:11 AM
In a perfect world the Spurs would get a little more athletic on the front line, but with the LLE I can't really fault this pick up. If nothing else he'll have six fouls to give and probably swat a few shots in the process.

Bender
07-23-2009, 10:13 AM
not eligible to go to d-league anymore

waly.mg
07-23-2009, 10:13 AM
Reported by: Don Harris (http://www.woai.com/content/bios/story.aspx?content_id=af142754-116d-413e-8c89-628e652527af)

San Antonio--The roster moves continue for the San Antonio Spurs. NBA sources confirming to News 4 WOAI's Don Harris that the Spurs have come to an agreement with veteran shot blocker Theo Ratliff. The 36 Year old center only played in 46 games with Philadelphia last year averaging about 13 minutes per game. He will be a nice addition as a 3rd center for the Spurs and can still defend in the low post and is still a very effective shot blocker who can defend the longer, bigger centers in the west. Ratliff likely won't play big minutes for the Spurs but can be an effective back-up if his health holds up. Ratliff is a 14 year NBA veteran who has played with 6 teams including the Pistons, Hawks, Sixers and Blazers.

Kevin Willis is T-Rex

Theo Ratliff who is? Brontosaurus

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-23-2009, 10:15 AM
Kevin Willis is T-Rex

Theo Ratliff who is? Brontosaurus

That was the greek stiff who used us as a leverage.

spursfan1000
07-23-2009, 10:15 AM
Nice move, instead of having Bonner and Duncan on defense we will have ratlif and Duncan. Hopefully he wont get alot of minutes though, maybe around 8-10

Killakobe81
07-23-2009, 10:27 AM

Starters
4 Duncan
5 McDyess

Bench
3/4 Haislip
4 Blair
4/5 Mahinmi
5 Ratliff

I still Laugh at the Duncan "4" stuff seriously ...he does not gaurd the quicker 4's and are you seriously going to put Antonio on any decent low post guys when you have a great defender with size like Tim? He is a center Yao is gone ....no need to market him at PF like last year he will be the West starting center in ALL-star game ..

Marcus Bryant
07-23-2009, 10:30 AM

Nope.

quentin_compson
07-23-2009, 10:33 AM
Decent acquisition, I would say.

It definitely can't hurt to have some more veteran presence around youngsters like Mahinmi/Blair, let alone having a shotblocking big. Also, we have six more fouls to give against Gasol/Shaq.

YODA
07-23-2009, 11:04 AM

Sounds about right.
Looks like Ian wont see any significant time this year. I didnt like the idea of 2 rookie bigs being backups as it was. In a playoff game, who do you want to see coming off the bench? Ian or Ratliff?

the rotations are going to be interesting .Pop in general only uses 2 bigs off the bench. Im guessing those 2 wll be bonner and Blair to start the season unless Pop wants to move dice in slowly into the position. Iam and Hailap will be lucky to see any time at all. I kinda hope we can work Ian in, but going to be hard to find time for him.

I really think Ratliff would just be just be used in situational games.

urunobili
07-23-2009, 11:11 AM
. Iam and Hailap will be lucky to see any time at all. I kinda hope we can work Ian in, but going to be hard to find time for him..

Haislip will play the long 3 and some 4... book it :wakeup

SsKSpurs21
07-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Haislip will play the long 3 and some 4... book it :wakeup

agreed.

haislip will go guard guys like odom and dirk.

YODA
07-23-2009, 11:34 AM
agreed.

haislip will go guard guys like odom and dirk.

Im all for being proven wrong. Now tell me WHY you think this.

Buddy Holly
07-23-2009, 11:53 AM
def a downgrade from Kurt Thomas as our backup big, but I'm guessing KT wasn't getting dumped by Milwaukee and therefore wasn't available for re-signing. If Ratliff has anything left in the tank it could be a good signing. But that's a big if.

Theo isn't the Thomas replacement. He's our 2010 version of either Tony Massenberg. The veteran 3rd center.

Buddy Holly
07-23-2009, 11:54 AM
Im all for being proven wrong. Now tell me WHY you think this.

Because he's an athletically tall and mobile 3. Something we haven't had in a long time.

YODA
07-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Because he's an athletically tall and mobile 3. Something we haven't had in a long time.

U really think he going to get time over Fin? Hailsap has proven nothing yet.
I need more than he is athletic and tall.

Buddy Holly
07-23-2009, 12:10 PM

Yes because Fin won't be a Spur for much longer (I hope) but beside that, Yes, I'd want Haislip guarding the likes of Odom and _irk over Finley. Call me crazy. :lol

He can create his own shot, can shoot the J, can shoot the three, can get up like crazy. Anything more he needs your majesty?

loveforthegame
07-23-2009, 12:16 PM
I don't see Haislip guarding 3s anymore than Gist would have.

completely deck
07-23-2009, 12:16 PM

The season hasn't started yet. You could argue say, in May, if someone asked you if the Spurs would land Jefferson for Bowen, Oberto, Thomas, would you believe it? The Spurs FO is doing something special this year; something that it hasn't done in a very long time. One thing you can rely on, though, is that it is being very unpredictable (as always).

mytespurs
07-23-2009, 12:23 PM
so the consensus is..good signing for the Spurs?

Rynospursfan
07-23-2009, 12:30 PM
I don't think you can go wrong here. Theo is a good guy and if everyone is healthy or even most of them, he won't even get on the court. I see him sitting in a suit off of the active roster. In the locker room he will serve a purpose though. He will be a great person for Ian and to a lesser degree Blair to learn from. If we do have some injuries Hopefully he can come in and provide some D and get a few boards.

Buddy Holly
07-23-2009, 12:33 PM
I don't see Haislip guarding 3s anymore than Gist would have.

Well, the GM of the Spurs thinks he can so the only conclusion I can come to is that you're not the GM of the Spurs. WTF! You lied man. You lied. :lol

spurs1990
07-23-2009, 12:43 PM
Dick Cheney must be dancing in his grave!

Go Theo!

DMX7
07-23-2009, 12:52 PM

Starters
4 Duncan
5 McDyess

Bench
3/4 Haislip
4 Blair
4/5 Mahinmi
5 Ratliff

So where did you send Bonner to? :rolleyes

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-23-2009, 12:54 PM
Outside of San Antonio.

Marcus Bryant
07-23-2009, 12:55 PM

Sorry about your son, Mr. Bonner.

Sigz
07-23-2009, 12:55 PM
Ian will get plenty of playing time.

HarlemHeat37
07-23-2009, 01:03 PM
I don't really have an opinion on this..I usually support pretty much any move that is for the minimum..I don't see Ratliff having a big role, so I guess he's good for insurance and spot minutes..

Ian has to beat him out though, so we'll see..

duncan228
07-23-2009, 01:07 PM
Spurs strengthen bench with Ratliff (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-ratliffspurs&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)
By Adrian Wojnarowski

Hoping to add a shot-blocker to their bench, the San Antonio Spurs have agreed to a one-year deal for the veterans’ minimum with center Theo Ratliff, a league executive told Yahoo! Sports Thursday.

After adding Richard Jefferson, Antonio McDyess and DeJuan Blair this summer, Ratliff appears to be the final piece of a revamped Spurs roster.

Ratliff, 36, played 46 games for Philadelphia a season ago. He’s averaged 7.5 points and 2.5 blocks a game for his career.

timvp
07-23-2009, 01:11 PM
one-year deal for the veterans’ minimum with center Theo Ratliff

Damn good deal :tu

loveforthegame
07-23-2009, 01:13 PM
It's a great deal.

Do you think the Spurs are done like he suggests?

Marcus Bryant
07-23-2009, 01:14 PM
Great. LLE still available.

Brutalis
07-23-2009, 01:16 PM
Thinking back, Theo would have been an awesome compliment to Tim in his best years.

bigdog
07-23-2009, 01:23 PM
Thinking back, Theo would have been an awesome compliment to Tim in his best years.

Agreed.

I like that it's a one year deal, nonetheless at the minimum. Whether he does good or not, it's a low risk signing for the Spurs. I like this move.

Brazil
07-23-2009, 01:25 PM
Great. LLE still available.

Man whats next ? 2009 is a surprise box for the spurs

EricB
07-23-2009, 01:26 PM
Wouldn't be shocked to see them pocket the lle the FA pickins are preeeety slim now.

bigdog
07-23-2009, 01:27 PM
I still sense another trade, though.

DPG21920
07-23-2009, 01:31 PM
There have been a lot of surprises this year for the LLE; a couple people who have signed for that amount could have gone for much more seemingly.

Marquis Daniels
Jamario Moon (I think)
Ross ?

So who knows who the Spurs could pick up or if they will even use it. I do not see any roster spots left.

EricB
07-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Moon I thought signed a two year 6 million dollar deal. I could be wrong.

ChumpDumper
07-23-2009, 01:35 PM
Unless there is some 2 for 1 trade, I don't see much else happening until training camp. Hairston and Williams appear to be penciled in for the last roster spots barring some ridiculous LLE signing.

bigdog
07-23-2009, 01:37 PM
If anyone's listened to RC talk all Summer, it sounds like Hairston and Williams will be on the team, or they have a very very very very good chance of making the team. Before the Spurs use the LLE on anyone, they would have to make some type of 2 for 1 trade.

Da Spurs
07-23-2009, 01:38 PM
has Ratliff ever gotten a ring in his 14 years in the NBA? Not sure what all the 6 teams are that he has been on.

No, he doesn't have a ring. Detroit, Philly, Atlanta, Portland, Boston, Minnesota. Detroit and Boston were on non-winning years.

MoSpur
07-23-2009, 01:39 PM
Daniels is no longer available.

MoSpur
07-23-2009, 01:40 PM
Eric is right about Moon as well.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Moon I thought signed a two year 6 million dollar deal. I could be wrong.

You're right. He got more than the LLE.

rayray2k8
07-23-2009, 01:52 PM
Spurs strengthen bench with Ratliff (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-ratliffspurs&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)
By Adrian Wojnarowski

Hoping to add a shot-blocker to their bench, the San Antonio Spurs have agreed to a one-year deal for the veterans’ minimum with center Theo Ratliff, a league executive told Yahoo! Sports Thursday.

After adding Richard Jefferson, Antonio McDyess and DeJuan Blair this summer, Ratliff appears to be the final piece of a revamped Spurs roster.

Ratliff, 36, played 46 games for Philadelphia a season ago. He’s averaged 7.5 points and 2.5 blocks a game for his career.

That's what they said about Mcdyess. Everyone thinks that adding Ratliff to the squad means that someone is
getting dumped/traded.
And we all hope it's Bonner, with the exception of his 4 fans out there. :lol

45 bank shot
07-23-2009, 02:00 PM
rock&load

Supergirl
07-23-2009, 02:20 PM
I don't think Bonner is gone, having McDyess, Ratliff, and Blair to play more traditional C role allows Bonner to be more of a spot up shooter and to be brought in to spread the defense against certain teams, rather than be our traditional C night in and night out as we asked him to be last year, and which he is not very effective as.
Honestly, I think Mahinmi is more likely to go than Bonner, because of how injury prone and mixed he's been.

But Mason or Finley could also be looking at a trade, if we can get anyone to take him. Or we will go into the season with 15 people, expecting some of them to start off on the IR or in Austin.

duncan228
07-23-2009, 02:21 PM
I guess this belongs here too.

Spurs sign veteran Theo Ratliff (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_sign_veteran_Ratliff.html)
Mike Monroe

The Spurs have gotten younger and more athletic this summer, but their newest addition proves they still value veteran big men who can defend.

The club confirmed today that Theo Ratliff, a 36-year-old center who averaged 3.6 blocks per game in 2003-04, has agreed to terms of a contract for the 2009-10 season.

WOAI-TV reported Ratliff's acquisition in a telecast Wednesday night.

Ratliff last season played 46 games with the Philadelphia 76ers, averaging 1.9 points, 2.8 rebounds and 1.0 blocks in 12.6 reserve minutes per game.

Terms of the deal haven't been disclosed, but it is believed to be a one-year deal for the veteran minimum, $1.3065 million for a player with Ratliff's years of service.

Marcus Bryant
07-23-2009, 02:24 PM
If the Spurs let Mahinmi go in favor of Bonner that will be more stupid than dealing Scola and retaining Bonner. At least in the latter scenario the Spurs saved $13 million.

Bruno
07-23-2009, 02:33 PM
An one year min salary is a damn good deal because the league will pay a big part of his salary.

peacemaker885
07-23-2009, 02:35 PM
If anyone's listened to RC talk all Summer, it sounds like Hairston and Williams will be on the team, or they have a very very very very good chance of making the team. Before the Spurs use the LLE on anyone, they would have to make some type of 2 for 1 trade.

Gut feel Mason might be traded.

MaNu4Tres
07-23-2009, 02:36 PM
An one year min salary is a damn good deal because the league will pay a big part of his salary.

Considering our need for an interior defender to contest around the rim, this is the best insurance the league can buy us as a back up big if Mahimni doesn't pan out.

dc_spursfan
07-23-2009, 02:59 PM
Very good move by the Spurs. Theo can still handle most centers for a couple of minutes per game. I don't see Bonner gone unless Haslip can prove to be a reliable 3pt shooter.

ShoogarBear
07-23-2009, 03:50 PM
Excellent. A decrepit big man on the Spurs always works as the final piece to a title.

Spurs Brazil
07-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Ratliff Lands With The Spurs
Theo Ratliff has gone from backing up Samuel Dalembert to backing up Tim Duncan.

Ratliff, a 76ers' unrestricted free agent, has agreed to a one-year contract with the San Antonio Spurs for a little more more than $1.3 million, the minimum salary for players with at least 10 years of service in the NBA. He spent last season with the Sixers on a similar contract.

Ratliff, 36, who entered the league as a first-round draft choice with the Detroit Pistons in 1995-96, will be playing his 15th season.

''He had numerous offers, but decided San Antonio was the best place for him to be this season,'' said agent Joel Bell.

The 6-10 Ratliff averaged 3.3 points and 3.8 rebounds in 46 games with the Sixers last season. He was critical of the coaching staff after the team was eliminated 114-89 by the Orlando Magic in Game 6 of the first round of the playoffs, then skipped his exit meeting.

The Sixers had no interest in re-signing him.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sixerville/Ratliff_Lands_With_The_Spurs.html

slick'81
07-23-2009, 04:05 PM
if ratliff can give us 46 games this year ill be thrilled

interesting to c if the spurs now try one more deal with all theses pieces...

rayray2k8
07-23-2009, 04:07 PM
if ratliff can give us 46 games this year ill be thrilled

interesting to c if the spurs now try one more deal with all theses pieces...

Damn, he's more fragile then Ginobili?? :wow

benefactor
07-23-2009, 06:08 PM
Damn, he's more fragile then Ginobili?? :wow
I don't think he was ever injured. Most of the games he didn't play were DNP-CD.

duncan228
07-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Spurs get a veteran at the rim (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/07/spurs-get-a-vet.html)
By Mike Monroe

The Spurs on Thursday added another defensive-minded player to their front line, signing veteran center Theo Ratliff.

A 36-year-old veteran of 15 NBA seasons, Ratliff last season played 46 games for the Philadelphia 76ers. Used entirely in a reserve role, he averaged 1.9 points, 2.8 rebounds and 1.0 blocks in 12.6 minutes.

"Theo has always been a very good defender and shot blocker," Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said. "Looking to next season, we thought that shot blocking and rim protection was an important piece we needed to fill."

The Spurs now have seven big men under contract: Returning veterans Tim Duncan, Matt Bonner and Ian Mahinmi; recently signed free agents Antonio McDyess, Marcus Haislip and Ratliff; and second-round draft pick DeJuan Blair.

Six perimeter players are under contract: Point guards Tony Parker and George Hill; shooting guards Manu Ginobili and Roger Mason Jr.; and small forwards Michael Finley and Richard Jefferson.

The club regards both Bonner and Haislip as perimeter power forwards, and Haislip likely will play some small forward, as well as power forward.

Ratliff is seen as veteran insurance behind Duncan and McDyess in the low post, a solid rebounder and defender whose presence will allow Spurs coach Gregg Popovich to better manage the minutes of both Duncan, who is 33, and McDyess, who is 34.

manufan10
07-23-2009, 06:18 PM
:wow

The Spurs have been very active. This offseason has been full of surprises!

Spursfan 87
07-23-2009, 06:49 PM
The spurs needed this, they were starting to get too young.

lefty
07-23-2009, 06:52 PM
Damn

Our paint looks mean now

I love it

jmard5
07-23-2009, 06:59 PM

:lol

FireDavidStern
07-23-2009, 07:26 PM
I don't think this indicates Bonner is gone. I have always thought that (using next years MLE) that Bonner's cap room would go to Splitter so the Spurs don't end up further in the tax. I just don't see the Spurs trading their two decent sized expiring contracts for a longer contract when they are going to try and bring Splitter over next year. Also (assuming Manu is healthy and returns to form) they will need more money for Manu. I just don't see trading the two bits of cap relief the Spurs have for next season, especially if the trade only brings back Bell (as alot of people have wished for). Besides why would they take a Finely/Bonner for Bell? Brown loves Bell and they are all expirings. If we do this then we would have to include Mason, but he's expiring too. Do you really want to give up Splitter or a future draft pick to change Finely and Bonner into a washed up Bell?

George Hill is very good against 1's and 2's and Jefferson will be guarding any three's with size and hopefully Hairston will be there to take some spot minutes when a better defender than Finely is needed. There is nothing left that the Spurs need. Ginobili is a good perimeter defender, so is Jefferson. Tony is decent. Tim is still great. Hill is very good. For Christ sake the weakest defender who will be in rotation is Blair or Finley. Two back ups, who come playoff time will not be the decisive factor, (and hopefully Blair gets better over the year)

Last year, with all the injuries and the early season screw up by the coaching staff, the Spurs were still the 5th best defensive team in the league. Now they are more talented have a better defender on the perimeter (Bowen almost never played), and better post defense. The Spurs will be a top 2 team defensively next year (Boston might beat'em) and the offense will be much improved. So everybody calm down, realize that as a 4th or 5th big, Bonner is good, and that as a backup 3 Finely won't kill the Spurs. The team is now ready to begin the season. The only thing that holds us back from being equal with the Lakers (I am assuming that Odom will be back) is we have bigger health issues. If we are fully healthy we are a better team.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-23-2009, 07:42 PM
I would feel better if our new bigmen weren't all really really old or really really young.

mosdef17
07-23-2009, 08:05 PM
Probably yes, but whis this bigs the Spurs can play with Bonner as 3 Point Shooter, like a SF. Whit TD inside and other Big.

Hell no! Bonner hasn't got the foot speed to guard the slower 5 men in the league, can you imagine him trying to chase around players even like Maggette? Josh Howard? Durant? Not to mention LeBron, Pierce and other elite 3 men. A lineup of Parker, Ginobili, Bonner, Duncan, Mcdyess at any one point of the game??? You must be joking. Surely.

quentin_compson
07-23-2009, 08:42 PM
With the LLE still available, don't you guys think it would be a good idea to get another backup-PG, preferably an experienced one?

And no, Vaughn doesn't count as an option ... :tongue

MarHill
07-23-2009, 09:04 PM

Good point, Marcus!!

MarHill
07-23-2009, 09:06 PM

Spurs fans are never satisified!!!

Yikes!!:wow

Knoxxx
07-23-2009, 10:07 PM
Some solid and well thought out takes by Stern. Bell is an upgrade to Bonner/Finley, but not seeing why Bobcats would bite or Bell as a critical need. Sure we want to get "all-in" for the '09 title, but not at the expense of crippling our cap situation (e.g taking on a big contract) in the few remaining TD-window years.

SpurCharger
07-23-2009, 11:43 PM
good Signing....... We got him at A Vet Minimum! Cant beat it......

raspsa
07-24-2009, 08:54 AM
The Sixers didn't make an effort to re-sign him and I read where he was critical of the coaching staff.. an acrimonious parting of ways it would seem.. can anyone shed more info?

G-Nob
07-24-2009, 09:27 AM
http://www.examiner.com/x-14479-San-Antonio-Spurs-Examiner~y2009m7d24-Spurs-bigger-better

Michael Chartier - San Antonio Spurs Examiner

When San Antonio passed on center DeAndre Jordan to select a point guard with their first round pick last year, I had my doubts. Not that Jordan would have contributed last season, if ever, but the Spurs frontcourt was thin on talent, size and athletes.

Jordan certainly had at least two of those areas covered, and fellow Aggie, Chinemelu Elonu, seemed nearly as innocuous, especially as a late second round pick. While I believe at least one of those guys will turn into an NBA contributor, the Spurs recent roster overhaul has more than sufficed.

As it stands now, San Antonio has at least five new faces in the frontcourt, including Richard Jefferson, Antonio McDyess, DeJuan Blair, Theo Ratliff and Marcus Haislip. That doesn’t factor possible contributors in power forward Ian Mahinmi and small forward Malik Hairston.

Assuming both make the roster, that is seven potential new contributors manning the three, four and five spots.

It’s also a mix of veterans, youth and players still in their primes.

Jefferson and Haislip are in their prime years. They’ve gotten about as good as they’re going to get. Jefferson has All-Star-like talent and Haislip is an athletic reclamation project.

McDyess and Ratliff are proven veteran commodities. Both have found success in their combined 27 years of NBA service.

Blair, Mahinmi and Hairston are all youngsters with their best years of production, hopefully, in front of them. Blair brings a wide-body, strength, rebounding and low post skills. Mahinmi continues to develop as a 22-year-old with length and athleticism. Meanwhile, Hairston brings youth, size, strength and athleticism to the small forward position.

Remember, this was a frontcourt that featured Matt Bonner, Kurt Thomas, Bruce Bowen, Michael Finley and Fabricio Oberto – not exactly the picture of versatility. From a pure basketball perspective, only two have shown to be better than an “average” NBA player.

Now the Spurs have shooters, scorers, rebounders, shot blockers, size, length, athletes, young legs, experience and numbers. The Spurs have never had a frontcourt this deep.

And the best part?

I haven’t mentioned Tim Duncan’s name one time.

justanotherspursfan
07-24-2009, 09:41 AM
Assuming that the Spurs don't keep 6 big men on the active roster, that means that 2 out of 3 of Mahinmi, Bonner, and Haislip are inactive, right?

So there's a good chance that Bonner is purely injury insurance in street clothes -- at least until someone's in Pop's doghouse. Under those terms, I have no problem keeping Bonner around.

Then again, I certainly wouldn't complain about something like Bonner and Finley for Raja Bell.

loveforthegame
07-24-2009, 11:14 AM
Monroe's article has been updated.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_sign_veteran_Ratliff.html

Spurs sign veteran Theo Ratliff

By Mike Monroe - Express-News

The Spurs have gotten younger and more athletic this summer, but their latest addition proves they still value veteran players who can defend, even as their athleticism has begun to wane.

Spurs general manager R.C. Buford confirmed Thursday that Theo Ratliff, a 36-year-old center who averaged 3.6 blocks per game in 2003-04, has agreed to terms of a contract for the 2009-10 season.

“Theo has always been a very good defender and shot-blocker,” Buford said. “Looking to next season, we thought that shot-blocking and rim protection was an important piece we needed to fill.”

Ratliff last season played 46 games with the Philadelphia 76ers, averaging 1.9 points, 2.8 rebounds and 1.0 blocks in 12.6 minutes per game, all of his time coming from the bench.

Terms of the contract haven't been disclosed, but it is believed to be a one-year deal for the veteran minimum — $1.3065 million for a player with Ratliff's tenure. Such a deal allows the Spurs to be reimbursed for the amount exceeding the minimum salary for a player with two years of experience, $825,497. Only the two-year veteran minimum will count against the team's total payroll for salary cap and luxury tax purposes, an important factor with the Spurs' payroll already exceeding the new luxury tax threshold, $69.9 million.

The addition of Ratliff gives the Spurs 13 players under contract, seven of them big men: Tim Duncan, Matt Bonner, Ian Mahinmi, recently signed free agents Antonio McDyess, Marcus Haislip and Ratliff; and second-round draft pick DeJuan Blair.

The Spurs regard both Bonner and Haislip as perimeter power forwards, big men with 3-point range capable of stretching defenses. Haislip may even play some at the small forward position.

The six perimeter players under contract are small forwards Michael Finley and Richard Jefferson, point guards George Hill and Tony Parker, and shooting guards Manu Ginobili and Roger Mason Jr.

In all likelihood, Ratliff's signing rules out the return of former Spurs Fabricio Oberto and Bruce Bowen, traded in the three-team deal that brought Jefferson to San Antonio. Oberto was waived by the Pistons after his new, partially guaranteed contract went into effect on July 1. Several NBA sources have said the Bucks are offering Bowen, and his half-guaranteed contract, in trade talks.

“The goal right now is to build as productive a team as we can this year, but also try to search out some athleticism for the future,” Buford said.

Ratliff is a true center whose primary skills have been interior defense and rebounding. Next year will be his 15th NBA season.

Injury-prone his entire career, he has played more than 60 games in a season only five times. He's played only 74 games over the past three seasons because of injuries.

Early in his career Ratliff was regarded as one of the NBA's rising stars among centers, but injuries prevented him from reaching his full potential. While a member of the Philadelphia 76ers in 2000-01, he was voted to the Eastern Conference starting lineup for the 2001 All-Star Game. A wrist injury prevented him from playing, and he was traded to Atlanta at the February trade deadline, shortly after that All-Star Game, in exchange for Dikembe Mutombo, who helped the 76ers reach the 2001 Finals.

The Spurs will be Ratliff's seventh NBA team. Drafted 18th overall by the Pistons out of Wyoming in 1995, he played two-plus seasons in Detroit before a trade sent him to the 76ers in 1998. Injuries limited him to 50 and 57 games his first full two seasons in Philadelphia, and he was traded after the wrist injury in 2001.

His best NBA seasons came in 2002-03, when he averaged 3.2 blocks in 81 games for the Hawks, and in 2003-04, when he played 85 games, 53 for the Hawks and 32 for the Portland Trail Blazers. He blocked 307 shots, an average of 3.6 per game, that season.

45 bank shot
07-24-2009, 11:31 AM
well, somebody will be gone

duncan228
07-24-2009, 12:23 PM
Sidebar from Monroe.

Theo Ratliff
Position: Center-forward
Size: 6-10, 235 pounds

NBA highlights:

* Drafted 18th in the 1995 draft out of Wyoming by the Detroit Pistons.

*As a memberof the Philadelphia 76ers, voted the starting Eastern Conference center in the 2001 All-Star Game; missed the game with a wrist injury and was traded to Atlanta before team's run to the NBA Finals.

*Suffered ankle, wrist, knee and hip injuries over career.

*7.5 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 2.5 bpg in 14-year NBA career, during which he's played for six teams before Spurs.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_sign_veteran_Ratliff.html

dbestpro
07-24-2009, 12:49 PM
http://www.examiner.com/x-14479-San-Antonio-Spurs-Examiner~y2009m7d24-Spurs-bigger-better

As it stands now, San Antonio has at least five new faces in the frontcourt, including Richard Jefferson, Antonio McDyess, DeJuan Blair, Theo Ratliff and Marcus Haislip. That doesn’t factor possible contributors in power forward Ian Mahinmi and small forward Malik Hairston.

Now the Spurs have shooters, scorers, rebounders, shot blockers, size, length, athletes, young legs, experience and numbers. The Spurs have never had a frontcourt this deep.

And the best part?

I think the "Bruise Brothers" have returned. Maybe its time to start cranking out the t-shirts.

Galileo
07-24-2009, 04:52 PM
I think the "Bruise Brothers" have returned. Maybe its time to start cranking out the t-shirts.

Why is there not more discussion of former all-star Theo Ratliff???

:madrun

Theo Ratliff
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/ratlith01.html

biziofromdowntown
07-24-2009, 05:45 PM
Well, that meants Gist isn't making the team.

peskypesky
07-24-2009, 06:30 PM

:lmao

BlackBellamy
07-24-2009, 06:36 PM
Well, that meants Gist isn't making the team.

From the look of it, he could stand another year developing his game overseas. He'll make some scrilla and come over to the NBA hungry.

rjv
07-24-2009, 06:39 PM
yeah, gist needs another year abroad. he is still a tweener between the 4 and 3 spot.

BlackBellamy
07-24-2009, 06:40 PM

Spurs FO, "Lemme lemme upgrade ya".

angelbelow
07-24-2009, 06:47 PM
I wonder if Bonner is on the move.. 7 big men is quite a bit.

BlackBellamy
07-24-2009, 06:54 PM
I wonder if Bonner is on the move.. 7 big men is quite a bit.

Nah, we're going anti-league trend, "big-ball" style.

Pop's projected "Big-ball" starting line-up:
1- Gist
2- Blair
3- Bonner
4- Duncan
5- McDyess

dbestpro
07-24-2009, 07:25 PM
Why is there not more discussion of former all-star Theo Ratliff???

:madrun

Theo Ratliff
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/ratlith01.html
okay, here it goes. in spot duty he has averaged 1 block every 12 min over the last 3 years and has averaged 1 block every 10 min 35 sec for his career.
His rebounding is 1 rpg every 4 and 3/4 min vs every 4 and 20 sec for his career. Bottom line he is going to probably average 1 block per game in about 11 mpg. and 2-3 rpg. Which would make him 2nd on last year's team in blocks. He will come in very handy against opposing guards who attack the basket in half court sets.

Spurtacus
07-24-2009, 07:29 PM
Solid veteran signing.

McDyess replaces KT.
Ratliff replaces Oberto.

So long Gist.

Bonner + Finley for a vet perimeter defender. Raja Bell maybe?

peskypesky
07-24-2009, 08:11 PM
okay, here it goes. in spot duty he has averaged 1 block every 12 min over the last 3 years and has averaged 1 block every 10 min 35 sec for his career.
His rebounding is 1 rpg every 4 and 3/4 min vs every 4 and 20 sec for his career. Bottom line he is going to probably average 1 block per game in about 11 mpg. and 2-3 rpg. Which would make him 2nd on last year's team in blocks. He will come in very handy against opposing guards who attack the basket in half court sets.

i like the way you think.

lefty
07-24-2009, 08:14 PM
Excellent. A decrepit big man on the Spurs always works as the final piece to a title.
It worked with Robinson and Willis in 2003 :lol

Capt Bringdown
07-24-2009, 08:36 PM

And Jerome Kersey in '99.

I'm happy with this move and hope Theo has some productive spot minutes left in him.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-24-2009, 09:59 PM
Ratliff adds defence and grit and is essentially veteran injury insurance. Great move, roster all set but for a defensive wing.

FO gets an A+ already, staring at perfect score depending on what they do with Finley/Bonner and that missing wing.

bishopospurs
07-24-2009, 10:08 PM
Ratliff adds defence and grit and is essentially veteran injury insurance. Great move, roster all set but for a defensive wing.

FO gets an A+ already, staring at perfect score depending on what they do with Finley/Bonner and that missing wing.
agreed

raspsa
07-24-2009, 10:18 PM
yeah, gist needs another year abroad. he is still a tweener between the 4 and 3 spot.

He has to decide what position he wants to play and dedicate himself to that goal. He needs an honest evaluation of his natural abilities, BB skills and potential for improvement to find the answer. Presently, his skills seem to favor PF and its the position that seems natural and comfortableto him. If he's feeling pressured to make the transition to SF because thats the current need on the Spurs (at least before all the recent acquisitions) then he may want to reconsider this strategy. I'd say be the best player that you can be.. if your skills and abilities dictate that you will thrive as a PF, be the best 4 that you can be. If the Spurs don't have an opening for you, then some other team will. Good luck JG.

dbestpro
07-24-2009, 10:27 PM
Here is another Ratliff tidbit. He has been traded for Mutombo, Sheed, and Garnett (all or in part) at one time or another.

buujness
07-24-2009, 11:16 PM
I'm guessing, as many are, that Ratliff is going to be veteran insurance in case some of the younger guys don't pan out.

If that's the case, than it's a pretty good signing.

BuzzerBeater
07-24-2009, 11:23 PM

I know 76 posts don't count for much but I agree here with debestpro, think retro........ I feel like it's '99 all over again and have said so before.
The grim reapers color's that year were silver and black.:ihit

BuzzerBeater
07-24-2009, 11:26 PM
...........and Horry in '05.:toast

Knoxxx
07-24-2009, 11:40 PM

Perhaps Haislip can be that mythical missing wing I keep hearing about?

spursfaninla
07-24-2009, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by G-Nob View Post

http://www.examiner.com/x-14479-San-...-bigger-better

And the best part?

Funny they considered Ian a PF....I thought of him more as a C...

Knoxxx
07-24-2009, 11:57 PM

I'm trying to figure out why this article comes up on a Knoxville examiner website, since that is where I live.

The guy writes good articles that I enjoy reading, I guess that is cuz he is such a Spurs homer. :flag:

Spurm
07-25-2009, 12:26 AM
another mummy to the spurm roster!!

bwahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

Mr. Body
07-25-2009, 12:31 AM
Here is another Ratliff tidbit. He has been traded for Mutombo, Sheed, and Garnett (all or in part) at one time or another.

That's pretty cool info.

alamo50
07-25-2009, 04:08 AM
About 7 years late.

Texas_Ranger
07-25-2009, 04:31 AM
...........and Horry in '05.:toast

and Tony Massenburg in 05!:king

wildbill2u
07-25-2009, 07:50 AM

Never understood the mentality that signs veterans for their experience and remaining skills and then leaves them on the bench for so long that they are virtually useless if and when they ever get in a game.

carib
07-25-2009, 12:36 PM
I guess this means bye bye Bonner. :toast

:toast:toast:toast:toast:toast:toast

spursdotcom
07-25-2009, 03:20 PM
Official release -

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/090725_ratliff.html

:toast

baseline bum
07-25-2009, 03:28 PM
Never understood the mentality that signs veterans for their experience and remaining skills and then leaves them on the bench for so long that they are virtually useless if and when they ever get in a game.

I'm thinking he'll be used like Kevin Willis and Will Perdue were; very spotty minutes unless the matchup dictates more, and then some pretty decent playing time if so. Even though those two played a pretty low aggregate of minutes, Willis and Perdue were both were instrumental in getting past Shaq. Ratliff might be that physical big the Spurs can throw on Bynum, Gasol, Garnett, Sheed, Howard, or Shaq for 15 minutes and make them really work for their points.

Texas_Ranger
07-25-2009, 03:36 PM
Is there going to be a press?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-25-2009, 11:31 PM
Perhaps Haislip can be that mythical missing wing I keep hearing about?

Haislip is 6'10" and will play both 3 and 4 from what I understand, but he won't be guarding Kobe. ;)

Nah, the missing wing is likely to be Bruce brought back to tutor Malik Hairston who has the tools to be an excellent stopper (whether or not he becomes one is another matter).

Vinnie_Johnson
07-25-2009, 11:33 PM
About 7 years late.

10 :toast

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-25-2009, 11:35 PM
In other news, Lance Armstrong is Hercules. 3rd in Le Tour at age 39 to go with 7 yellow jerseys in his prime. Fuck me!

Hopefully, those trashy mofos who accused him of doping will STFU now. Armstrong has a will to win akin to Tiger, MJ and Shane Warne, and an aerobic capacity and pain threshold to match. One of the greats of all time in ANY sport IMHO. Think I'm exaggerating? Then you obviously don't understand how tough Le Tour is. Can you ride 180kms? Try doing it for 18/21 days, including over a week of ridiculous 20km long high grade mountain climbs, up to 4 of them in a day...

Knoxxx
07-25-2009, 11:39 PM
Haislip is 6'10" and will play both 3 and 4 from what I understand, but he won't be guarding Kobe. ;)

Nah, the missing wing is likely to be Bruce brought back to tutor Malik Hairston who has the tools to be an excellent stopper (whether or not he becomes one is another matter).

If either Bruce or Hairston ends up on the roster that will be a surprise to me. Where are the open spots? Assuming no 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 trade, there won't be any. I would not bet on that trade before the season starts, but maybe after if Manu is not healthy and we can find a stupid and/or cash strapped trade partner.

Vinnie_Johnson
07-25-2009, 11:43 PM
In other news, Lance Armstrong is Hercules. 3rd in Le Tour at age 39 to go with 7 yellow jerseys in his prime. Fuck me!

Hopefully, those trashy mofos who accused him of doping will STFU now. Armstrong has a will to win akin to Tiger, MJ and Shane Warne, and an aerobic capacity and pain threshold to match. One of the greats of all time in ANY sport IMHO. Think I'm exaggerating? Then you obviously don't understand how tough Le Tour is. Can you ride 180kms? Try doing it for 18/21 days, including over a week of ridiculous 20km long high grade mountain climbs, up to 4 of them in a day...

:toast

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-25-2009, 11:44 PM
If either Bruce or Hairston ends up on the roster that will be a surprise to me. Where are the open spots? Assuming no 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 trade, there won't be any. I would not bet on that trade before the season starts, but maybe after if Manu is not healthy and we can find a stupid and/or cash strapped trade partner.

Seems to me we'll be using the 3 injury slots quite a bit this year.

Let's see:

TP/Hill/?
Mason/Manu/?
RJ/Finley/?
Dice/Bonner/Haislip
Duncan/Blair/Ratliff

Have I forgotten anyone?

The question marks are still up for grabs, wouldn't surprise me to see Hairston grab one and Bruce sit on the injured list as insurance.

Looks like McClinton won't make the team, and I think Gist is either going to the Toros if still eligible (I think he is), or back to Europe. Williams is a shot to grab a spot as well.

Knoxxx
07-25-2009, 11:52 PM
I'm all for a Hairston or Williams emerging, awful full looking roster for that though. Still it is imbalanced with the 7 bigs, so who knows when we will be done. I guess a roster is never done actually.

Blackjack
07-26-2009, 12:04 AM

Let's see:

TP/Hill/?
Mason/Manu/?
RJ/Finley/?
Dice/Bonner/Haislip
Duncan/Blair/Ratliff

Have I forgotten anyone?

Mahinmi.

Hairston and Williams are also under contract for the time being.

Mel_13
07-26-2009, 12:05 AM

Let's see:

TP/Hill/?
Mason/Manu/?
RJ/Finley/?
Dice/Bonner/Haislip
Duncan/Blair/Ratliff

Have I forgotten anyone?

The question marks are still up for grabs, wouldn't surprise me to see Hairston grab one and Bruce sit on the injured list as insurance.

Looks like McClinton won't make the team, and I think Gist is either going to the Toros if still eligible (I think he is), or back to Europe. Williams is a shot to grab a spot as well.

Ian

ohmwrecker
07-26-2009, 12:40 AM
It feels like the Spurs FO is building a team to contend with every possible match-up scenario.

TDMVPDPOY
07-26-2009, 12:53 AM
lets j ust hope he actually contributes instead of like MM and NVE when they were here...

Knoxxx
07-26-2009, 12:53 AM
It feels like the Spurs FO is building a team to contend with every possible match-up scenario.

Yeah, we can roster 15 on a rotating 10-day contract schedule depending who we are playing next.

ohmwrecker
07-26-2009, 01:10 AM
Yeah, we can roster 15 on a rotating 10-day contract schedule depending who we are playing next.

Maybe the Spurs can petition the league to allow us to run with an 18 man roster. Then we can get Bowen and Malik and some other former Spurs who thinks they can still ball. What's Gerard King up to?

Knoxxx
07-26-2009, 01:46 AM
Maybe the Spurs can petition the league to allow us to run with an 18 man roster. Then we can get Bowen and Malik and some other former Spurs who thinks they can still ball. What's Gerard King up to?

Good idea. While we are overloading on big men we could bring back Kevin Willis and Schintzius. I'm sure they would sign for the vet min.

Who the hell is Gerard King?