PDA

View Full Version : Please Help! Xbox 360 vs. PS3

der Kaiser
07-23-2009, 04:30 AM
I am going to buy a new system shortly, my girlfriend has an xbox 360 and I am hooked playing Call Of Duty WAW. She wants me to buy a PS3 since she already has a 360 and I am partial to the Playstation myself but I dont know if it is:

a) better than the 360
b) has good internet gameplay
c) is worth it

please could someone who knows about consoles help out?

J.T.
07-23-2009, 04:40 AM
360 is cheaper, has better games and Live > PSN. Think about what you want here brah. Cuz there's always the chance that you won't be dicking this broad forever, and then you'll be stuck with a shitty PS3. I just went through what you're going through about a month ago when I got a 360 and I don't regret it at all.

florige
07-23-2009, 07:56 AM
The only thing that really makes the PS3 stand out over the 360 is the BluRay. I bought mine thinking I could play my old PS2 games on it but I can't which is dumb. But they let you play PS1 games on it though. :rolleyes If you already have a BluRay I would probably go with the 360. Especially if you are into online gaming.

ATRAIN
07-23-2009, 08:01 AM
The only thing that really makes the PS3 stand out over the 360 is the BluRay. I bought mine thinking I could play my old PS2 games on it but I can't which is dumb. But they let you play PS1 games on it though. :rolleyes If you already have a BluRay I would probably go with the 360. Especially if you are into online gaming.

Yeah I agree XBOX live is what makes the 360 great.

S_A_Longhorn
07-23-2009, 08:28 AM
PS3 is a better system, pure and simple. It may cost more, but compare the features. All of the big games are coming out for the PS3.

Besides, if you already have an access to a 360, not worth getting another one. You might need one anyway since they break so often.

phyzik
07-23-2009, 11:10 AM
PS3 is a better system, pure and simple. It may cost more, but compare the features. All of the big games are coming out for the PS3.

Besides, if you already have an access to a 360, not worth getting another one. You might need one anyway since they break so often.

Just went through the entire library list of games for the PS3 as well as upcoming releases.

The only 2 games that I would care to play that are exclusive to the PS3 are Borderlands and Gran Turismo 5... both of which havnt even been released yet.

the 360 is the better deal and as someone already said, X-box Live is WAY better than PS3's online system.

As far as the xbox breaking, I've had mine since the Christmas they where released and still have yet to have a problem. Sure its rare, but all you have to do is take care of it, my house is kept pretty cold as well so that helps.

I will eventually buy a PS3 but only when the price drops and those 2 games are released.

Dr. Gonzo
07-23-2009, 11:11 AM
I really don't like PSN, that's my biggest problem with my PS3.

Fpoonsie
07-23-2009, 11:29 AM
I've always been a PS guy. I'm not much of a gamer anymore, though, so when I purchased my PS3, it was mostly for tha blu ray, and an occasional game every once in a while. A couple ps exclusive titles are pretty fantastic: Resistance, Infamous, Little Big Planet (ESPECIALLY fun with tha gf).

As some have said already, if games are you biggest motivation, I'd go with the 360. However, if both main features on the ps3 stand out to you, I'd suggest splurging. Keep in mind that Gladiator, Braveheart, AND the Lord of the Rings trilogy come out this fall in glorious, jizz in your pants quality bluray.

eyeh8u
07-23-2009, 11:53 AM
Just went through the entire library list of games for the PS3 as well as upcoming releases.

The only 2 games that I would care to play that are exclusive to the PS3 are Borderlands and Gran Turismo 5... both of which havnt even been released yet.

the 360 is the better deal and as someone already said, X-box Live is WAY better than PS3's online system.

As far as the xbox breaking, I've had mine since the Christmas they where released and still have yet to have a problem. Sure its rare, but all you have to do is take care of it, my house is kept pretty cold as well so that helps.

I will eventually buy a PS3 but only when the price drops and those 2 games are released.

borderlands isnt exclusive to the PS3

that being said most games out are multiplatform, and both sides have good and bad exclusives. People that say ps3 excluvies sucks are usually fan boys, vice versa.

The ps3 is likely ot have a price cut and a slim version come out within the year. So i would hold off on that.

There are only 2 real reasons for your choice . price and online . Xbox live is better but not free, psn is free but less sophisticated at this point, but firmware 3.0 is being touted as a big change coming up.

Also the ps3 is a bit more future proof. As of now both games have the same quality visuals overall, unless the game is a bad port form on to the other, but alot of programmers say that they are just getting the hang of the hardware architecture of the ps3, many programmers not just fanboys say that they have only utilizes the power of the ps3 fo rabout 60-75%. With the economic resccesion , the fact that less that half of the current gen consoles are hooked up to an HDTV, and programmers telling the hardware companies they are not ready for a new generation just yet, it seem like this current generation of consoles will be one of the longest make 6,7 or 8years, so at the end off all this the xbox and ps3 might not have the gap that they have now.

Cry Havoc
07-23-2009, 12:03 PM

Uh... hello? God of War III? Final Fantasy XIII (which may be coming out for 360 but I'm not convinced it will run as optimally on DVDs, considering it's native platform will be Blu Ray) is going to be awesome as well.

It's better, but the difference between the two is shrinking. PSN is becoming more robust every day, and I have yet to have problems with it.

This is ridiculous. You have to keep your house in a certain climate to ensure that your console doesn't die on you? A working console for 7 months is unusual?

As far as the price, by the time you add everything to the 360 to equal a PS3, it's nearly as expensive and you still don't get blu-ray. The Ps3 is far more reliable than the 360.

Right now, there are precious few must-have titles coming out for the 360. Really, what is there, especially if you don't include FPS games? Halo is mostly finished as a series, Gears of War II was just not as fantastic as the first, and Forza 3 will be countered by Gran Turismo 5, though you really probably won't be able to go wrong with either game.

The 360 does have a few advantages over the Ps3. Likewise, the Ps3 has it's own share of features that the 360 cannot match. If you can find a 60 Gig Ps3 on ebay, that is something I feel the 360 has no answer for, unless you already own a Ps2. Even if you do, it's still cool.

Cry Havoc
07-23-2009, 12:09 PM
I am going to buy a new system shortly, my girlfriend has an xbox 360 and I am hooked playing Call Of Duty WAW. She wants me to buy a PS3 since she already has a 360 and I am partial to the Playstation myself but I dont know if it is:

a) better than the 360
c) is worth it

I don't suppose I could pique your interest in PC gaming.... :lol

But seriously, it's the best way to game these days. To say nothing of Steam, which is an incredibly cool way to play, PC has by FAR the best graphics, the most control options, and an online experience that's arguably better than Xbox Live (for free).

With the next iteration of graphics cards, there will be absolutely no comparison between PC and console games. The 4890/285 series of cards from ATI/Nvidia have given the PC a wider than ever graphical gap. PCs will soon be able to run games at high detail levels that consoles cannot even load in a basic form.

jaffies
07-23-2009, 12:13 PM
Since you're a laker fan, get a 360.

ATRAIN
07-23-2009, 12:16 PM
I had my 360 for 2 years before it red ringed and I play it a lot.

Phillip
07-23-2009, 12:20 PM
really, they are both fantastic systems. PS3 has better hardware (specs and blu-ray), 360 has better gaming experience.

in all honesty, you cant really go wrong with either though.

xellos88330
07-23-2009, 12:26 PM
It is a hard choice for me. Basically I divide my systems into genres. If I want to play FPS/RTS/Sim or games similar to that I go with Xbox 360. RPG/Fighters/Action type games I go with the PS3.

I have the first PS3 edition so I am loving the system (Not sure about the new PS3's). Blu Ray, Backwards compatability with the PS1/PS2 games, large Hard Drive, and free MMO through PSN.

I also have the 360. Xbox Live is awesome. I definitely prefer it over PSN, but don't like having to pay for it. That is reason enough for the 360.

Overall the PS3 as a system is better (PSN still needs some work done to match Xbox Live), but the internet play is incredible with the 360.

To help your decision ask yourself, "Do I play games by myself or with friends at my house?" or "Do I play games online with my friends all the time?"

Hopefully this helps you out.

EDIT: This is a win/win situation. You can't go wrong with either. Glad to see that you GF is telling you to buy a game system. It is great having a woman like that. My wife (GF at the time) bought me my PS3 for my birthday. Really helped in my decision to marry her. Don't let her go!!!

phyzik
07-23-2009, 12:32 PM
Uh... hello? God of War III? Final Fantasy XIII (which may be coming out for 360 but I'm not convinced it will run as optimally on DVDs, considering it's native platform will be Blu Ray) is going to be awesome as well.

Read what I said again. I said what "I" preferred to play.

It's better, but the difference between the two is shrinking. PSN is becoming more robust every day, and I have yet to have problems with it.

sure its shrinking and it may be as good as Live one day but right now, it isnt.

This is ridiculous. You have to keep your house in a certain climate to ensure that your console doesn't die on you? A working console for 7 months is unusual?

Re-read what I posted again. I bought the console the first christmas year they where released, as in November 2005. Its almost 4 years old now. As far as the temperature of my house, I have always kept it that cold, its not for the xbox's sake, its for mine.

As far as the price, by the time you add everything to the 360 to equal a PS3, it's nearly as expensive and you still don't get blu-ray. The Ps3 is far more reliable than the 360.

whatever floats your boat. I've seen blue-ray movies before.... overrated IMHO.

Right now, there are precious few must-have titles coming out for the 360. Really, what is there, especially if you don't include FPS games? Halo is mostly finished as a series, Gears of War II was just not as fantastic as the first, and Forza 3 will be countered by Gran Turismo 5, though you really probably won't be able to go wrong with either game.

these come to mind immediately.

Mass Effect 2
Forza 3 (as you mentioned)
Supreme Commander 2

The 360 does have a few advantages over the Ps3. Likewise, the Ps3 has it's own share of features that the 360 cannot match. If you can find a 60 Gig Ps3 on ebay, that is something I feel the 360 has no answer for, unless you already own a Ps2. Even if you do, it's still cool.

no argument from me there.

Cry Havoc
07-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Read what I said again. I said what "I" preferred to play.

My mistake. I thought maybe you had just forgotten about God of War. No worries, if that's not your cake, but since the OP was asking about which to buy, GoWIII definitely has to factor into that. :)

sure its shrinking and it may be as good as Live one day but right now, it isnt.

Agree. But it's also free. So if you'd rather pay to have a better experience, then the 360 has an advantage. IMO, that's the primary advantage the 360 has over the Ps3 right now.

Re-read what I posted again. I bought the console the first christmas year they where released, as in November 2005. Its almost 4 years old now. As far as the temperature of my house, I have always kept it that cold, its not for the xbox's sake, its for mine.

Whoops, my bad. Sorry.

whatever floats your boat. I've seen blue-ray movies before.... overrated IMHO.

I think it depends on the kind of TV you have. 42" and over, there is a definite difference, I feel. Under that, not so much.

these come to mind immediately.

Mass Effect 2
Forza 3 (as you mentioned)
Supreme Commander 2

ME2 is going to rock... can't wait for it on PC.

Supreme Commander? An RTS game on a console? No offense, but that makes no sense.

BlackSwordsMan
07-23-2009, 12:57 PM
360 cause it's American.

balli
07-23-2009, 02:03 PM

Playstation is a better mechanical system... that's entirely under-utilized and overpriced. When it comes to their game catalogue, online services, publisher support and IMO, the controller, 360 wins, easily.

If you want a better, more reliable piece of hardware, go pay more for the rock solid PS3, but the 360 is currently King of the Hill for a reason.

Cry Havoc
07-23-2009, 02:30 PM
If you want a better, more reliable piece of hardware, go pay more for the rock solid PS3, but the 360 is currently King of the Hill for a reason.

I guess in this case, "King of the Hill" refers to being a distant, distant second place to the Wii.

ManuTP9
07-23-2009, 02:47 PM
i have a ps3 and 360, theres nothing wrong with the PS3 i love the blu-ray and all but i prefer my 360 over it because of the games that come out for it plus i love the online gaming even if i have to pay for it.

balli
07-23-2009, 02:56 PM
I guess in this case, "King of the Hill" refers to being a distant, distant second place to the Wii.

You know damn well that the core gaming audience isn't made up of all the soccer moms and 4 year olds playing Wii sports.

iggypop123
07-23-2009, 04:18 PM
for this holiday id say the ps3. you can get uncharted 2 and modern warfare 2 on the same system.

Cry Havoc
07-23-2009, 04:33 PM
You know damn well that the core gaming audience isn't made up of all the soccer moms and 4 year olds playing Wii sports.

My point is that simply because something sells more does not automatically mean it's superior. The 360 was also released a year earlier than the Ps3.

lefty
07-23-2009, 06:43 PM
If you want to go through 5 Xbox360's , then yeah, get the 360

IronMexican
07-23-2009, 06:51 PM
360. You can even get any game for free on it. I'll send you the craigslist ad if you live in South LA or anywhere arund here.

IronMexican
07-23-2009, 07:11 PM
I am probably one oof the few people who had their ps3 break bafore their 360. I got my ps3 in July 07 and it got YLOD in June 09. My 360 hasn't given me a problem yet.

Plus, MS pays extra for a lot of exclusive items. Ps3 is just getting DLC for fallout while 360 has had it since January. I won't mention GTA DLC since that game sucked. I bet MS wishes they never paid all that mooney for the exclusive DLC for that shit fest.

balli
07-23-2009, 07:39 PM
Ps3 is just getting DLC for fallout while 360 has had it since January.
Actually, they were supposed to, but Bethesda delayed it until the end of September. Why? Because publishers/developers are openly punking Sony. Out of the whole pie, they're making so little off of Sony customers that the PS3 is more or less becoming an afterthought when it comes to DLC. So few people buy PS3 DLC that it's barely worth a given studio's time to develop it.

And you're right, that's just one example. I wish I could find the quote I read the other day where Valve more or less said they didn't give a fuck if the PS3 version of The Orange Box sucks compared to the 360 version, because A. They could really care less about devoting resources to developing for the PS3 and B. They care so little that they rushed out the port with an outsourced, lower quality development team, and only regret doing so enough that they've decided to not make any other Valve games for PS3 in the future.

iggypop123
07-23-2009, 09:05 PM
fallout dlc isnt very good. the pitt and anchorage were crap and short. 3 hrs for 10 bucks each. waste. i consider halo crap and odst is pathetic in that it will cost 60 bucks. its an add on that includes halo 3 maps. for that simple reason they are trying to justify the high price. the only reason to play a 360 exclusively will be l4d2. thats it. mw2 is on both sytems so is assasins creed 2,

balli
07-23-2009, 09:14 PM
mw2 is on both sytems
Considering the recent Activision/Sony dustup I wouldn't be too surprised if mw3, isn't.

The Pitt sucked. The majority of the Fallout 3 DLC has been great. And whether or not you like Halo doesn't mean it's crap. I don't like it too much, but it's the number one played online FPS and to just dismiss it's value outright to make an argument for PS3... is logically incoherent. As is dismissing the Fallout DLC.

ManuTP9
07-23-2009, 09:25 PM
Considering the recent Activision/Sony dustup I wouldn't be too surprised if mw3, isn't.

The Pitt sucked. The majority of the Fallout 3 DLC has been great. And whether or not you like Halo doesn't mean it's crap. I don't like it too much, but it's the number one played online FPS and to just dismiss it's value outright to make an argument for PS3... is logically incoherent. As is dismissing the Fallout DLC.

hey have you played the Point Lookout DLC for fallout 3 yet? if you have how is it?

balli
07-23-2009, 09:26 PM
And it's not really a question of which games are on which console anyways. The games are just a by-product of the relationship the hardware maker has with the software maker. So yeah, today it's just L4D2, tomorrow it's Half-Life 3.

Stringer_Bell
07-23-2009, 09:26 PM
tl;dr anything but the initial question

I bought a PS3, never once pondering life with an XBOX 360. My gamer buddies have XBOX 360s, but I'd rather play the PS3 exclusive games. I hardly ever play games for the online aspect, but MGS4 gave me a few good weeks of play. Online interface is pretty easy to use and it seems to have good depth even though I can't be bothered with all the download times...

PS3 is good for the exclusive content and advanced technology stuff, lots of cool things on the horizon for PS3 because it feels like an investment and not just a gaming system. If your girl had a PS3 and wanted you to buy an XBOX, my advice would be "hell no!" because if she split you'd be left with something that you can't use after this current generation of gaming systems. PS3 is better if you want something, um, long-term.

balli
07-23-2009, 09:28 PM
hey have you played the Point Lookout DLC for fallout 3 yet? if you have how is it?
Nope. I'm planning on it, so if I do, I'll let you know. The reviews are good.

IronMexican
07-23-2009, 11:58 PM
fallout dlc isnt very good. the pitt and anchorage were crap and short. 3 hrs for 10 bucks each. waste. i consider halo crap and odst is pathetic in that it will cost 60 bucks. its an add on that includes halo 3 maps. for that simple reason they are trying to justify the high price. the only reason to play a 360 exclusively will be l4d2. thats it. mw2 is on both sytems so is assasins creed 2,

I agree, they were crap. The loot was worht it though. Broken Steel was very good, though.

sook
07-24-2009, 12:07 AM
the ps3 has the best graphical game out right now, KZ2. Apart from that I have to admit there isn't a wide variety of titles coming out for it but the new god of war game is supposed to be sick.

I don't really use my ps3 except for blu ray

And i disagree, PSN is A LOT better than live because it never lags. You'll find that with the service you pay for live you will lag like shit as i always have.

Again, it comes down to you, i'm not much of a gamer, used to be a pc gamer a while back but it comes down to your personality and interests

If you're interests coincide with a better overall media expereince, get a ps3.

If you are solely a gamer, get a 360.

Frenzy
07-24-2009, 12:32 AM

a) better than the 360
c) is worth it

you should make a poll.

ps3.:wakeup

BlackSwordsMan
07-24-2009, 01:07 AM
just get an xbox already

PM5K
07-24-2009, 01:38 AM
Stupid thread, you should be able to figure this out yourself.

If you like her 360 that much and don't get to play one, or you want to play games against her online (Assuming you guys don't live together) get a 360, otherwise get a PS3 and you guys can swap from time to time.

The PS3 also has WAW, it just don't have Xbox Live.

der Kaiser
07-24-2009, 07:41 AM
Ive read the whole thread and your responses have been very helpful. Ill be buying a system this weekend sometime and as of now Im leaning for the xbox 360 solely on internet gameplay and affordability but it can change.

I love to play war games like call of duty and sports games like madden, fifa, nba 2k/live. fight night, etc...

Do any of you play any of these games? If so what system?

I would add a poll but I dont know how.

der Kaiser
07-24-2009, 07:46 AM
I don't suppose I could pique your interest in PC gaming.... :lol

But seriously, it's the best way to game these days. To say nothing of Steam, which is an incredibly cool way to play, PC has by FAR the best graphics, the most control options, and an online experience that's arguably better than Xbox Live (for free).

With the next iteration of graphics cards, there will be absolutely no comparison between PC and console games. The 4890/285 series of cards from ATI/Nvidia have given the PC a wider than ever graphical gap. PCs will soon be able to run games at high detail levels that consoles cannot even load in a basic form.

The thing about PC gaming is that I dont know dick about PC's. I used to play this one shooting game at an internet cafe sometime ago and now I only play civilization 3 online. Maybe when I get myself a better computer then Ill start playing some real games on line.