PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this Trade Scenario?

JustinJDW
07-23-2009, 07:54 AM
San Antonio Spurs Get:
- Shane Battier
- 1st Round Pick

Houston Rockets Get:
- Michael Finley
- Matt Bonner
- Drafts Rights to Tiago Splitter

What do you think of this? I think this would be a great trade for both Teams. Shane Battier would be a massive addition to our Team and Depth. He fits our Team perfectly. Battier would be a total upgrade from Finley and he would be that same Defensive-Minded Swingman that we had in Bruce Bowen. Bonner is someone we can clearly do without due to the other great Big Men we have recently signed such as McDyess, Blair, Haislip and even Ratliff. The 1st Round Pick would be pretty good too.

This would also be good for Houston. They get a veteran swingman Michael Finley, and Matt Bonner who will add some much needed depth to Houston's Frontcourt due to the absense of Yao Ming. Now here is where the trade gets tricky, I personally would not mind giving up the rights to Splitter. He can blow up in Houston the same way Scola did, lol. I know this makes or breaks the trade. I originally thought Finley and Bonner for Battier, but I don't think Houston would do that. Houston won't give up Battier so easily. This is why I added Splitter and the 1st Round Pick. If Houston is in the rebuilding stage, then getting a guy like Splitter would be pretty damn good for them. Plus, Houston gains a little over a million in Cap Room.

What do you guys think? Is it realistic? Can you see this happening? Or should I get violently slapped across the face for even thinking about the idea of giving up Splitter?

samikeyp
07-23-2009, 07:57 AM
I think SA would be paying too much. Finley or Bonner but not both.

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-23-2009, 08:04 AM
I think Houston accepts, easily, but I'm not sure this helps the Spurs too much. It all depends on two things we currently don't know - how highly the Spurs think of Splitter and what exactly his contractual situation will be next summer, whether he'd come to the NBA for a reasonable offer.

If the Spurs like Splitter and expect him to come over next summer for something like 3yr/10mil contract then I think he represents more value than Shane Battier. Moreover, with Manu, RJ and Mase, there likely won't be too many minutes for Battier to justify his rather expensive contract.

On the other hand, if the Spurs don't like Splitter too much then I can see this deal working for both teams.Maybe a 1st rounder instead of Splitter? In any case I'd expect similar deals to be made for players with expiring contracts, such as Mike Miller, Camby or Bell, but who knows, we've been surprised by the FO this summer.

MaNu4Tres
07-23-2009, 08:07 AM
I think Houston accepts, easily, but I'm not sure this helps the Spurs too much. It all depends on two things we currently don't know - how highly the Spurs think of Splitter and what exactly his contractual situation will be next summer, whether he'd come to the NBA for a reasonable offer.

If the Spurs like Splitter and expect him to come over next summer for something like 3yr/10mil contract then I think he represents more value than Shane Battier. Moreover, with Manu, RJ and Mase, there likely won't be too many minutes for Battier to justify his rather expensive contract.

On the other hand, if the Spurs don't like Splitter too much then I can see this deal working for both teams.Maybe a 1st rounder instead of Splitter? In any case I'd expect similar deals to be made for players with expiring contracts, such as Mike Miller, Camby or Bell, but who knows, we've been surprised by the FO this summer.

I'd include Mason instead of Finley in favor of keeping the rights to Tiago ( who has a good change to come over next year).

I personally think Battier is an over-rated on the ball defender. He's soft and really doesn't have the footspeed to get into his defender ala Bruce bowen. I'd much rather offer Mason/ Bonner and a 1st for Posey/ Bell/ Nocioni.

Stephen Jackson is another possibility but he's too much of a volume shooter now. We don't need that. We need a defensive minded player who can share minutes with RJ covering the oppositions best wing. Someone who would actually play 22-25 plus minutes starting along side Jefferson and Parker.

That being said even if we were to include Finley instead of Mason for such a player ( which wouldn't happen), there would only be 10-12 minutes available for Mason. Therefore trading a better asset Mason would make the most sense because including him could possibly bring a player back of Posey/ Bell/ Nocioni's caliber opposed to including Finley.

Muser
07-23-2009, 08:11 AM
With the history of trading draft picks with Houston?

DAF86
07-23-2009, 08:13 AM
We're the only idiots to give up the best player in a trade with a division rival.

Rogue
07-23-2009, 08:31 AM
San Antonio Spurs Get:
- Shane Battier
- 2nd Round Pick

Houston Rockets Get:
- Michael Finley
- Matt Bonner
- Drafts Rights to Tiago Splitter

What do you think of this? I think this would be a great trade for both Teams. Shane Battier would be a massive addition to our Team and Depth. He fits our Team perfectly. Battier would be a total upgrade from Finley and he would be that same Defensive-Minded Swingman that we had in Bruce Bowen. Bonner is someone we can clearly do without due to the other great Big Men we have recently signed such as McDyess, Blair, Haislip and even Ratliff. The 2nd Round Pick would be pretty good too, since we are always able to turn picks into gold.

This would also be good for Houston. They get a veteran swingman Michael Finley, and Matt Bonner who will add some much needed depth to Houston's Frontcourt due to the absense of Yao Ming. Now here is where the trade gets tricky, I personally would not mind giving up the rights to Splitter. He can blow up in Houston the same way Scola did, lol. I know this makes or breaks the trade. I originally thought Finley and Bonner for Battier, but I don't think Houston would do that. Houston won't give up Battier so easily. This is why I added Splitter and the 2nd Round Pick. If Houston is in the rebuilding stage, then getting a guy like Splitter would be pretty damn good for them. Plus, Houston gains a little over a million in Cap Room.

What do you guys think? Is it realistic? Can you see this happening? Or should I get violently slapped across the face for even thinking about the idea of giving up Splitter?
clearly retarded writing produced by Rockets fan. Battier won't have a role in starting five since the Spurms have already got Jefferson to play the starting SF, and Battier isn't quite efficient off the bench as the sixth man, nor can he start at the SG spot. Furthermore, the Spurs won't lack a small forward capable of playing tough defense after Bowen gets waived and returns. Now the biggest need of Spurs team is just the depth of the bench which gives some precious resting time every night to their senile players like Tim, Dyess, Fin, etc... so it's clearly a bad deal to trade 3 guys for one player and a second rounder, even though the second rounder will be very close to the first round if it isn't one the Rockets acquired from another team.

lotr1trekkie
07-23-2009, 08:45 AM
Substiture Scola for Battier.

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-23-2009, 08:49 AM
I'd include Mason instead of Finley in favor of keeping the rights to Tiago ( who has a good change to come over next year).

I personally think Battier is an over-rated on the ball defender. He's soft and really doesn't have the footspeed to get into his defender ala Bruce bowen. I'd much rather offer Mason/ Bonner and a 1st for Posey/ Bell/ Nocioni.

Stephen Jackson is another possibility but he's too much of a volume shooter now. We don't need that. We need a defensive minded player who can share minutes with RJ covering the oppositions best wing. Someone who would actually play 22-25 plus minutes starting along side Jefferson and Parker.

That being said even if we were to include Finley instead of Mason for such a player ( which wouldn't happen), there would only be 10-12 minutes available for Mason. Therefore trading a better asset Mason would make the most sense because including him could possibly bring a player back of Posey/ Bell/ Nocioni's caliber opposed to including Finley.

Generally agree with you but if we include Mason in a trade package for a Posey/Battier/Nocioni, we'd have a problem with the SG position, because neither of them, nor RJ, are very well suited for it.

For what it's worth I believe Mason would thrive in a starting role playing off Tim, Tony and RJ, such a role would suit his style and strengths very well.Of course if there's a good trade on the table he's expendable, but I don't agree with him being thrown in any possible trade idea for the sake of it, like all of the Bonner/Finley ones.

Extra Stout
07-23-2009, 08:49 AM
I really like artichoke hearts but the leaves not so much. Too chewy.

cd98
07-23-2009, 08:59 AM
Nobody is going to trade for Bonner or Finley. Just get used to the fact that they will be Spurs until their contract expires.

MaNu4Tres
07-23-2009, 12:32 PM
Generally agree with you but if we include Mason in a trade package for a Posey/Battier/Nocioni, we'd have a problem with the SG position, because neither of them, nor RJ, are very well suited for it.

For what it's worth I believe Mason would thrive in a starting role playing off Tim, Tony and RJ, such a role would suit his style and strengths very well.Of course if there's a good trade on the table he's expendable, but I don't agree with him being thrown in any possible trade idea for the sake of it, like all of the Bonner/Finley ones.

The small forward and shooting guard positions are interchangeable.

For example, Hedo in 04 with Bruce starting. And Stephen Jackson in 03 with Bruce starting.

Therefore if we traded for Nocioni or Posey for example, Jefferson can easily be put at the starting 2 guard position.

scottspurs
07-23-2009, 12:41 PM
Hell No. You don't trade a seven footer who could develop into a great bigman in the NBA, even if he will never come over.