PDA

View Full Version : Oddsmakers see Lakers as NBA favorites, with or without Lamar Odom

j-money24
07-27-2009, 08:40 PM
By Lance Pugmire
5:35 PM PDT, July 27, 2009
No reason to panic, Lakers fans.

Whether free agent Lamar Odom stays in Los Angeles or leaves for the Miami Heat, Las Vegas bookmakers said Monday they don't anticipate anything that would drop the Lakers from their perch as preseason favorites to win the NBA championship -- again.

"Getting [forward Ron] Artest is better than losing Lamar," said Jay Rood, director of the MGM/Mirage Race and Sports Book. The Lakers signed free agent Artest this month. "The core of that team still is what it is, and as long as you keep Kobe [Bryant] and [Coach] Phil [Jackson], nothing changes."

At MGM/Mirage, the Lakers are an 8-5 favorite to win the NBA title, followed by the Boston Celtics, and recent addition Rasheed Wallace, at 3-1, and the Cleveland Cavaliers, with Shaquille O'Neal joining LeBron James, at nearly 4-1. The Orlando Magic are 13-2 and the San Antonio Spurs are 7-1.

"We didn't change anything when they got Artest, and if they lose Odom it'll just be a wash," said Jay Kornegay, executive director of the Las Vegas Hilton's Race and Sports book, which has the Lakers as the 2-1 favorite over the 3-1 Cavaliers and 5-1 Celtics. "Odom's a component, but he's not a star. As that team has already shown, if they lose someone, they'll find someone else."

Those who assess these situations, with millions of dollars on the line, believe the possible loss of Odom will not diminish support for what is essentially Las Vegas' hometown team.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-odom-lakers-28-2009jul28,0,2985902.story

Spursfan092120
07-27-2009, 08:45 PM
Agree to disagree

IronMexican
07-27-2009, 08:46 PM
:)

KSeal
07-27-2009, 08:51 PM
I look forward to everyone counting out LA once Lamar leaves, it'll make it that much more enjoyable when we win it all again.

robbie380
07-27-2009, 08:53 PM
By Lance Pugmire
5:35 PM PDT, July 27, 2009
No reason to panic, Lakers fans.

Whether free agent Lamar Odom stays in Los Angeles or leaves for the Miami Heat, Las Vegas bookmakers said Monday they don't anticipate anything that would drop the Lakers from their perch as preseason favorites to win the NBA championship -- again.

"Getting [forward Ron] Artest is better than losing Lamar," said Jay Rood, director of the MGM/Mirage Race and Sports Book. The Lakers signed free agent Artest this month. "The core of that team still is what it is, and as long as you keep Kobe [Bryant] and [Coach] Phil [Jackson], nothing changes."

At MGM/Mirage, the Lakers are an 8-5 favorite to win the NBA title, followed by the Boston Celtics, and recent addition Rasheed Wallace, at 3-1, and the Cleveland Cavaliers, with Shaquille O'Neal joining LeBron James, at nearly 4-1. The Orlando Magic are 13-2 and the San Antonio Spurs are 7-1.

"We didn't change anything when they got Artest, and if they lose Odom it'll just be a wash," said Jay Kornegay, executive director of the Las Vegas Hilton's Race and Sports book, which has the Lakers as the 2-1 favorite over the 3-1 Cavaliers and 5-1 Celtics. "Odom's a component, but he's not a star. As that team has already shown, if they lose someone, they'll find someone else."

Those who assess these situations, with millions of dollars on the line, believe the possible loss of Odom will not diminish support for what is essentially Las Vegas' hometown team.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-odom-lakers-28-2009jul28,0,2985902.story

it's like they forgot they lost ariza too.:lol

IronMexican
07-27-2009, 08:54 PM
Spurfan, quit ducking me. I want my rematch on NCAA.

Spursfan092120
07-27-2009, 08:55 PM
Spurfan, quit ducking me. I want my rematch on NCAA.
lol..duckin you? Don't make me tell everyone what the score was. :D Next time we're both on, it's on.

j-money24
People don't realize that signing Ron Artest makes the Lakers that tough. But IMO, The Lakers would not be the Favorites without Odom but they would still be a legit Contender.

Spursfan092120
You still lost... damn.
I did? When was this?

Spursfan092120
07-27-2009, 08:57 PM
People don't realize that signing Ron Artest makes the Lakers that tough. But IMO, The Lakers would not be the Favorites without Odom but they would still be a legit Contender.
I do agree that signing Artest adds a bit of toughness, and you will definitely be VERY legit contenders no matter what. But you do have to admit that adding Artest also adds a bit of uneasiness, and if a team is going to blow up, Ron Artest will probably be a part of it.

IronMexican
07-27-2009, 08:57 PM
lol..duckin you? Don't make me tell everyone what the score was. :D Next time we're both on, it's on.

Thats why you conviniently logged off when I sent you that message. I will be on around 8, maybe a little earlier. I'll play you if you're on. I need a mic, too, though. It's hard to pay attention when I don't have one, cause I feel like I'm playing the PC.

IronMexican
07-27-2009, 09:00 PM
Hey Burrito, I will dominate you in NCAA. I will make you feel the wrath of JACQUIZZ RODGERS. I will guarantee over 350 yards rushing on you.

Hey ugly version of Mark Sanchez, get a 360 and I'll smash you.

Amaso
07-27-2009, 09:07 PM
It'll be disappointing if Lamar leaves, because I think the Lakers are pretty close to unbeatable if Lamar stays. If Lamar goes, we'll still probably be favorites with Bynum/Kobe/Gasol/Artest as our 4 best players... but it will definitely be more interesting.

Spursfan092120
07-27-2009, 09:26 PM
Thats why you conviniently logged off when I sent you that message. I will be on around 8, maybe a little earlier. I'll play you if you're on. I need a mic, too, though. It's hard to pay attention when I don't have one, cause I feel like I'm playing the PC.
lmao..I was playing an Online Dynasty game when you sent that...sorry man..we'll go again tonight.