PDA

View Full Version : a little cookin this weekend...

CosmicCowboy
07-27-2009, 10:20 AM
Too damn hot to work outside, might as well eat good so I fired up the smoker..

Stuffed pork loins (boudan and queso fresco in one, and maple/cranberry/apple in the other...baby back ribs glazed caramelized with spicy red mop sauce and honey...king crab on the grill...killer green salad, jalapeno potato salad, cosmiccowboy creamed corn, jalapeno cheese grits. Finished it off with fresh blackberry/peach cobbler and vanilla ice cream.

*burp*

*nap time*

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/3476/food725004.jpg (http://img259.imageshack.us/i/food725004.jpg/)

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/4836/food725005f.jpg (http://img216.imageshack.us/i/food725005f.jpg/)

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/6807/food725009.jpg (http://img505.imageshack.us/i/food725009.jpg/)

BacktoBasics
07-27-2009, 10:30 AM
I was gonna start a weekend food thread. NICE work. Glad to see others enjoying Boudan(or is it boudin). I grilled some stuffed Anaheim peppers using andouille sausage and boudan. Then two racks of spares.

Been stuffing pork loins all summer.

So far my favorite has been Onions, spinach, andouille sausage and mozzarella.

CosmicCowboy
07-27-2009, 10:38 AM
I use boudan a lot...I like it "classic" style too grilled and served with homemade red beans and rice...

sounds like a good stuffing mix you are using...do you use frozen/chopped spinach?

YourConscience
07-27-2009, 10:39 AM
There is nothing green on that plate, CosmicCowboy.

CosmicCowboy
07-27-2009, 10:45 AM
There is nothing green on that plate, CosmicCowboy.

LOL

I like my salad in a separate bowl and served before the main course...

This meal was a little carb heavy but it's summer picnic food...

Sportcamper
07-27-2009, 10:51 AM
The greatest GIG in the world would to be adopted by Cosmic…Hang out in the barn with cable TV, Ride horses, wash the 4x4, go hunting and eat bar be que…

ATRAIN
07-27-2009, 10:55 AM
Damn that shit looked good.

RonPopeil
Been stuffing pork loins all summer.

So far my favorite has been Onions, spinach, andouille sausage and mozzarella.

Have you been using one of these?
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41tDaUUIHyL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

ATRAIN
The greatest GIG in the world would to be adopted by Cosmic…Hang out in the barn with cable TV, Ride horses, wash the 4x4, go hunting and eat bar be que…

Yeah, where can I apply?

BacktoBasics
07-27-2009, 11:22 AM
I use boudan a lot...I like it "classic" style too grilled and served with homemade red beans and rice...

sounds like a good stuffing mix you are using...do you use frozen/chopped spinach?Fresh baby spinach.

BackStabber
07-27-2009, 11:23 AM
Yeah, I got some great pork tenderloins that I'm stuffing and grilling.

tonylongoriafan
07-27-2009, 11:25 AM
damn those stuffed pork lions look bad ass...i've never tried making those...u've inspired me...any easy recieps/tips?

mrsmaalox
07-27-2009, 11:29 AM
Very impressive table spread, CC :tu You sure do tolerate the heat well; this time of year I can only think about cold sandwiches with lots of lettuce, tomato and gallons of iced tea.
I love the addition of the crab (instead of fish) and the fancy grits. But I will admit I was a little taken aback by the "cowboy creamed corn" :wow

CosmicCowboy
07-27-2009, 11:37 AM
Very impressive table spread, CC :tu You sure do tolerate the heat well; this time of year I can only think about cold sandwiches with lots of lettuce, tomato and gallons of iced tea.
I love the addition of the crab (instead of fish) and the fancy grits. But I will admit I was a little taken aback by the "cowboy creamed corn" :wow

LOL....ever had Rudy's creamed corn? They are famous for it. Mines better.

JudynTX
07-27-2009, 11:40 AM
LOL....ever had Rudy's creamed corn? They are famous for it. Mines better.

I love Rudy's creamed corn!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BacktoBasics
07-27-2009, 11:46 AM
Cream Corn is great. I always used Alton Browns better than Grannie's as my base

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/better-than-grannies-creamed-corn-recipe/index.html

give me your recipe CC.

Sequ of the corn
07-27-2009, 11:48 AM
i love rudy's creamed corn!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1

CosmicCowboy
07-27-2009, 11:51 AM
damn those stuffed pork lions look bad ass...i've never tried making those...u've inspired me...any easy recieps/tips?

nothin to it, just more prep work. Get a roll of cotton twine. You don't have to buy the fancy gourmet twine...I got my last roll in the hardware section at HEB.

Depending on how thick your pork loins are you can either slit them once halfway through or twice 1/3 of the way through (from opposite sides)...think about taking an "S" and rolling it out flat. You can press or pound it to make it even thinner if you want to.

Then, just let your imagination go on what to stuff it with...I personally lean towards sausage based versions and fruit based versions but either way you just top it like a pizza and then roll it up...

Start at one end and tie it tightly with the twine...then loop the twine around the loin and back through itself (pulling it tight every time) and keep poking the stuffing back in as you go...when you get to the other end knot it tightly.

You can coat it with anything you want but I normally use a dry rub along with a liquid (either worcestershire or italian dressing) to make a paste coating.

I cook mine on a smoker because I have one, but you can cook them on a gas grill too...sear them and then cook them on indirect heat @ about 250 (not directly over the burners) till you get them to an internal temp of 145-150. Pull them off and let them rest in foil for at least 20 minutes before you slice them.

JudynTX
07-27-2009, 11:53 AM
Cream Corn is great. I always used Alton Browns better than Grannie's as my base

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/better-than-grannies-creamed-corn-recipe/index.html

give me your recipe CC.

Rosemary in CC? :td WTF

Fpoonsie
07-27-2009, 11:58 AM
I've actually been looking for a good beef or pork roast recipe recently -- preferably, one that DOESN'T require a crockpot. Any suggestions, CC? Or anyone else?

EmerilLagasse
07-27-2009, 11:59 AM
All you people need to do is go to Foodnetwork.com and you'll find everything you'll need to make great food that make your mouth water. Just a few clicks here and there and BAM! you too could be the next cooking show host!!

BacktoBasics
07-27-2009, 12:00 PM
nothin to it, just more prep work. Get a roll of cotton twine. You don't have to buy the fancy gourmet twine...I got my last roll in the hardware section at HEB.

Depending on how thick your pork loins are you can either slit them once halfway through or twice 1/3 of the way through (from opposite sides)...think about taking an "S" and rolling it out flat. You can press or pound it to make it even thinner if you want to.

Then, just let your imagination go on what to stuff it with...I personally lean towards sausage based versions and fruit based versions but either way you just top it like a pizza and then roll it up...

Start at one end and tie it tightly with the twine...then loop the twine around the loin and back through itself (pulling it tight every time) and keep poking the stuffing back in as you go...when you get to the other end knot it tightly.

You can coat it with anything you want but I normally use a dry rub along with a liquid (either worcestershire or italian dressing) to make a paste coating.

I cook mine on a smoker because I have one, but you can cook them on a gas grill too...sear them and then cook them on indirect heat @ about 250 (not directly over the burners) till you get them to an internal temp of 145-150. Pull them off and let them rest in foil for at least 20 minutes before you slice them.The butchers rope is a good way to go but lately I've been laying out bacon and just wrapping it with that. Then I use toothpicks to keep it secure and put it in the fridge for a good 3 or so hours so it firms up. That usually keeps it from wanting to open up. For me bacon and pork work for others it might not.

TDMVPDPOY
07-27-2009, 12:00 PM
looks good man

so wheres our invite ?

BacktoBasics
07-27-2009, 12:01 PM
Rosemary in CC? :td WTF
The first few time I used it the last few I haven't. Not a huge difference.

CosmicCowboy
07-27-2009, 12:01 PM

give me your recipe CC.

Mines a lot easier than that one and uses frozen corn.

It starts with:

8 oz heavy whipping cream
8 oz milk (2% is OK if you don't have whole milk)

start heating in a large saucepan

add 6 heaping tablespoons brown sugar
a couple dashes of salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne (more if you like a little after bite)

add 40 ounces of frozen corn right out of the freezer...add it a couple of handfuls at a time and stir it in so it doesn't "freeze" the liquid mixture...

bring to a boil and cut it back to a low simmer. As with any time you are doing a milk base you need to stir frequently.

After you bring it to a boil add 4 ounces of cream cheese (cubed so it melts faster)

While it's simmering melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a small bowl in the microwave and then stir in 3 tablespoons of flour...this is your final thickener..

JoeChalupa
07-27-2009, 12:05 PM
frozen corn!! I like to use fresh if at all possible but frozen will work.

Good grilling guys! :tu

CosmicCowboy
07-27-2009, 12:06 PM
The butchers rope is a good way to go but lately I've been laying out bacon and just wrapping it with that. Then I use toothpicks to keep it secure and put it in the fridge for a good 3 or so hours so it firms up. That usually keeps it from wanting to open up. For me bacon and pork work for others it might not.

I like it, but bacon just freaks some people out. It's a psychological thing. I can load my creamed corn up with heavy cream and brown sugar and they love it, but if you wrap something in bacon they think it's fattening. I will get the same effect without the trauma by using bacon drippings if I want the flavor.

JoeChalupa
07-27-2009, 12:09 PM
I like it, but bacon just freaks some people out. It's a psychological thing. I can load my creamed corn up with heavy cream and brown sugar and they love it, but if you wrap something in bacon they think it's fattening. I will get the same effect without the trauma by using bacon drippings if I want the flavor.

Yeah, I've had a few people who won't eat what I cook or grill because of their "fat" intake and healthy lifestyle. My sister cooks everything without salt and then refuses to put out any salt shakers when we eat. Bland and tasteless, I keep telling her to use sea salt but she won't.
I'm making some beans right now with some nice thick bacon.

CosmicCowboy
07-27-2009, 12:12 PM
frozen corn!! I like to use fresh if at all possible but frozen will work.

Good grilling guys! :tu

I'm not wasting a bunch of time peeling corn and slicing it off the ear for creamed corn if I've got meat on the grill...too many things happening too fast. The flash frozen corn they have now is really good.

If I have fresh corn I'm serving it on the ear...

My favorite way to eat fresh corn on the cob is to brush with mayonnaise and cover with fresh grated parmesan and a little tony's and cracked pepper...

Sounds gross but is knock your socks off good...the mayo melts into the corn giving it a lemony bite with the spicy parmesan crust.

JoeChalupa
07-27-2009, 12:13 PM
I'm not wasting a bunch of time peeling corn and slicing it off the ear for creamed corn if I've got meat on the grill...too many things happening too fast. The flash frozen corn they have now is really good.

If I have fresh corn I'm serving it on the ear...

My favorite way to eat fresh corn on the cob is to brush with mayonnaise and cover with fresh grated parmesan and a little tony's and cracked pepper...

Sounds gross but is knock your socks off good...the mayo melts into the corn giving it a lemony bite with the spicy parmesan crust.

I've tried that mayo thing and it is not for me but know others who like it. I use fresh corn all the time so it is no biggie for me to use it.
But yeah, many use frozen to make things quick.

CosmicCowboy
07-27-2009, 12:19 PM
Yeah, I've had a few people who won't eat what I cook or grill because of their "fat" intake and healthy lifestyle. My sister cooks everything without salt and then refuses to put out any salt shakers when we eat. Bland and tasteless, I keep telling her to use sea salt but she won't.
I'm making some beans right now with some nice thick bacon.

When I do beans I start by sauteing chopped bacon ends, onions and lard...I will throw in fresh garlic towards the end...maybe a pound of bacon ends, 2 onions, and a couple heaping tablespoons of manteca for 2 pounds of beans. I put the unsoaked beans in the bottom of the pot. When the onions are clear I dump this over the beans, add two cans of habanero rotel, and two diced jalapenos and two diced serranos seeds and all...add water to just cover and simmer till done.

JoeChalupa
07-27-2009, 12:24 PM
When I do beans I start by sauteing chopped bacon ends, onions and lard...I will throw in fresh garlic towards the end...maybe a pound of bacon ends, 2 onions, and a couple heaping tablespoons of manteca for 2 pounds of beans. I put the unsoaked beans in the bottom of the pot. When the onions are clear I dump this over the beans, add two cans of habanero rotel, and two diced jalapenos and two diced serranos seeds and all...add water to just cover and simmer till done.

I always pre-soak my beans and use thick bacon, onions, garlic but don't use any lard at all. Very simple but tastes great. I will add some heat and other spices to kick it up a notch when I'm having people over though.

We need to have grillin' GTG. :lol

BacktoBasics
07-27-2009, 12:24 PM
I don't mind frozen corn the fresh corn is a little more firm and has a little snap to it and the frozen corn is soft and more like what people are used to.

If you can't handle fat and bacon then you aren't welcome to at my cook out.

JoeChalupa
07-27-2009, 12:26 PM
I don't mind frozen corn the fresh corn is a little more firm and has a little snap to it and the frozen corn is soft and more like what people are used to.

If you can't handle fat and bacon then you aren't welcome to at my cook out.

:lol I hear ya.

Fresh just tastes better to me that is all.

BacktoBasics
07-27-2009, 12:26 PM
I always pre-soak my beans and use thick bacon, onions, garlic but don't use any lard at all. Very simple but tastes great. I will add some heat and other spices to kick it up a notch when I'm having people over though.

We need to have grillin' GTG. :lolSalted pork in beans is my favorite.

Alex Jones
07-27-2009, 12:40 PM
Do we need a cooking forum?
I think CC should have a cooking show for richer's.

The Cooking Cowboy week nights on the Food network, sponsored by...........

http://ahaupt.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/chewing1.jpg

Susan Boyle
07-27-2009, 12:42 PM
Salted pork in beans is my favorite.

I'm sure your customers and wife wish that wasn't true!

mrsmaalox
07-27-2009, 12:50 PM
What is psychological about bacon? Bacon is delicious! But bacon adds alot of richness that wrecks my digestion. So with all the great flavors in these recipes I don't think I'd miss out on too much just omitting the bacon. `

I personally prefer a purer flavor in my food. When I cook beans, I don't pre-soak cuz I don't like mush. And I cook until tender with absolutely nothing. At the very end I add some salt and that's it. I serve these as a side or use them for frying. If the beans are going to be an entree or as bean soup, is when I add all the extras---bacon, jalapenos, anything else I can find. And an absolute must is cumin, lots of it. :drool:

clambake
07-27-2009, 12:52 PM

what is "tony's"?

a dry herb and spice mix?

CosmicCowboy
07-27-2009, 12:54 PM
what is "tony's"?

a dry herb and spice mix?

http://gearpatrol.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/tony-chacheres-original-creole-seasoning1.jpg

mrsmaalox
07-27-2009, 12:56 PM

Exactly what i was thinking. We can start with a "Cooking the Cowboy Way" webcast and see where it goes. I have connections in the trail ride, cattle drive, wanna be a cowboy on the weekends business and I believe we could wrangle some sponsorships easily. Whaddya say CC, business partners?? :spin

clambake
07-27-2009, 12:56 PM
thanks. i've never seen that.

CosmicCowboy
07-27-2009, 01:00 PM
Exactly what i was thinking. We can start with a "Cooking the Cowboy Way" webcast and see where it goes. I have connections in the trail ride, cattle drive, wanna be a cowboy on the weekends business and I believe we could wrangle some sponsorships easily. Whaddya say CC, business partners?? :spin

We would have to get Shiner as a sponsor too because I can't cook without beer.
http://www.ratebeer.com/beerimages/full_size/909.jpg

CosmicCowboy
07-27-2009, 01:02 PM
thanks. i've never seen that.

I use it to replace salt a lot...more flavor, less sodium.

BacktoBasics
07-27-2009, 01:07 PM
http://gearpatrol.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/tony-chacheres-original-creole-seasoning1.jpgI put that on homemade french fries and wings.

mrsmaalox
07-27-2009, 01:07 PM
We would have to get Shiner as a sponsor too because I can't cook without beer.
http://www.ratebeer.com/beerimages/full_size/909.jpg

Excellent! I do my best web camming with a little alcohol on board :eyebrows

BacktoBasics
07-27-2009, 01:08 PM
Excellent! I do my best web camming with a little alcohol on board :eyebrows:wow

Chef Ramsay
07-27-2009, 01:12 PM

I'd be happy to chime in with advice for all you donkey's who don't know how to boil water.

CosmicCowboy
07-27-2009, 01:14 PM

:lmao

marini martini
07-27-2009, 01:14 PM

:wow

BacktoBasics
07-27-2009, 01:19 PM
Horny and hungry

ploto
07-27-2009, 01:31 PM
Serious question- how do you eat like that so often? I would be sick. Give me a simple grilled boneless, skinless chicken breast, some plain steamed rice, and some fresh corn on the cob with a little butter and pepper.

BacktoBasics
07-27-2009, 01:35 PM
Serious question- how do you eat like that so often? I would be sick. Give me a simple grilled boneless, skinless chicken breast, some plain steamed rice, and some fresh corn on the cob with a little butter and pepper.

Answer: We have penis you have vagina.

07-27-2009, 01:42 PM
Did a little myself this weekend as well on the new Egg.

Tuna loin smoked with cherry wood chips, Shitake mushrooms/celery/shallot in the grill skillet on the gas Weber and a mango jalapeno salsa for the fish and veggies.

I give the effort a firm C as the tuna went a touch too long (Couldn't keep the heat down to 225. I'm pretty sure it's from me letting the charcoal spool up so the cherry wood chips would smoke), but hopefully I'll get better with time. Luckily the salsa offset the dryness of the tuna.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2644/3753251587_c08cfe2bd5_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2428/3753251849_74a9431ba7_b.jpg

tlongII
07-27-2009, 01:49 PM
That king crab looks great. Great for the BBQ and then dip it in butter!

MannyIsGod
07-27-2009, 01:54 PM
Oh man - I thought the first page looked good but that tuna takes the cake except why'd you have to ruin it by cooking it?

Dark Gable
07-27-2009, 01:55 PM
I smoked some ribs that were out of this world!!

mrsmaalox
07-27-2009, 02:17 PM

:lmao Spoken in perfect Neanderthal :tu

JoeChalupa
07-27-2009, 02:18 PM
I still eat like a neanderthal. I know I'll do earlier than some but I'll have lived a happy life.

CosmicCowboy
07-27-2009, 02:30 PM

I will do simple meals too but I draw the line at cooking boneless skinless chicken breasts without some kind of a sauce. Yuck. If that's how a guest wants theirs I will cook it with the skin on and then pull it off the last couple of minutes while it's still on the grill...then they rave about how it's the best chicken they have had in ages and I am thinking to myself, "no shit dumb ass!"

Susan Boyle
07-27-2009, 02:31 PM
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/ZONE/cosmic.jpg

mrsmaalox
07-27-2009, 02:50 PM
I will do simple meals too but I draw the line at cooking boneless skinless chicken breasts without some kind of a sauce. Yuck. If that's how a guest wants theirs I will cook it with the skin on and then pull it off the last couple of minutes while it's still on the grill...then they rave about how it's the best chicken they have had in ages and I am thinking to myself, "no shit dumb ass!"

I won't waste time grilling boneless chicken, slurping the
meat off the bones is just too delicious. But boneless chicken baked or roasted in the oven is great by me.

baseline bum
07-27-2009, 02:58 PM