PDA

View Full Version : Top 20 Spurs Players (Hoops)

YODA
07-25-2009, 12:56 AM
Found this article by mistake. Was looking for information on players who played over 7 seasons with the Spurs.
Thought this list was pretty good.

http://nbahoopsonline.com/teams/SanAntonioSpurs/Articles/top20.html

Spursfan092120
07-25-2009, 12:58 AM
Found this article by mistake. Was looking for information on players who played over 7 seasons with the Spurs.

Actually...that's a pretty good list....

barbacoataco
07-25-2009, 01:13 AM
Ginobili at #9? That is crazy insane whacko.

Russ
07-25-2009, 01:19 AM
Terry Cummings should at least be one of the honorable mentions. That was an oversight.

pawe
07-25-2009, 01:28 AM
lol at Parker as a pass first point guard.

peskypesky
07-25-2009, 01:30 AM
Glad to see Larry Kenon on the list, but even I think he's too high up.

Cry Havoc
07-25-2009, 01:34 AM
Retracted.

duncan228
07-25-2009, 01:36 AM
Tony Parker isn't even on the LIST?

?

Parker is #6.

cherylsteele
07-25-2009, 01:36 AM
10. Artis Gilmore
Gilmore ended his career with the Spurs, he gave them five very good years and in those five years he become 5th all time in blocks and sixth in rebounds for the Spurs
Uh no....he played for the Bulls then the Celtics and a European team after he left the Spurs in 1987, plus IMHO he should be in the HoF.

Cry Havoc
07-25-2009, 01:37 AM
?

Parker is #6.

Huh. He got so few lines of text I didn't see him, and that webpage is seriously bunk, because I did a search for his name and it didn't show up.

Weird.

Also, I'd put Manu ahead of Avery. Without Avery, we have at least 3 titles. Without Ginobili, we MIGHT have one? Maybe?

celldweller
07-25-2009, 01:38 AM
Avery, Kenon, Robertson before Ginobili? :rolleyes
Off-Season Garbage.

TMTTRIO
07-25-2009, 01:51 AM
^The only thing I can think of is they were three time AS (other than AJ) compared to Manu's one and only AS.

Spursfan 87
07-25-2009, 01:59 AM
where's Malik Rose?

jimo2305
07-25-2009, 02:38 AM
i know im a youngster and everything but i believe manu should be ranked a tad bit higher on that list

spursfaninla
07-25-2009, 02:50 AM
As mentioned, the Parker as a pass-first PG is glaring, and I don't know the player listed just before parker really, but I doubt he really deserves to be ahead of parker.

We are biased with how we see Manu and Parker, and it is hard to compare different eras and different combinations of players.

Agree, Cummings needed to be listed, probably before Anderson I think.

I really just dont' know pre 1990 players much, because that is when I started watching basketball.

DAF86
07-25-2009, 03:52 AM
First 3 come easily: Duncan, Robinson, Gervin. But I think 4 and 5 should be Manu and Tony (when everything is said and done, Tony would be probably ahead of Manu)

mudyez
07-25-2009, 06:03 AM
First 3 come easily: Duncan, Robinson, Gervin. But I think 4 and 5 should be Manu and Tony (when everything is said and done, Tony would be probably ahead of Manu)

yeah, probaly the both of them + Luck the Fackers Luck the Fackers Luck...naahhh...just kidding!

Spur|n|Austin
07-25-2009, 06:48 AM
I'm gonna have to say that's almost a perfect list.

purist
07-25-2009, 07:39 AM
James Silas should be higher, I'd say right after Gervin. His play, along with Ice, helped legitimize the Spurs in their transition from ABA to NBA. I wouldn't have ROdman on the list and replace him with Gene Banks. Dave Corzine? Paul Griffin? Mike Gale?

urunobili
07-25-2009, 09:08 AM
TD
Admiral
Gervin
Parker
Manu
Eliott

in this article AJ>Manu is a joke...

kskonn
07-25-2009, 09:20 AM
Without Avery, we have at least 3 titles. Without Ginobili, we MIGHT have one? Maybe?

Well we would certainly have 1 without Ginobli since he was not on the team when we won our first title.

bigfan
07-25-2009, 10:41 AM
Im glad to see somebody besides me still remembers how great Mike Mitchell played.

Macca76
07-25-2009, 10:42 AM
TP is a 3 time all star not a 2 time.

Ginobili after AJ ???????

spursjustice
07-25-2009, 12:24 PM
lol at Parker as a pass first point guard.

haha I saw that too I was wondering if he changed his style over the summer.

Biggems
07-25-2009, 12:38 PM
can we take #18 off the list.....i dont even want to mention his name....he is nothing short of an assclown and cost us a shot at our first title in 1990. GREAT NO LOOK PASS GENIUS

BillMc
07-25-2009, 01:00 PM
Manu is too low. To be honest, he should be ahead of many on this list including Tony. (That's not bashing Parker, it's just a compliment to Manu.)

Parker, as great as he's been since 2007, struggled in the playoffs at times during 2003 and 2005. It was 2007, that he came into his own. But, I do think, over the course of their careers Manu has been more consistent and more dangerous. He was the big surprise in the 2003 playoffs, and almost stole the Finals MVP from Tim in 2005. And in 2008, before his injury Manu might have actually been the second best 2 guard in the league!!!!

That said, Parker is probably the better player now, and is still so young that he can end up very, very high on this list before he's finished. That Finals MVP is huge. Hope Tony is a Spur his whole career!!!

Russ
07-25-2009, 01:26 PM
Colby Dietrick?

Vito Corleone
07-25-2009, 01:49 PM
Here is my top 20

1. Timmy - Obvious
2. Robinson - Obvious
3. Gervin - Obvious
4. Parker - Gets the nod over Manu only because he will probably give us another 3 to 5 good years.
5. Manu
6. Elliott
7a. Avery Johnson
7b. Silas - he deserves the HOF
9. Mike Mitchell
10. Terry Cummins
11. Larry Kenon
12. Artis Gilmore - He should be in the HOF
13. Bruce Bowen
14. Johnny Moore
15. Alvin Robertson
16. Willie Anderson - Too bad he couldn't stay healthy or keep his damn toe off the 3 pt line.
17. Rod Strickland - Always be remembered for the over the shoulder pass
18. Dale Ellis - hard to put a guy here that we picked up at the tail end of his career.
19. Doc Rivers - he played the role that Manu occupies right now back in the 90's.
20. Antoine Carr - big dog was one misused asset back in the 90's. had we used him properly we likely beat the Jazz in 94 playoffs.

superbigtime
07-25-2009, 03:05 PM

Thanks, good read and nice list. But Terry Cummins was forgotten by that writer, he should definitely be on a top 25 list. Even Vinny maybe.

It would be nice to see Kenon, Alvin Robertson or Artis Gilmore retired. Those are legend-type players. Still can't believe Avery is in the rafters.

DxB
07-25-2009, 03:08 PM
Manu needs to be way higher, even than Tony. Its no secret he's underrated, but this is fuckin ridiculous.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-25-2009, 03:24 PM
Parker was a steal for the Spurs, who found him at the bottom of the first round in 2001. He is a two time All-star and won the 2007 NBA finals MVP. Parker is a pass first point guard who is on pace to become the teams all-time leader in assists

why anybody would continue reading after this little gem is beyond me

Vic Petro
07-25-2009, 03:25 PM
James Silas should be higher, I'd say right after Gervin. His play, along with Ice, helped legitimize the Spurs in their transition from ABA to NBA.

Silas should definitely be higher.

will_spurs
07-25-2009, 07:02 PM

Although it's true he's probably going to retire as the all-time leader in assists (as well as potentially game played, minutes played and so on since he started at such a young age).

Anyway I agree with most in this thread, before opening the link I thought the top 6 would be: Duncan, Robinson, Gervin, Parker, Ginobili, Elliott. Seems to me that Tony and Manu already achieved more with the team than Elliott.

YODA
07-25-2009, 07:06 PM

Actually thought it was a typo, but maybe he was serias.

TP a pass first point gaurd.......:gave me a nice chuckle:

antgomez2009
07-25-2009, 07:37 PM
What about Robert Horry!!!

He helped the spurs win championships!!!

:lobt2::lobt2:

Vito Corleone
07-25-2009, 08:56 PM
I forgot about Horry, he had a much bigger impact on the Spurs success than Rodman ever did.

portnoy1
07-26-2009, 05:22 PM
Parker as a pass first point guard.

My Thread was closed, but oh well. Parker avg a career high 22pts / 6.9ast last year. Thats because he always had the ball, ( no Manu and Duncan didnt play as much as normal ) He also had 3 shooters Bonner/ Finley and Mason Jr. in the starting lineup with him so he could get deep in the lane and look for a bucket ( as usual ) and then if the defense collapsed ( 3 guys he cant teardrop over ) then he would kick out to the shooters.

portnoy1
07-26-2009, 05:36 PM
I'm not a parker-hater like many think, I just dont like the fact that he gets credited for being a top point guard. Point guards pass the ball often and help their teammates get easier looks, and also utilize the strengths of the guys around them first. Chris Paul knows Tyson Chandler cant score to save his life, However he can jump. Chris Paul makes sure to play to the strengths of Tyson Chandler, therefore he looks for chandler up high near the rim cause thats the only way he can score. Chris paul also runs pick n roll with undersized PF David West. Instead of having West try to score on guys who are bigger than him, he looks to run screen n roll and get David West and easier shot against a 6-2 point guard defender after the switch instead of trying to shake up a 7ft and get a layup ( or sadly, a step back 17 footer ) all the time like Parker. So parker should definetly not be 6th. Ginobili should be 5 or 6 and then parker after Ginobili.

Kori Ellis
07-26-2009, 06:13 PM
I assumed the "pass first" in the article was a typo. I thought they they meant that though Tony is a "shoot first" point guard that he will still break the Spurs all-time assist record.

Kori Ellis
07-26-2009, 06:15 PM
I'm not a parker-hater like many think, I just dont like the fact that he gets credited for being a top point guard. Point guards pass the ball often and help their teammates get easier looks, and also utilize the strengths of the guys around them first. Chris Paul knows Tyson Chandler cant score to save his life, However he can jump. Chris Paul makes sure to play to the strengths of Tyson Chandler, therefore he looks for chandler up high near the rim cause thats the only way he can score. Chris paul also runs pick n roll with undersized PF David West. Instead of having West try to score on guys who are bigger than him, he looks to run screen n roll and get David West and easier shot against a 6-2 point guard defender after the switch instead of trying to shake up a 7ft and get a layup ( or sadly, a step back 17 footer ) all the time like Parker. So parker should definetly not be 6th. Ginobili should be 5 or 6 and then parker after Ginobili.

Tony is a shoot first point guard. That's the design of the Spurs offense. They play to the strengths of their players. Tony is supposed to shoot the most on the team by design. Plus the Spurs offense is all about ball movement. So sometimes that pass before the assist is the key one. I don't think Tony will ever average 8 assists or anything, unless the Spurs re-vamped their whole offense and told him to stop scoring (which would be stupid).

DPG21920
07-26-2009, 06:19 PM
Not to mention that the Spurs, along with other smart basketball minds, track the "hockey assists". This is what the Spurs do well. They make multiple passes and allow players to get into good spots to score.

pawe
07-26-2009, 10:45 PM
If Pop will turn TP as a pass first pg, they should just trade him away for Jason Kidd. TP's greatest strength is his speed and ability to finish. Give him 2 more years and he will be higher up on that list.

bishopospurs
07-26-2009, 11:33 PM
I think Rich Jones should get a shout out, he was sick with before the iceman came in. What about John Paxon, Mychal Thompson, Marc Iavaroni, George Karl, or Dominique Wilkins? Just kidding. Stan Love (kevin's Dad) was a Spur, should the T Wolves pay us for that? Do Chapparrels count? Manny Leaks anybody? Bob Netolicky? Rich Jones falls in line here as well

How about the worst Spur of all time?
Some Candidates:
Dwayne Schintzius
Petur Gudmundsson
Uwe Blab
Jack Haley (nice enthusiasm on the bench)
Jon Sundvold (okay he isn't the worst here)
Mark McNamara
Carl Herrera
Fred Roberts
Ed Nealy
Reggie Geary
Alfredrick Hughes
Kurt Nimphius
Roger Phegley
Ed Rains
Samaki Walker (frustrating to watch)
Ozell Jones
Monty Williams (extremely frustrating)
Brad Lohaus

Sean Cagney
07-26-2009, 11:46 PM
TD
Admiral
Gervin
Parker
Manu
Eliott

in this article AJ>Manu is a joke...Understatement, Manu for this team >>>>>>>>>>> AJ, easily. He is a way better player, AJ would never lead his team to a Gold nor make an all star game nor have the 05 playoffs Manu had. I laugh at that there.

bishopospurs
07-27-2009, 10:08 AM
Reading the list again, I am really surprised AJ is so freaking high. No Terry Cummings is crazy. Horry is debatable I think, he did hit big enough shots to maybe get in the top 20, but he wasn't a big contributor during the regular season.

sam1617
07-27-2009, 10:18 AM
Rod Strickland needs to never be on a list for the Spurs again, unless its for "All Time Stupidest Passes in the Playoffs" list. Put Malik on there instead of Strickland...

portnoy1
07-28-2009, 12:09 PM
Tony is a shoot first point guard. That's the design of the Spurs offense. They play to the strengths of their players. Tony is supposed to shoot the most on the team by design. Plus the Spurs offense is all about ball movement. So sometimes that pass before the assist is the key one. I don't think Tony will ever average 8 assists or anything, unless the Spurs re-vamped their whole offense and told him to stop scoring (which would be stupid).
Chris Paul and Deron Williams have around the same number of points and alot more assist than parker. My point is that Parker looks for his shot all the time and then if defenses collapse he passes the ball. Average point guards do that. the good ones will take 3-4 possesions to look for teammates and get them going, and then insert themselves into the offense when nessecary. Parker works very hard to get assist, if he cant get into the lane after 1 or 2 pick n rolls then he ends up taking a fall away 17footer while the shot clock is running down. the good point guards regulate the offense. Calderon's plays ( Picnroll bargnani / anthony parker coming off screen / iso Bosh / post bargnani / Picnroll bosh / barngnani coming of screen ). Chris Paul's plays ( picnroll chandler / picnroll west / picnroll stojackovic / stojackovic coming off screen / butler coming off screen ). They both use the entire team and use them in different areas.

3 Legged Dog
07-28-2009, 07:10 PM
To rank Olberding and Dietrick..... and not rank Billy Paultz is an absolute joke.