PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Power Rankings

Knoxxx
07-25-2009, 10:44 PM
1. TP-TD said this is his team, only question is how high will he peak?
2. TD
3. Manu-couple years younger and he might top this list, an amazing player
4. RJ is relevant again!
5. The Dice man cometh!
6. Mason-cuz we are thin at the 2 without him
7. Hill-versatile (damn that was hard to spell) lil booger can play as a 1 or 2
8. Blair-should be able to bang and board from the get go
9. Haislip-the long 3? (SF)
10.Theo-the goalie, strictly
11. Ian-still may have something here, but possible trade fodder
12. Bonner-a 3 that can't guard 3s
13. Finley-a 2/3 that can't guard or get his own shot

Not too shabby if Bonner/Finley is the 12th man!

DAF86
07-25-2009, 10:55 PM
1-Tim
2-Tony
3-Manu
4-RJ
5-Dice
6-Blair
7-Mason
8-Hill
9-Ian
10-Finley
11-Bonner
12-Hairston
13-Haislip
14-Theo
15-Williams-Gist?

Knoxxx
07-25-2009, 11:02 PM
The best part if you ask me is that if we trade Bonner and Finley and Mason is the only real shooter we keep we will fall out of love with the three. Last year we shot far too many 3s. Attacking the basket is a much better option than shooting 3s, but it is nice to have that knock down shooter like Mason on the team, but throw in Bonner and Finley? That's too many players who only shoot 3s. We need to move away from that.

The problem with trading Bonner/Mason/Finley is we give up a lot of outside shooting in that transaction. I added a small edit than Fin can't get his own shot, and share your lack of love for that type of player. The same could be said for Mason, but he can drive and defend better than Fin, and we liked him a lot at SG the first part of the season.

Take away those three, and only Manu and RJ remain with proven NBA 3-point range. So I can't see where we trade all 3 unless we get someone in return that can play SG and hit 3s. Mason is our Manu insurance policy, after those two only Hill and RJ could play the 2 and that is not their natural position.

Knoxxx
07-25-2009, 11:06 PM
1-Tim
2-Tony
3-Manu
4-RJ
5-Dice
6-Blair
7-Mason
8-Hill
9-Ian
10-Finley
11-Bonner
12-Hairston
13-Haislip
14-Theo
15-Williams-Gist?

Solid list. It looks like you are high on Blair/Ian, and far from sold on Haislip/Theo. I'll believe it when I see it when Hairston or Williams makes the active roster, which is where I cut off. Which of those two fits better at SG? That could be the one that defies my prediction.

Actually you listed 16 players, so you are going really deep! LOL

barbacoataco
07-25-2009, 11:16 PM
The best part if you ask me is that if we trade Bonner and Finley and Mason is the only real shooter we keep we will fall out of love with the three. Last year we shot far too many 3s. Attacking the basket is a much better option than shooting 3s, but it is nice to have that knock down shooter like Mason on the team, but throw in Bonner and Finley? That's too many players who only shoot 3s. We need to move away from that.

Good point. I think what happened is they used to get OPEN 3's because Timmy was getting doubled. Last year they were playing him single coverage most of the time and the Spurs were forcing 3's.

Shooting open 3's because someone is getting dounle-teamed is a geat formula, ask the 94-95 Rockets. But shooting 3's that are contested is not a way to win championships.

Knoxxx
07-25-2009, 11:21 PM
We still gotta have SOME 3-point shooting to spread the floor and have an effective inside/outside game. I'll agree that you double team the new Big 5 at your own peril, it should be a very balanced and effective offensive arsenal.

ohmwrecker
07-26-2009, 12:18 AM
You guys need to seriously just forget about James Gist. It ain't happening.

peskypesky
07-26-2009, 12:45 AM
1. Duncan
2. Parker
3. Jefferson
4. Manu
5. McDyess
6. Mason
7. Blair
8. Hill
9. Finley
10. Bonner
11. Ian
12. Hairston
13. Haislip
14. Thorpe

I rated RJ higher than Manu just because I'm not convinced Manu won't break down again.

TDMVPDPOY
07-26-2009, 12:51 AM
TD has a good chance of winning DPOY this year if he becomes facilitator and the new guys have to pick up his slack in production, duncan will have more energy to roam in the paint

HarlemHeat37
07-26-2009, 01:14 AM
It's too difficult to rank, because they all have different roles..even if you rank them in importance to the team, it's too difficult..

Knoxxx
07-26-2009, 01:15 AM
It's too difficult to rank, because they all have different roles..even if you rank them in importance to the team, it's too difficult..

That's OK HH, just sleep it off and try again in the morning. ;-)

Darkwaters
07-26-2009, 03:42 AM
You guys need to seriously just forget about James Gist. It ain't happening.

Agreed. Gist is Europe, or at best Austin, bound this season.

SpurCharger
07-26-2009, 04:51 PM
1- Tony Parker
2- Tim Duncan
3- Manu Ginobili
4- Richard Jefferson
5- Antonio McDyess
6- Roger Mason
7- DeJuan Blair
8- Michael Finley
9- George Hill
10- Ian Mahinmi
11- Marcus Haislip
12- Malik Hairston

No Gist because He isnt Even Top 3 on our summer league team......... And I Left Bonner off for A reason He can Shoot and That Is it..... he cannot Do anything else, he Is A Liability doing Anything else.....

lefty
07-26-2009, 06:17 PM
Tim.

Spursfan 87
07-26-2009, 09:05 PM
I would not trade Finley or Mason. They are clutch shooters, especially Finley.