PDA

View Full Version : 79' eastern conference finals on espn classic

jay014
07-24-2009, 06:22 PM
What would've been the Spurs 1st NBA Championship?

dbestpro
07-24-2009, 07:29 PM
I was there. It was my first game. I was in the army. Good times.

ShoogarBear
07-24-2009, 07:53 PM
Just shoot me in the head why don't you?

peskypesky
07-24-2009, 08:06 PM
i still remember the pain. i was a little kid, watching the series at a house out on Canyon Lake. :(

Spursone
07-24-2009, 08:35 PM
I went to one of the games, here in SA, and it was a heart breaker. Wes Unsel was a f__king beast. I hope DeJuan Blair is a shadow of him.

:wakeup

my2sons
07-24-2009, 08:51 PM
conspiracy, conspiracy...that was a great spurs team...

Spursfan092120
07-24-2009, 09:44 PM
i still remember the pain. i was a little kid, watching the series at a house out on Canyon Lake. :(
That's where I live now.. :)

CubanMustGo
07-24-2009, 11:09 PM
Crap, I bought a radio just so I could listen to game 7 at work. Thanks so much for reminding us. Not.

Punkkboy44
07-24-2009, 11:32 PM
The NBA would not let an ABA team get to the finals..Spurs were robbed.

angelbelow
07-24-2009, 11:33 PM
I wasn't born yet, what happened?

wildbill2u
07-24-2009, 11:40 PM
I remember that thousands of us fans mobbed the airport to greet the Spurs when they came home AFTER THE INFAMOUS LOSS.

Fans collected pennies to pay for Doug Moe's fine for his intemperate remarks after the game.

Indeed, we knew we wuz robbed by an NBA power structure than wouldn't let the upstarts from the ABA win--but we also knew we proved we belonged.

In a way, that awful loss of the series solidified the fan base here in San Antonio and created a bond and a permanent love affair between the players and the city.

Sean Cagney
07-24-2009, 11:40 PM
I was about under a year old, thank GOD I do not remember nor saw what you guys are talking about.

I got to see Stricklands famous pass a kid and 95 WCF's though against Houston, that was enough for me right there :(

jimo2305
07-25-2009, 03:02 AM
too bad i don't have cable :(

purist
07-25-2009, 07:33 AM
What would've been the Spurs 1st NBA Championship?

you mean should've been...

Up 3-1 and then everything weird starts to happen.

Still, Wes Unseld was a beast. at 6'7, he exposed the Spurs' lack of a power center in the middle as he outmuscled everyone in the paint. I think his game was a lot like Dujuan BLair's, I hope anyway.

I also remember other spurs killers as Bobby Dandridge, Kevin Greevy and Elvin Hayes

Anyway, a pivotal moment in SPurs history.

wildbill2u
07-25-2009, 08:50 AM
you mean should've been...

Up 3-1 and then everything weird starts to happen.

Still, Wes Unseld was a beast. at 6'7, he exposed the Spurs' lack of a power center in the middle as he outmuscled everyone in the paint. I think his game was a lot like Dujuan BLair's, I hope anyway.

I also remember other spurs killers as Bobby Dandridge, Kevin Greevy and Elvin Hayes

Anyway, a pivotal moment in SPurs history.

Actually, Billy Paultz was our center and he certainly wasn't a finesse player. However, Unseld WAS a big-butted beast who played much taller than he was.

purist
07-25-2009, 06:38 PM
Actually, Billy Paultz was our center and he certainly wasn't a finesse player. However, Unseld WAS a big-butted beast who played much taller than he was.
I never thought whopper was a physical player. He might take the foul. But he didn't muscle enough. Imo olberding and griffin were much more physical. U remember olberdings epic battles with d. Dawkins? Fun times

Tbiggums47
07-25-2009, 06:42 PM
Yeah, I remeber this series..It was a heart breaker. I kept thinking to myself that....3 years into the Merger that the Spurs would make it to the NBA finals before Houston. It was unfortunate that the Spurs could not get any assistance from the refs:

dbestpro
07-25-2009, 07:42 PM
I never thought whopper was a physical player. He might take the foul. But he didn't muscle enough. Imo olberding and griffin were much more physical. U remember olberdings epic battles with d. Dawkins? Fun times

I've always wondered why we never run the Paultz play for Duncan. For those that remember Paultz would let his man take away the passing lane while the guard would pass the ball on a backboard pass that Paultz would easily convert for two.

completely deck
07-25-2009, 08:19 PM
I've always wondered why we never run the Paultz play for Duncan. For those that remember Paultz would let his man take away the passing lane while the guard would pass the ball on a backboard pass that Paultz would easily convert for two.

Sounds too risky. What if he didn't catch the ball and the team recovers and leads a fast break to the other end, while Duncan (or Paultz in this case) was still in the painted area?

dbestpro
07-25-2009, 08:41 PM
It was one of their favorite plays and it worked almost every time. As for Timmy I would venture to say that he has better hands than Paultz. In fact it would have been a great play to run for Oberto, as well.

completely deck
07-25-2009, 10:56 PM
Do you have a video of it?

wildbill2u
07-25-2009, 11:42 PM

My favorite physical battles were between 250 pound George McGinnis of Indiana and George Karl. When Karl got switched onto McGinnis, Mcginnis would try to take him to the basket and Karl get in front and would take the charge every time. McGinnis would get so pissed he'd start to lower his head and put Karl into the cheap seats. Now those were fun times.