View Full Version : Rashad McCants to Dallas?

Phillip
07-30-2009, 08:30 AM
according to his twitter, he says he is hoping to sign with dallas shortly.

:wow

mavericks would have probably the best bench in the NBA

Barea
Terry
McCants
Thomas
Gooden

5 guys who are capable and explosive scorers, 4 of them being very good 3 point shooters.

Danny.Zhu
07-30-2009, 08:39 AM
Agreed.

sribb43
07-30-2009, 08:47 AM

Barea
Terry
McCants
Thomas
Gooden

5 guys who are capable and explosive scorers, 4 of them being very good 3 point shooters.

other than JET i wouldnt trust anyone of those guys in a playoff series. McCants, Thomas and Gooden are all "Me" type players and all 5 of those guys you listed arent hustle/dirty work players and are extremely limited defensively. To me the mavs bench if constructed like that would be end up being a mess

Duncanoypi
07-30-2009, 08:49 AM
agreed...5 guys who all wants the ball and all wants to shoot....

5 guys who also dont want to play defense....

Kindergarten Cop
07-30-2009, 08:51 AM
While I believe that Dallas' bench took a huge hit when it lost Bass, that does have the looks of a very solid bench.

Phillip
07-30-2009, 09:05 AM
other than JET i wouldnt trust anyone of those guys in a playoff series. McCants, Thomas and Gooden are all "Me" type players and all 5 of those guys you listed arent hustle/dirty work players and are extremely limited defensively. To me the mavs bench if constructed like that would be end up being a mess

???

Barea has proven he has some of the biggest balls on the team, and Thomas has also proven to hit big shots frequently.

Gooden is a very good rebounder, and while not being much of a shotblocker, he plays solid man defense.

Truth is, it's better to have explosive scorers off the bench, than to have guys who can defend and hustle, but cant score for crap. Remember George, Wright, Buckner, Croshere, Jones, and Hassell? Once those guys went into the game, the Mavs entire team stagnated on both ends, despite being "hustlers" and "defenders", and got their asses kicked by offensive minded teams such as the Warriors and Hornets.

On the other hand, remember Daniels, Stackhouse, Van Horn, and Harris coming off the Mavs bench? A group of scorers who at times were defensive liabilities, that kept the Mavs in the games when the stars went out, and helped them to a Finals. And they did it against several different types of teams (Memphis - balanced all around. Spurs - slow, fundamentally sound. Suns - high powered, fast paced offense)

I'd take capable scorers who have questonable hustle/defensive ability off the bench in a heartbeat before taking decent hustlers/defenders who cant score for shit.

and keep in mind, its not like the Mavs will be running Barea, Terry, McCants, Thomas, and Gooden at the same time. They get mixed in as the starters go out. And we already know the lineup that will finish games...

Kidd
Terry
Howard
Marion
Dirk

so whether you trust guys like Thomas, Gooden, or McCants in a big moment, wont really matter if they arent on the floor.

Defense off the bench isn't really that neccesary unless you have a crappy defensive starting unit. And the Mavs still have Ross who is also a very good and versatile defender whom they can bring off the bench as well.

Phillip
07-30-2009, 09:06 AM
agreed...5 guys who all wants the ball and all wants to shoot....

5 guys who also dont want to play defense....

If the spurs had a scorer or two off the bench, they might have lasted more than 5 games against Dallas. scoring off the bench is more important than defense off the bench.

Phillip
07-30-2009, 09:08 AM
how many great bench players in history are known for their defense? not many at all.

but almost every great bench player ever is known for being a hell of a scorer, because that is what is most important. when your offensive players arent hitting their shots, you want a guy to come off the bench, and hit shots to keep the flow going.

sribb43
07-30-2009, 09:17 AM
It not that there all scorers, to me its more of the type of player/personality that they bring to the floor. I dont mind Gooden or TT (considering it was for the vet min) but when you start bringing a bunch of guys that have bounced from team to team and have no sense of the "team" game it makes me worry...Yes they are all better scorers than Wright, George or Singleton but they doesnt make the mavs bench the best in the NBA. I want a bench with high IQ guys that are versitle and are focused to win. TT, Gooden and McCants are not those type of players

dickface
07-30-2009, 09:21 AM
I want a bench with high IQ guys that are versitle and are focused to win.

Who do you have in mind?

I'm usually very hard on the Mavs front office, but this offseason they've done about as good a job as you could have expected. Other that the Gortat debacle, they've done a great job.

Hops
07-30-2009, 09:24 AM
It not that there all scorers, to me its more of the type of player/personality that they bring to the floor. I dont mind Gooden or TT (considering it was for the vet min) but when you start bringing a bunch of guys that have bounced from team to team and have no sense of the "team" game it makes me worry...Yes they are all better scorers than Wright, George or Singleton but they doesnt make the mavs bench the best in the NBA. I want a bench with high IQ guys that are versitle and are focused to win. TT, Gooden and McCants are not those type of players

Exactly....Team Chemistry is very important in building a successful team

Phillip
07-30-2009, 09:25 AM
It not that there all scorers, to me it more of the type of player/personality that they bring to the floor. I dont mind Gooden or TT (considering it was for the vet min) but when you start bringing a bunch of guys that have bounced from team to team and have no sense of the "team" game it makes me worry...Yes they are all better scorers than Wright, George or Singleton but they doesnt make the mavs bench the best in the NBA. I want a bench with high IQ guys that are versitle and are focused to want to win. TT, Gooden and McCants are not those type of players

Where are you getting this idea that these guys are not team players?

Keep in mind, there is a difference between a player who teams are trying to get rid of because they are a negative influence on the team, as opposed to players who are middle of the pack, and tend to be good for trades. That has been more of the case with TT and Gooden, as opposed to being "me first" guys as you claim. These kinds of players are almost always floating around the league, often finding their way on to championship teams. Hell look at James Posey. He is a very good bench player and glue guy, who was a MAJOR part of the Heat and Celtics championships, yet hes constantly floating around. Why? Because his style of play, contract, and name, makes him good for trades.

Gooden was a major part of the Cavs success over the past few years. Tim Thomas has proven through his career that he can step in and score points on any given night, helping teams (as we all saw how he helped the suns, as us Mavs fans were scared shitless every time he shot the ball). And I'm not sure where the dislike for McCants comes from.

If this is the Mavs bench to begin the season, I'm happy as hell. It's possibly the best bench the Mavs have ever had.

Phillip
07-30-2009, 09:27 AM
Who do you have in mind?

I'm usually very hard on the Mavs front office, but this offseason they've done about as good a job as you could have expected. Other that the Gortat debacle, they've done a great job.

He must forget that the Lakers won with a bench of guys like Jordan Farmar, Sasha Vujacic, Devin Brown, and Puke Walton. :rolleyes

dickface
07-30-2009, 09:29 AM
Was Brandon Bass a "me-first" guy? Sure, he was a black hole on offense, but I don't think anyone ever classified him as a selfish player. Yet somehow Drew Gooden is?

Tim Thomas literally doesn't care enough to be selfish or a locker room cancer, and that's fine with me. Just hit 3's at a more consistent clip than Matt Carroll, and TT has done his job.

McCants had some issues at North Carolina but I haven't heard much about him in Minnesota.

sribb43
07-30-2009, 09:31 AM
Like ive said I dont mind having a few guys like that but Thomas, Gooden and McCants all on the same squad...spare me

jazzypimp
07-30-2009, 09:32 AM
Was Brandon Bass a "me-first" guy? Sure, he was a black hole on offense, but I don't think anyone ever classified him as a selfish player. Yet somehow Drew Gooden is?

Tim Thomas literally doesn't care enough to be selfish or a locker room cancer, and that's fine with me. Just hit a 3's at a more consistent clip than Matt Carroll, and TT has done his job.

McCants had some issues at North Carolina but I haven't heard much about him in Minnesota.

Dickface- I too enjoy watching the thunder!

Dr Cox
07-30-2009, 09:33 AM
should be interesting to watch,

very fun exciting 365 days in front of us

dickface
07-30-2009, 09:33 AM
Like ive said I dont mind having a few guys like that but Thomas, Gooden and McCants all on the same squad...spare me

guys like that? like what? you're classifying these guys as something that they're not.

Phillip
07-30-2009, 09:38 AM

that is a few guys like that. 3 to be exact. so why complain?

KidCongo
07-30-2009, 09:43 AM
Dallas is looking much stronger. I hope Marion actually tries for you guys, and Josh Howard plays his ass off in a contract year.

rjv
07-30-2009, 09:44 AM
mavs will be playing some serious small ball this year.

Findog
07-30-2009, 09:46 AM
Who do you have in mind?

+1. I don't even mind the Gortat thing. He would've solved a lot of problems, so it was worth taking a shot. Mavs have done well this summer given the art of the possible. Not every team has a Triple A Affiliate in Memphis like the Lakers do.

Spursfan092120
07-30-2009, 09:48 AM
I was kind of hoping the Spurs would pick him up.

BUMP
07-30-2009, 09:52 AM
a career 10 ppg scorer for likely our 8th option?

Thats serious depth right there

JamStone
07-30-2009, 09:54 AM
Decent enough pick-up. It's not like players like Manu Ginobili, James Posey, and Paul Millsap just fall out of the sky. Where are all these high basketball IQ, perfect teammates anyway? Ohhhh, they're already on teams.

Gooden and Thomas have their flaws, but neither is really that much of a blackhole on offense. Not being shy about shooting the ball doesn't mean it's all bad.

If McCants even signs with Dallas, he's going to be either the 11th or 12th man on the bench or a regular inactive player. I don't see what's wrong with bringing in a guy that can every once in a while drop 10 points in short minutes. And, the Mavs do have non-scoring role players off the bench as well, in Ryan Hollins and Quinton Ross.

I agree that Dallas has done a pretty solid job at trying to improve the team this off season with really not much to work with in terms of cap flexibility and the players that were available to them.

Shawn Marion, Gooden, Thomas, Beaubois, Ross, Humphries. Considering the Mavs only had the MLE to work with, that's a solid haul for the off season.

Spursfan092120
07-30-2009, 09:54 AM
a career 10 ppg scorer for likely our 8th option?

Thats serious depth right there
yeah it is...still need a little work on the 4/5 spot, but after the Bass/Gortat debacle, you guys are making a comeback. By the way, BUMPY...went to Cowboys camp yesterday...Romo was looking pretty good. And whoever the new #81 is on the Boys, he's fast as shit..and has good hands.

remingtonbo2001
07-30-2009, 10:20 AM
The Mavs are putting together a solid team. This obviously isn't the best squad on paper, but if healthy it's enough to make a push into the postseason. The ball is now in Carsile's court to produce.

SpursFan0728
07-30-2009, 10:23 AM
Wasn't he the guy that shot 0-14 in a game last season?

timtonymanurich
07-30-2009, 10:29 AM
Just another example of Mark Cuban trying to play catch-up to the Spurs off-season aquisitions. As wealthy as he is, the guy is STILL a few steps behind. Every sports writer that I've listened too say the same thing, that Shawn Marion isn't the same guy he was in PHX. All of his offensive stats are down, and he hasn't shot above 33% for 3 pt in 4 years!!
Marion + Artest + Wallace (Boston) = SABOTAGE!!
SPURS 2010 champs!

Findog
07-30-2009, 10:30 AM

Barea
Terry
McCants
Thomas
Gooden

http://twitter.com/Rashadsoze7

I can't find anything about going to Dallas

Findog
07-30-2009, 10:32 AM
Nevermind:

http://twitter.com/Rashadsoze7/status/2916178559

Yes I play.updated rosters put me as a free agent but I'm hoping to sign with dallas soon. That's where I would like to play

Phillip
07-30-2009, 10:34 AM
http://twitter.com/Rashadsoze7

I can't find anything about going to Dallas

http://www.dallasbasketball.com/fullColumn.php?id=1886

apparently he really wants to come, so if hes talking as if he will be signing soon, im sure there have been talks between them

spursfaninla
07-30-2009, 10:35 AM
Dallas will be interesting to watch, but I just don't see them winning it with marion as their pf.

Sorry, Marion is undersized for that position: see the Suns.

BUMP
07-30-2009, 10:39 AM
yeah it is...still need a little work on the 4/5 spot, but after the Bass/Gortat debacle, you guys are making a comeback. By the way, BUMPY...went to Cowboys camp yesterday...Romo was looking pretty good. And whoever the new #81 is on the Boys, he's fast as shit..and has good hands.

:tu

I believe that's Mike Jefferson. Did some research, Never been anything more than a practice squad player but with TO leaving, and the health issues of Austin/Crayton the WR position could be up for grabs after RW

Phillip
07-30-2009, 10:44 AM
Dallas will be interesting to watch, but I just don't see them winning it with marion as their pf.

Sorry, Marion is undersized for that position: see the Suns.

He's not the PF.

Dirk is.

Phillip
07-30-2009, 10:54 AM
Except Dirk is really an oversized shooting guard.

And Wilt Chamberlain is the most overrated player in sports history.

loveforthegame
07-30-2009, 11:17 AM
That would be a solid signing for the Mavs and help strengthen the bench. If he's signed the Mavs obviously have a trade in mind to clean up some of that clutter.

Spursfan092120
07-30-2009, 11:19 AM
:tu

I believe that's Mike Jefferson. Did some research, Never been anything more than a practice squad player but with TO leaving, and the health issues of Austin/Crayton the WR position could be up for grabs after RW
Well...if that's the case, dude looked phenomenal. Bennett looked great too...saw a lot of him...and both he AND Witten were running with the first unit. Wonder if that means anything for the upcoming season. Witten looked even bigger than last year...I got there early and sat in the front row, right by the field. Stanback looked really good too. Oh, and the Jones/Choice backfield was fast as shit..lol. Kitna got picked a couple of times..McGee has a cannon, and looked strong.

Phillip
07-30-2009, 11:27 AM
I was being serious about Dirk. Nelly used to run him at the 2/3 all the time in 2003.

Um, no. MAYBE at the 3 every once in a while, but he never did it with serious regularity and minutes. You're an idiot if you think that he was being ran there all the time. Bringing the ball up the court every now and then, and shooting long jumpers/3s doesn't mean you are playing at the 2/3.

Plus you don't want to get into an arguement about 60s basketball with me.

I was being serious about Wilt. And there is no argument. It was the worst era of basketball, making it easy for guys like Wilt and Russell look dominant.

LMAO @ Wilt, who according to you is the greatest player, athlete, human ever (yes even greater than Jesus or Tim Tebow), could only win 1 ring despite having such a stacked team.

Wilt is overrated out of this world. GFY

Spurs_210
07-30-2009, 11:45 AM
Romo was looking pretty good.
I hope so cause I can't take another year of him blowing big games. Still pissed off about the Steelers lost.

lotr1trekkie
07-30-2009, 11:46 AM
The Spurs could have resigned Gooden after the Jefferson trade, as a big. The FO obviously didn't like something about his game. They chose to sign Marcus Haislip. Same age, same height. I think it's more about attitude and willingness to play within the Spurs system. Assuming Mason is the starter at #2 the next 5 off the Spurs bench will be:

Ginobili
Hill
Finley/Haislip
DaBeast/Bonner
Ratliff/ Mahimni

Not ready to declare them the "best bench" just yet. It does seem to give Pop a 7 man bench depending on who the opponent is. Without Manu last season our bench was 2 1/2 players. We will continue to play "Spur's" ball. Is there such a thing as "Mav's' ball?

BUMP
07-30-2009, 11:48 AM
Not ready to declare them the "best bench" just yet.

You shouldn't because they're not even close

Dr Cox
07-30-2009, 11:54 AM
mavs do have a good bench, but still have nuthing down low, should be good if they stay healthy

BUMP
07-30-2009, 11:55 AM
The funny thing is that you could argue that Drew Gooden is the best post threat the Dallas Mavericks have ever had

IronMexican
07-30-2009, 12:02 PM
Solid pick-up if true. Mavs had a very good off-season. Props to Mark.

Phillip
07-30-2009, 12:04 PM
The Spurs could have resigned Gooden after the Jefferson trade, as a big. The FO obviously didn't like something about his game. They chose to sign Marcus Haislip. Same age, same height. I think it's more about attitude and willingness to play within the Spurs system. Assuming Mason is the starter at #2 the next 5 off the Spurs bench will be:

Ginobili
Hill
Finley/Haislip
DaBeast/Bonner
Ratliff/ Mahimni

Not ready to declare them the "best bench" just yet. It does seem to give Pop a 7 man bench depending on who the opponent is. Without Manu last season our bench was 2 1/2 players. We will continue to play "Spur's" ball. Is there such a thing as "Mav's' ball?

Bench is crap other than Manu, and MAYBE Hill. Blair is massively overrated by spurfans. Let him prove himself first. Mavs fans have reason to be excited about Beaubois, but no way are we putting him on the list just yet. He needs to prove himself. Finley and Ratliff both pretty much suck now.

IronMexican
07-30-2009, 12:07 PM
lol Raiders

lol Russell not being anointed starter yet.

lol having no QB!!!!!!

lol equals :lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

Russel will be the starter. No point in fooling yourself.

A Dolphin talking shit after one season? lol ed reed.

jacobdrj
07-30-2009, 12:10 PM
The funny thing is that you could argue that Drew Gooden is the best post threat the Dallas Mavericks have ever had

Corliss Williamson was the best post presence the Pistons have had since Bob Lainer, and there is nothing wrong with that... he and the coach (Carlisle) knew his strengths (offensive rebounding, scoring in the paint, defending Shaq) and weaknesses (passing black hole, no defense other than Shaq). It worked out so well that Corliss became 6th man of the year.

D-ROB 50
07-30-2009, 12:13 PM

Barea
Terry
McCants
Thomas
Gooden

If this is the best bench in the NBA then I like our chances. It's a good group, but I highly doubt they would ever play together at one time. If they did they better score alot because they are not going to stop anyone. Bench vs Bench I still feel that the Spurs have a more effective group.
-Hill will totally shut down Barrea no question. Defender/Scorer
-Ginobili vs Terry, No need to comment. Shooter/Slasher
-Finley vs McCants toss up Veteran Shooter
-Blair will totally destroy Gooden it's unfair. REBOUNDER 2nd chance pts.
-Hailslip and Thomas IDK From what I've seen on video I doubt TT can
even stay in front of him. Atheletic big who can hit the outside shot

As you can see our bench offers much more than scoring and Three point shooting it's an effective balance

Granted the MAVS are much improved at some spots than a year ago, the Spurs however, are much improved at all positions this year. Its shaping up to be one of the funest seasons to be a Spurs or mavs fan can't wait. Good Luck to you guys!

Spursfan092120
07-30-2009, 12:13 PM
lol Raiders

lol Russell not being anointed starter yet.

lol having no QB!!!!!!

lol equals :lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:
Where did this come from? The guy gives props to another team and you decide to insult his football team? Sand in the vagina much?

IronMexican
07-30-2009, 12:14 PM
Where did this come from? The guy gives props to another team and you decide to insult his football team? Sand in the vagina much?

Fuck colt mccoy. I was this close to breaking my controller. That exact play 20 times wont work on madden. McCoy wont outrun Taylor Mays in Madden 11.

Phillip
07-30-2009, 12:18 PM

Debating basketball... not your strong point.

Are you new to this?

Spursfan092120
07-30-2009, 12:19 PM
Fuck colt mccoy. I was this close to breaking my controller. That exact play 20 times wont work on madden. McCoy wont outrun Taylor Mays in Madden 11.
LMAO..aww..talking shit...Your QB was running the whole game...lol...I finally found coverage that worked and your ass was running all over the field with Corp..lol. I ran around a bit, sure..because you had me covered a couple of times...but don't go actin like you didn't run with the QB a lot more than me. :D I lead now, 2-1...

IronMexican
07-30-2009, 12:19 PM
If this is the best bench in the NBA then I like our chances. It's a good group, but I highly doubt they would ever play together at one time. If they did they better score alot because they are not going to stop anyone. Bench vs Bench I still feel that the Spurs have a more effective group.

As you can see our bench offers much more than scoring and Three point shooting it's an effective balance

Granted the MAVS are much improved at some spots than a year ago, the Spurs however, are much improved at all positions this year. Its shaping up to be one of the funest seasons to be a Spurs or mavs fan can't wait. Good Luck to you guys!

This was you're best line. It's how I knew you weren't serious.

Leetonidas
07-30-2009, 12:20 PM
McCants is a decent pickup. Tim Thomas is fucking done though.

Phillip
07-30-2009, 12:21 PM
This was you're best line. It's how I knew you weren't serious.

I'm still kinda dumbfounded that he thinks a guy who hasn't played a minute in the NBA will destory a proven near double double career guy, and a guy who hasnt played a minute since 2005 somehow wins his matchup against Tim Thomas because of a couple highlight vids he saw.

He has a lot to learn here. I'm trying to be nice to the noob.

IronMexican
07-30-2009, 12:27 PM
LMAO..aww..talking shit...Your QB was running the whole game...lol...I finally found coverage that worked and your ass was running all over the field with Corp..lol. I ran around a bit, sure..because you had me covered a couple of times...but don't go actin like you didn't run with the QB a lot more than me. :D I lead now, 2-1...

I ran cause you're DE's are like faster than my QB.

D-ROB 50
07-30-2009, 12:28 PM
Debating basketball... not your strong point.

Are you new to this?

Going with the the mavs line up presented that group offered nothing but scoring the group I put up offered more that was my point. I wasnt trashing the line-up just not the smartest group to be put together, Whats your take? Finley/ McCants Okay you got me there, but Finley is a decent role player. Blair hmmmm, I think he is the real deal. And no debating basketball ..... not my strongest point. I only have 200+ post. :hat

D-ROB 50
07-30-2009, 12:30 PM
I'm still kinda dumbfounded that he thinks a guy who hasn't played a minute in the NBA will destory a proven near double double career guy, and a guy who hasnt played a minute since 2005 somehow wins his matchup against Tim Thomas because of a couple highlight vids he saw.

He has a lot to learn here. I'm trying to be nice to the noob.
Thanks for trying.
Had they not drafted Blair, Gooden would probably still a spur.....says the noob.

Dunc n Dave
07-30-2009, 12:33 PM
McCants is the poster boy for volume shooters, shooting 39% FG last year.
However, I like the rest of the Mavs bench. Lots of fire power, but you still need another center.
Defense is still the issue for Dallas. Are they gonna cut a guy like Ross to make room for all these signings? He'll be more useful than you think.

Phillip
07-30-2009, 12:33 PM
Going with the the mavs line up presented that group offered nothing but scoring the group I put up offered more that was my point. I wasnt trashing the line-up just not the smartest group to be put together, Whats your take? Finley/ McCants Okay you got me there, but Finley is a decent role player. Blair hmmmm, I think he is the real deal. And no debating basketball ..... not my strongest point. I only have 200+ post. :hat

I don't think the Mavs plan on playing all 5 of their bench at the same time, just like the Spurs probably don't plan on playing all 5 of theirs either. Most teams don't do that period, unless its a blowout game. So comparing them in that sense is kinda dumb.

sribb43
07-30-2009, 12:34 PM
Damn, could Spurs fans overrate Blair and Haslip anymore

Phillip
07-30-2009, 12:35 PM
Thanks for trying.
Had they not drafted Blair, Gooden would probably still a spur.....says the noob.

I think it's because the Spurs needed to go younger, while the Mavs are currently in a win-now situation.

Doesn't mean Blair is better than Gooden. Just means the Spurs are more interested in developing a young guy, than keeping an older player around for another year.

DAF86
07-30-2009, 12:36 PM
I can't say for sure, because Blair is a rookie and Mahinmi is practically a rookie too. But if everything goes as I think it will, the Spurs bench will be better than the Mavs bench.

DAF86
07-30-2009, 12:37 PM
I think it's because the Spurs needed to go younger, while the Mavs are currently in a win-now situation.

Doesn't mean Blair is better than Gooden. Just means the Spurs are more interested in developing a young guy, than keeping an older player around for another year.

I doubt there's a team in the league with more of a "win now" attitude than the Spurs.

Phillip
07-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Correction, Wilt won 2 rings. The reason he didn't win more was because the Celtics had 3 or 4 hall of famers on any given team throughout the 60s plus a nice bench at all times, the 6ers and warriors on the other hand only had Wilt on their team and it was not until the 1967 team that the 6ers had a solid group of players around Wilt. Then when Wilt went to the Lakers they had a great top 3, but they didn't have any more depth past that. It was not until that 72 team that Wilt and West had better players around them.

Even Jordan didn't win anything against the stacked Celtics teams of the 80s. No single player can make a championship team and that was the problem with Wilt, KG, Alex English, Jordan's 80s teams, kobe in recent years before 08. All of those players were great but their cast was meh. Super man couldn't win a championship with only 2 other good players, he would need a top 7 at least.

And you can't say the 60s was the weakest era of basketball. The best players of today are throw backs to the 60s. From the 60s to the mid 70s the game was more fundamental. In order to be in the NBA you had to have had the whole package. Shooting, rebounding, passing, ball handling, defending. A great example is Don Nelson. He turned out to be a very good player, but before he got to the Celtics people said he would never be a good player in the NBA because he couldn't rebound. So basically Bill Russell told him "I'll take care of the rebounding you just do what you do." On any other team back then that would not have worked.

Look at Willis Reed. I would take him over most "star" forwards of today because Willis played an all around game. He could shoot he could pound it inside, he could put the ball on the ground and he was the leader on some of the smartest teams of all time.

Do you think 50 years from now people will look at today's game as being all that great? Sure the names of Jordan, Duncan, Shaq, Kobe, and LeBron will live on for a long time, but do you think even the semi-hard core fans in their 20s will remember Manu Ginobili, Amare, Rodman, Pippin or Gasol? I highly doubt it.

lol, greatest and most powerful living being in universal history only has 2 rings

Phillip
07-30-2009, 12:38 PM
I doubt there's a team in the league with more of a "win now" posture than the Spurs.

Dallas.

Because the Spurs have had too many old rotting corpses over the past few years.

Phillip
07-30-2009, 12:39 PM
I can't say for sure, because Blair is a rookie and Mahinmi is practically a rookie too. But if everything goes as I think it will, the Spurs bench will be better than the Mavs bench.

of course! you're a spurfan!

spurfans could add mark madsen to their team, and find ways to say that he would outplay Shawn Marion in a head-to-head matchup.

DAF86
07-30-2009, 12:59 PM
of course! you're a spurfan!

spurfans could add mark madsen to their team, and find ways to say that he would outplay Shawn Marion in a head-to-head matchup.

I consider myself a very objective poster. I said the last couple of season that we weren't the top contender to won it all. And if LA signs Odom I'll say the same this season.

The Spurs bench IMO will be:

Hill- Great young PG, very athletic, slasher, decent shooter and very good defender.
Manu- Best 6th man on the league. (If Not Mason, 42% 3pt shooter and clutch as hell)
Blair- I expect him to post numbers close to 6/8 pts per game and 6/8 rbds per game.
Mahinmi-a young 6'11'' guy with some offensive skills.

And if neither of this youngsters match the expectations we still have Bonner (I think he was the best three point shooter last season, if not one of the best), Ratliff (4th in all the league in blocks per 48 minutes) and Haislip who seems like a talented bigman that can shoot the 3 and a great shot blocker.

Phillip
07-30-2009, 01:20 PM
lol Mavericks with no rings.

lol steven a smith

dirk4mvp
07-30-2009, 01:24 PM
yes, please.

D-ROB 50
07-30-2009, 01:44 PM
[quote=Phillip;3598929

Gooden is a very good rebounder, and while not being much of a shotblocker, he plays solid man defense.

I would have to disagree here, Gooden is a liability on the defensive end. We thought the spurs would be able to disguise his defficiencies with team defense and he was still late on rotations and such. Man to man he did worse. Thats prob why he had no playing time in the Mavs series. Good aggressive rebounder....yup, but defensively he cant handle the bigs in the west.

Spursfan092120
07-30-2009, 01:48 PM
I ran cause you're DE's are like faster than my QB.
lol...that would be Sergio Kindle...keep an eye out for him this year. And my DE on the other side is strong, but slow, so I went with Keenan Robinson at the LB...lol...That's why Texas is so damn good at sacking the QB..

Phillip
07-30-2009, 01:57 PM
I would have to disagree here, Gooden is a liability on the defensive end. We thought the spurs would be able to disguise his defficiencies with team defense and he was still late on rotations and such. Man to man he did worse. Thats prob why he had no playing time in the Mavs series. Good aggressive rebounder....yup, but defensively he cant handle the bigs in the west.

First, learn how to quote.

When he was with the Cavs, he seemed to play some pretty decent defense.

It's not really fair to make a judgement like that just because of how he played in like 10 games with a new team.

D-ROB 50
07-30-2009, 02:08 PM
First, learn how to quote.

When he was with the Cavs, he seemed to play some pretty decent defense.

It's not really fair to make a judgement like that just because of how he played in like 10 games with a new team.

ohh,.... like this. Thanks for the tip. It's nothing new, thats been the knock on him for years, come on, Fabs out played him in the finals....FABs, well he probably just outsmarted him.

mavs>spurs2
07-30-2009, 02:43 PM
We have to have more moves in the works, there's no way we're going to sign a guy like Ross as a free agent only to bury him under 17 other players. Alot of these other contracts are going to be packaged together in other deals, book it.

Findog
07-30-2009, 02:53 PM
We have to have more moves in the works, there's no way we're going to sign a guy like Ross as a free agent only to bury him under 17 other players. Alot of these other contracts are going to be packaged together in other deals, book it.

Mavs currently have 19 players on their roster. If they don't resign Hollins and Singleton and stash BoiBoi and Nivins in the D-League/Europe, that gets them to 15.

mavs>spurs2
07-30-2009, 02:55 PM
Mavs currently have 19 players on their roster. If they don't resign Hollins and Singleton and stash BoiBoi and Nivins in the D-League/Europe, that gets them to 15.

Not resigning Hollins would be a mistake as long as we don't have a legit backup center

mingus
07-30-2009, 03:09 PM
the bench can definitely score, but they'll probably give up just as many points.

sribb43
07-30-2009, 03:23 PM
the bench can definitely score, but they'll probably give up just as many points.

well last year the bench couldnt score or defend so I guess its a positive

Phillip
07-30-2009, 03:34 PM
mavs > spurs

mavs>spurs2
07-30-2009, 04:33 PM
mavs > spurs

hi

intlspurshk
07-30-2009, 06:08 PM
^wait and see

Rogue
07-30-2009, 06:53 PM
If these dudes are all given up, then our roster list will contain the names like Buckner, Matt Caroll, Shawn Williams, and even Dampier despite the limited value he still has. Leaving alone Matt Caroll's outrageous contract, the rest guys are all on their contract year and should be pretty good assets to be used in trades. Hollins had better be re-signed for the long term plan, if Singleton accepts a 1 year minimum deal then he is also a nice option.

Ditty
07-30-2009, 07:02 PM
spurs>mavs

12>11

Findog
07-30-2009, 08:37 PM
OH, and per the Dallas Morning News, the Mavs have no plans to sign McCants, this is just wishful thinking on his part. We're paying Matt Carroll $5 million a year to suck, but they won't break out their BAE for McCants. WTF?

Spursfan092120
07-30-2009, 08:40 PM
OH, and per the Dallas Morning News, the Mavs have no plans to sign McCants, this is just wishful thinking on his part. We're paying Matt Carroll $5 million a year to suck, but they won't break out their BAE for McCants. WTF?
Hmm..thanks for the update, Findog...I'd really like it if the Spurs could pull this off, but I doubt it.