PDA

View Full Version : "The devil made her do it"

JudynTX
07-27-2009, 09:29 AM
:( Poor baby. RIP little one.

In what police describe as one of the most gruesome crimes against a child in recent memory, an infant boy was stabbed, decapitated and mutilated early Sunday.

His 33-year-old mother claimed responsibility, police said.

Otty Sanchez told police that she was “hearing voices” and that the devil made her kill Scott Wesley Buchholtz Sanchez, to whom she gave birth on June 30, San Antonio police spokesman Joe Rios said.

Sanchez used a steak knife to repeatedly stab the nearly 4-week-old baby, then decapitate and mutilate him, Rios said. A police source said the baby was skinned and gutted.

Sanchez then used the knife to stab herself in the chest and abdomen, police said.

Sanchez was detained and taken to University Hospital, where she remained in stable condition Sunday night. She was charged by proxy late Sunday with capital murder, which is punishable by the death penalty. Bond was set at $1 million.

The brutal crime unfolded in a single-story home in the 300 block of Wayside Drive, where police were called just before 5 a.m. According to police, Sanchez lives in the North Side home with her sister and the sister's two children, and Sanchez's mother stays in a small, separate structure behind the house.

Neighbor Elaine Colchin said that just months ago, she was cleaning out her garage when Sanchez's mother stopped by and asked for a discarded baby bed.

“I gave it to her, and she was so happy, she was going to paint it for her new grandson,” Colchin said. “It was a family bed — my daughter, son and husband all used it; now it turned out to be a nightmare.”

It was Sanchez's mother who called police Sunday. She told them she was awakened by Sanchez around 4:30 a.m. She said she saw her daughter sitting with the boy. He had been decapitated, a police report said. Sanchez's mother took the baby, put him on a bed and called police, according to the report.

When police arrived, Sanchez was sitting on a couch, yelling, “I killed my baby. I want to die,” the report said.

An officer found the child's body lying in blood on a bed next to the knife, believed to be the weapon used in the killing, and two swords, which Rios said were not involved in the death. Authorities were seen carrying two bags out of the home, and officials on the scene confirmed that they contained the baby's remains.

The baby was missing body parts, and police were investigating claims the mother made to them about ingesting those parts, sources said.

Colchin was surprised to hear that Sanchez, who brought her baby across the street for a visit last week, is a suspect in the infant's death, though she admits Sanchez sometimes appeared a bit odd.

“She was never aggressive; always sweet,” Colchin said. “She did seem to be living in a world of her own, but she must have been deranged. I feel so sorry for that baby, the little angel.”

Rios said Sanchez did not have a criminal history related to mental illness, but police will investigate that further, and the district attorney's office will handle how Sanchez's mental state affected her actions.

There was one police report on file, from May 2008, when Sanchez's mother called police to report that Sanchez went to Austin and didn't return. In the report, the mother told police she believed that Sanchez went to Austin to use drugs and that Sanchez was not suffering from mental issues.

The two children of Sanchez's sister were home at the time of the baby's death and were not injured.

Rios said initial information showed that the baby was Sanchez's only child. The baby's father, who did not live with Sanchez, was notified. A relative of the father said the family did not want to comment.

link (http://http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/2-week-old_baby_stabbed_to_death.html)

Drachen
07-27-2009, 09:31 AM
I got about 4 sentences in and decided I couldn't continue reading.

hater
07-27-2009, 09:45 AM
"The baby was missing body parts, and police were investigating claims the mother made to them about ingesting those parts, sources said."

what!??

damn...

SpursStalker
07-27-2009, 09:45 AM
Sick bitch needs to die!!

:bang

Viva Las Espuelas
07-27-2009, 09:47 AM
man, wow..........

averageusaconsumer
07-27-2009, 09:50 AM
This is the most fucked up story that I've read in a very long time. that bitch should get her head cut off.

Dr. Gonzo
07-27-2009, 09:57 AM
This is the most fucked up story that I've read in a very long time. that bitch should get her head cut off.

That punishment would be too light. She deserves years of brutal torture and extreme pain.

BacktoBasics
07-27-2009, 10:02 AM
You guys will feel awfully silly when big man in sky comes down to thank her for taking care of business on his day off.

samikeyp
07-27-2009, 10:04 AM
That is fucked up on all levels.

desflood
07-27-2009, 10:07 AM
Initially, I read the article and thought, "This is obviously a case of 'not guilty by reason of mental disease or defect'. Only somebody who was really and truly 'crazy' could do something like that." Then I reread and saw this:

There was one police report on file, from May 2008, when Sanchez's mother called police to report that Sanchez went to Austin and didn't return. In the report, the mother told police she believed that Sanchez went to Austin to use drugs and that Sanchez was not suffering from mental issues.

And I thought maybe she was just a druggie and should fry. Then another thought occurred - it might be entirely possible that she does have major mental issues, but the stigma that still comes with mental disease is so strong that her mother would rather falsely blame her daughter's crime on drug use than admit that she's, well, a nut.

JudynTX
07-27-2009, 10:09 AM
I was wondering how long this would take to reach CNN. Not long.

Bigzax
07-27-2009, 10:48 AM
very sad.

Satan
07-27-2009, 10:50 AM
Another makes the VIP list.

ashbeeigh
07-27-2009, 10:52 AM
Initially, I read the article and thought, "This is obviously a case of 'not guilty by reason of mental disease or defect'. Only somebody who was really and truly 'crazy' could do something like that." Then I reread and saw this:

And I thought maybe she was just a druggie and should fry. Then another thought occurred - it might be entirely possible that she does have major mental issues, but the stigma that still comes with mental disease is so strong that her mother would rather falsely blame her daughter's crime on drug use than admit that she's, well, a nut.

This is where I'm at right now with the story/case. It's very likely she's schizophrenic and on top of that had postpartum depression (even a psycotic break) when this occurred. While all this horrifies me, I feel deeply for the mother as well. Because she needs some serious help.

Bender
07-27-2009, 10:55 AM
kill her and be done with it. Don't put her on Death Row and feed her 3 meals a day for 50 fucking years.

easjer
07-27-2009, 10:58 AM
Jesus Christ.

Bigzax
07-27-2009, 11:05 AM
she'll be put in a mental hospital or something.

she won't get the death penalty or goto prison.

nkdlunch
07-27-2009, 11:09 AM
meth will do that to you

mrsmaalox
07-27-2009, 11:22 AM

Well you know, the insane abuse drugs as much or more than others. It's "self-medication".

BackStabber
07-27-2009, 11:24 AM
She'll do time

angel_luv
07-27-2009, 11:35 AM
Yesterday, I was looking at Bo's baby book and marvelling at what a precious and tiny little baby he was- such a miracle... truly a gift from God.
The thought of somebody brutally attacking a little baby makes my heart and stomach sick.
You have to been incredibly twisted and mentally ill to do something like that. What a tragedy!

Bigzax
07-27-2009, 11:36 AM
beware the voices.

boutons_deux
07-27-2009, 11:39 AM
hormones, post-partum depression

Hell hath no fury ...

MoSpur
07-27-2009, 11:44 AM
This story made me very sad. I couldn't believe what I was reading this morning. If her lawyer tries to use the whole "not in her right state of mind" arguement, it might not fly because of her mother's statement that she went to do drugs in Austin or whatever. I have a feeling that she will do time in prison, but then again, our justice system is a joke and she might just do time in a mental hospital or whatever.

Strike
07-27-2009, 11:52 AM
I just feel sick.

And speechless.

sonic21
07-27-2009, 01:05 PM
man, that's so fucked up

desflood
07-27-2009, 01:16 PM
Oh, Jesus...

McManus, who appeared uncomfortable as he addressed reporters, said Sanchez apparently ate the child's brain and some other body parts. She also tore his face off, chewed off three of his toes and decapitated the infant before stabbing herself.

marini martini
07-27-2009, 01:25 PM
God..........why did I read this thread??? This is so sad, and so sick!!!:depressed

Viva Las Espuelas
07-27-2009, 01:41 PM
wow.

Dark Gable
07-27-2009, 01:56 PM
Totally perplexing.

ashbeeigh
07-27-2009, 02:17 PM
Aunt says Otty Sanchez "was not in right mind"

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story/Update-Relative-says-mom-who-killed-baby-had/DGV3wVgKpECp0JVIJMjZJA.cspx?rss=68

Not posting entire article b/c it's AP...

JoeChalupa
07-27-2009, 02:20 PM
My youngest asked me what "decapitated" meant when we saw this on the news.

Summers
07-27-2009, 03:33 PM
I'm sorry I read this.

Summers
07-27-2009, 03:35 PM
My youngest asked me what "decapitated" meant when we saw this on the news.

I had a conversation here with a friend (another poster on this board) about how honest to be with your kids about what they see on the news. I lean toward honesty, but my friend said to be careful with things that involve abusive parents. I don't know. Maybe she's right. It's something to ponder.

BacktoBasics
07-27-2009, 04:04 PM
I had a conversation here with a friend (another poster on this board) about how honest to be with your kids about what they see on the news. I lean toward honesty, but my friend said to be careful with things that involve abusive parents. I don't know. Maybe she's right. It's something to ponder.Next thing you know little Johnny is telling his friends how mommy eats baby brains.

Probably wouldn't go over well if a teacher was listening in.

DarkReign
07-27-2009, 05:53 PM
She was awfully good at killing her infant, but fell short of doing the job on herself?

All kinds of fail, that one.

pkbpkb81
07-27-2009, 08:15 PM
SAN ANTONIO -- The parents of a 3½-week-old boy, allegedly killed by his mother Sunday morning, were talking about restarting their relationship hours before the child's death, said the baby's paternal grandmother.

The child's mother, 33-year-old Otty Sanchez, decapitated and stabbed her son, Scott Wesley Buchholtz Sanchez, with a knife and two swords, ate parts of his body and attempted to kill herself, said San Antonio Police Chief Bill McManus.

Sanchez stabbed herself in the torso and sliced her own throat, McManus said. Sanchez was recovering at University Hospital, where she was charged by proxy with capital murder. Bail was set at $1 million.

McManus said that the attack happened one week after the baby's father moved out of the home at 351 Wayside Drive. McManus wouldn't say if the breakup was a motive for the slaying.

The child's paternal grandmother, Kathleen Buchholtz, said Otty Sanchez showed no signs of any emotional problems when she saw her and the baby on Saturday evening. The child's parents had spoken of restarting their relationship, Buchholtz said.

The child's aunt and two cousins, ages 5 and 7, were in the house at the time of the killing, but none of them were harmed, police said.

McManus said that Sanchez told officers that "she was hearing voices" and that the devil made her kill her child. Police said Sanchez was found sitting on a couch screaming, "I killed my baby! I want to die!"

The police chief said that the crime scene was so horrific that officers at the scene were disturbed and severely affected by the slaying and may need counseling.

"There are a few officers who have had issues since that scene," McManus said. "There were some unspeakable atrocities associated with this crime. You just don't sit it in this business that often."

Luis Yanez, a neighbor, said that everyone on the street was appalled by the news.

"Give (the child) to me, I'll take care of it," Yanez said. "Give it to anybody else. Drop it anywhere else, but don't kill a baby."

Eliane Colchin, a neighbor who gave Sanchez a crib for her baby a few months ago, was devastated by the news.

"When I heard that, I couldn't stand it. I just cried, you know," Colchin said.

Jennifer Dodd, Simon Gutierrez and Jozannah Quintanilla contributed to this report.

ftw i am sick now

pkbpkb81
07-27-2009, 08:16 PM
sorry just saw this in a another thread close it my bad

Vinnie_Johnson
07-27-2009, 08:17 PM
Wow that is so messed up.

Heath Ledger
07-27-2009, 08:46 PM
This is the kind of shit that is going to eventually put my company out of business. Damn that's pretty fucked up. I wonder if it was a Hanzo sword.

z0sa
07-27-2009, 08:58 PM
her punishment should simply be her crime recommitted on her. A couple rabid chimps should do the trick.

manufan10
07-27-2009, 09:09 PM
What the hell is wrong with people? Damn.. I'm all for torturing this lady.. make her pay for doing this to a baby, her own child. :depressed

AmericanPsycho
07-27-2009, 09:10 PM
I'm speechless.

Frenzy
07-27-2009, 09:17 PM
the kill bill sword? wow..

manufan10
07-27-2009, 09:19 PM
She hears voices in her head, the counsel her, they understand, they talk to her.

http://www.newstoob.com/media/images/2008/01/randy-orton-wwe-pic.jpg

MANGINA
07-27-2009, 09:55 PM
Of course she can plea insanity. WTF else could it be!?!?

resistanze
07-27-2009, 10:08 PM
Damn, they need to put her down. It's better for everyone.

Dark Gable
07-27-2009, 10:28 PM
There is no help for her. She's toast.

Heath Ledger
07-27-2009, 10:32 PM
No, I mean one of my swords, I own http://www.hanzoswords.com and have my own brand which is Hanzo Swords.

TheProfessor
07-27-2009, 10:38 PM
Damn, they need to put her down. It's better for everyone.
Clearly here, this woman was absolutely batshit insane and there is no possible deterrence effect in killing her. It would be a mercy killing, really, which is kind of sickening in its own right.

Vinnie_Johnson
07-27-2009, 10:54 PM
No, I mean one of my swords, I own http://www.hanzoswords.com and have my own brand which is Hanzo Swords.

Way to take a horrible story into a plug for your swords real class.:depressed

CharlieMac
07-28-2009, 12:04 AM
I had a conversation here with a friend (another poster on this board) about how honest to be with your kids about what they see on the news. I lean toward honesty, but my friend said to be careful with things that involve abusive parents. I don't know. Maybe she's right. It's something to ponder.

Mine is still young but that actually crossed my mind. I won't even know how to begin to explain this to my boy when he's old enough to ask questions.

cornbread
07-28-2009, 02:22 AM
She knew what she did was wrong and I'm not really buying the "insanity" excuse.

Execution sounds like an appropriate punishment.

lebomb
07-28-2009, 09:38 AM
Clearly here, this woman was absolutely batshit insane and there is no possible deterrence effect in killing her. It would be a mercy killing, really, which is kind of sickening in its own right.

What I dont understand is SINCE she is insane and mutilated her kid, why wasnt she successful in committing suicide? A couple of superficial cuts is all she was able to inflict upon herself? :rolleyes This beotch should fry.

Summers
07-28-2009, 11:05 AM
Mine is still young but that actually crossed my mind. I won't even know how to begin to explain this to my boy when he's old enough to ask questions.

Yeah, it's tricky. Sometimes, my son who's 6 will see a news story and ask "What's wrong with that little boy?" and I try to say something like, "That poor little boy had a very bad, stupid mommy who hurt him." I'd rather try to explain it than turn the channel like it doesn't exist. But I don't know. Maybe there are some things little kids are better off not knowing yet.

iggypop123
07-28-2009, 01:19 PM
it wasnt long ago when executions ruled as opposed to todays prisons. here is why
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discipline_and_Punish

desflood
07-28-2009, 03:15 PM
Baby's mother diagnosed with psychosis

The 33-year-old woman who police said decapitated her infant son and ate parts of his body had been diagnosed with schizophrenia and postpartum psychosis before the slaying at a North Side home this weekend, the family said Monday.

Otty Sanchez confessed to killing Scott Wesley Buchholz Sanchez on Sunday with a steak knife and two swords before mutilating the corpse and eating body parts that included the brain, nose and toes, police said.

She has been charged with capital murder and remained under 24-hour observation Monday at University Hospital, where she was treated for self-inflicted knife wounds.

The father of the baby said Sanchez should receive the death penalty.

“She was a sweet person and I still love her, but she needs to pay the ultimate price for what she has done,” said Scott W. Buchholz, who referred to his child as “baby Scotty.” “She needs to be put to death for what she has done.”

But Sanchez's relatives are hoping authorities will take into consideration her history of mental illness, which included a recent diagnosis of postpartum psychosis.

“It's just tragic and unbelievable what happened,” said Greg Garcia, Sanchez's first cousin, who considers her a sister. “She was a good, hard-working person, but she had been diagnosed with schizophrenia last year.”

The death happened at Sanchez's mother's home in the 300 block of Wayside Drive between 1:30 and 4:30 a.m. When officers arrived about 5 a.m. to find Scotty's mutilated body, Sanchez quickly confessed to the crime, police said.

“She was hysterical, screaming, ‘I killed my baby. I killed my baby,'” Police Chief William McManus said.

Sanchez told detectives that she was “hearing voices” and the devil made her kill her baby boy, who was born June 30.

The Bexar County district attorney's office will review the detectives' recommended capital murder charge, which is punishable by the death penalty.

“You can still be prosecuted if you have some form of mental illness,” said First Assistant District Attorney Cliff Herberg. “The test is if you understand the difference between right and wrong. The question is whether or not you know your act is wrong.”

Dr. Lucy Puryear, a Houston psychiatrist and author, said mothers who experience postpartum psychosis often have a history of other mental disorders, but in some cases childbirth triggers the psychosis.

“It's usually really severe,” Puryear said.

Puryear testified as an expert witness in the case of Andrea Yates, who drowned her five children in Houston in 2001.

While postpartum depression affects one in 10 mothers, Puryear said, the more severe postpartum psychosis — which includes hallucinations — affects one in 1,000.

“In all of the (high-profile) cases, the thinking involves the babies: The mother had to kill the baby to protect it, or God has spoken to the mother and there is a mission to kill the baby, or sometimes the baby is the devil, who needs to be gotten rid of to save the world,” she said.

Relatives said Sanchez's mental health severely deteriorated in the week before Scotty's death. On July 20, she moved out of the home she shared with the baby and his father near Windcrest.

The same day, she checked herself into a hospital after hearing voices, but she soon checked herself out, according to a source familiar with the investigation but unauthorized to speak to the media. She then took the baby to stay at her mother's home.

Buchholz said he called her every day to convince her to return, to no avail.

She finally reappeared about 2 p.m. Saturday at Buchholz's parents' home on the Northeast Side.

“We were so happy to see Scotty again,” Buchholz said.

She was at the home for about 15 minutes when Buchholz told Sanchez that he needed a copy of Scotty's birth certificate and Social Security card. The request seemed to “set her off,” Buchholz said.

“She grabbed the baby and just said, ‘I gotta go. I gotta go. I'm out of here.'”

His mother called 911, and a sheriff's deputy arrived to investigate the incident as a disturbance, court records show.

That night, while Buchholz was attending the Judas Priest concert, he received a cell phone call from Sanchez.

“She told me she had found someone else and she never wanted to see me again,” he said.

Police think she killed the baby six hours later.

The couple's volatile relationship was on and off for the past six years, ever since they met while enrolled in the San Antonio College of Medical and Dental Assistants, but they became dedicated to making it work after learning Sanchez was pregnant last year, relatives said.

“She took really good care of herself during the pregnancy,” said Buchholz, who also has been diagnosed with schizophrenia. “We were excited about having a baby.”

duncan228
07-28-2009, 03:21 PM
Baby's mother diagnosed with psychosis

You've got to be out of your mind to be able to kill your own child.