PDA

View Full Version : Which young team on the rise will break through first: Warriors or Zombie Sonics?

Findog
07-29-2009, 10:52 PM
Both teams have sucked ass for most of this decade. Both teams are young and have a nice collection of talent:

Golden State Warriors - Ellis, Biedrins, Jackson, Curry, Randolph, and of course, #1 option Dick Breath

Bennett City Hijackers - Durant, Green, Westbrook, Harden, Kristic.

I see both these squads in the 35 win range and being a year away from a playoff berth...but if everything broke right and they came together and jelled, one of these teams can challenge for a playoff spot and maybe sneak in this year as an 8th seed.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-29-2009, 10:55 PM
The Oklahoma City SeattleSloppySeconds might break through this year, GS has at least a year until it breaks through, assuming it ever does.

Findog
07-29-2009, 10:57 PM
The Oklahoma City SeattleSloppySeconds might break through this year, GS has at least a year until it breaks through, assuming it ever does.

Golden State is such a dysfunctional franchise, whereas Durant is emerging as a Duncan-like leader for the Zombie Sonics, and Presti knows what he is doing. They have cap space and a great young core. Of course, they're going to have to extend some of these guys when they come off their rookie contracts, so they'll need to plan carefully.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-29-2009, 11:02 PM
Golden State is such a dysfunctional franchise, whereas Durant is emerging as a Duncan-like leader for the Zombie Sonics, and Presti knows what he is doing. They have cap space and a great young core. Of course, they're going to have to extend some of these guys when they come off their rookie contracts, so they'll need to plan carefully.

Golden State is bound to fuck up when Steve Kerr dangled Amare to Nelson only asking for Stephen fuckin Curry in return, and Nelson rejected it because he's a one trick pony of a coach that only knows how to use certain players. I've said plenty of things about Amare but thank god Nelson made it his mission to "out-stupid" Kerr by rejecting a trade Kerr was extremely stupid to offer.

duncan228
07-29-2009, 11:04 PM
I like Durant a lot. I'm looking forward to watching his game grow.

Findog
07-29-2009, 11:06 PM
I like Durant a lot. I'm looking forward to watching his game grow.

So am I. He's the rare young player that wants to have a complete game and be a mentor/example for his teammates. There's a lot to like about him.

duncan228
07-29-2009, 11:19 PM
So am I. He's the rare young player that wants to have a complete game and be a mentor/example for his teammates. There's a lot to like about him.

My kind of player. :)

23LeBronJames23
07-29-2009, 11:22 PM
i think and i hope OKC Thunder. but you never know...

dirk4mvp
07-30-2009, 12:36 AM
Thunder, although I like the Warriors a lot more.

Assuming Chris Wallace stops having a fire sale, the Grizzlies will break through before the Warriors.

JamStone
07-30-2009, 02:49 AM
The better question is when Kevin Durant goes up for a shot against Anthony Randolph and God shuts down heaven, stop the universe, sit back and watch, what is his beverage of choice?

KSeal
07-30-2009, 03:05 AM
Thunder, although I like the Warriors a lot more.

Assuming Chris Wallace stops having a fire sale, the Grizzlies will break through before the Warriors.

And why would you ever assume that's going to stop. He's the worse GM ever, he'll fuck up whatever they get going in Memphis. Dude just traded for Zach Randolph for goodness sakes. That immediately means they'll be horrible for at least two more years.

mystargtr34
07-30-2009, 03:47 AM
And why would you ever assume that's going to stop. He's the worse GM ever, he'll fuck up whatever they get going in Memphis. Dude just traded for Zach Randolph for goodness sakes. That immediately means they'll be horrible for at least two more years.

That one move could almost single handedly set the franchise back a season. You have some really nice prospects to develop in Gasol, Gay, Mayo and even Conley, who all need the ball to be effective, yet they go out and get a proven inefficent ball stopper who plays no defense and doesnt pass the ball, who will probably take 12-15 shots per game.

So, since history and stats indicate Randolph doesnt improve your team in the wins column, the Griz will remain a 25-30 win team, and by doing so hinder the development of their future.

mystargtr34
07-30-2009, 03:59 AM
To answer the thread question, i would rather be in the Thunder's position, only because the personnel they have is probably more adept to suit a more traditional, winning style of basketball.

Guys like Beidrins, Monta and Curry will probably always be at their best in a running style of game, or in other words they're a little limited in the style they can play. Thats probably 3 of their 4 top prospects. Randolph on the other hand is alot like Durant, he will be a stud in any system you put him in, because he has the fundamentals + all the athleticism.

I think the Thunder's top prospects, Durant, Westbrook, Green and Harden, are more traditional position players, and multiple position players at that. Westbrook is probably more similar to Ellis, but i think hes still more of a PG than either Monta or Stephen Curry.

Westbrook < Ellis
Harden = Curry (I think Harden will be the better player but neither is proven)
Durant > Randolph
Green = Wright (Green has produced more but i think Wright's potential is a little greater)
Mullens < Beidrins (Obviously)

The Warriors may even have more young pure talent, but its close.

mystargtr34
07-30-2009, 04:01 AM
I forgot Ibaka and DJ White, who could both be something - especially Ibaka.

mystargtr34
07-30-2009, 04:02 AM
Damn, both teams are more stacked than i thought.

Good thread.

Chieflion
07-30-2009, 04:47 AM
To answer the thread question, i would rather be in the Thunder's position, only because the personnel they have is probably more adept to suit a more traditional, winning style of basketball.

Guys like Beidrins, Monta and Curry will probably always be at their best in a running style of game, or in other words they're a little limited in the style they can play. Thats probably 3 of their 4 top prospects. Randolph on the other hand is alot like Durant, he will be a stud in any system you put him in, because he has the fundamentals + all the athleticism.

I think the Thunder's top prospects, Durant, Westbrook, Green and Harden, are more traditional position players, and multiple position players at that. Westbrook is probably more similar to Ellis, but i think hes still more of a PG than either Monta or Stephen Curry.

Westbrook < Ellis
Harden = Curry (I think Harden will be the better player but neither is proven)
Durant > Randolph
Green = Wright (Green has produced more but i think Wright's potential is a little greater)
Mullens < Beidrins (Obviously)

The Warriors may even have more young pure talent, but its close.
Some parts which I disagree with.
Wright had 3 years to prove himself in the league already. He didnt prove anything. And the gap between Durant and Randolph is too large to make up for the difference of the rest of the Warriors. Ellis, on the other hand has caused problems for the franchise by reportedly saying things like don't draft another PG or I want out. Curry is technically not a SG. Think that is all.

sabar
07-30-2009, 05:05 AM
Has to be the Thunder. GS winning over Dallas is going to be their high point for years to come.

Bob Lanier
07-30-2009, 05:25 AM
Golden State will make the playoffs this season, given the collapse of the Suns and Rockets. But the Sonics are better positioned for the next few years.

mystargtr34
07-30-2009, 05:36 AM
Some parts which I disagree with.
Wright had 3 years to prove himself in the league already. He didnt prove anything. And the gap between Durant and Randolph is too large to make up for the difference of the rest of the Warriors. Ellis, on the other hand has caused problems for the franchise by reportedly saying things like don't draft another PG or I want out. Curry is technically not a SG. Think that is all.

Fair enough. About Wright, he was traded as a rookie to a GS team which was a playoff contender, and still thought they were last season until injuries derailed them. Jeff Green pretty much sucked for a top 5 pick for the most part of his rookie year - but was given ample playing time to develop and play through his struggles - something Wright didnt have the luxury of. Green has come on quite a bit since then, but i still dont think hes met the expectations of a top 5 draft pick.

I think my comparisons could have been better, i mixed them up between potential and actual production. If were going by actual production, than Jeff Green is the better player, but i still think Wright has alot to offer.

About Randolph, Durant is by far the better player, but then there is also an enormous difference between Biedrins and Mullens - i think that makes up alot of the difference...

pauls931
07-30-2009, 07:04 AM

You just made TlongII cry with that comment.

benefactor
07-30-2009, 08:32 AM
With other western powers in decline, I think the Thunder have a really good shot at that 8th seed this year. One thing is for sure...the Lakers can have the one seed if OKC is there at 8. No one wants to have to deal with them in the first round.