PDA

View Full Version : Suicide lines: Nash's competitive zeal; Haslem-for-Odom talk?

ducks
07-29-2009, 07:41 PM
Suicide lines: Nash's competitive zeal; Haslem-for-Odom talk?
By J.E. Skeets
Each weekday morning, Ball Don't Lie serves up a handful of NBA-related stories to digest with your cheese.

Dan Bickley, Arizona Republic: "When [Steve] Nash agreed to a two-year extension with the Suns, the skepticism began anew. Nash was giving up his last chance to chase that elusive NBA championship. He was returning to a team where cost control trumps all, a diminished outfit now parked outside the circle of contenders. Nash cited a love of community and organization, and surely, many die-hards and blue-hairs want to give the point guard a big hug. But others questioned his competitive zeal, as if this were proof of some flaw in his athletic genetic code. Granted, there will be no such ending for Nash. Unless he is traded, he will join the fraternity of impact players who never won a title, a list that includes Charles Barkley, Karl Malone, John Stockton and Patrick Ewing. That notoriety will follow him for the rest of his life, and on some level, it has to sting."

Ira Winderman, South Florida Sun-Sentinel: "So the Lakers don't want to commit significant long-term money to a 30-year-old Lamar Odom(notes)? Understood, considering where they find themselves against the dollar-for-dollar luxury tax. So the Heat isn't as concerned because just about all of its salaries come off the books after the coming season, when few are expected to be re-signed? Understood, as well. So why not make it work for all parties involved, including Odom, who certainly is worth more than the $5.9 million mid-level exception? Here's how: Work out a sign-and-trade agreement utilizing the expiring contract of Heat power forward Udonis Haslem(notes). For the Lakers, it provides a capable option for the power rotation behind Pau Gasol(notes) and Andrew Bynum(notes), one who is championship tested. And it still leaves the Lakers with Ron Artest(notes) and Luke Walton(notes) at small forward to fill in for that aspect of Odom's game. For Odom, it means being able to start a contract with the Heat at about $9 million, the figure he has been working with in his dealings with the Lakers. The difference is the Heat appears willing to guarantee more seasons."

Don Seeholzer, The Pioneer Press: "Nearly six weeks after the Timberwolves announced that Kevin McHale wouldn't return as coach, their search for a replacement is nearing its end. Team president of basketball operations David Kahn said Monday that he expects to conclude a second round of interviews today and hopes to have a new coach by next week. 'I would like this person to meet Glen,' Kahn said, referring to Wolves owner Glen Taylor, 'and I believe I can accomplish that early next week. I want to make certain that there's a comfort level there, and I believe we can have a coach by next week.' Kahn wouldn't say how many candidates received second interviews but insisted that everyone who did has a legitimate shot at the job. Kahn said he interviewed 14 candidates in the first round and commenced Round 2 on Saturday after returning from Spain the previous night."

Real GM: "The Bucks are interested in free-agent forward Hakim Warrick(notes), according to Sports Illustrated's Chris Mannix. Last week, the Grizzlies rescinded their qualifying offer to the forward in order to improve their cap position. 'Sources tell me Hakim Warrick could wind up in Milwaukee,' Mannix wrote on his Twitter page Tuesday night."

John Canzano, The Oregonian: "The Blazers are spending a lot of time spinning the [Andre] Miller signing into more than it really is. There was no talk of Plan B or C or D or E or F. Miller, 33, was built up on Tuesday as if he were the guy the Blazers zeroed in on all along. But we all know he was a fall-back plan behind the fall-back plan. There's no shame in telling Miller, who has a college degree and did post-graduate work in sociology, that the Blazers weren't so sure about him early in the free-agent period. He'd thrive, knowing that. Remember, this is a guy who arrived in Cleveland as a rookie and had a fan tell him, 'Welcome to Ohio, but we already have a point guard.' And Miller replaced Allen Iverson(notes) in Philadelphia and rallied around the fact that a faction of 76ers fans revolted over the move."

Frank Zicarelli, Toronto Sun: "The final piece of the puzzle that is the Raptors roster soon will be filled. Carlos Delfino's(notes) name has been linked more often than any other, but at this stage in the off-season it's of little consequence to a team that has been overhauled like no other in the franchise's history. Delfino remains the odds-on choice to rejoin the Raptors because the team can use it remaining exception, known as the Bird clause, to financially fit the swingman under the luxury tax threshold. Delfino's strengths are his ability to put the ball on the floor and attack the rim and to play both guard positions. But one has to wonder how minutes will get distributed if, as it's expected, the Argentine does resurface as a Raptor."

Bob Fortus, The Times-Picayune: "To Hornets General Manager Jeff Bower, Emeka Okafor(notes) will help the team in many ways. Okafor, the Hornets' new man in middle, was acquired Tuesday from the Charlotte Bobcats for Tyson Chandler(notes) in a trade of 26-year-old centers. Okafor brings the potential for consistent double-doubles, said Bower, who also mentioned Okafor's physical presence in the low post and shot-blocking ability. Besides all that, Okafor is signed through the 2013-2014 season. 'We feel we've added a piece to our program that we're going to have for a long time,' Bower said. 'We have a long-term option for our center position. I think it shows we are interested in improving and are interested in competing in the Western Conference, and we're willing to pay a price to do that.' Bower said he expects Okafor's scoring to increase with the Hornets. His low-post ability will get the attention of the defense, creating opportunities for teammates, Bower said, and Okafor's rebounding will help the Hornets start their fast break. Easy baskets will come as Okafor becomes familiar with Hornets All-Star point guard Chris Paul(notes)."

Mike Wells, The Indianapolis Star: "Somewhere Indiana Pacers coach Jim O'Brien was smiling. He has a player who shares some of his qualities. Point guard Earl Watson(notes) loves to practice and hates to lose. Those similarities should make Watson and O'Brien the perfect pair. [...] 'I feel he's the best [free agent point guard] out there,' Pacers president Larry Bird said. '[Allen] Iverson's out there, but for what we need, he's the best for us.' [...] 'I've always been a fan of Earl's,' O'Brien said. 'I think he is a hard-nosed kid. He defends in a very strong way. He makes good decisions offensively. He is a real good complement to the new guys we've brought to the team.'"

Michael Lee, The Washington Post: "I'm not sure what the Charlotte Bobcats are doing — dealing Emeka Okafor to New Orleans for Tyson Chandler — but I know for sure that the Washington Wizards had better hope that Lamar Odom is bluffing and is merely using his reported meeting with Miami's Pat Riley and Dwyane Wade(notes) as leverage to get a bigger contract from the Los Angeles Lakers. Because if Odom returns to the Heat next season, the Southeast Division will be the toughest division in the NBA from top to bottom. (The Southwest Division, with San Antonio, Dallas, New Orleans and Houston, once held that title, but with Houston losing Yao Ming(notes) for the year, that could change.) Odom could put the Heat back among the Eastern Conference elite, with his playmaking skills, athleticism and rebounding filling a huge hole for a team that struggled at both power forward and point guard last season. The Heat could solve two problems with one player. Since he already played with Wade, resurrected his career in his one season in Miami and maintains an offseason home there, it wouldn't be a difficult adjustment for him. And, if Riley can lure him with his charm and a simple check for the mid-level exception, it would be a major heist — and make the challenge of moving up the Eastern Conference ladder (heck, the Southeast Division ladder) even more difficult for the Wizards."

Frank Dell'Apa, The Boston Globe: "Gabe Pruitt has not had many chances to perform when it counts for the Celtics. And Pruitt, who has played 461 minutes in 62 games in two seasons, might not get another opportunity with the team. An NBA source confirmed yesterday the Celtics are attempting to trade Pruitt, whose option deadline is Friday. The Celtics are leaning toward not picking up Pruitt’s option, which would leave the guard free to sign with another team. Pruitt is unlikely to be used as part of a sign-and-trade deal involving Indiana guard Marquis Daniels(notes), since the Pacers have three point guards. A three-team trade involving Pruitt also is unlikely, a league source said."
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Suicide-lines-Nash-s-competitive-zeal-Haslem-f;_ylt=AmKA9WGwKlkl6ZK.8ePlJxy8vLYF?urn=nba,179455

Culburn369
07-30-2009, 09:37 AM
Here's the Phoenix Suns story in a nutshell:

ethan_cohen (http://www.phxsuns.net/member.php?u=65)
Hall Of Fame
http://www.phxsuns.net/images/ranks/halloffame.jpg

http://www.phxsuns.net/image.php?u=65&dateline=1198421148 (http://www.phxsuns.net/member.php?u=65)

http://www.phxsuns.net/ogenzen/reputation/reputation_pos.gif

http://www.phxsuns.net/images/icons/icon1.gif Re: News for July 20 - 26, 2009
Our salary for next year is sitting at $64 million with only Amundson as a free agent (assuming Amare is still around).

If we can dump Richardson for an expiring contract, that gets us down to $50 million. The 2010 cap is projected to be between $50 and $54 million. We have no flexibility, even if we miraculously dump J Rich.

The following year, if we have a resigned Amare (assuming 15-17 million) we'll have a roster of 8 signed guys taking up $45 million. Still no flexibility.

We can't become contenders through free agency. This idea that we're retooling to compete in a couple of years is fools gold. I agree that Amare's value is at the low point now. But we should resign him and trade him if we're serious about rebuilding.

What I don't think Sarver and Kerr get is that you can't build from the middle. There are only two ways to contend. You either organically grow your team from draft picks and veteran signings with patience and foresight, or you assemble a veteran team with little regard for money and put it all on the table.

We're stuck in no man's land. We aren't contention worthy and we have the salary and contracts of a contender. Until our front office decides that selling tickets isn't as important as winning, this won't change.