PDA

View Full Version : Parker Suffers Ankle Sprain

buttsR4rebounding
07-26-2009, 01:13 PM
http://projectspurs.com/2009-articles/july/parker-suffers-mild-injury-in-eurobasket-qualifier.html

Parker suffers mild injury in International Tourney
Written by Michael A. De Leon
Saturday, 25 July 2009 20:53
As if seeing Manu Ginobili getting injured in international play last summer wasn't enough, Spurs guard Tony Parker suffered a right ankle injury against Austria in the first game of an International Tournament in Strasbourg in preparation for EuroBasket 2009.

According to an online report, Parker felt pain in his left thigh 12 minutes into the game. Because of the extent of the thigh pain, Parker never realized he also suffered a mild sprained right ankle.

The sprain is reportedly mild, with no tearing or ligament damage and an MRI done today revealed no major injury, and Parker is expected to return for the game vs. Italy.

We'll be sure to report more as it becomes available.

Sense
07-26-2009, 01:13 PM
that link doesnt work.. hmmmmmm

jimo2305
07-26-2009, 01:16 PM
try this

http://projectspurs.com/2009-articles/july/parker-suffers-mild-injury-in-eurobasket-qualifier.html

Spursmania
07-26-2009, 01:17 PM
That sucks. Though mild, he should be resting up for the season if he really wants a Championship. I wish he'd learn from Manu's issues. The last thing we need is our treasured point guard going down.

Kori Ellis
07-26-2009, 01:18 PM
There's already a lot about it here: http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131672

DPG21920
07-26-2009, 01:19 PM
This was already in another thread.

buttsR4rebounding
07-26-2009, 01:20 PM
that link doesnt work.. hmmmmmm

Sorry, I fixed it.

buttsR4rebounding
07-26-2009, 01:22 PM
This was already in another thread.

If it was then lock it. I looked, but did not see it.

DxB
07-26-2009, 01:22 PM
That sucks. Though mild, he should be resting up for the season if he really wants a Championship. I wish he'd learn from Manu's issues. The last thing we need is our treasured point guard going down.

Its hard to turn down your national team. Manu's 32 so its a little easier for him to say no and rest this summer, but Tony's the star of his country and has a lot of pressure on him to help elevate the bullshit french national team. He has to do it and its unfair to ask him not to... That said I wish he'd take it easy a little!

xtremesteven33
07-26-2009, 01:24 PM
:td

Spursmania
07-26-2009, 01:51 PM
Its hard to turn down your national team. Manu's 32 so its a little easier for him to say no and rest this summer, but Tony's the star of his country and has a lot of pressure on him to help elevate the bullshit french national team. He has to do it and its unfair to ask him not to... That said I wish he'd take it easy a little!

Yeah, it must be hard not play for your national team. I don't blame him for it. It's understandable that he would want to play. I just hope he stays healthy this year.

completely deck
07-26-2009, 02:02 PM
Yeah, it must be hard not play for your national team. I don't blame him for it. It's understandable that he would want to play. I just hope he stays healthy this year.

Aren't you people the same ones who chastised Manu for playing last year?

Texas_Ranger
07-26-2009, 02:03 PM
Just say no to National team!

phyzik
07-26-2009, 02:07 PM

While I didnt hate Manu for playing I think the difference here is that Manu went to play knowing he was already hurt whereas Tony wasnt injured before he went to play.

DPG21920
07-26-2009, 02:07 PM
Nothing wrong with playing for the NT. Just be smart. Don't let your competitive juices cloud your judgment. He has not played competitive basketball for a little while and he needs to ease himself back into it and take time off when he gets these minor injuries so that they do not turn into problematic ones.

spursfan1000
07-26-2009, 02:18 PM
OMG if he gets hurt serious im going to kick his ass

Ghazi
07-26-2009, 02:20 PM
get used to it, gonna be a long year boys.

scottspurs
07-26-2009, 02:22 PM
WTF, shut him down.

gospursgojas
07-26-2009, 02:26 PM
Fuck this!

superbigtime
07-26-2009, 02:39 PM
Crummy news. Don't push it Tony.

Taking it to the Hole
07-26-2009, 02:56 PM
It's not that big of a deal. Players sprain their ankles all the time. The story said it was a mild sprain which means that he can still put weight on the ankle. It isn't like he tore his ACL or Achilles. Those things would be reason to go crazy.

timaios
07-26-2009, 03:38 PM
Oh fuck, the playoffs start in 9 months and he has a little spained ankle who needs 1 or 2 weeks of rest to heal.
The sky is falling, the season starts in 97 days and Tony has a sprained ankle...
Why, why, why, why...

Oh and :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

urunobili
07-26-2009, 03:55 PM
TP will be fine... I hope he makes it back soon and leads France to the Euro tournament

sonic21
07-26-2009, 04:01 PM
tony next game will be against italy (august 5th), he'll not play the other friendly games.

Tully365
07-26-2009, 05:00 PM
From the way some fans react to ordinary news like this, you'd think they expect players to live in an oxygen tent the entire off season.

Dro210
07-26-2009, 05:07 PM
NBA teams need to put it into guys contracts that if they want to fuck around like this and play for any other teams in the offseason... fine, we can't stop you... but if you get hurt... we don't have to pay you until you're back healthy and performing for THE TEAM THAT ACTUALLY PAYS YOU. You know, those millions and millions of dollars that make your life what it is?

This shit pisses me off... regardless if he got injured or not, he doesn't need to be playing in this shit. He was already very noticably exhausted at the end of the season last year and it effected his play, especially towards the end of games. Rest!

Sisk
07-26-2009, 05:11 PM
NBA teams need to put it into guys contracts that if they want to fuck around like this and play for any other teams in the offseason... fine, we can't stop you... but if you get hurt... we don't have to pay you until you're back healthy and performing for THE TEAM THAT ACTUALLY PAYS YOU. You know, those millions and millions of dollars that make your life what it is?

This shit pisses me off... regardless if he got injured or not, he doesn't need to be playing in this shit. He was already very noticably exhausted at the end of the season last year and it effected his play, especially towards the end of games. Rest!

took the words out of my mouth

these guys have an obligation to their teams that they have contracts with and get paid millions to play with

i understand country pride but the bottom line is you belong to another team

Mhak
07-26-2009, 05:14 PM
Im sorry to say with this one but i dont agree with most of my fellow spurs fan on this one.. National team or Pick up game.. If you love playing basketball, you well not turn it down.. It does not matter what the outcome is.. Players dont think about getting injured.. they play because they love the game.. 'nough said.

Tully365
07-26-2009, 05:21 PM

So you don't want Lebron, DWade, Bosh, Chris Paul, and others representing the USA in the Olympics anymore? Should the US national team be composed of a bunch of YMCA all-stars from all over the country?

Sisk
07-26-2009, 05:22 PM
Im sorry to say with this one but i dont agree with most of my fellow spurs fan on this one.. National team or Pick up game.. If you love playing basketball, you well not turn it down.. It does not matter what the outcome is.. Players dont think about getting injured.. they play because they love the game.. 'nough said.

you might be singing a different tune if Tony had a season ending injury that he received playing an international tournament

DPG21920
07-26-2009, 05:24 PM
you might be singing a different tune if Tony had a season ending injury that he received playing an international tournament

So the Olympics are not important?

Tully365
07-26-2009, 05:29 PM
There's such an obvious element of childish Nationalism when it comes to these arguments. When the USA team wins the gold with a team of nba allstars, people say it's "insprational," but when a foreign allstar wants to represent his own country and play with pride in front of his own family, friends, and country-mates, they are criticised for being selfish or reckless.

DAF86
07-26-2009, 05:33 PM
Son of a mother fucking bitch.

14dave
07-26-2009, 05:37 PM
I was at Strasbourg for the tournament. TP's injury isn't serious at all, It's a very light injury. He and the french staff just want to not take any risk at all.
I he really wanted he could play the next day, but just to be sure he will rest one week.

Kori Ellis
07-26-2009, 05:37 PM
The Spurs know about the injury and it's said to be very minor. Nothing for people to flip out about.

Mhak
07-26-2009, 05:38 PM

Have you ever played basketball.. or even when you were a kid.. Did you think about getting injured at all. You play because you want to play.

Dude put yourself on his shoes.. He does not worry about that ish..

You worry because your a fan. You do not want your star player to get injured at all.. Dam accidents happens anywhere without knowing it. Getting injured can happen in NBA as well.

DPG21920
07-26-2009, 05:39 PM
I was at Strasbourg for the tournament. TP's injury isn't serious at all, It's a very light injury. He and the french staff just want to not take any risk at all.
I he really wanted he could play the next day, but just to be sure he will rest one week.

:toast See, that is what I am talking about. He is still working himself back into top shape for these tough competitions where he has to play a big role. I am glad to hear he is being smart. This is another small set back from a conditioning standpoint, but he can get through it.

Injuries will happen, but you must do what you can in order to minimize the damage/chances of occurring. Glad to hear he is doing the right thing.

spurtech09
07-26-2009, 05:54 PM
tony will be fine ...if he was real hurt he wouldn't play but its just a little injury.....tony parker be safe and have some fun playing some b ball .....

anakha
07-26-2009, 06:24 PM
The Spurs know about the injury and it's said to be very minor. Nothing for people to flip out about.

Too late. :lmao

Cant_Be_Faded
07-26-2009, 06:59 PM
You have got to be fucking kidding me

i never cease to be disgusted when people choose to live in this make-believe world where accumulation of injuries on a players body is never something to worry about in the sport of basketball, when said injury is to a particularly vulnerable joint of the human anatomy.

This sucks

Spurs_9_20_21
07-26-2009, 07:02 PM
Too late. :lmao
I know! :lol
I wish players would just take it easy though. I realize they want to play for their teams but...it's not like their going for one of these....:lobt2:
or are they? :lol

alchemist
07-26-2009, 07:07 PM
Did anyone see last seasons All-Star Break meetings on NBAtv? They asked him to to try break a speed record and he declined saying Pop would kill him if he injured himself. I don't worry about Parker, he won't risk his future if it's serious.

Spursmania
07-26-2009, 07:16 PM

Uhh, no....:rolleyes

Spursmania
07-26-2009, 07:21 PM
http://justjared.buzznet.com/headlines/2007/07/tony-parker-ass.jpg

I'm sure Tony is doing just fine. He's probably doing this:

Capt Bringdown
07-26-2009, 07:26 PM
Very disappointing.

You can't achieve anything without sacrifice. Sacrificing playing on your international team in order to make an all-out effort to win an NBA title seems like a reasonable and meaningful sacrifice to me.

Minor injury perhaps, but minor injuries can tend to snowball into bigger problems.
Not good.

justanotherspursfan
07-26-2009, 07:43 PM
Sacrificing playing on your international team in order to make an all-out effort to win an NBA title seems like a reasonable and meaningful sacrifice to me.

He's a major celebrity and national hero in France. Playing for his national team is a really big deal.

Yeah, we've got a pretty good shot at a title this year. But this is the Spurs. Pretty much every year is a possible title year, so if we ask him not to play on his national team because we're chasing a title, he would never play.

skinsfan1
07-26-2009, 10:31 PM
This is shitty news, cmon keep him healthy

raspsa
07-26-2009, 11:33 PM
Tony says he's still young and he'll worry about injuries when he's an old man like manu ..LOL

ElNono
07-26-2009, 11:59 PM

The NBA already mandates this by means of national teams being required to obtain insurance in order to allow the players to play. So if it's the money you're concerned about, you shouldn't be. Now if you're thinking of that more as a deterrent I don't think that's going to work either.

350slk
07-27-2009, 12:07 AM
it's ok like he said: I'm young

buujness
07-27-2009, 12:21 AM
There's such an obvious element of childish Nationalism when it comes to these arguments. When the USA team wins the gold with a team of nba allstars, people say it's "insprational," but when a foreign allstar wants to represent his own country and play with pride in front of his own family, friends, and country-mates, they are criticised for being selfish or reckless.
+1

How can you fault a bigtime NBA star playing for national pride? Don't we lavish accolades for LeBron, Wade, Howard, Paul, etc for playing for national pride and the name on the front of the jersey? Then why don't we do the same thing for Parker and Ginobili? Perhaps it is the fans that are being selfish, and not the players sacrificing time and effort in order to play for their countries.

duncan228
07-27-2009, 12:48 AM
Express-News.

Parker injured while in France (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Parker_injured_while_in_France.html)
From wire reports -

Spurs guard Tony Parker suffered two injuries to his right leg in a collision with an opponent while playing for the French national team against Austria on Friday night in Strasbourg, France.

According to French sports newspaper L'Equipe, Parker left the game on a crutch after 12 minutes with a sharp pain in his right thigh after colliding with Austria's Stjepan Stazic. Though that injury soon subsided, Parker's right ankle became swollen. By Saturday morning, it was clear the ankle was the greater issue.

In a statement released by the French Basketball Federation, Parker said that the collision caused “a blow to my thigh, and my ankle also turned.”

Parker described the MRI of his ankle as “reassuring,” calling the injury “a minor sprain, without any ligament damage.”

Parker is expected to be ready when France's Eurobasket 2009 qualification effort gets back under way on Aug. 5 against Italy in Cagliari.

That game begins France's run in the six-team tournament competing for the final spot at Eurobasket, the continental basketball championships. France must win its group over Italy and Finland, then beat the winner of the other three-team pool to qualify for the championships, which begin Sept. 7.

symple19
07-27-2009, 01:22 AM
I'm all for him playing on the natty team if it's for a MAJOR tournament like the Olympics or the Worlds. This isn't soccer where the Euro tourny is the second biggest deal, behind the World Cup. These little injuries add up, and the French team IS NOT going to win the Euro regardless of Tony playing or not.

That said, I understand he has pressure and feels the need to play. I just think he's better served waiting and exerting himself for his country at a more opportune time.

GSH
07-27-2009, 03:17 AM

Bullshit. Our Olympic teams used to be a bunch of college kids competing against professionals from other countries. Then we started fielding professionals, which fucks up the spirit of the Olympics. And a lot of the teams we face in the Olympics are from much smaller countries, without a huge basketball infrastructure. And then there are the mercenaries, who play for countries they have nothing to do with. The days of Jesse Owens giving the figurative finger to the fuehrer are long since gone. Olympic athletes take steroids and EPO, and train hooked up to computers. The whole thing has become big business, and there's nothing inspirational about it.

All that being said, if a player wants to represent his country in the Olympics once, or maybe even twice, that's one thing. But playing a professional sport - any professional sport - 12 months a year, every year, is too fucking much. Move over, and make room for some of the younger guys to have a chance.

sonic21
07-27-2009, 04:57 AM
I'm all for him playing on the natty team if it's for a MAJOR tournament like the Olympics or the Worlds. This isn't soccer where the Euro tourny is the second biggest deal, behind the World Cup. These little injuries add up, and the French team IS NOT going to win the Euro regardless of Tony playing or not.

That said, I understand he has pressure and feels the need to play. I just think he's better served waiting and exerting himself for his country at a more opportune time.

He needs to play the Euros to have a chance to play the Olympics and the Worlds.
This year, only the 4 or 5 (?) best teams of the Euro will be in the WC next year.

spursfan09
07-27-2009, 05:20 AM
Trade his ass

bigfan
07-27-2009, 08:06 AM
Ive never understood why playing for a national team isnt prohibited in a players contract.

King
07-27-2009, 08:13 AM
Ive never understood why playing for a national team isnt prohibited in a players contract.

Because I don't think they can. I think there are mandates against leagues formally prohibiting players from playing in FIBA.

Add to that, I doubt many foreign all-stars would sign a contract that included that clause. I imagine it's a LOT more important to them than you guys realize.

MB20
07-27-2009, 08:15 AM
:bang

I will always support international players who play for their countries.

Take care Tony.

Chieflion
07-27-2009, 09:10 AM
I just hope he makes a speedy recovery.

JudynTX
07-27-2009, 11:04 AM
Trade his ass

:lol:lol

Get better soon Tony! :ihit

angel_luv
07-27-2009, 11:11 AM
Accidents happen- especially in sports. I pray Tony Parker recovers fully and quickly and I hope he has a safe and happy summer.

tlongII
07-27-2009, 11:43 AM
And so it begins...

:lol

DBMethos
07-27-2009, 11:47 AM
Headline: Parker suffers ankle sprain during pickup game at local Y

Spurs fan reaction: Damn, that happened to me last week...tough luck, bro. Get better soon. :)

---

Headline: Parker suffers ankle sprain playing for French National Team

Spurs fan reaction: WTF? Didn't he learn from Manu last year? Fucking assholes better never let our players play for their national teams ever again! The end is nigh!!!

duncan228
07-27-2009, 01:00 PM
Tony Parker Injured In France (http://dimemag.com/2009/07/tony-parker-injured-in-france/)
By Dime Magazine

The San Antonio Spurs have arguably had the best offseason of anyone in the League. They added Richard Jefferson for nothing, signed free agent Antonio McDyess, somehow managed to pick up DaJuan Blair in the Draft, and maybe know something no one else does about this guy (http://dimemag.com/2009/07/the-mysterious-case-of-marcus-haislip/), officially re-stocking a roster that can clearly contend for a title during the few years that Tim Duncan has left in the tank.

None of that means anything though with Tony Parker in the mix, which is why this report this morning has undoubtedly led to legions of Spurs fans collectively throwing up in their mouths:

From wire reports -

Spurs guard Tony Parker suffered two injuries to his right leg in a collision with an opponent while playing for the French national team against Austria on Friday night in Strasbourg, France.

According to French sports newspaper L’Equipe, Parker left the game on a crutch after 12 minutes with a sharp pain in his right thigh after colliding with Austria’s Stjepan Stazic. Though that injury soon subsided, Parker’s right ankle became swollen. By Saturday morning, it was clear the ankle was the greater issue.

In a statement released by the French Basketball Federation, Parker said that the collision caused “a blow to my thigh, and my ankle also turned.”

Parker described the MRI of his ankle as “reassuring,” calling the injury “a minor sprain, without any ligament damage.”

Parker is expected to be ready when France’s Eurobasket 2009 qualification effort gets back under way on Aug. 5 against Italy in Cagliari.

Despite the fact that everything seems to be ok, for a guy who has had ankle issues in the past, this is most definitely not what Spurs fans want to hear. Something like this brings up a topic that Mark Cuban always rails against when his guys are involved - when an NBA club is paying a guy a ton of money, at what point can they tell their player that he can’t mess around with his national team in the offseason? We’re sure that Rockets fans wish that their team had told Yao Ming to chill in the offseason the last few summers instead of playing with the Chinese National team. There’s no solid proof that that the extra wear and tear has led to his foot condition, but it certainly hasn’t helped. And now the Rockets’ season is basically done months before it even starts.

Should NBA teams be able to to protect their investment and bar their players from international competition in the offseason?

duncan228
07-27-2009, 01:02 PM
Tony Parker, Injured (http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2009/07/tony-parker-injured/)
by Marcel Mutoni
SLAM

It is times like these when one begins to understand the reasons behind Gregg Popovich occasionally sporting a beard befitting a man quietly assembling bombs in a log cabin somewhere.

The stress involved with having to watch two of his three stars partake in international hoops annually - where they at times suffer catastrophic injuries (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3559440) - would be enough to drive anyone a little batty.

The good news for Popovich and the rest of the San Antonio Spurs organization, is that Tony Parker’s injury, according to TP, is considered to be relatively minor. The Express-News (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Parker_injured_while_in_France.html) reports:

According to French sports newspaper L’Equipe, Parker left the game on a crutch after 12 minutes with a sharp pain in his right thigh after colliding with Austria’s Stjepan Stazic. Though that injury soon subsided, Parker’s right ankle became swollen. By Saturday morning, it was clear the ankle was the greater issue.

In a statement released by the French Basketball Federation, Parker said that the collision caused “a blow to my thigh, and my ankle also turned.” Parker described the MRI of his ankle as “reassuring,” calling the injury “a minor sprain, without any ligament damage.”

Parker is expected to be ready when France’s Eurobasket 2009 qualification effort gets back under way on Aug. 5 against Italy in Cagliari.

Here’s to hoping that Popovich is somewhere, with absolutely no access to the news.

ducks
07-27-2009, 01:11 PM
Parker injures right ankle against Austria
1 hour, 41 minutes ago

Buzz up!1 vote PrintPARIS (AP)—Spurs guard Tony Parker(notes) has a sprained ankle and injured thigh after colliding with an Austrian player during a recent basketball game.

Parker is unlikely to be available to play for France in Thursday’s game in Paris against Hungary in Eurobasketball 2009, according to sports daily L’Equipe.

The Spurs’ star hurt his right thigh and ankle in a collision with Stjepan Stazic in a game Friday. Parker issued a statement saying he was hit in his thigh and turned his ankle.

The statement also said tests on Saturday showed no sign of ligament tears or other serious complications, and that he could resume training later in the week.

EricB
07-27-2009, 01:33 PM
Shut it down Parker. Shut it down right now.

Walton Buys Off Me
07-27-2009, 01:39 PM
I find it scary that players don't seem to realize the risk here.

National loyalty is one thing but when you're earning your living playing in the NBA, allegiance to the team that pays your salary should take priority.

You would think Ginobili's injury last year and the fact it cost the Spurs their season would have taught all a valuable lesson.

in2deep
07-27-2009, 01:45 PM
I don't understand why so hard to understand. Some people would die for their country. Nobody will die for their paycheck.

angel_luv
07-27-2009, 01:47 PM
I can understand people being concerned about the intense schedules and competition players endure these matches.

But Tony could have also sprained his ankle playing a pick up game with some of his teammates from the Spurs. Injury is a risk that comes with playing basketball and the risk is unavoidable even in the summer, as guys need to play to stay conditioned.

Marcus Bryant
07-27-2009, 01:51 PM
http://www.la2day.com/images/page_image/Motherfucker.jpg

barbacoataco
07-27-2009, 02:17 PM
While I think he has a right to play for his country, the Spurs must have an opinion about 2 of their 3 stars repeatedly injuring themselves playing for teams that are not paying them MILLIONS of dollars.

bigdog
07-27-2009, 02:22 PM
Oh look, a Spurstalk meltdown!

But in all seriousness, fuck.

timaios
07-27-2009, 02:25 PM
While I think he has a right to play for his country, the Spurs must have an opinion about 2 of their 3 stars repeatedly injuring themselves playing for teams that are not paying them MILLIONS of dollars.

In 8 years with the Spurs, Tony played 612 games in regular season...

It is 76.5 games / RS. (That with Pop resting his stars in some games before the playoffs.)

And he played 122/122 games in playoffs.

MB20
07-27-2009, 02:53 PM

Tell the Spurs to avoid signing or drafting international players.
Problem solved. :toast

ducks
07-27-2009, 02:54 PM

duncan played for team usa

ducks
07-27-2009, 02:55 PM

bowen almost made the USA team

DJB
07-27-2009, 03:28 PM

:tu

urunobili
07-27-2009, 03:44 PM

lame... :td

Buddy Holly
07-27-2009, 05:15 PM
:(

SonOfAGun
07-27-2009, 05:24 PM
lmao, apparently parker did not give a fuck that manu was out most of the year and cost them any hopes at making a championship run.

Last year I was all on the "let them do what they want" wagon, but when you burn your hand on the stove you don't touch it again!

Cherry
07-27-2009, 06:57 PM
Headline: Parker suffers ankle sprain during pickup game at local Y

Spurs fan reaction: Damn, that happened to me last week...tough luck, bro. Get better soon. :)

---

Headline: Parker suffers ankle sprain playing for French National Team

Spurs fan reaction: WTF? Didn't he learn from Manu last year? Fucking assholes better never let our players play for their national teams ever again! The end is nigh!!!

Post of the week :tu

Get well soon Tony :flag:

timaios
07-27-2009, 07:57 PM
Didn't this fucking idiot learn anything from Manu? AND NOW HE'S SAYING HE'S GOING TO PLAY AGAIN?? COME THE FUCK ON. The NBA needs to do something about this.

There is a LOT of stupid fans...
The NBA needs to do something about this !!! :nutkick:

Duncanonu
07-27-2009, 08:31 PM
I think we should put it in their contracts that they have to be put into a hyper-sleep chamber like those bad space movies, from the last game until the next training camp.
;)

Kamala
07-27-2009, 09:25 PM
Ain't this a bitch

Manu-of-steel
07-27-2009, 09:32 PM
I don't understand why so hard to understand. Some people would die for their country. Nobody will die for their paycheck.

Agree! And injuries are always possible in basketball-be it a pick-up game or a tune up game or playing for the NT.

symple19
07-28-2009, 02:13 AM
He needs to play the Euros to have a chance to play the Olympics and the Worlds.
This year, only the 4 or 5 (?) best teams of the Euro will be in the WC next year.
I didn't know that. I stand corrected.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-28-2009, 02:31 AM
Just say no to National team!

Just say no to people who try to tell Manu, Tony and the rest of the Spurs' players how to live their lives. I want our players to be healthy as much as anyone, but I don't think the team OWNS them.

For those of you who think our players shouldn't be allowed to play for their national teams, let's flip it around - how would you feel if every player under contract had to decline playing for the USA? Wouldn't like it much, huh?

Any time you step on a basketball court you can sprain your ankle - I should know, I've done it 34 times (seriously, I counted). Hell, you can sprain your ankle walking down the street. You can't wrap people in cotton wool, you have to let them live their lives.

mathbzh
07-28-2009, 02:43 AM
Parker and Ginobili always made it very clear. They want to play for their NT.
The Spurs knew this when they proposed them these big contracts.
I don't see why Parker or Ginobili should feel guilty when they play for their NT.

Tully365
07-28-2009, 05:27 AM
Bullshit. Our Olympic teams used to be a bunch of college kids competing against professionals from other countries. Then we started fielding professionals, which fucks up the spirit of the Olympics. And a lot of the teams we face in the Olympics are from much smaller countries, without a huge basketball infrastructure. And then there are the mercenaries, who play for countries they have nothing to do with. The days of Jesse Owens giving the figurative finger to the fuehrer are long since gone. Olympic athletes take steroids and EPO, and train hooked up to computers. The whole thing has become big business, and there's nothing inspirational about it.

All that being said, if a player wants to represent his country in the Olympics once, or maybe even twice, that's one thing. But playing a professional sport - any professional sport - 12 months a year, every year, is too fucking much. Move over, and make room for some of the younger guys to have a chance.

Oh please-- Jesse Owens may have given the Fuhrer the finger, but what happened to him when he returned back to his own country? After the parades and accolades were over with, he was still a guy that had to use a different restroom and water fountain from white people in many parts of the country, and a guy who risked getting his ass lynched by an angry mob if he was seen in the wrong situation flirting with a white lady. You can romanticize the past all you want, but things are way better today for athletes. Great athletes like Jim Thorpe died sad and penniless--that sure isn't going to happen to Tony Parker. Tony Parker has managed his life pretty well to this point and if he as an intelligent grown man decides he wants to play for his country, just as Jordan, Bird, and Magic did for theirs, that's his choice to make... and just the fact that a bunch of Texans are frightened by news concerning their most beloved black Frenchman is proof that things have drastically changed.... :lol man, talk about giving an old entrenched mindset the finger!

Dex
07-28-2009, 09:50 AM
How do you look up Donna Summer's name in the phone book?

ploto
07-28-2009, 09:56 AM
For those of you who think our players shouldn't be allowed to play for their national teams, let's flip it around - how would you feel if every player under contract had to decline playing for the USA? Wouldn't like it much, huh?

I would. None of them belong in the Olympics.

picnroll
07-28-2009, 11:01 AM
Olympics is a joke. Steroids and other performance enhancing drugs to win the gold. Players representing countries they don't have a relative from since the Cro-Magnon age. A bunch of 80 year old olympic officials making millions off a bunch of nationalistic dopes.
What a load of BS.

gm5k
07-28-2009, 11:19 AM
via RMJ's Twitter account...

"Some of the responses I got about Tony were hilarious. He texted me last night and said he's ok, just sore."