PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed in Spurs Fans (over the Odom situation)

MarHill
07-27-2009, 09:06 PM
As A Spurs fan on this forum I like debating Mav fan, Rocket Fan, Blazer fan, and of course Laker fan!!!

However, I have to turn my attenion to Spurs fans!!! Especially the way some of the spoiled Spurs fans have posted that Lamar Odom should go to the Miami Heat.

Are Spoiled Spurs fans weak-willed? Do they lack guts? :bang

I (along with a few other Spurs fans) have wanted Odom to remain with the Lakers. They are the NBA Champs (like it or not) and he was a key factor in order for them it to win a championship!!

In order to be the best....you want to beat the best!! Remember the Spurs have arguably (along with the Lakers) been the best team of the decade!!!

Look at how Mavs fans (on this forum) are so celebratory about beating the Spurs in a playoff series...even though they haven't won a championship!!!:wow

Do you want to our Spurs to beat the Lakers at full strength next season? Absolutely!!! You never run away from a challenge by wishing your opponent be a little weaker?????

So what that Lakaluva, DrHouse, 21_Blessings, and the other obnoxious Lakers fans take their shot at the Spurs especially these last 2 seasons. It has taken the Lakers seven years to win a championship and the Spurs have re-tooled this offseason....to go for it again!!!

And if they win....it will be that much greater.

For example, I've always enjoyed the 2005 championship the best. The Pistons were legitimately the best in the east that year and the Finals went to 7 games. It may not be have been the greatest series in the league.....but the best two teams went at it and either team could have won that series.

But the Spurs won it and it makes the championship all the more sweeter!!!:flag:

So I as a Spurs fan want Odom to stay a Laker and when the Spurs beat this season in WCF........so much better!!! And shutting Lakers fans up will be beautiful!!! :lmao:lmao:lmao

I disappointed that a Spurs fan would have a post with praying hands that Odom would to go Miami!!! Please! I do pray...but not for that!!

C'mon Spurs fans let hope that Odom stays in L.A.!!

Stop being wimpy and weak-minded!!!! And root for the Spurs to knock them off at full strength!!!

:flag:

:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt: :lobt:(Drive for Five!!!!!)

celldweller
07-27-2009, 09:08 PM
:rolleyes

LongtimeSpursFan
07-27-2009, 09:08 PM
Meh

pkbpkb81
07-27-2009, 09:14 PM
stfu

win by any means necessary

DrHouse
07-27-2009, 09:15 PM
I'm willing to bet most Spur fans just care about winning another championship. HOW they do that I'm not sure anyone really cares.

I crack up every time I read a Spur fan start talking about the Laker's path to the title in '09. They wouldn't give two shits if the Spurs followed the exact same path en route to an NBA championship.

MarHill
07-27-2009, 09:15 PM
stfu

whatever.......

are you that scared as a Spurs fan about Odom? If the Spurs are the better team then they will beat the Lakers!!

Stop being wimpy!!!:bang

z0sa
07-27-2009, 09:17 PM
I'm willing to bet most Spur fans just care about winning another championship. HOW they do that I'm not sure anyone really cares.

I crack up every time I read a Spur fan start talking about the Laker's path to the title in '09. They wouldn't give two shits if the Spurs followed the exact same path en route to an NBA championship.

no one is denying the lakers won a ship.
your team just didn't do jack shit for it, dumbass.

MarHill
07-27-2009, 09:18 PM

I believe you missed my point, DrHouse!!

I didn't criticize how the Lakers won the title!!

I'm criticizing how some Spurs fans are wishing and hoping and even praying that Odom goes to Miami!!

That's silly!

The Lakers are the champs and if the Spurs beat them next season....we should want it at full strength.

hater

you mean cheating by getting an Allstar for Kwame Brown?? I would not mind if Spurs could do that. Too bad our front office has something called integrity. :)

DrHouse
no one is denying the lakers won a ship.
your team just didn't do jack shit for it, dumbass.

I know it's not like they won 65 games in the regular season.

They were just some fluke BS lotto team that lucked out because everyone was injured.

DrHouse
07-27-2009, 09:19 PM

I'm criticizing how some Spurs fans are wishing and hoping and even praying that Odom goes to Miami!!

That's silly!

The Lakers are the champs and if the Spurs beat them next season....we should wanted at full strength.

It's funny that you actually believe Spur fans are any different from NBA fans around the world.

DrHouse
07-27-2009, 09:20 PM
you mean cheating by getting an Allstar for Kwame Brown?? I would not mind if Spurs could do that. Too bad our front office has something called integrity. :)

Which is why they tanked in '97 to get Duncan.

hater
07-27-2009, 09:20 PM

keep telling yourself that

TheProfessor
07-27-2009, 09:21 PM

I figured it wouldn't take long for a vulture like yourself to swoop in to this idiotic thread.

pkbpkb81
07-27-2009, 09:22 PM
whatever.......

are you that scared as a Spurs fan about Odom? If the Spurs are the better team then they will beat the Lakers!!

Stop being wimpy!!!:bang

no i am not scared of odom i just dont give a fuck what team he plays for.

i also dont give a fuck how the spurs win if kobe gets hit by a truck and the spurs sweep the lakers sweet

JsnSA
07-27-2009, 09:23 PM
This topic is stupid.

MarHill
07-27-2009, 09:25 PM
It's funny that you actually believe Spur fans are any different from NBA fans around the world.

I'm not that naive!!

I know there are Spurs fans that want Odom to be gone and Gasol to be traded and so on and so on.......

Still...most Spurs fans appreciated '05 championship because the beat the best team that year to win a title!!

Yeah, I know beating the Lakers would get them out of the west.....still the Lakers are the champs and Spurs fans should want Odom to stay in L.A.

You go back to when the 49ers and Cowboys ruled the NFC in the 90s. Both teams fans want to beat each other and players on each team measured themselves to each other!!

Same analogy works here!!

In order to be the best...you got the beat the best!!!

MarHill
07-27-2009, 09:26 PM
no i am not scared of odom i just dont give a fuck what team he plays for.

i also dont give a fuck how the spurs win if kobe gets hit by a truck and the spurs sweep the lakers sweet

You are making my point exactly!!

To beat the Lakers without Kobe.....oh yeah that's great!!

:bang

MarHill
07-27-2009, 09:27 PM
This topic is stupid.

Actually it isn't!!

You are helping make my point about weak-minded Spurs fans!

Thanks!:toast

TheProfessor
07-27-2009, 09:34 PM
Actually it isn't!!

You are helping make my point about weak-minded Spurs fans!

Thanks!:toast
There is other punctuation besides the exclamation mark. Just saying.

DesignatedT
07-27-2009, 09:35 PM
I dont care what it is as long as its anything to help duncan get his 5th before the rapist and snaq.

so therefore i hope odom leaves and bynum tears his ACL.

Duncan deserves 5

MarHill
07-27-2009, 09:36 PM
There is other punctuation besides the exclamation mark. Just saying.

The Professor,

You are right.

It is a bad habit of mine!!!!! :lol

:toast

duncan228
07-27-2009, 09:39 PM

Second time today this came up.

I never understood how breaking your foot and having a screw put in could be considered tanking. Not to mention that the Celtics had the best shot at Duncan, there was no guarantee the Spurs would get the pick.

NBA: Robinson to miss 6 weeks with broken foot
The Boston Globe
December 25, 1996

San Antonio Spurs star center David Robinson, who missed the first 18 games of the season with back pain, was placed on the injured list yesterday after suffering a broken left foot. Robinson is expected to miss approximately six weeks and was scheduled to undergo surgery Friday to insert a screw into his fifth metatarsal.

Kori Ellis
07-27-2009, 09:41 PM
For all you know, the Lakers could end up being a better team next year without Lamar Odom. So, I'm not sure how wanting the Lakers to sign him (or not wanting the Lakers to sign him) correlates to wanting the Lakers to "be at their best" or "be at full strength."

Teams change in the offseason. It's not like people are saying "I hope Lamar Odom breaks his leg" a week before the playoffs start so that the Spurs would have to play a crippled team in the postseason.

hater
07-27-2009, 09:42 PM
I would not be surprised if Odom leaves LA. and midseason Lakers trade Adam Morrison for Keving Durant.

daslicer
07-27-2009, 09:45 PM
Please enough with this win with honor crap. I'm sure Lakerfans were happy when Drob retired after '03 and seeng Jax bolt during the summertime. I definitely believe if teh spurs kept Jax they sweep the Lakers in '04 easily without breaking sweat. Granted Jax is better then Manu,Tim,Tony but that goes to show you how important a role a player besides the main guys can have on a teams title run. If Odom leaves yeah I will be happy to some degree knowing their bench is filled with shit but if he stays it is what it is.

bishopospurs
07-27-2009, 09:47 PM
Well said Kori. I want the Spurs to beat the best teams heading to the Finals. How sweet was the western conference playoffs in 03? Beating LA after winning multiple championships was amazing.

MarHill
07-27-2009, 09:48 PM
For all you know, the Lakers could end up being a better team next year without Lamar Odom. So, I'm not sure how wanting the Lakers to sign him (or not wanting the Lakers to sign him) correlates to wanting the Lakers to "be at their best" or "be at full strength."

Teams change in the offseason. It's not like people are saying "I hope Lamar Odom breaks his leg" a week before the playoffs start so that the Spurs would have to play a crippled team in the postseason.

Kori,

You have a legitimate point about the Lakers could be better without Odom next year.

While I haven't read some folks posting that they hope Odom breaks his leg....there have been posts of praying hands and wishing and wanting him to leave so the Spurs could win the west next season.

That's what I'm objecting too!! Also, I believe Odom was the X-factor on the Lakers and when he played well....they were very difficult to beat.

I look at the two regular season games against Cle and Bos on the road and his playoff series against Utah and Den...to show how effective he was.

Lastly with me wanting him to come back....is the same team that won the championship and I as a Spurs fan would like them to face the Lakers with him than without him!!

The Lakers fans would never stop on this forum...if the Spurs beat them w/o Odom next season in the playoffs.

Manu-of-steel
07-27-2009, 09:50 PM
a ring is still a ring. we were beaten by the lakers in the 2008 WCF because of injury to manu- did anyone place an asterisk to that win by the lakers? last year, manu was out of the playoff, and TD was hobbled with injury and we got beaten by the mavs. The point is- i don't care if odom goes to miami and we beat the lakers. nobody will say-oh, it's becasue the lakers did not have odom in the line up. I'll take the easier path to the finals, than to win a gruelling match with any western team, and leave us susceptible to exhaustion and defeat in the NBA finals.

daslicer
07-27-2009, 09:55 PM
The Lakers fans would never stop on this forum...if the Spurs beat them w/o Odom next season in the playoffs.

Haven't you learned by now most of their fans are dumbasses and that no matter what they will always make an excuse. After '99 it was the asterick crap then in '03 it was they didn't have Rick Fox. If the spurs win against them even at full strength they will still come up with bs and that is why I could careless if the spurs beat them with or without Odom. Fuck them and fuck their fans. If the spurs win even with their team crippled I would still enjoy it seeing their fans having to deal with losing to the spurs much like I'm sure they take great joy in winning their title this year despite what opposing fans say about their team getting lucky. Bottom line I hate those motherfuckers. Like Malcom X once said "By any mean necessary" I apply that to winning. At the end of the day nobody remembers losers even if they were cheated out of winning.

MarHill
07-27-2009, 09:56 PM
I admire your guts, but laugh at your stupidity. Your Spur brethren are well aware that Odom staying on the Lakers gives the Spurs no shot at all to win a title, or even get to the finals. If Odom leaves, then the Spurs may have a chance to make it interesting, but will still fail. We own you guys, and some facts in life are much easier to accept once you come to terms with reality.

Lakaluva,

I like your brashness and bold-talk, but laugh at your presumptuous attitude.:lol

To post that the Spurs have no shot at winning a title next season it utterly ridiculous!!!

Remember, it was the Spurs that ended Shaq and Kobe's run of titles!!! And we follow through and won a championship that season.

The fact of matter.....I as a fan is not afraid of my team losing if they are pursuing excellence. But accepting mediocrity and wishing or wanting a strong opponent to lose one of their key cogs...is unacceptable!!

MarHill
07-27-2009, 09:58 PM
Please enough with this win with honor crap. I'm sure Lakerfans were happy when Drob retired after '03 and seeng Jax bolt during the summertime. I definitely believe if teh spurs kept Jax they sweep the Lakers in '04 easily without breaking sweat. Granted Jax is better then Manu,Tim,Tony but that goes to show you how important a role a player besides the main guys can have on a teams title run. If Odom leaves yeah I will be happy to some degree knowing their bench is filled with shit but if he stays it is what it is.

Maybe that's the problem with our society....a lack of honor!!!

It's easy to cut corners or skip steps to get the top!!

There's nothing wrong with earning something the hard way!!

Hmmm......

SouthTexasRancher
07-27-2009, 09:59 PM
Ho hummmmmmmmmmmmmm...:sleep

MarHill
07-27-2009, 10:03 PM
Ho hummmmmmmmmmmmmm...:sleep

Boy Spoiled Spurs fans are getting soft!!!!

Spurs fans used to complain at a Laker fan being soft and indifferent!!!

It's funny with 4 championships later...Spur fans have become like Laker fan!!!

:lol

daslicer
07-27-2009, 10:08 PM
Maybe that's the problem with our society....a lack of honor!!!

It's easy to cut corners or skip steps to get the top!!

There's nothing wrong with earning something the hard way!!

Hmmm......

I see what your saying and I will say this I believe in dealing with cards you are dealt. If you have to get where you want to go by doing it the hard way so be it but if you have an option of taking an easy road to achieve the same goal wouldn't you take the easier road? I will tell you this I'am by no means a bandwagon fan. I will be a spurs fan forever even when they are 10-20 win team after Duncan is retired. Titles are hard to come buy and I will pretty much take whatever the spurs can get regardless of what is going on with their rivals whether it is key injuries, FA, or trades that scream them over who cares thats their problem. A ring is a ring regardless what happens to the opposing team.

braeden0613
07-27-2009, 10:08 PM
I for one am terrified of the Lakers if they get Lamar Odom...it keeps me awake at night. Who even cares...I just want another title.

DPG21920
07-27-2009, 10:09 PM
This is the Laker in her talking.

So you must have some Spur in you.

SouthTexasRancher
07-27-2009, 10:13 PM
Boy Spoiled Spurs fans are getting soft!!!!

Spurs fans used to complain at a Laker fan being soft and indifferent!!!

It's funny with 4 championships later...Spur fans have become like Laker fan!!!

:lol

You really do need to stop talking about yourself. I could care less that you are a closet Faker fan.

SpurCharger
07-27-2009, 10:31 PM
I can care less whether He is there or not...... A win is A Win, and A loss is A Loss....... No matter who it is against

OrEmuN
07-27-2009, 10:33 PM
First off, I think that we will be able to pose a strong challenge, with Odom or not on the Lakers. Lets admit this, if Odom leaves the Lakers, their chances are not looking good. An injury to any starter will be more damaging if Odom is not around.

Taking interest in this situation does not mean it is wimpy. We need to know as if Odom leaves, we will most probably have to look to the Eastern Conf Champs as the biggest competitors as the Lakers will not be such a threat.

Spurs da champs
07-27-2009, 10:34 PM
I agree with what you said 100% Lamar Odom's overrated quit being bitches we can beat the lakers with him or without.

scottspurs
07-27-2009, 10:35 PM
I really don't care where Odom signs. I just wish he would do it already so there would be no more Lamar Odom threads. Some people think all of next season depends on where he goes. I believe in worrying about your own team. Last I checked the Spurs are not intrested nor do they have the money to sign Lamar.

SouthTexasRancher
07-27-2009, 10:38 PM
I really don't care where Odom signs. I just wish he would do it already so there would be no more Lamar Odom threads. Some people think all of next season depends on where he goes. I believe in worrying about your own team. Last I checked the Spurs are not intrested nor do they have the money to sign Lamar.

:tu

Spursmania
07-27-2009, 10:40 PM
I just don't care about Odom.

If the spurs are going to win the Championship they are going to have to play like monsters and beat everyone, period.

Spursfan 87
07-27-2009, 10:50 PM
I really don't give a shit if Odom stays with the lakers or not. If Spurs stay healthy they can beat anyone.

Juanobili
07-27-2009, 10:52 PM
really really stupid topic

spursfaninla
07-27-2009, 11:11 PM
I think Kori's point is a bit extreme: although it is POSSIBLE that the lakers are worse with Odom, it is doubtful that the Lakers are Worse with Odom, and it is likely that they are better with him, all things equal.

I also think it is not realistic to think about "honor" when the Lakers have the Yankee's spendthrift strategy of buying championships, with other advantages we all know about.

FireDavidStern
07-27-2009, 11:17 PM
The goal of an off season for a team is to try to position the team into being able to when a championship. That is all it is. Whatever increases the Spurs chances of winning is what any true Spurs fan should want.

That said I want Odom to leave because i think it would hurt the Lakers to lose their 3rd best player. Would I be upset if he signed with the Lakers? No, in fact I would be shocked if he didn't. In fact the only thing I really care about the Odom situation is that he makes his mind up because I am sick of this story (That goes x10000000000000000 for Favre)

elbamba
07-27-2009, 11:22 PM
I do not really care about whether he stays or goes. For me it is all about the Spurs being healthy, when that is the case, the Spurs can play with and beat anyone. Odom is inconsistent and at times looks like he doesn't care. LA is all about Kobe and Gasol, after that, it doesn't matter, they can win with or without Odom.

Kori Ellis
07-28-2009, 12:28 AM
I think Kori's point is a bit extreme: although it is POSSIBLE that the lakers are worse with Odom, it is doubtful that the Lakers are Worse with Odom, and it is likely that they are better with him, all things equal.

That's my point. We have no idea if all things are equal. It's July 28th. The Lakers could sign Odom and then Kobe could trip over a Colorado hotel doorman tomorrow and break his leg. Would they be better off since they have Odom? No, of course not. Artest could end up averaging 20/8, the Lakers win 72 regular season games and coast to a title, and then everyone will say "Lamar who?"

Sure, it's likely that the Lakers would be a better team with Odom than without. But I just think it's crazy to say "We want the Lakers to sign Odom so that the Lakers will be at full strength in the playoffs." (or we don't want him to sign because blahblah)

The playoffs begin in NINE months, millions of things could happen between now and then that could cause the Lakers/Spurs to not even be frontrunners for a title.

sabar
07-28-2009, 12:32 AM
What do off-season signings have to do with being at full strength? With that logic, we should hope all the contenders sign superstars for the veteran minimum, otherwise they wont be at full strength and it would all be illegitimate.

I guess Kwame Brown for Gasol wasn't enough to be considered a challenge or something.

If spurs fans hope that Kobe breaks his arm then you have a complaint.

Mr. Body
07-28-2009, 12:32 AM
I just want Laker fans to suffer as much as I suffer by sharing a planet with them. I haven't met a knowledgeable, intelligent, interesting Laker fan yet, and I've met fans of many, many teams. I even know and like some Dallas fans, which is saying quite a lot.

Odom on or off the Lakers doesn't matter a whole lot in the long run, just if they don't have him, they may get knocked off even before the Spurs get a chance to knock them out.

buttsR4rebounding
07-28-2009, 12:36 AM
This topic is stupid.

Without a doubt. Spurs fans have not fixated on Odom to any degree. Heck, Lakersground.net there is a 265 page thread regarding Odom. It hardly gets a mention here and maybe adds 8 to 10 new posts a day to the thread. Whether Odom goes or stays is no big deal (as Dr. Buss has evidently decided), if the Lakers don't have a significant injury when we play them they will be at full strength.

Dave McNulla
07-28-2009, 12:39 AM
As A Spurs fan on this forum I like debating Mav fan, Rocket Fan, Blazer fan, and of course Laker fan!!!

However, I have to turn my attenion to Spurs fans!!! Especially the way some of the spoiled Spurs fans have posted that Lamar Odom should go to the Miami Heat.

I (along with a few other Spurs fans) have wanted Odom to remain with the Lakers. They are the NBA Champs (like it or not) and he was a key factor in order for them it to win a championship!!

In order to be the best....you want to beat the best!! Remember the Spurs have arguably (along with the Lakers) been the best team of the decade!!!

Look at how Mavs fans (on this forum) are so celebratory about beating the Spurs in a playoff series...even though they haven't won a championship!!!:wow

Do you want to our Spurs to beat the Lakers at full strength next season? Absolutely!!! You never run away from a challenge by wishing your opponent be a little weaker?????

So what that Lakaluva, DrHouse, 21_Blessings, and the other obnoxious Lakers fans take their shot at the Spurs especially these last 2 seasons. It has taken the Lakers seven years to win a championship and the Spurs have re-tooled this offseason....to go for it again!!!

For example, I've always enjoyed the 2005 championship the best. The Pistons were legitimately the best in the east that year and the Finals went to 7 games. It may not be have been the greatest series in the league.....but the best two teams went at it and either team could have won that series.

But the Spurs won it and it makes the championship all the more sweeter!!!:flag:

So I as a Spurs fan want Odom to stay a Laker and when the Spurs beat this season in WCF........so much better!!! And shutting Lakers fans up will be beautiful!!! :lmao:lmao:lmao

I disappointed that a Spurs fan would have a post with praying hands that Odom would to go Miami!!! Please! I do pray...but not for that!!

Stop being wimpy and weak-minded!!!! And root for the Spurs to knock them off at full strength!!!

that doesn't make sense. whatever the lakers are, they are. if they add artest and lose odom, is it a loss to them? not really. they are at full strength if everybody on their team is healthy, it's got nothing to do with who odom plays for.

the only team that i really want at full strength is the spurs. it's probably been 2004 last time that happened. if that happens, i like the spurs chances.

angelbelow
07-28-2009, 12:47 AM
That is pretty laughable. If the Lakers organization is unable to retain one of their key players, in turn making them weaker, why would any fan other than the Laker fans be against it?

Would it be our fault as Spur fans that Odom wants too much money? Or that Buss doesn't want to over pay every player they have bird rights for? If the Lakers, for whatever reason, is unable themselves to retain Odom, then IMO, too bad.

You are right about one thing though, to be the best you have to beat the best... but if the best doesn't remain the best then boo whoo.

anonoftheinternets
07-28-2009, 12:57 AM
:-? who says lakers will be the best ... there are a bunch of good teams to go through ... an easier round means better chance in finals ... stupid thread ... Marhill, you should concentrate on the nba championship and not focus on every small step on the road to finals (in this case lakers)

its like spurs in 2008, we were defending champs but boston was fav to win it all ... sometimes the defending champion thing is over blown ... so dont obsess over the lakers....

Also again like 2008, having to go through a bunch of tough teams means increasing ur injury chances, lakers had the easier road to the finals, and were rested up while spurs had to catch that flight directly after a physical suns series and a rough hornets series after duelling a motivated chris paul and west (both of who can light up the best of teams on their day).

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-28-2009, 01:55 AM
I'm afraid I don't get your point.

Should all Spurs rivals do Gasol-like deals in order for you to call it a fair fight? Did the Lakers or their fans not celebrate and brag about them beating us 4-1 with a crippled Manu? Did Dallas? Do you think Laker fans believe it's unfair because we couldn't sign Scola or keep Jax? How fair is it when for years our salary budget has been about $30-40 mil less than our direct rivals'?

Each team changes and tries to get better but they're not in a vacuum, at the end of the day you have to compare with your rivals and I won't cry a tear if Lakers lose Odom and if Artest goes mad and fucks up their season, it won't make me celebrate less if we win it all.

mudyez
07-28-2009, 04:48 AM
In order to be the best....you want to beat the best!!

Yeah, but that means beating the best team for that season!

I dont want anyone to get injured or something like that!

They can sign him and maybe are to cheap (not saying they are cheap in general) to do it! They are not treating him like he wants to and maybe they will pay for it.
If they cant hold their championship team together, its their problem

Heck, we would still have Captain Jack if things like money wouldn't mean anything! I'm not bitter losing him, but we have to see that teams are changing. If its in our favour, I like it, if it is not, we cant do anything about it.

btw.: I'm still pretty sure Odom will stay with the Lakers, as I doubt, the whole Miami thing is just to push LA into giving him more.

rascal
07-28-2009, 06:10 AM

Jefferson was a steal of a trade. Stop the integrity BS. If the spurs could make a heist in a trade they will.

MarHill
07-28-2009, 07:26 AM
That's my point. We have no idea if all things are equal. It's July 28th. The Lakers could sign Odom and then Kobe could trip over a Colorado hotel doorman tomorrow and break his leg. Would they be better off since they have Odom? No, of course not. Artest could end up averaging 20/8, the Lakers win 72 regular season games and coast to a title, and then everyone will say "Lamar who?"

Sure, it's likely that the Lakers would be a better team with Odom than without. But I just think it's crazy to say "We want the Lakers to sign Odom so that the Lakers will be at full strength in the playoffs." (or we don't want him to sign because blahblah)

The playoffs begin in NINE months, millions of things could happen between now and then that could cause the Lakers/Spurs to not even be frontrunners for a title.

Kori,

Of course anything can happen between now and next season's playoffs for their not to be a Spurs/Lakers WCF match.

I know that.....especially with the last two post seasons for the Spurs having come up short.

However, I always prefer clarity than agreement in a discussion.

And I was looking at the Lakers with everybody coming back. That is what I mean by full strength! The Lakers are the champs and I want the Spurs (at full strength themselves) to knock them off with everybody on their team intact.

I know Ariza is gone (his agent screwed that up) and they traded for Artest. Also, there are injuries that could happen and the situation that the Lakers could have some hangover from winning it all last season as well. Plus, the team from the Eastern Conference will have a lot to say about it too.

I get those things and it could derailed their chances of repeating.

This forum is about spectulation and discussion and you can make the case the Spurs and Lakers have been the best two teams in the entire league for the past decade. I know both sides have argued about the "best team of the decade" title and have legit points on either side.

And they are our rival......you want to measure up against the best. Seems our culture (yes I'm going on a rant) doesn't want to measure up to excellence anymore.

I read that I don't care if Kobe got hit by a truck or the Lakers were happy that DRob retired in '03 or seeing praying hands in post about Odom hopefully going to Miami and so on.

And to me.....that's just sorry and weak-minded. Either Spurs are good enough or not good enough!! It happens and no team is guaranteed a championship (even though some spoiled Spurs fans believe it so).

I compare this to the Cowboys and 49ers of the '90s. Both teams dominated the NFC and were considered the best two teams in the NFL. They wanted to play each other and beat each other. And the fans of both sides were always looking forward to that match-up.

I was watching on TV the America's Game about the 1994 49ers and Steve Young admitted being Dallas at that time was a big deal. Once they beat them...they felt they were going to win the Super Bowl that year.

Excellence measuring up against excellence!!!

That's my point!!

Lastly, I thought Odom was the key to them winning it all and when he played well the Lakers were difficult to beat. So I wouldn't easily dismissed him by saying the Lakers might be better without him. Not so fast!!

Well, I'm happy this thread got three pages and spark a discussion. Even for those who posted this thread was stupid....I see that you missed the point entirely and strengthen my argument!!

ElNono
07-28-2009, 07:43 AM

What? You mean we're not guaranteed to win it all???????
Fire Pop!!!! Fire Holt!!!!

spursfan1000
07-28-2009, 09:27 AM
I would rather have a for sure championship, Lakers without Odom are capeable of beating the SPurs.

Muser
07-28-2009, 09:40 AM
So wanting the top team in the NBA to lose a key piece is wrong?

mudyez
07-28-2009, 09:42 AM
whats up with all the Laker talk?

...we all just want to face a full strength Miami Heat team in the finals...I don't want them to have any excuses!

antgomez2009
07-28-2009, 10:01 AM
I admire your guts, but laugh at your stupidity. Your Spur brethren are well aware that Odom staying on the Lakers gives the Spurs no shot at all to win a title, or even get to the finals. If Odom leaves, then the Spurs may have a chance to make it interesting, but will still fail. We own you guys, and some facts in life are much easier to accept once you come to terms with reality.

This Guy obivously does not know basketball!

I admire your dedication to your team...but laugh at your ignorance! :lmao

The Lakers need Odom back to actually be a threat to the league like they where last year!.....(Lakers - Odom ) = A very very rough year! Adam Morrison just might be your Savior!!! for a back to back!!:nope

I think the laker fans also forget how much of an impact Trevor Ariza was when Odom was to busy get high blood pressure from those dam candies he was eating at half time!

Artest nor Odom can do the same thing Trevor Ariza did, Long quick defender that can hit threes and slash to the hoop and fill in the passing lanes for steals or reflections! Artest and Odom are virtually the same type of player! Bigs that can hit a jumper or two and grab rebounds! but slow against quicker players!

However, i do feel if Odom goes back to being a Laker, then they are clearly the team to beat! But Other teams are healthy and have got way better this offseason thats its not safe to say any team will win the Championship this early!

Laker Fans are Ignorant! The City and Fans reflect what type of team you have!!!....Very true!:hat

easjer
07-28-2009, 10:19 AM
How ridiculous.

Seriously, I want anything that will make it easier for the Spurs to win. Period. That's not lack of honor, that's realism. The harder it is, the more likely things can go wrong/badly and people can get injured.

By your argument, OP, you might as well say that it would be better for Manu not to be healthy, because then it would be harder and more honorable if the Spurs win. Of course, you won't go that far, because it's stupid.

Wishing the Lakers not to resign a strong rotation player is not only a possible boon to the Spurs (but may not work out in our favor at all) or simply rooting against the Lakers. I love it when teams I despise make moves that seem dumb to me.

Weak-minded. Whatever. I want the championship, and I want the path to be as easy as possible. The 'easy' path is still going to be exceptionally hard, as the top teams are all very, very good. I'm not going to cry if someone else takes out a team that is a worse match-up for us in the playoffs. I'm not interested in the hardest fought battle, I'm interested in the final win.

duhoh
07-28-2009, 10:28 AM

which is why a team with a missing yao and t-mac took yall to game 7?

you guys are very beatable. unless LA gets better at the PG position, that chink in the armor (albeit a very tough armor) is there. our guys has one of the premier PGs in the league. if aaron brooks can torch you guys, then so can tony parker.

duhoh
07-28-2009, 10:31 AM
uh, no.

artest IS an upgrade over trevor ariza. i don't care what people say. you can't compare a role player with a break out season to an all star defender

mytespurs
07-28-2009, 10:37 AM

Bravo Kori!!! :toast

With all the back and forth smacktalk ad nauseum b/t Laker and Spurs fans, it would be interesting if come 2010, neither team is playing in the WCF.

Fingaroll44
07-28-2009, 11:59 AM
i understand what you are saying, it would make the smacktalk all the more sweeter for me. But....non Spur fans dont care if our guys are hurt or whatever so if the Lakers lost Odom...oh well. They gained Artest but in my mind there's always a chance of that situation backfiring.

lennyalderette
07-28-2009, 12:16 PM
you own us lol you guys are so pathetic to come into a spurs chat and try to argue how the lakers own the spurs, in reality if you were in fact not scared of us, then you wouldnt be checking our every move, am i right why dont you respond to that scum bag? i have alot of family from L.a and since some are originally from texas they tell me how you guys are actually concerned about the spurs. because denver, houston, and orlando might be scared of kobe, and gasol, timmy d ginobili, and parker are not worried about kobe or phil or artest or gasol, they will shove it down your throat regardless of where their playing remember L.a fans were undefeated in the finals!!

lennyalderette
07-28-2009, 12:23 PM
if the spurs won a game against L.a last year while L.a was hot and we had that crappy season, well we def wont be afraid of L.a now. i could care less if they have odom are not we all know timmy doesnt care nor does ginobili, pop. but i bet if phil jackson dies this year theyll be an * on our 5th championship lol he looks like hes got one foot in already sorry laker fans

Whisky Dog
07-28-2009, 12:51 PM
The Spurs beat Denv, Phnx, Utah, and Clev to win in 07. Only phx was legit. I wasn't complaining

SpurOutofTownFan
07-28-2009, 04:16 PM
stfu

Me likes this.

ffadicted
07-28-2009, 04:28 PM
This isn't backyard pickup ball you moron, there's millions of dollars at stake, of course we want to have the upper hand

WildcardManu
07-28-2009, 05:43 PM
Who gives a shit, the road to the Finals still leads through L.A. odom or not.

z0sa
07-28-2009, 05:49 PM
ftl

DrHouse
07-28-2009, 06:04 PM
if the spurs won a game against L.a last year while L.a was hot and we had that crappy season, well we def wont be afraid of L.a now. i could care less if they have odom are not we all know timmy doesnt care nor does ginobili, pop. but i bet if phil jackson dies this year theyll be an * on our 5th championship lol he looks like hes got one foot in already sorry laker fans

That's some bullet proof logic there Sherlock.

King
07-28-2009, 06:32 PM
I'm amused by people who are challenging others to 'step up' and be brave about rooting for a team. Show your bravery by watching TV and having absolutely no impact on anything.

afireinside20
07-28-2009, 06:49 PM

True, but what are all Spurs fans gonna hear from Laker fans if we beat them without Odom? "Oh well we didn't have Odom, it wasn't the same team. Or yea, why couldn't you do that last year. And if we lose to them with Odom, their gonna say, gee the Spurs retooled and they still couldn't beat basically almost the same Laker team as last year. Either way were gonna hear some bullshit story or excuse from pussy Laker fans, like House,Blessings and Lakaluva.

Dunc n Dave
07-28-2009, 09:27 PM
Kori,...

I read that I don't care if Kobe got hit by a truck or the Lakers were happy that DRob retired in '03 or seeing praying hands in post about Odom hopefully going to Miami and so on.
And to me.....that's just sorry and weak-minded...

You keep bringing up the post with praying hands like it really got under your skin.

I posted the picture of praying hands in the NBA Forum "Wade, Riley in LA for Odom" thread. If that's the post you are referring to, you might want to go re-read it, because you totally misinterpreted it...

Under the picture, it says:
"Laker fans for the next 48 hours are doing this more than they ever have in their entire LIVES..."

So yeah, if that's the post you are referring to, go find something else to bitch about, cuz I didn't say I (or Spurs fans) was/were praying Odom to leave, but Laker fans are praying for him to stay.... :rolleyes

BIG Deal!

I'll make it easy for you.. Here's the link...
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3592325#post3592325

ohmwrecker
07-28-2009, 09:36 PM
What f'ing difference does it make what a bunch of jackasses on the internet say? It's Odom's decision to make. If he leaves, do you think the Lakers will quit? The Lakers will be at full power, Odom or no. Bet on it.

phyzik
07-29-2009, 01:02 AM

You have no fucking clue...

wait until the playoffs then come visit this board. THATS when this thread should be posted.

BTW, I dont give a FUCK about weather Bynum re-signs or not. If he doesnt, all the fucking better for my teams chances to succeed. Not my fucking fault if Lakers dont want to spend the money to repeat (not that Odom would make that much of a difference one way or the other).

Sisk
07-29-2009, 01:06 AM
this is a pointless thread

"we could flank the enemy.. but lets take them straight on! if we're good enough we'll win anyways!"

Man In Black
07-29-2009, 01:47 AM
Who gives a fuck?!?!? I know whether he stays or goes, it's not the same team that won it all last year. They've already lost a key component in what is termed as a Artest>Ariza signing. That remains to be seen.
Bynum is capable of playing a couple of weeks like a monster, only to INEVITABLY, fall down and clutch appropriate leg and say,"OW!" a lot.

Spurs fan doesn't control the Laker FO. Hell Laker fan doesn't control the Laker FO. If he signs, so what. If he goes to Miami...so what?
The only thing I want is a healthy Spurs team going into the playoffs. This current Spurs lineup has many of the pieces that the Spurs had going in 03 when the Lakers were thought of as Invulnerable. I then remember 110-82 and whole bunch of crying.
d-fj0OFhB9g

Control only what you can control. Wishing for Spurs fan to want his team to have the toughest road IS NOT what you can control. RECOGNIZE.

iggypop123
07-29-2009, 02:51 AM
meh. the best game lately from these 2 teams was the shootout with teh ariza incident where even d-wade wouldnt have gotten a call. that game the spurs were as close to 100% as they could get and the lakers werent. exciting game and it was close game on the road on the second night of a back to back . im hoping 2 teams are 100% doesnt equal snorefest defense battle

Dr Cox
07-29-2009, 03:28 PM
ok "wether hes on the team or not" im not like that, it is very good for the spurs if he is not, it can be done ethir way but i would take ariza and odom any day over artest, so what is the word

i have hurd close to signing with heat, and its all for the lakers?

where is he going!!!!! this could help us soo much in the west!!! i dont care what anyone says

crc21209
07-29-2009, 04:13 PM

Let's see....Dave was hurt, Sean was hurt, the team was in total shambles. Yup, we tanked alright...:rolleyes. Jackass. We dont have players bitching and crying and forcing a trade somewhere when he was drafted by another team ala Kobe going from Charlotte to L.A. because he didnt wanna be in Charlotte. We also dont get players for free from Stern and company..(Gasol)

lefty
07-29-2009, 04:19 PM
Odom IS the Laker bench

No Lamar, no title

DrHouse
07-29-2009, 05:38 PM
Odom IS the Laker bench

No Lamar, no title

I thought Kobe couldn't win a ring without Shaq?

lefty
07-29-2009, 06:07 PM
And when did I say that

anonoftheinternets
07-29-2009, 06:42 PM

yuppp kobe finally added his 4th and killed rumours about his inability to win without shaq. That would be a decent end to career. He has finally caught up to Shaq and Duncan after 2 years.

If hes lucky S + D wont win any more.

fotan2
07-29-2009, 07:45 PM
whats up with all the Laker talk?

...we all just want to face a full strength Miami Heat team in the finals...I don't want them to have any excuses!

i like this.

Biggems
07-29-2009, 07:52 PM

That's silly!

The Lakers are the champs and if the Spurs beat them next season....we should want it at full strength.

You do realize that if Odom leaves, the Lakers would still be at full strength.

On the other hand, if the Lakers keep Odom, but he gets injured, then they are not at full strength.

By your definition, we won't be at full strength either, since Bowen is now in Milwaukee.

EricB
07-29-2009, 09:05 PM
You do realize that if Odom leaves, the Lakers would still be at full strength.

On the other hand, if the Lakers keep Odom, but he gets injured, then they are not at full strength.

By your definition, we won't be at full strength either, since Bowen is now in Milwaukee.

?

How does that work....

exstatic
07-29-2009, 09:19 PM

Part of the Lakers culture is ego, oneupsmanship, and status. If the various parties can't put that aside and get it done, then that's part of the deal. Buss is already taking this extremely personally, which is negotiation poison. Don't blame us for enjoying the train wreck.

timtonymanurich
07-30-2009, 10:43 AM
The ENTIRE NBA shared in a HUGE sigh of relief when they found out that Manu was done for the year last season. They were equally glad when Timmy was @ 70% with his knees.
This year, with a re-vamped MUCH younger roster, and a healthy Manu and Timmy and TParks, LA has NO chance, No one else in the east can match up besides MAYBE Boston. But what do they have to show, a crippling Rasheed Wallace? He's 4 years older than Timmy.

PM5K
07-30-2009, 10:46 AM
There's more to winning than just playing the games, your team has to make the right personnel moves, draft moves, etc.

It's one thing to hope someone gets injured, and another thing to take pleasure in watching a team make poor personnel moves.

Cry Havoc
07-30-2009, 11:58 AM
There is absolutely no shame in wishing for a more beatable opponent.

Even with Odom, let's look at things:

Parker >>>>>> Fisher
Mason <<<<<< Kobe
Jefferson > Artest
Duncan > Gasol (that's being generous)
McDyess > Bynum

Manu >> Odom

So even with Odom, I like the matchups. Without him, I don't see the Lakers beating us at all.

Muser
07-30-2009, 12:01 PM
There is absolutely no shame in wishing for a more beatable opponent.

Even with Odom, let's look at things:

Parker >>>>>> Fisher
Mason <<<<<< Kobe
Jefferson > Artest
Duncan > Gasol (that's being generous)
McDyess > Bynum

Manu >> Odom

So even with Odom, I like the matchups. Without him, I don't see the Lakers beating us at all.

Games not won on paper.

Dr Cox
07-30-2009, 01:50 PM
Games not won on paper.

i agree, what makes odom so hard is how tall and phisical he is around the basket,

manu (in a gaurd position on the wing)>>>>>>>> odom
manu<<<<<<<<<<<odom (down low with a smaller defender on him)

although we match up better now, i think our best chance of beating the lakers is odom leaving, he is that piece that breaks games open hes unstoppable down low when gaurded by a SF....

if artest plays well (doesnt shoot 20 times a game)and they get odom back, i would be very scared to play them in the playoffs

lefty
07-30-2009, 01:58 PM
Games not won on paper.
David Stern disagrees with you

cornbread
07-30-2009, 02:05 PM
Especially the way some of the spoiled Spurs fans have posted that Lamar Odom should go to the Miami Heat.

You are the epitome of the spoiled Spurs fan.

superbigtime
07-30-2009, 02:17 PM
i hope odom goes to miami.

Dr Cox
07-30-2009, 03:08 PM
GO TO MIAMI!!!! YOU WILL GET MORE SHOTS AND Play in the for the most part weaker east

carrao45
07-30-2009, 03:20 PM
Yes it does, and that integrity got you a first round exit. so stop saying integrity like its a good thing

WayOutWest
07-30-2009, 04:10 PM
The point is moot, Odom signed with the Lakers:

Updated: July 30, 2009, 4:59 PM ET
Source: Odom, Lakers agree on deal

By J.A. Adande and Marc Stein
ESPN.com

Lamar Odom will return to the Los Angeles Lakers, according to an NBA source.

Odom will sign a four-year contract, with the fourth year at the Lakers' option.

One source with knowledge of the talks told ESPN.com the four-year deal is worth $33 million if the Lakers exercise the final year of the contract.

Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak declined comment. Odom's agent, Jeff Schwartz, did not return a message immediately.

J.A. Adande and Marc Stein are NBA reporters for ESPN.com.

lefty
07-30-2009, 04:17 PM
Good news

I prefer to destroy the Lakers with Odom on the team; at least Laker trolls won't have any excuse

ohmwrecker
07-30-2009, 04:31 PM
Yea! So can we STFU about this now?

Thompson
07-30-2009, 05:46 PM
although we match up better now, i think our best chance of beating the lakers is odom leaving, he is that piece that breaks games open hes unstoppable down low when gaurded by a SF....

I can't wait to see how Haislip can guard him (similar size players).

daslicer
07-30-2009, 08:07 PM
I can't wait to see how Haislip can guard him (similar size players).

We have to hope some how Haislip can become a solid role player to even say this at that point.

kromediablo
07-31-2009, 01:20 AM
agreed....dont really care who we beat so long as at the end of the year the spurs hoist it up! so odom be on your way to miami...is miami a moot point this minute?

MarHill
07-31-2009, 07:37 AM
First of all, I'm the original creator of this thread and I'm pleased it got 5 pages and generate discussion even if I had to needle some Spurs fans.

However, I still believe many of you miss the context of my point of the thread. I know it is a moot point know that Odom has resigned with the Lakers.

Moreover, I prefer clarity over agreement any day of the week.

I gave two examples for my argument:

1) The 2005 Spurs team that won the championship...I believe was the most satisfying of the four championships because they beat a Detroit team that was the defending champions and was considered by most the best team in the league that year. I know by some in the media the Spurs were the favorite in that series.

Still the Spurs beat the best and the Detroit team had all their main components who had won a championship the year before.

That series went seven games and either team could have won game 7 and hoisted the trophy. As a competitor, I believe they truly relish beating an excellent team like that.

2) The Cowboys and 49ers dominated the NFC in the 90's and the two teams measured up to each other during that time period. Steve Young and other 49ers admitted beating the Cowboys in the '94 NFC Championship Game was huge. Because the Cowboys were the best and they had beaten them to get to their goal. (Sorry, San Diego Chargers fan....that game was the real Super Bowl that year)

I used that analogy to show the Spurs and Lakers are the best 2 teams of the 2000's decade (The Pistons get an honorable mention) and both teams have stopped each other and gone on to win the title.

The best beating the best. I didn't read anyone's post countering those examples.

When I wrote I wanted Odom to come back to LA is for the same reason. If the Spurs are good enough to beat the Lakers this upcoming season and win the west...I as a fan want the Lakers to have all their main guys from their championship last season. (I know Ariza is gone. But that was his agent's fault and the Lakers may have upgraded with Artest.)

And I believe when Odom plays well....the Lakers are tough to beat.

Now...some of the arguments I've read are just silly.

First of all, for those who called me a moron or idiot for creating this thread....well it's five pages later and obviously it has generate discussion. That was my point. But.....please save the name calling. You don't know me and I don't know you on a personal level. Be an adult.....and tell me why you agree or disagree with the thread.

I like debate and discussion and I believe this forum is the place to do that!

Next, someone posted that this thread is stupid....like for example I wanted Manu hurt so we could win the championship w/o him. That had nothing to do with the argument.

I was just challenging some fellow Spurs fans about them going over the top to want Odom to go Miami. It was not wanting Odom (or even Kobe or Gasol) hurt . That's weak!!!

Lastly, someone posted I was the epitome of the spoiled Spurs fan. Well...let's see! I have posted on this forum for about two years and I have seen everything. From every time the Spurs lost a game during the regular season....many have posted the season was over. There were some that posted at the beginning of last season that the Spurs should tank the season.

And I could go on....

But, I understand that winning championships is not a birthright and it is extremely hard to do. Even though some Spoiled Spurs fans believe it to be.

Winning and losing comes with the territory in sports and as a fan my life isn't over if the Spurs don't win the championship every year.

However, I don't want my team to be mediocre just for the sake of being mediocre. Spurs under Pop and R.C. have pursued excellence and have been rewarded with 4 championships (the fourth most in NBA History---some tend to forget that stat) and I appreciate that as a fan.

They have remain competitive and still want to be best and there is nothing with that.

But, thanks for contributing to this thread and I've actually learn more about people who disagree with me...than those who would agree with me.:toast

der Kaiser
07-31-2009, 07:51 AM

Bullshit. Drob was worthless at the end and he was especially worthless against the Lakers. Shaq treated that dude like a rag doll.:wakeup