PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Bucks Shopping Bowen

Clutch City 01
07-25-2009, 03:47 PM
The Bucks are shopping Bruce Bowen, according to a number of leagues sources.

Milwaukee acquired Bowen in the trade that sent Richard Jefferson to San Antonio last month.

Bowen could be an attractive option for some teams because his contract is only partially guaranteed.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Spurs_sign_veteran_Ratliff.html

JamStone
07-25-2009, 03:48 PM
Would be a nice fit with Miami... as an assistant coach.

Dunc n Dave
07-25-2009, 04:03 PM
The only teams that pulls a move for him will do it to cut him by Aug 1st to save $2 million of his $4 million salary.

My money is on him being cut on July 31st and then re-signing for the minimum with the Spurs once he is allowed to.

He'll retire before ever putting on a purple and gold jersey, or being teammates with Ray Allen. He's said so on the radio (about wearing a Laker jersey, at least).

sook
07-25-2009, 04:22 PM
nty

Muser
07-25-2009, 04:29 PM
If a proposed 3 for 1 trade does happpen i'd love to see bruce take one of the remaining spots.

Kai
07-25-2009, 04:34 PM
He's gonna be released no matter what, right?

ginobili's bald spot
07-25-2009, 04:35 PM
Bowen is done.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-25-2009, 04:48 PM
I personally think he's got a little bit left in the tank, he's obviously no longer someone who can play lock down D on Kobe for 30+ minutes a game.

Ghazi
07-25-2009, 04:50 PM
donnie cmon pull the trigger!!

DPG21920
07-25-2009, 04:52 PM
Bruce said he would not play for the Mavs. He said he would ignore the calls.

dickface
07-25-2009, 05:47 PM
Yeah Bruce could talk big when he was a respected defender. Now that he sucks at every aspect of the game of basketball, we'll see how tough his "I'd rather die than play for LA/Dallas/etc" stance is. If he's desperate enough to keep playing, he'll sign up to be Kobe's ball washer.

Guajalote
07-25-2009, 05:53 PM

For a particular reason, I don't see him as being a good fit for the Mavs.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x309/Guajalote/jterry.jpg

:lol

45 bank shot
07-25-2009, 07:23 PM
I really dun think bruce is coming back unless we have nobody at the 3

Culburn369
07-25-2009, 07:26 PM
I really dun think bruce is coming back unless we have nobody at the 3

...or, unless you can't corrupt one your players into sticking his foot under the opposing jump shooter to coerce a sprain ankle. That was Bowen's signature move.

angelbelow
07-25-2009, 07:32 PM
bowens contract is pretty valuable, if i were the bucks i would try to shop him for some talent, but if not, just waive him before the the guaranteed contract date.

loveforthegame
07-25-2009, 07:58 PM
I don't see him returning to the Spurs at all. They're clearly moving in a new direction.

If they make a trade (using some package of Finley, Bonner, Mason, Williams) it's to get a defensive minded wing in return.

BlackSwordsMan
07-25-2009, 08:10 PM
veteren leadership with all-star defense

ploto
07-25-2009, 09:47 PM
He said he would ignore the calls.

I would lose respect for Bruce if he pulls this. He has a contract and he should fulfill it to the best of his ability. The nature of the NBA is that anyone can get traded and you play for the team that owns your contract unless physically unable. I think it is interesting because Bruce was always the guy the Spurs trotted out whenever they traded someone who supplied the line that it is a business. Now it applies to him. Honor your contract.

ducks
07-25-2009, 11:13 PM
I would lose respect for Bruce if he pulls this. He has a contract and he should fulfill it to the best of his ability. The nature of the NBA is that anyone can get traded and you play for the team that owns your contract unless physically unable. I think it is interesting because Bruce was always the guy the Spurs trotted out whenever they traded someone who supplied the line that it is a business. Now it applies to him. Honor your contract.
like he could care less
you do not even follow the spurs you follow white players

Dunc n Dave
07-25-2009, 11:18 PM

Like you respected him the first place? 90% of fans outside of San Antonio have spent the last 5+ years crying about how dirty Bowen is.

He's not saying he'll holdout or anything, just that he'd rather retire. Unlike some NBA players, Bruce is a smart guy that finished his degree WHILE he played for the Spurs. He has a future waiting for him after his basketball career is over. He's not desperate to play another year and doesn't NEED the money. He's put himslef in a position where he has the choice to walk away if he doesn't like the situation he's put in, just like any normal person who gets transferred to a different department at their job (or another branch) we have the right to leave if the working conditions are not to our liking.

ploto
07-25-2009, 11:26 PM
Like you respected him the first place?...

...He's put himself in a position where he has the choice to walk away if he doesn't like the situation he's put in, just like any normal person who gets transferred to a different department at their job (or another branch) we have the right to leave if the working conditions are not to our liking.
First, I happen to know Bruce's wife.

Second, that simply is not true in the NBA. He does not have the right- it is not a player option. It is the team's contract to do as they please. They decide whether or not to cut him and only pay half or keep him. If HE wanted to choose, then he should have put a player option in his contract, but he did not.

Dunc n Dave
07-25-2009, 11:33 PM
First, I happen to know Bruce's wife.

Second, that simply is not true in the NBA. He does not have the right- it is not a player option. It is the team's contract to do as they please. They decide whether or not to cut him and only pay half or keep him. If HE wanted to choose, then he should have put a player option in his contract, but he did not.

A player can RETIRE whenever they want to. They can't force him to finish out his contract if he's ready to hang it up. He could sing a 7 year contract, play 1 year, then retire if he wants.

Just like you can quit your job whenever you want to.

The difference is if you quit, you can immediately go work for the competition. If Bruce quits, he can't play in the NBA anymore unless he either plays for his last team (milwaukee right now) or they relinquish his rights.

Still, if an NBA team has the right to buyout his contract, he also has the right to terminiate his contract early and retire. Sure, he'll miss out on the money, but like I siad, he doesn't need the $$$.

Buddy Holly
07-26-2009, 01:08 AM

If he's coaching for any team it's going to be the Spurs.

Buddy Holly
07-26-2009, 01:09 AM
Yeah Bruce could talk big when he was a respected defender. Now that he sucks at every aspect of the game of basketball, we'll see how tough his "I'd rather die than play for LA/Dallas/etc" stance is. If he's desperate enough to keep playing, he'll sign up to be Kobe's ball washer.

But he's not desperate. Dude has two stores to maintain in SA. He'll more than likely retire because he's not moving his family with him wherever he goes and he's said it'd be hard to not be near his family.

Buddy Holly
07-26-2009, 01:10 AM
I would lose respect for Bruce if he pulls this. He has a contract and he should fulfill it to the best of his ability.

He said a contract with the Spurs. He doesn't have to fulfill anything with any other team.

BadOdor
07-26-2009, 01:12 AM
He said a contract with the Spurs. He doesn't have to fulfill anything with any other team.

NsinQ, biatch:lol:lol

dickface
07-26-2009, 01:14 AM
But he's not desperate. Dude has two stores to maintain in SA. He'll more than likely retire because he's not moving his family with him wherever he goes and he's said it'd be hard to not be near his family.

If he's not desperate and has accepted that he now sucks at every aspect of the game of basketball and decides to retire, good for him.

If he really wants to keep playing, he'll go to whatever team will pay him, including Dallas or the Lakers. Again, it's easy to talk tough when you have a skill set that teams actually want.

Dunc n Dave
07-26-2009, 01:46 AM
If he's not desperate and has accepted that he now sucks at every aspect of the game of basketball and decides to retire, good for him.

If he really wants to keep playing, he'll go to whatever team will pay him, including Dallas or the Lakers. Again, it's easy to talk tough when you have a skill set that teams actually want.

You must be single or a teenager, otherwise you would understand. It's pretty simple. Would Bruce like to finish out his contract? Of course, but not if it means uprooting his wife and kids who have been in the SA community for 7+ seasons. He has 2 stores in SA he runs and he has a degree (sports communications/broadcasting, I think). That would be selfish, especially if he doesn't really NEED the money.

So best case scenario for Bruce: he gets bought out (free $$$) and re-signs with SA.

Worst case: he gets traded, tells his new team he's retiring so you may as well waive me, and he starts his life AFTER basketball a year earlier than he planned. He's already been filling in on talk radio as a host and has done a great job.

Either way, his family comes first and they stay in San Antonio, rather than move and live somewhere for a year, only to move BACK to SA next summer.

DxB
07-26-2009, 03:55 AM

Do the words 'shutup faggot' mean anything to you?

exstatic
07-26-2009, 10:12 AM

??? He HATES Pat Riley now. Riley was extremely insulting during and after negotiations in 2001 when Bruce ultimately left for SA, saying things like "we can train up another Bowen in about five minutes".

Bruce has said his roots are in SA now. He and his wife own some commercial real estate, and she has a spa business.

I'm actually surprised that MIL is shopping him. The point of acquiring him was to cut him by 1 AUG to save $2M in salary. They're allegedly in financial trouble, so why would they take on $4M in salary in a trade instead of cutting Bruce for $2M?

exstatic
07-26-2009, 10:22 AM

Ridiculous. He should uproot his family to play out the string of one last year on his contract? Bullshit. Some team gets a free pass on $2M in salary. Why shouldn't Bruce get what he wants?

BlackSwordsMan
07-26-2009, 10:32 AM
bowen for bonner!

exstatic
07-26-2009, 10:54 AM
bowen for bonner!

Shit, I'd do that in about 2 seconds. Makes no sense for MIL, though.

Culburn369
07-26-2009, 11:00 AM
They're allegedly in financial trouble, so why would they take on $4M in salary in a trade instead of cutting Bruce for $2M?

Spite.

DPG21920
07-26-2009, 01:06 PM

WTF are you going on about girl? He said he would ignore the calls if he got bought out. He said he has little desire to play basketball just for the sake of playing basketball. If he is bought out he would be a FA. He can do whatever the hell he wants.

If he is bought out and the Mavs call, he said he would ignore the call. If he is traded, he would show up and do his job.

You are ridiculous.

Spursfan092120
07-26-2009, 01:12 PM
You must be single or a teenager, otherwise you would understand. It's pretty simple. Would Bruce like to finish out his contract? Of course, but not if it means uprooting his wife and kids who have been in the SA community for 7+ seasons. He has 2 stores in SA he runs and he has a degree (sports communications/broadcasting, I think). That would be selfish, especially if he doesn't really NEED the money.

So best case scenario for Bruce: he gets bought out (free $$$) and re-signs with SA.

Worst case: he gets traded, tells his new team he's retiring so you may as well waive me, and he starts his life AFTER basketball a year earlier than he planned. He's already been filling in on talk radio as a host and has done a great job.

Either way, his family comes first and they stay in San Antonio, rather than move and live somewhere for a year, only to move BACK to SA next summer.
I agree 100%...I don't think he's single or a teenager though..I think the guy is just a dickface. :)

exstatic
07-26-2009, 01:15 PM
Spite.

Stupidity, then. It can only be defined as such when your team is drowning financially.

I wonder if they were stupid enough to think Bowen would retire and walk away from the $2M? He's no dummy. He knows that he's not in their plans, and they don't want his $4M on their cap figure.

Maybe they just think they can score another Amir Johnson type of player? Not likely. Detroit had a specific cap figure in mind, and needed to strike early in the FA period. That period is now long gone.

FireDavidStern
07-26-2009, 02:45 PM
If he's coaching for any team it's going to be the Spurs.

Dude do this next time and don't post three times in three minutes.

As to why the Bucks would be shopping Bowen, why not. They can still cut him and save the money or they might find another team (like pre-Gorden, Villuenava Pistons) who want to clear some space to make a signing or just save money. Its not spite its good a FO move. Maybe they can find someone desperate to get under the tax and get an expiring and a pick or decent young player. Do i think they will? No they're going to end up cutting him but thats what we all thought would happen.

exstatic
07-26-2009, 04:36 PM
Dude do this next time and don't post three times in three minutes.

As to why the Bucks would be shopping Bowen, why not. They can still cut him and save the money or they might find another team (like pre-Gorden, Villuenava Pistons) who want to clear some space to make a signing or just save money. Its not spite its good a FO move. Maybe they can find someone desperate to get under the tax and get an expiring and a pick or decent young player. Do i think they will? No they're going to end up cutting him but thats what we all thought would happen.

Not likely anyone is clearing cap space for who's left on the FA market. The next great cap rush will be at the trade deadline, and Bowen's contract becomes fully guaranteed at the end of the week, and won't help in that scenario.

He'll be cut.

Henke
07-26-2009, 04:46 PM

:rollin:rollin

crc21209
07-26-2009, 07:21 PM
Bottom line is...Bruce and his family are already well established and comfortable in San Antonio. I always thought it was S.A. or retirement for Bruce this upcoming year. And by the looks of the Spurs roster, we have probably seen the end of Bruce Bowen.

spursfan1000
07-26-2009, 07:43 PM
That has been news for a while.

Bonner+Williams for Bowen anyone?

Anyways I can see a contender pulling a move for him. Possiblly the Lakers or Magic.

I would hate for the Lakers to get Bowen :(

exstatic
07-26-2009, 10:39 PM

Less than 100 posts, and you're already pinked? WTF? :lmao

Spursmania
07-26-2009, 11:53 PM

New...a Laker fan....pinked. All makes sense.:lmao

hater
07-27-2009, 10:02 AM
I would hate for the Lakers to get Bowen :(

He won't. He already said he would never put on a Laker jersey. And he would never put on a Dallas jersey either. I am 100% sure of that.