PDA

View Full Version : Best place to buy a bed

Leetonidas
07-28-2009, 06:06 PM
So next month when I get my financial aid check I wanna buy a brand new bed because I've been sleeping on an air mattress for the longest time since my old bed went kaput. Since I haven't had to get one in many years I really don't know much about mattress shopping so I'm just wondering...

Where's the best place to get a bed around here? I don't need a head board and all that shit, just a mattress and box spring. And I'm looking to spend $400 or less.

JoeChalupa
07-28-2009, 08:05 PM
Billy Bob?

Frenzy
07-28-2009, 08:27 PM
what size?

a pretty good quality TWIN mattress and foundation could run you about 300-400$
full...and queen and king obviously more...
(I worked in like 3 diff furniture stores)

TDMVPDPOY
07-28-2009, 10:04 PM
u ever tried ex-display models from display homes?

they go cheap, who cares if someones been on it, it still looks brand fkn new...for something that costs 1-2k+ brand new in a designer store...

JoeChalupa
07-28-2009, 10:05 PM
u ever tried ex-display models from display homes?

they go cheap, who cares if someones been on it, it still looks brand fkn new...for something that costs 1-2k+ brand new in a designer store...

You know I've never heard of that but I'm sure you could find some good deals that way.

Frenzy
07-28-2009, 10:17 PM
You know I've never heard of that but I'm sure you could find some good deals that way.

it's actually illegal to sell display models(in a store business,far as i know)..not a law they enforce to the t but still if both parties are hush hush whats the harm ay

TDMVPDPOY
07-28-2009, 10:26 PM
it's actually illegal to sell display models(in a store business,far as i know)..not a law they enforce to the t but still if both parties are hush hush whats the harm ay

it aint illegal man, most of them ex-display furniture are actually rented/leased by the builder then return back to the vendor after a display house is sold, vendor has no used for such furniture anyway and sells it at heavily reduced prices.

if ur that picky, just buy the frame of the furniture aka bed, and buy the mattress from somewhere else....

Frenzy
07-28-2009, 10:38 PM
it aint illegal man, most of them ex-display furniture are actually rented/leased by the builder then return back to the vendor after a display house is sold, vendor has no used for such furniture anyway and sells it at heavily reduced prices.

if ur that picky, just buy the frame of the furniture aka bed, and buy the mattress from somewhere else....

i'm just going by the furniture stores i worked. they wouldn't let us..violates health codes and some other thing i forget. We just ended up tossing them in the dumpster.(after destroying them completly) of course there were more than enough ppl willing to buy ex floor models at discount prices...even if kids food prints where on there... dam kids.

bigzak25
07-28-2009, 10:52 PM
if you wanna buy a good bed for that price check the paper first and foremost!

LongtimeSpursFan
07-28-2009, 11:04 PM
Sams Club has great prices on mattresses and box springs. I bought a queen mattress and box spring for $350. So you even have money to buy the frame (I think those cost $45). Sure you have to pay membership fee of $35 or $40 but worth it when you consider how much $400 will get you. You can go to any Sams Club and tell them you wanna "look around" because you are interested in getting a membership so you can check them out.

mrsmaalox
07-28-2009, 11:14 PM
I've heard good things about getting mattresses (and tires) at Sam's :tu I've bought my kids' mattresses at the Mattress Firm, mostly because it was convenient and I didn't feel like comparative shopping. I got a good deal (I think) on full size Tempurapedic mattresses for about $600 each. I bought a cheapo($350) queen size from some warehouse place in Killeen for my rental home and it was shitty. Lasted about 6 mos before it developed the valley in the middle.

PuttPutt
07-29-2009, 02:18 AM
Check Costco too. I know it's more than you want to spend, but I got a good Seally king size for $899

EricB
07-29-2009, 02:41 AM
Sams Club has great prices on mattresses and box springs. I bought a queen mattress and box spring for $350. So you even have money to buy the frame (I think those cost $45). Sure you have to pay membership fee of $35 or $40 but worth it when you consider how much $400 will get you. You can go to any Sams Club and tell them you wanna "look around" because you are interested in getting a membership so you can check them out.

This.

Just bought a fantastic queen pillow top from Sam's Club.

Awesome awesome serta mattress.

PM5K
07-29-2009, 03:28 AM
Whatever you do get off of that air mattress, I'd rather sleep on a dead bum than that.....

TDMVPDPOY
07-29-2009, 05:44 AM
Whatever you do get off of that air mattress, I'd rather sleep on a dead bum than that.....

i think he should goto those adult shops and buy himself a fake ass to sleep on, while he can put it to good use when his lonely at night not getting any putang....

SpursStalker
07-29-2009, 07:11 AM
Billy Bob?

:tu

I bought one from MrBob and I love it!

Got a queen sized pillow top with delivery and removal of old mattress for $530 or something like that. I left the place at a little after 12 went to lunch with PS and my bed was delivered by 2pm ...

:D

JudynTX
07-29-2009, 08:52 AM
I've heard good things about getting mattresses (and tires) at Sam's :tu I've bought my kids' mattresses at the Mattress Firm, mostly because it was convenient and I didn't feel like comparative shopping. I got a good deal (I think) on full size Tempurapedic mattresses for about $600 each. I bought a cheapo($350) queen size from some warehouse place in Killeen for my rental home and it was shitty. Lasted about 6 mos before it developed the valley in the middle.

Best bed I ever owned! :worthy::worthy: I love how the mattress just swallows you in. :D

CosmicCowboy
07-29-2009, 09:05 AM
Buy straight from the manufacturer...they are good quality but inexpensive mattreses...no advertising or middlemen..

Texas Mattress Co
(210) 226-6181 2619 S Flores St
San Antonio, TX

lebomb
07-29-2009, 09:07 AM
The best deals for mattresses to me are on the West and South side of town. You can hit up one of the stores and negotiate price big time. Trust me..........Ive done it before. LOL

ashbeeigh
07-29-2009, 09:15 AM
When you said bed I assumed you meant bed frame not mattress...so deceiving! I was like..."Go to to Ikea! I love Ikea!" But....just go to Sam's or Costco you'll save a ton of gas money.

Thunder Dan
07-29-2009, 09:29 AM
I bought a bed at Ikea I like and it looks nice and was cheap. Then I just bought a mattress at one of those factory stores

here is my bed for all you dreamers out that that wonder where I sleep
http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/76597_PE196885_S3.jpg

ashbeeigh
07-29-2009, 09:34 AM
I bought a bed at Ikea I like and it looks nice and was cheap. Then I just bought a mattress at one of those factory stores

here is my bed for all you dreamers out that that wonder where I sleep
http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/76597_PE196885_S3.jpg

I was between that one and this one when I finally went in. I went with this one.

http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/22199_PE107066_S4.jpg

The nice thing about either of those is that you don't need the box spring.

ploto
07-29-2009, 10:47 AM
Not to rain on the mattress parade, but should you be spending your college financial aid on a brand new bed? Isn't this how college students start a life of debt.

Thunder Dan
07-29-2009, 10:51 AM
Not to rain on the mattress parade, but should you be spending your college financial aid on a brand new bed? Isn't this how college students start a life of debt.

I agree.

I'm 25, I graduated when I was 22 from college and I spent the better part of 2 years paying off the stupid decisions I made in college when I had no money. Believe me, if REALLY REALLY REALLY sucks to actually make money and you can't spend it on things you need or want because of dumb things you did years prior- it also sucks when you are in that transition between college and finding a job and you look at the pile of stupid debt you built up over a bunch of bullshit. The pressure of landing a solid gig is magnified when you have that hanging over your head.

mrsmaalox
07-29-2009, 11:16 AM
Well the image of a struggling, starving student can be a bit romanticized I think. No one one can be expected to be very productive if their musculoskeletal system is falling apart.
Lee, I personally think you have your priorities set. You can't be any kind of student without decent health. Now if you were verbalizing your intent to buy a new sound system for your car with that money, I'd the first one to say :nope

Leetonidas
07-29-2009, 11:44 AM
i think he should goto those adult shops and buy himself a fake ass to sleep on, while he can put it to good use when his lonely at night not getting any putang....

Fuck you asswipe. :flipoff

The reason I need the bed is my girlfriend is living with me now and this air bed just sucks major ass for two people. It was mediocre at best for me, but with the two of us it's awful.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Sam's Club sounds like my best bet. $350 for a queen mattress and box spring is a really good deal. :tu But are they like, plush and soft? Or are they thin and springy? I want a decent mattress.

Leetonidas
07-29-2009, 11:46 AM

First off, I don't need someone telling me how to spend my money. Secondly, it's a grant, and I already have all the math figured out and I'm gonna have a little extra cash, about 2000 bucks, to spend on clothes, books, and whatever else I need. And a bed is really imperative for me right now.

But thanks for your concern. :toast

CosmicCowboy
07-29-2009, 11:49 AM
I was between that one and this one when I finally went in. I went with this one.

http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/22199_PE107066_S4.jpg

The nice thing about either of those is that you don't need the box spring.

Sure are a lot of sharp edges on that thing. You obviously weren't thinking about wild sex when you bought it.

Leetonidas
07-29-2009, 11:49 AM
Well the image of a struggling, starving student can be a bit romanticized I think. No one one can be expected to be very productive if their musculoskeletal system is falling apart.
Lee, I personally think you have your priorities set. You can't be any kind of student without decent health. Now if you were verbalizing your intent to buy a new sound system for your car with that money, I'd the first one to say :nope

:tu :lol

Thanks, but I've already had my first experience with coming into a lot of money and spending it all on bullshit, so that's something I really don't intend on doing ever again.

SpursWoman
07-29-2009, 12:06 PM
Sure are a lot of sharp edges on that thing. You obviously weren't thinking about wild sex when you bought it.

And/or anything to tie anything to ... :nerd

SpursWoman
07-29-2009, 12:07 PM
We've actually looked at the ones at Sam's and they do have very good deals on good quality mattresses. Definitely wouldn't be a waste of time just to look. :tu

CuckingFunt
07-29-2009, 12:13 PM

You could use restraints on the supports that are visible between the slats in the headboard.

SpursWoman
07-29-2009, 12:22 PM
You could use restraints on the supports that are visible between the slats in the headboard.

True ... but the footboard looks pretty useless. :lol

SpursWoman
07-29-2009, 12:23 PM

If it helps at all, I'm pretty sure he's retarded. :fro

mrsmaalox
07-29-2009, 12:24 PM

Shit--I don't need to tie anyone to my bed, ever. Once they are there, they never try to escape. ;)

CuckingFunt
07-29-2009, 12:26 PM
True ... but the footboard looks pretty useless. :lol

That's where flexibility comes in handy -- wrists and ankles tied to the same place.

Or one could just buy a set of the restraints that go under the mattress.

Leetonidas
07-29-2009, 12:45 PM

Well thanks for letting me know, I feel much better now that I was insulted by a retard. :lol

ashbeeigh
07-29-2009, 12:51 PM

:lol to be honest I was looking for the lowest bed I could find just in case I had a seizure late at night I wouldn't have far to fall. The last time that happened I fell a good two and a half feet (in college when there was stuff stored underneath the bed) and it hurt like hell. Wild sex wasn't top priority.

CosmicCowboy
07-29-2009, 12:51 PM
LOL I don't do restraints. Ever.

A friend of mine was dating a stripper once...she told him she was gonna invite another stripper friend over for a three way...they scheduled it for the next time they were both off the same night...

My buddy was totally insufferable all week bragging about it...the girlfriend showed up and they all got naked and they convinced my buddy to let them tie him up...

As soon as he was tied up the girlfriends friend took a big steaming shit on his chest and then they left him tied up while they went out partying all night! :lmao

At first he refused to tell me what happened and he refused to talk about it but I got him shit faced drunk a few weeks later and he spilled the beans...:lol

SpursWoman
07-29-2009, 01:07 PM
I'm pretty sure I wouldn't let a stranger tie me up .... you think that'd go without saying that that would be a bad idea. Gross. :lol

CosmicCowboy
07-29-2009, 01:40 PM
LOL...drunk or not I still can't believe he finally confessed. I wouldn't have admitted that shit if he was waterboarding me :lol

CosmicCowboy
07-29-2009, 01:59 PM
As weird as some of the threads in here get I almost expected someone to post.."oh yeah! I remember that guy!" :lol

CosmicCowboy
07-29-2009, 03:57 PM
Shit--I don't need to tie anyone to my bed, ever. Once they are there, they never try to escape. ;)

Where did that evil eyebrow smiley go??? :lol

ploto
07-29-2009, 08:11 PM
It's a grant...
I am so glad to hear that the grant money you are receiving from taxpayers for college is being used to buy a bed for you and your girlfriend.

timvp
07-29-2009, 08:14 PM
I am so glad to hear that the grant money you are receiving from taxpayers for college is being used to buy a bed for you and your girlfriend.

I don't think most people equipped with common sense would have a problem with a person buying a bed who doesn't have a bed. Especially a cheap bed.

Spursmania
07-29-2009, 08:16 PM
Try Billy Bob's. They always have sales. I bought 2 queen mattresses with the box springs for 699.00 each, but they were extremely nice and on major sale. So, I'm sure you can get a deal.

Leetonidas
07-29-2009, 08:21 PM

Seeing as how I already have tuition and books covered, I think I can spend my money on whatever the fuck I want, so shut the fuck up and stay out of my financial decisions kthx.

Ass. Why don't you try to share an air mattress with your significant other for months. :rolleyes

Spursmania
07-29-2009, 08:21 PM

The reason I need the bed is my girlfriend is living with me now and this air bed just sucks major ass for two people. It was mediocre at best for me, but with the two of us it's awful.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Sam's Club sounds like my best bet. $350 for a queen mattress and box spring is a really good deal. :tu But are they like, plush and soft? Or are they thin and springy? I want a decent mattress.

Before you buy go to Billy Bob's, you won't be disappointed. The store is cheesy but who cares, they have the best prices.

Leetonidas
07-29-2009, 08:23 PM
I don't think most people equipped with common sense would have a problem with a person buying a bed who doesn't have a bed. Especially a cheap bed.

This guy knows.

duncan228
07-29-2009, 08:42 PM
If you buy a mattress and box spring you usually can get the frame free. Sometimes delivery too. Be sure to ask.

ploto
07-30-2009, 12:13 AM
I think I can spend my money on whatever the fuck I want...

If it was YOUR money, I would have no opinion, but being as it comes from the tax payers and you have done NOTHING to earn it, then I do. The government should not be handing out grant money over and above the cost of school so that people can buy clothes and furniture on the tax payers dollar. I am happy the government helps needy people go to college but not to buy beds for their girlfriends.

I don't think most people equipped with common sense would have a problem with a person buying a bed who doesn't have a bed.

If he is paying for it fine, but he isn't. Are you advocating the government buying a mattress and box springs for everyone who does not have one?

mrsmaalox
07-30-2009, 01:02 AM
Financial aid--grants, scholarships, loans, work study--are calculated the same way for anyone who applies

Cost of attendance-expected familial contribution=financial need

Cost of Attendance (COA)College expenses vary greatly. Each college estimates the COA by adding together:
•Tuition and fees
•Room and board
•Transportation
•Books and supplies
•Miscellaneous living expenses

I understand the frustration with the abuse of taxpayer's money, but a bed really is a basic need. I think it would be included under misc. living expenses. And when the girlfriend is gone, he'll still have the bed ;)

TDMVPDPOY
07-30-2009, 04:15 AM
hey dude why dont you buy timvps bed since his crew is moving out...who knows there might be enough cushion for the pushin left.... :D:D u want flea beds? ftw yo

sabar
07-30-2009, 05:00 AM
I wanna know what kind of grants give almost $2000 extra. I could of been living the life with that kind of financial aid.

ploto
07-30-2009, 10:44 AM
I wanna know what kind of grants give almost $2000 extra. I could of been living the life with that kind of financial aid.

Thank you- that is what I was wondering. How does someone have $2000 left over in GRANT money to spend on whatever he wants after paying for school, tuition, fees, and books? It should not be for new clothes, i-Pods, cell phones... The fact that he admitted it is really because the GF moved in is the breaking point for me. Many a college student has slept on an old twin bed. He does not NEED a new queen sized bed for college.

I get annoyed because I have seen students not buy textbooks with their money and instead buy crap. I think that all grant money should be sent to the school and only to the school- it should go directly for tuition, books and supplies at the book store, and room and board on campus. If you want more than that, get a job to pay for your new furniture or whatever else. I know there was a time when they did not just cash your check and hand you the money to do with whatever you pleased. He should at least have to pay taxes on the money if he bought furniture with it.

bigzak25
07-30-2009, 10:53 AM
i passed by a billy bob's this morning on tezel! oooooh billy bob!

bigzak25
07-30-2009, 10:55 AM
with all the corruption in the government, and the billions being flushed down the toilet daily, i think i can live with the bed purchases of a few students.

ashbeeigh
07-30-2009, 10:59 AM
Thank you- that is what I was wondering. How does someone have $2000 left over in GRANT money to spend on whatever he wants after paying for school, tuition, fees, and books? It should not be for new clothes, i-Pods, cell phones... The fact that he admitted it is really because the GF moved in is the breaking point for me. Many a college student has slept on an old twin bed. He does not NEED a new queen sized bed for college.

I get annoyed because I have seen students not buy textbooks with their money and instead buy crap. I think that all grant money should be sent to the school and only to the school- it should go directly for tuition, books and supplies at the book store, and room and board on campus. If you want more than that, get a job to pay for your new furniture or whatever else. I know there was a time when they did not just cash your check and hand you the money to do with whatever you pleased. He should at least have to pay taxes on the money if he bought furniture with it.

I never had this extra type of cash when I went to school. I squeezed...and I squeezed hard with money. And was lucky enough not to have to work. I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, that the OP works as well. So, on top of FAFSA money he's also working. So, he could have saved some money and used that money to buy his books, etc. and had that $2,000 or whatever the money was.

There was a day at the school I went to that students loved more then the annual drunk fest called Spring Fling, it was Refund Day...it was the day when they would get a check back that included the financial aid that the school didn't need for tuition and fees...for those "miss" expenses. And I'll bet you $100 that most didn't spend it on school expenses...but nonetheless...there's some type of formula Expected Family Contribution that is calculated and sometimes it's super low...which means a student gets a ton of money.

Of course it's not fair in some instances...but we really shouldn't turn this thread into a "let's teach a college kid how to spend his money (like you do so many times)." He's obviously spending it on something he needs.

ashbeeigh
07-30-2009, 11:02 AM
If he is paying for it fine, but he isn't. Are you advocating the government buying a mattress and box springs for everyone who does not have one?

You know, I probably would be. If there was a way to fit it in to the budget and it would give people a home and a place to sleep I would be. Everyone deserves to be comfortable. But, that's just a personal & political belief. And...if we could find it in the budget. I'm no tax and spend democrat. :)

Summers
07-30-2009, 11:04 AM

Students are given grant money so they can afford to attend school. If he's paid tuition, fees, and books, what problem do you have with him using the money to buy something he needs? Should he burn the money and live off ramen because it's the proper thing to do? He doesn't have an old twin bed--he has an air mattress. He's not talking about buying a $2000 bed, and if he were, one might call that a sound long-term investment. Grants are given as incentives to keep certain majors in school and to help offset their expenses, which, in the real world, includes furniture.

Summers
07-30-2009, 11:08 AM

In all seriousness, I think he is.

ashbeeigh
07-30-2009, 11:09 AM
And who knows...those grants could be private grants from private sources. not all financial aid sources are government funded.

Cleveland Steamer
07-30-2009, 11:51 AM
god damn pluto! it;s not like he's buying a XBOX 3000 with the money. the kid needs to sleep at night and a pile of pizza boxes and comic books don't make such a good bed. get off his case.

Leetonidas
07-30-2009, 04:53 PM
If it was YOUR money, I would have no opinion, but being as it comes from the tax payers and you have done NOTHING to earn it, then I do. The government should not be handing out grant money over and above the cost of school so that people can buy clothes and furniture on the tax payers dollar. I am happy the government helps needy people go to college but not to buy beds for their girlfriends.

Okay first of all, it's a check with my name on it, therefore it's MY money, not anyone elses. If it was THE GOVERNMENTS money, then they can spend it on whatever CEO bailout bullshit they want. But it's not, it's MY MONEY. A check with MY NAME ON IT.

Apparently the school agrees with me too:

Your estimated cost of attendance is $ 16,242.00.

You have been awarded financial aid which totals $ 6,150.00

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b331/pwnjoo1/436346.png

See how it says MISCELLANEOUS? Yeah, that includes any other expenses for things that I need this school year. Like I told you already, I have my tuition and books covered already and have 2000 extra dollars to spend on what I please with. It's not like I said I'm gonna buy a fucking pound of weed and a new bong and a PS3. I'm buying a FUCKING BED that I need to sleep because I hardly get any sleep on this thing and it hurts my back.

So how can I succeed in school if I cannot even sleep properly and I'm always tired and lethargic all day with insufferable back pain?

Oh yeah, and go fuck yourself asshole. The bed ain't for my girlfriend, it's for me you sack of shit. She happens to live here too, so it's gonna benefit her that I get this bed, but ultimately its for me you stupid son of a bitch.

Now quit talking shit like you have any idea what you're speaking about because you don't. Stay out of this thread because you obviously don't know shit. Besides it's not like I tell you what to spend your welfare check on.

Leetonidas
07-30-2009, 04:56 PM
Students are given grant money so they can afford to attend school. If he's paid tuition, fees, and books, what problem do you have with him using the money to buy something he needs? Should he burn the money and live off ramen because it's the proper thing to do? He doesn't have an old twin bed--he has an air mattress. He's not talking about buying a $2000 bed, and if he were, one might call that a sound long-term investment. Grants are given as incentives to keep certain majors in school and to help offset their expenses, which, in the real world, includes furniture.

Thanks, it's nice to see most of you guys get it.

Maybe you people who are complaining about it should go write to your congressman about this billions of dollars wasted by our government instead of me spending 400 dollars on a fucking bed you inconsiderate pieces of shit.

Leetonidas
07-30-2009, 04:58 PM
And before anyone asks, I'm gonna to NVC right now to get my basics out of the way so I can transfer to UTSA or UT when I'm done and not have to pay as much. The reason I got so much for grant is because I live by myself off-campus and I bust my ass to hold down my apartment. So yeah, fuck off.

clambake
07-30-2009, 05:05 PM
yikes

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
07-30-2009, 05:17 PM
So much sugary goodness in this thread.

And I vote for the pound of weed, a new bong and the PS3.

Shelly
07-30-2009, 05:18 PM
I was renting a house in my hood before I bought my current one. Billy Bob was the renter after me, so I met him when he came to look at the house. He had cameras all over the place outside and from what my former neighbors told me, he was a pain in the ass. They were glad when he finally moved.

I've also heard that his mattresses were refurbished and that's why he's so cheap.

Read the reviews (http://www.insiderpages.com/b/3722247829) YMMV

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
07-30-2009, 05:19 PM
I'd rather sleep on hay before sleeping on a refurbished mattress.

Spursmania
07-30-2009, 05:29 PM
We had ours tailormade by some other company here in SA because our bed came from Europe and was an irregular American size. For my kids beds, I wanted quality at a very good price. I looked at Stower's, Lack's and Star's furniture. Then I went to Billy Bob's. I am a serious shopper and I compared the brands, the springs, etc...

I can tell you from personal experience, the two queen beds we bought at BB 2 years ago have worked out great and are under manufacturer warranty! As I said, it's a cheesy ambviance, but who the fuck cares if the mattress you're looking at is good quality and inexpensive?

Spursmania
07-30-2009, 05:31 PM
And before anyone asks, I'm gonna to NVC right now to get my basics out of the way so I can transfer to UTSA or UT when I'm done and not have to pay as much. The reason I got so much for grant is because I live by myself off-campus and I bust my ass to hold down my apartment. So yeah, fuck off.

How much is your rent? Are you getting a good deal? What's NVC?

Shelly
07-30-2009, 05:34 PM
How much is your rent? Are you getting a good deal? What's NVC?

northwest vista college

Spursmania
07-30-2009, 08:44 PM
northwest vista college

Got it:toast