PDA

View Full Version : Fox news "Duncan doesn't deserve 22 million a year"

Rapper
07-28-2009, 02:01 AM
I saw this article which is translated to Chinese on the internet today,hopefully someone can find the original and post here

What i wanna say is if duncan doesn't deserve a 22million contract ,who deserves?

Chieflion
07-28-2009, 02:03 AM
I saw this article which is translated to Chinese on the internet today,hopefully someone can find the original and post here

What i wanna say is if duncan doesn't deserve a 22million contract ,who deserves?
LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard, Chris Paul, Dwyane Wade.

Dingle Barry
07-28-2009, 02:05 AM
I'll take Timmy over Dwight Howard's choke show any day of the week, thanks.

Rapper
07-28-2009, 02:06 AM
LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard, Chris Paul, Dwyane Wade.

Dawg you mean only these 5 dudes deserve a 20+million contract ?

Chieflion
07-28-2009, 02:06 AM
Try naming me more then.

duncan228
07-28-2009, 02:08 AM
I think this is the piece.

Who is (and isn't) worth a max contract? (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/pgStory?contentId=9839674#sport=NBA&photo=9840882)

No: Tim Duncan and Dirk Nowitzki

Both players have been handsomely compensated for years, and rightfully so. Dirk signed his first maximum contract in 2001 and re-upped for the max in 2006. Duncan will make $22.2 million next season, ranking him fourth in the league (behind Tracy McGrady, Kobe Bryant and Jermaine O'Neal, ludicrously). Dirk was the 2007 MVP and Duncan's won four titles, so it's fair to say they earned their dough. But are they worth it now? That's debatable. Nowitzki hasn't led the Mavs past the second round for three years, while Duncan's 33-year-old knees are wearing down. But credit Duncan for knowing he needs help in order to get a fifth ring. He accepted a paycut the next two seasons so the Spurs can re-sign Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132084

Rapper
07-28-2009, 02:09 AM
Try naming me more then.

Man how about Dirk, Paul pierce and Billups?

Chieflion
07-28-2009, 02:14 AM
Keep dreaming.

Dingle Barry
07-28-2009, 02:17 AM
Kevin Durant

Chieflion
07-28-2009, 02:22 AM
Kevin Durant
Not cherrypicking, but he is still an extremely poor defender.

mosdef17
07-28-2009, 02:22 AM
In my opinion there are only really 3 players in the league worth $20m+ and they are Kobe Bryant, LeBron James and Dwyane Wade. Duncan was worth it when he signed the contract he is currently on but he is nowhere near overpaid compared to someone like Jermaine O'Neil or Ben Wallace before he got bought out and was on $14m this season. Tim Duncan and the Spurs both know that he is no longer worth the $20m+ and thus they agreed to lower his salary in the season after next when he signed that extension. Too many players in the NBA are overpaid, we can't just compare players salaries with other players salaries because 70% of the NBA is overpaid.

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-28-2009, 02:23 AM
Of course he deserves it. He's made way more money for the Spurs than he's got as salary.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-28-2009, 02:25 AM
He accepted a paycut the next two seasons so the Spurs can re-sign Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker.

And THAT is just one of the 400000000000 reasons Tim Duncan deserves any salary he damn wants.

People who write articles like this generally don't seem to actually know much about basketball. They look at the stats and think that measures a player's worth. Um, no. Epic fail.

bugoy
07-28-2009, 02:27 AM
seriously? billups? he's good and all but 20mil?

duncan228
07-28-2009, 02:29 AM
Duncan's salary for the rest of this contract.

2009-2010: $22,183,220

2010-2011: $18,700,000

2011-2012: $21,300,000

Chieflion
07-28-2009, 02:31 AM
Anyone can also make the case that Pierce is not even the best player on his tea and has sort of declined.

Dingle Barry
07-28-2009, 02:34 AM
He definitely has quite a ways to go but "extremely poor" is a bit much for a guy who averages 1.3 SPG and .7 BPG.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-28-2009, 02:34 AM

I suspect they were signed to their first big contracts before the current CBA came into force, and that's why they are in the money.

admiralsnackbar
07-28-2009, 03:04 AM
Of course he deserves it. He's made way more money for the Spurs than he's got as salary.

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

07-28-2009, 03:10 AM
from a business point of view, duncan shouldn't be getting the max right now. he should be getting $16-18 million because there is no question that he way over on the other side of his prime. from a spurs fan point of view, duncan deserves the max. he always did and he always will.

Riverwalkman
07-28-2009, 03:18 AM
We shoud not discuss whether Duncan deserves 22M a year, considering Peter Holt paid luxury tax for about 12M to show his respect to Timmy, he's actually getting 34M. Of course he deserves that.

bigdog
07-28-2009, 03:49 AM
Tim Duncan is a Hall of Famer. He probably deserves 28 million a year.

mudyez
07-28-2009, 04:20 AM

are we really dicussing about how many millions a player earns for going to the gym and doing what he likes most: playing basketball!

Hell mot people I know, have to pay to do that in their speartime!!!

noone deserves it, but if there is anyone in the history of sports it should be Duncan, coz he is the pros pro and delivered with Championships!

Without him, te spurs might be on the brink of moving somewhere else (just like before Robinson came). Now they should be cemented in SA!

Spurious
07-28-2009, 04:55 AM
I don't see the writer admitting that Tim was worth way more to the Spurs during his first contract than he was actually being paid back then. In business (and that's what we're talking about here), the career employee who ends up being "overpaid" late in his career (in the view of lower-salaried colleagues) usually can point back to a time when he or she worked just as long and hard (if not longer and harder) for way less compensation. You'd like to think it all averages out in the end. And if it does, I don't see how you can call the late-stage employee "overpaid" on the basis of current production.

DAF86
07-28-2009, 05:04 AM
Nobody deserves 22 million a year.

hsxvvd
07-28-2009, 05:06 AM
I'd have to say that @ $22mil a year a player needs to be more than a basketball player for a franchise. LeBron, Kobe and Howard are probably the only players who provide the "on court" and "off court" value.

Whilst Duncan provides as much value as any other player on the court, he doesn't provide as much value for the organisation off it.

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-28-2009, 05:11 AM
Whilst Duncan provides as much value as any other player on the court, he doesn't provide as much value for the organisation off it.

Pardon? I sure hope this is some kind of a joke.

mudyez
07-28-2009, 05:24 AM
i don't see the writer admitting that tim was worth way more to the spurs during his first contract than he was actually being paid back then. In business (and that's what we're talking about here), the career employee who ends up being "overpaid" late in his career (in the view of lower-salaried colleagues) usually can point back to a time when he or she worked just as long and hard (if not longer and harder) for way less compensation. You'd like to think it all averages out in the end. And if it does, i don't see how you can call the late-stage employee "overpaid" on the basis of current production.

wtf?

Tully365
07-28-2009, 05:36 AM
Does any athlete truly "deserve" to make more money than the combined salaries of the president, the senate, and a team of surgeons who save thousands of lives each year? Probably not. But in relative terms, Duncan has earned his pay as one of the greatest players on earth, and even if he might be slightly overpaid in his last few seasons, he was underpaid in his first few, so it all balances out.

Muser
07-28-2009, 05:52 AM

This.

There are people dying in the world who can barely earn more than a dollar a week and people are getting paid this amount of money, pathetic.

Pistons < Spurs
07-28-2009, 06:04 AM

This is what Billups said regarding Max players before we resigned him in 2007

Question: Do you feel you are a “max salary” player?

Chauncey: I can’t really answer that. I don’t really think so, because I think there are only about five or six max players in the league. But there are about 15 guys making that. So it depends. If it’s me, I say no. But if you’re paying guys the way you’re paying some guys that really don’t deserve it, then I think I’m definitely worthy.

freemeat
07-28-2009, 06:17 AM
Tim Duncan has earned more than his take-home for Peter Holt and the ownership group. He sells jerseys, tickets and goddamn ice cream to the locals in San Antonio. Duncan deserves to get a piece of the team -- like upwards of 20% ownership.

In Hollywood, actors, directors and producers get a piece of the pie. The fact that Timmy is on the payroll is ludicrous. There are a handful of players who should own a piece of the team they played for -- Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Karl Malone and John Stockton, Wilt Chamberlain and Tim Duncan. I'd consider guys like Reggie Miller, Patrick Ewing and Isiah Thomas to be in that group, too...just for what they meant to their team and city. LeBron is close to joining that group. And I'm sure the Lakers would have found another route without Kobe, but he's there, too.

Tim Duncan's 5th ring should cost $22 million. The city, the ownership and the fans are off-the-charts lucky to have him...and he took a pay-cut to stay and win more.

Rogue
07-28-2009, 06:17 AM

You are Portuguese.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-28-2009, 06:18 AM
There are people dying in the world who can barely earn more than a dollar a week and people are getting paid this amount of money, pathetic.

No shit. The world is a fucked up place, but that is not the issue.

The issue is what % of earnings from the NBA go to the players, and what % of those earnings go to each player. Would you rather he be paid $200,000 and the ultra-rich who own the teams take the rest? Or would you like all the players to be paid the same, regardless of talent? Of course you wouldn't. The players currently get 57% of league income, and to me that makes sense - no players, no league.

Decry the world, sure, it deserves to be pilloried, but don't pretend that's what is actually being discussed in this thread.

Tully365
07-28-2009, 06:37 AM

The issue is what % of earnings from the NBA go to the players, and what % of those earnings go to each player. Would you rather he be paid $200,000 and the ultra-rich who own the teams take the rest? Or would you like all the players to be paid the same, regardless of talent? Of course you wouldn't. The players currently get 57% of league income, and to me that makes sense - no players, no league.

Decry the world, sure, it deserves to be pilloried, but don't pretend that's what is actually being discussed in this thread.

I agree with you to a point, but another angle could be that maybe it shouldn't cost a genuine fan a week's salary or more to bring his family to a game where tickets are extremely expensive, hot dogs are $5 and tiny little ice creams are $4, etc... I've been to the NBA store in NYC a couple of times but rarely buy anything because the prices are crazy and I can easily buy the same things on ebay for so much less. I was really excited when I saw a Willis Reed college jersey from Grambling until I looked at the price tag-- $129.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-28-2009, 06:53 AM
I agree with you to a point, but another angle could be that maybe it shouldn't cost a genuine fan a week's salary or more to bring his family to a game where tickets are extremely expensive, hot dogs are $5 and tiny little ice creams are $4, etc... I've been to the NBA store in NYC a couple of times but rarely buy anything because the prices are crazy and I can easily buy the same things on ebay for so much less. I was really excited when I saw a Willis Reed college jersey from Grambling until I looked at the price tag-- $129.

Yup, can't disagree with that. But for that to happen both owners and players would have to accept a smaller share of the world's loot, and that is unlikely.

However, it is the same for every "industry" in the world, given that the core tennet of our economic system is infinite growth... of everything! Everyone (including the NBA) is striving for more money or more stuff or a bigger slice of an ever-expanding pie, completely ignoring the fact that we live in a finite world. See, the pie can't expand forever, and I just hope that when it has ceased puffing up, it chars a little around the edges rather than imploding in spontaneous combustion.

"Sustainability" is a mere catchphrase and is not being enacted in the world in any real sense yet. Thus, the salaries grow and you pay $5 for a hotdog.

That there is systematic human ecology! :lol

:smokin

exstatic
07-28-2009, 07:28 AM

In a league where BILLIONS are raked in every year, elite winning players certainly DO deserve $22M or whatever they can get. Unfortunately for the handful that do deserve it, you have many other non elite, non winning players who get it and piss everyone off, but to say no one deserves it is just foolishness.

DMX7
07-28-2009, 07:46 AM
Fox News... enough said.

Rogue
07-28-2009, 08:23 AM
Fox News... enough said.
:lol pwned, fox news really sucks. The only program I don't dislike on that channel is just the Brian&the judge in every weekday morning, though it's pretty clear dudes' political views are both pretty childish.

completely deck
07-28-2009, 08:51 AM
Fox News... enough said.

:lol pwned, fox news really sucks. The only program I don't dislike on that channel is just the Brian&the judge in every weekday morning, though it's pretty clear dudes' political views are both pretty childish.

:rolleyes

guzmangm
07-28-2009, 08:51 AM
Do I think he deserves it? Hell ya, before Tim, the Spurs were always the bridesmaid and never the bride. My heart would get broken almost every summer as they would lose out to the Jazz, Suns, etc, etc... Now the market rate for him may have diminished because of his knees, but without him we would not have had any hardware... In my opinion, now, Kobe is probably the only one who is worth that kind of money, proven winner, still young healthy. Well maybe Lebron because he sells tickets, but hasn't won anything yet, championships. Players cost what their perspective teams; other teams are willing to pay. A lot of them seem overpaid, but with a Tim Duncan you get a leader, unselfish, no headaches and dedication. Not too mention his best effort. That's got to be worth something too, but should be a given when you are paid to play. (unfortunately).

hater
07-28-2009, 09:05 AM
yeah, Fox news is the most pathetic news channel. It's just sad to watch the bitching.

Harry Callahan
07-28-2009, 09:11 AM
First of All,
The Fox Sports website is weak. I've never heard of the guy writing this article. However, to equate this site to Fox News in general is ignorant.

MSNBC employs a bunch of looney left creeps (especially Mathews, Olbermann, and Madcow Maddow). Unwatchable garbage. Of course Fox News is more conservative friendly, because other network and cable outfits are not.

Back to basketball,
1) Why is it that Kevin Garnett seems to garner more respect than Tim Duncan even though he is essentially a failure when it comes to ultimate success? I would argue that Paul Pierce and Ray Allen and a strong roster bailed him out in 08. KG is the same age as Duncan and just coming off knee surgery while TD gutted it out last year and played through the season. Before his knee issue late in the season, TD was playing very well. And yet, the KG lapdog feels he is worth a max contract and Duncan is not? Dumb.

2) Kobe Bryant will be 31 years old at the start of this year with 3 to 3 1/2 more seasons of wear and tear on his knees than other players his same age. The decline is coming soon.

SpurCharger
07-28-2009, 09:24 AM
Last Time I checked Duncan Has 4 rings....... Shaq Has 4 Rings........ And your Telling me shaq Isnt Overpaid??? Both of these Guys Paid there Dues, and they are both Still 2 of the best Bigs In the Game...... They Deserve whats Comin to them they Carried the league from 1999 to 2007......

ploto
07-28-2009, 09:51 AM
The issue is what % of earnings from the NBA go to the players, and what % of those earnings go to each player. Would you rather he be paid $200,000 and the ultra-rich who own the teams take the rest?

The owner of anything is the person who takes the financial risk to invest in it, to borrow money for it, and to pay the price if it fails or suffers hardships. Hence, they deserve the right to make alot more than the employee who risked nothing. Many of these owners earned their money working a lot harder than the players who play for the basketball teams. Most of these players work a few hours a day whether at practice on non-game days or shootaround and the game on games days. Their season lasts 7 months to 9 months depending on if they make the play-offs and they can have a long summer every year. They get paid ridiculous amounts of money for playing a game where you try to put a ball in a basket and prevent the other team from doing so. Even a minimum contract player makes more than most physicians who spent 4 years in college, 4 years in medical school, and 3 to 7 years in residency (often working over 100 hours/week) all while possibly racking up over $100,000 or more in debt just to go to school. And he or she does not even start earning that salary until the age of 30 or so. So no one deserves $22M a year for playing a game.

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-28-2009, 10:07 AM
The owner of anything is the person who takes the financial risk to invest in it, to borrow money for it, and to pay the price if it fails or suffers hardships. Hence, they deserve the right to make alot more than the employee who risked nothing. Many of these owners earned their money working a lot harder than the players who play for the basketball teams. Most of these players work a few hours a day whether at practice on non-game days or shootaround and the game on games days. Their season lasts 7 months to 9 months depending on if they make the play-offs and they can have a long summer every year. They get paid ridiculous amounts of money for playing a game where you try to put a ball in a basket and prevent the other team from doing so. Even a minimum contract player makes more than most physicians who spent 4 years in college, 4 years in medical school, and 3 to 7 years in residency (often working over 100 hours/week) all while possibly racking up over $100,000 or more in debt just to go to school. And he or she does not even start earning that salary until the age of 30 or so. So no one deserves $22M a year for playing a game.

Well such is life, your logic is correct but it's not how things work in real life. IMO these guys deserve their money, just like actors do and other similar professions. It's true they don't have the responsibility of a heart surgeon for example, but these guys generate so much income with their personality/play/charm/etc. that they totally deserve what they make. There are many who have failed to get there and no one can claim it's more difficult to become a good doctor than to become an NBA player or a great actor.

Everyone is, or should be, fully aware of what their education could bring them down the line. I work as a programmer, don't make nearly as much as a min NBA player, and while I consider myself smarter than your average NBA player, I can't say I deserve more than them because I don't see millions of people turning up to watch me work in my office every day and pay good money for this on top of it.

bishopospurs
07-28-2009, 10:12 AM
There is an elephant in the room... or should I say a Shaq in the room.... talk about overpaid.

duhoh
07-28-2009, 10:15 AM
He definitely has quite a ways to go but "extremely poor" is a bit much for a guy who averages 1.3 SPG and .7 BPG.

watch thunder games.

the better teams will attack durant on defense. he's that bad.

Summers
07-28-2009, 10:21 AM
I'd have to say that @ $22mil a year a player needs to be more than a basketball player for a franchise. LeBron, Kobe and Howard are probably the only players who provide the "on court" and "off court" value.

San Antonio isn't LA or Orlando. Duncan does just fine here.

bishopospurs
07-28-2009, 10:22 AM
One more thing, someone definitely correct I am wrong, the difference between Duncan and many of his contemporaries is if he was banking millions more than he was worth on the court he would restructure his contract to help the team in his twilight. I think Duncan is far more loyal than a lot of his fellow players. That is why next off season is so hyped up. I can't remember when Jordan, Bird, Magic, Ewing, or even Robinson were ever free agents. I know David was in 95 (6 yr./66 mil) and 01 (2 yr./20 mil), but it wasn't because he was threatening to leave.

bishopospurs
07-28-2009, 10:24 AM

very very good point

SpuronyourFace
07-28-2009, 10:26 AM
LOL

Its Bullshit.

There is no link. couldn't find it even after a Google search.

Thread starter is full of shit.

bishopospurs
07-28-2009, 10:34 AM
LOL

Its Bullshit.

I thought Duncan228 posted it down somewhere on the first page

weebo
07-28-2009, 11:06 AM
No one and I mean NO ONE deserves to make that much money playing a game. Not even the great. Having said that, the NBA is a money making machine and the players like Duncan that make the league great deserve to get paid accordingly. Duncan like Shaq, Kobe, Lebron, etc... are big name draws and people pay good money to watch these guys perform no matter how productive they are now. So yes! Duncan deserves every single dime he gets this year and the next and the next after that.

fotan2
07-28-2009, 11:16 AM

he's got the point. who is feeding the NBA? it's the world, it's the people who do not play basketball for their living.

elbamba
07-28-2009, 11:40 AM

Are you kidding me? He is on a team that plays poor defense, his one-on-one defense is pretty solid. He is one of the best ten players in the league today and he is what 20-21 years old?

easjer
07-28-2009, 11:45 AM
It's pointless to argue about what salary should or shouldn't in relation to other professions. You don't want it this way, stop watching, stop going to games, stop buying merchandise. You bankroll it, you allow the funds to pay for the small commodity of players to be paid what they are paid.

As far as salaries go, strictly speaking the article is probably right on. If Duncan were renegotiating his contract today, he probably wouldn't rate $20+ million. But it's not the way it works. I agree with others that he is making more than he is probably strictly worth and that is as it should be, given the period of time for which is he was underpaid for what he was worth (earlier in his career). Players can and do cash in later in life. On balance, I think he was worth it, and mentioning that he took a paycut to make the team better and give them flexibility - that says a lot about his desire to win, which makes him worth it in my book.

JamStone
07-28-2009, 11:56 AM
Actual performance value versus actual value when considering everything else.

There's an argument for either or. From a business standpoint, no. But, I understand why some people argue that he does, as it extends beyond what Duncan currently is capable of doing on the court.

duncan228
07-28-2009, 12:48 PM
LOL

Its Bullshit.

I think this is the piece.

Who is (and isn't) worth a max contract? (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/pgStory?contentId=9839674#sport=NBA&photo=9840882)

No: Tim Duncan and Dirk Nowitzki

Both players have been handsomely compensated for years, and rightfully so. Dirk signed his first maximum contract in 2001 and re-upped for the max in 2006. Duncan will make $22.2 million next season, ranking him fourth in the league (behind Tracy McGrady, Kobe Bryant and Jermaine O'Neal, ludicrously). Dirk was the 2007 MVP and Duncan's won four titles, so it's fair to say they earned their dough. But are they worth it now? That's debatable. Nowitzki hasn't led the Mavs past the second round for three years, while Duncan's 33-year-old knees are wearing down. But credit Duncan for knowing he needs help in order to get a fifth ring. He accepted a paycut the next two seasons so the Spurs can re-sign Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132084

scottspurs
07-28-2009, 12:51 PM
I would give Duncan whatever he wanted. 50 million a year, you got it Timmy.

Stand
07-28-2009, 01:08 PM
It's pointless to argue about what salary should or shouldn't in relation to other professions. You don't want it this way, stop watching, stop going to games, stop buying merchandise. You bankroll it, you allow the funds to pay for the small commodity of players to be paid what they are paid.

+1 Asking someone to get off the net and actually have the backbone to stand up for their beliefs is asking a little much don't you think? :p:

TheSullyMonster
07-28-2009, 02:28 PM
+1 Asking someone to get off the net and actually have the backbone to stand up for their beliefs is asking a little much don't you think? :p:

And coupling that with understanding economics? Nope, entirely too much.

Spursfan092120
07-28-2009, 02:30 PM
Duncan's salary for the rest of this contract.

2009-2010: $22,183,220

2010-2011: $18,700,000

2011-2012: $21,300,000
and worth every penny.

Trainwreck2100
07-28-2009, 02:33 PM

i deserve 22 mil a year

Agloco
07-28-2009, 03:03 PM
This.

+1

Entertainers of all kinds. Priorities.....

Most will gladly go down to the mall and and shell out $130 for an authentic jersey or shell out $70 for a movie but heaven forbid that they have to pay that $30 co-pay for the doc or taxes for that fire station down the street.

ambchang
07-28-2009, 03:15 PM
I don't get why people are saying entertainers do not deserve that kind of money. They went into a high risk profession knowing full well that their chases of "making it" is extremely small.

The market determined that customers are willing to pay big bucks to watch a game, buy products a player endorses, watch TV which earns money through advertising, etc ... The players are at the top of a profession that requires a small amount of people to make a huge amount of revenue, and that revenue stream was dictated by the market, people who are willing to dish out a thousand bucks a game to sit courtside, shell out $7 of a hotdog, etc ...

Tim Duncan helped the Spurs organization pull in people who are willing to pay that kind of money. He deserved every penny.

DesignatedT
07-28-2009, 03:18 PM
Duncan can have whatever the fuck he wants.\

He deserves every penny.

Bartleby
07-28-2009, 03:25 PM
If the Spurs announced Duncan was on the trading block there would be 29 GM's scrambling to put a package together that matches his salary.

Strike
07-28-2009, 03:34 PM
i deserve 22 mil a year

Off topic: Trainwreck, you have two of the best gif's I've ever seen. Do you find them or make them yourself.

Back to topic: For what Tim Duncan has done for the franchise, I think he does deserve 22 mil a year. I'm fine with it. I'd be fine shelling out half my paycheck to see a Spurs game in the AT&T if I lived in San Antonio. Hell, I've shelled out half my check to see him and the Spurs play here in Portland. Do the Spurs get the money I shelled out for a Blazers home game?

I've bought jerseys, hats, shirts, DVD's, etc. And I was happy to do it. I never gave it a second thought. And I'll continue to pay for merch knowing that part of my money (albeit a very SMALL part) goes to pay his salary.

bresilhac
07-28-2009, 03:35 PM
This.

I hate to say it but how many of those 1 dollar people do what today's NBA players do? I mean these players salaries are completely market driven. If you are incredibly valuable and bring in millions to your organization you will be paid, handsomely. It's not a matter of being fair or unfair. But this is why players salaries are driven sky high. And given this economic situation Peter Holt should be praised and commended for being so committed to putting a superior and yes very expensive product on the floor for us to enjoy all these years.

bresilhac
07-28-2009, 03:36 PM
I don't get why people are saying entertainers do not deserve that kind of money. They went into a high risk profession knowing full well that their chases of "making it" is extremely small.

The market determined that customers are willing to pay big bucks to watch a game, buy products a player endorses, watch TV which earns money through advertising, etc ... The players are at the top of a profession that requires a small amount of people to make a huge amount of revenue, and that revenue stream was dictated by the market, people who are willing to dish out a thousand bucks a game to sit courtside, shell out $7 of a hotdog, etc ...

Tim Duncan helped the Spurs organization pull in people who are willing to pay that kind of money. He deserved every penny.

Exactly my point.

ILoveOranges
07-28-2009, 03:44 PM
2) Kobe Bryant will be 31 years old at the start of this year with 3 to 3 1/2 more seasons of wear and tear on his knees than other players his same age. The decline is coming soon.

Let's not forget how much of a primadonna Kobe tends to be. Lawsuits, teammate bashing, and the demands to be traded. As good as he is basketball-wise, he's a douche. Duncan brings no problems whatsoever to the table, and always seems to encourage teams rather than talking trash about them.

anonoftheinternets
07-28-2009, 04:02 PM
people are looking at this in the wrong way. When players like Duncan are around, (he was a BEAST 1999-2005) they are worth soooo much more than 20 million, but u can only get paid 20 million or there abouts, so they pay the "extra" in terms of years. If it makes u people feel better, he was worth 30 million in 2003, and prob 15 million now, so it totals to the same amount.

As for why entertainers earn so much, dont hate the player, hate the game, that was not the thread topic .. topic is if duncan is worth the max....

45 bank shot
07-28-2009, 04:34 PM
:lol
LOL

Its Bullshit.

read the whole thread before you comment.
otherwise, u don't know whoz making an ass of himself.:lol:lol

sabar
07-28-2009, 05:47 PM
If you think its a travesty that players get paid $22 million while people starve to death earning nothing, then perhaps you should stop putting money in the players pockets by watching games/buying tickets and donate it all to charity.

j-money24
07-28-2009, 06:43 PM
Spurs fans don't realize that Duncan is old and past his prime.

Gutter92
07-28-2009, 06:50 PM

:blah

anonoftheinternets
07-28-2009, 06:52 PM

^ thisss ... guy is an idiot ...

afireinside20
07-28-2009, 06:54 PM

Wow!!! This coming from a Faker fan, what a surprise!! :lol

waly.mg
07-28-2009, 07:03 PM

Unbelievable BS

Tim Duncan have 4 rings and his Contract are how much?

200 millions?

Every GM of the league want to pay 200 if one player give him 4 Rings, probably someone like Mark Cuban can pay 500 millions too

waly.mg
07-28-2009, 07:11 PM
And ther leaderboard is:

T-Mac: +23 millions
Kobe: 23
Jermaine: -23
Duncan: 22
Shaq: 20
Dirk, Pierce and Allen: Almost 20
R Lewis: Almost 19
Michael Reed: +17

In performance by dollar probably only Kobe deserve every dollar more than Tim Duncan

FkLA
07-28-2009, 07:21 PM
In my opinion there are only really 3 players in the league worth $20m+ and they are Kobe Bryant, LeBron James and Dwyane Wade. Duncan was worth it when he signed the contract he is currently on but he is nowhere near overpaid compared to someone like Jermaine O'Neil or Ben Wallace before he got bought out and was on $14m this season. Tim Duncan and the Spurs both know that he is no longer worth the $20m+ and thus they agreed to lower his salary in the season after next when he signed that extension. Too many players in the NBA are overpaid, we can't just compare players salaries with other players salaries because 70% of the NBA is overpaid.

Great point, the thread shouldve ended after your post. Maybe Tim isnt a max player now but he stayed here instead of jetting for Orlando for more money, was underpaid, and took numerous pay cuts through out his career. Tim deserves to the $22 mill, besides there's other guys like Joe Johnson and Rashard Lewis who have max contracts and Tim even as worn down as he is is ten times the player they are.

Also people that say Howard is worthy of a max contract at this point in time are way off...dude is way too raw offensively, he has no low post game whatsoever and you cannot depend on him to carry the team offensively. He's a stud on defense but he's got a way to go on offense, Tim as worn down as he is is still a way better offensive player than Howard. Tim is no stiff on defense either, so overall I still give the edge to Duncan as being a better player. In a couple of yrs, as Howard develops and Duncan declines further that will change but for now Timmy is a better player.

Cry Havoc
07-28-2009, 07:30 PM
:lmao @ people who watch basketball, go to games, support the sport, and surf around on an NBA-related website decrying players for making so much money.

Hey, geniuses, you're the ones giving them money. If you supported your local PTA or high school like you do the NBA, perhaps our school system would be better off.

The players deserve the money. If you had people all over the planet paying $150+ for apparel with your name on it, you would deserve that kind of money too. Sports venues bring in millions upon billions of dollars for a state. Without them, there would be a lot less money for other things, because if sports weren't around, people would damn sure find a way to be selfish and still spend it on themselves.

waly.mg
07-28-2009, 07:32 PM
The biggest every more payed was Finley

Mark Cuban payed him 3 years and 51 millions and he played in San Antonio

Manu-of-steel
07-28-2009, 07:59 PM
I'm from asia. As a nurse, I earn 12,000 pesos/month (266 US dollars) while helping save people's lives. Nurses in the USA get 6000 dollars/ month, and we have the same tasks. Actors/actresses get millions of dollars per movie. Life is really not fair, but at this age, we should have been aware of the reality for a long time.

Timmy deserves every penny he's getting. And i think it's fair, because he helped give us the 4 rings, plus possibly our 5th ring this coming season.

mingus
07-28-2009, 09:01 PM
Duncan is one of the best at what he does and he's really put the Spurs on the map and helped make them into one of the most respectable franchsies in the NBA, and in all of sports for that matter. in an ideal world, where millions upon million of people are dying because they have no money, is he worth that money? no. but, and Ruff hit the nail on the head, relative to the owners, they make an appropriate amount of money. it's a players' league, and they deserve the amount they're making.

mingus
07-28-2009, 09:03 PM
dp

peskypesky
07-28-2009, 09:04 PM
:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

timaios
07-28-2009, 09:14 PM
The next 3 years :
Tim Duncan : $22,183,220 + $18,700,000 + $21,300,000

That's $62,183,220 for 3 years.
That's $20,727,740 / year.

So Duncan does deserve "only" $20,7 million a year. :toast

timtonymanurich
07-28-2009, 09:23 PM
Spurs fans don't realize that Duncan is old and past his prime.<------ :flipoff

Does this Laker fag realize that the LAST TIME SA played LA that Timmy was a few assists shy of a TRIPLE DOUBLE!!! Past his prime, huh.... If that's the case so is Kobe. They're only a year apart....

TDMVPDPOY
07-28-2009, 10:12 PM
sayin duncan aint worth 20m a season is like saying jordan wasnt worth the 33-40m a season that he was gettin in his last 2 seasons with the bulls...loyalty and service to one organization is worth it only to the right candidate...

OrEmuN
07-28-2009, 11:32 PM
T-Mac: +23 millions
Kobe: 23
Jermaine: -23
Duncan: 22
Shaq: 20
Dirk, Pierce and Allen: Almost 20
R Lewis: Almost 19
Michael Reed: +17

In performance by dollar probably only Kobe deserve every dollar more than Tim Duncan

I will say TD is the most deserving one on this list, more than Kobe even. Why?

1. TD and Kobe should be the 'deserving' ones with 4 rings. Shaq not far behind

2. TD > Kobe for value because he wins it without exceeding the cap room (besides this year). He makes people around him better (see Manu, Parker) by trusting them. He makes them coachable (quote Pops), thus making them All-Stars without paying them All-Stars wages (yet). Whereas Kobe just bitch about having rubbish teammates and threaten to leave if nothing is done. Lakers have to go over the cap to accomodate for that. As such, Kobe in fact, has forced Lakers to pay 23 million + whatever over the luxury tax.

Sisk
07-29-2009, 12:22 AM
This.

evil evil capitalism

world peace! :downspin:

phyzik
07-29-2009, 12:27 AM
Haters like laker fans like to denounce the Spurs and Timmy (they hope and pray about their delusions that Timmy's knee's are shot), but the simple fact remains that, regardless of what they say now, if they heard Duncan was available on the trading block they would be jizzing their pants and foaming at the mouth if they knew there was a chance of their team aquiring him. Even when his contract expires in a few years, if he decided to play more and hit free agency, he would get PAID.

THATS why he is worth what he is paid.

THATS why Shaq gets paid.

/End fucking Thread.

Chieflion
07-29-2009, 06:18 AM
Are you kidding me? He is on a team that plays poor defense, his one-on-one defense is pretty solid. He is one of the best ten players in the league today and he is what 20-21 years old?
Bullshit. So why did teams attack him on the defensive end even though he has a 9 feet 2 inch wingspan and supposed to be built as an All-NBA defender. His team, statistically also does better on defense when he is out of the game. So, you are telling me his one on one defense is solid which is wrong and his team's defense is weak which is better than when Durant is on the floor makes me think otherwise.

TDMVPDPOY
07-29-2009, 08:55 AM
just wait till tim lifts up another championship throphy and prove the haters wrong