PDA

View Full Version : Which Spurs Acquisition Makes You Feel Better?

urunobili
07-25-2009, 09:20 AM
My personal choice is DeJuan Blair... I think the kid is going to be terrific.

I also wouldn't sleep on Haislip's ability to play the three on big lineups.

From our current players... I think George Hill will be great and my inner gut is telling me that Ian will have a breakout year too.

That's all...

Riverwalkman
07-25-2009, 09:22 AM
Can I say RJ ?

Spursmania
07-25-2009, 09:31 AM
It's actually a pretty tough choice. I love Blair, but he's a rookie. Jefferson would have to be my choice because he brings an immediate and known impact and he is insurance for Manu going down.

Also, without Dyess, I think most of us would still be going crazy at the thought of Bonner starting and finishing ...

spursfan1000
07-25-2009, 09:36 AM
I'm going to go with Blair, he gives me hope that the Spurs will be good in the future when Manu Ginobili and Tim Duncan retire.

galvatron3000
07-25-2009, 09:42 AM
How can you pick one, the entire summer has me excited because no one sign was going to be enough. The combine summer session has been very encouraging in comparison with last season, changes had to be made and the changes that were made by the FO were great moves.

jimo2305
07-25-2009, 10:10 AM
Richard Jefferson

Samr
07-25-2009, 10:14 AM
Color me crazy, but I'm picking Haislip.

Obviously RJ kicked off this whole circle jerk of excitement this summer, and he will by far have the biggest impact. But I truly believe Haislip is going to be one of those "where the HELL did he come from???" pickups that is going to cause matchup problems across the board this year.

RJ makes me feel the most re-assured. Blair has shown the SL potential to wreck opposing front lines. Ratliff is a fantastic insurance policy. McD, obviously, you couldn't pick a better partner (at that price) to put next to Duncan. But Haislip has me the most excited. Again, color me crazy, but I'm pulling for the underdog here. He has the right combination of long-range shooting, size, and athleticism to really be an interesting player.

All that being said, I think we can all agree on the fact that the Spurs are STACKED. We've had good benches in the past -- all with a lot of talent -- but this year, there are players at every position that are actually INTERESTING. I can't wait to see the lineups the Spurs decide to throw. **keeps dreaming of a Manu/Jefferson/Haislip/Blair/Duncan lineup**

duhoh
this was an exciting post-season.

great time to be a spurs fan, yes?

PBEEZY
Jefferson....he gives a viable fourth option, the others are all still shrewd pick ups i think RJ takes the cake

jimo2305
07-25-2009, 10:25 AM
Jefferson....he gives a viable fourth option, the others are all still shrewd pick ups i think RJ takes the cake

pBz!! sup bro!??

as u can tell im starting to post here more often lol..

Russ
07-25-2009, 10:35 AM
If you feel best about "found money," you may feel best about the Blair pickup.

RJ and McDyess may be a little more significant, but they were both on the Spurs' radar for some time. They were targeted, planned for, and aquired.

Blair, on the other hand, simply fell to the Spurs and, as an added bonus, turned out to be just the type of player that the Spurs desperately needed -- a physical, rebounding presence under the basket to infuse a lethargic corps of bigs with some toughness and desire.

I'm not sure even we Spurs fans fully appreciate just how mmediately effective Blair may be in the NBA. From head to toe, he was made to play NBA ball.

Blair is a true warrior.

Knoxxx
07-25-2009, 10:49 AM
This thread is ridiculous, the mods should make it so nobody between 6000-7000 posts can start a thread. What a joke, RJ of course. Reason is we add a 20 PPG scorer to a team that can't score and look what we offloaded.

Knoxxx
07-25-2009, 10:52 AM

Obviously RJ kicked off this whole circle jerk of excitement this summer, and he will by far have the biggest impact. But I truly believe Haislip is going to be one of those "where the HELL did he come from???" pickups that is going to cause matchup problems across the board this year.

I agree that Haislip just might be that x-factor and exceed most folks expectations. He looks at lot like that "long three" many are still pining for to me.

BoricuaCJA
07-25-2009, 10:57 AM
this was an exciting post-season.

great time to be a spurs fan, yes?
Are you talking about the postseason(playoffs) or offseason(free agency/Draft)? Your post confused me, IDK if you were being sarcastic, thought post-season was off-season or what.

I'm most pumped up about Mcdyess. We finally have some to play along side of the GPFOAT Tim Duncan. It is really hard to chose.

DMX7
07-25-2009, 11:04 AM

You people are fucking insane.

PBEEZY
07-25-2009, 11:08 AM
pBz!! sup bro!??

as u can tell im starting to post here more often lol..

Yeah i see you in every thread lol

Knoxxx
07-25-2009, 11:08 AM
You people are fucking insane.

What do you mean "you people?"

DMX7
07-25-2009, 11:10 AM

urunobili
07-25-2009, 11:17 AM

RJ makes me feel the most re-assured. Blair has shown the SL potential to wreck opposing front lines. Ratliff is a fantastic insurance policy. McD, obviously, you couldn't pick a better partner (at that price) to put next to Duncan. But Haislip has me the most excited. Again, color me crazy, but I'm pulling for the underdog here. He has the right combination of long-range shooting, size, and athleticism to really be an interesting player.

All that being said, I think we can all agree on the fact that the Spurs are STACKED. We've had good benches in the past -- all with a lot of talent -- but this year, there are players at every position that are actually INTERESTING. I can't wait to see the lineups the Spurs decide to throw. **keeps dreaming of a Manu/Jefferson/Haislip/Blair/Duncan lineup**
great post :tu

I agree Haislip could be the sleeper difference maker putting us over the hump... besides... who is going to guard Odom, Ariza, Rashard Lewis etc?

His body and mobility matches up perfectly against those...

Knoxxx
07-25-2009, 11:18 AM

I mean I am about to come kick your ass and burn down your house!

Actually I was referring to the Robert Downey Jr. character in Tropic Thunder, one of the few bright spots in an otherwise lackluster (unfunny) film.

Knoxxx
07-25-2009, 11:25 AM
great post :tu

I agree Haislip could be the sleeper difference maker putting us over the hump... besides... who is going to guard Odom, Ariza, Rashard Lewis etc?

His body and mobility matches up perfectly against those...

Agree. We may well be wetting our pants over Hais if he can guard those guys and do a little Dirk-stopping too. Stretches of Hais-Dice-TD-RJ/Manu-TP could really put the hurt on some folks if he can learn our system.

gm5k
07-25-2009, 11:31 AM
RJ. he makes me feel better about hopefully not having to go through those classic SAS 5 minute scoring droughts :toast

The Truth #6
07-25-2009, 11:43 AM
I didn't think Haislip was known for his defense. Gist could probably be a better long 3 for defense but his overall game and confidence probably isn't there yet.

urunobili
07-25-2009, 11:46 AM
I didn't think Haislip was known for his defense. Gist could probably be a better long 3 for defense but his overall game and confidence probably isn't there yet.
I think everybody is (the Spurs included) hoping that his game improved in europe to the point that he felt he needed to prove everybody here wrong...

Signing as cheap as he did when arguably he could have got 5 times that money staying in europe speaks a lot... as RC said... Marcus is here with something to prove... just like DeJuan will... :king

Bruno
07-25-2009, 11:51 AM
Only one rookie in the NBA history has reached a conference final by playing more than 10mpg at a younger age than Blair will have for the next playoffs: Magic Johnson.

If I say that, it's to keep in mind that Blair is a very young rookie and could need some times before becoming a contributor for a contender.

Spursone
07-25-2009, 12:01 PM
For immediate impact I will say Jefferson, to build our future I will say Blair, although given a chance this year Blair could bring it.

I think POP needs to be a little more flexible on how he views and uses newbies.

:flag:

lotr1trekkie
07-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Each new player adds something to the big 3. Each provides relief for the Big 3 so that come the playoffs they aren't spent like last year.
A] Jefferson-provides offensive relief for all 3 but especially Manu who really doesn't need to start anymore. RJ will also be fun to watch finishing TP fast breaks. Tony may get to double digits in assists.
b] MyDyess- gets Bonner out of the starting linup. Actually a better complimentary player to Tim than Sheed in many ways. Timmy can now go outside again.
c] Blair/Ratliff/Haislip---provide an inside presence and physicality the Spurs haven't had in a long time. The Bruise Triplets! Timmy's cavalry has arrived.
d] Manu--we played the last 2 playoffs without him. I think of him as another addition. The Manu of 2007.
e] Hill---if he can be TP's backup that is a tremendous upgrade over a rotation of Vaughn and Mason.
f] Hairston/ Williams-- can't see both making the roster but either is more athletic than Ime.

Biggems
07-25-2009, 12:04 PM
Can I say RJ ?

I'm not gonna fall for the banana in the tailpipe

loveforthegame
07-25-2009, 12:06 PM
Jefferson will help no doubt but we finally have some bigs that can help Duncan in every aspect.

I think McDyess, Blair, and Ratliff protecting the paint and helping on the boards is miles ahead of what Bonner, Thomas, and Oberto were able to give.

For me that's a bigger need than Jefferson helping with the scoring.

spursjustice
07-25-2009, 12:30 PM
The news of RJ joining the Spurs made my week.
The selection of DeJuan and signing McDyess come in equal 2nd.

sonic21
07-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Dice or Blair. Duncan never played with bigs this good since Drob, i'm really excited to see them play.

Interrohater
07-25-2009, 01:09 PM
Who the hell picked Rattliff?
:lol

Knoxxx
07-25-2009, 01:17 PM
Each new player adds something to the big 3. Each provides relief for the Big 3 so that come the playoffs they aren't spent like last year.
A] Jefferson-provides offensive relief for all 3 but especially Manu who really doesn't need to start anymore. RJ will also be fun to watch finishing TP fast breaks. Tony may get to double digits in assists.
b] MyDyess- gets Bonner out of the starting linup. Actually a better complimentary player to Tim than Sheed in many ways. Timmy can now go outside again.
c] Blair/Ratliff/Haislip---provide an inside presence and physicality the Spurs haven't had in a long time. The Bruise Triplets! Timmy's cavalry has arrived.
d] Manu--we played the last 2 playoffs without him. I think of him as another addition. The Manu of 2007.
e] Hill---if he can be TP's backup that is a tremendous upgrade over a rotation of Vaughn and Mason.
f] Hairston/ Williams-- can't see both making the roster but either is more athletic than Ime.

So true. In a championship team the whole usually is better than the sum of its parts. Our parts are summing up quite nicely though.

Knoxxx
07-25-2009, 01:18 PM
Who the hell picked Rattliff?

Welcome to ST Theo!

(Or maybe Theo's mom)

Spursfan 87
07-25-2009, 01:28 PM
Haislip

BillMc
07-25-2009, 01:31 PM
Welcome to ST Theo!

(Or maybe Theo's mom)

:lol:lol:lol

Libri
07-25-2009, 01:31 PM
Richard Jefferson

What if McDyess would have been the Spurs only major acquisition?

angel_luv
07-25-2009, 01:33 PM
I have always liked Richard Jefferson so I am glad he is a Spur.

peskypesky
07-25-2009, 01:33 PM
I think you have to go with Jefferson, who's at or near the peak of his career. McDyess is a great addition, but he's clearly in his sunset years. Thorpe even more so. Dejuan Blair, on the other hand, is very exciting because he brings something the Spurs haven't had in years...a hard-nosed beast who relishes banging in the paint. The potential is huge, but since he has yet to play an NBA game, there's no way you can compare his addition to Jefferson, McDyess or even Thorpe, who are all proven vets.

peskypesky
07-25-2009, 01:35 PM
I have always liked Richard Jefferson so I am glad he is a Spur.

me too!
i've always liked his game and his personality. he seems tailor-made for the Spurs. same with McDyess. Sheed, on the other hand, might've been a train-wreck.

peskypesky
07-25-2009, 01:36 PM
Jefferson will help no doubt but we finally have some bigs that can help Duncan in every aspect.

I think McDyess, Blair, and Ratliff protecting the paint and helping on the boards is miles ahead of what Bonner, Thomas, and Oberto were able to give.

For me that's a bigger need than Jefferson helping with the scoring.

I think Jefferson offers a bit more than just scoring. Although not a great defender, like Bowen, he's definitely better than Mason or Finley, or probably even Manu.

Sense
07-25-2009, 01:40 PM
I've always felt like we've been having a guard at center with Bonner there... I gotta say McDyess... filling in that huge gap.

angelbelow
07-25-2009, 01:58 PM
I picked Richard because that was the first of the amazing moves. But Blair's selection was pretty up there as well. McDyess was more of a grueling long process because I wasn't sure if it would be another Maggette.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-25-2009, 02:07 PM
Jefferson

SpurCharger
07-25-2009, 02:35 PM
Imma Go With Dice! just Because Everytime Duncan wasnt in the game last year, teams had a field day on the block..... With Jefferson and Blair a close 2nd.....

peskypesky
07-25-2009, 02:35 PM
I've always felt like we've been having a guard at center with Bonner there... I gotta say McDyess... filling in that huge gap.

So are people thinking that McDyess will be the starting center, as opposed to being Tim's replacement off the bench at PF?

I'm asking because McDyess seems a little small to be center, and isn't his game a little further out than Tim's? If McDyess and Duncan start, who will be playing center (i.e. closer to the basket)?

SpurCharger
07-25-2009, 02:48 PM
Dice, Is A Poor Mans Version Of Duncan.... Same type of player... Just Duncan Is better at what he does..... they Both Can Hit the Jumper, They both Play great Team Defense, And they Both Can Bang around on the blocks..... Dice Averaged Damn near 10 Boards A game last year.... something We desperately needed last year..... I think Are Main Weakness last year was on the Glass, Giving teams to many 2nd chance opportunites..... With Dice, Blair, and even Jefferson rebounds pretty Well at The Small Forward Spot we should improve Drastically from last year....

superbigtime
07-25-2009, 02:48 PM
I'm not gonna fall for the banana in the tailpipe

That's what she said. :blah

Spurs_210
07-25-2009, 03:04 PM
I say RJ cause he is a major hole fixed. Finley was horrid on defense and the Spurs often had periods of no scoring beyond TP9 and Duncan. That hurt BIG in the playoffs as it was those 2 verus the Mavs. RJ may not be an elite defender but with Pop's coaching and the motivation for a ship he will step it up.

mookie2001
07-25-2009, 03:15 PM
typical uraguayan

buujness
07-25-2009, 04:28 PM
As much as all of those players fit roles that were needed on the team, Richard Jefferson is by far the best player on the list. He'll add another perimeter scorer, and, more importantly, will be a massive upgrade defensively at the starting SF position.

urunobili
07-25-2009, 06:34 PM
typical uraguayan

If you would like to know what life is all about come and visit us... go get busy and a new job... :rollin

07-25-2009, 06:50 PM
spurs have plugged pretty much every hole that plagued them in 2008 and 2009. first, the continuing development of george hill gives the spurs a true backup for parker not named ginobili or barry. second, they added toughness to the frontline with a starter quality big in mcdyess. third, it is evident to non-homer bowen fans that he can no longer consistently keep up with the other team's best perimeter player. jefferson, while not an excellent defender, should be solid and better than finley at the very least. i don't know if spurs defense can return back to 2007 or even 2008 levels but it will definitely be better than 2009.

lastly, and probably the most important aspect is that the spurs will not have to worry about scoring droughts that destroyed them in 2008. jefferson, with increased depth and youth on the bench, will dramatically increase the spurs' offensive weapons. i would have been happy if the spurs just added mcdyess and a defensive wing over the offseason but jefferson will be the missing piece. spurs fans have been yearning for an athletic, 3 pt shooting, defensive, long, and experienced wing and now they got him.

Knoxxx
07-25-2009, 06:50 PM
So are people thinking that McDyess will be the starting center, as opposed to being Tim's replacement off the bench at PF?

I'm asking because McDyess seems a little small to be center, and isn't his game a little further out than Tim's? If McDyess and Duncan start, who will be playing center (i.e. closer to the basket)?

When teams start driving at will we stick Ratliff in to tend the goal. Then we hope they don't notice that we take Ratliff out since we only figure to play him 10-12 minutes a night. Some nights we will need Theo more than others for teams that penetrate and attack the rim especially well but he will be a ZERO on offense I figure.

Sisk
07-25-2009, 06:59 PM

hahahahaha thank you for this

and it's without question, RJ

YODA
07-25-2009, 07:01 PM
Haislip???
someone explain why anyone would think he would make an impact this year?
Why would you think he even gets a chance to get minutes this year? he has proven absolutly nothing yet. LEt hope, like Blair, he turns into a nice pickup, but difference maker? come on people.

The initial question is to easy and been answered a dozen time. RJ is the man that will open things up even more for Manu Mason tim and Tony. Playing D on the spurs next year is going to be tough.

Blair is still a rookie and will need some time to develop. The sooner the better.
The aquisition of dice is really big, but will go unoticed to much. That weak side D and extra banger in the middle will account for some extra wins.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-25-2009, 07:21 PM
Only one rookie in the NBA history has reached a conference final by playing more than 10mpg at a younger age than Blair will have for the next playoffs: Magic Johnson.

If I say that, it's to keep in mind that Blair is a very young rookie and could need some times before becoming a contributor for a contender.

So what are you saying, Blair needs to contract AIDS?

Jack McClinton all the way baby. :wgaf:

ohmwrecker
07-25-2009, 07:24 PM
I went with RJ, but only because the excitement of Blair and Haislip, the veteran insurance of McDyess and Ratliff and the hopeful good health of the big three makes his piece of the puzzle stand out.

scottspurs
07-25-2009, 07:36 PM
I love the Theo Ratliff signing. He can come in and block some shots for 12 minutes a game.

Samr
07-25-2009, 08:03 PM
Haislip???
someone explain why anyone would think he would make an impact this year?
Why would you think he even gets a chance to get minutes this year? he has proven absolutly nothing yet. LEt hope, like Blair, he turns into a nice pickup, but difference maker? come on people.

RJ is the "duh" answer to this question. With him, it's the Big Four, not the Big Three, and though the math is a little screwy with 3 + 1 I'm pretty sure the answer in June is going to be 5.

But given how incredibly awesome that piece to the puzzle is, Haislip has me pulling for the underdog. Yeah, the dude sucked when he came into the league. But again, most players suck when they come into the league. Except instead of wallowing on some team's bench hoping to get traded as an extra piece to a team that allows him minutes, the dude went to Europe, and blossomed to become arguably the second-ranked FA overseas.

He found a bit of range, his body learned to co-ordinate with his athleticism, and now he's back in the league with a chip on his shoulder, a beast of an athlete taking less money so he can have the opportunity to show that he belongs.

I'd rather have a dude with massive internal desire and the physical tools to get it done, that a guy with some proven skills looking to fill out a resume.

...Now, the same can be said too of RJ, who "wants to be relevant again" (any wonder we all remember that quote?). But people have been giving RJ respect for a while; Haislip wanted an opportunity to bet on himself, and the Spurs FO took him up on it. He has something to prove now, and a lot is at stake for him.

So yeah, he makes me feel better that he's playing for the Spurs and not against them. He's an underdog with the tools to win. I think he will. Which is great, because he does too.

spurspokesman
07-25-2009, 08:18 PM
If you feel best about "found money," you may feel best about the Blair pickup.

RJ and McDyess may be a little more significant, but they were both on the Spurs' radar for some time. They were targeted, planned for, and aquired.

Blair, on the other hand, simply fell to the Spurs and, as an added bonus, turned out to be just the type of player that the Spurs desperately needed -- a physical, rebounding presence under the basket to infuse a lethargic corps of bigs with some toughness and desire.

I'm not sure even we Spurs fans fully appreciate just how mmediately effective Blair may be in the NBA. From head to toe, he was made to play NBA ball.

Blair is a true warrior.
Yep. Big east baby

Vito Corleone
07-25-2009, 08:54 PM
Jefferson has turned us from a defensive first team to a offensive juggernaut.

Knoxxx
07-25-2009, 10:12 PM
RJ is the "duh" answer to this question. With him, it's the Big Four, not the Big Three, and though the math is a little screwy with 3 + 1 I'm pretty sure the answer in June is going to be 5.

I'd actually given this some thought since the Big 3 has expanded. I thought the "Fearsome Foursome" was the ticket, then Santa gave us Dice. So now what do ya'll think of the "Furious Five"? I think that was an old rap group or something, but perhaps time we adopt it for the 2009-10 Spurs?

barbacoataco
07-25-2009, 11:22 PM

Interesting. Did you read that somewhere or research it yourself?

peskypesky
07-26-2009, 01:20 AM
As much as all of those players fit roles that were needed on the team, Richard Jefferson is by far the best player on the list. He'll add another perimeter scorer, and, more importantly, will be a massive upgrade defensively at the starting SF position.

well, if you consider rebounding important, McDyess is a much better rebounder than RJ...so I wouldn't say that RJ is "by far" the best player on the list.

JustinJDW
07-26-2009, 04:18 AM
Richard Jefferson.

Think about it, we are going to have a consistent scorer other than Timmy, TP and Manu (when healthy). Also, not only can RJ score, but he can defend well too. He will fit perfectly with our Spurs Team. McDyess and Blair are good too, but RJ will have the most impact on our Team.

SKINNYPIMP210
07-26-2009, 05:12 AM
I'd actually given this some thought since the Big 3 has expanded. I thought the "Fearsome Foursome" was the ticket, then Santa gave us Dice. So now what do ya'll think of the "Furious Five"? I think that was an old rap group or something, but perhaps time we adopt it for the 2009-10 Spurs?

Yep Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five :lol
http://www.jeepbastard.com/gallery/34furious_five_fashion_small.jpg

Bruno
07-26-2009, 05:25 AM
Interesting. Did you read that somewhere or research it yourself?

I research it myself.

07-26-2009, 05:36 AM
blair should not be getting more votes than mcdyess. i would have been happy if mcdyess was the only big name acquisition the spurs made.

bobby4germany
01-06-2010, 02:25 PM
This thread is classic!!!

:lol :downspin: :lol

nkdlunch
01-06-2010, 02:39 PM
LMAO Blair owned all these mofos

xellos88330
01-06-2010, 04:33 PM
I still stand by my choice of Jefferson. Haven't you noticed how little Timmy is being double teamed?

LOL@MavsFan
01-06-2010, 04:36 PM
DeJuan...he's the only one on the team I see giving 100% every play

LOL@MavsFan
01-06-2010, 04:37 PM
Yep Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five :lol
http://www.jeepbastard.com/gallery/34furious_five_fashion_small.jpg

HAHA...pricesless...I want that spandex Bud Light shirt.

DesignatedT
01-06-2010, 04:50 PM
DeJuan...he's the only one on the team I see giving 100% every play

tim duncan

timtonymanu
01-06-2010, 08:19 PM
notice this poll was made before Keith Bogans was signed. So far the acquisitions have looked like this:

Blair
Bogans
RJ
Dice
Ratliff
Haislip

Andrew Bynum
01-06-2010, 08:22 PM
Drive for Five! :lmao

Spurfan over the summer "Lets just fast forward to Lakers/Spurs WCF" :lmao

urunobili
01-06-2010, 08:57 PM