PDA

View Full Version : Antidepressents

Gummi Clutch
07-28-2009, 08:09 PM
Anyone on any?

Please share your experience, it would really help me out.

Leetonidas
07-28-2009, 08:13 PM
I took Zoloft for awhile to help with my anxiety. It actually worked pretty good, even though I wasn't depressed. I didn't have any problems with it and it didn't get me high or anything. What kind of AD are you taking?

Gummi Clutch
07-28-2009, 08:15 PM
UI have panic disorder which i have masked pretty good for 20+ years and just got diagnosed.

Don't know what I'll be started on but i can't believe I have been living my life like this for so long.

i want to know about people on stuff like

paxil

effexor

lexapro

zoloft

xanax

etc..

Gummi Clutch
07-28-2009, 08:16 PM
Wait so you took it for a while and got off it?

Why?

If you have an anxiety problem wouldn't it just come back?

timvp
07-28-2009, 08:17 PM
Usually sacking up does the trick.

Leetonidas
07-28-2009, 08:20 PM
Wait so you took it for a while and got off it?

Why?

If you have an anxiety problem wouldn't it just come back?

I stopped taking it because I felt I didn't really need medication. Sometimes the anxiety is almost unbearable, but I'd rather try and deal with it on my own that become dependent on antidepressants.

Summers
07-28-2009, 08:29 PM
I have a friend who's manic and has been on almost every antidepressant on the market. It's really important for you to be very proactive adn vocal about what works for you. When you try a drug, you have to work with your doctor to adjust the dosage until you feel right.

balli
07-28-2009, 08:30 PM
I've dabbled in anti-depressants and all I'm going to say is I'd stay off that shit, it's the ultimate form of treating the symptom... and google 'brain shocks'.

I'd highly recommend you try some other steps first...

http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Mindfulness-Learning-Way-Awareness/dp/1577314417

http://www.amazon.com/Andrew-Weil-Audio-Collection-Healing/dp/1564559491

http://books.google.com/books?id=ky65Wac6VWgC&dq=weiss+beginning+mindfulness&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=0mFISTBR83&sig=LFFGPLri2T7YvZ7cmcDebSshsSE&hl=en&ei=zaNvSvO9GYmusgPP27HHCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1

As well as talk therapy. If you're going to take a drug, I'd suggest trying St. John's Wort (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/st-johns-wort/NS_patient-stjohnswort)

Frenzy
07-28-2009, 08:38 PM
does a dr suggest you take AD or a shrink?

David Bowie
07-28-2009, 08:46 PM
I've had severe chronic anxiety and OCD for a few years now.

I've tried a couple of antidepressants (celexa and zoloft), and both made me very manic. I tried Buspar, which made me manic as well for some reason. I learned that anything that increases seratonin was not for me.

The only drug that worked for me was seroquel. I was on it for only 3 months and had to quit because of side effects (twitching, though it's quite rare to have that side effect on that med.) It's an antipsychotic rather then an antidepressant. And it makes you quite calm. It definatly made me feel so much better while I was taking it. Even after I got off it, I feel better having taken the drug. Before taking hte drug, I felt anxious 24/7. After taking, I still don't feel great. But I have times that I feel quite normal, especially when I'm busy.

I've tried a few other drugs which just didn't work or had unbearable side effects since then.

I've also been on lorazepam for about two years now. (It's an anti-anxiety med in the benzo category.) I wish I had never taken it. I don't think that it relieves anxiety. However, I have been taking higher and higher doses over time, and I am finding it impossible to come off of.

Good luck,

Anxiety sucks

marini martini
07-28-2009, 09:58 PM
I started taking Prozac 10 years ago for mood swing/depression. Eight years ago I developed PTS, after my daughter's wreck. Prozac quit working about 5 years ago. I tried Effexor, Welbutrin, and some other AD's, to no avail. Am now on Cymbalta that adresses seratonin and physical symptoms. Also take 1 mg. of Atavan (lorazepam) for anti-anxiety when needed.

Panic attacks suck, especially when driving in and around San Antonio!!!:wow

Cry Havoc
07-28-2009, 10:02 PM
Any good psychiatrist worth his salt will not prescribe ADs for a catch-all cure. They are designed (when used and prescribed properly) to be an aid. I had my psychiatrist tell me one time, point-blank, that ADs weren't going to help me because of the situation that was in was causing my depression and until I figured out a way through that, it would probably stay with me.

He was right. ADs, any of them, are not going to help 99% of the time unless the person taking them works at their own life too. Depression forms from a myriad of reasons, but nearly always requires a solution that's not just taking a pill.

I second summer's advice. I was on several medications. Zoloft didn't help me. Paxil gave me the worst drymouth I've ever had in my life. Prozac was okay, but not that great. Trazodone actually helped with my depression because it relieved my insomnia that was associated, but again that's a temporary thing and it also caused me to sleep a lot more than I should, as I was susceptible to even trace amounts.

Talk to your doctor. Very openly and honestly. Some people can't be helped by ADs. Some only find one that works. But it's worth trying. The medication CAN be effective, as long as the person taking it is willing to not use it as a crutch to be happy.

PakiDan
07-28-2009, 10:35 PM
Lexapro. It works well. I used to have social anxiety.

mrsmaalox
07-28-2009, 10:54 PM
Hey Gummi, first of all I want to say that asking for opinions/experiences about this kind of matter on a board like this is okay but can be very hurtful because people tend to say rather unkind things. So please don't take any of it to heart and don't take advice from anyone here, over the advice of your physician :) I come from a family with a long history of severe depression: great grandmother, grandmother, 3 aunts, 5 cousins
and my mother. Lots medications, biofeedback, and electro-convulsive therapies over the decades. My own history was pretty benign until about 14 yrs ago. I always had the feeling something was "off", but I managed to not think much of it and function very "normally". Then I suffered a major blow following the death of one of my children and had a total breakdown. I know, I know I should have just sacked up, stupid me :rolleyes
I don't like taking medication but it works for me and I tend to relapse without it. Also I still have 3 kids who also have the same predisposition, and I believe I need to be open minded about therapies to be able to provide them with the best options for their own lives.

First of all I totally agree that although medication is good, you need to do concurrent biofeedback to explore yourself and educate yourself about what is going on with you. Whatever it is, it's much more complicated than just a pill.

Also you'll hear many say people say they don't like the feeling of being "dulled" or medicated. Anyone who feels that way is on the wrong medication. You need to tell your doctor and together you can find something that's good for you. When you are on the correct medication, you don't feel anything but normal---minus the depression or panic. I took Paxil for panic attacks for about a year, then weaned it off and did fine. The depression is well under control, but I do relapse if I stop my Zoloft and Wellbutrin; I've had a few trials with the guidance of my physician and decided for myself it was better to live the rest of my life taking 2 pills a day, than to waste a single day to "the darkness" :dramaquee

And as far as the St John's Wort goes, ask your doctor. It may be just what you need. Some tend to believe it is a safe alternative (safer than medication that is) because it is natural. Although it has been proven to be effective (sl. higher than placebo) for very mild forms of depression, it has also been known to have as many side effects as many of the prescription meds. In fact, in many countries it also requires a physician's prescription. It has a very high incidence of adverse interactions with other medications, so discuss it with your doctor if you decide to try it.

You'll get to hear many different opinions and experiences here, but ultimately what you decide should be on the advice of your physician. Good luck to you! :)

bigzak25
07-28-2009, 10:54 PM
i don't need to be anti-depressed, i need to be sedated. i pick valium.

i think prozak would send me into mania, but i'd love to try it if anyone has any pills for sale!

IronMexican
07-28-2009, 11:00 PM
Why do you need antidepressants? Does it have something to do with those pissy comments you sent me?

angelbelow
07-29-2009, 12:02 AM
My advice: Don't do it. Being a biochemistry major I am exposed to all the negative consequences.

marini martini
07-29-2009, 12:35 AM
My advice: Don't do it. Being a biochemistry major I am exposed to all the negative consequences.

Obla Di Obla Da, Life goes on Brah! Not all of us are biochemistry majors!!!

Slydragon
07-29-2009, 01:00 AM
Anyone on any?

Maybe these boards will be more helpful

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/healthAZ.php

phxspurfan
07-29-2009, 01:07 AM
Any good psychiatrist worth his salt will not prescribe ADs for a catch-all cure. They are designed (when used and prescribed properly) to be an aid. I had my psychiatrist tell me one time, point-blank, that ADs weren't going to help me because of the situation that was in was causing my depression and until I figured out a way through that, it would probably stay with me.

He was right. ADs, any of them, are not going to help 99% of the time unless the person taking them works at their own life too. Depression forms from a myriad of reasons, but nearly always requires a solution that's not just taking a pill.

I second summer's advice. I was on several medications. Zoloft didn't help me. Paxil gave me the worst drymouth I've ever had in my life. Prozac was okay, but not that great. Trazodone actually helped with my depression because it relieved my insomnia that was associated, but again that's a temporary thing and it also caused me to sleep a lot more than I should, as I was susceptible to even trace amounts.

Talk to your doctor. Very openly and honestly. Some people can't be helped by ADs. Some only find one that works. But it's worth trying. The medication CAN be effective, as long as the person taking it is willing to not use it as a crutch to be happy.

+1

If you're depressed, you're suffering due to letting some external triggering event get you down. Most likely it's something you can't control like bad traffic, etc. If you get anxiety it can be from a traumatic event that therapy can help with. Something like this usually takes a bit of reprogramming to get out of your system so when the stimulus comes again you don't react in a negative way.

sook
07-29-2009, 01:17 AM
dont do it

Gummi Clutch
07-29-2009, 01:24 AM
You guys seem to be misinformed. Being anxious and having panic attacks is a norm for me.

My face muscles tighten up, i get palpitations, sweaty, extreme sensitivity to light and sound, its a nightmare.

I have been taking Kava Kava just to get through my days, but i need something stronger.

I know how bad it is, believe me

I don't need this due to a sudden traumatic event or something, its just how i am

Cry Havoc
07-29-2009, 01:46 AM
You guys seem to be misinformed. Being anxious and having panic attacks is a norm for me.

My face muscles tighten up, i get palpitations, sweaty, extreme sensitivity to light and sound, its a nightmare.

I have been taking Kava Kava just to get through my days, but i need something stronger.

I know how bad it is, believe me

I don't need this due to a sudden traumatic event or something, its just how i am

Don't listen to people here. There is a lot of bad advice and misconceptions being given here (Bachelor's of Science in Psychology talking, so I have at least some education to back up what I'm saying) Talk to your doctor and be honest with him. That's your best bet.

Wild Cobra
07-29-2009, 02:01 AM
Anyone on any?

I've known a few people who have used them. Avoid them at all costs. They are a last resort if nothing else works.

Cry Havoc
07-29-2009, 02:03 AM
I've known a few people who have used them. Avoid them at all costs. They are a last resort if nothing else works.

Wow.

You really are a fucking idiot. I don't normally call names over the internet, but I draw the line when someone decides to abandon any kind of knowledge in favor of, "Well my FRIENDS didn't like it, so that must be the truth of the matter!"

Stop spreading your obtuse, insanely incorrect lies.

Could you continue to reply to this thread? Just so everyone can see what a dipshit you are?

Mark in Austin
07-29-2009, 02:12 AM
http://www.amenclinic.com

This clinic does a SPECT imaging of your brain - basically a 3d model of brain activity that can be compared to "normal" brain activity. Different medications help / effect different parts of the brain; so what this does is eliminate some of the guesswork in which medicine to try (if medication is recommended) by identifying which parts of the brain need help.

For years doctors were making a "best guess" on which brain medicine to perscribe. Using this tool they now have a much more scientific diagnostic process.

There's a cool image gallery on the website of how different brain disorders (ADD, Depression, Bipolar, ADHD, etc.) actually effects brain activity.

Here's a brief quote from their website:
"What is SPECT? It is an acronym for Single Photon Emission Computerized Tomography. SPECT is a sophisticated nuclear medicine study that looks directly at cerebral blood flow and indirectly at brain activity (or metabolism). In this study, a radioactive isotope (which, as we will see, is akin to a myriad of beacons of energy or light) is bound to a substance that is readily taken up by the cells in the brain.

A small amount of this compound is injected into the patient’s vein where it runs throughout the blood stream and is taken up by certain receptor sites in the brain. The patient then lies on a table for 14-16 minutes while a SPECT "gamma" camera rotates slowly around his head. The camera has special crystals that detect where the compound (signaled by the radioisotope acting like a beacon of light) has gone. A supercomputer then reconstructs 3-D images of brain activity levels. The elegant brain snapshots that result offer a sophisticated blood flow/ metabolism brain map. With these maps, physicians have been able to identify certain patterns of brain activity that correlate with psychiatric and neurological illnesses."

PuttPutt
07-29-2009, 02:13 AM
I was officially diagnosed 5 years ago with bipolar type 1 (manic depressive) I had some crazy mood swings & on occasion still do. My 1st doctor in SA gave me prozac for the depression. I was crazy happy when I was on them. Killed the depression, but it was like I was always up. I had to take Ambien to bring me down at night. My second doctor in WA switched me to Lamictal & Geodon. The lamictal didn't seem to do much at first, but it really did. The Geodon is an anti-psychotic, & I didn't like that. You're not supposed to drink with it & it fucks you up bad if you do. I didn't know what planet I was on. Anyways, I'm off all meds right now. I have had a few episodes, but I really think the Lamictal helped. It takes a little time to get going on it. You start out on a low dose & work your way up. Then you do the opposite to get off it. Make sure you have a therapist to talk too it really helped me. Good luck with getting your depression under control. It's tough, but it just takes time. Other thing I can say is that meds aren't always the answer. They just worked for me.

Cry Havoc
07-29-2009, 02:17 AM
I was officially diagnosed 5 years ago with bipolar type 1 (manic depressive) I had some crazy mood swings & on occasion still do. My 1st doctor in SA gave me prozac for the depression. I was crazy happy when I was on them. Killed the depression, but it was like I was always up. I had to take Ambien to bring me down at night. My second doctor in WA switched me to Lamictal & Geodon. The lamictal didn't seem to do much at first, but it really did. The Geodon is an anti-psychotic, & I didn't like that. You're not supposed to drink with it & it fucks you up bad if you do. I didn't know what planet I was on. Anyways, I'm off all meds right now. I have had a few episodes, but I really think the Lamictal helped. It takes a little time to get going on it. You start out on a low dose & work your way up. Then you do the opposite to get off it. Make sure you have a therapist to talk too it really helped me. Good luck with getting your depression under control. It's tough, but it just takes time. Other thing I can say is that meds aren't always the answer. They just worked for me.

Don't listen to this guy. Wild Cobra's friends know more than doctors. Listen to him instead. :nope

PuttPutt
07-29-2009, 02:23 AM
Don't listen to this guy. Wild Cobra's friends know more than doctors. Listen to him instead. :nope

Why? Because I tell the guy meds worked for me & that they are not for everyone. And to talk to a therapist.

WC just said to aviod them at all costs.

But some people do need them.

Cry Havoc
07-29-2009, 02:26 AM
Why? Because I tell the guy meds worked for me & that they are not for everyone. And to talk to a therapist.

http://www.mattresspolice.com/images/sarcasm.jpg

:toast

PuttPutt
07-29-2009, 02:29 AM
Sorry, I misinterpreted your sarcasm. It doesn't always come across that way on the computer. Plus I'm stressed out & it's not helping.

Cry Havoc
07-29-2009, 02:42 AM
Sorry, I misinterpreted your sarcasm. It doesn't always come across that way on the computer. Plus I'm stressed out & it's not helping.

Sorry to hear that. I was hoping for a laugh. =\

PuttPutt
07-29-2009, 03:03 AM

I laughed at the pic. And how clueless I can be at times.

Darrin
07-29-2009, 08:23 AM
Anyone on any?

I've been on anti-depressants, without interruption, since October of 2008. I was forced to be on them by Kevin's Law, a law in Michigan that mandates out-patient care, after I was off my medication for 5 consecutive months. Outside those five months, I have been on some form of anti-depressant (Wellbutrin or Zoloft) since August of 2007. I've been off Kevin's Law since May and have continued to take a dose of Prozac and a small dose of Abilify every morning to help treat my depression. All is well on my current dosage, which is a bit mild for my size.

I've been suicidal and at times psychotic while treating it since 2007. In my case the Zoloft never stopped the suicidal ideations. Wellbutrin was effective, but it had side-effects despite its claim as one of the milder anti-depressants. I experienced fatigue and light-headedness on the combination of Invega (for voices) and Wellbutrin.

I don't have co-occuring disorders like depression and drug addiction. I have been officially diagnosed as Bipolar despite my assertions to the contrary. But the doctors know more than me and that's the attitude I take.

Summers
07-29-2009, 10:28 AM

I laughed.

mrsmaalox
07-29-2009, 10:30 AM
Obla Di Obla Da, Life goes on Brah! Not all of us are biochemistry majors!!!

But didn't you sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night?? :D

ploto
07-29-2009, 10:40 AM
I actually understand both sides of what is expressed here. Some people have need of medication but we also know that AD are over-prescribed. Just inform yourself and be honest with both yourself and your physician. Know that there won't be a quick fix. No one here lives your life except you, and no one else knows with what you have been dealing. You do not have to explain yourself to anyone. Good luck.

mrsmaalox
07-29-2009, 10:40 AM
+1

If you're depressed, you're suffering due to letting some external triggering event get you down. Most likely it's something you can't control like bad traffic, etc. If you get anxiety it can be from a traumatic event that therapy can help with. Something like this usually takes a bit of reprogramming to get out of your system so when the stimulus comes again you don't react in a negative way.

Not all depression is a manifestation of a post traumatic disorder. In most cases of PTSD, the trauma is simply the trigger for an underlying depressive disorder. There are many. Dealing with the trigger only doesn't solve the problem of a chronic misfire.

ashbeeigh
07-29-2009, 10:41 AM
I have family on ADs and they've been successful and unsuccessful on several.

Both were on Cymbalta for a bit. One went off it just because it numbed her to no end...like she couldn't cry....at all. And for a woman...at any age...crying is a good thing. Even at movies she couldn't cry.

So, she talked to the doctor and switched over to Welbutrin and that stuff gives her some pretty messed up side effects too...like she sweats and gets hot when it's freezing. I'm pretty sure I live in my sweater at home now. But, she's not depressed anyomr.e So that's good...right?

I've heard great things about Lamcital and Tegretol and all the other antiepiletic medications that can be used as antidepressants as well.

I don't condone drugging someone up to the point where they cannot move, but like maalox said...doing biofeedback and mind body spirit (psychonueroimmunology) type of stuff is a good idea too. It's surprisingly effective after you train yourself.

Slydragon
07-29-2009, 11:25 AM
That's it no more GtG for me. Spurs games have highs and lows so I don't wanna be present when someone can't handle the lows.*

Yes it was a joke. Since in this thread it has to be made clear

Supergirl
07-29-2009, 11:34 AM
I appreciate people being so candid about their personal experiences.

I think both these things are true: Psychiatric medications are overprescribed, and psychiatric medications save lives. The key is to be talking (with the doc, with a therapist, with other people) about what helps, doesn't help, what alternatives there are)

For many mild to moderate cases of depression and anxiety it is absolutely worth trying just therapy (individual and group), St John's wort, as well as Chinese medicine (herbs, acupuncture, etc) - they have all shown to be effective at times.

However, for more severe depression and anxiety, as well as for Bipolar Disorder and Schizophrenia, there is a clear biochemical deficiency which can be lethal if not treated with psychiatric medication. As in, not taking medication can lead to someone taking their own life, or doing something so reckless or dangerous that they get themselves killed.

Leetonidas
07-29-2009, 11:39 AM
Well if you have bad anxiety and panic attacks, then you probably need to be taking Xanax. It will definitely do the trick.

mrsmaalox
07-29-2009, 11:47 AM
http://www.amenclinic.com

This clinic does a SPECT imaging of your brain - basically a 3d model of brain activity that can be compared to "normal" brain activity. Different medications help / effect different parts of the brain; so what this does is eliminate some of the guesswork in which medicine to try (if medication is recommended) by identifying which parts of the brain need help.

For years doctors were making a "best guess" on which brain medicine to perscribe. Using this tool they now have a much more scientific diagnostic process.

There's a cool image gallery on the website of how different brain disorders (ADD, Depression, Bipolar, ADHD, etc.) actually effects brain activity.

Here's a brief quote from their website:
"What is SPECT? It is an acronym for Single Photon Emission Computerized Tomography. SPECT is a sophisticated nuclear medicine study that looks directly at cerebral blood flow and indirectly at brain activity (or metabolism). In this study, a radioactive isotope (which, as we will see, is akin to a myriad of beacons of energy or light) is bound to a substance that is readily taken up by the cells in the brain.

A small amount of this compound is injected into the patient’s vein where it runs throughout the blood stream and is taken up by certain receptor sites in the brain. The patient then lies on a table for 14-16 minutes while a SPECT "gamma" camera rotates slowly around his head. The camera has special crystals that detect where the compound (signaled by the radioisotope acting like a beacon of light) has gone. A supercomputer then reconstructs 3-D images of brain activity levels. The elegant brain snapshots that result offer a sophisticated blood flow/ metabolism brain map. With these maps, physicians have been able to identify certain patterns of brain activity that correlate with psychiatric and neurological illnesses."

Thanks M-I-A, I love this kind of stuff :toast I'm a nurse (and a total biomed science geek) and I wish everyone could experience this technology firsthand, because it would do so much to halt the utter ignorance and judgemental misinformation that prevails in the public about psychiatry and neuropsychology. A few years ago I helped a psychiatrist friend of mine (basically I just documented health histories) in a study using PET scans to examine links between specific psychological processes/disorders and brain activity. Depression was not included. And as valuable of a tool as it was, I felt bad because the enormous cost (a PET scan must be used in conjunction with a CAT scan or MRI--all very pricey) it meant not too many patients would benefit. But these SPECT scans just open the door to a whole other population to recieve the care they deserve.

David Bowie
07-29-2009, 12:09 PM
I actually understand both sides of what is expressed here. Some people have need of medication but we also know that AD are over-prescribed. Just inform yourself and be honest with both yourself and your physician. Know that there won't be a quick fix. No one here lives your life except you, and no one else knows with what you have been dealing. You do not have to explain yourself to anyone. Good luck.

I have been desperatly searching for the right med for a couple of years now. Because I have been feeling anxious everyday for the last few years. I have tried many meds, but haven't found the "right one" yet.

I have also tried therapy for a year (I never liked any of the therapists I saw, except for one in college, when I wasn't doing too bad.) I have tried excersising every day and meditation, talking things out etc.

I also find that you have to be very vigilant with the meds that psychoitrists prescribe.

My Psych prescribed me 600 mg of Trazadone (it was the first time I was trying Trazadone.) He said that Trazadone was a benign med and I should worry about it.

I looked it up online. And saw that you should never take more then 400 ml of Trazadone unless you are living in a hospital setting.

I took 150 ml, thinking that dose would be ok. (I just stopped taking seroquel , so that was still in my system as well.) After taking the pills, I honestly thought I would die. I was pale as a sheet. My pupils were dilated to almost the size of my eyes, I had a migrane and an allergy attack, I was very cold, my blood pressure was very low, and I couldnt stop shaking, and in all I felt just horrible.

I should have gone to the hospital, but I didn't because I didn't have health insurance at the time. But that was a really stupid reason I now realize. When I called my doc to tell him about it, he told me he couldn't really talk to me on the phone because it wasn't the way he did business.

Anyway, just do some research before you pop the pill, that's all I want to say.

Darrin
07-29-2009, 12:24 PM
I have been desperatly searching for the right med for a couple of years now. Because I have been feeling anxious everyday for the last few years. I have tried many meds, but haven't found the "right one" yet.

I have also tried therapy for a year (I never liked any of the therapists I saw, except for one in college, when I wasn't doing too bad.) I have tried excersising every day and meditation, talking things out etc.

Don't make my mistake. Despite your need to stay independant and your troubles with psychologists, it is important not to leave your symptoms untreated. I left my depression unchecked and it led to three hospitalizations and a lifetime of psychological trauma. It's better to stay on a plan and tinker with it, fight with your psychologist if you have to, but stay under care until your symptoms subside. Remember what it was like without the symptoms and try and get as close to that life as possible.

That's what I have learned through years of untreated care.

My Psych prescribed me 600 mg of Trazadone (it was the first time I was trying Trazadone.) He said that Trazadone was a benign med and I should worry about it.

I looked it up online. And saw that you should never take more then 400 ml of Trazadone unless you are living in a hospital setting.

I was reading this online and had to log in. Take his medical license. I am 6-4, 350 lbs and have never, EVER been on more than 150 mg of this stuff (and that was in the hospital!). My doctor prescribed it for me to bring me down at night. HE COULD'VE KILLED YOU!!! WHY DOESN'T HE JUST SUGGEST YOU DOWN IT WITH A BOTTLE OF VODKA!!!

I took 150 ml, thinking that dose would be ok. (I just stopped taking seroquel , so that was still in my system as well.) After taking the pills, I honestly thought I would die. I was pale as a sheet. My pupils were dilated to almost the size of my eyes, I had a migrane and an allergy attack, I was very cold, my blood pressure was very low, and I couldnt stop shaking, and in all I felt just horrible.

How did you keep from sleeping? At 150, I would sleep for 8-10 hours. My heart would race before my head would get all fuzzy, and I'd sleep like a baby. It was like being on street drugs. Mild, my ass. It's a mild anti-depressant, but it isn't mild in terms of side-effects.

Cry Havoc
07-29-2009, 12:25 PM

I also find that you have to be very vigilant with the meds that psychoitrists prescribe.

I should have gone to the hospital, but I didn't because I didn't have health insurance at the time. But that was a really stupid reason I now realize. When I called my doc to tell him about it, he told me he couldn't really talk to me on the phone because it wasn't the way he did business.

Anyway, just do some research before you pop the pill, that's all I want to say.

Trazodone is a relatively potent sleeping aid. I'm in relative disbelief that he -- or any psych/med student -- would state that it's a benign med. It's the complete opposite of that. I think I took 15 mg for my first dose and promptly slept for 12 hours.

David Bowie
07-29-2009, 12:50 PM
[QUOTE=

How did you keep from sleeping? At 150, I would sleep for 8-10 hours. My heart would race before my head would get all fuzzy, and I'd sleep like a baby. It was like being on street drugs. Mild, my ass. It's a mild anti-depressant, but it isn't mild in terms of side-effects.[/QUOTE]

I probably didn't go to sleep becuase I've been taking a high amount of benzos for a few years. I was also addicted to sleeping pills for a few months (it was the best thing to control my symptoms, and I felt I couldn't work without them.) I could function pretty normally on 50 ml of ambien a day , some benzos and a few over the counter sleep aids. Thank God I don't do that anymore.

Even the pharmacist was surprised when she saw the 600 ml/day. But she still gave it to me without saying anything. And my phycisian backed him saying that I "probably needed it." . I have a very hard time trusting psychologists in general right now. The one I'm seeing right now is not better to be honest.

boutons_deux
07-29-2009, 01:10 PM
Get sufficient sleep at regular/same hours, 7-8 hrs

Don't drink alcohol before bed

No caffeine after midday.

Sleep in complete darkness.

Stay from the high GI carbs that jerk your glucose up and down.

Get daily exercise, at least 30 minutes walking, as much more as you can manage.

Don't take anti-depressants. Mostly a $cam with lots of placebo effect.

sook
07-29-2009, 01:19 PM
Well if you have bad anxiety and panic attacks, then you probably need to be taking Xanax. It will definitely do the trick.
xanax puts you in a new realm. can't describe it but the withdrawals would certianly kill or badly harm the guy if his anxiety is that bad, its a short term drug

Cry Havoc
07-29-2009, 01:23 PM
Get sufficient sleep at regular/same hours, 7-8 hrs

Don't drink alcohol before bed

No caffeine after midday.

Sleep in complete darkness.

Stay from the high GI carbs that jerk your glucose up and down.

All good advice.

Get daily exercise, at least 30 minutes walking, as much more as you can manage.

You need to have your heart rate increase. Just walking won't increase your aerobic threshold unless you're really out of shape.

Don't take anti-depressants. Mostly a $cam with lots of placebo effect.

This is where you are totally out of your depth.

Wild Cobra
07-29-2009, 02:12 PM

That's right. My intent is to stress they are a means of last resort. The side effects are generally severe enough to impair your life in other ways.

boutons_deux
07-29-2009, 02:17 PM
Only about 2% of "depressed" people are so bad that they need/benefit chemicals.

The other 98% have fucked themselves up with bad food, bad living, bad sleeping.

Wild Cobra
07-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Only about 2% of "depressed" people are so bad that they need/benefit chemicals.

The other 98% have fucked themselves up with bad food, bad living, bad sleeping.
One of the few things I'll agree with you at face value.

Cry Havoc
07-29-2009, 02:29 PM

Only .5% of what boutons_deux says is not gay.

See, I can play with statistics with no factual basis as well.

Cry Havoc

David Bowie

I used to think that before my mental state became really bad. I think it's possible to live without meds with a mild/moderate form of mental illness. However, if your problems are severe, it's hard to live without. At the same time, it's hard to imagine severe forms of mental illness unless you have exepriened them first-hand. Also, there are other forms of mental illness besides depression, which are even harder for people to identify with unless they have experienced the symptoms themselves.

I haven't had much success with medication. But I have friends who are totally normal on medication and are suicidal without it. So, it works for a lot of people who truely need it.

timvp
07-29-2009, 03:42 PM
Usually sacking up does the trick.

For the record, for whoever PMed me, that was my response because the guy is an obvious troll. Example 1 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127879) and Example 2 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130633) for proof.

sook
07-29-2009, 03:56 PM
lol

Gummi Clutch
07-29-2009, 03:59 PM
For the record, for whoever PMed me, that was my response because the guy is an obvious troll. Example 1 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127879) and Example 2 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130633) for proof.
wtf?

Ok i admit that i was just joking aroud with those, but why the hell would you think I was messing aroud when something so serious affects my life, everyday so adversly.

For the record, I honest to god started this thread for the sole reason of knowing how others felt. I know they can greatly help you but at the same time they can cause an addiction.

One thing is for certain, i need help.

I want to thank Cry Havoc and others that have really given me an insight about all this, i think i have made my decision, i will ask my psychiatrist to prescribe me the drugs and you can lock or delete this

David Bowie
07-29-2009, 05:54 PM
^ Stay away from the benzos such as xanax, imo. They stop working after a short period of time (generally) and you constantly have to up the dosage to feel the same effect. And the are extremly addictive, and don't do that much for your anxiety in my experience. And they are hell to get off from.

sook
07-31-2009, 04:08 PM
Yea i had a friend addicted to xanax

Dr. Gonzo
07-31-2009, 04:10 PM
Pussy is the best antidepressent.

SonOfAGun
07-31-2009, 04:40 PM

The other 98% have fucked themselves up with bad food, bad living, bad sleeping. I agree with this 100%.

Figure out what is making you depressed and attack it.

If you get low enough, you will hit a point where you either make changes (hard work) or kill yourself. If you can't summon up the nerve to kill yourself, you will have to start helping your situation.

Drugs are the easy way out. Easy way outs don't exist.

Obviously doesn't apply to those with actual bi-polar, etc disorders.

Gummi Clutch
07-31-2009, 05:01 PM
Anyone that says ^ is fucking stupid.

I have been this way since I was 13, never took anything for it before and some things help.

Just started taking paxil today half tablet (10mg), will move to a full tablet in 4 days.

Will keep updated

sabar
07-31-2009, 05:03 PM

Bingo. How many people have actually been anxious their whole life? Very few. People go through childhood and most of young adulthood with no problems. Then things like work, funerals, bills, drinking coffee every day and so on occur and anxiety builds.

You need to think rationally about what is wrong before drugging yourself up. I can't believe this many people on ST are all drugged up personally. Apparently being medicated is as common as being myopic. There are no doubt people who do have mental illness, but make sure that that is the problem before you get dependent on prescription meds. A lot of the time what boutons said is true. Get good sleep, eat right, and well, stop worrying so much. Relax a bit and evaluate what causes this all in the first place.

I don't see what was wrong with WC saying drugs are a last resort. They are. You don't go around and spend $300 on chemicals to ingest unless you need them. That stuff affects your mind and gets in your blood stream. The liver has to work to remove it. So you better damn well need it.

Another thing is to ask a doctor and not a bunch of strangers.

Southwest Texas Fan
08-01-2009, 10:03 AM
Anyone on any?

Gummi I suffer from anxiety and on occasion get depressed. I was on Lexapro for about three months and always felt detached so I stop taking it. I also have issues with phobias and sometimes panic attacks can set in. I hate to take medications so I go to a shrink instead. Psycho-therapy is the best medicine, no pun intended. As someone stated earlier depression, anxiety etc are caused by a sum of issues that have to be explored by a trained professional and though medications can be used a good therapist should/will never use them as a permanent solution. There is a book that my counselor recommended and though I have not purchased it the book gets great reviews and she swears by it. The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook, Fourth Edition (Paperback) Edmund J. Bourne. You know I have been so impressed with profession of psychology that I will me going back to school to work on my masters in counseling. This is coming from someone who earned a BBA in International Business. Someday I hope to have my own practice. I guess that is my way of dealing with this issue as well. Good Luck.

desflood
08-01-2009, 03:04 PM

I thought this way as well - when I was a small child. I developed depression and social anxiety disorder at age 11 and they went undiagnosed and untreated until I was 20, when I actually had a breakdown. I still won't take meds, probably to my own detriment. The side effects are horrible.

Try not to assume that it hasn't happened to you because you're living a "clean", blameless lifestyle and the rest of us are not. It reeks of undeserved conceit.

boutons_deux
08-01-2009, 03:54 PM
Don't take it personally.

"Studies have shown" that placebos work as well as expensive happy pills for nearly everybody.

Gummi Clutch
08-01-2009, 05:48 PM
Yesterday was my first day on half a tablet of paxil. I was really unstable emotionally and some one put me over the edge and I had a nervous breakdown. The person that I was with thought I was just making a show and acting but then I broke some things and changed my mood from yelling back to just laughing histerically and breaking down and crying in a corner. I don't remember ever feeling so low and the "Person" was extremely sorry afterwards and has been calling non stop to wonder If I'm feeling ok.

This morning was another half tablet and I litterally went through hell. I can't describe it but I felt like a complete zombie for about 2 hrs, just extremely agitated and felt really really violent.

I vowed to myself I was going to throw the paxil out the fucking window because it made me feel so fucked up on jsut a little.

Then 2 hrs later I started to feel better to the point that I feel more normal than I have in 6 years.

My vision is clearer, I am seeing like in HD, i can't explain it, it just feels like I'm actually a part of the world.

I don't know if it is supposed to make you feel that shitty initially, but I'm going to stay on it for about another week as a trial period.

Hopefully I will be better

Gummi Clutch
08-01-2009, 05:49 PM
I had no idea the world around me was so clear. Everything seemed so dull , and I couldn't bear the sunlight, which is why I wouldn't go outdoors, the light sensitivity has decreased and I didn't feel disfigured out in the sun like a vampire

I hope that my body is just adjusting and that it will get better

Gummi Clutch
08-01-2009, 05:55 PM
Gummi I suffer from anxiety and on occasion get depressed. I was on Lexapro for about three months and always felt detached so I stop taking it. I also have issues with phobias and sometimes panic attacks can set in. I hate to take medications so I go to a shrink instead. Psycho-therapy is the best medicine, no pun intended. As someone stated earlier depression, anxiety etc are caused by a sum of issues that have to be explored by a trained professional and though medications can be used a good therapist should/will never use them as a permanent solution. There is a book that my counselor recommended and though I have not purchased it the book gets great reviews and she swears by it. The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook, Fourth Edition (Paperback) Edmund J. Bourne. You know I have been so impressed with profession of psychology that I will me going back to school to work on my masters in counseling. This is coming from someone who earned a BBA in International Business. Someday I hope to have my own practice. I guess that is my way of dealing with this issue as well. Good Luck.
You don't understand how it is for me, if i was just scared and anxious it would be ok.

But when I'm anxious, my skin starts to sag, my face looks disfigured and feels MORE disfigured, I get bad dermatitis (on occasion), EXTREME sensitivity to light

so the symptoms are too physical, its not something I can talk over, it ACTUALLY do have a bad chemical imbalance

boutons_deux
08-01-2009, 06:44 PM
"my skin starts to sag, my face looks disfigured and feels MORE disfigured, I get bad dermatitis (on occasion), EXTREME sensitivity to light"

It's very tought disease to diagnose, but that sounds like it could be lupus, which can have psychiatric effects.

sook
08-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Lupus is autoimmune i believe? Isn't that life threatning?

sook
08-01-2009, 07:21 PM
nvm googled it..

Gummi Clutch
08-01-2009, 07:23 PM
had a CMP done, my blood count was....absolutely normal. Nothing out of the extraordinary, my Kidney function BUN/Creatinine was normal, liver enzymes, electrolytes, heart function was good.

And its not relaly my skin thats sensitive to the light, its my eyes.

David Bowie
08-01-2009, 08:20 PM
Have you checked your endacrine gland? Sometimes that can put everything out of whak and cause anxiety.

Gummi Clutch
08-01-2009, 08:26 PM
Have you checked your endacrine gland? Sometimes that can put everything out of whak and cause anxiety.
You mean thyroid?

My TSH was high by a hairline, and my t4 or t3 were normal so hyper thyroidism was dismissed

David Bowie
08-01-2009, 08:41 PM
^ Yah, thats what I meant.

mrsmaalox
08-02-2009, 12:11 AM
Bingo. How many people have actually been anxious their whole life? Very few. People go through childhood and most of young adulthood with no problems. Then things like work, funerals, bills, drinking coffee every day and so on occur and anxiety builds.

You need to think rationally about what is wrong before drugging yourself up. I can't believe this many people on ST are all drugged up personally. Apparently being medicated is as common as being myopic. There are no doubt people who do have mental illness, but make sure that that is the problem before you get dependent on prescription meds. A lot of the time what boutons said is true. Get good sleep, eat right, and well, stop worrying so much. Relax a bit and evaluate what causes this all in the first place.

I don't see what was wrong with WC saying drugs are a last resort. They are. You don't go around and spend $300 on chemicals to ingest unless you need them. That stuff affects your mind and gets in your blood stream. The liver has to work to remove it. So you better damn well need it.

Another thing is to ask a doctor and not a bunch of strangers.

Eh I don't know about that. ST has roughly 17,000 members and so far about a dozen have come out as being drugged up. That's pretty good I think, especially in comparison to the admitted myopics there may be here. And clearly they are only outnumbered by the ignorant, judgemental pricks :lol

marini martini
08-02-2009, 12:48 AM
Eh I don't know about that. ST has roughly 17,000 members and so far about a dozen have come out as being drugged up. That's pretty good I think, especially in comparison to the admitted myopics there may be here. And clearly they are only outnumbered by the ignorant, judgemental pricks :lol

I knew I loved you for a reason!!! LMAO!!!:lmao

:toast

Jules
08-02-2009, 02:13 AM
I used Celexa a few years back to aid in coping with the loss of a loved one. It seemed to "regualte" my mood and I stopped using it after a month or so. I didn't have any side effects or complications.

Trainwreck2100
08-02-2009, 02:24 AM

Hi my name's trainwreck

"hi trainwreck"

Well i'd like to first start off by saying that i'm an arrogant judgemental prick and but i haven't been judgemental in sixth months

until now

shit happens, deal with it crackheads

Jacob1983
08-02-2009, 02:42 AM
I would suggest only taking antidepressants if it's absolutely necessary. Antidepressants have a lot of bad side effects like weight gain and withdrawal. And they can also make your condition worse or not even help your condition or illness. I took paxil for a couple of years to help me deal with anxiety and some other issues. It didn't help me at all. And the withdrawal was a beating.

Trainwreck2100
08-02-2009, 02:48 AM
i would totally get narcs and then sell them to crackheads though, you know if it wasn't illegal.

Trainwreck2100
08-02-2009, 02:49 AM
true story i seen a 60 year old in a tie dye shirt get arrested cause she was picking up her moms narcs and her mom was dead.

timvp
08-02-2009, 03:01 AM
Only a narc wouldn't know what narcs are.

Party GirL 72
08-02-2009, 10:17 PM
get a blowjob.. =) if ur feelin down i bet it can elevate ur mOOd