PDA

View Full Version : sleeper teams for this year?

anonoftheinternets
07-27-2009, 04:05 PM
Every year, there is a team that does much much better than its perceived ceiling (need not actually win the title, just has to do way better than is expected), and surprises even the most ardent bball fan.

Of course it subsequently gets overhyped for the next year. Past example include hornets - 2008, nuggets -2009. But I digress.

Who do you think will essentially be a sleeper team that does better than everyone thinks it should. This is not the same as being underrated/not hyped, because although everyone keeps talking about portand and it has all the hype, it remains my personal pick for this year since, I feel it just might be the year, they finally break through to the second round, and not just be a 1st round casuality.

I will bump this thread at the end of the year, and lets see who gets it right. :toast

phyzik
07-27-2009, 04:06 PM
Clippers

Spursfan092120
07-27-2009, 04:09 PM
Thunder

Texas_Ranger
07-27-2009, 04:10 PM
Team: Bobcats

Player: Matt Bonner :rollin

Pistons < Spurs
07-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Clippers,Pistons,T'Wolves,Wizards,Pacers are all contenders.

But I'm going with the Kings.

The teams young, but has alot of talent. They're far better than last years 17 victories.

Returning starters: Kevin Martin (who missed most of April, December and November last year), Jason Thompson, Spencer Hawes, and Andres Nocioni. Drafted Tyreke and Cassipi who should be impact players, and Henk Norel. Grabbed undrafted big man Jon Brockman, while not guaranteed to stick, is a physical presence and rebounder if he does. Signed Sean May, who if healthy and in shape could be a steal for them.

I'm not expecting greatness from them. But I do think they have the ability to be a .500 team. Which would be an increase of 24 wins from last year.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-27-2009, 04:40 PM
I'll go Wolves.

Amarelooms
07-27-2009, 04:51 PM
Your Dallas Mavs are the sleeper team :elephant

sonic21
07-27-2009, 04:53 PM
thunder

kwamay_brown54
07-27-2009, 04:54 PM
This is a no brainer, the clipshow is a darkhorse, check vegas odds on them

JamStone
07-27-2009, 04:55 PM
A healthy Wizards team can possibly get the 4th seed in the West.

In the West, the Warriors will unleash the Randolph and could make more noise than expected.

Morg1411
07-27-2009, 05:05 PM
Clippers in the West, Bobcats in the East.

symple19
07-27-2009, 05:20 PM
A healthy Wizards team can possibly get the 4th seed in the West.

In the West, the Warriors will unleash the Randolph and could make more noise than expected.
agree with the wizards and warriors. props to ya Jamstone:toast

Henke
07-27-2009, 06:06 PM
East:Wizards
West:Thunder

bdictjames
07-27-2009, 06:07 PM
Bobcats as long as they don't trade Okafor.

mojorizen7
07-27-2009, 06:08 PM
Russell Westbrook
James Harden
Kevin Durant
Jeff Green
Nick Collison/Nenad Krstic

Thompson
07-27-2009, 06:29 PM
Pistons and Thunder.

BUMP
07-27-2009, 06:38 PM
The Thunder, i think they could legitimately get as high as #4

Pistons < Spurs
07-27-2009, 06:40 PM
Are the Thunder really a sleeper? Don't we all expect them to be pretty good? Or at least alot better?

mojorizen7
07-27-2009, 06:53 PM
Are the Thunder really a sleeper? Don't we all expect them to be pretty good? Or at least alot better?

Somebody voted PISTONS so i don't see the problemhttp://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/images/smilies/nixweiss.gif

sexinthatsx
07-27-2009, 10:27 PM
Somebody voted PISTONS so i don't see the problemhttp://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/images/smilies/nixweiss.gif

I think the reason a lot of people said pistons was because of them losing rasheed and mcdyess. Their newly acquired draft picks Austin Daye and Dajuan Summers look damn good imo and can still be playoff contenders.

BUMP
07-27-2009, 10:50 PM

IMO a sleeper is a team that will join the elites for 1 year (top 4 seed) after missing the playoffs or barely getting in with like an 8th seed.

In 05 it was the Suns, 06 it was the Clippers, 07 it was the Jazz, 08 was the Hornets, 09 was the Nuggets, 10 will be the Thunder. I don't think anybody expects them to jump that high just yet but i'm calling it.

Pistons < Spurs
07-27-2009, 10:58 PM
I'm not trying to rain on anyones parade and have them change their pick. I guess my point is, referring to the original post and reason fro this thread:

Every year, there is a team that does much much better than its perceived ceiling (need not actually win the title, just has to do way better than is expected), and surprises even the most ardent bball fan.

To me, and based on the number of people picking the Thunder, is that it wouldn't be very surprising for them to make major strides. It's what we all expect, therefore taking them out of the 'sleeper' mode.

just my opinion.

Findog
07-27-2009, 11:06 PM
The Thunder, i think they could legitimately get as high as #4

I think the Zombie Sonics are a year away and their ceiling this year is sneaking in to the playoffs as an 8 seed. I see them at around 35 wins.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-27-2009, 11:08 PM

As much as I love them, I'm worried the Thunder are turning into the team that's been called the sleeper so many times they become the overhyped team.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-27-2009, 11:11 PM
To me, and based on the number of people picking the Thunder, is that it wouldn't be very surprising for them to make major strides. It's what we all expect, therefore taking them out of the 'sleeper' mode.

just my opinion.

I agree, a sleeper is a team that most people are sleeping on. If no one is sleeping on the Thunder, they aren't a sleeper.

Findog
07-27-2009, 11:12 PM
As much as I love them, I'm worried the Thunder are turning into the team that's been called the sleeper so many times they become the overhyped team.

They're young and improving, but people may expect too much too soon. I see six playoff spots as locked down pretty tight, so their ceiling is fighting for one of the lower seeds. I don't think 35 wins next year would be a disappointment at all.

SouthTexasRancher
07-27-2009, 11:46 PM
Pistons and Thunder.

KSeal
07-27-2009, 11:51 PM
If the Lakers don't resign Lamar I think they become a huge sleeper. I've already heard a ton of people claiming they won't make it out of the second round, and will be a fourth seed and that there is no way they'll repeat. Look for Bynum to have a breakout year and the Lakers to sneak up on everyone. Don't underestimate the heart of a champion.

23LeBronJames23
07-28-2009, 12:51 AM
Thunder
Wizards
Clippers(not sure)
Warriors

The Cavs they will win 80-2

Thunderhorse
07-28-2009, 12:55 AM
If the Lakers don't resign Lamar I think they become a huge sleeper. I've already heard a ton of people claiming they won't make it out of the second round, and will be a fourth seed and that there is no way they'll repeat. Look for Bynum to have a breakout year and the Lakers to sneak up on everyone. Don't underestimate the heart of a champion.

How in the hell can the defending champs be considered sleepers? Did L.A change their drug of choice from cocaine to meth after the Lakers won it this year?

BUMP
07-28-2009, 01:01 AM

Lakers a sleeper?

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lol:lmao:lol
:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol
:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin

WpripwOz2is

1pS9CkMsQVU

TzUqGX6p98o

Lars
07-28-2009, 01:03 AM
No sleeper teams this year, maybe the Wizards

anonoftheinternets
07-28-2009, 01:18 AM

well i precisely did not want people to leave out teams simply coz they have been over hyped. In reality thunder have never peformed yet, altho they are set to exceed expectations every year. So actually calling the year, when they break out is no easy task. I jus wanted to see who can correctly pick the team that will improve the most, will pretty much suprise everyone by "actually" doing well next year.

Then I thought bumping the thread to see who got it right would be interesting, to see who actually called the team that would do well.

dirk4mvp
07-28-2009, 01:20 AM
They won't make the playoffs, but if Thabeet reaches some of his potential this year, the Grizzlies won't be teh major suckage. Still too young.

anonoftheinternets
07-28-2009, 01:26 AM
They won't make the playoffs, but if Thabeet reaches some of his potential this year, the Grizzlies won't be teh major suckage. Still too young.

i like their core but thabeet might take a while to develop based on what i saw in the summer league ...

dirk4mvp
07-28-2009, 01:28 AM
i like their core but thabeet might take a while to develop based on what i saw in the summer league ...

He showed flashes, but I agree, he's still very raw.

KidCongo
07-28-2009, 01:29 AM
The Clippers are looking like a playoff team now. And the Thunder are building around Durant so nicely. They are doing exactly what Cleveland didn't do with LeBron.

They at least had Ray Allen to trade for another 1st rounder. Also they got Westbrook with the 4th pick the next year and then James Harden with the 4th pick this year.

Cavs used the 10th pick in the 2004 NBA draft on Luke Jackson, one pick after Iggy, they passed on other players like Al Jefferson, Josh Smith and Jammer Nelson. Unlucky that Luke suffered back injuries however they didn't have a 1st round pick in 2005 due to stupid trades years earlier.

Cavs made the playoffs in LeBron's 3rd year, used massive amounts of capspace on disfunctional/overrated players to make those playoffs, too keep LeBron in Cleveland.

Ferry's first try at FA with big money turned out to be bad but he has learned from his mistake. The whole put young talent round LeBron wouldn't work like Sonics/Thunder as there was no young talent taken in drafts after or previously on the team.

Imagine if LeBron had a team like Durants with the 5th pick from the same draft (Wade), the 4th pick from the next year (Livingston, ok bust) then 4th pick the following year (Chris Paul).

Danny Ferry is becoming a much better GM. Smaller signings in FA (Parker, Moon, West's re-signing), the Mo Williams trade, he has to mix the ability to contend, but also the ability to find long-term teammates to play with LeBron, it's a fine line he has to deal with.

bigdog
07-28-2009, 02:10 AM
Wizards and Bobcats.

KSeal
07-28-2009, 02:12 AM
Lakers a sleeper?

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lol:lmao:lol
:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol
:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin

As far as winning it all, I think the Lakers will be a sleeper if they lose Odom. Everyone is already counting them out. I guarantee you the majority of people will say there is no way they'll repeat and will pick the Spurs, Nuggets or Blazers to win the West and one of the big three from the east to win the title. Tons of people will sleep on LA and then they'll repeat and everyone will be frantically searching for reasons why it shouldn't count.

mojorizen7
07-28-2009, 02:50 AM

Sleeper? > Wake the Fuck up! The Lakers are among probably 4 teams considered legit title contenders....they don't qualify for sleeper....congratulations! .:toast

cornbread
07-28-2009, 03:02 AM
OKC is the sleeper. They're going to ruin the evenings of a lot of fans of the great teams during the regular season.

KSeal
07-28-2009, 03:07 AM
Sleeper? > Wake the Fuck up! The Lakers are among probably 4 teams considered legit title contenders....they don't qualify for sleeper....congratulations! .:toast

That's what I'm saying, they're the sleeper among the title contenders. Once Odom signs with Miami there will be immense shit talk about how LA won't win shit, just watch.

Tully365
07-28-2009, 06:26 AM
Indiana. Their young bigs played well in the Summer league, their injured starters should be healthy to start the season, and Granger is poised to emerge as a superstar. I think they'll improve to the point of grabbing a playoff spot in the East.

Chieflion
07-28-2009, 07:54 AM
Raptors. They are going to have a good regular season record but stink it up in the playoffs cause they play no defense.

ElNono
07-28-2009, 07:57 AM
Portland. If Oden is healthy, they might nail a 7th seed... watch out!

urunobili
07-28-2009, 07:57 AM
Thunda' no brainer...

Chieflion
07-28-2009, 08:00 AM
Portland. If Oden is healthy, they might nail a 7th seed... watch out!
Excuse me, they were the 4th seed last season.

mojorizen7
07-28-2009, 08:24 AM
Indiana. Their young bigs played well in the Summer league, their injured starters should be healthy to start the season, and Granger is poised to emerge as a superstar. I think they'll improve to the point of grabbing a playoff spot in the East.

Adding dfensive combo guard Dahntay Jones was a nice under-the-radar signing for them too IMO.

anonoftheinternets
07-28-2009, 11:08 AM
As far as winning it all, I think the Lakers will be a sleeper if they lose Odom. Everyone is already counting them out. I guarantee you the majority of people will say there is no way they'll repeat and will pick the Spurs, Nuggets or Blazers to win the West and one of the big three from the east to win the title. Tons of people will sleep on LA and then they'll repeat and everyone will be frantically searching for reasons why it shouldn't count.

you have a very active imagination ... fyi ...

By Lance Pugmire
5:35 PM PDT, July 27, 2009
No reason to panic, Lakers fans.

Whether free agent Lamar Odom stays in Los Angeles or leaves for the Miami Heat, Las Vegas bookmakers said Monday they don't anticipate anything that would drop the Lakers from their perch as preseason favorites to win the NBA championship -- again.

"Getting [forward Ron] Artest is better than losing Lamar," said Jay Rood, director of the MGM/Mirage Race and Sports Book. The Lakers signed free agent Artest this month. "The core of that team still is what it is, and as long as you keep Kobe [Bryant] and [Coach] Phil [Jackson], nothing changes."

At MGM/Mirage, the Lakers are an 8-5 favorite to win the NBA title, followed by the Boston Celtics, and recent addition Rasheed Wallace, at 3-1, and the Cleveland Cavaliers, with Shaquille O'Neal joining LeBron James, at nearly 4-1. The Orlando Magic are 13-2 and the San Antonio Spurs are 7-1.

"We didn't change anything when they got Artest, and if they lose Odom it'll just be a wash," said Jay Kornegay, executive director of the Las Vegas Hilton's Race and Sports book, which has the Lakers as the 2-1 favorite over the 3-1 Cavaliers and 5-1 Celtics. "Odom's a component, but he's not a star. As that team has already shown, if they lose someone, they'll find someone else."

Those who assess these situations, with millions of dollars on the line, believe the possible loss of Odom will not diminish support for what is essentially Las Vegas' hometown team.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-odom-lakers-28-2009jul28,0,2985902.story

Killakobe81
07-28-2009, 12:02 PM
Clippers and Raptors (both make playoffs or come close)...Everyone is on the WIZ and Thunder's nutz... so they are not really sleepers. Also Wiz were just injured last year. Thunder have Durant who is a budding superstar so they make a Portland type leap and lose in 1st round of playoffs to Spurs or Lakers ...
But Clipper and Raptors will be tough to beat at home this year book it.

manufor3
07-28-2009, 01:44 PM
thunder and bobcats

Duncanonu
07-28-2009, 02:55 PM
While I do really like the Westbrook, Durant, Harden trio, are we really ready to put a team with Jeff Green playing PF and Nenad Krstic at Center into the top 4 seeds in the West? LA, SA, Denver, Dallas, Portland, and New Orleans are all still better. Utah is better as well, although a Boozer trade could hurt that considerably. The Rockets should be on their way out of the playoffs, and who knows what to expect from the Suns. In my mind the top 6 seeds should be clear, it's just a matter of who can grab the last two spots. The Suns, Jazz, Clippers, Rockets, Warriors, and Thunder are the teams I could see grabbing a playoff spot. If the Thunder could grab a playoff spot, that is a huge step forward, but I just don't think a top 4 seed is realistic. They are probably still too weak in the post to even make the playoffs, and honestly one more year in the lottery would serve that team better anyway.

But that weak thunder post play is definitely not going to translate into a 4 seed regardless of how good the wings and PG are.

rjv
07-28-2009, 03:12 PM
wizards and clippers

ffadicted
07-28-2009, 04:49 PM
Clips, no doubt

Spurs_210
07-28-2009, 07:09 PM
Okc

Findog
07-28-2009, 07:15 PM
Looks like the Bennett City Hijackers are the overwhelming sleeper pick.

mojorizen7
07-28-2009, 07:16 PM
While I do really like the Westbrook, Durant, Harden trio, are we really ready to put a team with Jeff Green playing PF and Nenad Krstic at Center into the top 4 seeds in the West? LA, SA, Denver, Dallas, Portland, and New Orleans are all still better. Utah is better as well, although a Boozer trade could hurt that considerably. The Rockets should be on their way out of the playoffs, and who knows what to expect from the Suns. In my mind the top 6 seeds should be clear, it's just a matter of who can grab the last two spots. The Suns, Jazz, Clippers, Rockets, Warriors, and Thunder are the teams I could see grabbing a playoff spot. If the Thunder could grab a playoff spot, that is a huge step forward, but I just don't think a top 4 seed is realistic. They are probably still too weak in the post to even make the playoffs, and honestly one more year in the lottery would serve that team better anyway.

But that weak thunder post play is definitely not going to translate into a 4 seed regardless of how good the wings and PG are.
Yeah i don't see OKC getting into the top 4. I do see them winning a couple playoff games though....getting their feet wet.

The Franchise
07-29-2009, 12:46 PM
How about my Rockets. We are expected to fall flat on our faces without Yao, but I have a feeling when the playoffs roll around we'll make the cut.

Unholy Turkey
07-29-2009, 03:38 PM
How about my Rockets. We are expected to fall flat on our faces without Yao, but I have a feeling when the playoffs roll around we'll make the cut.

I'd rather tank... but ok! :toast

Mr Bones
07-29-2009, 05:08 PM
Toronto. Although none of their front line guys are necessarily known as bangers, they will be big and versatile with Bargnani, Bosh, and Turkoglu. Jarrett Jack was a good pick up. Rasho and Reggie Evans are decent big bodies off the bench. They've got a hole at SG, but I think they make the playoffs in the East.