PDA

View Full Version : The thing that excites me the most this upcoming season about Roger Mason...

Amuseddaysleeper
07-26-2009, 10:40 AM
...is that he's in a contract year.

I think that's obviously gonna be some extra motivation to have a great/consistent season. I believe Manu is in a contract year as well, so all this extra incentive to continue playing at a high level should make things very interesting for SA.

Libri
07-26-2009, 12:01 PM
I'm excited to see him play as a shooting guard and not as a backup point guard. :)

barbacoataco
07-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Agree. Players always seem to step up in contract years. Mason stands to gain or lose a lot based on how he plays this season. He built up some credibility last year during the reg season. But then he kind of ? marked it in the playoffs.

Steve-O-Matic
07-26-2009, 12:09 PM
Mason needs to make a more concerted effort on the boards and attacking off the dribble instead of just being a catch-and-shoot player floating around the perimeter. If he can do that he could set himself up for a decent payday.

jag
07-26-2009, 12:16 PM
I'm excited to see him actually play his position. He was a beast when all he had to worry about was knocking down 3's. Pop really messed with his head by turning him into the backup PG.

Mason needs to make a more concerted effort on the boards and attacking off the dribble instead of just being a catch-and-shoot player floating around the perimeter. If he can do that he could set himself up for a decent payday.

He's not that type of player. The Spurs have enough guys who can attack the lane...they need someone who can float around the perimeter and knock down the open 3.

Amuseddaysleeper
07-26-2009, 12:27 PM
Yeah, as long as Mason can stay as a SG we should be fine

Marcus Bryant
07-26-2009, 12:54 PM
If Mason is allowed to focus on being a 2, I think he'll have a great season. When he gets hot, he gets hot.

DPG21920
07-26-2009, 12:57 PM
In theory, Mason should have a very effective year. With adding RJ, another guy that can score and defenses have to watch, that should free Mason up for some pretty nice looks. RMJ is not good enough to be a main offensive player that guys can game plan against. When he is just a threat, and defenses are not geared to shut him down, he should do very, very well.

K-State Spur
07-26-2009, 01:00 PM
Mason was a bit up and down last year. But does he really strike you as a player/person who needed extra motivation?

Steve-O-Matic
07-26-2009, 01:01 PM
He's not that type of player. The Spurs have enough guys who can attack the lane...they need someone who can float around the perimeter and knock down the open 3.
Disagree. To me the Spurs have been far too reliant on long-range shooting, and I feel that Mason has better ball-handling skills than he's given credit for and could do a better job at driving to the basket and using his good size to create higher percentage shots for himself and others. As last season wore on I felt that Mason underachieved on the offensive end by spending increasingly more time 'floating' a la Bowen and he ultimately finished the season with a terrible PER as a result of it. I think he's capable of lot more than that, and a contract year is the ideal time to prove it. We'll see what happens.

Nathan Explosion
07-26-2009, 01:16 PM
Disagree. To me the Spurs have been far too reliant on long-range shooting, and I feel that Mason has better ball-handling skills

At what point in time, when he was playing the point (you know, the position that handles the ball the most) did you get the idea he was a good ball handler.

Believe me, I like Mason. But the most dribbling I want to see him do is maybe two dribbles after a pump fake and into a shot.

Let him do what he excels at and try not to make him a player that he isn't. That's what hurt him last year.

Let Mason shoot the ball the way he's capable of doing.

Steve-O-Matic
07-26-2009, 01:24 PM
I never said he was Bob Cousy with the ball but I absolutely think he's capable off doing more off the dribble and closer to the basket than just limiting himself to being a one-dimensional catch-and-shooter from downtown.

DPG21920
07-26-2009, 01:26 PM
Mason is a terrible finisher at the rim as well. Sure, if he gets a wide open lane, go for it, but I would rather him just catch and shoot.

lefty
07-26-2009, 01:35 PM
Mason's ball handling skills are good enough for a shooter, but not good enough for a PG

Pop has to stop messing around for 2 reasons:

- Maze is 100000 times better as a SG

- Hill needs to play more

DxB
07-26-2009, 01:37 PM
I never said he was Bob Cousy with the ball but I absolutely think he's capable off doing more off the dribble and closer to the basket than just limiting himself to being a one-dimensional catch-and-shooter from downtown.

That experiment has failed, and as much as you wanna defend your point, you really can't.

Catch and shoot, thats what he does, and thats all. Instead of makin the dude play off his strengths and let the game come easily to him, you'd rather force him play off his weaknesses and watch him fuck up consistently at it like last season. Its called learning from mistakes and NOT REPEATING them...

EricB
07-26-2009, 01:40 PM
People act like him playing point guard was the first time he'd ever done it. He did it in Washington the year BEFORE.

That being said, he should start this year at the 2, focus on the 2, and he should be fine with not as much pressure to produce with many more options surrounding him like Jefferson and others.

all_heart
07-26-2009, 01:48 PM
He's screwed if he doesn't knock down open shots this year. His job should be knocking down shots and keeping the D honest to give TD room to operate in the post. The Spurs are a much more dangerous team with TP or GH running the point, with Roger in the wings waiting for the pass.

MaNu4Tres
07-26-2009, 01:54 PM
People act like him playing point guard was the first time he'd ever done it. He did it in Washington the year BEFORE.

There's a misconception with the label of point guard. I don't mind Mason dribbling the ball up the court if that's what you consider being a point guard.

That's the misconception here. If Hill or Tony get in foul trouble, I don't mind Mason bringing up the ball if that means it gives us three bonified shooters on the wing, who can space the floor. As long as he isn't being the CREATOR in pick and roll situations.

That's another thing that people don't understand or take into consideration. Mason is fine dribbling the ball up the court, the time he struggled was when he had to be the creator in P&R situations and the teams scouted him already and MADE him put it on the floor by going over on the screen.

Bringing up the ball Mason can do, being the creator/ penetrator is something he cannot. That being said I'm fine with him dribbling the ball up the floor and passing it off to Jefferson or Manu so they can create, while he spots up. *Something Maurice Williams and Delonte West and Boobie Gibson all do in Cleveland for example.

lefty
07-26-2009, 01:55 PM
I don't mind Mason dribbling the ball up the court if that's what you consider being a point guard.

That's the misconception here. If Hill or Tony get in foul trouble, I don't mind Mason bringing up the ball if that means it gives us three bonified shooters on the wing, who can space the floor. As long as he isn't being the CREATOR in pick and roll situations.

That's another thing that people don't understand or take into consideration. Mason is fine dribbling the ball up the court, the time he STRUGGLED was when he had to be the CREATOR in P&R situations and the teams SCOUTED him already and MADE him put it on the floor by going OVER on the screen.

Bringing up the ball Mason can do, being the creator/ penetrator is something he cannot.

Amen

However, he is good at creating his shot off the pick'n'roll

MaNu4Tres
07-26-2009, 01:59 PM
Amen

However, he is good at creating his shot off the pick'n'roll

When they are playing a bad lazy defensive team that hardly helps or hedges or go over the pick in pick and rolls YES. ( then he gets off his dribble pull up) Otherwise no he's not.

Whisky Dog
07-26-2009, 02:01 PM
Mason's not just a catch and shoot player, he's got a nice shot off the dribble. That means he should also excel in the midrange game with people running to close out his 3 pt range. I agree he's not a finisher at the rim but the 10 to 20' pull up off the drive is well within his wheelhouse.

lotr1trekkie
07-26-2009, 02:12 PM
An asssumed starting lineup of Tim/Dice/RJ/Mase & Tony gives us only Mason as a 3pt shooter. Does it matter? The Spurs took too many 3s last year. Anytime they took more than 15 they were struggling to generate offense. The players we've added indicates to me Pop is moving towards more intermediate/inside scoring. Despite our changes we still have only 2 players who can get to the lane regularely. Goooo George!!!

Texas_Ranger
07-26-2009, 02:14 PM
An asssumed starting lineup of Tim/Dice/RJ/Mase & Tony gives us only Mason as a 3pt shooter. Does it matter? The Spurs took too many 3s last year. Anytime they took more than 15 they were struggling to generate offense. The players we've added indicates to me Pop is moving towards more intermediate/inside scoring. Despite our changes we still have only 2 players who can get to the lane regularely. Goooo George!!!

Jefferson is also a 3 pt shooter.

EricB
07-26-2009, 02:16 PM

Mase and RJ shoot threes wich would perfectly have the offense opened for Duncan and McDyess and Tony to operate.

Also RJ is a slasher so he can get the ball at the 3 point line and hit the hole and get to the line.

October can't get here quick enough...

jag
07-26-2009, 02:43 PM
Disagree. To me the Spurs have been far too reliant on long-range shooting, and I feel that Mason has better ball-handling skills than he's given credit for and could do a better job at driving to the basket and using his good size to create higher percentage shots for himself and others.

He's a 6'5 SG...how is that "good size?" It doesn't really seem like you have a good understanding of Mason as a player. He's neither a slasher, nor a great finisher around the rim. He's a great shooter and the only time when he should be creating off the dribble is when he's using a screen to get his shot off.

Spursfan 87
07-26-2009, 03:04 PM
Mason is just a good spot up three point shooter. He can't do anything more. He can't defend, he can't rebound and he can't drive to the basket.

Pop tried to turn him into Brent Barry last season, a really bad experiment. Mason just needs to concentrate on his shooting and he should be just fine.

Also I dont see the spurs re-signing Mason at the end of the season, they already had tried to trade him several times. Also I think that the spurs expect Jack McClinton to be ready for next season to replace Mason.

Amuseddaysleeper
07-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Mason was a bit up and down last year. But does he really strike you as a player/person who needed extra motivation?

No, he played pretty well last year until the playoffs arrived. I just think with the extra incentive of a contract year he knows this is a golden opportunity for himself to secure a 3 year (or even more) contract.

It's amazing how terrible last year's offseason felt, and how this one has me the most excited since Finley signed with SA in the 2005 offseason.

:flag:

cherylsteele
07-26-2009, 03:51 PM
Disagree. To me the Spurs have been far too reliant on long-range shooting, and I feel that Mason has better ball-handling skills than he's given credit for and could do a better job at driving to the basket and using his good size to create higher percentage shots for himself and others. As last season wore on I felt that Mason underachieved on the offensive end by spending increasingly more time 'floating' a la Bowen and he ultimately finished the season with a terrible PER as a result of it. I think he's capable of lot more than that, and a contract year is the ideal time to prove it. We'll see what happens.
If you think Mason is a good ball handler then you would not mind me playing for the Spurs.

Amuseddaysleeper
07-26-2009, 03:51 PM
Harlem, do you not think he has the potential to be a solid defender? I know you said he proved to be an average individual defender, but I remember a game against Kobe he did very well (perhaps I was mistaken).

I think he has the tools to be a a very adequate defender on the perimeter, but when his offense goes so does his defense. He's like Finley in that regard (though Finley is a much worse defender).

I agree with you on how his role will be much easier this season as Hill proved he deserves the backup PG minutes.

superbigtime
07-26-2009, 04:13 PM
I really don't know what to expect from Mason this year. He was very unreliable last third of the season and the playoffs especially.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
07-26-2009, 04:14 PM
I never want to see RMJ play the point again. Every time I saw him drive to the basket he got blocked, seriously every time.

howbouthemspurs
07-26-2009, 04:23 PM
come together right now .....over me!

07-26-2009, 04:23 PM
udoka was in a contract year and that didn't help him.

SenorSpur
07-26-2009, 04:29 PM
I never want to see RMJ play the point again. Every time I saw him drive to the basket he got blocked, seriously every time.

Exactly. It's difficult to find any criticisms with Pop and the Spurs coaching staff, but if I had to pick something it would be that - asking players to do things, take on more responsibilities, that are outside of their skill set. Mason playing the backup PG position is an obvious example.

I don't care what experience Mason had running PG while with the Blizzards, the fact remains is he was absolutely TERRIBLE at it for the Spurs. It's was very clear to anyone who watched that that role was not his strong suit. In fact, his dribble drives were damn near as much of a disaster on most nights, too. And Pop was worried about Hill? Sheesh!

The bottom line is he's a deadly spot up shooter with great range and a poor defender. Allow him to do what he does best. Don't ask him to do more than he's capable of.

peskypesky
07-26-2009, 04:36 PM
In theory, Mason should have a very effective year. With adding RJ, another guy that can score and defenses have to watch, that should free Mason up for some pretty nice looks. RMJ is not good enough to be a main offensive player that guys can game plan against. When he is just a threat, and defenses are not geared to shut him down, he should do very, very well.

Absolutely. Teams trying to defend the Spurs will be fucked. They have to be ready at any second for Parker's lightning drive to the bucket. If they manage to get in front of him and block his path, he can dump it off to Timmy. If the defense converges on Timmy, he kicks it out to Mason on the 3pt line. If a defender manages to get in front of Mason, he dishes it off to RJ for another drive to the hoop. And on and on. How the fuck are you going to defend this team? And I haven't even mentioned McDyess or Manu!

:flag:

angelbelow
07-26-2009, 05:01 PM
I agree, the contract year is extra motivation. But I hope he doesn't play out of his role. He is best when he is a spot up shooter giving above average effort on defense.

dbestpro
07-26-2009, 05:20 PM
Jordan was once asked if he worked on the things he did well or the things he he did not so well. He said he focused on the things he did well because that is what set him apart from the next player.

This is the same for Mason. I just want to see him as instant deadly long range offense. Forget about the dribble, drive, forget about the back up point. Just do what you do best and catch and shoot. You could probably say the same for Bonner if he is able to see the floor.

1Parker1
07-26-2009, 08:45 PM
:lmao I'd laugh if Pop tries out Richard Jefferson as backup PG at one point during this season.

benefactor
07-26-2009, 08:49 PM
...he is a Laker killer. :tu

I can actually picture him sticking the Lakers with a dagger three in a playoff game next season. I'll even go as far as predicting he will.

mystargtr34
07-26-2009, 09:24 PM
Harlem, do you not think he has the potential to be a solid defender? I know you said he proved to be an average individual defender, but I remember a game against Kobe he did very well (perhaps I was mistaken).

I think he has the tools to be a a very adequate defender on the perimeter, but when his offense goes so does his defense. He's like Finley in that regard (though Finley is a much worse defender).

I agree with you on how his role will be much easier this season as Hill proved he deserves the backup PG minutes.

He moves his feet quite well, but he doesnt have great size, length or quick jumping ability - so no, i dont think he has the tools to be anything more than an adequate defender.

In other words, if he is forced to defend Kobe for long stretches, then the Spurs wont be beating the Lakers.

pawe
07-26-2009, 10:40 PM
I am excited to see RMJ play a contract year with the new squad. I dont think Pop will make him play pg again since Hill is steadily proving he will be a backup for TP.

Mason is my favorite Spur last season and will still be my favorite for this year because of his quick release 3's on the elbows. He will almost always gonna be an option for the offense whether its 4 down or dish and drives.
RMJ FTMFW!

K-State Spur
07-26-2009, 10:42 PM
No, he played pretty well last year until the playoffs arrived. I just think with the extra incentive of a contract year he knows this is a golden opportunity for himself to secure a 3 year (or even more) contract.

i get what you're saying, but it still implies that he left something to be desired in his work ethic for last season. his game isn't perfect, but i never saw that as one of his problems.

buujness
07-27-2009, 03:16 PM
I really like Mason as a shooter, because not only can he shoot the 3, but he can, as a couple of other posters mentioned, shoot off the dribble as good as any role player in the NBA.

Yes, he did perform poorly in the last month or so of the season and the playoffs, but one thing that hasn't been brought up by anyone that I've seen is that he played far more minutes last year than he had ever played in the NBA.

http://www.databasebasketball.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=MASONRO01

If you scroll down to the second chart, it shows that last year, RMJ played 9 more minutes a game than he did the year previous (which had been his personal MPG best before last year). Does anyone else think that he just got worn down physically due to the massive uptick in minutes?

bishopospurs
07-27-2009, 03:23 PM
Mason doesn't strike me as a contractually motivated player.

mudyez
07-27-2009, 03:46 PM
There's a misconception with the label of point guard. I don't mind Mason dribbling the ball up the court if that's what you consider being a point guard.

That's another thing that people don't understand or take into consideration. Mason is fine dribbling the ball up the court, the time he struggled was when he had to be the creator in P&R situations and the teams scouted him already and MADE him put it on the floor by going over on the screen.

Bringing up the ball Mason can do, being the creator/ penetrator is something he cannot. That being said I'm fine with him dribbling the ball up the floor and passing it off to Jefferson or Manu so they can create, while he spots up. *Something Maurice Williams and Delonte West and Boobie Gibson all do in Cleveland for example.

Yeah, as a 3rd string PG he should be fine (together with Manu)...even while Tony and Hill usually should be able to handle the 48 minutes themself...And dont forget: things like the handchecking rule help players like him!...basically every SG should be able to bring the ball up the court without loosing it...and lineups with Maon, Manu and Jefferson have a lot...I mean A LOT of firepower.
the creating could run through Timmy...We are great with running the offense from inside out anyway, so we dont need Jason Kidd/Steve Nash himself.

adequate...yeah, thats where I see him...not more not less...I can remember him defending LeBron when he was with the Wizards. does it say a lot? NO, as the wizards had so few good defenders and Lebron won the series. But overall I didn't see his defense beeing a problem, even while he isnt a Kobe stopper or something like that.

@OP:
first of all its kind of sad seeing players beeing able to add some more % to their play, only coz its a contract year....but after all, thats just the way it is and as long as its not like with Jerome James, which earned a big contract in only one series which they lost(against us), we should be ok.

(reminds me of Jerry Maguire)

but what does it mean for RMJ? I see him playing less minutes with Jefferson in and Manu hopefully playing more games than last year.
But what exactely does it mean for hi mgaming? Actually I dont like it...He seems very headstrong and wont get the pressure get to him, BUT he is a shooter and shooters earn their money with shooting. We have Tony and Timmy which are two of the most efficient scorers in the game, add Jefferson and Dyess and ask yourself what we need to complement them? a volume shooter, which is forcing shots, coz he wants to get a big contract? NO!!!
Last ear that was ok, coz we needed more scoring with Manu out, Tony sometimes out, Timmy handycaped, and not other 3rd option. This year that shouldnt be the case.
The whole contract thing works with hussle players and slasher, which are asked to be aggressive. I agree, that Roger isnt just a simple catch and soot player, but that could be the problem, when he tries to get the shot himself rather than playing the pass.
Why do we bring Manu from the bench? Yeah, its coz we have enough firepower with the starting 5 and he should come in when guys like Tony or Timmy leave. But its not different with Roger.

I dont want to start trade talks, but I'd rather have a real stopper with range as the 5th starter, than one more scorer, which is an "adequade" defender.

Dont expect a lot more from RMJ coz of the contract year! He should be fine, but not much more.

btw.: Dont you think, a player would be in Pops doghouse emidiately, if Pops recognizes, that the player can play better just coz of his contract status?

Old School 44
07-27-2009, 03:55 PM
I'd like Mason to focus on the three ball.
The only dribbling I want to see from Mason, is an escape dribble as the defender's closing out on the 3-pt line, pulling up for a mid range shot to keep teams honest.
I always thought Bowen could have done this from the corners if he had a better shot.

tmtcsc
07-27-2009, 04:09 PM
I'd be excited if he decided to show up for the playoffs. Reg season doesn't mean shit if you are going to get lost in the show. Players step up and make things happen.

Just sayin

mudyez
07-27-2009, 04:13 PM
I'd like Mason to focus on the three ball.
The only dribbling I want to see from Mason, is an escape dribble as the defender's closing out on the 3-pt line, pulling up for a mid range shot to keep teams honest.
I always thought Bowen could have done this from the corners if he had a better shot.

basically I agree, but if that is all you want him to do, we should be able to sign some 50 year old vet. we need well rounded players, that can make the right passes, run the court and defend.

Old School 44
07-27-2009, 04:32 PM
basically I agree, but if that is all you want him to do, we should be able to sign some 50 year old vet. we need well rounded players, that can make the right passes, run the court and defend.

Sure, I'd love for him to be able to do more and be more well-rounded. But unless his game has changed over the summer, I'd like him to stick to his strengths - shooting and more shooting.

PDXSpursFan
07-27-2009, 05:17 PM
Mason should do just fine as backup SG.

mudyez
07-27-2009, 05:27 PM
Mason should do just fine as backup SG.

I guess rightnow he is our starting PG...I like Manu coming in as 6th man and it makes sense.

ohmwrecker
07-27-2009, 05:27 PM
I don't know if I am excited about Roger Mason anymore. He better not disappear in the playoffs this year. I know . . . "but Pop played him at PG and blah, blah, blah". That may account for something, but it does not excuse all those terrible shots, missed defensive assignments, turnovers and fouls. The fact is, Mase choked in the playoffs.

lefty
07-27-2009, 06:44 PM
When they are playing a bad lazy defensive team that hardly helps or hedges or go over the pick in pick and rolls YES. ( then he gets off his dribble pull up) Otherwise no he's not.
What about that shot vs the Celtics?

It was off the picknroll; and the Celts are not a bad lazy D team

45 bank shot
07-27-2009, 06:51 PM
I'm sure mason will be solid as long as he doesn't play PG

tmtcsc
07-27-2009, 10:19 PM
Mason was AWFUL during the playoffs. No ifs ands or butts about it. He was a shell of the player he was during the regular season. Same with Bonner. Gawd Awful. It was Tony and Tim and a little bit of George Hill.