PDA

View Full Version : Grizzlies Owner Says Ex-Piston Allen Iverson Not In Plans

duncan228
07-28-2009, 03:27 PM
Grizzlies owner says ex-Piston Allen Iverson not in plans (http://www.freep.com/article/20090728/SPORTS03/907280357/1048/sports/Grizzlies-owner-says-ex-Piston-Allen-Iverson-not-in-plans)
Free Press Staff and News Services

Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley was emphatic over the weekend that a roster move was not made to create more salary-cap space for former Piston Allen Iverson.

"Iverson wasn't even part of the conversation," Heisley told the Memphis Commercial Appeal after renouncing the rights to power forward Hakim Warrick ($3 million in savings) late last week.

It set off immediate speculation that the Grizzlies were going to renew contact talks with Iverson, whom the Grizzlies flirted with shortly after the free-agency period began July 1.

But Heisley quelled that talk.

"I think we decided we wanted some flexibility," Heisley said. "But the idea that there is a target is completely false. As for Iverson, I think he's trying to get with a team like L.A. (Clippers) or Miami or someone like that.

"Frankly, I've tried to tell everybody that I don't think we're at the top of Iverson's list, but no one wants to listen. All it is, we're basically opening up cap room for us."

Iverson, 34, was acquired by the Pistons shortly after last season began, but he was never really in the team's long-term plans as the move was mostly for the four-time scoring champ's expiring contract.

DenDen
07-28-2009, 05:12 PM
The purple and pisst should pick up AI