PDA

View Full Version : Obama: I telephoned Harvard professor's arresting officer

Gino
07-24-2009, 01:39 PM
http://www.cnn.com/

I FREAKING KNEW IT!!!

I said he would tip-toe around it and eventually apologize. Same as the Rev. Wright situation.

LOL, Obama!

clambake
07-24-2009, 01:42 PM
that was a good (as chump said) non-apology apology.

Gino
07-24-2009, 01:43 PM
Sorry for starting another thread on the subject, but I just HAD to pat myself on the back for this one.

I was just saying how this was going to happen, and then I click on CNN and there it is unfolding exactly how I said it would.

Oh, Gee!!
07-24-2009, 01:43 PM
this is why I never help my friends

ChumpDumper
07-24-2009, 01:44 PM
that was a good (as chump said) non-apology apology.A political classic.

Viva Las Espuelas
the hell with the professor. what about the cop. keep up the good work barry. it's not if you win or lose it's how you look doing it.

clambake
we all expected to hear more. are you satisfied with it?

Spursmania
07-24-2009, 01:45 PM
:lmao

He better stick to his teleprompters speeches...

ChumpDumper
07-24-2009, 01:45 PM
Sorry for starting another thread on the subject, but I just HAD to pat myself on the back for this one.

I was just saying how this was going to happen, and then I click on CNN and there it is unfolding exactly how I said it would.Doesn't seem like much tiptoeing, and it's happening much more quickly than the Wright thing, so it's not exactly how you said it would.

SonOfAGun
07-24-2009, 01:46 PM
This is what happens when the TOTUS GETS GOT.

RIP.

ChumpDumper
07-24-2009, 01:46 PM
the hell with the professor. what about the cop.The cop acted stupidly.

clambake
07-24-2009, 01:49 PM
The cop acted stupidly.

but being stupid is not a crime.

SonOfAGun
07-24-2009, 01:51 PM
Stupid to be a dick to a cop. You complicate the scene, your case is weak.

Educated black man should know this, just saying :bking

ChumpDumper
07-24-2009, 01:52 PM
but being stupid is not a crime.Exaclty.

Stupid to be a dick to a cop. Your complicate the scene your case is weak.

Educated black man should know this, just saying :bkingIf you claim to be educated, you might want to edit that second sentence.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-24-2009, 02:04 PM
The cop acted stupidly.
the cop did his job. i'm glad you're not a cop.

ChumpDumper
07-24-2009, 02:06 PM
the cop did his job. i'm glad you're not a cop.Right he did his job, then he stupidly stuck around and stupidly arrested and stupidly cuffed and stupidly detained the homeowner and taxpayer he had been dispatched to protect.

Gino
07-24-2009, 02:08 PM
The cop acted stupidly.

According to Obama, you need to calibrate your words better :lol :

Obama: Choice Of Words On Gates 'Unfortunate'
Related LinksWBZ-TV Local Coverage

President Barack Obama has called the white policeman who arrested black Harvard scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr. The president says he believes the sergeant to be an outstanding police officer.

The president said Friday that he continues to think both the officer, Sgt. James Crowley, and Gates overreacted during the incident -- but Obama also faulted his own comments.

Making an impromptu appearance at the daily White House briefing, Obama told reporters: "I could've calibrated those words differently."

The president caused a stir when he said at a prime-time news conference earlier this week that police in Cambridge, Mass., had "acted stupidly" by arresting Gates.

http://cbs4.com/national/Henry.Louis.Gates.2.1099948.html

Gino
07-24-2009, 02:08 PM
Right he did his job, then he stupidly stuck around and stupidly arrested and stupidly cuffed and stupidly detained the homeowner and taxpayer he had been dispatched to protect.

Your post was stupid.

clambake
07-24-2009, 02:09 PM
just like he said, the cop acted stupidly.

ChumpDumper
07-24-2009, 02:10 PM
According to Obama, you need to calibrate your words better :lol :

http://cbs4.com/national/Henry.Louis.Gates.2.1099948.htmlI don't have to calibrate shit.

Are you going to have me arrested if I don't? :lol

ChumpDumper
07-24-2009, 02:11 PM
Your post was stupid.Nah, it was spot on.

Why didn't he just leave?

Please explain why he had an overriding obligation to stay at the scene.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-24-2009, 02:13 PM
Right he did his job, then he stupidly stuck around and stupidly arrested and stupidly cuffed and stupidly detained the homeowner and taxpayer he had been dispatched to protect.he didn't "just stick around" you obviously can't read police reports. or just read, period

clambake
07-24-2009, 02:13 PM
the cop wouldn't leave until he proved that white trumps black.

Gino
07-24-2009, 02:14 PM
I don't have to calibrate shit.

Are you going to have me arrested if I don't? :lol

El Presidente Barry says you should! :lol

ChumpDumper
he didn't "just stick around" you obviously can't read police reports. or just read, periodWhy didn't he just leave once his burglary investigation was over?

Tell me, I'll read your answer.

Viva Las Espuelas
"as i began walking throught the foyer towards the front door".................

SonOfAGun
Stupid v. Stupid

Yet only one can arrest, mf'ers :lol

Gino
07-24-2009, 02:15 PM
Nah, it was spot on.

Why didn't he just leave?

Please explain why he had an overriding obligation to stay at the scene.

As someone else said, read the report:

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/download/2009/0720/20120754.pdf

ChumpDumper
07-24-2009, 02:15 PM
El Presidente Barry says you should! :lolNo, he doesn't.

You are just making shit up now :lol

Viva Las Espuelas
07-24-2009, 02:16 PM
"i again told gates that i would speak with him outside.".......

ChumpDumper
07-24-2009, 02:16 PM
As someone else said, read the report:

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/down...0/20120754.pdfAnd you can't post a link correctly either.

You are full of fail today. :lol

Viva Las Espuelas
07-24-2009, 02:17 PM
"my reason for wanting to leave the residence was that gates was yelling very loud"......

SnakeBoy
are you satisfied with it?

I thought he did alright. The part about him still thinking the cops overreacted when they pulled the prof out of his house and took him to jail might require another apology err..clarification.

ChumpDumper
"i again told gates that i would speak with him outside.".......Why speak with him outside?

Why speak with him at all?

Just leave.

ChumpDumper
07-24-2009, 02:18 PM
"my reason for wanting to leave the residence was that gates was yelling very loud"......So he wanted to leave, but he didn't leave.

Just leave.

Gino
No, he doesn't.

You are just making shit up now :lol

If the president can admit he made a mistake, you should too Chumpy.

Like Obama said, "calibrate your words better" next time!

Viva Las Espuelas
yeah. it's makes more sense to arrest someone in front of God and everybody if you're trying to hide something instead of just arresting him in his home and lie on the police report.

clambake
I thought he did alright. The part about him still thinking the cops overreacted when they pulled the prof out of his house and took him to jail might require another apology err..clarification.

wouldn't have happened if gates were white.

ChumpDumper
07-24-2009, 02:19 PM
If the president can admit he made a mistake, you should too Chumpy.I didn't make a mistake. It was a stupid arrest.

SonOfAGun
Chump you should interview the cop and post it here.

Viva Las Espuelas
So he wanted to leave, but he didn't leave.

Just leave.

'cause he was addressing gates questions toward him.
face it. you're wrong. cop is right. you fail in this and if you were a cop.
you should go to bed now.

ChumpDumper
yeah. it's makes more sense to arrest someone in front of God and everybody if you're trying to hide something instead of just arresting him in his home and lie on the police report.Why arrest him at all?

Just leave.

clambake
07-24-2009, 02:20 PM
yeah. it's makes more sense to arrest someone in front of God and everybody if you're trying to hide something instead of just arresting him in his home and lie on the police report.

the power trip shouldn't have happened at all.

SonOfAGun
Chump how long you been on the force, braaah?

Viva Las Espuelas
I didn't make a mistake. It was a stupid arrest.
sotomayor will be confirmed.
you are wrong
cop was right.

please stop adding to fail

ChumpDumper
07-24-2009, 02:21 PM
'cause he was addressing gates questions toward him.Why address his questions?

Just leave.

face it. you're wrong. cop is right. you fail in this and if you were a cop.
you should go to bed now.I'm right. The cop was wrong. The charge was dropped and the whole episode was an embarrassment.

Just leave.

SonOfAGun

power trip...funny you should mention that

YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHO YOU ARE DEALING WITH.

:rollin

Viva Las Espuelas
if gates only realized that.

Gino
And you can't post a link correctly either.

You are full of fail today. :lol

I fixed it, but youre REALLY stretching now Chumpy. :lol

Whats the matter, did El Presidente leave you high and dry?

"Calibrate your words better!"

clambake
hows "B" girl?

ChumpDumper
sotomayor will be confirmed.
you are wrong
cop was right.

please stop adding to failIt was a stupid arrest.

I'm right. The cop was wrong.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-24-2009, 02:22 PM
chump living up to his name

Gino
07-24-2009, 02:22 PM
It was a stupid arrest.

Thats not what Obama says!

Why do you disagree with the president?

clambake
07-24-2009, 02:23 PM
if gates only realized that.

no, gates forgot he was a black man in his own home.

Viva Las Espuelas
chump grasping at straws

ChumpDumper
:lol

I fixed it, but youre REALLY stretching now Chumpy. :lolNot at all. You're failing all over the place. You can't give a compelling reason for the cop to stay.

Whats the matter, did El Presidente leave you high and dry?No, he did exactly what I said he would.

SonOfAGun
07-24-2009, 02:24 PM
It was a stupid arrest.

As a service to our great nation, you should take over teaching this cop's racial profiling class.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-24-2009, 02:24 PM
no, gates forgot he was a black man in his own home.
clammy failing like chump

ChumpDumper
07-24-2009, 02:25 PM
Why didn't the cops just leave after they did their job?

Viva Las Espuelas
brangelina
spiedi
dumpbake

ChumpDumper
As a service to our great nation, you should take over teaching this cop's racial profiling class.it wasn't a case of profiling. It was a case of a cop being stupid.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-24-2009, 02:26 PM
cop doing his job
professor being stupid

ChumpDumper
07-24-2009, 02:27 PM
cop doing his job
professor being stupidThe cop's job was done.

And being stupid isn't a jailable offense, otherwise you'd have a life sentence.

Just leave.

Gino
07-24-2009, 02:28 PM

No..Clammy is jut trying to be funny.

Chump is really trying to argue but he's got no leg to stand on. Even the president admitted everything Chumpy is saying is poorly "calibrated".

Chump is just too proud to admit he's lost.

There will be other threads Chumpy. Tomorrow is anothr day!

SonOfAGun
it wasn't a case of profiling. It was a case of a cop being stupid.

Chump, that is very inconsiderate.

A lone cop, with a wife and 3 children, arrives to a black man's home with the intent to protect, thinking there are two suspects with backpacks breaking into the back only to find an enraged black man hesitant to show I.D. screaming like a mad man at the 5-0.

Cop shows up with his life on the line and this is how you treat him? You are cold-blooded chump. Release the hate from you heart.

clambake

what happened to the black man that assaulted your poor victim girl?

clambake
07-24-2009, 02:30 PM
shouting white power does not make it right.

the cop should resign. he's probably a gun planter.

Gino
07-24-2009, 02:31 PM
cop doing his job
professor being stupid

Cop doing his job.

Professor being an asshole.

"I'll speak with your mama outside!!"

"Im Calling the chief!!!"

"You havent heard the last of me!!!"

ASSHOLE!

sam1617
07-24-2009, 02:32 PM

You really are an idiot aren't you...

Viva Las Espuelas
07-24-2009, 02:32 PM
what happened to the black man that assaulted your poor victim girl?

8 month old forum that i corrected my stance on....................................8 months ago.

don't hate me 'cause you didn't get a reacharound with your mechanic bill.

SonOfAGun
07-24-2009, 02:33 PM

He was not shouting WHITE POWER, he was shouting WHITE POWDER!

ChumpDumper

A lone cop, with a wife and 3 children, arrives to a black man's home with the intent to protect, thinking there are two suspects with backpacks breaking into the back only to find an enraged black man hesitant to show I.D. screaming like a mad man at the 5-0.

Cop shows up with his life on the line and this is how you treat him? You are cold-blooded chump. Release the hate from you heart.Are you kidding me?

All that shit was long over. There were multiple cops there and no evidence of any burglary.

It was a stupid arrest.

Gino

Cop shows up with his life on the line and this is how you treat him? You are cold-blooded chump. Release the hate from you heart.

:toast

Marcus Bryant
07-24-2009, 02:34 PM

Why he should've welcomed the cop into his home, offered him tea, shined his shoes, and addressed him as Massah.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-24-2009, 02:34 PM
The cop's job was done.

And being stupid isn't a jailable offense, otherwise you'd have a life sentence.

Just leave.

Disorderly Conduct

Disorderly conduct is one of the most common offenses in the United States, and is often the result of unreasonable police officers giving someone a hard time until they lose their cool.
Disorderly conduct generally includes most kinds of unruly or disturbing behaviors, which acts to provoke a disturbance.
Disorderly conduct laws exist in every state, and are often used as a “catch-all” charge for minor offenses. It is important to note that disorderly conduct is a prosecutable offense, which can lead to fines, jail time (http://www.criminal-law-lawyer-source.com/tips/jail.html), and other punishments upon conviction.
Examples of Disorderly Conduct
Disorderly conduct offenses vary widely by state. Here are some of the most common acts that are considered disorderly conduct offenses:

Public drunkenness
Inciting a riot
disturbance of the peace
loitering in certain areas
fighting (http://www.criminal-law-lawyer-source.com/terms/fighting.html) / physical altercations
obstructing traffic
use of extremely obscene or abusive language
loud or unreasonable noise

Given the wide range of behaviors that could constitute disorderly conduct, a person may be arrested for this crime without proper cause. Virtually any socially offensive or disruptive conduct may be prosecuted as disorderly conduct.
Consequences of Disorderly Conduct
While disorderly conduct may seem like an insignificant charge at first, individuals with a disorderly conduct conviction (http://www.criminal-law-lawyer-source.com/terms/conviction.html) on their record may have a difficult time pursuing educational, career, and other opportunities in the future. In addition, a disorderly conduct conviction may influence the outcome of any subsequent bout with the law.
Disorderly conduct charges might be dropped after an arrest or may be prosecuted as misdemeanors (http://www.criminal-law-lawyer-source.com/terms/misdemeanor.html). In some more serious cases, disorderly conduct can be prosecuted as a felony, which may result in significant jail time.
A disorderly conduct conviction can bring significant punishment, including fines, community service, compulsory counseling, and jail time. A judge sentencing someone for disorderly conduct will often consider that person’s criminal history.
A first-time offender's disorderly conduct sentence is typically very light. This sentence may be even be suspended if certain conditions are met.

google is your friend, faildump

ChumpDumper
07-24-2009, 02:35 PM
Cop doing his job.

Professor being an asshole.

"I'll speak with your mama outside!!"

"Im Calling the chief!!!"

"You havent heard the last of me!!!"

ASSHOLE!Not a jailable offense.

It was a stupid arrest.

clambake
8 month old forum that i corrected my stance on....................................8 months ago.

don't hate me 'cause you didn't get a reacharound with your mechanic bill.

i'm merely showing that you have a pattern of bashing blacks at the drop of a hate........and it's not just 8 months......for you it's a lifetime.

ChumpDumper
google is your friend, faildumpgoogle "just leave" Viva Las Esfailas.

SonOfAGun
07-24-2009, 02:37 PM
Why he should've welcomed the cop into his home, offered him tea, shined his shoes, and addressed him as Massah.

lol, I'm just giving Chump shit.

It was a stupid arrest of a stupid professor. Gates either had an agenda, or too big of an ego to just deal with the situation to get the police out of his castle.

Viva Las Espuelas
i'm merely showing that you have a pattern of bashing blacks at the drop of a hate........and it's not just 8 months......for you it's a lifetime.
so you're calling me racist then.

Viva Las Espuelas
chump, the fail well is full. stop adding to it.

boutons_deux
07-24-2009, 02:38 PM
Why didn't he tase the Smart Negro?

Gino
07-24-2009, 02:38 PM
Are you kidding me?

All that shit was long over. There were multiple cops there and no evidence of any burglary.

It was a stupid arrest.

As I descended the stairs to the sidewalk, Gates continued to yell at me, accusing me of racial bias and continued to tell me that I had not heard the last of him. Due to the tumultuous manner Gates had exhibited in his residence as well his as his continued tumultuous behavior outside the residence, in view of public, I warned Gates he was becoming disorderly. Gates ignored my warning and continued to yell which drew the attention of th police offices and citizens, who appeared surprised and alarmed by Gates' outburst. For a second time, I warned Gates to calm down while I withdrew my department issued handcuffs from their carrying case. Gates again ignored my warning and continued to yell at me. It was at this time that I informed Gates that he was under arrest.

Arrest him. Let him cool off. Give him a fine an move on. Happens everyday.

ChumpDumper
07-24-2009, 02:40 PM

Arrest him. Let him cool off. Give him a fine an move on. Happens everyday.Just leave. Let everyone cool off. Don't arrest or fine anybody. Move on. Happens every day.

clambake
so you're calling me racist then.

i'm calling you "extremely predictable".

Viva Las Espuelas
Why didn't he tase the Smart Negro?
he wasn't smart 'cause he didn't shut his mouth

ChumpDumper
07-24-2009, 02:41 PM
i'm calling you "extremely predictable".Right. Just predict what a racist might think.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-24-2009, 02:41 PM
i'm calling you "extremely predictable".

i should be when you follow me so close.

SonOfAGun
07-24-2009, 02:43 PM
Maybe not a "stupid" arrest but a needless one.

I could say the same of arresting a non-violent no-priors nobody small quantity marijuana possessor.

It's fine to say the cop acted "stupidly" but the next sentence better be, Gates acted "stupidly" as well. This cop should not have the nation's banhammer brought down on his ass by el presidente.

Gino
07-24-2009, 02:43 PM
Just leave. Let everyone cool off. Don't arrest or fine anybody. Move on. Happens every day.

Citizens screaming and making threats (You havent seen the last of me) to police officers investigating a burglary is disorderly.

Thats why they have laws against it.

Like I said, its a minor offense. You pay a fine, hopefully learn your lesson and move on. Youre SUPPOSE to cooperate with police officers for the good of the community. Regardless of who you are or what color your skin is.

clambake
07-24-2009, 02:44 PM
i should be when you follow me so close.

i just want to better understand the simple man.

ChumpDumper
07-24-2009, 02:46 PM
Citizens screaming and making threats (You havent seen the last of me) to police officers investigating a burglary is disorderly.

Thats why they have laws against it.You call that a threat?

No wonder you are such a bootlick. You scare easy.

You haven't given any good argument against just leaving. Once they leave, he's got no reason to scream or make such terrifying threats.

ChumpDumper
07-24-2009, 02:47 PM
Like I said, its a minor offense. You pay a fine, hopefully learn your lesson and move on. Youre SUPPOSE to cooperate with police officers for the good of the community.You've got to be kidding me.

He cooperated with their investigation.

Investigation over.

Just leave -- for the good of the community.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-24-2009, 02:50 PM
i just want to better understand the simple man.
ah, an elitist.

SonOfAGun
07-24-2009, 02:51 PM
It'd be a shame if robbers tried anything on Gate's home for a while, I don't think the local response time would be too swift. :lol

ChumpDumper
07-24-2009, 02:52 PM
It'd be a shame if robbers tried anything on Gate's home for a while, I don't think the local response time would be too swift. :lolYou think they would act unprofessionally out of retaliation.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-24-2009, 02:55 PM
You think they would act unprofessionally out of retaliation.
being that they acted professionally the first time

clambake
07-24-2009, 02:56 PM
ah, an elitist.

not at all. my studies and conclusions are for future generations.

ChumpDumper
07-24-2009, 02:57 PM
being that they acted professionally the first timeSo any future unprofessional action is justified in your mind.

MannyIsGod
07-24-2009, 02:57 PM
The cop's job was done.

Just leave.

:lmao

Viva Las Espuelas
07-24-2009, 03:10 PM
i see elementary humor has a base here.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-24-2009, 03:12 PM
So any future unprofessional action is justified in your mind.you made that statement. i just stated they acted professionally the first time. nothing more. nothing less.

fail away, faildump

ChumpDumper
07-24-2009, 03:13 PM
you made that statement. i just stated they acted professionally the first time. nothing more. nothing less.
fail awayI think the arresting officer's actions were questionable. I would have to hear what radios sound like in Gates' house to be sure, but that seems fishy to me. I'm sure a good lawyer could destroy that if something actually went to trial.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-24-2009, 03:33 PM
like i said if this was "fishy" why would he record it then arrest him outside? if i was a racist, which you and your cohort, clambake like hurling around, then i would've arrested him inside and falsified the police report. to sum it up. the cop acted professionally. the professor, not so much.

Winehole23
07-24-2009, 03:36 PM
the cop acted professionally. the professor, not so much.So then, LE may arrest us at will if we fail to use our good manners at home, when it investigates an erroneous complaint against us?

Marcus Bryant
07-24-2009, 03:38 PM
So then, LE may arrest us at will if we fail to use our good manners at home, when it investigates an erroneous complaint against us?

Exactly. It's amusing how the forum state apologists insist on proper decorum around agents of the state. I'm sure they feel the same way when they've spent an hour waiting in line at the DPS office...

sam1617
07-24-2009, 03:39 PM
So then, LE may arrest us at will if we fail to use our good manners at home, when it investigates an erroneous complaint against us?

Outside our home. It only applies outside our home, or if it gets loud enough inside to actually disturb the neighbors.

Its just not that hard to be polite to a cop, even if he is mistaken. Its called being a reasonable adult.

balli
07-24-2009, 03:39 PM
like i said if this was "fishy" why would he record it then arrest him outside? if i was a racist, which you and your cohort, clambake like hurling around, then i would've arrested him inside and falsified the police report. to sum it up. the cop acted professionally. the professor, not so much.

Whatever, that fucking power tripping cop put cuffs on somebody and hauled them off to jail without a charge; at least not one that held up for even 24 hours. That's not the definition of professionalism. I'm not sure if it makes him a racist, but it does make him an asshole who can't say no to his own sense of power, therefore, a bad cop. Par for the course.

sam1617
07-24-2009, 03:40 PM
Exactly. It's amusing how the forum state apologists insist on proper decorum around agents of the state. I'm sure they feel the same way when they've spent an hour waiting in line at the DPS office...

Is it acceptable to have a tantrum in the DPS office then? Sure, its fucking aggravating, but it still isn't worth having a hissy fit over.

ChumpDumper
07-24-2009, 03:40 PM
Outside our home. It only applies outside our home, or if it gets loud enough inside to actually disturb the neighbors.

Its just not that hard to be polite to a cop, even if he is mistaken. Its called being a reasonable adult.It's not that hard for a cop to just leave either. That would have been quite reasonable.

sam1617
07-24-2009, 03:42 PM
Whatever, that fucking power tripping cop put cuffs on somebody and hauled them off to jail without a charge; at least not one that held up for even 24 hours. That's not the definition of professionalism. I'm not sure if it makes him a racist, but it does make him an asshole who can't say no to his own sense of power, therefore, a bad cop. Par for the course.

Do you actually spend any time around cops? I really and truly fucking hate it when people say cops are bad. I will freely admit, that some cops are bad, bad men, and bad officers.

However, the vast majority of officers that I've dealt with are good cops and good men. And yes, I've met a few, both in the process of doing their duty, and just hanging out with them.

sam1617
07-24-2009, 03:43 PM
It's not that hard for a cop to just leave either. That would have been quite reasonable.

I agree. The cop wasn't the one breaking the law though. The more reasonable thing would have been for them to both be polite to each other. Mutual respect and all that.

balli
07-24-2009, 03:47 PM
However, the vast majority of officers that I've dealt with are good cops and good men.
Welp, the vast majority of officers I've dealt with have been fucking assholes.

Sure, I've met a flat-out great cop or two. I've dealt with a 10-15 who've treated me like a fucking dog, for no other reason than their own sense of entitlement. Fuck cops.

And why provoke a referendum on cops in general. I didn't initially say ALL cops were bad. I said this cop, who arrested somebody, out of their own home, without a charge, is a bad cop.

sam1617
07-24-2009, 03:49 PM

Sure, I've met a flat-out great cop or two. I've dealt with a 10-15 who've treated me like a fucking dog, for no other reason than their own sense of entitlement. Fuck cops.

Were you being a jackass to them at the time?

Viva Las Espuelas
07-24-2009, 03:50 PM
you get arrested when you don't follow what a cop tells you. especially when you are leaving the guy's residence.

balli
07-24-2009, 03:52 PM
Were you being a jackass to them at the time?

No. I've never spoken so much as a single disrespectful word towards an officer without being disrespected first. Never. But like I said, I'm not really interested in personal anecdotes. This is about a single cop in DC and his level of professionalism when confronting Gates.

sam1617
07-24-2009, 03:55 PM
No. I've never spoken so much as a single disrespectful word towards an officer without being disrespected first. Never. But like I said, I'm not really interested in personal anecdotes. This is about a single cop in DC and his level of professionalism when confronting Gates.

Cambridge, not DC. :)

But that really sucks then. I can understand why you would be negative about cops then.

Winehole23
07-24-2009, 03:59 PM
Its just not that hard to be polite to a cop, even if he is mistaken. Its called being a reasonable adult.Correct. It is also prudent and reasonable. But is it -- and should it be -- legally required?

Also, Cambridge PD could've used their own best discretion once they realized there was no crime in progress, and excused themselves promptly from Mr. Gates property without more ado. Just leave, and let the old fellow scream his head off until someone actually complained about the noise. There was no need to *continue the conversation outside*, except to give a pretext for arrest IMO.

Discretion is as important as the points of the law. In this case, both sides fail the test of discretion. Gates and the Cambridge PD handled it badly. Gates for being a dick when he didn't need to be, and Cambridge PD for making a needless arrest.

DarrinS
07-24-2009, 04:02 PM
This should never have taken up the president's time. Geeez.

Winehole23
07-24-2009, 04:03 PM
you get arrested when you don't follow what a cop tells you. especially when you are leaving the guy's residence.That's just it. Gates followed the cop outside. He didn't have to, despite your claim that we must do whatever LE suggests.

Gino
07-24-2009, 04:03 PM

And why provoke a referendum on cops in general. I didn't initially say ALL cops were bad. I said this cop, who arrested somebody, out of their own home, without a charge, is a bad cop.

My guess is if you dealt with 10-15 cops, youre pretty fucking worthless.

Based on your previous posts, I know I dont even have to guess.

sam1617
07-24-2009, 04:05 PM
Correct. It is also prudent and reasonable. But is it -- and should it be -- legally required?

An officers ability and authority is based off of a combination of respect and fear, if an officer loses that in the eyes of the people, his job gets a whole lot tougher.

With that all said, it isn't legally required to be polite, and it shouldn't be, but people should realize that they aren't dealing with automatons, cops are people, and people respond better to respect. Of course, it works both ways, the best cops are the ones that manage to balance respect and mercy, with the hardheartedness that justice requires. In other words, if we all acted nice like our mommy's taught us, life would be better.

Wild Cobra
07-24-2009, 04:06 PM
This should never have taken up the president's time. Geeez.
Shows just how much this president lacks common sense. Especially when he spouts off before knowing the facts.

I don't even think Carter was that dumb.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-24-2009, 04:06 PM
That's just it. Gates followed the cop outside. He didn't have to, despite your claim that we must do whatever LE suggests.

????? then what the hell are trying to get at. he did it on his own. the cop left his residence therefore professor jackass was off the hook. the cop had no more questions/business with him. he handled the initial call. professor jackass cooked his own goose. are you that dense?

Winehole23
07-24-2009, 04:11 PM
With that all said, it isn't legally required to be polite, and it shouldn't be, but people should realize that they aren't dealing with automatons, cops are people, and people respond better to respect.Turn it around. The citizens cops serve are people too, and respond equally well to politeness and respect.

clambake
07-24-2009, 04:12 PM
it was a stupid, power tripping cop decision.

Winehole23
07-24-2009, 04:13 PM
????? then what the hell are trying to get at. he did it on his own. the cop left his residence therefore professor jackass was off the hook. the cop had no more questions/business with him. he handled the initial call. professor jackass cooked his own goose. are you that dense?I'm not so sure we disagree about the factual scenario. My understanding was Dr Gates was asked to come outside. Is yours different?

Viva Las Espuelas
07-24-2009, 04:14 PM
I'm not so sure we disagree about the factual scenario. My understanding was Dr Gates was asked to come outside. Is yours different?
http://www.samefacts.com/archives/Police%20report%20on%20Gates%20arrest.PDF

sam1617
07-24-2009, 04:15 PM
I'm not so sure we disagree about the factual scenario. My understanding was Dr Gates was asked to come outside. Is yours different?

According to the police report, which admittedly, I'm going to be quoting from memory, the officer said that if Gates wanted to continue the conversation, he would have to come outside.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-24-2009, 04:15 PM
Turn it around. The citizens cops serve are people too, and respond equally well to politeness and respect.
simply treat people the way they treat you. i live by this and go about it quite nicely.

SonOfAGun
07-24-2009, 04:17 PM
You think they would act unprofessionally out of retaliation.

It's a possibility in the real world.

Hell, it's natural law. What comes around goes around. Applies to both sides, of course.

SonOfAGun
07-24-2009, 04:19 PM

The same denominator, you. :lol

doobs
07-24-2009, 04:19 PM
According to the police report, which admittedly, I'm going to be quoting from memory, the officer said that if Gates wanted to continue the conversation, he would have to come outside.

"I told Gates that I was leaving his residence and that if he had any other questions regarding the matter, I would speak with him outside the residence"

My italics.

ChumpDumper
07-24-2009, 04:33 PM
So he could have gotten in his car and just left.

Ok.

Gino
07-24-2009, 04:35 PM
Im thinking the posters in these threads are divided up into a few categories:

1) Normal people

2) The Obama apologists who will never admit that Obama screwed up (even if he will).

3) The degenerates like Balli who hate cops for always messing with them. The 21st century greasers. :lol

sam1617
07-24-2009, 04:36 PM
So he could have gotten in his car and just left.

Ok.

And Gates could have gone inside. We've been over all this already ;)

Lets all just admit that the situation could have been handled better by both men, and argue about something that hasn't been beaten to death.

balli
07-24-2009, 04:42 PM
3) The degenerates like Balli who hate cops for always messing with them. The 21st century greasers. :lol
Fail. My criminal record is 100% clean. The last ticket I got was for fucking jay-walking.

What's more despicable Gino? Getting traffic tickets, like I do? Or penetrating children, like you do? Fuckin' pedo.

sam1617
07-24-2009, 04:43 PM
The last ticket I got was for fucking jay-walking.

Thats talented, you managed to fuck a chick while walking across a street not in a cross walk?

Bravo!

:)

Gino
07-24-2009, 04:44 PM
Fail. My criminal record is 100% clean. The last ticket I got was for fucking jay-walking.

What's more despicable Gino? Getting traffic tickets like I do? Or penetrating children like you do?

I dont believe that Ponyboy. 10-15 run-ins with the fuzz does not equal a clean record.

You need to get your mind right and stay out of trouble. Lemme guess....youre a vato?

ChumpDumper
07-24-2009, 04:45 PM
And Gates could have gone inside. We've been over all this already ;)

Lets all just admit that the situation could have been handled better by both men, and argue about something that hasn't been beaten to death.Gates can't arrest or cuff or detain the officer. The officer should show more discretion.

clambake
07-24-2009, 04:45 PM
I dont believe that Ponyboy. 10-15 run-ins with the fuzz does not equal a clean record.

You need to get your mind right and stay out of trouble. Lemme guess....youre a vato?

lol bootlick

ChumpDumper
07-24-2009, 04:46 PM
Great, Gino racially profiling posters now.

Yonivore
07-24-2009, 04:46 PM
Gates can't arrest or cuff or detain the officer. The officer should show more discretion.
And, the officer could ensure Gates wasn't going to continue he unreasonable tirade after he got in his squad car and left. By the sounds of it, there was a chance of a continued disturbance if he hadn't arrested Gates.

Gino
07-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Great, Gino racially profiling posters now.

Maybe. :toast

ChumpDumper
07-24-2009, 04:48 PM
And, the officer could ensure Gates wasn't going to continue he unreasonable tirade after he got in his squad car and left. By the sounds of it, there was a chance of a continued disturbance if he hadn't arrested Gates.By the sounds of it, there would have been no further disturbance had they just left.

Gino
07-24-2009, 04:50 PM
The thing with Balli is every other word is an F-Bomb and he cant help but trying to act like an internet tough guy. He's a lot like DUNCANOwnesKobe, except DOK can at least claim immaturity for being only 18. Balli is 25, yet still acts like some pre-pubescent prick who needs to be trash-canned.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-24-2009, 04:52 PM
chump still failing.........hard

clambake
07-24-2009, 04:52 PM
when will balli learn to bow to the state?

Yonivore
07-24-2009, 04:53 PM
By the sounds of it, there would have been no further disturbance had they just left.
Can't wait for the tapes.

balli
07-24-2009, 04:55 PM
Gino, you're an idiot. A pedophile. And a racist. No, I'm not a "vato".

I'm a sweater, khaki and glasses wearing, upper middle-class whitey from the east bench of Salt Lake City, Utah.

The last time I dealt with a cop I really didn't like, I called them, in response to having my credit card burgled. The point being, you don't know shit about me, or the circumstances iunder which I've been in contact with law enforcement. I'd suggest you just quit while you're behind and keep your idiot mouth shut. Put a little boy's dick in it, if that'll help you.

clambake
07-24-2009, 04:56 PM
Can't wait for the tapes.

he's a black guy. you don't need tapes.

ChumpDumper
07-24-2009, 04:57 PM
chump still failing.........hardYou still haven't explained to me why the police had no choice but to arrest him.

DarrinS
07-24-2009, 04:57 PM
it was a stupid, power tripping cop decision.

I think two people were power tripping.

balli
07-24-2009, 05:00 PM
+1

The cop seems unprofessional to me. Gates sound's like a race-baiter.

clambake
07-24-2009, 05:00 PM

one had power to arrest...........and gates wasn't a white guy.

Gino
07-24-2009, 05:02 PM
Gino, you're an idiot. A pedophile. And a racist. No, I'm not a "vato".

I'm a sweater, khaki and glasses wearing, upper middle-class whitey from the east bench of Salt Lake City, Utah.

The last time I dealt with a cop I really didn't like, I called them, in response to having my credit card burgled. The point being, you don't know shit about me, or the circumstances iunder which I've been in contact with law enforcement. I'd suggest you just quit while you're behind and keep your idiot mouth shut. Put a little boy's dick in it, if that'll help you.

LOL! This guy gets all bent out of shape for me calling him a "Vato" and making judgements about his REAL run-ins with the cops (10-15 by his own account) yet hes continuing on with the "Pedo-smack".

Yeah, bro. That pedophile-smack is cool. You and DuncanOwnsKobe and Monos should join a club and think of what else is "funny".

Or just admit youre worthless.

Edit: First time Ive ever been called a "racist". Dont know where that came from.

Viva Las Espuelas
You still haven't explained to me why the police had no choice but to arrest him.
http://www.samefacts.com/archives/Police%20report%20on%20Gates%20arrest.PDF

balli
[balli] cant help but trying to act like an internet tough guy.

I would kick your ass in real life.

ChumpDumper
07-24-2009, 05:03 PM
http://www.samefacts.com/archives/Police%20report%20on%20Gates%20arrest.PDFRead it.

They were under no obligation to arrest him. You said it yourself.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-24-2009, 05:03 PM
Gates sound's like a race-baiter.

ya think?

Viva Las Espuelas
07-24-2009, 05:04 PM
Read it.

They were under no obligation to arrest him. You said it yourself.

you're a lost cause chump. fail already has plenty of friends.

Viva Las Espuelas
ignorance is a choice. don't make it a virtue.

balli
ya think?

Just making my view clear. I was harsh on the cop. Hadn't been to Gates.

clambake
07-24-2009, 05:05 PM
ignorance is a choice

ChumpDumper
07-24-2009, 05:07 PM
you're a lost cause chump. fail already has plenty of friends.Especially since you agreed that they were under no obligation to arrest him and could have just left.

Gino
07-24-2009, 05:07 PM
Private message from Balli:

You fucking shithead

How, or where, or why I've dealt with cops (mostly traffic offenses) is none of your fucking business. Especially if you're going to use that knowledge to make condemnations about my worth as a human being.

Fuck off and rot in hell, you ass-ignorant, pedophile, asshole. Everybody on ST thinks you're a moron. Many people openly hate you. So yeah, fuck off.

Como se dice "PonyBoy Curtis" en espanol?

Notice how he says "mostly" traffic offenses?

Gino
07-24-2009, 05:10 PM
Clam..Chump...although I disagree with you, Im glad there are people like you to argue with.

It takes someone like Balli to make you appreciate other normal people.

balli
07-24-2009, 05:18 PM
I don't know what you think calling me a criminal... and therefore Hispanic, is doing for you?

But dude... Fuck off. Rot in hell. You ignorant. Pedophile. Asshole.

clambake
07-24-2009, 05:20 PM
lighten up balli

didn't you say, just earlier, that you broke into a guys truck and stole his meth and 2500 bucks?

Gino
07-24-2009, 05:36 PM
lighten up balli

didn't you say, just earlier, that you broke into a guys truck and stole his meth and 2500 bucks?

:lol:lol:lol:lol

Gino
07-24-2009, 05:38 PM
I don't know what you think calling me a criminal... and therefore Hispanic, is doing for you?

But dude... Fuck off. Rot in hell. You ignorant. Pedophile. Asshole.

No..i called you a criminal because you said you had met 10-15 cops who were assholes.

The message under you name implied you might be hispanic. So a criminal hispanic would be a chollo or a vato.

ChumpDumper
07-24-2009, 05:41 PM
No..i called you a criminal because you said you had met 10-15 cops who were assholes.

The message under you name implied you might be hispanic. So a criminal hispanic would be a chollo or a vato.It's not Spanish.

If you are going to racially profile a poster, at least try to be accurate.

Spursmania
07-24-2009, 06:32 PM
Gates playing the race card...what's new?:lol

clambake
07-24-2009, 06:34 PM
Gates playing the race card...what's new?:lol

racism is not new. lol

balli
07-24-2009, 07:16 PM
lighten up balli

Good point, but at least I didn't smoke it. And actually wouldn't stealing drugs/drug money from a drug dealer be the antithesis of crime? I dunno, it's a grey area. Just call me Omar.

clambake
07-24-2009, 07:20 PM
And actually wouldn't stealing drugs/drug money from a drug dealer be the antithesis of crime? I dunno, it's a grey area.

i like the premise. a lesser dirty, dirty act.

Creepn
07-25-2009, 01:12 AM
If disorderly conduct was such a justified reason to arrest in this situation, then why did they drop the charges??

Creepn
07-25-2009, 01:16 AM
Good point, but at least I didn't smoke it. And actually wouldn't stealing drugs/drug money from a drug dealer be the antithesis of crime? I dunno, it's a grey area. Just call me Omar.

Haha Omar. Man I'd give you major props if you actually did make a living like Omar.

angrydude
07-25-2009, 03:24 AM
If disorderly conduct was such a justified reason to arrest in this situation, then why did they drop the charges??

Because the cops aren't the DA.

The cop didn't have to arrest him but was legally justified to do so even if it was unnecessary. But cops do that all the time, so, what else is new.

LnGrrrR
07-25-2009, 07:20 AM
Disorderly Conduct

Disorderly conduct is one of the most common offenses in the United States, and is often the result of unreasonable police officers giving someone a hard time until they lose their cool.
Disorderly conduct generally includes most kinds of unruly or disturbing behaviors, which acts to provoke a disturbance.
Disorderly conduct laws exist in every state, and are often used as a “catch-all” charge for minor offenses. It is important to note that disorderly conduct is a prosecutable offense, which can lead to fines, jail time (http://www.criminal-law-lawyer-source.com/tips/jail.html), and other punishments upon conviction.
Examples of Disorderly Conduct
Disorderly conduct offenses vary widely by state. Here are some of the most common acts that are considered disorderly conduct offenses:

Public drunkenness
Inciting a riot
disturbance of the peace
loitering in certain areas
fighting (http://www.criminal-law-lawyer-source.com/terms/fighting.html) / physical altercations
obstructing traffic
use of extremely obscene or abusive language
loud or unreasonable noise

Given the wide range of behaviors that could constitute disorderly conduct, a person may be arrested for this crime without proper cause. Virtually any socially offensive or disruptive conduct may be prosecuted as disorderly conduct.
Consequences of Disorderly Conduct
While disorderly conduct may seem like an insignificant charge at first, individuals with a disorderly conduct conviction (http://www.criminal-law-lawyer-source.com/terms/conviction.html) on their record may have a difficult time pursuing educational, career, and other opportunities in the future. In addition, a disorderly conduct conviction may influence the outcome of any subsequent bout with the law.
Disorderly conduct charges might be dropped after an arrest or may be prosecuted as misdemeanors (http://www.criminal-law-lawyer-source.com/terms/misdemeanor.html). In some more serious cases, disorderly conduct can be prosecuted as a felony, which may result in significant jail time.
A disorderly conduct conviction can bring significant punishment, including fines, community service, compulsory counseling, and jail time. A judge sentencing someone for disorderly conduct will often consider that person’s criminal history.
A first-time offender's disorderly conduct sentence is typically very light. This sentence may be even be suspended if certain conditions are met.

google is your friend, faildump

Wow. AMAZING Viva. You never fail to impress.

Of course, you made sure not to bold CERTAIN passages. I italicized and underlined them for you.

Way to read only what you wanted to read.

LnGrrrR
07-25-2009, 07:29 AM
I agree that this guy was stupid and should've been more polite. I don't agree with the idea that he should have been arrested, necessarily, for disagreeing/being a dick with the officer.

I find it strange that the officer would say that if he had further questions, to step outside, without warning him that, hey, if you DO step outside and continue being loud, I can arrest you for disorderly conduct.

Clandestino
07-25-2009, 07:39 AM
just read report.. fuck that cop... he just got pissed off for being called out. he needs to be suspended without pay for a few months.

ducks
07-25-2009, 10:19 AM
The cop acted stupidly.

the president with his degree from a the overrated colledge acted more stupidly

ducks
07-25-2009, 10:26 AM
it was a very power trip move for the president to get involved in this
he had NO FUCKING BUSINESS TO GET INVOLVED

ChumpDumper
07-25-2009, 11:35 AM
Wow. AMAZING Viva. You never fail to impress.

Of course, you made sure not to bold CERTAIN passages. I italicized and underlined them for you.

Way to read only what you wanted to read.Viva Las Esfailas didn't bother googling the actual Massachusetts statute and case law, otherwise he wold have found this. I posted this in the other thread, but if we are talking about actual matters of law here, it's worth repeating.

What is “disorderly conduct” anyway?

Here is the Massachusetts statute under which Gates was arrested, Mass. G. L. ch. 272, s. 53:

Common night walkers, common street walkers, both male and female, common railers and brawlers, persons who with offensive and disorderly acts or language accost or annoy persons of the opposite sex, lewd, wanton and lascivious persons in speech or behavior, idle and disorderly persons, disturbers of the peace, keepers of noisy and disorderly houses, and persons guilty of indecent exposure may be punished by imprisonment in a jail or house of correction for not more than six months, or by a fine of not more than two hundred dollars, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

Here is a recent gloss by a Massachusetts court (adopting Model Penal Code s. 250.2(a)):

A person is guilty of disorderly conduct if, with purpose to cause public inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, or recklessly creating a risk thereof, he: (a) engages in fighting or threatening, or in violent or tumultuous behavior.... ‘Public’ means affecting or likely to affect persons in a place to which the public or a substantial group has access; among the places included are highways, transport facilities, schools, prisons, apartment houses, places of business or amusement, or any neighborhood.

Massachusetts courts have rejected MPC s. 250.2(b) as a violation of free speech rights. So this provision is not part of Massachusetts law:

(b) makes unreasonable noise or offensively coarse utterance, gesture or display, or addresses abusive language to any person present.

And here are some squibs:

Arrest under Massachusetts “idle and disorderly person” statute was unlawful under Massachusetts law, where defendant was arrested for yelling, screaming, swearing and generally causing a disturbance but, though the yelling was undoubtedly loud enough to attract the attention of other guests in hotel, it did not rise to level of “riotous commotion” or “public nuisance.” U.S. v. Pasqualino, D.Mass.1991, 768 F.Supp. 13.

And –

Defendant who did not physically resist his arrest arising out of a domestic violence incident could not be convicted of disorderly conduct based solely on his loud and angry tirade, which included profanities, directed at police officers as he was being escorted to police cruiser, even if spectators gathered to watch defendant; defendant did not make any threats or engage in violence, and his speech did not constitute fighting words. Com. v. Mallahan (2008) 72 Mass.App.Ct. 1103, 889 N.E.2d 77, 2008 WL 2404550.

And –

Defendant's conduct, namely, flailing his arms and shouting at police, victim of recent assault, or both, after being told to leave area by police, did not amount to “violent or tumultuous behavior” within scope of disorderly conduct statute, absent any claim that defendant's protestations constituted threat of violence, or any evidence that defendant's flailing arms were anything but physical manifestation of his agitation or that noise and commotion caused by defendant's behavior was extreme. Com. v. Lopiano (2004) 805 N.E.2d 522, 60 Mass.App.Ct. 723.

Here is more from that case:

[Officer] Garrett asked the defendant to exit the vehicle. As the defendant was getting out of the car, he “kept saying no problem here, no problem here, everything is all set, no problem.” The police advised the defendant that he would be summonsed to court for assault and battery, that he was not to be arrested at Carins's [the alleged victim] request, and that he had to leave the motel parking lot. He began to walk away. [Officer] O’Connor testified: “He took a few steps from me, ten steps, turned around, began flailing his arms, yelling that I was violating his civil rights.” He was advised a second time to leave, and the defendant was “yelling at me, you're violating my civil rights, then he began yelling at Ms. Carins, why are you doing this to me, you'll never go through with this.” At that time, he was placed under arrest. It is not disputed that only the defendant's conduct after he left the car forms the basis of the disorderly conduct charge.

http://www.volokh.com/posts/1248465451.shtml

No wonder the charges were dropped.

ChumpDumper
07-25-2009, 11:39 AM
the president with his degree from a the overrated colledge acted more stupidlyNo, it was stupid the way he went about it, but not more stupid than an unnecessary arrest.

it was a very power trip move for the president to get involved in this
he had NO FUCKING BUSINESS TO GET INVOLVEDWhat power trip? He didn't arrest anyone. There was no exercise of power on the president's part, only an expression of opinion. You have a poor definition of power trip. According to your definition, you are now on a power trip and you have no fucking business being involved.

DarrinS
07-25-2009, 12:04 PM
Two men with big egos acted stupidly, but which one of them stereotyped the other?

ChumpDumper
07-25-2009, 12:05 PM
Which one of them put the other in jail?

No one here has defended Gates' characterization of Crowley.

DarrinS
07-25-2009, 12:10 PM
Which one of them put the other in jail?

No one here has defended Gates' characterization of Crowley.

I suppose if I devoted 30+ years of my life studying and teaching Afro-American studies, I might act like Gates too. If my whole world revolved around racial injustice, I'd probably be hypersensitive to any perceived racial injustice too.

What's really troubling is that Obama is apparently good friends with the guy. Gates' philosophy is very Rev. Wright-esque.

ChumpDumper
07-25-2009, 12:11 PM
I suppose if I devoted 30+ years of my life studying and teaching Afro-American studies, I might act like Gates too. If my whole world revolved around racial injustice, I'd probably be hypersensitive to any perceived racial injustice too.So what? That's no reason to be thrown in jail.

What's really troubling is that Obama is apparently good friends with the guy. Gates' philosophy is very Rev. Wright-esque.Troubling in what way? Be specific about your fears.