PDA

View Full Version : Off season X-factor?

Supergirl
07-24-2009, 09:09 AM
If/when we win the championship, which player signed in the off-season will be the biggest reason why?

Supergirl
07-24-2009, 09:13 AM
personally, I'm torn between the first 3. Can't decide which to vote for.

Demo Dick Marcinko
07-24-2009, 09:30 AM
Well, lets look at things this way; since our biggest rivals and chief obstacle for winning the WCF are the Lakers. The one player other the Kobe who's always given us trouble because we historically haven't had anyone to match up with him is Lamar Odom in the event that he signs with LA again.

Let's all hear a round of applause for Marcus Haislip. Haislip is freakishly athletic and historically has shot 37% in ACB and Euroleague play from beyond the arc. They are both 6'10, both 230 at least on their bios.

We'll let Kobe get his, but we'll shut down the rest. Duncan, Dice, Blair will do a very go job in the interior against Gasol and Bynum. Blair will probably block out Gasol and will have pushed him back by concession stand.

We already know that the point guard is in favor of the Spurs. Parker and Hill are better then anything that the Lake Show can put out on the court.

Seems to me that the Spurs > Lakers @ PG
Spurs by committee< Lakers @ SG (but not by much, Gino, Mason,Hill and Fin will get their points.
Spurs= Lakers @ SF Haislip cancels out Odom (I think)
Spurs> Lakers @ PF Tim will be better then anyone out there.
Spurs= Lakers @ C only because on a nightly basis you never know which Andrew Bynum is going to show up and because I'm not sure how Dice, Ian or Ratliff will do against Bynum. I do think in the end it will be advantage Spurs because three, good, rested with fresh legs will end up banging wiith Bynum and its' conceivable that they will tire Andrew out and render him ineffective late in the 3rd and the 4th quarter.

DBMethos
07-24-2009, 09:33 AM
Spurs= Lakers @ SF Haislip cancels out Odom (I think)

That's some mighty fine stuff you're smoking, there.

bishopospurs
07-24-2009, 09:38 AM
I would have to say Jefferson is the biggest get, if Ginobli gets hurt we still have a shot with Jefferson on the team. If Duncan goes down I don't believe Blair or McDyess will stop the inevitable.

timtonymanu
07-24-2009, 09:40 AM
not a player, but i say health. then rj. then dice. then blair. then hairston. then ratliff. then haislip.

Demo Dick Marcinko
07-24-2009, 09:40 AM
Don't smoke wiseguy. So you don't think that Haislip is the best match up for Odom that they've ever had? You do know they are clones of each other in height, weight and athletic ability.

I think this was a great move bringing Haislip aboard. I've never seen him play but from the many bios I've read about him he seems like the Spurs answer to Lamar Odom.

Give us an intelligent response as to why you think not.

Look at my post, I did qualify my take by adding (I think) at the end, simply because I've never seen Haislip play.

samikeyp
07-24-2009, 09:45 AM
Doom on you!

DocJerome
07-24-2009, 09:46 AM
Demo Dick Marcinko.

I actually think (from viewing clips on youtube), he may surprise everyone and out play Odom in a head to head matchup. His athletic ability is superior to Odom's, and if his shot translates to the NBA, he is the difference maker in a seven game series.

IronMexican
07-24-2009, 09:47 AM
That's some mighty fine stuff you're smoking, there.

:lol

Darkwaters
07-24-2009, 10:07 AM
Oh the players listed I can't imagine anyone contributing more than Jefferson.

But you know what Jefferson will bring. Hes a known commodity. The player that has the most opportunity to surprise is by far Haislip. His skill-set is just what the doctor ordered and he seems to have grown a lot in Spain. Does it translate? Well I guess thats what we'll have to find out. But the one player that can come out of nowhere and help us the most is without a doubt Marcus Haislip.

Why no mention of George Bell though? He looked pretty good in SL!

Supergirl
07-24-2009, 10:41 AM
Why no mention of George Bell though? He looked pretty good in SL!

Do you mean George Hill? If so, he was signed last year, so he's not a new addition this summer.

D-ROB 50
07-24-2009, 10:45 AM
Do you mean George Hill? If so, he was signed last year, so he's not a new addition this summer.

NO no no, He means George Bell, remember the dude who dominated summer-league. Dat Boy GOOd.

DBMethos
07-24-2009, 11:15 AM
An intelligent response as to why it's unreasonable to expect Haislip to "cancel out" Odom? How about the fact that the guy was a total draft bust and had to go play overseas? The fact that he's been in complete obscurity for several years (where any NBA team could have had him for a very low price)? The fact that he's never played a meaningful minute of NBA basketball in his life? How about the scouting reports, which say that he's developed an OK offensive game but still cannot defend or rebound? And all of a sudden, he's going to come in and nullify a guy who was the 3rd best player on a championship team?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if you were right and Haislip is truly up to the task. Let's just pump the brakes a bit before we talk about him cancelling out Odom, though.

loveforthegame
07-24-2009, 11:19 AM
I voted for Jefferson but I really think it's a tie between him and McDyess.

bus driver
07-24-2009, 11:21 AM
the old man(theo) will come ALIVE!

D-ROB 50
07-24-2009, 11:29 AM
It's hard to say because all the new acquisitions bring something we lacked last season.
scoring, rebounding, athleticism, etc....

buttsR4rebounding
07-24-2009, 11:41 AM
Off season X factor: Peter "Spend it like you got it" Holt:toast

Darkwaters
07-24-2009, 12:01 PM

No, I distinctly remember the announcer talking about George Bell being a solid player. Him and Mark Harrison are going to dominate the league!!!!!!11!!!!!! :lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::flag::f lag::flag::flag::flag::flag::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:: lobt2:

Darkwaters
07-24-2009, 12:03 PM
An intelligent response as to why it's unreasonable to expect Haislip to "cancel out" Odom? How about the fact that the guy was a total draft bust and had to go play overseas? The fact that he's been in complete obscurity for several years (where any NBA team could have had him for a very low price)? The fact that he's never played a meaningful minute of NBA basketball in his life? How about the scouting reports, which say that he's developed an OK offensive game but still cannot defend or rebound? And all of a sudden, he's going to come in and nullify a guy who was the 3rd best player on a championship team?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if you were right and Haislip is truly up to the task. Let's just pump the brakes a bit before we talk about him cancelling out Odom, though.

It smells kind of like Melvin Ely to me.

Still, hes a low cost gamble that could either simply cost us a roster spot and little cash or could yield us a quality role player in a mold that we have nobody anywhere like him.