PDA

View Full Version : Perry raises possibility of states' rights showdown with White House over healthcare

George Gervin's Afro
07-24-2009, 12:21 PM
http://www.star-telegram.com/804/story/1504240.html

Perry raises possibility of states' rights showdown with White House over healthcare

By DAVE [email protected]

AUSTIN — Gov. Rick Perry, raising the specter of a showdown with the Obama administration, suggested Thursday that he would consider invoking states’ rights protections under the 10th Amendment to resist the president’s healthcare plan, which he said would be "disastrous" for Texas.

Interviewed by conservative talk show host Mark Davis of Dallas’ WBAP/820 AM, Perry said his first hope is that Congress will defeat the plan, which both Perry and Davis described as "Obama Care." But should it pass, Perry predicted that Texas and a "number" of states might resist the federal health mandate.

"I think you’ll hear states and governors standing up and saying 'no’ to this type of encroachment on the states with their healthcare," Perry said. "So my hope is that we never have to have that stand-up. But I’m certainly willing and ready for the fight if this administration continues to try to force their very expansive government philosophy down our collective throats."

Perry, the state’s longest-serving governor, has made defiance of Washington a hallmark of his state administration as well as his emerging re-election campaign against U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison in the 2010 Republican primary. Earlier this year, Perry refused $555 million in federal unemployment stimulus money, saying it would subject Texas to long-term costs after the federal dollars ended.

Interviewed after returning from a trip to Iraq and Afghanistan, Perry spoke out against President Barack Obama’s healthcare package less than 24 hours after the president used a prime-time news conference Wednesday night to try to sell the massive legislative package to Congress and the public.

'Not the solution’

"It really is a state issue, and if there was ever an argument for the 10th Amendment and for letting the states find a solution to their problems, this may be at the top of the class," Perry said. "A government-run healthcare system is financially unstable. It’s not the solution."

Perry heartily backed an unsuccessful resolution in this year’s legislative session that would have affirmed the belief that Texas has sovereignty under the 10th Amendment over all powers not otherwise granted to the federal government.

In expressing "unwavering support" for the 10th Amendment resolution by state Rep. Brandon Creighton, R-Conroe, Perry said "federal government has become oppressive in its size, its intrusion into the lives of our citizens and its interference with the affairs of our state."

Returning to the "letter and spirit" of the 10th Amendment, he said in April, "will free our state from undue regulations and ultimately strengthen our union."

Perry, in his on-air interview Thursday with Davis, did not specify how he might use the 10th Amendment in opposing the Obama health plan. His spokeswoman, Allison Castle, said that the governor’s first goal is to defeat the plan in Congress and that any discussion of options beyond that would be "hypothetical."

"I don’t think it’s surprising that the governor is taking a stand against it," said Anne Dunkelberg, associate director of the Center for Public Policy Priorities, an Austin-based research organization that supports the House version of Obama’s plan. "Unfortunately, the national dialogue on health reform has been extraordinarily partisan and polarized."

The White House Media Affairs Office, asked to comment on Perry’s statements, did not have an immediate response. In his remarks to the nation Wednesday, Obama restated his midsummer deadline for passage of the bill in Congress, saying it is urgently needed to help families "that are being clobbered by healthcare costs."

High stakes in Texas

Texas has a higher percentage of uninsured people than any other state, with 1 in 4 Texans lacking health coverage. Dunkelberg, whose organization supports policies to help low- and modest-income Texans, said the House version would create a "predictable and comprehensive benefits package" for thousands of struggling middle-income Texans.

Former Rep. Arlene Wohlgemuth of Burleson, a senior fellow for healthcare at the conservative Texas Public Policy Foundation, echoed Perry’s assertion that the Obama plan is the wrong approach and could have disastrous financial consequences for Texas.

Under the Senate version of the bill, she said, an expansion of the joint federal-state Medicaid program for the poor could cost Texas $4 billion a year.

"There are good solutions" to the country’s healthcare problems, Wohlgemuth said. "This isn’t it."

Perry said the plan is another example of the Obama administration’s "massive takeover of the private-sector economy."

"I hope our leaders will look for solutions that don’t dig our country further into debt," he said.

Perry called on Texans in the House and Senate to oppose the plan. "I can’t imagine that anyone from Texas who cares about this state would vote for Obama Care. I don’t care whether you’re Democrat or Republican," he said.

Of those Texans who might consider supporting the plan, he said: "This may sound a little bit harsh, but they might ought to consider representing some other state because they’re sure not representing Texas."

Do it Rick!

Wild Cobra
07-24-2009, 12:22 PM
Oregon has it's own health care plan. Has for years, being the crapitol of the North Left coast.

I wonder if the Oregon government would want to impose states rights as well?

FromWayDowntown
07-24-2009, 12:24 PM
He should bluster about secession again!

George Gervin's Afro
07-24-2009, 12:54 PM
I am embarrassed when I tell people I'm from Texas... I usually have to let them know that we all aren't knuckle draggers..

SonOfAGun
07-24-2009, 01:31 PM
I am embarrassed when I tell people I'm from Texas... I usually have to let them know that we all aren't knuckle draggers..

I am embarrassed a fellow Texan such as yourself, lets the outside shit states' perspective offend you.

I'm all for the 10th amendment getting MVP of Obama's first term.

edit: I am not a redneck, but these psuedo-intellectual east/west coast gentlemen do not impress me. These wannabes my age I see all the time think they understand the game, but they are just as fucking clueless as our stereotypical bubbas. The only difference is they feel empowered because they have all their teeth and some years of indoctrinated education.

Spursmania
07-24-2009, 03:17 PM
I am embarrassed a fellow Texan such as yourself, lets the outside shit states' perspective offend you.

I'm all for the 10th amendment getting MVP of Obama's first term.

edit: I am not a redneck, but these psuedo-intellectual east/west coast gentlemen do not impress me. These wannabes my age I see all the time think they understand the game, but they are just as fucking clueless as our stereotypical bubbas. The only difference is they feel empowered because they have all their teeth and some years of indoctrinated education.

SOG, I completely agree with you. I am proud to be a Texan. Hell we're one of the states still going strong and surviving this recession much better than most states. So, Texas is obviously doing something right.

Is it any surprise Pelosi is from California-the spend, spend, and spend again bleeding liberal...

sam1617
07-24-2009, 03:24 PM
I absolutely, 100% agree that this is an issue for states. I hope that Perry isn't just blustering like normal, and if the health care reform actually goes into place, that we can just say fuck you to the federal government.

Supergirl
07-24-2009, 04:14 PM
Gov Goodhair has been a disaster for the state of Texas.
1 in 4 of your residents has no health care? You're doing something wrong, schmuck. Whether it's state-funded or employer funded, you need to figure out how to take better care of the people who elected your sorry ass.

Wild Cobra
07-24-2009, 04:17 PM
1 in 4 of your residents has no health care? You're doing something wrong, schmuck. Whether it's state-funded or employer funded, you need to figure out how to take better care of the people who elected your sorry ass.
Instead of being a government teat sucking crybaby, better yourself and get a job that provides you with medical care.

Life is full of challenges. It would be rather boring to take that away. Where would the satisfaction of personal accomplishment come from if you take that away?

sam1617
07-24-2009, 04:30 PM

Why does he have to figure out how to get them health care?

A) The Governor doesn't have a ton of power in Texas.
B) It just hasn't been a huge issue here, as far as I can tell.

Spursmania
07-24-2009, 04:36 PM

Health care is not a right.

SnakeBoy
07-24-2009, 05:00 PM

I normally consider you a complete idiot but in this case I fully agree with you. Texas is a horrible place to live. Everyone do yourself a favor and stay away from Texas. Stop moving here!

ElNono
07-24-2009, 05:03 PM
Instead of being a government teat sucking crybaby, better yourself and get a job that provides you with medical care.

What if you can't get a job BECAUSE of a temporary medical condition? What if you lost your job and coverage in the first place because of that?

I tell you what's next: 17K, 20K, 40K in debt (if you can get the credit), followed by either bankruptcy or years to pay that off.

I don't claim health insurance being a right. But just like the state provides services that are a safety net to fall back to so we don't have to put out huge fires ourselves, or we don't have to go hunting for the weekly outlaw out there, I would certainly not mind them providing another safety net in this case.

sabar
07-24-2009, 05:25 PM
What if you can't get a job BECAUSE of a temporary medical condition? What if you lost your job and coverage in the first place because of that?

I tell you what's next: 17K, 20K, 40K in debt (if you can get the credit), followed by either bankruptcy or years to pay that off.

I don't claim health insurance being a right. But just like the state provides services that are a safety net to fall back to so we don't have to put out huge fires ourselves, or we don't have to go hunting for the weekly outlaw out there, I would certainly not mind them providing another safety net in this case.

I think it would be better if people used their friends, family, and neighbors as a safety net instead of random strangers.

And if they have none, they have failed at a very simple and critical part of life.

sabar
07-24-2009, 05:27 PM

I've never had anyone look down at me for telling them where I am from. :rolleyes

I can tell I'm more educated than them anyways and they end up feeling embarrassed inside of themselves. :wakeup

Yonivore
07-24-2009, 05:31 PM
:lmao

Crookshanks
07-24-2009, 05:43 PM

Then they take a good look at you - and there goes your argument. :lmao

ploto
07-24-2009, 06:35 PM
Yeah, Rick, you are doing such a good job handling it yourself.

Texas has a higher percentage of uninsured people than any other state, with 1 in 4 Texans lacking health coverage.

Bender
07-24-2009, 07:46 PM
probably because of the millions of illegals. Plus the legals who are unemployed, on welfare, and being general drags on entire state.

jack sommerset
07-24-2009, 09:09 PM

:lol That is greatness!! You should move bro. I help you pack but no funny business fag. I'm talking about packing ur clothes not ur fudge.

Marcus Bryant
07-24-2009, 09:46 PM

Are those the same people who keep moving here in droves from other parts of the US because there are actually jobs here? Put 2 and 2 together sometime, cupcake.

Marcus Bryant
07-24-2009, 09:50 PM
probably because of the millions of illegals. Plus the legals who are unemployed, on welfare, and being general drags on entire state.

Right. Obviously the state should head down the budgetary path which Cali has trod. Then we can have double digit unemployment and $50 billion deficit with the state's credit headed to junk status.

It would be nice if the douchebags from LA would stop moving to Atown.

DMX7
07-24-2009, 09:54 PM
Are those the same people who keep moving here in droves from other parts of the US because there are actually jobs here? Put 2 and 2 together sometime, cupcake.

Yeah, it's Rick Perry who saved this state and not Oil.

Marcus Bryant
07-24-2009, 09:57 PM
Yeah, it's Rick Perry who saved this state and not Oil.

I never claimed he did and it's more than just energy which has cushioned this state over the last year, not to mention the lack of death by regulation and stupidity which has hamstrung plenty of other states.

spurster
07-24-2009, 11:02 PM
Well, if this is a valid argument, Perry should get Texas out of Medicare and Medicaid.

Yonivore
07-24-2009, 11:13 PM
Well, if this is a valid argument, Perry should get Texas out of Medicare and Medicaid.
I agree...but, only when Texans are allowed to quit sending tax dollars to Washington that support those programs.

Yonivore
07-24-2009, 11:14 PM
Texas used the most federal stimulus money to cover our budget this time around.

the most. out of 50 states.

now you know
Source? I'd be interested to see that.

Winehole23
07-25-2009, 12:22 AM
Yeah, remember Gov. Perry's brave stand on the stimulus money?

How'd that work out? :lol

manufan10
07-25-2009, 01:14 AM
:lol That is greatness!! You should move bro. I help you pack but no funny business fag. I'm talking about packing ur clothes not ur fudge.

:lmao

ElNono
07-25-2009, 01:31 AM
I think it would be better if people used their friends, family, and neighbors as a safety net instead of random strangers.

And if they have none, they have failed at a very simple and critical part of life.

I see, if you're poor and you come from a poor family you have failed in life...

:jack

ChumpDumper
07-25-2009, 01:35 AM
Texas' $3.2 billion stimulus plan approved

By Kate Alexander
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Saturday, July 25, 2009

The U.S. Department of Education on Friday approved Texas' plan for spending billions in federal stimulus money.

The state's $3.2 billion plan includes money for textbooks and a $1.9 billion increase in school funding, which will provide for an $800 raise for all Texas teachers and other school workers.

The decision announced Friday makes $2 billion available now, with the remaining money contingent upon a second application due this fall.

Gov. Rick Perry, a critic of the federal stimulus legislation, said he was pleased that the federal government approved the state's plan.

There had been concerns that Texas' application might not win federal approval.

Congressional Democrats had complained that the state misused its stimulus money by filling its budget holes with the federal dollars while leaving its $9.1 billion rainy day fund untouched.

"While I am pleased that our hardworking Texas teachers are each assured a well-deserved raise, we could and should have done much better by our local public schools," said U.S. Rep. Lloyd Doggett, D-Austin.

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/region/legislature/stories/2009/07/25/0725edstimulus.html

:lol

ChumpDumper
07-25-2009, 01:35 AM

By Kate Alexander
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Saturday, July 25, 2009

The U.S. Department of Education on Friday approved Texas' plan for spending billions in federal stimulus money.

The state's $3.2 billion plan includes money for textbooks and a $1.9 billion increase in school funding, which will provide for an $800 raise for all Texas teachers and other school workers.

The decision announced Friday makes $2 billion available now, with the remaining money contingent upon a second application due this fall.

Gov. Rick Perry, a critic of the federal stimulus legislation, said he was pleased that the federal government approved the state's plan.

Congressional Democrats had complained that the state misused its stimulus money by filling its budget holes with the federal dollars while leaving its $9.1 billion rainy day fund untouched.

"While I am pleased that our hardworking Texas teachers are each assured a well-deserved raise, we could and should have done much better by our local public schools," said U.S. Rep. Lloyd Doggett, D-Austin.

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/region/legislature/stories/2009/07/25/0725edstimulus.html

FuzzyLumpkins
07-25-2009, 01:41 AM
I find Perry hilarious. He doesn't have jack for actual policy decision making. Texas like most reconstruction states gave the governor very few powers in favor of the lt. governor. Dude is just a loudmouth who wants to get rednecks to go 'woohoo, Perry is GREAT.' He has about zero clout to get what he is supposedly wanting done.

All the while Texas has been taking billions upon billions of highway funds from Washington for decades, a multitude of Texas fire and police departments and school boards are applying for federal stimulus money and his DoT is applying for a light rail system to connect San Antonio, Austin, Dallas and Houston by high speed rail.

He can blowhard all he wants but at the end of the day what he is saying is not the reality of Texas politics. His constituents are clearly saying that they want the federal funding.

Bartleby
07-25-2009, 09:08 AM
All the while Texas has been taking billions upon billions of highway funds from Washington for decades, a multitude of Texas fire and police departments and school boards are applying for federal stimulus money and his DoT is applying for a light rail system to connect San Antonio, Austin, Dallas and Houston by high speed rail.

Let's not forget Federal Disaster Relief:

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2009/04/texas-run-secessionist-guv-has-received-federal-disaster-relief-more-times-any-state

Wild Cobra
07-25-2009, 12:50 PM
I normally consider you a complete idiot but in this case I fully agree with you. Texas is a horrible place to live. Everyone do yourself a favor and stay away from Texas. Stop moving here!
LOL...

We've been telling people for years "We don't tan in Oregon, we rust." They keep moving here anyway. Oh well, with really nice summers like we normally have, it's hard to convince them.

Wild Cobra
07-25-2009, 12:52 PM

I actually am in favor of helping people who truly need help. That's not what this legislation is about though.

Wild Cobra
07-25-2009, 12:54 PM
I see, if you're poor and you come from a poor family you have failed in life...

:jack
This may not sound nice, but if a couple cannot support a family, they shouldn't have sex! Expecting others to pay is a sin against society.

Nbadan
07-26-2009, 05:30 AM
Texas has more uninsured people than any other state....

r6XBDmyzaTs

angrydude
07-26-2009, 11:08 AM
What is Rick Perry fanning the flames of Texas pride for all of a sudden?

Can he still run for another term? He's been Governor forever it feels like.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-26-2009, 11:11 AM
What is Rick Perry fanning the flames of Texas pride for all of a sudden?

Can he still run for another term? He's been Governor forever it feels like.

Its pretty obvious hes trying to get national attention. Hes saying one thing to the national press and something completely else to the locals. Hell we took more stimulus money then anyone else and are leading in the race to get light rail funding.

Most politicians are bad but this guy is a complete bastard.

ElNono
07-26-2009, 11:18 AM
This may not sound nice, but if a couple cannot support a family, they shouldn't have sex! Expecting others to pay is a sin against society.

Expecting people not to have sex is not a very realistic expectation either.
Let's deal with reality please.

George Gervin's Afro
07-26-2009, 11:22 AM

Well they could use birth control...

shouldn't you be happy that more life is being created?

ElNono
07-26-2009, 03:08 PM
Well they could use birth control...

Birth control is not 100% guaranteed to prevent a pregnancy, that's why he suggests the no sex policy in the first place.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-26-2009, 07:21 PM

By Kate Alexander
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Saturday, July 25, 2009

Is it the state legislature or perry who decides how much stimulus dollars to use for anything?

Supergirl
07-27-2009, 02:59 PM
Birth control is not 100% guaranteed to prevent a pregnancy, that's why he suggests the no sex policy in the first place.

Actually, birth control (the pill, Depo-Provera, and other forms of oral contraception) are all 99.9% guaranteed to prevent pregnancy when taken consistently. It's pretty much impossible to get pregnant on the pill unless you aren't taking it correctly.

Condoms are about 85% effective in preventing pregnancy when used correctly.

101A
07-27-2009, 03:54 PM

Bumper Sticker I saw recently:

Don't ever ask a person where they're from.

If they're from Texas they'll tell you.

If they're not it'll just be embarrassing.

ducks
07-27-2009, 04:10 PM

yep it is the gov fault not the people living their fault

lets get a bigger bigger bigger gov

lets get the gov to bail you out

Spursmania
07-31-2009, 07:33 AM
Perry is all talk.:lol

fyatuk
07-31-2009, 07:52 AM
Hey, look, I actually agree with Perry, sort of. The kind of project Obama is proposing is complete BS under the 10th Amendment. However, Texas itself needs to look at doing something to reduce health care costs.

I think the same thing about a lot of Dem projects. Crap/unconstitutional at the Federal level, but would be nice at the state.

Why, oh why, did Lincoln have to kill the 10th Amendment? (well, I know why, and it was definitely a good idea, killing the 10th was just a lamentable side effect).

Wild Cobra
07-31-2009, 10:11 AM
Perry is all talk.:lol
Most politicians are.

If we could just harness all that hot air somehow...