PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Ratliff Hopes Quest For Ring Ends With Spurs

duncan228
07-27-2009, 11:20 PM
Ratliff hopes quest for ring ends with Spurs (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Ratliff_hopes_quest_for_ring_ends_with_Spurs.html)
Jeff McDonald

The newest Spur was in San Antonio on Monday, steeled to endure the typical battery of physical tests that comes with arriving in a new NBA town.

By now, Theo Ratliff is used to the drill. At various other points in his 14-season pro career, he has also done the turn-your-head-and-cough routine in Detroit, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Portland, Boston and Minnesota.

The welcome-to-the-team physical has been roughly the same in each locale, as thorough as it is monotonous.

“Lots of checks and balances,” Ratliff said with a chuckle after his latest exam ended late Monday afternoon.

Well-traveled and well-heeled, Ratliff arrives in San Antonio in search of the one significant bauble that has eluded him.

A championship.

Ratliff, the 6-foot-10 center who signed a one-year, veteran-minimum deal with the Spurs last week, did so because he believes the team gives him the best chance of putting an exclamation point on his long and winding career.

“Just to be in a position going into the season where you know you have a chance to be playing in that final game, that's something I haven't had in a long time,” said Ratliff, 36. “That's more important than anything.”

The Spurs could truthfully sell Ratliff on a title shot after an offseason in which they traded for scoring swingman Richard Jefferson, signed veteran forward Antonio McDyess and drafted All-American big man DeJuan Blair out of Pittsburgh.

Tabbed as a backup to Tim Duncan and McDyess in the Spurs' frontcourt, Ratliff — who spent last season on a second tour of duty in Philadelphia — is the final piece of that summer remodeling job. Now, he hopes to be more than just window dressing.

Ratliff has always been regarded as one of the NBA's best shot-blockers. In three consecutive seasons from 2000-04, he led the league in blocks per game.

Though well past the prime of his career, Ratliff still believes he can contribute around the rim. He averaged a block per game while backing up Samuel Dalembert in Philadelphia last season, despite logging fewer than 13 minutes an outing.

For the Spurs, the NBA's fourth-worst shot-blocking team last season, Ratliff represents a low-cost gamble. Just as the Spurs are hopeful Blair might single-handedly help them improve one statistical shortcoming (rebounding), they believe Ratliff might help them upgrade their shot-blocking.

“I think I'll be able to make the team a little better,” said Ratliff, who is on his fifth team since leaving Portland after the 2005-06 season. “What I can produce, in terms of knowing the game, playing defense — that's something a lot of teams aspire to have.”

Ratliff, meanwhile, aspires to have an elusive title.

He has been playing professional basketball since 1995 and has called nearly every NBA time zone home.

The closest Ratliff came to a championship was in 2007-08, his second stint in Detroit. That Pistons team — which also included another future Spurs big man, McDyess — lost to Boston in the Eastern Conference finals.

Adding insult to defeat, Ratliff had played for the previously moribund Celtics the season before.

When Boston went on to beat the Los Angeles Lakers for the NBA championship, there were those who joked that perhaps Ratliff deserved a ring as well. After all, his $11.6 million expiring contract was a key component in the preseason trade that brought Kevin Garnett from Minnesota to Boston.

Ratliff doesn't know if this season will represent his last chance at an NBA title. The ultimate call on his retirement, he says, will come from his wife, Kristina, and his six children.

He does, however, realize time is running out.

“Having had that taste, getting so close to a championship, it definitely puts a bad taste in your mouth,” Ratliff said. “It makes you want to get back in a situation like that.”

His latest physical passed, his Spurs contract made official, Ratliff believes that he has.

Notebook: The Spurs on Monday finalized a preseason game against Euroleague power Olympiacos Pireaus. The Greek team, highlighted by former Atlanta Hawks forward Josh Childress, will visit the AT&T Center on Oct. 9 as part of the Euroleague American Tour 2009.

SouthTexasRancher
07-27-2009, 11:25 PM
Let's get that ring, Theo. Timmy & Co. have done it for others, no reason this coming season will be different. Especially with the attitude all you new Spurs are showing. I see some damn fine team chemistry come playoff time.

Nice article. Thx...

Pistons < Spurs
07-27-2009, 11:25 PM
Always liked the Rattler. Would love to see him get a ring along w/ Dice.

To make my wish complete, get Jerome 'JYD' Williams to come out of retirement, and get him a Ring too!

completely deck
07-27-2009, 11:33 PM
:tu

Dex
07-27-2009, 11:37 PM
:lmao :lmao :lmao

We're playing preseason against a Greek team? Oh, this should be forum gold.

duncan228
07-27-2009, 11:38 PM

October 9, Olympiacos Piraeus at Spurs.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132180

Guajalote
07-27-2009, 11:52 PM
Tabbed as a backup to Tim Duncan and McDyess in the Spurs' frontcourt, Ratliff — who spent last season on a second tour of duty in Philadelphia — is the final piece of that summer remodeling job.

Hmm. Does McDonald know something that we don't?

loveforthegame
07-27-2009, 11:54 PM

It's the 2nd time he's mentioned that Ratliff is the final piece of our rebuilding summer.

I doubt he knows anything and is only guessing that the Spurs are done for now.

timaios
07-27-2009, 11:55 PM
Good for the first time in a while we have several players out to prove something. Theo and McDyess are two vets starving for a winner; Haislip, Hairston, Hill and Williams all want to show that they are NBA players and Jefferson is happy to be back in the top of the NBA teams lst.

Almost forgot about Ian. We need him to shock the world a bit too.

And DeJuan Blair ?????

Blackjack
07-27-2009, 11:57 PM

Lies...

LIES!!!

Mr. Body
07-27-2009, 11:59 PM
The Greeks will teach Pop and Duncan a thing or two about basketball.

Good luck for Ratliff. Hope we can Jerome Kersey him.

wildbill2u
07-28-2009, 12:01 AM
Let's get that ring, Theo. Timmy & Co. have done it for others, no reason this coming season will be different. Especially with the attitude all you new Spurs are showing. I see some damn fine team chemistry come playoff time.

Nice article. Thx...

Why are we taking on another guy at the absolute end of his career? He won't get anythin but garbage minutes because as much as Pop talks about vets, he rarely plays them (remember Willis) and if we lose the two centers ahead of him we'd still be as well off playing someone younger. (Ian)

mabrignani
07-28-2009, 12:02 AM
Always liked the Rattler. Would love to see him get a ring along w/ Dice.

To make my wish complete, get Jerome 'JYD' Williams to come out of retirement, and get him a Ring too!

HAHAHAHA i fucking love the junk yard dog. hes my main man, got his rookie card and everything. i would take him on the spurs over sjax right now

Mr. Body
07-28-2009, 12:10 AM
Veterans lusting after rings and rookies with chips on their shoulders are good things to have.

senorglory
07-28-2009, 12:56 AM
Why are we taking on another guy at the absolute end of his career? He won't get anythin but garbage minutes because as much as Pop talks about vets, he rarely plays them (remember Willis) and if we lose the two centers ahead of him we'd still be as well off playing someone younger. (Ian)

Since Ratliff is signed to only a one year deal, at the end of the year, is there trade value as an expiring contract?

timtonymanurich
07-28-2009, 01:15 AM
Veterans lusting after rings and rookies with chips on their shoulders are good things to have.

CAN'T WAIT!!!!! QUITE LITERALLY CAN'T WAIT!!!!!
(my wife can however....) I've never been more stoked about a Spurs season than this one up coming.:ihit

pawe
07-28-2009, 01:15 AM
They got Finley one, they can certainly get one more for the others. Git r done Spurs!

DPG21920
07-28-2009, 01:19 AM
Always good to have hungry vets on the team!

Duncanonu
07-28-2009, 01:21 AM
Since Ratliff is signed to only a one year deal, at the end of the year, is there trade value as an expiring contract?

He is signed to the veteran minimum. It's tradeable as an expiring until the deadline, but he took the minimum, so what else do you want to match a salary that low? We got a bargain price on a defensive big, yes at the end of his career. Where is there any gamble though? If he sucks, don't play him, or cut him and bring in another minimum player. Personally, I don't think there is anyone that we could get so cheaply that could possibly help us as much. It's the final piece of the versatile combination of bigs we now have on our roster. We got the smaller guys that rebound well in Blair and McDyess, now Ratliff is the guy capable of swatting shots and clogging up the paint. We have to remember that Ian and Haislip must prove themselves NBA worthy in order to see late season action this year. If it happens, great, we have extra injury protection. If we can't count on them during the playoffs, we at least know that Ratliff can make scoring at the rim a little tougher. I think it's a smart move and not a gamble at all, simply because I don't see us risking anything.

angelbelow
07-28-2009, 01:21 AM
I hope Theo is a contributor next year, whether hes tutoring Ian and Blair or blocking shots during garbage time, I hope he makes his last season count.

anonoftheinternets
07-28-2009, 01:30 AM
i do see that theo had decent blocked shots stats ...does anyone know if he defended any capable, all star bigs well last year? i know i saw him have a couple of good games for philly, but was his one on one defense any good at his age?

Dingle Barry
07-28-2009, 02:45 AM
Bauble?

exstatic
07-28-2009, 08:01 AM

Though well past the prime of his career, Ratliff still believes he can contribute around the rim. He averaged a block per game while backing up Samuel Dalembert in Philadelphia last season, despite logging fewer than 13 minutes an outing.

The Spurs seriously lack rim protection when Tim isn't in the game. That's why.

buttsR4rebounding
07-28-2009, 08:33 AM

Olympiacos Pireaus is not the best. They are the 2nd best team in the 3rd best league with the 4th best coach playing the easiest schedule of the upper division over 35 league. Therefore, they will be playing for the bronze, not the gold. You are a liar. Everyone on this forum has no clue how to eat stuffed grape leaves. Liars!!!!

KBP

benefactor
07-28-2009, 08:41 AM
:tu

We are glad to have you Theo. Hopefully we can get you and Dice your rings.

Fingaroll44
07-28-2009, 08:59 AM
Dammit we have too many new players.

Thats really the only thing that worries me a little...how is Pop going to manage the situation and how long is it going to take to find the best rotation chemistry wise. Which players play best together and things like that. You know that newcomers are notorious for "thinking too much" :nerd their first year here.

bishopospurs
07-28-2009, 10:33 AM
Tabbed as a backup to Tim Duncan and McDyess in the Spurs' frontcourt, Ratliff — who spent last season on a second tour of duty in Philadelphia — is the final piece of that summer remodeling job. Now, he hopes to be more than just window dressing.

“I think I'll be able to make the team a little better,” said Ratliff, who is on his fifth team since leaving Portland after the 2005-06 season. “What I can produce, in terms of knowing the game, playing defense — that's something a lot of teams aspire to have.”

I am hoping Ian and Blair are the real backups minutes wise and the word "little" is true and telling.

Dex
07-28-2009, 10:38 AM
Spurs all of a sudden with an intimidating defensive front court.

I know I sure as hell wouldn't be looking forward to driving into the likes of Duncan/Ratliff/McDyess/Blair.

afireinside20
07-28-2009, 06:37 PM
He's still a very good defensive player if he's playing about 10 MPG..he doesn't have much offense though, and he's injury prone..we'll see if Ian can beat him out..

Yea he's a pretty good defender, and should be able to do a pretty good job on the Lakers bigs. Sucks that he is injury prone, but thankfully he won't play a whole lotta minutes and have him out there like every game so it should be ok hopefully. I also wouldn't quite underestimate his offense, sure hes not a back to the basket guy or hes not gonna dazlle us with low post moves, but he'll be good around the rim with some decent put backs and dunks.

Nathan Explosion
07-28-2009, 06:41 PM
You know, the Bill Simmons made one interesting claim when talking about this deal, he mentioned that the Spurs wisely signed Ratliff to a 1 year deal, instantly making him, "Theo Ratliff's expiring contract".

And we all know how valuable those are this year with the economy of the NBA.

cherylsteele
07-29-2009, 01:11 AM
Could Theo be this Spurs' team Kevin Willis type player?

will_spurs
07-29-2009, 09:05 AM

I think he says "final" but means "latest".

Spurm
07-29-2009, 11:48 PM
No Ring for you BITCHES!!

loveforthegame
07-29-2009, 11:59 PM
Dammit we have too many new players.

And yet many want some sort of 3 or 4 for 1 trade that will bring in even more new players.

EricB
07-30-2009, 12:06 AM
You know, the Bill Simmons made one interesting claim when talking about this deal, he mentioned that the Spurs wisely signed Ratliff to a 1 year deal, instantly making him, "Theo Ratliff's expiring contract".

And we all know how valuable those are this year with the economy of the NBA.

Eh, at a minimum contract I'd think it wouldn't be worth much.

That being said, who knows, but I'd doubt Theo is dealt.

Mr Bones
07-30-2009, 12:30 AM
When Ratliff's name was mentioned before the draft and FA signing period, I wasn't very enthused about him, but now that the Spurs have added McDyess, Blair, and Haislip I think Theo is a very good addition. As a situational defender who can provide a shot-blocking presence at the end of quarters or just a savvy vet who will be able to provide a few minutes here and there he's a good choice, and hopefully he'll help to tutor Mahinmi a little too.

John_C
07-30-2009, 07:20 AM
I think Theo and Dyess are also there for the teaching process of our future front court players. Remember that Theo and Dyess still remain efficient in the way they play their game.

lefty
07-30-2009, 10:20 AM
Timmy, Dice, Theo and Blair are so going to destroy Pussy Gasol

draft87
07-30-2009, 10:29 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs

so how did we change the real ginobili/ratliff photo for an andre miller vs pistons(mcdyess?) ..........

Solid D
07-30-2009, 12:32 PM
I'll just add to what others here have posted about rim protection. Theo represents an extra Big the spurs have on their roster, both in number as well as in shot-blocking they didn't have last year.

The Spurs started the 2008-09 season with 6 Bigs - 5 pivots and 1 combo forward (Tolliver). Unless there are further moves, the Spurs will start 2009-10 with 7 Bigs - 6 pivots and 1 combo forward (Haislip). They went with the extra scoring guard last year with Desmond Farmer to start the season. I like the defense and lane presence that Ratliff provides. Tutoring of Ian and Blair is also a plus.

Nice signing.

Dr Cox
07-30-2009, 01:45 PM
do yall really think that he will play that much? and if he does will impact the game?

i see him as more of a insurance policy for Ian

Solid D
07-30-2009, 02:53 PM
do yall really think that he will play that much? and if he does will impact the game?

i see him as more of a insurance policy for Ian

Matchups and insurance as a minimum, Dr. Cox.

I think Theo's playing time depends on 1) how he performs in the defensive scheme and how his body holds up, 2) what Ian and DeJuan show the Spurs.

It has been frustrating the past 2 or 3 years watching teams beat the Spurs because they are late in their D rotations.

Dr Cox
07-30-2009, 03:06 PM
that is true, i liked fabrico, but when it came down to it, we needed to be more phisical, hopefully blair mcdyess ratliff and harslip can do taht for us,