PDA

View Full Version : Nelson says Mavs are deeper than ever

ducks
09-19-2004, 12:47 AM
Associated Press

DALLAS -- Jason Terry is ready to replace Steve Nash at point guard. Jerry Stackhouse insists he's comfortable coming off the bench.

And Erick Dampier fully understands that he carries the burden of being the center the Dallas Mavericks have long been missing.

"Now it's up to the coaching staff to put it together and get us to play winning basketball at a high level," coach Don Nelson said Friday.

While Nelson and the Mavericks weren't able to make Shaquille O'Neal among their newcomers, the consensus within the organization is that things have worked out pretty well -- especially after their offseason began with the stunning loss of Nash.

In reshaping a team that won 52 games but was knocked out in the first round of the playoffs, the Mavs have become what team officials are calling the "most traditional" of the Nelson era.

Interpretation: "We have centers who are centers, power forwards who are power forwards," Nelson said.

"On paper," he said, "it's the best team we've had."

The new look starts at point guard, with Terry the type of proven scorer and distributor Nelson likes running his offense. Terry jokes that he's ready to fill Nash's shoes because he already has a pair.

The Mavs played an exhibition game on the Arizona campus in 1998 when Terry in college and they used the Wildcats' locker room. Nash was the only player who wore the same size sneaker as Terry and he was nice enough to leave them behind.

"The last time I checked, they still fit," said Terry, happily sharing the anecdote.

Terry will be pushed for playing time by Devin Harris, the fifth overall pick in the draft and the presumed starter after Nash signed with Phoenix. Nelson said he expects Harris to develop into a quality player, but he's not yet ready to take over.

Marquis Daniels and Michael Finley are the incumbents at the swing spots, shooting guard and small forward. Stackhouse can replace either to provide instant offense, while Josh Howard can provide more defense and rebounding.

Stackhouse agreed to being a sixth man before being acquired. He explained Friday that he's not doing it to avoid wear and tear on his surgically repaired knee, but simply to be part of a winning team.

"Nothing is worse to me than going home in April," Stackhouse said. "This is the best team I've been on, top-to-bottom. We have a chance to really play for something big."

Dirk Nowitzki remains the star, perhaps more undeniably than ever. He'll no longer be bumped to small forward because of Antoine Walker or Antawn Jamison -- both of whom were traded -- and he won't be needed any more at center.

"He should be real happy with all this," said Nelson, who will turn to Alan Henderson whenever Nowitzki is out.

When Dallas played in the half court last year, the only reliable offensive play was the pick-and-roll with Nash and Nowitzki. That will change now, not because Nash is gone but because the Mavericks will have more inside options thanks to some unheard of depth at center.

Dampier heads the rotation, with Calvin Booth the top backup. Former starter Shawn Bradley falls to No. 3. There's also two rookie projects, first-round pick Pavel Podkolzin of Russia and D.J. Mbenga of the Congo.

Dampier is the one fans already are counting on to finally give Dallas a presence in the middle. He knows it, too, estimating he's been reminded of it more than a thousand times since he was acquired last month.

"It's going to be a challenge, but I'm really looking forward to it," he said.

Nelson's first challenge will be whittling the roster to 12 players. There have been 13 mentioned already, and the Mavs also have center Evan Eschmeyer, guard Dan Dickau and swingman Tariq Abdul-Wahad. Plus, Avery Johnson is expected to sign soon as a player and assistant coach. He's already paid a dividend by helping convince Dampier to pick Dallas.

Even if the Mavs try clearing up the logjam by making more trades, don't expect a blockbuster like the acquisition of Walker midway through training camp last year.

Instead, Nelson will spend camp making sure players get to know each other, figuring out the best way to use them getting them to accept and understand their new roles.

"I think every position will be stronger defensively, yet I think we'll score it equally as well as we have in the past," Nelson said. "That's a good combination."

sports.espn.go.com/espn/w...id=1883773 (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nba&id=1883773)

TacoBeer
09-19-2004, 02:59 PM
Yea in Deep $heet!!!

Brodels
09-19-2004, 04:04 PM
He might be right, but that doesn't translate to victories.

Terry will be solid, but they may miss Nash's energy.

More importantly, they have to define exactly what kind of team that they are. They have always been a high octane fast breaking team since Nelly has been there. If Damp is going to play big minutes, that's going to limit their ability to run. Terry isn't going to run the break as well as Nash did. They are probably going to try to utilize their fast break offense while getting the ball to Damp in the halfcourt set.

I'm not convinced that it will work. Can Nelly succeed with this kind of team? I think they'll be good, but it's hard to imagine them becoming championship material. They need an identity first and foremost.

Spurminator
09-19-2004, 04:10 PM
Getting rid of Antoine Walker was an addition by subtraction.

Their success hinges on how many games Dampier can play.

I think they will be better than last year, but that may not translate into a better standing if the Nuggets and Rockets capitalize on their changes.

Kevin Kaster
09-19-2004, 05:04 PM
Mavs look good this year. We'll see how Dirk does in this new system, as last year's system sucked balls for Dirk.

Tacker
11-30-2009, 11:39 AM
Mavs look good this year. We'll see how Dirk does in this new system, as last year's system sucked balls for Dirk.

True that, the new defensive system seems to be clicking.

SpursRulez4eVeR
11-30-2009, 11:41 AM
watz up w/ the diggin old posts

Spursfan092120
11-30-2009, 11:45 AM
watz up w/ the diggin old posts
It's Tacker, dude...the guy doesn't know what the hell he's doing.