PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Willis' NBA Fashion Analysis

Kori Ellis
04-07-2005, 02:12 AM
Ready to wear: Willis styling for 21 NBA seasons
By David DuPree, USA TODAY

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2005-04-06-willis-style_x.htm

During his 21-year NBA career, Kevin Willis has been known to critique his teammates' sense of fashion.

The 7-0 center, selected in the 1984 draft, has played for seven teams while becoming somewhat of a self-proclaimed NBA clothes connoisseur.

The 42-year-old started making his own clothes because he found it nearly impossible to find any that were fashionable and fit his 245-pound frame. That led him to open a clothing store. (Related items: All-Time Fashion Five, All-Fashion Team, In need of a makeover and The Big Fashion Plate.)

"My first year in school (at Jackson, Mich., Community College), I decided to major in communications and broadcasting because I thought when I was through playing I could go into television," says Willis, currently on the Atlanta Hawks' injured list. "I changed my major because it seemed (going into television) was what every athlete was planning on doing.

"I also could never, ever, even in high school, go to a store and buy something I liked that would fit. Everything was too short. As I grew, I began to understand that I liked fashion. So when I got to Michigan State, I changed my major to fashion and textiles."

In 1988, during his fourth season in the NBA, Willis and former Spartans teammate Ralph Walker started their company, Willis & Walker, in Atlanta. They cater mainly to NBA players, designing everything from shirts to jackets to suits.

He and Walker first designed and made jackets for themselves, which prompted people to ask where they got them. Once their peers started clamoring for the clothes, Willis knew they were on to something.

"We started making them for Charles Oakley, Karl Malone, Shaquille O'Neal and all the guys," Willis says. "We found a niche. Before we knew it, guys would come by the shop, get measured up and we would make leather jackets, leather pants and suede shirts. Then we got into slacks and suits."

Oakley still buys some of Willis' products. "Kevin just knew what you wanted and he took care of you," he says.

Willis says the new thing in fashion is denim, which is the focus of the company. He and Walker just opened a showroom in Atlanta.

"We try to give the bigger man the same jean and fit and look as the guy that is 6-0 or 5-11," Willis says.

He is holding three pairs of jeans for O'Neal to pick up.

"He does some nice stuff," O'Neal, a noted clotheshorse, says. "Clothes can make the man, but the man also makes the clothes."

Willis assumes the role of fashion police for USA TODAY:

All-Time Fashion Five

Michael Jordan: "Mike got away with pretty much anything," Willis says. "His style, charisma, everything kept him on top, whether it was a suit or whatever. He could wear shoulder pads, leather jackets, you name it. He could wear sweats and rock it."

Charles Oakley: "He dressed like a Temptation or a Four Top. He wasn't afraid of color or anything. He could wear any style of leather or suit and pull it off, shoes on up."

Dominique Wilkins: "He always enjoyed dressing. You could never get 'Nique in jeans. Maybe it was because he had a flat behind. He wore beautiful suits way back in the '80s, and he was coordinated real well."

Hakeem Olajuwon: "He dressed very simply but was very elegant. He loved high-quality fabrics, mink and cashmere, things like that. He loved linen, real lightweight, handkerchief linen in the summer."

Kendall Gill: "He was 6-5 and could wear anything, any color — lime, white, fuchsia — he could pull it off. He had the posture and everything for a good suit."

All-Fashion Team

Allan Houston, New York Knicks: "His look is very simple," Willis says. "He'll wear a very nice sport coat, and the colors match very nicely, a nice pair of slacks or jeans and suede shoes."

Antoine Walker, Boston Celtics: "He wears very nice suits and accessorizes very nicely. He really puts it together."

Antonio Davis, Chicago Bulls: "He has the frame for suits and has very good taste. He is more on the conservative side, and everything is perfect when he puts it on."

Peja Stojakovic, Sacramento Kings: "European flavor, man. I see him in suits, and he wears them well. I like his style."

Alonzo Mourning, Miami Heat: "'Zo knows style and always has a certain air about him. He dresses to let people know he is in the building, not really flashy. He really knows how to put things together and can wear colors, as well."

Sixth Man

Doug Christie, Orlando Magic: "He'll put together a really sharp sports coat-jeans thing, a real nice skullcap or some kind of hat with a nice shirt. It is more of a sporty look, but it is clean and elegant."

In need of a makeover

Charles Barkley, TNT: "He refuses to wear ties, and I keep telling him not to wear rubber-soled shoes with a nice suit," Willis says. "He doesn't listen."

Tyson Chandler, Chicago Bulls: "I saw him walk in a locker room with a pair of $300 jeans on. They were too short for him, and he had them way down on his hips so they would look like they were long enough and he had his shirt out over them. He sure needs some help."

Tim Duncan, San Antonio Spurs: "I love you, man, but you cannot dress. He is jeans, boots, oversized shirt, very comfortable and laid-back. He said the guys convinced him to wear a suit to the game once, and he said he had the worst game of his career and now says he will never go to a game in a suit again."

Steve Francis, Orlando Magic: "The balance is off. He doesn't know how to put it together right. His sports coats aren't right, and the drape of his pants isn't right. The coordination of the whole thing is just off."

Nick Van Exel, Portland Trail Blazers: "Nick will put together a brown and cream plaid sport coat and turn around and put on a brown and beige plaid shirt under it and then put on solid beige pants and brown crocs (shoes). I've seen him do it. Or he'll have a sports coat with the vest connected to it, sewn together. I just say, 'Oh my god, Nick, no, no no, no, no.' "

The Big Fashion Plate

"To be as big as he is, Shaquille O'Neal really dresses well," Willis says. "Because of his size, he has to be careful of what fabrics he uses and what he puts on his feet. He isn't afraid of colors or afraid to wear things."He's kind of a role model for bigger guys. If Shaquille O'Neal can do it, anybody should be able to do it. They shouldn't be uncomfortable, because he is one of the biggest men on the planet and he does it."

Kevin's takes

Friedman's Shoes in Atlanta - ''Guys come to town and buy 10-12 pairs at a time,'' Willis says.

Barney's in New York -''When you're talking about style and high-end sportswear, Barney's is at the top.''

Neiman-Marcus - ''That's the place for ties.''

Specialty boutiques - ''For things like cuff links and socks. Just walk in if you see something you like.''

Walt "Clyde" Frazier

''He set the standard for the NBA,'' Willis says. ''He was the first guy to come out and say, 'Hey guys, look at this. I remember watching him going to an Ali fight. He had on a huge fur coat, brim, the wide-bottom pants. He was just decked out, the shoes and everything. He hasn't changed too much to this day how he dresses. He cleaned it up a little bit because he doesn't want to look like a clown, but he has a style.''

Fashion Tip

''Nix the shades,'' Willis says. ''I never thought sunglasses could do anything except keep the sun out of your eyes. If you wear them to be cool, find another way.''

T Park
04-07-2005, 03:11 AM
Kevin Willis makes Christopher Lowell look straight.

grjr
04-07-2005, 05:15 AM
Speaking of Willis, do you think he'd mind coming back here and drop-kicking Nazr in the shower before the playoffs start?

slayermin
04-07-2005, 05:40 AM

:rollin

He certainly remembers the details.

Rummpd
04-07-2005, 08:11 AM
As someone who used to sell suits in college, a good column.

Whatever, who would of thought of T-Rex as Mr. Fashion. David Robinson maybe, Sean Elliot maybe, Pop not (but improved).

Oh and by the way, TD deserves the slam, worst dresser of superstar ever hands down. Maybe not a suit for him, but get just once and put on a decent shirt, some nice jeans, etc. Even on the golf course he looked like he came out of "green acres".

Barkely also deserves slam even in his Auburn days when I was there with him he dressed like he was in the the Ringling Circus sometimes. Compare him to the eloquent Bo Jackson in dress not even close. Bo used to come in for some suits after he got his first contract, class all the way, went for the British tailoring etc.

Shaq as a style king, maybe in the rap world but have the time his suits look like polyester make overs from the 70s? Give me a break.

Best Spur organization current dresser IMO PJ Carlisemo. Sense of style, subdued sport coats that obviously are tailored, not the back room T J Max specials on some of the other assistants and sometimes Pop.

gophergeorge
04-07-2005, 10:10 AM
Hey! What about me?

Regards,

Bob Hill

exstatic
04-07-2005, 10:19 AM
Hey! What about me?

Regards,

Bob Hill
Excellent dresser, below average coach, as evidenced by the offers and interviews he gets for every NBA opening. Proof that clothes don't make the man.

TMTTRIO
04-07-2005, 10:20 AM
Maybe he should tell his guy Manu to get a haircut :lol

TwoHandJam
04-07-2005, 02:47 PM
Rrrrright.

I'd pay money to see you tell him that to his face.

ShoogarBear
04-07-2005, 08:32 PM
I'd pay money to see you tell him that to his face.
Ditto. Are we taking up a collection?

Steve Francis, Orlando Magic: "The balance is off. He doesn't know how to put it together right. His sports coats aren't right, and the drape of his pants isn't right. The coordination of the whole thing is just off."

Is he talking about his clothes or his game?