PDA

View Full Version : Nash Extension Becomes official

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-27-2009, 04:22 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2009/07/27/20090727nashonline.html#reply18007017

Some great Nash quotes:

"But the truth is I love this city, the organization."
You love it so much you were on Letterman campaigning to play for the Knicks.

" I really like my teammates and coach. "
Except for the teammates I backstab and get traded or coach that tells me to play defense.

"Nash said he was not consulted before the Suns traded Shaquille O'Neal,"
I'm sure that's it, I'm sure the fact you and Kerr had a meeting about what changes you wanted the team to make less than a week before Shaq was traded was just a timing coincidence.

"No one gave us Pau Gasol for nothing"
Instead you told the GM to trade Shaq for nothing.

"I think we all realize that we're a team that's trying to stay under the cap."
Way to be a team player and demand a raise you don't deserve after leading your team to the lottery.

"All those things I just talked about greatly outweigh the opportunity to search for a title. "
Glad to see you still don't have the championship hunger you never had.

My personal favorite:

"You look at all the good defensive teams and they have big guys who come out and hedge hard on pick-and-rolls and are active," Nash said today. "That's an area we can improve in. Robin (Lopez) has got the talent and desire to do that. Channing has the willingness to do that as well. That's an area that Steve Kerr has talked about addressing."

Yeah, I'm sure you want big man who will defend the pick and roll cause you're too lazy to BUT at the same time you didn't want Shaq traded.

They also don't have point guards that let Devin Harris drop 47 or let Kidd drop 20 points and 19 assists. It's unfuckingbelievable Nash still doesn't take one iota of responsibility for the team's bad defense.

TheMACHINE
07-27-2009, 04:24 PM
Party at DoK's house! Nash is staying!

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-27-2009, 04:26 PM

Yup. More excited than ever. Championship!!!

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-27-2009, 04:31 PM
Every home game will be a party now that the Suns are going to have fun again!

dirk4mvp
07-27-2009, 04:31 PM
The Suns have kept their window open for a few more years with this news.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-27-2009, 04:33 PM

Not only is the window open, they are throwing millions of dollars out of it.

resistanze
07-27-2009, 04:34 PM
lol @ the Pau Gasol quote. They'd fine a way to lose if 1988 Jordan found his way on the team.

Spursfan092120
07-27-2009, 04:39 PM
That sucks DoK

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-27-2009, 04:39 PM
lol @ the Pau Gasol quote. They'd fine a way to lose if 1988 Jordan found his way on the team.

Nash would ask for him to get traded.

da_suns_fan
07-27-2009, 04:45 PM
Nash would ask for him to get traded.

You act as if Shaquille Oneal getting traded was a bad thing.

As Bill Simmons said in his most recent article, Shaq didnt care about anything this past season except his own offensive numbers.

Getting rid of Shaq was an addition by subtraction. If he did tell management Shaq had to go, the vast majority of Phoenix fans was happy he did (see the azcentral polls at the end of the season where the fans overwhelmingly voted for the front office to trade shaq).

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-27-2009, 04:47 PM
Getting rid of Shaq was an addition by subtraction.

Their 2-5 record w/o Shaq last season says that statement is retarded.

kwamay_brown54
07-27-2009, 04:49 PM
Hey suns fans, at least you can be go hard for 2nd seed now. The second seed in the PACIFIC DIVISION LOL, i checked vegas odds on the pacific lakeshow isn't even on the board, but suns are like +3000, clipshow at +4000, and warriors and queens at +10000

da_suns_fan
07-27-2009, 04:49 PM
Their 2-5 record w/o Shaq last season says that statement is retarded.

Is that it? THATS why you think Shaq is so great? A sample size of seven games in which Shaq DIDNT play?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-27-2009, 04:51 PM
If he did tell management Shaq had to go, the vast majority of Phoenix fans was happy he did (see the azcentral polls at the end of the season where the fans overwhelmingly voted for the front office to trade shaq).

The vast majority of Phoenix fans also didn't start watching basketball till 2004 and think run and gun Antoni ball is the best thing since sliced bread. The vast majority of Suns fans being content with making the playoffs and losing is a large reason why they have gone 40+ years w/o winning a title.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Is that it? THATS why you think Shaq is so great? A sample size of seven games in which Shaq DIDNT play?

I never said they should keep Shaq. I said your "Addition by subtraction" comment was retarded. If you think trading Shaq and replacing him with Robin Lopez at C will make the team better you should jump off a cliff.

da_suns_fan
07-27-2009, 04:56 PM
The vast majority of Phoenix fans also didn't start watching basketball till 2004 and think run and gun Antoni ball is the best thing since sliced bread. The vast majority of Suns fans being content with making the playoffs and losing is a large reason why they have gone 40+ years w/o winning a title.

Arent you 18?

The vast majority of Suns have probably been following the team a lot longer than you. When did you start watching basketball? 8 years ago?

Do you even REMEMBER Jordan playing for the Bulls?

You were all of...what....3 when the Suns played the Bulls in the finals.

I wouldnt talk about how clueless the vast majority of Phoenix fans are. Especially when you speak of Nash as if he's "Selfish" and then gloss Shaq in the same sentence. Ive never heard Nash complain about his "touches".

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-27-2009, 04:57 PM
Arent you 18?

The vast majority of Suns have probably been following the team a lot longer than you. When did you start watching basketball? 8 years ago?

Do you even REMEMBER Jordan playing for the Bulls?

You were all of...what....3 when the Suns played the Bulls in the finals.

I wouldnt talk about how clueless the vast majority of Phoenix fans are. Especially when you speak of Nash as if he's "Selfish" and then gloss Shaq in the same sentence. Ive never heard Nash complain about his "touches".

You know, it's never too late for you to crawl back up your mom's pussy so she can go to town with a clothes hanger.

da_suns_fan
07-27-2009, 05:00 PM
I never said they should keep Shaq. I said your "Addition by subtraction" comment was retarded. If you think trading Shaq and replacing him with Robin Lopez at C will make the team better you should jump off a cliff.

I would rather have NOTHING than Shaq. Thats how detrimental he was to Stoudemire and the rest of the team. Throw any player in there. I dont care who. The best part is we wouldnt have to play whoever you replace Shaq with if we dont want to which wasnt an option with "The Big Ego".

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-27-2009, 05:00 PM
I wouldnt talk about how clueless the vast majority of Phoenix fans are.

If I were you I wouldn't either considering being someone content with the team being an 8 seed and losing in the 1st round makes you a clueless fan.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-27-2009, 05:01 PM
I would rather have NOTHING than Shaq.

yes, I know you'd take no championships over four championships.

da_suns_fan
07-27-2009, 05:03 PM
You know, it's never too late for you to crawl back up your mom's pussy so she can go to town with a clothes hanger.

You didnt answer the question. When did you start watching basketball.

You JUST SAID that most fans probably didnt start watching till 2004. Thats when you were all of 13.

So tell us of what Suns teams you followed when you were 12 and younger and what great insight into basketball you learned during that time for which someone who didnt start watching until 2004 couldn't possibly understand.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-27-2009, 05:04 PM
Thats how detrimental he was to Stoudemire and the rest of the team.

2007-2008 w/o Shaq:
23.2 points, 9.3 rebounds, 1.1 assists, 59.1 FG%

2007-2008 w/ Shaq:
28.5 points, 8.8 rebounds, 2.1 assists, 58.8 FG%

Shaq wasn't detrimental to Amare. Terry Porter was. That's why his numbers went down last season.

da_suns_fan
07-27-2009, 05:06 PM
yes, I know you'd take no championships over four championships.

Yes, cuz the Suns were winning championships with 07/08 Shaq. :rolleyes

Or as if he was even making the playoffs in Miami before they traded him to Phoenix.

Let me ask you something: Do you even REMEMBER Shaq winning championships with the Lakers? Im mean, you were completely pre-pubescent. You probably watched more Sponge-Bob than basketball between 2000-2002, am I right?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-27-2009, 05:06 PM
You didnt answer the question. When did you start watching basketball.

You JUST SAID that most fans probably didnt start watching till 2004. Thats when you were all of 13.

So tell us of what Suns teams you followed when you were 12 and younger and what great insight into basketball you learned during that time for which someone who didnt start watching until 2004 couldn't possibly understand.

I started following basketball in 2000. My guess is you watched a lot from 1993-1995, didn't watch at all from 1996-2004, and then became a die fan again once the team became a contender.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-27-2009, 05:08 PM
Let me ask you something: Do you even REMEMBER Shaq winning championships with the Lakers? Im mean, you were completely pre-pubescent. You probably watched more Sponge-Bob than basketball between 2000-2002, am I right?

My guess is you're probably no more than 3 years older than me.

And even if I didn't remember that, I do remember Shaq winning one in 2006.

da_suns_fan
07-27-2009, 05:09 PM
2007-2008 w/o Shaq:
23.2 points, 9.3 rebounds, 1.1 assists, 59.1 FG%

2007-2008 w/ Shaq:
28.5 points, 8.8 rebounds, 2.1 assists, 58.8 FG%

Shaq wasn't detrimental to Amare. Terry Porter was. That's why his numbers went down last season.

I agree that Terry Porter was detrimental to Amare, but he was detrimental to EVERYONE.

Again, addition by subtraction.

Now, if they could get just trade back Jason Richardson for Boris Diaw and Raja Bell.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-27-2009, 05:09 PM
I still want to know where I said the Suns should have kept Shaq.

mojorizen7
07-27-2009, 05:11 PM
This news officially marks the guarantee of the SUNS being stranded in No Man's Land for the next few years.
For all of you sheep wearing SUNS jersey's that mean's NO LOTTERY and NO CHANCE at winning a title.
Fucking joy.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-27-2009, 05:13 PM
I agree that Terry Porter was detrimental to Amare, but he was detrimental to EVERYONE.

My point is don't blame Shaq for Terry Porter's inability to know a player's strengths and weaknesses.

da_suns_fan
07-27-2009, 05:14 PM
My guess is you're probably no more than 3 years older than me.

And even if I didn't remember that, I do remember Shaq winning one in 2006.

I wish I was 21 :(

Well that makes sense then. See, by 2006, Shaq was already pretty washed up. He was a shell of his former self but Miami was able to win a title IN SPITE of his poor play (and IIRC, he didnt have a very good finals at all).

But from your point of view, thats all you know. You know that Shaq has won four titles and you observed one of them. So Im assuming that you view Shaq now and believe he's always been this way.

da_suns_fan
07-27-2009, 05:16 PM
This news officially marks the guarantee of the SUNS being stranded in No Man's Land for the next few years.
For all of you sheep wearing SUNS jersey's that mean's NO LOTTERY and NO CHANCE at winning a title.
Fucking joy.

Suns werent going to win any lottery picks this year anyway (Thanks Steve Kerr and the Sonics).

btw - Love your sig. Ahh..the good old days. Interesting that Barkely looks slightly taller than Jordan in that pic (Ive always thought the claims that he was 6-4 were exaggerated).

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-27-2009, 05:18 PM
I wish I was 21 :(

Well that makes sense then. See, by 2006, Shaq was already pretty washed up. He was a shell of his former self but Miami was able to win a title IN SPITE of his poor play (and IIRC, he didnt have a very good finals at all).

There's no way Miami gets by Chicago w/o Shaq. You don't seem to remember the amount of double teams and defenses Avery Johnson threw at Shaq in 2006. They don't beat Dallas w/o Shaq.

I'm still waiting to know where I said the Suns should have kept Shaq.

mojorizen7
07-27-2009, 05:19 PM

Again, addition by subtraction.

Now, if they could get just trade back Jason Richardson for Boris Diaw and Raja Bell.

YOu've got be fucking kidding me...dude, YOU are the TARGET fan base and thats no joke. LOL

"Feed me!....Entertain me!.....Offense! offense! offense!"
http://www.fellowmortals.org/images/wrenfledglingsM.jpg

Addition by subtraction would've also included trading Nash,JRich and telling Hill "thx but no thanks."

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-27-2009, 05:21 PM
I can't believe I'm arguing with somone who thinks Nash isn't a horrible a defender.

kwamay_brown54
07-27-2009, 05:23 PM
IF used in the correct system, you can cover up Nash's deficiencies on defense. The lakers have won 4 titles in the last decade with Derek Fisher as the starting PG. You think Phil Jackson didn't come up with schemes to provide help for the fishman? I did some analysis on Derek Fisher's defense over the span of 100 games during the 08/09 season. In those 100 games, I accounted for at least 1000 direct breakdowns by Derek Fisher which resulted in an assist or basket scored by his opposing player. If you average that out, it is close to 10 breakdowns per game, yet somehow the lakers still find a way to win it all.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-27-2009, 05:25 PM
IF used in the correct system, you can cover up Nash's deficiencies on defense. The lakers have won 4 titles in the last decade with Derek Fisher as the starting PG. You think Phil Jackson didn't come up with schemes to provide help for the fishman?

1) Ron Harper was the starter in 2000 and 2001
2) Fisher is nowhere near the defensive liability Nash is

mojorizen7
07-27-2009, 05:31 PM
Suns werent going to win any lottery picks this year anyway (Thanks Steve Kerr and the Sonics).
btw - Love your sig. Ahh..the good old days. Interesting that Barkely looks slightly taller than Jordan in that pic (Ive always thought the claims that he was 6-4 were exaggerated).

True but thats sort of my point. SUNS probably could've retained a '10 pick thru some combination of moving Shaq/Nash/JRich....one would think.
Instead they decided that due to the lack of one single 1st rd pick that rebuilding could wait another THREE years!?!?

Dumb.

Fuck OKC...let 'em have our lottery pick....we should be rebuilding...its not like an up & coming THUNDER team poses a threat to us if we're gonna be rebuilding anyway.
Fuck it.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-27-2009, 05:32 PM
true but thats sort of my point. Suns probably could've retained a '10 pick thru some combination of moving shaq/nash/jrich....one would think.
Instead they decided that due to the lack of one single 1st rd pick that rebuilding could wait another three years!?!?

Dumb.

Fuck okc...let 'em have our lottery pick....we should be rebuilding...its not like an up & coming thunder team poses a threat to us if we're gonna be rebuilding anyway.
Fuck it.

+349342943

kwamay_brown54
07-27-2009, 05:34 PM
Relax suns fans, you still live in a beautiful town, with great weather, amazing golf courses, and beautiful women. You could be in minnesota for christ sakes, imagine that.

Culburn369
07-27-2009, 05:35 PM
Fisher is nowhere near the defensive liability Nash is

Really he is, DUNCAN, it's just not celebrated as such.

We were just so blessed that Nelson was out. That more than anything else during the '09 playoffs saved our hash.

mojorizen7
07-27-2009, 05:35 PM
IF used in the correct system, you can cover up Nash's deficiencies on defense. The lakers have won 4 titles in the last decade with Derek Fisher as the starting PG. You think Phil Jackson didn't come up with schemes to provide help for the fishman? I did some analysis on Derek Fisher's defense over the span of 100 games during the 08/09 season. In those 100 games, I accounted for at least 1000 direct breakdowns by Derek Fisher which resulted in an assist or basket scored by his opposing player. If you average that out, it is close to 10 breakdowns per game, yet somehow the lakers still find a way to win it all.

If you were to surround Nash with a defensive system and good defensive players then sure....you could prob hide Nashy's deficiancies.....but when has that ever been an option?

The last time somebody tried to move in that direction the HC got canned.

Culburn369
07-27-2009, 05:37 PM
You could be in minnesota for christ sakes, imagine that.

I was in Rochester a year ago and the restaurants were just unbelievable. The portions were humongous and so gd good. I'd go back just for a day trip to eat there.

kwamay_brown54
07-27-2009, 05:37 PM

We were just so blessed that Nelson was out. That more than anything else during the '09 playoffs saved our hash.

It wasn't unitl game 4 of the 2008 finals until Phil finally figured out the proper adjustment of Kobe on rondo, and fisher on ray allen. By the time he figured this adjustment out, it was too late. Notice how much better the lakers did on 2/5/09 with the same lineup for both sides. Kobe on rondo and fish on ray allen changes the game entirely, go watch the tape.

mojorizen7
07-27-2009, 05:38 PM
Relax suns fans, you still live in a beautiful town, with great weather, amazing golf courses, and beautiful women. You could be in minnesota for christ sakes, imagine that.

Is there an NBA Fan exchange program? I'll take your summers and you can have our winters. :toast
At least your team knows how to get into the draft lottery when it's time to blow it up.

da_suns_fan
07-27-2009, 05:39 PM
If you were to surround Nash with a defensive system and good defensive players then sure....you could prob hide Nashy's deficiancies.....but when has that ever been an option?

The last time somebody tried to move in that direction the HC got canned.

:rolleyes * 10 ^ 10000000000000000000000000

As if Terry Porter was fired for trying to put in a "defensive system".

Thanks for that insight Mr. National talking-head who hasnt watched a single Suns game.

Culburn369
07-27-2009, 05:41 PM
It wasn't unitl game 4 of the 2008 finals until Phil finally figured out the proper adjustment of Kobe on rondo, and fisher on ray allen. By the time he figured this adjustment out, it was too late. Notice how much better the lakers did on 2/5/09 with the same lineup for both sides. Kobe on rondo and fish on ray allen changes the game entirely, go watch the tape.

I'll have to take a ganders, kwamay. Thanks for the citation.

da_suns_fan
07-27-2009, 05:41 PM
I can't believe I'm arguing with somone who thinks Nash isn't a horrible a defender.

Um...when did I say that?

I said that Nash once led the league in charges taken. So while he's a poor one-on-one defender, he at least is willing to sacrifice his body to help his team time and time again.

Thats opposed to Shaq, who stands there in cement boots and might just push you if you get too close. You'll get free throws (and the idiot Suns fans like DUNCANOwnsKobe will cheer in admiration) but at least Shaq looks cool.

dirk4mvp
07-27-2009, 05:42 PM

Memphis has it's advantages too. Like hobos hanging around beale.

mojorizen7
07-27-2009, 05:46 PM
Memphis has it's advantages too. Like hobos hanging around beale.

I've got family in Memphis.
Beale St Blues baby :hat.
Then there's that Mudd Island thing.....:toast

kwamay_brown54
07-27-2009, 05:46 PM
From the suns game I watched on league pass during the 08/09 season, I noticed that they implemented a zone scheme from time to time, and it was actually quite effective. If the suns get better coaching and schemes, they can definitely improve on defense. Man to man defense with nash on the peremiter and amare providing help as the lone big man is a recipe for disaster before the ball is even tipped.

mojorizen7
07-27-2009, 05:55 PM
:rolleyes * 10 ^ 10000000000000000000000000

As if Terry Porter was fired for trying to put in a "defensive system".

Thanks for that insight Mr. National talking-head who hasnt watched a single Suns game.

Talking head? :lol
Haven't watched a single game? Thats ignorant.
Porter WAS fired for putting in a defensive,offensively structured system with D'Umbtoni's players that eventually wore on Nashy,the wealthy fanbase and others.
Who's fault is that? Technically it's Kerr's fault for not retooling(trading Nash) the moment D'Umbtoni walked.
It woulda been a PR nightmare initially but would have kept last years team from being set up to fail.

da_suns_fan
07-27-2009, 06:07 PM
Talking head? :lol
Haven't watched a single game? Thats ignorant.
Porter WAS fired for putting in a defensive,offensively structured system with D'Umbtoni's players that eventually wore on Nashy and others.
Who's fault is that? Technically it's Kerr's fault for not retooling(trading Nash) the moment D'Umbtoni walked.
It woulda been a PR nightmare initially but would have kept last years team from being set up to fail.

Um...Terry Porter was fired for:

1) Being a horrible communicator (see any interview)
2) Not being able to decide WHAT the team was doing (go fast..no go slow.....now go fast again).
3) General clueless-ness ("Azubike doesnt normally shoot threes")
4) More clueless-ness (Only subs pg for pg, sg for sg etc)
5) Even more clueless-ness (wont make a substitution NO MATTER WHAT until ten minutes after the game starts and after the third quarter begins)
6) Lack of respect among players (Shaq informing him of when he was going in)

So yeah, when I hear people say that Porter was fired after only half a season because he wanted them to play defense, I immediately assume they hadnt watched a single Suns game the entire season. I know that every fanbase thinks their coach sucks, but this guy was BAD. I mean really, REALLY bad! He had no business getting that job.

Everyone respects Steve Kerr as a smart guy. But after a couple of weeks under Porter, I began to wonder how Steve Kerr could have every possibly thought this guy could coach an NBA team.

btw - I loved you that claimed I just wanted to be fed offense since I wanted to trade Richardson back for Bell and Diaw. That makes sense considering what poor defenders Raja and Diaw were and how awesome a defender Richardson is

Again: :rolleyes * 10 ^ 10000000000000000000000

da_suns_fan
07-27-2009, 06:15 PM
7) Running Rip Hamilton "catch and shoot" plays for Leandro Barbosa who is horrible shooting when he doesnt have his feet set. He continued to run this play until he got canned.

8) I was hoping they would hire Paul Silas because I knew he wouldnt be afraid to tear Amare a new one. I was reminded of "my pick" in a game against Denver in which Amare Stoudemire missed a shot inside, and then proceeded to yell at the ref while Kenyon Martin ran the lenght of the court un-touched for a dunk. I was hoping Porter would tear him a new one, but instead he just yelled at the official as well. So basically, this one is "failure to get the players to respect him".

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-27-2009, 06:24 PM
Terry Porter was a poor defensive coach, DSF is right about that. He deserved to be fired, just not for the reasons he was.

mojorizen7
07-27-2009, 06:26 PM
1) Being a horrible communicator (see any interview)
True.

2) Not being able to decide WHAT the team was doing (go fast..no go slow.....now go fast again).
Now why do you think that might have been the case?.....it starts with #13.

3) General clueless-ness ("Azubike doesnt normally shoot threes")
Dumb statement yes. So is this statement: “(Nash) didn't haven't his 'A' game but when it come down to crunch time, we put him on Ben Gordon and I thought he did a terrific job. He's turned into a heck of a defensive player and I'm not saying that tongue in cheek either. The guy has played defense the last couple months as good as anybody.” Who said it? Mike D'Umbtoni. http://thinkexist.com/quotes/mike_d'antoni/

5) Even more clueless-ness (wont make a substitution NO MATTER WHAT until ten minutes after the game starts and after the third quarter begins)
You're complaining about substitution patterns now....

6) Lack of respect among players (Shaq informing him of when he was going in)
All it takes is one guy(who's the face of the franchise) to undermine the HC and the rest will follow.

Everyone respects Steve Kerr as a smart guy. But after a couple of weeks under Porter, I began to wonder how Steve Kerr could have every possibly thought this guy could coach an NBA team.
As i stated...Porter was set up to fail by being asked to structure the offense and focus more on defense....with a SSOL roster. I don't know why this monumental FAIL is so hard for you to grasp. I never said Porter was a good coach, we don't know for sure.

btw - I loved you that claimed I just wanted to be fed offense since I wanted to trade Richardson back for Bell and Diaw.
Then deny it and i'll back off. Tell me you're not content with defenseless 50+ and fade basketball built upon the philosophy of SSOL even if it's fun entertainment for the whole family.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-27-2009, 06:28 PM
Um...when did I say that?

I said that Nash once led the league in charges taken. So while he's a poor one-on-one defender, he at least is willing to sacrifice his body to help his team time and time again.

Thats opposed to Shaq, who stands there in cement boots and might just push you if you get too close. You'll get free throws (and the idiot Suns fans like DUNCANOwnsKobe will cheer in admiration) but at least Shaq looks cool.

Saying Nash is sacrificing to help his team by gambling on defense and going for charges while leaving the player he should be guarding open would be like saying Allen Iverson is helping his team when he goes to gamble for a steal and pad his stats.

So when the guy Nash is guarding drives right by Nash and Shaq isn't able to rotate in time to block his shot, it's Shaq's fault?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-27-2009, 06:38 PM

From 2000-2002 Fisher was an above average defender. Yes, he was a liability against quick PG's this year, but he's still not as bad a defender as Nash. Don't tell me Billups has the lackluster series he had if Nash is guarding him instead of Fisher.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-27-2009, 07:10 PM
BUMP

I'm still waiting for DSF to explain how replacing Shaq with Robin Lopez makes the team better.

mojorizen7
07-27-2009, 07:28 PM
BUMP

I'm still waiting for DSF to explain how replacing Shaq with Robin Lopez makes the team better.

BUMP;

I'm still waiting for DSF to deny that he's not a sheep for SSOL defenseless BBall.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-27-2009, 07:42 PM
:lmao DSF puts a Barkley picture in a sig to cover up the fact he's a 2004 bandwagoner.

pauls931
07-27-2009, 08:38 PM

I am so there!!! Muhahahhaaa!!!!

da_suns_fan
07-28-2009, 02:05 PM
:lmao DSF puts a Barkley picture in a sig to cover up the fact he's a 2004 bandwagoner.

In 1993, Charles Barkley hit a shot with 0.4 seconds left against the trailblazers to win the game. The play was meant to be a backboard pass from Oliver Miller, but a Sun missed the "tip" and Barkley was able to scoop it up and bounce it off the backboard in one motion.

Tell me who the pass was intended for. Its a very famous play that most Suns fans should know.

Which sports writer wrote "The Barkley Beat" from 93-96?

Who won the Ainge versus Majerle three point shoot-out in 94?

Who blew out Danny Manning's knee?

Who missed a series winning three pointer at the end of regulation in game 5 of the WCSF against Houston (and the Suns lost in OT and eventually the series)?

What was the AZ Republic headline the day Barkley was traded?

What happened in Jason Kidd's first game as a Sun?

Who were the Suns heavily rumored to be targeting before the 98 lockout happened?

Who went to Colorado to try and convince McDyess not to re-sign with the Nuggets?

What was the headline of the AZ Republic when Dice decided to leave?

Which local sport writer wrote an article that the Suns should trade Nash a week before they traded Nash?

What local restaurant did JC take Googliota to sign his 56 million dollar deal? (Hint: It was also recently mentioned by name in the latest Bill Simmons article)

Who blew out Tom Googliota's knee? Who was Tom talking to when he had a siezure? Why did he have a siezure?

What slogan was used extensively to recruit Penny Hardaway?

In 1999, Shawn Marion was being dubbed "The Next (who)"?

Danny Ainge told AZ Republic's Bob Young that they were going to draft (who) in order not to give away that they wanted Marion?

Danny Ainge abruptly quit as coach after a game against what team?

In 2001, Penny Hardaway only played four games. One was on national TV against what team?

Who had a domestic incident first: Penny or Kidd?

Where was Jason Kidd when he learned he had been traded to New Jersey?

Amare Stoudemire scored 39 points his rookie season against what team?

In 2003, who hit a hook shot over Tim Duncan to win game 4 of the first round series between Phoenix and San Antonio?

Please answer these questions, DUNCANOwnsKobe, or STFU!

I know Cubby will probably get most of them. Then again, he's not some stupid kid running his mouth calling others "2004 bandwagoners".

Moron.

da_suns_fan
07-28-2009, 02:12 PM
BUMP;

I'm still waiting for DSF to deny that he's not a sheep for SSOL defenseless BBall.

Im still waiting for you to explain how wanting Diaw and Bell back for Jason richardson makes me a sheep for SSOL defenseless BBall?

btw - Kurt Thomas, Shawn Marion, Raja Bell and even Boris Diaw were good defenders. So was Joe Johnson.

You cant win 61 games playing no defense. Obviously D'Antoni never stressed it, but the Suns USED to have good defenders on the team before Steve Kerr came along.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-28-2009, 02:12 PM
In 1993, Charles Barkley hit a shot with 0.4 seconds left against the trailblazers to win the game. The play was meant to be a backboard pass from Oliver Miller, but a Sun missed the "tip" and Barkley was able to scoop it up and bounce it off the backboard in one motion.

Tell me who the pass was intended for. Its a very famous play that most Suns fans should know.

Which sports writer wrote "The Barkley Beat" from 93-96?

Who won the Ainge versus Majerle three point shoot-out in 94?

Who blew out Danny Manning's knee?

Who missed a series winning three pointer at the end of regulation in game 5 of the WCSF against Houston (and the Suns lost in OT and eventually the series)?

What was the AZ Republic headline the day Barkley was traded?

What happened in Jason Kidd's first game as a Sun?

Who were the Suns heavily rumored to be targeting before the 98 lockout happened?

Who went to Colorado to try and convince McDyess not to re-sign with the Nuggets?

What was the headline of the AZ Republic when Dice decided to leave?

Which local sport writer wrote an article that the Suns should trade Nash a week before they traded Nash?

What local restaurant did JC take Googliota to sign his 56 million dollar deal? (Hint: It was also recently mentioned by name in the latest Bill Simmons article)

Who blew out Tom Googliota's knee? Who was Tom talking to when he had a siezure? Why did he have a siezure?

What slogan was used extensively to recruit Penny Hardaway?

In 1999, Shawn Marion was being dubbed "The Next (who)"?

Danny Ainge told AZ Republic's Bob Young that they were going to draft (who) in order not to give away that they wanted Marion?

In 2001, Penny Hardaway only played four games. One was on national TV against what team?

In 2003, who hit a hook shot over Tim Duncan to win game 4 of the first round series between Phoenix and San Antonio?

I know Cubby will probably get most of them. Then again, he's not some stupid kid running his mouth calling others "2004 bandwagoners".

Moron.

Most of them were before my time, so of course I can't answer most of those.

And worthless trivia is pointless. Just cause I happen to know Boston was the first NBA team to start 5 black players in one game doesn't make me a die hard Celtics fan.

Who is the Suns all time leading scorer?

PS - Still waiting for you to justify the whole Robin Lopez > Shaq argument.

Findog
07-28-2009, 02:14 PM
Watching Suns fans devour their own is extremely entertaining.

da_suns_fan
07-28-2009, 02:16 PM

And worthless trivia is pointless. Just cause I happen to know Boston was the first NBA team to start 5 black players in one game doesn't make me a die hard Celtics fan.

ANYONE could look up Suns statistics and answer YOUR question (its Walter Davis, btw...I actually saw him play and I could tell you the retired his number in a game against the Nuggets).

But try answering some of MINE. I never asked for any stupid statistics.

Please, just answer one. Or admit that its really YOU who are the 2004 bandwagoner :lol:lol:lol:lol.
Oh, and I already explained why trading Shaq was an addition by subtraction.

Findog
07-28-2009, 02:18 PM
Hey, at least you guys stole Steve Nash from us. So you have that going for you...

da_suns_fan
07-28-2009, 02:19 PM

This kid is a fucking joke. Worse than Monos, Stretch, O-Factor, ATrain and even...what was his name....Johnny Ringo!

He dares call ME a 2004 bandwagoner? The fucking kid wasnt even around when KJ and Chambers were playing at the old Veterans Memorial Coliseum and he calls me a 2004 bandwagoner?

I had to put him in his place.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-28-2009, 02:20 PM
You cant win 61 games playing no defense.

A lot of the Suns defense was their offense because it tricked bad, undisciplined teams into taking stupid shots. The 2005-2007 era was also incredibly weak, that 2007 Suns team wouldn't sniff 61 wins in today's NBA.

The defense has gotten worse, I agree, but Kerr wasn't trading 2006 or 2007 Bell, he was trading the Raja Bell that was getting lit up by every SG he played leading up to the trade. He was also trading the Bell that demanded a trade.

Kurt Thomas was not Kerr's fault. It was D'antoni and Sarver's fault. D'antoni made it pretty clear he didn't like using Kurt Thomas at all.

JJ was Colangelo and Sarver's fault. It def. wasn't Kerr's fault.

The common denominator behind all of this was Sarver, so I blame him.

Findog
07-28-2009, 02:21 PM
This kid is a fucking joke. Worse than Monos, Stretch, O-Factor, ATrain and even...what was his name....Johnny Ringo!

He dares call ME a 2004 bandwagoner? The fucking kid wasnt even around when KJ and Chambers were playing at the old Veterans Memorial Coliseum and he calls me a 2004 bandwagoner?

I had to put him in his place.

You're both frustrated at the recent fortunes of your franchise. That's obvious. The fact that you're both still posting shows that you care about your team when they're down and not just when they win, so a little funny to see you two get into a pissing match over who has more "real fan" cred...You should be buddies.

dirk4mvp
07-28-2009, 02:21 PM
Hey, at least you guys stole Steve Nash from us. So you have that going for you...

Mav fan unity is impenetrable . . . except for mavfan1000.

da_suns_fan
07-28-2009, 02:22 PM
A lot of the Suns defense was their offense because it tricked bad, undisciplined teams into taking stupid shots. The 2005-2007 era was also incredibly weak, that 2007 Suns team wouldn't sniff 61 wins in today's NBA.

The defense has gotten worse, I agree, but Kerr wasn't trading 2006 or 2007 Bell, he was trading the Raja Bell that was getting lit up by every SG he played leading up to the trade. He was also trading the Bell that demanded a trade.

Kurt Thomas was not Kerr's fault. It was D'antoni and Sarver's fault. D'antoni made it pretty clear he didn't like using Kurt Thomas at all.

JJ was Colangelo and Sarver's fault. It def. wasn't Kerr's fault.

The common denominator behind all of this was Sarver, so I blame him.

Umm......okay. I dont know where that came from.

Answer one of my "Prove youre a real Suns fan" questions, please.

At least the Restaurant/Bill Simmons one. I gave you a huge freaking hint!!

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-28-2009, 02:22 PM
(its Walter Davis, btw...I actually saw him play and I could tell you the retired his number in a game against the Nuggets).

Then I apologize. That question separates the 2004 bandwagoners from the real fans.

EmantheSpursFan
07-28-2009, 02:23 PM

+1
haha i was thinking the same thing!!
:lmao:lmao:lmao

da_suns_fan
07-28-2009, 02:24 PM
You're both frustrated at the recent fortunes of your franchise. That's obvious. The fact that you're both still posting shows that you care about your team when they're down and not just when they win, so a little funny to see you two get into a pissing match over who has more "real fan" cred...You should be buddies.

I didnt question his "cred". Anyone who wants to be a Suns fan should be a Suns fan.

But he dares call me a "bandwagon" fan when he doesnt have the slightest clue what hes talking about.

Findog
07-28-2009, 02:24 PM

The Suns were an average defensive team at best. They weren't horrible when they had Kurt Thomas. And they won games by increasing # of possessions, where their offensive efficiency usually prevailed. The Spurs were just a bad matchup for them, and they kept running into them in the playoffs. Had they gotten a little luck in playoff assignments, they could've won a title. But since they kept running into San Antonio, going after Shaq and trying to address their matchup issues with the Spurs was a worthy gamble.

I think they would've had a decent shot to beat Miami in 2006 if they were healthy.

Findog
07-28-2009, 02:25 PM

That guy's not a Mav fan.

DPG21920
07-28-2009, 02:29 PM

Not true. Mono and I teamed up against Findog in pick up basketball once. :hat

da_suns_fan
07-28-2009, 02:31 PM
The Suns were an average defensive team at best. They weren't horrible when they had Kurt Thomas. And they won games by increasing # of possessions, where their offensive efficiency usually prevailed. The Spurs were just a bad matchup for them, and they kept running into them in the playoffs. Had they gotten a little luck in playoff assignments, they could've won a title. But since they kept running into San Antonio, going after Shaq and trying to address their matchup issues with the Spurs was a worthy gamble.

I think they would've had a decent shot to beat Miami in 2006 if they were healthy.

I would agree with everything here.

I dont like Jason Richardson and feel that everything he does for the Suns is already done by Leandro Barbosa (who does it for half as much). I wish they could trade him back for Boris (who is soft, but still has a phenomenal BBall IQ for a big man which we are desperate for now) and Raja Bell (who is declining but is CHEAP and still plays with heart).

Mojorizen7 claimed that this meant I was a sheep for SSOL which doesnt make any sense considering Richardson is a much worse defender than either Bell or Diaw.

I dont know these two and I dont think I want to know them. Maybe I'll just go back to phxsuns.net.

Findog
07-28-2009, 02:33 PM
I would agree with everything here.

I dont like Jason Richardson and feel that everything he does for the Suns is already done by Leandro Barbosa (who does it for half as much). I wish they could trade him back for Boris (who is soft, but still has a phenomenal BBall IQ for a big man which we are desperate for now) and Raja Bell (who is declining but is CHEAP and still plays with heart).

Mojorizen7 claimed that this meant I was a sheep for SSOL which doesnt make any sense considering Richardson is a much worse defender than either Bell or Diaw.

I dont know these two and I dont think I want to know them. Maybe I'll just go back to phxsuns.net.

You should stick around regardless. There's good discussion here. Those two guys are good posters too, it just looks like a personality conflict.

Findog
07-28-2009, 02:35 PM
Can I broker a peace between warring factions of Suns fans????

Stay tuned...

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-28-2009, 02:37 PM

Moron.

These are the questions that weren't before my time:

Ainge quit against the Mavericks.

The only team I remember Hardaway playing against that season was against Dallas, so that's my guess.

I believe Hardaway did first when he threatened his girlfriend with a gun.

And I honestly don't remember the Kidd thing. All I remember was crying like a pussy cause Kidd had been my favorite player since I started watching.

Amare had that game against Minnesota. It was 38 points btw.

This last question really bothers me. I thought Starbury hit a game winning three to win that game? I'm truly embarrassed if I don't remember that game right.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-28-2009, 02:38 PM
I dont like Jason Richardson

Something you and I agree on.

Findog
07-28-2009, 02:38 PM
Awww, they're being nice to one another....

Findog
07-28-2009, 02:39 PM
Did Jake Voskuhl hit a game-winner against the Spurs in 2003?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-28-2009, 02:41 PM
But he dares call me a "bandwagon" fan when he doesnt have the slightest clue what hes talking about.

I was wrong, my bad. Most people that think Bryan Colangelo was a great GM are generally bandwagoners.

Muser
07-28-2009, 02:45 PM
So does this mean no/limited Dragic?

Agloco
07-28-2009, 02:50 PM
Not only is the window open, they are throwing millions of dollars out of it.

rofl
:lol:lol:lol

duncan228
07-28-2009, 04:07 PM
Nash says Shaq will fit right in with LeBron (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-suns-nash&prov=ap&type=lgns)
By Rachel Cohen

One NBA star who has played with Shaquille O誰eal thinks the 37-year-old center will fit in just fine with LeBron James.

Two-time MVP Steve Nash told The Associated Press on Tuesday that he thinks O誰eal understands he is isn稚 in the prime of his career and will have to share the spotlight.

Nash痴 Phoenix Suns traded O誰eal to the Cleveland Cavaliers last month, where he値l looks to bring James his first championship.

Nash says O誰eal is still a great player but James is going to be the focal point.

mojorizen7
07-28-2009, 07:26 PM
DSF....i spend alot of time on an AZ SUNS board and i've identified a whole herd of sheep for SSOL over there :lol......so please don't feel singled out my brutha.:toast

I don't like JRich either(he's anti-clutch if you know what i mean) but Raja's skills as a lockdown defender were seriously beginning to erode and his shot was as streaky as ever......he became an all hustle guy IMO.....sort of like Majerle did late in his career.
We definately disagree on philosophy so lets just accept that.
Nash is the last head on the SSOL snake that just won't die and it pains me.

pauls931
07-28-2009, 08:32 PM

Damn, did you start following the suns in 2004? BTW Kidd and I thinking Manning went to denver to try to retrieve that traitor McDyess....

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-28-2009, 10:20 PM
Damn, did you start following the suns in 2004?

lol Suns fan that's never lived in Phoenix.

pauls931
07-28-2009, 10:33 PM
lol Suns fan that's never lived in Phoenix.

I'd feel bad if that came from a real suns fan.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-28-2009, 10:37 PM
I'd feel bad if that came from a real suns fan.

Have you even ever been to Phoenix?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-28-2009, 10:38 PM
lol "fan" of a team but not caring if they win a championship or not.

Rogue
07-28-2009, 10:56 PM
Not true. Mono and I teamed up against Findog in pick up basketball once. :hat
mono has gone since dude lost a bet about Gortat, on which mono bet the Magic wouldn't match the contract Donnie offered Gortat. Then dude hasn't posted ever since, though there are rumors dude is still posting on spurstalk under some troll names.

All in all, Mono actually is an honest man that follows what a bet requires, unlike some punk from Rockets fan base that continued to post one after another after losing a similar bet.

Jeremy
07-29-2009, 12:34 AM
Damn, did you start following the suns in 2004? BTW Kidd and I thinking Manning went to denver to try to retrieve that traitor McDyess....

Hmmm...I remember George McCloud and Rex Chapman going. Maybe Kidd, too.

EDIT: Yep, it was the three of them. Here's the story from the Detroit News, told recently:

It was January of 1999, and the lockout-shortened season was about to start. McDyess, who had played in Phoenix the previous season, was a free agent about to sign with Denver, his first NBA team.

"I didn't want to sign there," said McDyess, a forward. "I sort of had an in-between mind at that point."

Problem was, he had given a verbal commitment to the Nuggets, and they had flown him in on the eve of training camp to sign the contract.

"When I got to Denver, I just felt like that wasn't the place for me," he said. "So I called Jason Kidd (his teammate in Phoenix the previous season) and told him, 'I don't know if I want to sign here, man.' He said, 'Just stay right there and don't do nothing you don't want to do. I will be there soon.' "

Kidd, along with Suns teammates George McCloud and Rex Chapman, chartered a plane and flew through a blizzard into Denver that night.

"I was at a (Colorado Avalanche) hockey game (in the owner's suite) and I wasn't going to sign until they got there," McDyess said.

But McDyess said Dan Issel, Denver's coach and general manager at the time, knew Kidd's rescue party was on the way, and instructed security and ticket sellers at McNichols Arena to keep Kidd and company out of the building.

"I mean, it was a blizzard outside, and they wouldn't let those guys inside the arena. They kept them out in the snow," McDyess said. "It was crazy times."

McDyess, true to his character, honored his verbal commitment to the Nuggets and played four more seasons with them. But he's always regretted the decision he made on that snowy night.

http://www.denverstiffs.com/2008/12/16/694902/why-antonio-mcdyess-did-no

LOL. I still remember that crazy night, getting updates on KTAR.

Culburn369
07-29-2009, 03:55 AM
Nash deal shouldn't be criticized (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2009/07/28/20090728bickleynash0729.html)

http://i.azcentral.com/i/sized/A/C/D/e298/j350/PHP4A6FBA0588DCA.jpg
With Steve Nash and Grant Hill, there could be no better duo to mentor and shape a new era of Suns basketball.

by Dan Bickley - Jul. 28, 2009 07:48 PM
The Arizona Republic

Go ahead. Tear down Steve Nash. Pick apart his defense. Question his value. Show your ignorance to the rest of the basketball world.

Three years ago, Nash became the only two-time NBA MVP in the history of the Suns. Considering his stature and physical limitations, it was one of the more-remarkable feats in league history. Everyone in Arizona loved him back then.

Now, many fans seem to think he's overpaid, overrated and a bad investment for a team with zero chance to win a championship in the near future. Some even call him a liability.

These are the same people who drove Mike D'Antoni to the brink of insanity.
"I feel as fit and as athletic as I've ever been," Nash said.

When Nash agreed to a two-year extension with the Suns, the skepticism began anew. Nash was giving up his last chance to chase that elusive NBA championship. He was returning to a team where cost control trumps all, a diminished outfit now parked outside the circle of contenders.

Nash cited a love of community and organization, and surely, many die-hards and blue-hairs want to give the point guard a big hug. But others questioned his competitive zeal, as if this were proof of some flaw in his athletic genetic code.

Randy Johnson heard the same things when he signed with the Diamondbacks in 1999, and in 2001, he was holding up a championship trophy.

Granted, there will be no such ending for Nash. Unless he is traded, he will join the fraternity of impact players who never won a title, a list that includes Charles Barkley, Karl Malone, John Stockton and Patrick Ewing. That notoriety will follow him for the rest of his life, and on some level, it has to sting.

"You know what? I enjoy life too much to look back a lot," Nash said of the past five years. "I have too much to look forward to each day, too much left to accomplish and work for. Yeah, it's a shame and it hurts, if I take a minute to stop and think about it. But I don't really have any regrets, and I look forward to continuing to improve and being part of a great environment and a great team."

That isn't exactly true. Occasionally, Nash can get bitter, just like the rest of us: "No one gave us Pau Gasol for nothing," he said.

Nash isn't a charity worker, either, and maybe money has a lot to do with this. Maybe Nash wasn't going to command a $22 million extension anywhere else, and maybe his future options were limited. But in the end, he didn't have to commit to a rebuilding project in Phoenix. Same goes for Grant Hill, who brushed off an insulting initial offer from the team and signed on anyway.

For a franchise that already is on tenuous ground, the net effect is enormous.

Bash Nash, if you must. Like everyone else, he gets burned by the best point guards in the league. But he takes more charges than anyone in the building. His dedication to training and team-building are unquestioned, maybe unparalleled. Meanwhile, his performance clearly was hampered last season by the demands of Shaquille O'Neal, and the awkward attempts to implement a new system.

But just like Kurt Warner, Nash can work magic in the right system, with the right group of guys. And in one of their darker hours, the Suns now are in the hands of two great sportsmen, two men who sated their egos a long time ago.

With Nash and Hill, there could be no better duo to mentor and shape a new era of Suns basketball. For that, Valley fans should feel lucky. It could be a lot worse.

mojorizen7
07-29-2009, 04:35 AM
I love Bickley(especially because i can always count on him for the "blue-hairs" reference :lol).........but he's way off here.
Comparing the first Randy Johnson signing in '99....? Lets compare it to the second time RJ came to PHX....thats more accurate.
ANd I don't question Nashy's competitive zeal either....i'm just SICK AND FUCKING TIRED of SSOL and pathetic defense.

That last line about Nash & Hill shaping the SUNS future?...?!http://www.realramsfans.com/images/smiles/puke.gif

Hey DoK, is there any room on that OKC bandwagon thats loading up?
I've put in 20 years with this franchise....I've believed in, and supported everything they've ever done(including D'Antoni's phony gimmickry) right up until the KT/2 first rd picks to Portland for cash trade.....
I'm t...h....i.....s....... fucking close to pulling a Matt Dillon at the end of "The Outsiders."

pauls931
07-29-2009, 08:34 AM
Hmmm...I remember George McCloud and Rex Chapman going. Maybe Kidd, too.

EDIT: Yep, it was the three of them. Here's the story from the Detroit News, told recently:

LOL. I still remember that crazy night, getting updates on KTAR.

Ya, I was still in college when that happened. That killed me since McDyess was essentially the Amare of the league back then possesing size and athleticism. I'm amazed he's still around, though a distant shadow of his former self.

I can't remember the game, but there was one awesome play where Manning received a pass in the key facing the basket and then did a reverse scoop shot sending the ball behind him. Then frickin' mcdyess comes out of no where and catches it for the jam.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-29-2009, 08:45 AM
Nash deal shouldn't be criticized (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2009/07/28/20090728bickleynash0729.html)

http://i.azcentral.com/i/sized/A/C/D/e298/j350/PHP4A6FBA0588DCA.jpg
With Steve Nash and Grant Hill, there could be no better duo to mentor and shape a new era of Suns basketball.

by Dan Bickley - Jul. 28, 2009 07:48 PM
The Arizona Republic

Go ahead. Tear down Steve Nash. Pick apart his defense. Question his value. Show your ignorance to the rest of the basketball world.

Three years ago, Nash became the only two-time NBA MVP in the history of the Suns. Considering his stature and physical limitations, it was one of the more-remarkable feats in league history. Everyone in Arizona loved him back then.

Now, many fans seem to think he's overpaid, overrated and a bad investment for a team with zero chance to win a championship in the near future. Some even call him a liability.

These are the same people who drove Mike D'Antoni to the brink of insanity.
"I feel as fit and as athletic as I've ever been," Nash said.

When Nash agreed to a two-year extension with the Suns, the skepticism began anew. Nash was giving up his last chance to chase that elusive NBA championship. He was returning to a team where cost control trumps all, a diminished outfit now parked outside the circle of contenders.

Nash cited a love of community and organization, and surely, many die-hards and blue-hairs want to give the point guard a big hug. But others questioned his competitive zeal, as if this were proof of some flaw in his athletic genetic code.

Randy Johnson heard the same things when he signed with the Diamondbacks in 1999, and in 2001, he was holding up a championship trophy.

Granted, there will be no such ending for Nash. Unless he is traded, he will join the fraternity of impact players who never won a title, a list that includes Charles Barkley, Karl Malone, John Stockton and Patrick Ewing. That notoriety will follow him for the rest of his life, and on some level, it has to sting.

"You know what? I enjoy life too much to look back a lot," Nash said of the past five years. "I have too much to look forward to each day, too much left to accomplish and work for. Yeah, it's a shame and it hurts, if I take a minute to stop and think about it. But I don't really have any regrets, and I look forward to continuing to improve and being part of a great environment and a great team."

That isn't exactly true. Occasionally, Nash can get bitter, just like the rest of us: "No one gave us Pau Gasol for nothing," he said.

Nash isn't a charity worker, either, and maybe money has a lot to do with this. Maybe Nash wasn't going to command a $22 million extension anywhere else, and maybe his future options were limited. But in the end, he didn't have to commit to a rebuilding project in Phoenix. Same goes for Grant Hill, who brushed off an insulting initial offer from the team and signed on anyway.

For a franchise that already is on tenuous ground, the net effect is enormous.

Bash Nash, if you must. Like everyone else, he gets burned by the best point guards in the league. But he takes more charges than anyone in the building. His dedication to training and team-building are unquestioned, maybe unparalleled. Meanwhile, his performance clearly was hampered last season by the demands of Shaquille O'Neal, and the awkward attempts to implement a new system.

But just like Kurt Warner, Nash can work magic in the right system, with the right group of guys. And in one of their darker hours, the Suns now are in the hands of two great sportsmen, two men who sated their egos a long time ago.

With Nash and Hill, there could be no better duo to mentor and shape a new era of Suns basketball. For that, Valley fans should feel lucky. It could be a lot worse.

The Arizona Republic's sports writers are a joke, Bickley in particular

Culburn369
07-29-2009, 09:09 AM

Not true, DUNCAN, sure they're bagmen for the Suns, but, they don't speak in tongues and they talk about bread & butter issues. I love reading it. Even the girl (Boivin) is down to earth and easily understood.

The writers get deep access so they know whence they write. Rarely are they wrong. And we know why: they're bagmen for the Suns and while the Suns don't write the actual story, they give a rough outline for dissemination to local Media. Probably outside NYC every city does similiar shenanigans.

I'm just grateful to read Suns stuff. Ya can't beat it especially when the bastards are non title contenders and I can relax whilst reading.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-29-2009, 10:30 AM
Their facts are never wrong Cubby, their homeristic opinions are just horrible.

You know if Nash got traded, Bickley would have written a piece about how bad Nash's defense is, how his MVP's don't matter anymore, and how he needed to go. Not saying I wouldn't agree with it, my point is he writes whatever Sarver wants him to.

da_suns_fan
07-29-2009, 10:51 AM

No one on this planet has devoted more time and effort to blasting Robert Sarver's frugalness and poor decision making than Dan Bickley.

Culburn369
07-29-2009, 11:07 AM
No one on this planet has devoted more time and effort to blasting Robert Sarver's frugalness and poor decision making than Dan Bickley.

You kinda gave this guy a rough time too, da:::

"Dear Steve Kerr,

Blow me.

Love,

da_suns_fan"

I got mixed up in my place twixt the two Boards and "copy" ed it over there, but, alas could not paste it. LOL!

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-29-2009, 11:16 AM

I don't really remember any articles where he's questioned the Suns decision making. I hate his "It could be worse" attitude more than anything.

Culburn369
07-29-2009, 11:23 AM
I hate his "It could be worse" attitude more than anything.

lol!!!!!! It fools 2 out of every 3 people. Can't beat that average.

TFloss32
07-29-2009, 11:31 AM

A crowbar couldn't get that window open. Poor Suns...

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-29-2009, 11:37 AM
If you have a beaten up piece of shit as a car that worked great 3 years ago but it's ready to fall apart now, do you say, "It could be worse, I could have no car, I owe it to this car because it worked so well 3 years ago," and then proceed to dump a whole bunch of money into that beaten up piece of shit just so it can perform for another three years at a mediocre level and then break down, or do you get value for the car while you can and then start saving money for a new car which will provide a long term solution to your problem?

Culburn369
07-29-2009, 11:44 AM
A crowbar couldn't get that window open. Poor Suns...

There was never any [open window]. They never got into an elimination event in the conference finals. They got two victories in, no more. They beat a Smushed LA team that Kobe quit on & they let Horry & the Spurs pull their pants down.

SSOL is a crutch for teams that won't put it ALL out there and take the result, unconditionally. With SSOL you can always fall back on the entertainment & curious angles and avoid condemnation with the assured ultimate failure.

Kamnik
07-29-2009, 11:53 AM
So Suns are commited to non contending...

Nice really; I want Dragic to get as much playing time as possible and then get out of that shithole.

Nash went from one of my favourite players to one of the ones I simply hate. What a looser.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-29-2009, 12:12 PM
There was never any [open window]. They never got into an elimination event in the conference finals.

Cubby, c'mon, the window is clearly shut now and has clearly been shut since 2007, but it was open at some point. If Amare is healthy in 2006 and KT + Bell never get injured, they probably win it all. In 2005 Dallas had no answers to the Amare Nash pick and roll and didn't add anyone who would be able to limit it the following off season. Phoenix forced game 6 and blew a huge lead in that game because the team simply ran out of gas after playing 2 straight 7 game series with down to the wire overtime games in each series. If Amare and KT are healthy, they beat the Lakers in 5 games and the Clippers in 5-6 games. It's remarkable they even made it that far with a guy they signed in 50+ games into that season as the starting power forward.

But whether or not the window was open then, it is shut now, and for all intensive purposes, SSOL was a failed experiment. The belief was your team needed to be great defensively and have a great half court inside out offense before the Suns SSOL era began, and that era has done nothing to debunk that belief.

da_suns_fan
07-29-2009, 02:14 PM
You kinda gave this guy a rough time too, da:::

"Dear Steve Kerr,

Blow me.

Love,

da_suns_fan"

I got mixed up in my place twixt the two Boards and "copy" ed it over there, but, alas could not paste it. LOL!

Cubby, are you lurking around phxsuns.net? :lol

Wait a second...do you have an account there? Its extremely exclusive (you cant just register) so I assume you do not.

Do you post there under another moniker?

btw - I told Steve Kerr to blow me over the stupid spin he spewed out in that "letter to Suns fans". Thats nothing compared to what Id like to say to Robert Sarver.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-29-2009, 02:22 PM

Wait a second...do you have an account there? Its extremely exclusive (you cant just register) so I assume you do not.

btw - I told Steve Kerr to blow me over the stupid spin he spewed out in that "letter to Suns fans". Thats nothing compared to what Id like to say to Robert Sarver.

:lmao

It's funny you actually sent that to Kerr. Once Sarver sent out a letter to anyone that has bought tickets through the team or through the ticket exchange inviting them to a party about the advantages of being a season ticket holder.

I sent a letter back inviting Sarver to a party (that didn't exist) about the advantages of keeping 1st round picks.

Culburn369
07-29-2009, 04:26 PM

Yes, I read it religiously. But I can't get in. Haven't been able to in many years. You could talk to them, da, & get me back in. Tell them I'd turn over a new leaf, that I would'nt O & 41 'em and that I'd post no pictures of naughtiness, male or female. Tell 'em old Cubby wants to bury the old proverbial with 'em. What say, old horse?