PDA

View Full Version : Who got skillz?

mrblonde17
04-07-2005, 05:33 PM
I'm curious...how many people in here play basketball? The basketball IQ in here is pretty damn high, so I'm certainly not suggesting that if you don't play you can't understand the game. I've noticed over the years that some of the biggest basketball fans and sports fans I've known haven't actually played the sport or at least not with an organized team.

My dad was a basketball coach for years and years. He was the head coach at Judson between '72 and '75 in fact. I grew up with the game and still love lacing up my Nikes. I'm pushing 38 and could still dunk as of a few years ago...the knees don't care for that action any longer. I play on a few courts in South Austin and have noticed that some of the younger guys don't have the basketball knowledge that guys my age have. I met John Wooden when I was 10 and felt like I had been blessed after that encounter. Some of my students look at me like an alien when I bring up names like John Havlicek, Cazzie Russell, Connie Hawkins, George Gervin, and even Dr. J.
DR. FREAKIN' J!! All they know is LeBron, Carmelo, A.I., Shaq, and Kobe. These are kids that play the game, but have no appreciation for the history of the game.

I've met Spurs fans at games that know the league and its history backwards and forwards. These guys know the X's and O's. They understand the dynamic of the game and completely get the nuances of the sport. The more I talk to them, I realize that most of them haven't played beyond shooting 3-pointers in the driveway. I know this isn't always the case, but I do see it quite a bit.

Anyone want to venture a reason?

jalbre6
04-07-2005, 05:43 PM
My guess: it's the only pro game in San Antonio. The Spurs have been very competitive over the years and quite often are the biggest story in the local sports page, talk radio, and lead off the sports part of the TV news on a nightly basis.

I'd guess that the football knowledge in Green Bay is pretty high too, even among those that never played.

MannyIsGod
04-07-2005, 05:48 PM
I agree ENTIRELY with the opinion that people who play the game know the game much more. When you play on a level or with people who know how to pass and do the little things on defense, such as rotate, you simply understand the game on a different level. I love people that appreciate a good pick, or a solid smart pass. There are many things that never hit the stat sheet or make it to Sports Center that are absolutely crucial.

Which is why I love watching players like Beno, Manu, and Barry, they are absolute masters at passing and the little thing. Basketball is amazing when played right.

I've played ball with quite a few of the people on this board. I'm notorious for wanting people to move without the ball. "Cut Patrick, CUT!" Some have played organized, some have not. I've played in several leauges and tournaments, but thats as high as my playing experience goes.

I will say this. The teams who end up winning the FSP tournaments are usually the ones who know how to play. It's never just a team who doesn't have solid fundementals. It's always a team that plays good cohesive defense and knows how to pass the ball with each other.

All in all, I think many of the people here who play do have a better understanding of the game because of it.

timvp
04-07-2005, 06:09 PM
I agree ENTIRELY with the opinion that people who play the game know the game much more.

I don't agree with that. I've played the game for a long time but playing and knowing the game are two different things. Some people who play the game can't really breakdown the strengths and weaknesses of a team by watching. Some people who have never touched a basketball are geniuses when it comes to the game.

To say you have to have played the game to understand it completely is overrating what it takes to play the game and underrating the mental aspect of the game.

MannyIsGod
04-07-2005, 06:15 PM
I don't agree with that. I've played the game for a long time but playing and knowing the game are two different things. Some people who play the game can't really breakdown the strengths and weaknesses of a team by watching. Some people who have never touched a basketball are geniuses when it comes to the game.

To say you have to have played the game to understand it completely is overrating what it takes to play the game and underrating the mental aspect of the game.

Let me rephrase, I think that there is a corilation between people who know the game, and playing it well. In other words, I think some of the people who play the best ball are those who understand the nuances of the game. I think I just phrased it backwards before.

Clandestino
04-07-2005, 06:29 PM
Let me rephrase, I think that there is a corilation between people who know the game, and playing it well. In other words, I think some of the people who play the best ball are those who understand the nuances of the game. I think I just phrased it backwards before.

first thread i ever may have slightly agreed with manny on...

but yeah, i think it is that way in any sport.. if you have at least played it, you will better be able to understand it and follow it...

SpursWoman
04-07-2005, 06:45 PM
but yeah, i think it is that way in any sport.. if you have at least played it, you will better be able to understand it and follow it...

I don't think it's necessarily true that you have to have played....significant exposure can be plenty. I KNOW the game of baseball, because I've been around it my entire life...but I can count on one hand how many times I've picked up a bat.

My knowledge of basketball is a lot better now than when I actually played.

:fro

mrblonde17
04-07-2005, 06:57 PM
I'm with you Manny. I love watching fundamentally sound ball players. I've been a Spurs fans since they first arrived in SA. Some of those earlier teams were amazing to watch from an offensive level, but somehow those guys never learned anything about defense. As much as I love the Iceman, he was never one to play much defense. However, since Pop took over for Hill, I think the Spurs have become the most fundamentally sound team in the league. (i.e., people think they're boring) I love a well run pick-and-roll. I think passing is the most underrated skill in the game. I'm sick of the sports media outlets brainwashing the younger players into thinking this game is about dunks and three-point shots. The people that observe to appreciate this the most, fundamental basketball, are very often folks that have never played.