PDA

View Full Version : Andre Miller signs with Blazers

Mel_13
07-24-2009, 02:34 PM
Andre Miller has agreed to terms with the Portland Trail Blazers, agent Andy Miller has confirmed to the Daily News.

The deal is believed to be for two or three years with a starting salary higher than the mid-level exception of $5.8 million. Portland had $9 million in salary cap space meaning the Blazers did not have to do a sign-and-trade with the Sixers.

The Blazers turned their attention to Miller when they could not finalize a deal with David Lee of the New York Knicks. Negotiations with Miller picked up speed in the last 24 to 48 hours.

“I think this is a good deal,” Andy Miller said. “I think it is a great deal for the marketplace.”

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sixerville/Miller_signs_with_Portland.html

FireDavidStern
07-24-2009, 02:38 PM
yahoo also reporting
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AsqHUt.GZcK2ho91bI6deNu8vLYF?slug=mc-millerblazers072409&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

DPG21920
07-24-2009, 02:39 PM
If motivated that will be a nice addition and give them some size (Miller/Roy) in the back court. It was their biggest need in my opinion (with more rebounding upfront as a close second) and Miller fits very well.

Darkwaters
07-24-2009, 02:44 PM
Andre Miller is a very underrated player these days. I'm definitely a fan of the signing depending on the cash spent.

IronMexican
07-24-2009, 02:47 PM
Very good signing for Portland.

kbrury
07-24-2009, 02:47 PM
Blazers are going to be really good next year.

MaNu4Tres
07-24-2009, 02:48 PM
Instant improvement on paper, but on the court? Yes and No.

Andre Miller is going to take the ball out of Roy's hands more in half court sets a lot more than Blake ever did. Roy dominates the ball and creates off the dribble to score more than anything. Miller isn't complimentary to the way Roy plays because of Miller's poor shooting ability whenever Roy creates.

Although whenever Roy needs a play off, or is on the bench due to foul trouble or rest, that's where Miller will become an instant improvement being able to create off screen and roll opportunities and off the dribble.

Overall I like the signing, but it may be overrated due to Roy needing the ball and having Andre Miller take it out of his hands.

If I'm the opposition I'm all for Andre Miller taking away opportunities from Brandon Roy.

DPG21920
07-24-2009, 02:50 PM
I was wondering why Portland did not look here first? I know signing a vet at the SF position could have allowed them to move some players they have, but they have talent there. They were lacking talent at the PG position and Miller was the best on the market they could get, and for a reasonable price.

timvp
07-24-2009, 02:53 PM
Turkoglu or Millsap to Miller is a pretty big fall. And I don't think it's a good fit. The Blazers have been a very slow paced team under McMillan. If Miller doesn't play at a fast pace, his lack of shooting becomes apparent -- as does his below average, slow defense. He has also struggled at times playing with talented bigmen because he needs space in the paint to get his shot off.

The Blazers should ahve held onto their cap room to find a game-changer. Miller doesn't make them that much better at all.

DPG21920
07-24-2009, 02:54 PM
Certainly a better defender than this guy:

Pj28VvPsjHk
QR1kz_9XYdk&NR

MaNu4Tres
07-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Turkoglu or Millsap to Miller is a pretty big fall. And I don't think it's a good fit. The Blazers have been a very slow paced team under McMillan. If Miller doesn't play at a fast pace, his lack of shooting becomes apparent -- as does his below average, slow defense. He has also struggled at times playing with talented bigmen because he needs space in the paint to get his shot off.

The Blazers should ahve held onto their cap room to find a game-changer. Miller doesn't make them that much better at all.

I agree. This is an instant improvement on paper, but on the court not so much.

DPG21920
07-24-2009, 02:59 PM
Timvp, don't you agree that the Blazers needed a PG though? If so, who could they have gotten that is better than Miller or who would give up a "game changer" point guard?

Unless you think that Blake = Miller for the Blazers system/style. The Lakers are one of the few teams I have ever seen win recently with a very average point guard, but theirs had experience and is clutch. The Lakers also had the deepest front court which made up for it, the Blazers do not.

MaNu4Tres
07-24-2009, 03:06 PM
Timvp, don't you agree that the Blazers needed a PG though? If so, who could they have gotten that is better than Miller or who would give up a "game changer" point guard?

Unless you think that Blake = Miller for the Blazers system/style. The Lakers are one of the few teams I have ever seen win recently with a very average point guard, but theirs had experience and is clutch. The Lakers also had the deepest front court which made up for it, the Blazers do not.

Adding Miller a guard who can't shoot? To a team who has Brandon Roy ( a dominant ball handler in his own right) - in other words - Brandon Roy was the team's creator off screen and rolls and was the main penetrator ( creator off the dribble) not Blake.

Miller doesn't fit with the way Roy plays and Roy is their franchise.

Miller is best when he has the ball in his hands. He won't nearly as much with Roy there.

spursfan1000
07-24-2009, 03:06 PM
Great move by Portland.

They finally did a offseason move. Miller is a big upgrade over Blake. Blake will be good coming off the bench and provide scoring. Miller is 34 years old so they will need to make a playoff push this year.

timvp
07-24-2009, 03:10 PM
Timvp, don't you agree that the Blazers needed a PG though?They could use a better point guard but Miller isn't so much better than Blake that he's worth blowing the cap space. Especially if you consider that Roy has really been their point guard in halfcourt settings and in clutch situations. Miller off the ball is pretty much useless. At least Blake has range.

In a vacuum, Miller >>> Blake. On the Blazers, Miller just isn't a very good fit. He's still better than Blake but not by that much.

Hes an upgrade over Blake, and with all that youth, and outside shooting, they should be running.

As long as McMillan is the coach, the Blazers will walk the ball up the court. His teams have all been slow paced. Fitting Miller into a slow pace with bigs taking up space inside is a bad fit.

DPG21920
07-24-2009, 03:11 PM
Adding Miller a guard who can't shoot? To a team who has Brandon Roy ( a dominant ball handler in his own right) - in other words - Brandon Roy was the team's creator off screen and rolls and was the main penetrator ( creator off the dribble) not Blake.

Miller doesn't fit with the way Roy plays and Roy is their franchise.

Miller is best when he has the ball in his hands. He won't nearly as much with Roy there.

Saying he can't shoot is false. Is he the best scorer, no. Can he play, yes.

He is a significant upgrade over Blake. I think it will be Roy as the player with the ball out of his hands now, not Miller. I think it is a good idea to play Roy as a true SG and not a PG. I think Miller fits nicely with Roy and they can pick up the pace of their game now they have a better point guard. They have more options.

Mr. Body
07-24-2009, 03:12 PM
Agree with all above. Andre Miller saves Pritchard face, but he doesn't scream 'missing piece' to me. I'd stick with Blake if I were them, or unfist one of those young wings and trade for a player.

They'd do as well to have gotten Jarrett Jack back.

MaNu4Tres
07-24-2009, 03:13 PM
Saying he can't shoot is false. Is he the best scorer, no. Can he play, yes.

He is a significant upgrade over Blake. I think it will be Roy as the player with the ball out of his hands now, not Miller. I think it is a good idea to play Roy as a true SG and not a PG. I think Miller fits nicely with Roy and they can pick up the pace of their game now they have a better point guard. They have more options.

Miller has no range. It will be exposed. Roy is their point guard and needs the ball in his hands. Over-rated move. IMO

DPG21920
07-24-2009, 03:15 PM
Depending on the contract (if it is 7M or so per year) they can trade Miller and bring back something decent as well. Yes, Hedo/Millsap are better options overall, but the same logic with Miller you can use for Hedo. Hedo was a guy with the ball in his hands, how would he fit with Roy? Hedo had the ball in the clutch and if Roy is your franchise, why would you bring in a player that needs the ball in his hands?

DPG21920
07-24-2009, 03:16 PM
Miller has no range. It will be exposed. Roy is their point guard and needs the ball in his hands. Over-rated move. IMO

I think about it like Ginobili. Roy should be playing the Ginobili role, not the PG role all the time imo. Taking the ball out of Roy's hands and letting him be a true SG is a good thing I think.

You are correct saying Miller does not have range, but he does not shoot a lot of 3's. He is a pg that when he does score, it is primarily at the rim.

MaNu4Tres
07-24-2009, 03:16 PM
Hedo was a guy with the ball in his hands, how would he fit with Roy? Hedo had the ball in the clutch and if Roy is your franchise, why would you bring in a player that needs the ball in his hands?

Hedo can shoot from anywhere on the court. Miller can't shoot outside 17 feet. Huge difference.

timvp
07-24-2009, 03:19 PM
Hedo was a guy with the ball in his hands, how would he fit with Roy? Hedo had the ball in the clutch and if Roy is your franchise, why would you bring in a player that needs the ball in his hands?

Hedo and Miller are totally different players and fits. Hedo can make plays but he can also shoot the ball, play multiple positions, play good defense, thrive with or without the ball ... plus he's younger and not being signed during an upcoming decline in play.

You take the ball out of Miller's hands and he's a below average player. Hedo without the ball is still a threat and can help a team elsewhere.

DPG21920
07-24-2009, 03:20 PM
Hedo can shoot from anywhere on the court. Miller can't shoot outside 17 feet. Huge difference.

Point is, it seems that Portland was looking for guys that could handle the ball so they could take it out of Roy's hands and let him play his true position. Hedo is not doubt better than Miller, but that was not the main point.

timvp
07-24-2009, 03:21 PM
Taking the ball out of Roy's hands and letting him be a true SG is a good thing I think.

:lol A good thing for other teams. Roy in the pick-and-roll is deadly. The Spurs still haven't figured out how to guard the Roy/Aldridge pick-and-rolls.

I really hope they listen to your advice and move him off the ball. Give it to Miller as much as possible. Good ideas.

DPG21920
07-24-2009, 03:23 PM
Hedo and Miller are totally different players and fits. Hedo can make plays but he can also shoot the ball, play multiple positions, play good defense, thrive with or without the ball ... plus he's younger and not being signed during an upcoming decline in play.

You take the ball out of Miller's hands and he's a below average player. Hedo without the ball is still a threat and can help a team elsewhere.

True, but you are not paying Hedo that much money to take the ball out of his hands. He is still ok without the ball, but he is much more effective with it imo.

It was a little risky signing Miller, especially because his lack luster effort at times, but I think it accomplished their goal of finding a player/ball handler that can allow Roy to be a true SG and not have to initiate everything. Miller is much better at initiating an offense and getting to the rim than Blake. He is not a 3 point shooter, but he finishes around the basket at a very good clip.

MaNu4Tres
07-24-2009, 03:23 PM
:lol A good thing for other teams. Roy in the pick-and-roll is deadly. The Spurs still haven't figured out how to guard the Roy/Aldridge pick-and-rolls.

I really hope they listen to your advice and move him off the ball. Give it to Miller as much as possible. Good ideas.

:lol I agree. My point exactly but you explained it better.

DPG21920
07-24-2009, 03:25 PM

Twisting words. I did not say just let Roy stand there. I said the BLAZERS seem to be looking for players that can initiate offense (Hedo/Miller) so they can have more options.

They will not be taking shots from Roy and just because Miller is bringing the ball up, does not mean you cannot get Roy into the same p&r situations.

MaNu4Tres
07-24-2009, 03:27 PM
They will not be taking shots from Roy and just because Miller is bringing the ball up, does not mean you cannot get Roy into the same p&r situations.

But you do understand that when Roy has the ball in P&R situations that Miller will then be a spot up shooter correct? Something he is not good at. That is the point. Roy is their play-maker with or without Miller.

DPG21920
07-24-2009, 03:31 PM
But you do understand that when Roy has the ball in P&R situations that Miller will then be a spot up shooter correct? Something he is not good at. That is the point. Roy is their play-maker with or without Miller.

I think they are looking for him to get to the paint not stand at the 3 point line. But there definitely can be some spacing issues. I think it is a better fit than you are saying, but I can see some issues. Just seems like the Blazers were looking for an upgrade in ball handling over Blake and that would lead one to believe Roy would not initiate as much; don't know if that is a good or bad idea yet.

JamStone
07-24-2009, 03:31 PM
Thought this was the move they should have made to begin with. I didn't think Hedo would have been that great with them anyway. I think the Blazers probably do want to push the ball up a little bit more, and Miller will help with that. If both McMillan and Miller are smart, they will still run much of their offense through Brandon Roy. Miller has very little range on his jumper, but he can still hit a midrange jumper adequately and can back-down smaller opposing guards so he does offer some different things in place of long range shooting. Plus, Brandon Roy will still have the ball in his hands at the end of close games when it matters most. If it offers Roy some help and rest along the way during games and throughout the season, I think that's a plus even at the expense of not having Roy touch the ball every single possession. Plus, despite his age and decline, Miller is an upgrade defensively over Steve Blake. Smart teams that had the mismatch would and should exploit Steve Blake every single possession. Miller is not a beast defensively, but he will be an upgrade, and maybe even a significant one. It's not like the Blazers lack for outside shooting with Roy and Aldridge, Fernandez, and Outlaw. I like the move for the Blazers, even if it ultimately is the last gasp desperation move for Pritchard. I like it better than Hedo or Millsap.

JamStone
07-24-2009, 03:33 PM

There are counters to every play in basketball.

In that PNR situation, you have make sure Outlaw or Fernandez is on the strong side where the help defense would come so they are the kick-out. You plant Andre Miller on the weak side for a baseline midrange jumper, which he is capable of shooting and making. It's not like there aren't counters or designs McMillan can't come up with to make up for the fact that Andre Miller isn't a great three point shooter.

DPG21920
07-24-2009, 03:34 PM
Thought this was the move they should have made to begin with. I didn't think Hedo would have been that great with them anyway. I think the Blazers probably do want to push the ball up a little bit more, and Miller will help with that. If both McMillan and Miller are smart, they will still run much of their offense through Brandon Roy. Miller has very little range on his jumper, but he can still hit a midrange jumper adequately and can back-down smaller opposing guards so he does offer some different things in place of long range shooting. Plus, Brandon Roy will still have the ball in his hands at the end of close games when it matters most. If it offers Roy some help and rest along the way during games and throughout the season, I think that's a plus even at the expense of not having Roy touch the ball every single possession. Plus, despite his age and decline, Miller is an upgrade defensively over Steve Blake. Smart teams that had the mismatch would and should exploit Steve Blake every single possession. Miller is not a beast defensively, but he will be an upgrade, and maybe even a significant one. It's not like the Blazers lack for outside shooting with Roy and Aldridge, Fernandez, and Outlaw. I like the move for the Blazers, even if it ultimately is the last gasp desperation move for Pritchard. I like it better than Hedo or Millsap.

Pretty much this. There are definitely some holes (that have been mentioned) but from what it appears the Blazers were trying to accomplish, Miller seems to fit.

HarlemHeat37
07-24-2009, 03:35 PM
I also like it better than Turkoglu or Millsap, although it isn't a great signing or anything..Portland wasn't going to acquire anybody better than Miller for their team right now, there isn't anybody that would have fit..they also desperately wanted to use their cap space before everything else kicks in, so it makes sense..

Miller is better than Blake in every aspect other than shooting, so it's good IMO..it also looks like they'll be making a follow-up trade IMO, so we'll see how that turns out..

it doesn't hurt to add more size and leadership to a young team that has been considered soft by many..

at the end of the day, Portland's success now and in the future will depend on Oden..

Dunc n Dave
07-24-2009, 03:36 PM
I think this makes them better, although not by much. It allows Roy to conserve some energy. Roy can be just as effective as a spot up shooter or coming off screens from time to time as he can dribbling around and creating. He becomes kinda like Manu in that aspect. He plays off the ball can catch,pumpfake, and drive where he is a danger to score or pass.
When Miller sits, Roy moves over to PG. Miller will help Roy become a better scorer, which is what they need from him and Aldridge.

lil_penny
07-24-2009, 03:36 PM
This is the deal I have been wanting for.. wasn't much of a fan of the hedo or millsap attempts(both good players but didn't fit this team).. this is where we needed some leadership the most I believe.. blazers know what they are getting from miller.. and he's pretty durable also.

MaNu4Tres
07-24-2009, 03:37 PM
Pretty much this. There are definitely some holes (that have been mentioned) but from what it appears the Blazers were trying to accomplish, Miller seems to fit.

This is what message boards are for. To voice our own respective opinions. I understand where your coming from because obviously Miller is the better player than Blake. I just don't think he fits as good as some may believe.

timvp
07-24-2009, 03:40 PM
I said the BLAZERS seem to be looking for players that can initiate offense (Hedo/Miller) so they can have more options.

Millsap initiates offense?

Anyways, we'll see how this plays out. I don't think it's a very good fit and i doubt it improves the Blazers much beyond first round fodder. Miller is going to a system that will highlight his weaknesses. The Blazers know this and that is why he was about their 20th option this summer.

MaNu4Tres
07-24-2009, 03:43 PM
There are counters to every play in basketball.

In that PNR situation, you have make sure Outlaw or Fernandez is on the strong side where the help defense would come so they are the kick-out. You plant Andre Miller on the weak side for a baseline midrange jumper, which he is capable of shooting and making. It's not like there aren't counters or designs McMillan can't come up with to make up for the fact that Andre Miller isn't a great three point shooter.

That's not the point the point is Miller is what he is by having the ball in his hands in half court sets. He has lived up to his reputation from his early years in Cleveland by always being the main ball-handler/ creator on his team. In Portland Brandon Roy is their best weapon with the ball ( Even with the addition of Miller), therefore Miller won't be as effective.

If they try to make Miller effective by putting the ball in his hands, then your doing the opposition a favor by taking the ball out of Roy's hands which timvp mentioned earlier.

DPG21920
07-24-2009, 03:44 PM
If motivated that will be a nice addition and give them some size (Miller/Roy) in the back court. It was their biggest need in my opinion (with more rebounding upfront as a close second) and Miller fits very well.

Millsap initiates offense?

Anyways, we'll see how this plays out. I don't think it's a very good fit and i doubt it improves the Blazers much beyond first round fodder. Miller is going to a system that will highlight his weaknesses. The Blazers know this and that is why he was about their 20th option this summer.

Wow. How ridiculous. Obviously not. The Blazers have a few needs and they went after Hedo first. Millsap filled another need and they probably said that Millsap filling one of the major needs was the best value after Hedo. Then they went to Miller.

MaNu4Tres
07-24-2009, 03:45 PM
miller is going to a system that will highlight his weaknesses. The blazers know this and that is why he was about their 20th option this summer.

+1

HarlemHeat37
07-24-2009, 03:49 PM
The Blazers doesn't really have a "set system" though..they definitely play too slow, and McMillan has that kind of history, but it's not like they've had success with this current system, so I'm sure he'll be open for adjustments..

again, it depends on Oden..if he's healthy, he should be mobile enough to combine with Aldridge to give Portland an athletic frontcourt that can run..that would probably make McMillan quicken the pace of his team..if not, he'll probably be out, at least IMO..

Lars
07-24-2009, 03:51 PM
I dont like it.

Portland needs a shooting PG with an emphasis on defense who can move off the ball, while Roy dominates the ball. They should of gotten a younger guard who can grow with the team.

Miller is not a good shooter, not good on defense, and not young. Terrible acqusition in my opinion. He can set up the offense and penetrate, which is redundant because Roy can do both of those things better.

I guess he could be a veteran voice on a young team and help groom Blayless, but still doesnt make sense to me.

Dunc n Dave
07-24-2009, 03:54 PM
The Blazers doesn't really have a "set system" though..they definitely play too slow, and McMillan has that kind of history, but it's not like they've had success with this current system, so I'm sure he'll be open for adjustments..

again, it depends on Oden..if he's healthy, he should be mobile enough to combine with Aldridge to give Portland an athletic frontcourt that can run..that would probably make McMillan quicken the pace of his team..if not, he'll probably be out, at least IMO..

Would you try to play fast with Steve Blake running the show? I'd slow it down too. Now with Miller, they can speed things up and use those athletes they have like Roy/Aldridge/Batum/Outlaw/etc on the break.

KSeal
07-24-2009, 03:55 PM
I don't think KP really knows what the hell his team needs. First he goes after a SF, gets denied, then a PF, gets denied and not finally he gets what he should have been going after in the first place. But I'm not sure Miller is the right guy.

MaNu4Tres
07-24-2009, 04:03 PM
Would you try to play fast with Steve Blake running the show? I'd slow it down too. Now with Miller, they can speed things up and use those athletes they have like Roy/Aldridge/Batum/Outlaw/etc on the break.

Your playing with fire if you try to speed the game up. If you have noticed not one team that runs and guns has won a title in the past 18 years.

Running and gunning, picking up the pace ( ala Suns/ Mavs of mid 2000's) only leads to poor shots. Even though more shots are attempted. (Which becomes detrimental when they play teams who practice and preach efficiency offensively as they get more attempts due to the reckless style of fast paced play by the teams that run and gun).

McMillan is more of a Popovich style of coach where efficiency is prioritized offensively and has a big emphasis on defense. I doubt McMillan goes to the " run and gun" style just because they signed a new point guard.

DPG21920
07-24-2009, 04:04 PM
You can pick up the pace and not be a "run and gun" team. The Lakers are not the Suns, yet they play at an accelerated pace with the option to slow it down and they won a title and were the best offense in basketball.

Picking up the pace does not mean SSOL.

MaNu4Tres
07-24-2009, 04:07 PM
You can pick up the pace and not be a "run and gun" team. The Lakers are not the Suns, yet they play at an accelerated pace with the option to slow it down and they won a title and were the best offense in basketball.

Picking up the pace does not mean SSOL.

Lakers never forced the issue offensively by pushing it. The only time they pushed it was when they either a) blocked a shot b) deflected a pass in the passing lane defensively or c) got a steal. ( Which is what the Blazers do and any smart team does already, including the Spurs).

That style is entirely different than the style others are trying to say the Blazers will do with Miller now.

DPG21920
07-24-2009, 04:10 PM
Lakers never forced the issue offensively by pushing it. The only time they pushed it was when they either a) blocked a shot b) deflected a pass in the passing lane defensively or c) got a steal. ( Which is what the Blazers do and any smart team does already, including the Spurs).

That style is entirely different than the style others are trying to say the Blazers will do with Miller now.

What? You can see Phil all game telling his guys to push the ball up the court.

MaNu4Tres
07-24-2009, 04:15 PM
What? You can see Phil all game telling his guys to push the ball up the court.

When warranted yes. There's a fine line in pushing the ball up the court and saying a team "needs to run a fast paced game now with Andre Miller".

Lakers push the ball up the court to get into their sets quicker, which means they still are running a half court offense. The only times where they took quick shots was in transition from plays on the defensive end. That kind of style is totally different than what I understood by others saying " portland needs to run a fast paced game now with Andre Miller".

JamStone
07-24-2009, 04:42 PM
That's not the point

Then why did you say it was the point in that previous post?

But apparently now, it isn't the point.

the point is Miller is what he is by having the ball in his hands in half court sets. He has lived up to his reputation from his early years in Cleveland by always being the main ball-handler/ creator on his team. In Portland Brandon Roy is their best weapon with the ball ( Even with the addition of Miller), therefore Miller won't be as effective.

You act as if Miller hasn't been playing with a versatile, playmaking shooting guard/small forward for the last 2 1/2 seasons. Iguodala is similar to Roy in that he's a wing player with point guard abilities. Iguodala was still able to average over 5 assists a game playing next to Miller, sharing play making abilities. Miller was still effective. Both Roy and Aldridge are both athletic enough to run in a more uptempo style, and the young Blazers like Fernandez, Bayless, Outlaw, Batum certainly are as well.

Will Miller be perfect in half court sets? No, but he doesn't need to be perfect. He needs to be able to make good decisions and hit an open midrange jumper, something he's capable of. Plus, again, while he's not a great long range jump shooter, he can offer other things like posting up smaller guards and making good passes on back-door cuts and alley-oops. Some of you are under the impression Andre Miller can do absolutely nothing in a half court set. That's exaggerating quite a bit. He's been in the league for quite a while. He's faced defenses that have forced his teams to run half court sets. He wouldn't still be in the league at his age if he was completely incapable of running a half court set.

If they try to make Miller effective by putting the ball in his hands, then your doing the opposition a favor by taking the ball out of Roy's hands which timvp mentioned earlier.

They will share the responsibility of play making. To think it isn't helpful for Brandon Roy to have another playmaker alongside him, especially to help when he's out of the game, is naive. There were a lot of times last year, Nate McMillan cut Roy's break short because the team was falling apart. Having Miller helps him there. You don't have to take the ball out of Roy's hands for Miller to play well. You just allow Roy to not have to be the complete focal point of the offense like 95% of the time. That is a good thing.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-24-2009, 04:47 PM

True, they felt getting a better offensive PG was so important but with Roy it really isn't. Their ideal PG should be a role player who can read defenses well, plays great defense, and is a good spot up shooter.

Their main concern should be low post scoring and better defense.

baseline bum
07-24-2009, 04:48 PM
Andre Miller is a great player if he's on a team with no expectations like Cleveland or Philly. When he had a good supporting cast (Brand / Maggette / QRich) he was worthless. He wasn't anything special in Denver neither.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-24-2009, 04:49 PM
Andre Miller is a great player if he's on a team with no expectations like Cleveland or Philly. When he had a good supporting cast (Brand / Maggette / QRich) he was worthless. He wasn't anything special in Denver neither.

I didn't even think about that.

JamStone
07-24-2009, 04:52 PM
Is Andre Miller an upgrade over Steve Blake? I believe the answer is yes.

Does Andre Miller bring some veteran experience to a young team (something they needed)? Yes.

Does he take some pressure off of Brandon Roy as the only true playmaker? Yes.

Is $7 million a year a reasonable salary for a starting point guard? Yes.

You can criticize Andre's Miller game, his lack of range on his jumper, his age, his fit to the Blazers. But, the answers to those above four questions are the reason why Andre Miller is a good pick-up for the Blazers.

MaNu4Tres
07-24-2009, 04:52 PM
Andre Miller is a great player if he's on a team with no expectations like Cleveland or Philly. He wasn't anything special in Denver neither.

I wonder why?

JamStone
07-24-2009, 04:53 PM

When the best example to prove a point deals with a player not being able to make the LA Clippers better, pretty much throw out that point.

HarlemHeat37
07-24-2009, 04:59 PM
LOL @ throwing in "Brand, Maggette, QRich"..is that supposed to be an example of a great supporting cast?..Elton, sure, but Maggette and Richardson?!..

Portland was LAST in the NBA in pace, that's how slow they've played..they don't have to become the Suns, like others here have said..if they can get the pace to the middle of the pack, then that's definitely good enough..

DPG21920
07-24-2009, 05:04 PM
People are acting like Miller is supposed to be CP3. He has his flaws. He is not a perfect fit for the Blazers, but he is a good fit imo and fills a need. Hedo would not have been perfect and neither would Millsap.

For the price they paid (I think someone said it was 3 years 22M with a TO in the 3rd year) that is a pretty low risk deal that can help a playoff team elevate. I don't think anyone thinks this makes the Blazers the team to beat, but it makes them better.

MaNu4Tres
07-24-2009, 05:12 PM
People are acting like Miller is supposed to be CP3.

No we just don't think he fits with how ball dominant and damn good Brandon Roy is.

Hedo would not have been perfect and neither would Millsap.
It's hard to put together a type of player that would be a perfect fit. But Turkoglu can play off players and still be effective. ( Can hit the spot up jumper from anywhere on the court.) Therefore Hedo would have fit a lot better than Miller. *Hence theres a reason why Portland went after several players including Hedo first and foremost over Milller as timvp stated earlier).

For the price they paid (I think someone said it was 3 years 22M with a TO in the 3rd year) that is a pretty low risk deal that can help a playoff team elevate.

For the price I like this signing. So I agree with that. I just don't agree that his skill-set fits with having Brandon Roy handling the ball. ( Which is and was and still is Portlands most effective weapon offensively). Like I've said a thousand times in this thread, if McMillan takes the ball from Roy in favor of Miller to create then the Blazers are doing the opposition a favor.

DPG21920
07-24-2009, 05:19 PM
No we just don't think he fits with how ball dominant and damn good Brandon Roy is.

That is your opinion and we just have to see how it works out. So are you trying to say that he will kill Roy's game? That a player like Miller cannot play with a versatile guy like a Roy and be effective? He did it with Iggy and Rondo does it with Pierce (even though Pierce is a SF, he still handles the ball)

It's hard to put together a type of player that would be a perfect fit. But Turkoglu can play off players and still be effective. ( Can hit the spot up jumper from anywhere on the court.) Therefore Hedo would have fit a lot better than Miller. *Hence theres a reason why Portland went after several players including Hedo first and foremost over Milller as timvp stated earlier).

That is the point. You keep pointing out only the flaws while ignoring the good the Miller brings. Who knows what will show up more? But Miller is a solid pg and upgrade over what they had.

No one is saying that Miller is better than Hedo or Millsap as players right now (but some say those two would not have fit as well as Miller as well...), which is why Miller was the third option in FA. But teams sometimes walk a serendipitous path and missing out on an aging Hedo with a massive 5 year contract could be a good thing.

For the price I like this signing. So I agree with that. I just don't agree that his skill-set fits with having Brandon Roy handling the ball. ( Which is and was and still is Portlands most effective weapon offensively). Like I've said a thousand times in this thread, if McMillan takes the ball from Roy in favor of Miller to create then the Blazers are doing the opposition a favor.

You are looking at it too cut and dry. If they have another creator and can relieve pressure from Roy and add more talent, they are getting better and more versatile. I fail to see how that is doing other teams a favor. Roy will get it when it counts.

tlongII
07-24-2009, 05:24 PM
+1

They could easily package Blake, or Bayless with Outlaw, or Webster for another big man. That front line is hurting.

:lol That's some funny shit there! We have the best front line in the league. No question.

DPG21920
07-24-2009, 05:24 PM
Not to mention Hedo really has had only 1 really good year and 1 good playoff run and he is 30 years old.

Hedo, for being a shooter, is a career 43% player and he shot only 41% last year.

tlongII
07-24-2009, 05:26 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about Miller. He can penetrate and dish better than our current 1's, but he can't hit the 3. Should be interesting...

We can still beat anybody else in the league though.

Gino
07-24-2009, 05:27 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about Miller. He can penetrate and dish better than our current 1's, but he can't hit the 3. Should be interesting...

We can still beat anybody else in the league though.

How do you feel about AI? I was talking to a buddy today and I was thinking Portland seemed to be the only place that would really make sense for him.

Do the Blazers have any interest?

mountainballer
07-24-2009, 05:28 PM
don't understand why they couldn't get the often rumored trade for Kirk Hinrich done. Hinrich was bad last year, but he could be a very good fit alongside Roy and might have been able to restart his career.

montgod
07-24-2009, 05:28 PM
Nice addition and at a cheap rate. Wow... contract starting at the MLE. This won't have the same effect as the Nuggets getting Billups, but will still be an upgrade to what they currently have without having to trade Bayless away. As others have already said, the only downside is that Miller can't spread the floor in shooting the three. Will be another interesting battle in the West next year with the Lakers, Spurs, Blazers, Mavericks, and Nuggets.

montgod
07-24-2009, 05:29 PM
don't understand why they couldn't get the often rumored trade for Kirk Hinrich done. Hinrich was bad last year, but he could be a very good fit alongside Roy and might have been able to restart his career.

I honestly don't think the Bulls wanted to trade Hinrich with Gordon gone. Besides, their cap room is suppose to be just fine and weren't pressed to make any drastic moves like Utah will need to do.

montgod
07-24-2009, 05:31 PM
How do you feel about AI? I was talking to a buddy today and I was thinking Portland seemed to be the only place that would really make sense for him.

Do the Blazers have any interest?

I doubt it. Didn't you hear? AI doesn't do the bench thing. Besides that, Roy is the starter and they don't want anyone conflicting with the mindset that he is the man at the 2 especially when they are trying to re-sign him.

AI would best fit with the Bobcats since their 2 spot is pretty vacant with Bell as the starter. Everywhere else is a question mark.

tlongII
07-24-2009, 05:34 PM

Chicago insisted that we give up Bayless. We're not going to do that.

MaNu4Tres
07-24-2009, 05:49 PM
Not to mention Hedo really has had only 1 really good year and 1 good playoff run and he is 30 years old.

Hedo, for being a shooter, is a career 43% player and he shot only 41% last year.

A 39 percent 3 point shooter ( Hedo) is a huge difference than a 21 percent 3 point shooter. (Andre Miller)

DPG21920
07-24-2009, 05:52 PM
Didn't Andre shoot much better from the field and have much better playoff efficiency rating than Hedo as well?

Yes, Hedo is a better 3 point shooter, but a worse finisher at the rim.

turiaf for president
07-24-2009, 05:53 PM
Chicago insisted that we give up Bayless. We're not going to do that.

bayless can only hope to be what hinrich is right now. another case of an overvalued player from the blazers FO, along with its delusional fans

rjv
07-24-2009, 05:56 PM
he will steady the team and make them better. they should be the 4th or 5th best team in the west

KSeal
07-24-2009, 06:01 PM
I'm just happy the Blazers were stupid enough to not being willing to trade Bayless to get Hinrich. Portland getting Hinrich would have been an amazing move for them imo. Definitely would have made their summer legit but even now getting Miller it was still a failure.

HarlemHeat37
07-24-2009, 06:03 PM
Hinrich would be an "amazing" move, but Miller makes it a failure LOL..

Hinrich is pretty much the exact same player as Blake, except better defensively..he wouldn't be worth giving up Bayless at all..

KSeal
07-24-2009, 06:08 PM
Exactly, Hinrich is younger, way better defender and can shoot the three. Bayless.. lmao. They should have given that guy up in a second if it got them Hinrich.

DPG21920
07-24-2009, 06:09 PM
Nothing else can really be said at this point. He is certainly an upgrade over Blake and there are some questions about how he fits. It appears the Blazers were after another ball handler and initiator and they got that for a reasonable price in Miller. Just have to see how it plays out.

HarlemHeat37
07-24-2009, 06:10 PM
Hinrich isn't better than Miller, not even close..he might be a better fit for Portland, sure, but not at the price of giving up Bayless, when they picked up Miller at a reasonable price..I'd understand if he was overpaid, but he isn't, it's a good price..

Andre Miller for the MLE>>Hinrich+his salary for a few years+losing Bayless..

KSeal
07-24-2009, 06:14 PM
Hinrich isn't better than Miller, not even close..he might be a better fit for Portland, sure, but not at the price of giving up Bayless, when they picked up Miller at a reasonable price..I'd understand if he was overpaid, but he isn't, it's a good price..

It is about fit, is it not? Hinrich fits in with them much better then Miller imo and when that young Blazer team starts to really come into its own Hinrich won't be a grampa like Miller will be. You obviously disagree but I would have given up Bayless and someone else to get Hinrich for a couple more mill a year, no question.

tlongII
07-24-2009, 06:25 PM
We want to win NOW and that's why we signed Miller. We're going after it.

BUMP
07-24-2009, 06:27 PM
i think they ought to cancel the season and just give Portland the Larry O'brien

Ghazi
07-24-2009, 06:28 PM
"Miller wouldn't help us, he can't hit the three"

Culburn369
07-24-2009, 06:36 PM

Jeez, and the Lakers ain't even in town! That'll be new territory for your Blazers, tlong= actually "going after it" on the nites they don't play the Lakers.

Just shows to go ya.

Spurtacus
07-24-2009, 07:42 PM
Should have gone after Hinrich or David Lee.

tlongII
07-24-2009, 08:48 PM
http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.php?sid=113630785810&h=3hhWD&u=RI49S&ref=nf

The Portland Trail Blazers have signed free agent guard Andre Miller to a multi-year contract, it was announced today by General Manager Kevin Pritchard. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

“We are excited to add a player of the caliber and character of Andre Miller,” said Pritchard. “He is one of the league’s ironmen who brings a wealth of veteran leadership to our team and is a great fit for our young and improving roster.”

Miller (6-2, 205, Utah) holds career averages of 14.6 points, 4.2 rebounds, 7.4 assists and 1.38 steals in 815 games (768 starts) during his 10 NBA seasons with Cleveland, L.A. Clippers, Denver and Philadelphia.

“I'm really excited for this opportunity with the Trail Blazers and look forward to working with my new team,” said Miller. “I hope to provide veteran leadership to a young talented nucleus and help Portland take the next step in the pursuit of a championship.”

Originally selected by the Cleveland Cavaliers with the eighth overall pick in the 1999 NBA Draft, Miller is tied for the 16th highest assists average (7.4) in NBA history and is currently fourth among active players. He has also played in 530 consecutive games, the longest active streak in the NBA. Miller has missed just three games in his career.

Miller, 33, has 174 career double-doubles and averaged one for Cleveland in 2001-02 (16.5 ppg, 10.9 apg) while leading the NBA in assists that season.

During the 2008-09 season, Miller averaged 16.3 points, 4.5 rebounds, 6.5 assists, 1.33 steals and shot 47.3 percent from the floor in 82 games (all starts). He ranked 14th in the NBA in assists, 15th in assist-to-turnover ratio (2.68) and tied for 15th in steals. Miller recorded 12 double-doubles last season, including two triple-doubles.

Miller averaged 21.2 points, 6.3 rebounds, 5.3 assists and 1.17 steals in the 2009 NBA Playoffs. He has career postseason averages of 17.0 points, 4.7 rebounds, 4.8 assists and 1.30 steals in 27 games (all starts).

Banzai
07-24-2009, 09:36 PM

What is "it" exactly?

MaNu4Tres
07-24-2009, 09:38 PM
What is "it" exactly?

The second round.

iggypop123
07-24-2009, 09:38 PM

going for what? a second round parade

tlongII
07-24-2009, 09:39 PM
What is "it" exactly?

Larry O'Brien Trophy

Banzai
07-24-2009, 09:40 PM
Larry O'Brien Trophy

Should have just put that before.

tlongII
07-24-2009, 09:42 PM
Keep it shiny for us. You won't have it for long.

Culburn369
07-25-2009, 09:24 AM
Hollinger with rare lucid moments here.

---------

Updated: July 25, 2009, 12:21 AM ET
Miller deal a bargain for Blazers

http://a.espncdn.com/i/columnists/Hollinger_John_35.jpg (http://search.espn.go.com/john-hollinger/) By John Hollinger
ESPN.com

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0724/nba_g_miller1_sw_576.jpg

Miller will battle Steve Blake for the starting point guard position in Portland.
I didn't like Andre Miller (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=557) going to the Blazers if it was going to cost them $40 million.
At $14 million guaranteed? At that price, I can talk myself into it.
Miller's three-year, $21 million deal -- which includes a team option for a third year that's part of a growing trend I'll discuss in a moment -- is unusually good value for an unrestricted free agent, especially a veteran point guard with a consistent track record who never, ever misses games.
Put another way, Miller's deal pales beside the one Dallas signed with Jason Kidd (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=429), even though Miller is younger and had a better year last year.
Sure, there are some ways this doesn't exactly fit. Miller does a lot of damage in the post, and the Blazers already have a couple of players (Greg Oden (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3225), LaMarcus Aldridge (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=2983)) occupying those slots fairly regularly. He's also an up-tempo guard on what was the league's second-slowest-paced team last season, and his inability to make 3s is an odd fit with the Blazers' habit of spacing the floor with shooters around Brandon Roy (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3027).
But at some point, it became the only sensible move left on the chessboard. Portland had a limited pool of realistic candidates to pursue -- the Knicks were going to match David Lee (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=2772) and no sign-and-trade could be concocted to please all sides, and the only other halfway decent unrestricted free agent, Lamar Odom (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=617), seems sealed to the Lakers despite their public standoff. Meanwhile, the dip in quality in the unrestricted pool after Miller and Odom is staggering.
The only legitimate alternative was to make a run at Milwaukee's restricted free agent Ramon Sessions (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3231), but again the Blazers were risking the offer's being matched -- much as Utah did with Paul Millsap (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3015) earlier this summer. That cost the Blazers a week, and if they had lost another week, there might not have been any players left worth signing with their $7.7 million in cap space.
The Blazers could have made a trade into their cap space, as well, but they would have been taking on another team's trash and it likely would have cost a player on their end -- the most realistic proposal out there would have swapped Travis Outlaw (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=2015) for Kirk Hinrich (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1981), and compared with that, getting Miller for free looks like a much better alternative.
"We wanted to keep this team together and just add to it," said Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=2710) in Friday's conference call with reporters.
Two interesting nuggets emerged from the call with Pritchard and Miller: First, the Blazers haven't guaranteed him the starting job. Miller and Steve Blake (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1994) will compete for it in training camp, and although everyone expects Miller to prevail, he might not play more than 30 minutes a night.
Second, the Blazers want to play more up-tempo. We'll see how this plays out in the regular season, obviously, given that "We're going to run and press more" is right up there with "He has added 15 pounds of muscle" on the training camp cliché list.
But it's something we've heard hints of since Portland lost to Houston in the first round of the playoffs, and Pritchard brought it up again when I asked about Miller's tendency to push it up. "One or our keys is getting easier buckets," Pritchard said. "We can become better if we can get easier buckets in transition, and Nate [McMillan] and I talked about that quite a bit."
Meanwhile, it helps that Miller wanted to come. Pritchard told reporters in a conference call that Miller blew him away at a dinner in Las Vegas with McMillan because of his knowledge of the team and how he could find easier shots for the players (Apparently, the meeting was more memorable than the meal for Miller, who said it was "some Italian place" and he had "some kind of frittata").
"We went through all our options," Pritchard said. "Once Nate and I went to dinner, it was all about feel. He knew how to play with our team. He knew how to get us extra possessions. He knew his throw-ahead pass would be even more effective with LaMarcus and Greg and [Nicolas (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3416)] Batum (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3416)."
Pritchard said the Blazers were pretty much done making moves, although he spurred a raised eyebrow by making a point about several veterans not having guarantees and being waived in the near future. One of those is former Spurs defensive ace Bruce Bowen (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=83), who might be cut by Milwaukee in the next seven day because his deal becomes fully guaranteed Aug. 1; one wonders whether Pritchard -- who came through the San Antonio pipeline -- would have his eye on the veteran stopper if he became available.
Meanwhile, there's an interesting part of this deal that has been a piece of several signings this summer, and it's not getting nearly enough attention -- the use of a nonguaranteed portion of the contract or, as one GM calls it, "Confederate money."
The Spurs did this with Antonio McDyess (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=530)' deal, for instance, and the Cavs did it with Anderson Varejao (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=2419)'s. It's a great trick for a team that's already over the cap because, at the end of the contract, it allows the team to trade a veteran player for another one making the same amount of money as long as it can find a partner looking to cut costs; the partner then waives the player with the nonguaranteed deal and wipes the salary from its books. This would be impossible to do if his contract merely expired because that would make the player a free agent.
And if you think about it, it allows these teams to circumvent the cap. We've already seen teams doing it increasingly with year-end contacts that have a nonguaranteed second year added on (the Nuggets, for instance, acquired both J.R. Smith (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=2444) and Renaldo Balkman (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=2986) this way, after signing bit players in late spring and "trading" them to make the cap dollars work; their new teams immediately cut them), and now we're seeing it more with big-name players too.
I bring this up because Miller's third year isn't guaranteed. We don't know the language yet on the guarantee, but if it's a late guarantee date -- say, Sept. 1 -- the Blazers would be able to dangle him the whole summer in 2011 if his performance isn't up to snuff and get another player who makes his salary. They'd be over the cap otherwise (assuming extensions for Roy and Aldridge) and couldn't do that, but this little trick lets them sidestep that problem.
It flies in the face of our logic a bit because for years the assumption has been that guaranteed contracts are one of the worst things about the NBA and make it hard for teams to manage salaries responsibly. But we've seen in the past couple of years that nonguaranteed years at the end of those deals actually can be worse -- encouraging contending teams to spend more than they otherwise might have.
Those are the rules right now, though, and the Blazers took advantage of them. They only have to commit to Miller for two years, and if they want to move on, his contact will be easily tradable for somebody else making a similar salary. It's one of many ways their risk on this deal wasn't nearly as great as on, say, the deal they thought about with Hedo Turkoglu (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=862) earlier this summer. And it's why Miller, even if less than an ideal fit, was about the only sensible move once his price dropped so low.
John Hollinger writes for ESPN Insider. To e-mail him, click here (http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/mailbagESPN?event_id=7936).

duncan228
07-25-2009, 02:47 PM
Andre Miller as a Trail Blazer (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Andre-Miller-as-a-Trail-Blazer;_ylt=Ap8UdD60QcMj0D3xX.j0zyi8vLYF?urn=nba,1 78657)
By Kelly Dwyer
Ball Don't Lie

This seems to be quite fair, in all respects.

33-year old Andre Miller, stuck in "Knicks are my only option" limbo for nearly a month, has apparently decided to sign with the Portland Trail Blazers. The very young, Portland Trail Blazers.

If that news alone leaves you a little iffy, I can understand. You want your players to be on the same page, age-wise. You don't want to have guys in their prime's prime wasted playing with youngsters who are still too far away to consistently contribute at their best, or on the other side, well-heeled veterans who just can't cut it anymore.

But look at the terms, as Yahoo! Sports' Marc Spears reports them (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AhPq.l9Nbjq5c7chLTmmTqS8vLYF?slug=mc-millerblazers072409&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)— three years, $22 million, with the third year coming as a team option.

Perfect.

There's nobody else out there, save for Ramon Sessions (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Ramon-Sessions-Milwaukee-or-New-York-or-neither?urn=nba,178567), and it's likely that he's not going to sign for a two or three year deal. There's even a chance any Sessions contract gets matched by the Milwaukee Bucks, as Sessions is an unrestricted free agent.

Miller, at this point, is a better player. Sessions could vault ahead of Miller sometime next season, with point guards in their early-to-mid 30s you always run the risk of a one-way ticket to dogtown, without any warning. But at this point, and at these terms, this is a sound deal.

The Blazers need an upgrade on Steve Blake, and though Miller has the same defensive deficiencies as the incumbent Portland point guard, he contributes at a far greater rate in every area save for outside shooting. And the Blazers, first in offensive efficiency last season, have that area more or less covered. It's not their specialty, but as youngsters Roy will improve from the outside, Nicholas Batum will improve from the outside, and Martell Webster could be returning to fire away this fall.

So Miller takes away Blake's outside shooting, for a stretch. He also scores better, passes better, doesn't turn it over (both Miller and Blake are tremendous assist-to-turnover types), and is one of the best lob tossers of the last 20 years. Because I'm a blogger, I think the lob was created in 1989.

And if Miller falls off a cliff? Then you have Steve Blake, in his prime. You have Sergio Rodriguez, at least for now. Forgot Sergio was traded with cash and Brockman to the Kings for Jeff Pendergraph. You have Jerryd Bayless, who was ruddy awful in his rookie year, but that could turn around. Or they can just trade him with cash to the Kings.

And you only have Miller for two years, at a price just above market average, while your young team moves closer to its prime.

For Miller? He's not going to get another staunch contract like this in his career, even if he shines through all three years. But this is fair. He's made plenty of money, a good rookie deal followed by a big free agent deal with Denver, followed by this. And, to be fair, he coasted at times during his contract year. Teams obviously noticed.

But they also noticed over 16 points, 6.5 assists, and 4.5 rebounds last season. Even if that drops a bit in 2009-10 (coach Nate McMillan likes to slow things down, so even if Miller's per-game averages drop, it doesn't mean he's playing worse), it's still sound production to have.

Fine deal, for both ends.

mojorizen7
07-25-2009, 04:58 PM
Portland also called PHX about aquiring Nash in exchange for some young talent and Kerr promptly turned them down, citing stupidity and love for mediocrity as the reason.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-25-2009, 04:59 PM
Portland also called PHX about aquiring Nash in exchange for some young talent and Kerr promptly turned them down, citing stupidity and love for mediocrity as the reason.

To Kerr's defense, it's more like citing "The fan bases love for mediocrity" as the reason. If Kerr himself had complete control he woulda blown it up.

mojorizen7
07-25-2009, 05:08 PM
To Kerr's defense, it's more like citing "The fan bases love for mediocrity" as the reason. If Kerr himself had complete control he woulda blown it up.

Based on his comments upon being hired I would agree. He's completely done a 180 since. The Nash "face of the franchise" factor, and the almight $$ have definately contributed to Kerr deciding that playing zero defense is acceptable.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-25-2009, 05:14 PM
Based on his comments upon being hired I would agree. He's completely done a 180 since. The Nash "face of the franchise" factor, and the almight $$ have definately contributed to Kerr deciding that playing zero defense is acceptable.

It's a shame cause I think he would be a good GM if he wasn't under pressure to let Nash grab his nutsack and twist it in any direction Nash chooses.

mojorizen7
07-25-2009, 05:25 PM
This Miller signing is a decent alternative to bringing in a Jason Kidd or Steve Nash i guess.

I still think they need more veteran leadership up there before they can really do something important.....
Nash for Bayless/Outlaw/future#1 woulda been enough for me.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-25-2009, 05:31 PM
Kirk Hinrich woulda been the perfect fit at PG, they shoulda traded Bayless if it meant getting him. Idk how long it'll take teams to realize it's a lot easier to win a title with a role player at PG rather than a PG as the focal point of the offense.

MaNu4Tres
01-16-2010, 05:12 PM
That didn't last long:

MOST LIKELY TO BE TRADED

Andre Miller

The veteran point guard acknowledges that he's not a good fit for the offense, which is methodical and built around the clear-out skills of Brandon Roy, neither of which suit Miller's strengths. He has two years at $7 million on his contract, with a team-option for a third season. Potential trade partners: Washington center Brendan Haywood, Indiana forward Troy Murphy, Orlando center Marcin Gortat, San Antonio center Ian Mahinmi.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindbla..._report_p.html