PDA

View Full Version : Spurs 2009-2010: Needs?

galvatron3000
07-23-2009, 01:18 PM
With the signing of Theo Ratliff to the Spurs new look retro fitted lineup I'm asking myself what are the needs for this team going into the season. I was wondering what the going rate will be for Ramon Session and whether the franhise could dump salary to make a run at signing him. I thought about Bonner, because I don't see a need for him to remain with Ratliff as the Vet big off the bench and two young bigs in Blair and Mahinmi to follow behind Duncan and McDyess. Finley seems to be a locker room guy the Spurs feel the need to have around on the bench so does it mean Mason could be the odd man out as well? If the Spurs could sign Sessions would losing Mason ( who is one year familiar with the system) and Bonner (who is very familiar with teh system) worth making a run at Sessions? Who's to say the other guys who seem morelikely headed to Austin or perhaps overseas aren't apart of some plan to make a trade for another piece to make sure if Manu isn't well or the same the team is capable of making a serious run at the title this season.

I'm aware that the SL signings aren't very valauable so I don't particularly think anyone shined outside Blair (which would be hard for any of them to be compared against) and Mahinmi may prove to be the youthful center with size the Spurs need over the course of the season.

I'm wondering if nothing else what NEED does this team have now and what should or could be done to possibly meet it?

bigdog
07-23-2009, 01:20 PM
No way the Spurs get Ramon Sessions.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-23-2009, 01:21 PM
No way the Spurs get Ramon Sessions.

This.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-23-2009, 01:22 PM
Not really that many needs left. I guess depth at the 3. But going in with this roster is fine.

ChumpDumper
07-23-2009, 01:24 PM
I don't think our needs include a starting point guard.

bigdog
07-23-2009, 01:25 PM
The only thing I really see that the Spurs need is to get rid of a big (Bonner) because they have too many, and possibly a 3rd string PG if Williams doesn't cut it. I actually thing the 3 position is fine with Jefferson, Finley, and I'm assuming Hairston makes the roster, not to mention Williams has played the 3 in the past.

xtremesteven33
07-23-2009, 01:27 PM
Hill to backup Parker
Hairston to back up Jefferson
Mason to back up Ginobili

hmmmmmm.....

I guess if youre not sold on Hairston try and trade up for maybe Nocioni....

EricB
07-23-2009, 01:29 PM
Another defensive wing would help I'd guess. A raja bell type would be nice off the bench.

galvatron3000
07-23-2009, 01:36 PM
I keep hearing people say they'd like Raja Bell. I know Ramon Sessions is out of the question. I do want to know what his value is though.

bigdog
07-23-2009, 01:37 PM
I keep hearing people say they'd like Raja Bell. I know Ramon Sessions is out of the question. I do want to know what his value is though.

He is MLE and higher value. He is a starting PG in this league.

galvatron3000
07-23-2009, 01:41 PM
For the record I'd like to get another wing guy now that the Big man rotation "seems" to be fine. I think a guy who can play the shooting guard and small forward spot is an area we should make a move to get so Bonner and Mason (possibly) I am comfortable with departing if for the right guy. Is Raja that guy?

ace3g
07-23-2009, 01:56 PM
If the Spurs decide to go the LLE route and salary dump a few players , Rodney Carney or Desmond Mason who can play the SG/SF spot interchangeably.

Also Luther Head, Keith Bogans, Rashad McCants who are more pure SG could be signed

I'd still go for the sign and trade route where the Spurs send out more then they receive, more options through that route

HarlemHeat37
07-23-2009, 01:57 PM
I wouldn't pay any of these swingmen the LLE, when you can have Hairston and Williams for much cheaper..

FromWayDowntown
07-23-2009, 01:59 PM
I'll admit to having given some thought to the defensive wing idea and have concluded that it doesn't strike me as a particularly pressing need or something that the Spurs should sell out to address until some point deeper in the season. Ultimately, the value of a defensive-minded wing is his ability to play significant minutes (both in terms of the number of minutes and when they are played) against elite wing scorers. But to play such a guy on this Spurs team means that either Manu or Jefferson must sit (barring resort to smallball) and I can't imagine Pop sitting either of those guys in the crucial minutes of games, no matter who the opponent is. Thus, the Spurs would be dealing out assets to get a situational guy who would play sporadically and wouldn't likely be on the floor in crunch time, when the need for a defensive stopper is the greatest. Certainly, the value of such a player could be enhanced if Manu is injured, but we won't know that for some time.

I'm not denying that a defensive wing would be useful, but I think that's a luxury more than a need and I don't think the Spurs should overspend for what will only be a luxury. I'm still a big proponent of letting this team play a bit, assessing it's needs over that time, and dealing at that point to address those needs.

MaNu4Tres
07-23-2009, 02:01 PM
For the record I'd like to get another wing guy now that the Big man rotation "seems" to be fine. I think a guy who can play the shooting guard and small forward spot is an area we should make a move to get so Bonner and Mason (possibly) I am comfortable with departing if for the right guy. Is Raja that guy?

James Posey/ Raja Bell/ Andres Nocioni/ Shane Battier.

If something like that would happen it would most likely be at the trading deadline, if their respective teams are out of contention. But I agree

Darkwaters
07-23-2009, 02:02 PM
At this point the only move I see the team making is either signing a 3rd PG or the best youngin' they can find, regardless of position, with the intention of sending them to Austin all year. But at this point we're at 15 guaranteed contracts so that would require waiving someone (Marcus Williams?). No, I think we're good. Hold Bonner and Finley until the trade deadline in February and reassess as it nears. If theres a gaping hole then make the trade. Otherwise, "Feet and knees together, eyes on the horizon and HOLD WHAT YOU GOT AIRBORNE!"

07-23-2009, 04:58 PM
a defensive wing would be a nice luxury, not a necessity though. jefferson and hairston would hopefully bring solid to above average defense. spurs just need all the pieces to mesh and for one or two young players to develop into legitimate rotation players and the spurs are set.