PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Hornets, Diogu close to deal

montgod
07-29-2009, 12:27 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4363982

Sources: Hornets, Diogu close to deal
By Marc Stein

The New Orleans Hornets, after swapping Tyson Chandler for Emeka Okafor, are poised to add further to their frontcourt by signing free-agent forward Ike Diogu.

NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com that the Hornets and Diogu are close to finalizing a deal, with a formal announcement expected later Wednesday or Thursday.

Terms of the contract were not immediately available, but Diogu is regarded as a low-cost option who has yet to reach his full potential after playing sparingly in the past two seasons.

Diogu, 25, appeared in only 29 games last season for the Portland Trail Blazers and Sacramento Kings but did enjoy a few productive spells with the Kings are arriving in February via trade, averaging 9.2 points and 3.9 rebounds in just 14.2 minutes in 10 games.

Marc Stein is a senior NBA writer for ESPN.com.

DPG21920
07-29-2009, 12:29 PM
Could be a very solid offensive big man signing for them. Lets see if he can live up to the flashes of potential he has shown.

Peja On A Stick
07-29-2009, 12:39 PM
Look for Hilton Armstrong to be dumped to Memphis as Hornets next move.

lil_penny
07-29-2009, 12:48 PM
Ike!!!

loveforthegame
07-29-2009, 12:59 PM
It's a solid move for the Hornets. He showed his potential when healthy at the end of last year with the Kings.

If the Spurs hadn't gotten other players I would like to have seen him with us.

Hornets1
07-29-2009, 01:03 PM
Good, solid pickup. We have boosted our frontcourt a good bit in the last few days.

rjv
07-29-2009, 01:05 PM
a low risk since they will not be spending that much on him.

anonoftheinternets
07-29-2009, 03:09 PM
good pick up .. need to get rid of armstrong tho ...

bostonguy
07-29-2009, 03:15 PM
Nice pickup. They are 1-2 trades away from being in the thick of things in the west. They need another slashing guard. Even if they have to trade Daniels, they can just sign anyone to be the backup for short term and be ok. They have 10 million in expirings to make another move happen plus around Feb Pejas/Petersons combined 20 million contracts become attractive as they expire in 2011.

The question is, will Coach Scott play Julian Wright more?

La Peace
07-29-2009, 03:16 PM
Damnit I like Ike.

Mr Bones
07-29-2009, 03:37 PM
The Hornets have quietly crept up in the last week and made some nice moves. The one problem I see though is that West, Okafor, and Diogu are still a relatively undersized front line. Chandler actually played Duncan pretty well and could bother him with his size, and although Okafor is a good defender, I still think the Spurs and other elite teams will be match up problems for New Orleans.

La Peace
07-29-2009, 03:42 PM
This makes the hornets formidable opponents.

I'd say they are a talented swingman away from being a true threat.

Morg1411
07-29-2009, 03:52 PM
This makes the hornets formidable opponents.

+1

Nice to see them making some moves to stay in the race.

Bob Lanier
07-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Diogu has been underrated for years. I'm still not sure why Golden State gave up on him.

JamStone
07-29-2009, 04:04 PM
It's not like the Warriors are the only team that moved on from Diogu. That makes four teams in four years. Golden State, Indiana, Portland, Sacramento. There are extremely rare examples of players being given up by that many teams that really turn out to be good NBA players. I don't think he's underrated. He's just under-suited to play in the NBA.

Mr Bones
07-29-2009, 04:50 PM
It's not like the Warriors are the only team that moved on from Diogu. That makes four teams in four years. Golden State, Indiana, Portland, Sacramento. There are extremely rare examples of players being given up by that many teams that really turn out to be good NBA players. I don't think he's underrated. He's just under-suited to play in the NBA.

I have to agree-- and it's not like at least three of those teams were exactly overloaded with talent.

mavs>spurs2
07-29-2009, 04:54 PM
:lol This guy used to piss me off on one of the old nba lives because he was damn good and at the time i had never heard of him..i guess they rated him his rookie year based on potential

Hornets1
07-29-2009, 04:57 PM
good pick up .. need to get rid of armstrong tho ...

Agreed. Word is we might be dumping him to Memphis for a future 2nd rounder. Would save $2.8 million on salary and $2.8 million on LT. Maybe a sign-and-trade situation. Shinn doesn't mind paying the LT if he is fielding a contending team. If we dump Hilton, we WILL sign another big. Hopefully a 6-11/7footer

montgod
07-29-2009, 07:22 PM
Not that I believe it will happen, but there still is a possibility that Sac will match whatever the offer is. We will see soon enough.

It is a solid addition though if he stays on NO.

bostonguy
07-29-2009, 08:09 PM
Jason Richardson
Corey Maggette

are wing players that could be had. Word is both the suns and the warriors want to get rid of those contracts.

23LeBronJames23
07-29-2009, 08:30 PM
this makes the hornets formidable opponents.

+1

EricB
07-29-2009, 08:34 PM
damn nice move by the Hornets.

He could really get somesolid PT as he is the best big man outside Okafor and West.

Nice moves by the Hornets.