PDA

View Full Version : Who is (and isn't) worth a max contract?

LakeShow
07-25-2009, 08:26 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/pgStory?contentId=9839674#sport=NBA&photo=9840882

Who is (and isn't) worth a max contract?

Minimizing maximum deals

Seventeen NBA players were paid under maximum salary contracts last season. There will be 14 next season, including the likes of Jermaine O'Neal, Tracy McGrady, Joe Johnson and Michael Redd. With the salary cap going down next season and likely to keep falling for another year or two, look for teams to be more judicious about offering max money, considering those players will consume so much cap room. Sure, the true superstars in their primes will get it, but what about the rising stars, the fading stars, the secondary stars and the not-quite-great-enoughs? FOXSports.com NBA editor John Galinsky evaluates 15 players and makes the call: Who's max-worthy?

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/9840882 Minimizing maximum deals

Seventeen NBA players were paid under maximum salary contracts last season. There will be 14 next season, including the likes of Jermaine O'Neal, Tracy McGrady, Joe Johnson and Michael Redd. With the salary cap going down next season and likely to keep falling for another year or two, look for teams to be more judicious about offering max money, considering those players will consume so much cap room. Sure, the true superstars in their primes will get it, but what about the rising stars, the fading stars, the secondary stars and the not-quite-great-enoughs? FOXSports.com NBA editor John Galinsky evaluates 15 players and makes the call: Who's max-worthy?

:lol

No: Tim Duncan and Dirk Nowitzki

Both players have been handsomely compensated for years, and rightfully so. Dirk signed his first maximum contract in 2001 and re-upped for the max in 2006. Duncan will make $22.2 million next season, ranking him fourth in the league (behind Tracy McGrady, Kobe Bryant and Jermaine O'Neal, ludicrously). Dirk was the 2007 MVP and Duncan's won four titles, so it's fair to say they earned their dough. But are they worth it now? That's debatable. Nowitzki hasn't led the Mavs past the second round for three years, while Duncan's 33-year-old knees are wearing down. But credit Duncan for knowing he needs help in order to get a fifth ring. He accepted a paycut the next two seasons so the Spurs can re-sign Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker.

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/9836822

Yes: Kevin Garnett, Boston Celtics

So who's worth a maximum contract? Let's start with KG, whose arrival in Boston two summers ago sparked a 44-game turnaround, the team's first title in 22 years and the restoration of Celtic pride. The 2008 NBA defensive player of the year isn't a go-to guy in the clutch, but his all-around skills, ferocious intensity and leadership are exactly what you want from a franchise player. Knee surgery ended his 2009 season prematurely, and if he doesn't completely recover, then you can lump him in with Tim Duncan as 33-year-old power forwards past their prime. But if he returns at full force, Garnett should make the Celtics a serious contender for at least the next two years. And he accepted far less than max money in order to help Boston keep a championship roster around him.
Glenn James - http://msn.foxsports.com/id/9836830

Yuushi12
07-25-2009, 08:28 PM
Rofl.

wijayas
07-25-2009, 10:54 PM
Yes: Kevin Garnett, Boston Celtics
http://msn.foxsports.com/id/9836830[/IMG]

KG gets the max "nod" for posterizing the opponent's point guard. :lmao :lmao

Otaku
07-26-2009, 12:22 AM
And then they say TMac is not overrated.... just lol.

baseline bum
07-26-2009, 01:27 AM
Let me get this straight: 16 and 8.5 is better than 19 and 10.7? Garnett misses 1/3 of the season and the playoffs but Duncan's the washed-up China doll? Must be those 25 extra days Duncan has on Garnett that makes him old as dirt.

baseline bum
07-26-2009, 01:30 AM
Seriously,

Durant - Yes
Roy - No
Duncan - Yes
Nowitzki - Yes
Gasol - No
Pierce - No
Anthony - No
Bosh - Hell No
Williams - No
Paul - Yes
Garnett - Maybe
Wade - Yes
Bryant - Yes
James - Yes

Chieflion
07-26-2009, 01:41 AM
The writer is retarded. Garnett has regressed more than Duncan and Dirk yet he deserves the max.

TDMVPDPOY
07-26-2009, 03:12 AM
stupid shit article

Amaso
07-26-2009, 03:31 AM
Players that I can think of that truly deserve the Max contract as of their current versions of right now.

Kobe
Lebron
Wade
Chris Paul
Dwight Howard

Probably
Tim Duncan
Kevin Garnett
Dirk Nowitzki
Deron Williams
Kevin Durant

Maybe
Brandon Roy
Carmelo Anthony

Lars
07-26-2009, 04:19 AM
Seriously,
Howard - Yes
Durant - Yes
Roy - Yes
Duncan - Yes
Nowitzki - Yes
Gasol - No
Pierce - No
Anthony - No
Bosh - Hell No
Williams - Yes
Paul - Yes
Garnett - No
Wade - Yes
Bryant - Yes
James - Yes

I agree with this guy except for the bolds

Chieflion
07-26-2009, 06:53 AM
I agree with this guy except for the bolds
You are just trying to put down Dwight to make Yao Ming look better.

JamStone
07-26-2009, 09:22 AM
Since when were Spurs fans so much about "stats." With that thinking Al Jefferson is definitely worth a max contract over Tim Duncan.

It's about value. Statistics don't always reflect true value. Spurs fans should know this, especially with a guy like Ginobili, or with how Duncan has sacrificed individual stats for the sake of team and winning.

Personally, I don't think either KG or Duncan are worth the max anymore. Duncan for most of career was absolutely the max, probably from 1998 to around 2006. But not anymore. Neither of them are max players anymore.

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-26-2009, 09:28 AM
Since when were Spurs fans so much about "stats." With that thinking Al Jefferson is definitely worth a max contract over Tim Duncan.

It's about value. Statistics don't always reflect true value. Spurs fans should know this, especially with a guy like Ginobili, or with how Duncan has sacrificed individual stats for the sake of team and winning.

Personally, I don't think either KG or Duncan are worth the max anymore. Duncan for most of career was absolutely the max, probably from 1998 to around 2006. But not anymore. Neither of them are max players anymore.

Agree with everything, except for Duncan not deserving the max. If he's healthy, like in the first half of last season, he's most deffinitely worth it. It's not fair to get the sample size of games he played injured and label him declining.

JamStone
07-26-2009, 09:32 AM
I think fans are often somewhat blinded by loyalty. If Duncan deserves the max, it's for past performance and for the championships he brought and for being a great franchise player, teammate, and representative of the Spurs and of San Antonio, not because of his performance on the court. If you want to praise Duncan for the past, that's one thing. But, based his current level of play, he's not a max player. Still a very, very good player. Just not a max player anymore.

For me, only Kobe, LeBron, Wade, and (maybe) Dwight Howard are really deserving to be max players, based on performance on the court.

TDMVPDPOY
07-26-2009, 09:59 AM
I think fans are often somewhat blinded by loyalty. If Duncan deserves the max, it's for past performance and for the championships he brought and for being a great franchise player, teammate, and representative of the Spurs and of San Antonio, not because of his performance on the court. If you want to praise Duncan for the past, that's one thing. But, based his current level of play, he's not a max player. Still a very, very good player. Just not a max player anymore.

For me, only Kobe, LeBron, Wade, and (maybe) Dwight Howard are really deserving to be max players, based on performance on the court.

BS

duncan will receive the max or big dollars if he can put a team over the top into a championship contending team...look at shaq when he was traded from the lakers to the heat, he demanded 100m/5yrs...he got it...eventually he was only good for 1-2 yrs of that contract and he lived up to the 20m that year, but not worth the rest of the contract thats remaining since age and weight has caught up to him again.

THE difference between duncan and rest of the younger players receiving the max? Duncan is contending for rings, while the other team is rebuilding around their young player while at the same time having to throw max dollars at him to retain him from jumping abandon ship.

Look at dirk for example this season who will become a FA, his going to play his cards, and his going to get paid big money probably 15m+ a season from a team thats 1 piece away from being a contender...you probably say his track record aint good, but there are worster players out there earning big money who does jackshit all.

JamStone
07-26-2009, 10:03 AM
Actually receiving the max and deserving the max are two different things. Shaq hasn't deserved the max since probably 2003.

Duncan alone doesn't make any team a title contender anymore. You could say that about him from 1998-2006. I don't think you can say that about him anymore. And, the Spurs were not legit contenders for rings the previous two years.

It's not about what players will get a max contract. It's about what players "DESERVE" a max contract.

Lars
07-26-2009, 05:08 PM
You are just trying to put down Dwight to make Yao Ming look better.

Explain to me how adding Howard to Bum's list and saying he deserves a max contract is putting down Dwight.

Darrin
07-26-2009, 06:14 PM
In this economy? Kobe Bryant is the first and last member.

Kai
07-26-2009, 08:27 PM
Explain to me how adding Howard to Bum's list and saying he deserves a max contract is putting down Dwight.

I don't think he realized you changed what you bolded in the original quote. You said "I agree with everything except what's bolded" so he thought you meant the opposite.

Kindergarten Cop
07-26-2009, 09:29 PM
In this economy? Kobe Bryant is the first and last member.

I disagree. While Kobe is arguably the best player, there are a few players in his class that pack the house and make the franchise a great deal of money (i.e. LeBron, Wade, CP3 :bang , and perhaps even Yao with the international market). The NBA is a business and while we would like to believe that every team owner is as worried about winning a Championship as its fanbase is, but in reality they are not. The majority of the owners are concerned with the bottom line and I think that players that make millions for the team and the league by bolstering ticket and memorabilia sales should be in that class now more than ever (considering the economy).

Dunc n Dave
07-26-2009, 11:36 PM
Duncan doesn't make the max anymore, he took a paycut. So what's the point?

Shows how much he values winning more than getting paid, unlike some NBA players who talk about wanting to win, then chase the fattest contract.

jonnybravo
07-27-2009, 12:03 AM
Seriously,

Durant - Yes
Roy - No
Duncan - Yes
Nowitzki - Yes
Gasol - No
Pierce - No
Anthony - No
Bosh - Hell No
Williams - No
Paul - Yes
Garnett - Maybe
Wade - Yes
Bryant - Yes
James - Yes

Can't really argue with this list.

FireDavidStern
07-27-2009, 01:57 AM
Who I think deserves a max contract to today

Lebron, Durant, Paul

Howard: Yes when he actually develops an offensive game
Anthony: Yes if he ever becomes a leader
Yao: Yes when he can stay healthy (so never)
Wade: Yes if he wasn't so injury prone
Kobe: Yes if he was under 30
Duncan: See Kobe
Garnett: See above

I actually think that at full heath (see Duncan beginning of the year) Duncan and Garnett deserve it. Kobe plays at that level. I turned this into who should be given a max contract today. Max contracts are 5 or 6 years and Duncan/Garnett would be as overpaid as Shaq currently is after 2 years (max). Kobe would reach there in 3 to 4 years as the numbers of games he has played. Right now its been 12 years and by the time that reaches 15 he won't be a max player anymore.

alchemist
07-27-2009, 05:03 AM
Duncan: No Garnett: Yes.....wow. The disrespect.

Sometimes I wish he would've had a couple rape accusations, snitched on teammates, picked on smaller players than him, screamed out nonsense so he'd get some respect. :wakeup

sabar
07-27-2009, 05:56 AM
This is pretty dumb because max contracts just don't work that way. You give them knowing full well that the player will probably decline towards the end. Its a statement of the worth of the player to the franchise. As long as they produce anywhere close to their prime level they will get max offers and extensions from their clubs.

baseline bum (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=131) has the list pretty much perfect

Culburn369
07-27-2009, 06:00 AM
Duncan: No Garnett: Yes.....wow. The disrespect.

Sometimes I wish he would've had a couple rape accusations, snitched on teammates, picked on smaller players than him, screamed out nonsense so he'd get some respect.

You cheated and got him on a hand down from Stern.

Hush & lay low like a thief.

alchemist
07-27-2009, 06:20 AM

adultery/rape accusations/snitching on shaq >>>> throwing a couple games

:wakeup

Culburn369
07-27-2009, 06:23 AM
adultery/rape accusations/snitching on shaq >>>> throwing a couple games