PDA

View Full Version : Odom Keeps Lakers Hanging In The Balance

duncan228
07-29-2009, 05:16 PM
Odom keeps Lakers hanging in the balance (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=mc-odom072909&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)
By Marc Spears

Don’t be surprised if NBA executives and coaches throughout the league are quietly chanting, “Let’s go Heat, let’s go Heat.”

There is no debating that superstar Kobe Bryant and fellow All-Star Pau Gasol lead the NBA champion Los Angeles Lakers. But often forgotten in the Lakers’ title run last season was the versatile play of free-agent forward Lamar Odom.

Odom is seriously considering Miami over the Lakers as his next destination. And if Odom opts for his old stomping ground of South Beach over Hollywood, forget about the Lakers being surefire title favorites in the NBA – and possibly even in the Western Conference.

“If he goes somewhere else, they’re vulnerable,” a Western Conference general manager said Wednesday. “With him, they’re the favorites.”

Said one West advance scout: “I definitely would think it’s unanimous in the league that if Lamar goes somewhere else, well at the very least in the West, that it gives you a glimmer of hope that even if Kobe plays great you’re right there with them.”

It’s been said that statistics don’t lie. Maybe not, but they don’t often tell the whole truth.

Odom, who has never been an All-Star, averaged 11.6 points, 8.2 rebounds and 2.6 assists for the Lakers last season – not justifying, at least on the surface, the 6-foot-10, 230-pounder’s $14.1 million salary.

But Odom impacts the game in many other ways. When center Andrew Bynum was injured, the Lakers didn’t miss a beat with Odom starting in his place. In fact, Los Angeles’ top two lineups in terms of plus-minus last season included Odom, not Bynum.

The sometimes too unselfish Odom has the ability to shoot 3-pointers, nail mid-range shots, score in the post, bring the ball up the floor, drive to the basket and find teammates for open buckets – all without an ego.

“He can be nonchalant, non-aggressive at times,” the West advance scout said. “But he adds to the team concept. He’s not worried about scoring. He’s a point forward. He makes extra passes. He makes plays for the team. He’s talented, has length and has size. Not many power forwards can make those plays.

“His playmaking ability makes everyone better. When he makes jump shots and he’s assertive, he creates mismatches for everyone.”

There is a statistic that provides a true indication of Odom’s value: individual plus-minus. Odom finished the 2008-09 season with a team-best +693 plus-minus – better than both Bryant (+659) and Gasol (+572). Moreover, the only NBA player with a higher plus-minus than Odom’s was Cleveland’s LeBron James (+871).

“It’s about being able to pass, dribble and shoot,” a longtime NBA assistant coach said. “[Odom] can pass, dribble and shoot. You take all three of those things away from a team and it hurts you. You’re taking away a guy that can do all that.”

The Lakers added forward Ron Artest while losing Trevor Ariza, who departed to Houston via free agency. Artest is expected to bring toughness, versatility, defense and scoring. But without Odom, the very eccentric Artest’s effectiveness could be neutralized, and there is no replacement if he is hurt.

“Everyone is fine with Artest if Lamar is there,” the West GM said. “But if you don’t have Lamar, it’s hard to trust Artest. You don’t know what he might and might not do.”

Questions also surround how healthy and effective Bynum will be, and whether the Lakers would have good chemistry without Odom and Ariza.

Also missing would be length, as L.A.’s big-man rotation featured Odom and two 7-footers in Gasol and Bynum. Only the Portland Trail Blazers and the Orlando Magic could match that length, and the Lakers’ effectiveness with that big lineup is one reason the Boston Celtics were so active in landing 6-11 forward-center Rasheed Wallace.

The Lakers, meanwhile, wouldn’t be as effective with Artest, reserve forward Luke Walton or the much less skilled Josh Powell playing in the post alongside Gasol or Bynum, and they don’t have the cap flexibility to sign an adequate replacement for Odom.

“Without Odom, the Blazers would become the biggest team in the West and the Lakers would be much easier to match up with,” a West scout said.

The West GM said it might be in the Lakers’ best interest to seek a sign-and-trade if Odom decides to leave to ensure they get something back – possibly forward/center Udonis Haslem and injury-plagued forward Dorell Wright, who were offered to Utah in Miami’s unsuccessful effort to land forward Carlos Boozer.

Lakers officials and Odom’s representatives have resumed talking after a weeklong standoff that began when Lakers owner Jerry Buss pulled a four-year, $36 million offer that guaranteed $30 million. An NBA source said Buss was very upset that Odom did not accept the initial offer. Odom has been offered a five-year, $34 million deal by the Heat, or a four-year contract that would give him the option to become a free agent in three seasons. Odom only turns 30 this year would not have to pay state income tax in Florida.

The Lakers would like Odom to take a pay cut, but he knows what he meant to the team last season. Odom also knows that Bryant has expressed a strong desire to have him back and isn’t expected to sign his extension until Odom’s situation is resolved, according to the Los Angeles Times.

With each passing day, Miami and other teams are given more opportunities to figure out a way to steal Odom and severely damage the Lakers’ budding dynasty. The Celtics, Cleveland Cavaliers and Orlando Magic all might feel they are better than a Lakers team missing Odom, while the Denver Nuggets, San Antonio Spurs and Blazers will have legitimate shots to win the West.

“We are all waiting patiently,” the West GM said. “The West teams want to see him in the East. It would make everyone feel they can win against the Lakers during the regular season and maybe in a playoff series.”

Hops
07-29-2009, 05:18 PM
This is approaching Brett Favre level :bang

KSeal
07-29-2009, 05:19 PM
Odom possibly leaving and everyone is already counting out the Lakers. I love it, Lakers are sleepers if Lamar goes.

kwamay_brown54
07-29-2009, 05:20 PM
Pathetic, a typical Boston fat homer who now works for Yahoo sports infecting the media again to spin his Celtic Nation homerism.

rayray2k8
07-29-2009, 05:36 PM
Who the hell is this West GM that ranked the Blazers as a contender?? :lol
Probably the Blazers GM.

Gino
07-29-2009, 05:38 PM
Article should be titled "Odom Keeps THE LEAGUE Hanging in the balance".

No one is beating the Lakers if he comes back. I dont like the Lakers getting past San Antonio without him.

bostonguy
07-29-2009, 05:42 PM
This saga just keeps on going and going. Im already getting bored. Make a decision already. Didn't you claim you would have an answer today Odom? Now this shit is going to drag on for a few more days? :sleep

kwamay_brown54
07-29-2009, 05:47 PM
Why do Celtic and Spurs fans give a flying fuck? This isn't your FA, go worry about your own roster.

spursfaninla
07-29-2009, 05:48 PM
This writer should be beaten with sharp sticks, Taiwan style for writing a "no news" article. I don't want to see an Odom headline without his decision in it.

spursfaninla
07-29-2009, 05:48 PM
Why does a grizzly fan give a flying fuck what spurs fans say on a spurs message board?

Closet laker fan.

kwamay_brown54
07-29-2009, 05:49 PM
THe responses in this board, its as if Odom was playing for the Spurs because he apparently has that much impact on the Spurs chances of winning in their eyes.

Morg1411
07-29-2009, 05:50 PM
Why does a grizzly fan give a flying fuck what spurs fans say on a spurs message board?

Closet laker fan.

:lol

bostonguy
Why do Celtic and Spurs fans give a flying fuck? This isn't your FA, go worry about your own roster.

Because im an NBA fan first and a celtics fan 2nd. What Odom does impacts alot of teams regardless of what he does.

Spursmania
:bang

lefty
07-29-2009, 06:04 PM
Odom possibly leaving and everyone is already counting out the Lakers. I love it, Lakers are sleepers if Lamar goes.

WTF

Lamar IS the Lakers bench

Leetonidas
07-29-2009, 06:10 PM

:lmao

That has to be the most retarded thing I've read in the NBA forum in awhile. Yeah, the NBA Champs after adding Artest are sleepers. :rolleyes

Get real dude.

Culburn369
07-29-2009, 06:16 PM
Because im an NBA fan first and a celtics fan 2nd. What Odom does impacts alot of teams regardless of what he does.

Translated= they're afraid.

lefty
07-29-2009, 06:24 PM
Yeah if Odom leaves, that bench will be scary :lol

Culburn369
07-29-2009, 06:30 PM
Get past the Mavs, Lefty, then worry about our lack of bench.

Mr. Body
07-29-2009, 06:44 PM
I think he retires.

anonoftheinternets
07-29-2009, 06:49 PM
man what a pathetic article ... cashing in on the situation to fill up news-space ...

Culburn369
07-29-2009, 06:55 PM
[West GM said. “The West teams want to see him in the East. It would make everyone feel they can win against the Lakers during the regular season and maybe in a playoff series.”]

Even anonymously how the Hell could you say something like that to another human being out loud? It's so weak & Portlandish.

bostonguy
07-29-2009, 07:03 PM

To be honest with you, I would like to see Odom resign. Not only cuz of a bet I made with a friend of mine, but I just feel like he fits in better than he would with Miami. I was just fine with LA winning it all this past year. I dont really hate or dislike that team. The Cavs on the other hand...I despise.

TheMACHINE
07-29-2009, 07:07 PM
Its so freakin obvious. Any team that gets Lamar odom is going to be the Champion next season.

xtremesteven33
07-29-2009, 07:10 PM
Farmar
Vujacic
Walton
Powell

Yikes!! :wow

TheMACHINE
07-29-2009, 07:11 PM
Farmar
Vujacic
Walton
Powell

Yikes!! :wow

hey fool...dont forget Mbenga :king

lil_penny
07-29-2009, 07:13 PM
It's so weak & Portlandish.

Hi hater.

xtremesteven33
07-29-2009, 07:16 PM

Haha yea its funny how the Lakers could have the best starting 5 but the weakest bench...:rollin

Culburn369
07-29-2009, 07:22 PM

Hell, if we could somehow get him straightened out he'd be like 7'6". He's terribly stooped, then if that ain't bad enough, over the initial stoopage his head stoops & hangs. He's a mess.

Culburn369
07-29-2009, 07:23 PM
Hi hater.

montgod
07-29-2009, 07:26 PM

And Morrison and Brown...

Spursmania
07-29-2009, 07:31 PM
Yeah if Odom leaves, that bench will be scary :lol

Yeah, Vujabitch and Walton, damn scary...:lol

Spursmania
07-29-2009, 07:33 PM

Pray, Lakers sign Odom. he fits the team perfectly. Why is Buss being such a tightwad? I thought LA could afford anything...:wakeup

KSeal
07-29-2009, 07:42 PM

Pray, Lakers sign Odom. he fits the team perfectly. Why is Buss being such a tightwad? I thought LA could afford anything...:wakeup

The Lakers already have the highest payroll in the NBA without Lamar. Please explain to me how he's being a tightwad?

You thought LA could afford anything, what are you, fucking retarded?

ducks
07-29-2009, 07:44 PM
The Lakers already have the highest payroll in the NBA without Lamar. Please explain to me how he's being a tightwad?

please explain to me why the laker prices and the clipper prices are so differernet
same place

DPG21920
07-29-2009, 07:44 PM

IaLfZnl4bsI

KSeal
07-29-2009, 07:46 PM
IaLfZnl4bsI

Pathetic response. Way to complete dodge a question, queer.

DPG21920
07-29-2009, 07:49 PM
:wtf

It rains in LA. Get out of the parents basement kid.

KSeal
07-29-2009, 07:51 PM
Another retarded post by DGP, what's new.

DPG21920
07-29-2009, 07:57 PM

:cry :cry Bynum is throwing Odom's money around the club :cry anyone who writes any thing bad about the Lakers :cry is a hater and knows nothing.

So far Stein/Bucher/DPG/Simmons are all dumb

Puker and Stein were acting like Ron can't walk anymore and Ariza is the second coming of Jesus Christ. Probably one of the funniest podcasts I've ever heard. Some of the bullshit these three guys dish out is beyond reason. Especially Bucher, that man is always wrong, always.

Puker OMG :lol:lol:rollin:rollin:rollin how funny.

All of your post are complete shit. You are a Laker fan on a Spurs board and a whiny bitch at that. Quit taking girl, you don't have enough posts to respond to me.

Kindergarten Cop
07-29-2009, 08:39 PM

KSeal
07-29-2009, 08:51 PM
:cry :cry Bynum is throwing Odom's money around the club :cry anyone who writes any thing bad about the Lakers :cry is a hater and knows nothing.

So far Stein/Bucher/DPG/Simmons are all dumb

First off, go read my comment in the Podcast thread, I never called Stein or Puker a hater. So accusing the Lakers of being a horrible franchise cause they won't just hand out a 115 million dollar payroll in the blink of an eye, in this economy, that isn't being dumb?

Puker OMG :lol:lol:rollin:rollin:rollin how funny.

All of your post are complete shit. You are a Laker fan on a Spurs board and a whiny bitch at that. Quit taking girl, you don't have enough posts to respond to me.

Ok, I won't respond to anyone on the site that has more posts then me. I see how it works here.

weebo
07-29-2009, 09:00 PM
With or without Odom, the Spurs still have a shot to win the West.

Brazil
07-29-2009, 09:03 PM
IaLfZnl4bsI

wow this is fucking pathetic

He should have kept his money to buy a shirt

ezau
07-29-2009, 09:10 PM

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

KSeal
07-29-2009, 09:24 PM
Lakers are sleepers. Nobody will pick them to win it all if Odom goes. And they will repeat, hence, people are sleeping on em.

Cry Havoc
07-29-2009, 09:34 PM
Personally, I love all this drama and hoopla about Odom.

Why?

Because it's the off-season, and this has been one of the most exciting off-seasons in NBA history so far. Normally this is extremely boring, downtime. Spurstalk even suffers a bit because of it, despite what Kori says. Fewer threads are generated. I'm thankful we have some stories that will absolutely affect the playoff run next year.

So I'm thankful we have so many fantastic, interesting storylines.

What I can't understand is why people are being so hypercritical of Odom for doing what a TON of pro-sports players do -- namely negotiate a contract that gives them the best deal and makes them happiest.

I think Lakers fans should be happy that Odom doesn't have a flair for the high-dramatics. He could be shooting his mouth off to the media right now, a la the Kobe-Shaq feud. He could be openly stating that he's shopping around to other teams. He could be talking about how he wants a bigger role on the team next season.

Laker fan response is to rip him for it. They should be thankful he's kept his mouth shut thus far. He could be doing far worse and it would be par for the course for their franchise. I guess they're just not used to players who don't yell and scream and bitch at the media all day, every day. :lol

Cry Havoc
07-29-2009, 09:35 PM
Lakers are sleepers. Nobody will pick them to win it all if Odom goes. And they will repeat, hence, people are sleeping on em.

You love the fact that being one of the top 4 teams in the NBA (without Odom) would make you a sleeper? That's your idea of not being picked by anyone?

You would love being a spurs fan.

DPG21920
07-29-2009, 09:37 PM
First off, go read my comment in the Podcast thread, I never called Stein or Puker a hater. So accusing the Lakers of being a horrible franchise cause they won't just hand out a 115 million dollar payroll in the blink of an eye, in this economy, that isn't being dumb?

Ok, I won't respond to anyone on the site that has more posts then me. I see how it works here.

Where did I say the Lkaers were a horrible franchise? The Bynum video was a joke that you did not get. Same with the post count thing.

Spursmania
07-29-2009, 09:41 PM

Oh contraire dumb ass, Laker fans were spouting their mouths that LA could afford both Odoma and Ariza. No problem... While many of us we're like WTF? So, I was being facetious, dickwad.

mytespurs
07-29-2009, 09:42 PM

Sorry I don't buy it. I think most would say the Lakers losing Odom puts them on par with the other top contenders in the West, not that they would not win it w/o Odom. In other words, the bench is weaker but if that starting 5 stays healthy, they are still the team to beat in the West.

:nope:nope on playing the underdog card. It ain't going to work. :lol

Spursmania
07-29-2009, 09:45 PM
Where did I say the Lkaers were a horrible franchise? The Bynum video was a joke that you did not get. Same with the post count thing.

There are things Kseal just doesn't get:lol

ezau
07-29-2009, 09:57 PM

Repeat without Odom? :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao I really love how these Laker fans bend and create reality :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Culburn369
07-29-2009, 10:05 PM
Repeat without Odom? :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao I really love how these Laker fans bend and create reality :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

The Mavs created quite a reality kickin' yer puny asses all over the state of Texas 4-1.

KSeal
07-29-2009, 10:09 PM

I wasn't talking about you, I was referring to the podcast. You said "So far Stein/Bucher/DPG/Simmons are all dumb". And in the podcast they all act like the Lakers are a horrible franchise if they end up losing Lamar and Ariza, which is very dumb. Lakers gave Lamar an offer of 3/30 which would have given them like a 113 million dollar payroll and he didn't even bother to respond. Meanwhile Ariza's agent completely butcher the negotiations leaving the Lakers with really no choice but to sign Artest. Yet Simmons, Puker and Stein act all oblivious to this and hate on the Lakers like it's there fault. It's a joke.

My response to your arrogant post count bullshit wasn't serious, it didn't warrant a serious response. Bynum is over paid, and I'm not supporting him making 12.5 million next year, that's a joke.

Lars
07-29-2009, 10:14 PM
Kseal doesnt want Odom to go, because he would have to stop posting and make a whole new account as a bandwagoner of whatever team emerges dominant.

DPG21920
07-29-2009, 10:14 PM
OK seal

KSeal
07-29-2009, 10:19 PM
Kseal doesnt want Odom to go, because he would have to stop posting and make a whole new account as a bandwagoner of whatever team emerges dominant.

You're completely correct, I don't live in LA and haven't been a Laker fan since I was like 8 :rolleyes. I'll for sure jump on the next best teams bandwagon once Odom leaves and it for sure won't be the Houston Rockets because they'll be in the fucking lottery next year.

Culburn369
07-29-2009, 10:20 PM
and make a whole new account as a bandwagoner of whatever team emerges dominant.

There'd be no need.

His current account will suffice.

ezau
07-29-2009, 10:28 PM
The Mavs created quite a reality kickin' yer puny asses all over the state of Texas 4-1.

If Odom leaves for Miami, you'll get your ass hammered by no less than our team this year :flag:

Culburn369
07-29-2009, 10:31 PM
If Odom leaves for Miami, you'll get your ass hammered by no less than our team this year :flag:
Provided the Mavs don't stomp another mudhole in your ass and walk it dry before you get to us.

Culburn369
07-29-2009, 10:51 PM
You would love being a spurs fan.

Here's Kori's Joint Spurs fan:

- "Oh, it's not fair, Manu came out of his hole and saw a ground hog."

- "Oh, it's not fair, Roger Mason Jr., found out he's adopted."

- "Oh, it's not fair, Eva turned a corner at Safeway and broke Tony's nose."

- "Oh, it's not fair, it's Timmy's time of the month and The Admiral took all the sanitary napkins."

- "Oh, it's not fair, Pop ran out of his leprosy medication."

- "Oh, it's not fair, R.C., forgot his recipe for hog jowls."

- "Oh, it's not fair, Horry won't come back and do our dirty work."

- "Oh, it's not fair, Bowen won't come back and do his dirty work."

---

Spurs fandom on this Board are a f'in disgrace. You cocknockers are no account. I have half a f'in mind to resign my account, but, that would be too easy on ya's.

You non repeating humps, you.

ezau
07-29-2009, 11:04 PM
Provided the Mavs don't stomp another mudhole in your ass and walk it dry before you get to us.

It's gonna be toss-up between the Mavs and Spurs this year. Your team? you guys will be lucky to get out of the first round without Odom. A first-round, royal butt-kicking of epic proportions will be fitting. Pray that Odom changes his mind because if he doesn't, you know that your soft-ass team is fucked:flag:

Culburn369
07-29-2009, 11:14 PM
It's gonna be toss-up between the Mavs and Spurs this year. Your team? you guys will be lucky to get out of the first round without Odom. A first-round, royal butt-kicking of epic proportions will be fitting. Pray that Odom changes his mind because if he doesn't, you know that your soft-ass team is fucked:flag:

Unlike you we don't wait until everything is just so, until everything is perfect. You screwballs won't even get off the snide until you can confirm Odom is leaving Los Angeles or not. No gd wonder you've never repeated. You ain't got the intestinal fortitude to go forth unless your guaranteed a result. Absent that result you give a hearty "wait till next year when the planets align" and you act out.

Suns fans told me you all were like this, but, I never imagined this f'in state of disgrace.

LakeShow
07-29-2009, 11:30 PM
Unlike you we don't wait until everything is just so, until everything is perfect. You screwballs won't even get off the snide until you can confirm Odom is leaving Los Angeles or not. No gd wonder you've never repeated. You ain't got the intestinal fortitude to go forth unless your guaranteed a result. Absent that result you give a hearty "wait till next year when the planets align" and you act out.

Suns fans told me you all were like this, but, I never imagined this f'in state of disgrace.

:wow Damn....:lol Don't hurt him, Culburn. :lol

Way to represent! :toast

Dunc n Dave
07-29-2009, 11:35 PM
Here's Kori's Joint Spurs fan:

- "Oh, it's not fair, Manu came out of his hole and saw a ground hog."

- "Oh, it's not fair, Roger Mason Jr., found out he's adopted."

- "Oh, it's not fair, Eva turned a corner at Safeway and broke Tony's nose."

- "Oh, it's not fair, it's Timmy's time of the month and The Admiral took all the sanitary napkins."

- "Oh, it's not fair, Pop ran out of his leprosy medication."

- "Oh, it's not fair, R.C., forgot his recipe for hog jowls."

- "Oh, it's not fair, Horry won't come back and do our dirty work."

- "Oh, it's not fair, Bowen won't come back and do his dirty work."

---

Spurs fandom on this Board are a f'in disgrace. You cocknockers are no account. I have half a f'in mind to resign my account, but, that would be too easy on ya's.

You non repeating humps, you

You were a Suns fan the last time the Lakers repeated... remember? The only thing the Suns repeated was losing to the Spurs in consecutive years.

Indazone
07-29-2009, 11:39 PM
If Odom leaves, it would be so apropo. Karma's a bitch! :lol

Gasol to the Lakers for Nothing! Odom to the Heat for Nothing! Priceless.

Dunc n Dave
07-29-2009, 11:45 PM
Here comes Dunc with his response, and his sole purpose of being here on this forum. He's the Laker fan police patrol. By the way, where is that troll?

Don't you have a Dick Jefferson thread to start?

Please luva, I'm just givin back a little for all the crap you, Culburn, and House give Spurs fans. You guys have dished it out far too long: time to taste your own medicine.

On the current discussion, even without Odom the only way the Lakers don't make it to the Conference Finals is if they run into the Spurs in Rnd 2. Dallas will not beat LA in a shootout; Marion or no Marion.

Spurs are the only true threat to the Lakers right now. Portland could give them trouble, but I have to wait and see how Miller effects their team before I can declare them capable of beating L.A. without Odom.

Culburn369
07-29-2009, 11:51 PM
You were a Suns fan the last time the Lakers repeated... remember? The only thing the Suns repeated was losing to the Spurs in consecutive years.

Please. Yesterday you championed my Lakers fandom as an fine example of the genre. Now, this evening because I took your Spurs fandom collectively to the woodshed you commissed on the LakersWhore routine.

You sad sack, you.

I caught you tiptoeing thru the tulips, Dunc, and whipped you like the red headed step child I never had.

LakeShow
07-29-2009, 11:58 PM
but, but manu was hurt. :cry

Culburn369
07-30-2009, 12:07 AM

:rollin

Cry Havoc
07-30-2009, 12:47 AM

But, but but, we had Kwame Brown on our team. :depressed

DrHouse
07-30-2009, 01:32 AM
Last I checked the Lakers just won the 2009 NBA Championship while the Spurs got knocked out in the 1st round by the Dallas Mavericks. Show some fucking respect. You aren't better than the champs until you BEAT the champs.

I don't give a shit what the Spurs look like on paper. They have yet to play one single game with this new roster and their moronic fans already think they are automatically making it back to the WCF. It doesn't work that way. You need to actually get out on the court and prove that you are as good as you say.

ezau
07-30-2009, 01:34 AM

Kiss Odom goodbye bitches. Enjoy trash-talking domination because you won't be repeating:flag:

ezau
07-30-2009, 01:37 AM
Please. Yesterday you championed my Lakers fandom as an fine example of the genre. Now, this evening because I took your Spurs fandom collectively to the woodshed you commissed on the LakersWhore routine.

You sad sack, you.

I caught you tiptoeing thru the tulips, Dunc, and whipped you like the red headed step child I never had.

You genuinely think you're owning us? What are you? 12 :lmao

ezau
07-30-2009, 01:40 AM
Last I checked the Lakers just won the 2009 NBA Championship while the Spurs got knocked out in the 1st round by the Dallas Mavericks. Show some fucking respect. You aren't better than the champs until you BEAT the champs.

I don't give a shit what the Spurs look like on paper. They have yet to play one single game with this new roster and their moronic fans already think they are automatically making it back to the WCF. It doesn't work that way. You need to actually get out on the court and prove that you are as good as you say.

Anyone who says that the Spurs didn't get better is simply delusional. We Spurs fans know that this Spurs team is no longer the 08 and 09 teams that struggled mightily against the Lakers. Don't give me the crap that this team hasn't played a single game because you know very well that we are legitimate threats. :flag:

sabar
07-30-2009, 01:43 AM
Laker fans talked trash even when they were getting destroyed by the run-n-gun Suns in the playoffs.

Note that most of the laker fans here showed up post-gasol trade. The one or two good laker fans have been here quite a while.

ezau
07-30-2009, 01:49 AM
These fuckers were also here talking trash right after the 39-point beatdown by Boston

KSeal
07-30-2009, 01:56 AM
Kiss Odom goodbye bitches. Enjoy trash-talking domination because you won't be repeating:flag:

:rolleyes At least wait until the guy actually leaves before you start talking shit like he's already gone. It's still as likely he'll remain in LA then he'll leave. Obviously he wants to be a Laker or else he would have been gone long ago. It's just a matter of Buss upping his offer enough to where Odom can live with it.

Funny how a guy thats team has never repeated is talking shit about another team not repeating, at least do it before you talk shit about another team not doing it...pathetic.

angelbelow
07-30-2009, 02:00 AM
http://4gifs.com/gallery/d/124286-1/Dont_touch_the_girls.gif

TheMACHINE
07-30-2009, 02:09 AM
Anyone who says that the Spurs didn't get better is simply delusional. We Spurs fans know that this Spurs team is no longer the 08 and 09 teams that struggled mightily against the Lakers. Don't give me the crap that this team hasn't played a single game because you know very well that we are legitimate threats. :flag:

iggypop123
07-30-2009, 02:10 AM
meh everydays its on paper we are great. then its bynum is trash he is never healthy but manu will be or vice verca

ezau
07-30-2009, 03:58 AM
:rolleyes At least wait until the guy actually leaves before you start talking shit like he's already gone. It's still as likely he'll remain in LA then he'll leave. Obviously he wants to be a Laker or else he would have been gone long ago. It's just a matter of Buss upping his offer enough to where Odom can live with it.

Funny how a guy thats team has never repeated is talking shit about another team not repeating, at least do it before you talk shit about another team not doing it...pathetic.

You can also put it this way. If Odom genuinely wants to stay, he would've signed a long time ago. He's not doing it because he has second thought on staying with a team that can't offer him what he wants. Typical Laker fan:sleep

KSeal
07-30-2009, 04:06 AM
You can also put it this way. If Odom genuinely wants to stay, he would've signed a long time ago. He's not doing it because he has second thought on staying with a team that can't offer him what he wants. Typical Laker fan:sleep

You're somewhat right, cause I still can't fathom how he turned down those 3/30 and 4/36 offers. But since then, which was two weeks ago, the Lakers have offered him 10 million less then Miami and he still hasn't signed with Miami which I would assume means he prefers LA but he's waiting to see if the Lakers will up their offer and if they never do he'll have Miami to fall back on.

crc21209
07-30-2009, 04:07 AM

This coming from a guy who's team took 7 fucking years to finally win one again. STFU.

mystargtr34
07-30-2009, 04:10 AM

Your general point is correct in most cases. But when its Richard Jefferson and Antonio McDyess replacing Michael Finley's 25-30 minutes a game, and Matt Bonner's 25-30 minutes a game - you dont have to play a damn game to know your team is going to be 30% better - and that has alot more to do with Finley and Bonner, than it does with the guys replacing them

I dont think anyone other than Spurfans realise how bad these two were. Its unfair to critisise either player too much, because both are fine as 11th and 12th men, but when Finley and Bonner are your 4th and 5th options, or 3rd and 4th options like they were in the playoffs, well then your team probably isnt going to win a title.

Could you imagine Brian Scalabrine and Jerry Stackhouse being the 3rd and 4th options for the Lakers, in the playoffs? If then Lamar Odom and Ron Artest were signed and came in to replace those two, do you think you would need to first see improvement on the court, before making the claim the Lakers would be a much better team?

Its not a rhetorical question, Im actually interested to hear your answer?

KSeal
07-30-2009, 04:19 AM
This coming from a guy who's team took 7 fucking years to finally win one again. STFU.

This coming from a guy who's team took 23 fucking years to finally win one, STFU.

Culburn369
07-30-2009, 05:20 AM
What are you? 12 :lmao

I wish.

Culburn369
07-30-2009, 05:29 AM
Last I checked the Lakers just won the 2009 NBA Championship while the Spurs got knocked out in the 1st round by the Dallas Mavericks.

Yer right, Doc, last I checked\\\same result came up: the Mavs polished their knob in the Spur's lunchbucket, & we garnered our 15th.

How bout you, Dunc, htf does it check out to you, bozonuts?

lefty
07-30-2009, 09:56 AM

Dont worry we'll kick your asses next season.

Oh, and please change the 10 to 4 in your signature.

KFC won 6 of his 10 titles with the Bulls, dumbass

Culburn369
07-30-2009, 10:06 AM
Dont worry we'll kick your asses next season.

"worry"?---you weak shits have made "worry" a cottage industry.

It all has to 100% worry free or you fucks sit on yer ass, white flag aloft, wringin' yer hands, weeping and categorizin' every sore muscle and runny nose.

It's why you were incapable of repeating. You haven't got the guts. Yer whole organization reeks of punyism.

Spursfan092120
07-30-2009, 10:09 AM

Yeah..and the Lakers without Ariza and with Artest haven't played either. Without Ariza, you may not have even gotten past Denver...if you recall he took those last possesions away from them. No way in hell Artest is athletic enough to do what he did. And I love how you say that we have yet to play one single game and our moronic fans already think we're making it back..lol...that's what you're doing, douchebag. Every Spurs fan knows the Lakers are the favorites...no one's denying that. But you have to prove yourselves just as much as we do. It's a new year, DrDouche...and you have to defend the title. We got better, and IMO, you got worse. So, good luck with that.

lefty
07-30-2009, 10:09 AM

It all has to 100% worry free or you fucks sit on yer ass, white flag aloft, wringin' yer hands, weeping and categorizin' every sore muscle and runny nose.

It's why you were incapable of repeating. You haven't got the guts. Yer whole organization reeks of punyism.
Lakers repeated thanks to Stern, period

You are not going to repeat

It was Kobe's last title :lmao

DrHouse
07-30-2009, 10:11 AM
Only on SpursTalk is Trevor Ariza a better player than Ron Artest :lmao

It's funny how the rest of the NBA does not share your opinion. Go ask Dwayne Wade what he thinks about Artest coming to LA.

lefty
07-30-2009, 10:14 AM
Only on SpursTalk is Trevor Ariza a better player than Ron Artest :lmao

It's funny how the rest of the NBA does not share your opinion. Go ask Dwayne Wade what he thinks about Artest coming to LA.
Ariza made big plays for L.A in the last playoffs

You are a Laker fan and you haven't noticed lol

Culburn369
07-30-2009, 10:16 AM
It was Kobe's last title

That's what you said after Kobe's last title before this title.

Culburn369
07-30-2009, 10:20 AM
Without Ariza, you may not have even gotten past Denver

The Nuggets skinned & grinned themselves to death long before Ariza ever made an impact.

That's how the Nuggets protect themselves against loss: [we'll act like complete assholes, portend it don't matter, laugh at bad calls, laugh at the Lakers and then if perchance we end up on the shit of the stick, we're covered].

lefty
07-30-2009, 10:24 AM
That's what you said after Kobe's last title before this title.
Well done sir :toast

But this time I mean it :lol

lefty
07-30-2009, 10:27 AM
Denver was stupid enough to throw him the ball twice. I wont even call those steals. And he made some wide open three pointers in the championship. Ariza is a fourth tier player in this league, just like Turiaf, he wont be missed.
I do agree with you on the Denver series.

Odom is far more important for Lakers:

- he is the bench
- his versatility is a matchup nightmare for the Spurs :(

rayray2k8
07-30-2009, 10:31 AM
love hearing everyone single one of you talk, yet non of you will be able to do anything on the court. :lol
Only speculate.

Culburn369
07-30-2009, 10:36 AM
Denver was stupid enough to throw him the ball twice.

Exactly. That's was Denver cry of "no mas"...[I'll throw this and it'll be over and I can go spend my money. I can't take this shit. Beating Kobe ain't worth this agony] It's why CWEBB walked away from Horry in '02. It's why Wallace walked away from Horry in '05. Winning isn't always what you do, but, what the opponent does. They just want it to be over. Phil knows that. Gasol as well. Kobe knows it, but, can't profit from his knowledge. Nobody else. Pop knows that. Manu too. Maybe Duncan. Nobody else.

ulosturedge
07-30-2009, 10:38 AM
Seems everyday that we don't hear something the less likely it is that he is returning to the Lakers. Gives me the impression that Buss has no intention to sweeten the deal. Because if he did I think Odom would have signed by now. Either the drama queen is gonna come crawling back to the Lakers or pout his way towards Miami.

lefty
07-30-2009, 10:52 AM
Ok, lefty. I'm sure you can agree that Artest is also an upgrade over Ariza too. Lets assume Odom leaves, which I'm praying he does. Do you think the Lakers will sit idle, and not make a trade?
By trading, do you mean getting Wade for nothing

Ok, just kidding.

Artest is an upgrade over Ariza, no question.

If LO leaves, Lakers will get some cap space they can use in 2010; how can they replace LO via a trade ? They don't have a valuable asset, unless you send a package including Farmar (we all know Shannon Brown is better), Walton and Sasha, then there is a possibility.

rjv
07-30-2009, 11:07 AM
what does it matter? according to mavs fan, dallas already has the best bench in the NBA.

Dunc n Dave
07-30-2009, 11:18 AM
Portland has a team full of scrubs. They have never beaten us, and never will. I'm more concerned about Denver than I am about those Dinosaurs in San An.

That's what Dallas was thinking about the Warriors in 07. They figured that just because Golden State manhandled them in the regular season 3 of 4 times doesn't mean they could do it in the playoffs. And you saw what happened, they ended up on the wrong side of HISTORY...

Some teams just don't match up well with other teams. The last few years, Dallas has been a bad match up for the Spurs, Spurs were bad match up for Suns, but if last year is any indicator,(and especially if Odom leaves) Portland appears they could be the Lakers match up nightmare with that length they have. The guy who wrote this article even said Portland will be the team with the most length if Odom leaves L.A. Long, athletic teams who can neutralize the Laker frountcourt are the L.A. kryptonite.

Dunc n Dave
07-30-2009, 11:27 AM

You sad sack, you.

YOU are delusional. I didn't "champion you as a fine example of Laker fandom!" I gave you credit for at least admitting when you were wrong about something, instead of copping out and saying "some questions just don't deserve to be answered" or ignoring the fact altogether, like some of your brethren.

And facts are facts: you were a Suns fan up until the last 1-2 years, so quit walking around with your nose in the air with your "shit eattin grin on yer face" like you've accomplished something personally. All you've accomplished is making yourself look like an arrogant little shit who jumped the bandwagon in 07 after watching the Suns get stomped by the Spurs for the 3rd time in 4 years.

Culburn369
07-30-2009, 11:32 AM
YOU are delusional. I didn't "champion you as a fine example of Laker fandom!" I gave you credit for at least admitting when you were wrong about something, instead of copping out and saying "some questions just don't deserve to be answered" or ignoring the fact altogether, like some of your brethren.

And facts are facts: you were a Suns fan up until the last 1-2 years, so quit walking around with your nose in the air with your "shit eattin grin on yer face" like you've accomplished something personally. All you've accomplished is making yourself look like an arrogant little shit who jumped the bandwagon in 07 after watching the Suns get stomped by the Spurs for the 3rd time in 4 years.

Nope, you contrasted me to Luva and said I was a good Lakers fellow. Then when I gave your Spurs Fandom a good red assin' you came down on me with the LakersWhore routine again, Dunc.

I got ya, Dad, dead to rights. Oh, yeah.

Dunc n Dave
07-30-2009, 11:34 AM
I understand your fear. I know you'd like for the Blazers to knock us off so you don't have to deal with us. We heard this all last season. The Blazers are a joke of a team, and nothing has been added to make me change my mind.

You're the one that should fear them, since they beat the Lakers the last 2 times they played. Especially if they somehow win their division and have home court vs. L.A., it could be all over. When's the last time L.A. won in Portland?

Denver and Dallas are not a threat. The Spurs are #1, and Portland could end up #2 on the list of teams set to dethrone L.A.

DrHouse
07-30-2009, 11:34 AM
Ariza made big plays for L.A in the last playoffs

You are a Laker fan and you haven't noticed lol

Way to completely not address my point.

Is Trevor Ariza a better player than Ron Artest? Your answer will determine if I even bother reading your posts from here on out.

Culburn369
07-30-2009, 11:36 AM
The Spurs are #1

The Mavs kickin' your ass all over Texas withstanding.

tee, hee.

Cleveland Steamer
07-30-2009, 11:44 AM
You aren't better than the champs until you BEAT the champs.

Los Angeles Lakers, 2009 NBA Interim Champions

Dunc n Dave
07-30-2009, 11:44 AM
Nope, you contrasted me to Luva and said I was a good Lakers fellow. Then when I gave your Spurs Fandom a good red assin' you came down on me with the LakersWhore routine again, Dunc.

I got ya, Dad, dead to rights. Oh, yeah.

Wrong again! Look here, you weak little shit. Time to fess up again...

Here's the post you are referring to:

At least Culburn owns up when he's wrong about something, but you run away and deflect by starting another lame ass thread discrediting Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, Jefferson, etc.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3596588#post3596588

Like I said, you are delusional to the point that you are making up fantasies about what I said to you. Go write a poem and bump your appreciation thread. I'm sure its down to page 3 or 4 now on the board...

Culburn369
07-30-2009, 11:47 AM
When's the last time L.A. won in Portland?

Well, there was that time in 2000 when they were down 16 in the third quarter and Kobe put Pippen into a Portland area burn unit. That game was the point of crisis on the cusp of the trio.

I thought Dr. Jack was going to have a double coronary.

Dunc n Dave
07-30-2009, 11:49 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm sure you will, but we swept them the last two times we met in the playoffs. You, as a Spur fan should know that regular season games don't count, right? They had HC against Houston, what happened? That city is too depressed to beat us. And you saying that we're going to be third in the West is like saying the Lakers will be ten games worse this year. WAKE UP!

You must have a reading disorder. I didn't say the Lakers would be 3rd. I siad the Spurs are #1 and the Blazers could be #2 IN LINE TO DETHRONE l.A.

As in #1 threat and #2 threat to the Lakers, WAKE UP, you dumbass...

And yeah, in most cases regular season success does not =playoff success, unless it's just a bad matchup (Dallas vs. SA, GS vs Dallas, SA vs. Suns). Portland=bad matchup for L.A.

Culburn369
07-30-2009, 11:49 AM
Wrong again! Look here, you weak little shit. Time to fess up again...

Here's the post you are referring to:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3596588#post3596588

Like I said, you are delusional to the point that you are making up fantasies about what I said to you. Go write a poem and bump your appreciation thread. I'm sure its down to page 3 or 4 now on the board...

I God's, Dunc, yer right again!

But, I will bump my appreciation thread.

Dunc n Dave
07-30-2009, 11:54 AM
I God's, Dunc, yer right again!

But, I will bump my appreciation thread.

Capitulation accepted!
As for bumping the appreciation thread, have at it...:toast

Culburn369
07-30-2009, 11:59 AM
Capitulation accepted!
As for bumping the appreciation thread, have at it...:toast

I think you like my thread, Dunc. You just pretend to hate it so the others won't catch on and call you a faggot, or gay or douchy.

Cry Havoc
07-30-2009, 12:02 PM

This coming from the fanbase that has created 1500 "Is Kobe as better than Jordan" threads... on a Spurs board. :lmao

DrHouse
07-30-2009, 12:03 PM
The Spurs need to prove to the rest of the NBA that they are indeed contenders this year. It's not like they made it to the WCF or the Finals last year and then made a bunch of upgrades.

They got THOROUGHLY DICKSLAPPED BY THE WORST DALLAS MAVERICKS TEAM IN 5 YEARS 4-1 DESPITE HAVING HCA in the 1ST ROUND. There is a difference.

Culburn369
07-30-2009, 12:08 PM
The Spurs need to prove to the rest of the NBA that they are indeed contenders this year.

But, they're inert unless all the I's are dotted & T's are crossed, the entire roster is set and 125% healthy, its their turn to own Stern, et al.

DDS4
07-30-2009, 12:11 PM
The Spurs need to prove to the rest of the NBA that they are indeed contenders this year. It's not like they made it to the WCF or the Finals last year and then made a bunch of upgrades.

They got THOROUGHLY DICKSLAPPED BY THE WORST DALLAS MAVERICKS TEAM IN 5 YEARS 4-1 DESPITE HAVING HCA in the 1ST ROUND. There is a difference.

Dickslapped only because Manu was out and TD was playing on one leg. It's true that they need to prove that RJ/McDyess can mesh with the regulars. But it's not like the Spurs completely overhauled their team.

Culburn369
07-30-2009, 12:20 PM
Dickslapped only because Manu was out and TD was playing on one leg.

That's so f'in weak & puny. Have some gd self-respect\take your ass whipping & soldier.

DrHouse
07-30-2009, 12:51 PM
Dickslapped only because Manu was out and TD was playing on one leg. It's true that they need to prove that RJ/McDyess can mesh with the regulars. But it's not like the Spurs completely overhauled their team.

Excuses, excuses, excuses.

Josh Howard was playing on one freaking leg for crying out loud.

Stop your fucking excuse generating, pussy, bitch ass, whining mouths and just admit the Spurs weren't very good last season. They sure as hell weren't winning a championship, even if they were healthy.

kwamay_brown54
07-30-2009, 12:59 PM

Stop your fucking excuse generating, pussy, bitch ass, whining mouths and just admit the Spurs weren't very good last season. They sure as hell weren't winning a championship, even if they were healthy.

I made a thread a week ago, and I still stand by it. Even when 110% healthy, the spurs don't possess the talent, physicality, and schemes to even be a top 3 defense in the league anymore. Boston, Cleveland, and the Lakers have better scouting, schemes, personell, and talent just on the DEFENSIVE end than SAS even when healthy.

rayray2k8
07-30-2009, 01:05 PM
I made a thread a week ago, and I still stand by it. Even when 110% healthy, the spurs don't possess the talent, physicality, and schemes to even be a top 3 defense in the league anymore. Boston, Cleveland, and the Lakers have better scouting, schemes, personell, and talent just on the DEFENSIVE end than SAS even when healthy.

Eh.
This is gonna be a fun year. :blah

Dr. Gonzo
07-30-2009, 01:08 PM

I agree.

Dex
07-30-2009, 01:12 PM
Laker Fan wins the championship, and is still obsessing over the Spurs.

Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Morg1411
07-30-2009, 01:19 PM

Good lord, you're pathetic.

kwamay_brown54
07-30-2009, 01:23 PM
Here is a fun fact, the last time the Spurs have even had to face a championship level DEFENSE and prevailed was back in 2005 against the Pistons. In 2006, epic failure to a defenseless Mavs team, 2007 they beat enver, run n fun suns, jazz, and cavs. Not a single stalwart on defense on that list. In 2008, they lose to an average at best defensive team in the WCF 4-1 against the Lakers. 2009 was the worst losing to a putrid defensive squad in the Mavs in the first round. The Spurs haven't played championship caliber defense since freaking 2005 and that is a fact.

Culburn369
07-30-2009, 01:26 PM
Here is a fun fact, the last time the Spurs have even had to face a championship level DEFENSE and prevailed was back in 2005 against the Pistons. In 2006, epic failure to a defenseless Mavs team, 2007 they beat enver, run n fun suns, jazz, and cavs. Not a single stalwart on defense on that list. In 2008, they lose to an average at best defensive team in the WCF 4-1 against the Lakers. 2009 was the worst losing to a putrid defensive squad in the Mavs in the first round. The Spurs haven't played championship caliber defense since freaking 2005 and that is a fact.

Kwamay, pickin' 'em up||||layin' 'em down. Thanks, Kwam.

benefactor
07-30-2009, 02:22 PM
4-1 faggots!

ambchang
07-30-2009, 02:26 PM
But, they're inert unless all the I's are dotted & T's are crossed, the entire roster is set and 125% healthy, its their turn to own Stern, et al.

Quiet, I hear Laker fans talking about Bynum's health in the summer of 2008 ....

ambchang
07-30-2009, 02:27 PM

2007 Cavs didn't play good defense?

You forgot to mention the Spurs lost to the Mavs 1-4 in the last year's playoffs.

Muser
07-30-2009, 02:29 PM

http://www.ihatethecapslockkey.com/capslockdemotivate.jpg

Culburn369
07-30-2009, 02:48 PM
Quiet, I hear Laker fans talking about Bynum's health in the summer of 2008 ....

Not I. I don't do injuries. It's my religion.

We got our ass kicked pillar to postPERIOD

Muser
07-30-2009, 02:50 PM
Anyway back on topic...Any more news?

Culburn369
07-30-2009, 02:52 PM
I read somewhere over on ESPN this morning it's supposed to be resolved yet this week.

2Cleva
07-30-2009, 02:53 PM
Ric Bucher - "Relief! LO will make his decision in next 48 hours, source says. Wants to stay in LA, Lakers making it hard."

http://twitter.com/RicBucher

Culburn369
07-30-2009, 02:55 PM
Latest chatter: Odom, Boozer and more

Comment (http://myespn.go.com/conversation/story?id=4365768) Email (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&page=Chatter-090730#) Print (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=4365768&type=story) Share (http://javascript<b></b>:void(0);)
http://a.espncdn.com/i/columnists/Stein_Marc_35.jpg (http://search.espn.go.com/marc-stein/) By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
Archive (http://search.espn.go.com/marc-stein/)

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0717/nba_g_odom_boozer_576.jpgAndrew D. Bernstein/NBAE/Getty ImagesAfter weeks of talks and rumors, will Lamar Odom or Carlos Boozer be playing elsewhere in 2009-10?

Our latest serving of summertime chatter culled from conversations with a variety of knowledgeable sources -- team officials, coaches, players and agents -- plugged into the NBA grapevine:

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/headshots/nba/players/65/617.jpg
Odom

I continue to hear in the strongest possible terms, from sources with knowledge of the talks, that the Lamar Odom (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=617) saga will not drag beyond this week. Yet you can't ignore the fact that the saga has lasted longer than anyone imagined, so we'll have to see if we are indeed finally inching to the finish line.
Odom's choices, as of lunchtime Thursday, were the same choices he's been mulling all week. Informed sources say the Lakers' latest offer is in the area of $25 million over three years, down from the $27 million over three years that was taken off the table earlier this month by Lakers owner Jerry Buss.
If Odom can't get the Lakers to move that number any farther north, which clearly is what he's been trying to do while delaying his decision in the face of Miami's monthlong hard sell, he will have to either accept L.A.'s new best offer to stay with the Lakers as he prefers or choose between two deals from the Heat.
As ESPN.com reported Monday (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4359259), should the 29-year-old decide to reunite with Dwyane Wade (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1987) and Pat Riley after haggling with the Lakers for so long, Odom likely will be deciding between a five-year, $34 million deal that includes a provision to return to free agency after the fourth season or a four-year deal with an opt-out clause after three years.
Numerous sidebar angles in this saga -- some of which, like how all this might affect L.A.'s efforts to convince Kobe Bryant (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=110) to sign a contract extension this summer, we've addressed in recent columns and news stories -- are covered in Part 1 of the latest books-on-tape-length installment of the B.S. Report (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&page=Chatter-090730#)

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/headshots/nba/players/65/1703.jpg
Boozer

The hottest Carlos Boozer (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1703) tale to blip onto the radar this week: Sources say Memphis had the option of trading for Boozer instead of Zach Randolph (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1017) earlier this month.
Yet the Grizz decided, apparently with considerable input from coach Lionel Hollins, that Boozer would have been less than thrilled to play out the final season of his contract in Graceland, thus convincing them that Randolph -- starting over for the third time -- would be more productive.
As difficult as it remains for many league observers to digest the idea that Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley felt he could no longer afford Pau Gasol (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=996) but now is willing to give the combustible Randolph some $33 million over the next two seasons, there's little doubt that Randolph will feature hugely for the Grizz next season.
Given how far away Hasheem Thabeet looked in summer league, Memphis needs a big man who can shoulder a big load. Perhaps Thabeet will be presented as a starter for the Grizz, since he's the No. 2 overall pick, but they will have to put him third on the crunch-time depth chart behind Randolph and Marc Gasol (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3206). At best.

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/headshots/nba/players/65/1024.jpg
Tinsley

Next up for Jamaal Tinsley (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1024), after his Wednesday meeting with the Knicks and former boss Donnie Walsh, is a weekend sitdown with Riley in either Miami or Los Angeles.
"I gave my word to Pat Riley that he could meet with Jamaal before we made any commitment," Tinsley's agent, Raymond Brothers, told ESPN.com.
Brothers said Memphis is the third team currently in the Tinsley hunt after his buyout from Indiana last week. It's believed that if Tinsley ends up in Miami, the Heat will use their $1.9 million biannual exception to sign him.
Tinsley officially became an unrestricted free agent on Thursday at 10 a.m. when he cleared waivers.

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/headshots/nba/players/65/609.jpg
Nowitzki

If you're thinking Dirk Nowitzki (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=609) will have a problem with Dallas' recent signing of Tim Thomas (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=847) because of the infamous kiss Thomas blew at Nowitzki during an on-court confrontation in the 2006 Western Conference finals, think again.
Nowitzki said he was disappointed to read from Germany that the Bulls pulled out of the original construction of the deal that landed Shawn Marion (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=510) in Dallas and would have sent Thomas from the Bulls to the Mavericks. Nowitzki then was pleased to learn the Mavs were able to get Thomas anyway this week as a tall shooter off the bench for the veteran minimum of $1.3 million.
"That stuff is long gone," Nowitzki said this week. "We were in the bottom [six] in 3-point shooting and we needed to address that. I'm happy he's a Maverick."
The clash with Thomas isn't exactly a haunting memory. Nowitzki wound up scoring 50 points in that game, outscoring the Suns by himself in the fourth quarter (22-20) to put Dallas within one win of its eventual trip to the NBA Finals.

http://a.espncdn.com/i/teamlogos/nba/med/mem.gif

During our recent visit with him at the Vegas Summer League, Heisley confirmed that he remains open to selling the team but insisted the franchise won't be moved even if a prospective buyer does materialize.
"We've got nobody interested in buying the team," Heisley said. "[But] I've been so upfront on this. … Our situation is well documented. I think Memphis deserves an owner who's there, whether he's from there or whether he moves there. And I said that when I first came to Memphis [from Chicago]. So there's nothing changed about my position.
"I don't foresee anybody buying the team in the near future. As I've said over a year ago, I've focused myself on rebuilding this team, and I think we've done a good job. Contrary to some opinions, I think we've done a very good job.
"If I'm going to change [that position], I'll come out and say: 'Hey, this team's not for sale.' … Our position is, if the right situation comes up, we'll sell it."
One more Grizzlies item: Memphis' deal with second-round pick Sam Young is a three-year contract worth $2,658,000. The third season, at $947,800, is a team option. Taken No. 36 overall in June's draft, Young averaged 13.6 points (a team high) and 4.2 rebounds on 51.9 percent shooting in summer league play, helping the Grizz go 5-0.

http://a.espncdn.com/i/teamlogos/nba/med/lal.gif

The Lakers did issue a news release earlier this week to announce a done deal, moving their Oct. 9 exhibition game against Golden State to their formerly fabulous Forum home and making me want to find a way to be J.A. Adande for a night so I could try to sneak into my old seat on the baseline. That's where I was stationed for two seasons in the mid-1990s as a Lakers beat writer for the Los Angeles Daily News, grateful to occupy one of the great media-row spots in sportswriting history … and not just because of the proximity to the four (or so) Laker Girls rotating from corner to corner after every quarter.

The game will be part of the team's efforts to commemorate the Lakers' 50th anniversary in L.A. They played at the Forum from 1967 to 1999, winning six championships (1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987 and 1988) during that span.

What wasn't announced, though, is that the Lakers seriously flirted with moving that exhibition to an outdoor venue.

In addition to the NBA's previously scheduled trip to the Palm Springs area to play on a hardwood floor laid down on center court at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden for the second straight year -- Phoenix is playing host to the Warriors on Oct. 10 this time -- word is that the Lakers looked hard at scheduling this exhibition in front of what could have been a massive crowd at the historic Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

The Lakers began to pursue the outdoor idea when they scrapped their plans to hold training camp in Hawaii, which forced them to move both their preseason dates (now Oct. 7 and Oct. 9) with Golden State. But because neither of those games was a weekend game, thus preventing L.A. from moving to an earlier hour to guard against a steep temperature drop like the Suns and Nuggets endured in the desert last October, league approval could not be secured.

The sense I get, though, is that the Lakers and other teams will continue to explore their outdoor options. Out-of-the-box ideas are encouraged these days, as evidenced by the NBA's decision to stage the 2010 All-Star Game at the glittering new Cowboys Stadium.

The game between Phoenix and Denver, in spite of the wind and cold, was the NBA's first sanctioned outdoor game since a Suns trip to Puerto Rico in 1972 and was widely considered a success.

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here (http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/mailbagESPN?event_id=3033).

DrHouse
07-30-2009, 03:07 PM
I've got nothing to say because I know House is right

ambchang
07-30-2009, 04:17 PM
Not I. I don't do injuries. It's my religion.

We got our ass kicked pillar to postPERIOD

You mean you don't act exactly like all the stereotypical Laker fans?
Wow, what a revelation!
Perhaps it's true that not all Spurs fans act alike as well.

iggypop123
07-30-2009, 04:22 PM
rehab ginobli and bynum. we need 2 teams at full strength

BeeGee
07-31-2009, 07:25 AM
If Odom leaves, it would be so apropo. Karma's a bitch! :lol

Gasol to the Lakers for Nothing! Odom to the Heat for Nothing! Priceless.Uh yeh hold that thought, homeboy. Matter o'fact, shove that thought back into ya asshole. The champs are here. :lobt: