PDA

View Full Version : How big of a douche is John Hollinger?

Fdawg07
07-30-2009, 02:30 PM
Why does it always seem like John Hollinger is hatin on the Spurs?

Someone earlier today asked him this question on Chat (via ESPN)....

Have the Spurs become the odds on favorite to win not only the Western Conference but the NBA Title? I like what they've added with SF Richard Jefferson, PF DeJuan Blair, PF Antonio McDyess, and C Theo Ratliff.

and his reply...

Did you see Tim Duncan at the end of last season? His knees need to be OK for the Spurs to win big, and I have my doubts. Also, Manu's healthy isn't a given either. They're an old, battered team trying to prop the window open; those moves they made will really help, don't get me wrong, but I don't think it gets them to 60 wins.

Thoughts? Discuss!

Fdawg07
07-30-2009, 02:30 PM
Heres the link: http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/27639

z0sa
07-30-2009, 02:34 PM
he makes valid points. Are they old, tired and cliche points? Yes.

rjv
07-30-2009, 02:37 PM
hollinger is a number geek but his math is statistics only. give a team some injuries and he is at a loss for calculating in those variables. he knows nothing about the nature of the injuries though so he is at a loss for what to calculate when it comes to the spurs.

Greyberger
07-30-2009, 02:39 PM
Half the question is bringing up the new additions through free agency... I would actually like to hear what hollinger thinks but he ignored it

exstatic
07-30-2009, 02:40 PM
Hollinger is a dumbass. What the hell does 60 wins have to do with anything? IIRC, the Spurs have won 60 three times. In 95 they won 62, but lost in the WCFs. In 2003, they won exactly 60, and won the 'ship. In 2006, they won 63, but lost in the WCSFs. That's one championship in 3 tries at 60+ wins, and that came with the lowest 60+ total. Spur do better when they pace themselves and mesh during the season and win in the high 50s.

easjer
07-30-2009, 02:42 PM
Well, we have reason to be optimistic that the rest has resulted in healing for Manu and Tim and certainly, the expanded cast can only aid in limiting their minutes and the demand on them. But I would have to agree that the Spurs' chances are much lower without a healthy Tim or Manu.

So, John Hollinger is a giant douche, but not for saying that necessarily. It really is a wait and see proposition, much like LA's Artest/Ariza swap. It could be great, it could be awful. We won't know yet. His dismissive phraseology makes him a douche, but his central point is valid, at this time (it's also true for nearly every team with a super star - but we have greater concern in that they've been previously injured).

JamStone
He's a ginormous douche, but not for those comments. You might disagree with his opinion there, but he didn't come across as a douche for what he said.

SamoanTD
well then i guess nobody else gets 60 wins either

HarlemHeat37
07-30-2009, 02:44 PM
I don't really see anything wrong with what he said..

elbamba
07-30-2009, 02:44 PM
It really doesn't matter what he thinks. The man does not know or understand basketball. He should be limited to fantasy sports, but its ESPN so who really cares. Its like getting your news from FOX or MSNBC.

Muser
07-30-2009, 02:49 PM
Some people need to not get a sandy vag whenever someone says anything negative about the Spurs.

QuietDynasty
07-30-2009, 02:49 PM
Dumbass who can sum 1 + 1

cnyc3
07-30-2009, 02:55 PM
who cares? that's his opinion.

a lot of people here rags on cp3/lebron/kobe, does that make them douches? well it probably does, but u get the point.

phxspurfan
07-30-2009, 03:07 PM
Who cares about 60 wins? We may take 3/4 of the season to gain some chemistry. As long as the SPAM returns we are golden.

buttsR4rebounding
07-30-2009, 03:19 PM
Why does it always seem like John Hollinger is hatin on the Spurs?

Someone earlier today asked him this question on Chat (via ESPN)....

Have the Spurs become the odds on favorite to win not only the Western Conference but the NBA Title? I like what they've added with SF Richard Jefferson, PF DeJuan Blair, PF Antonio McDyess, and C Theo Ratliff.

and his reply...

Did you see Tim Duncan at the end of last season? His knees need to be OK for the Spurs to win big, and I have my doubts. Also, Manu's healthy isn't a given either. They're an old, battered team trying to prop the window open; those moves they made will really help, don't get me wrong, but I don't think it gets them to 60 wins.

Thoughts? Discuss!

Tim's knees need to be okay for the Spurs to win big...I agree.
Manu's health isn't a given...after the last 2 years who can argue that.
They are an old, battered team trying to prop the window open...maybe a slight disagreement since the Spurs have gotten considerably younger this year, but no question they are trying to prop the Duncan window open.
Don't get them to 60 wins...with the integration of all the new players, the likelihood that Pop will reduce Tim's, Manu's and I believe Tony's minutes this year in a conference w/ a number of really good teams I'd take 57 or 58 wins if they are playing good at the end of the year. That doesn't seem unreasonalbe. The question of the significance of 60 wins can be debated, of course.

So all in all, he seems pretty much on the money. Whey do you think he is a large vaginal wash?

antgomez2009
07-30-2009, 03:36 PM
Yea, his a douche bag! not for those comments but just an all around douche!
The Spurs are old and they were unhealthy for the most part last year, however, its a new year, and even though Gino was hurt, I could of sworn i saw him dunk on Armstrong from the Hornets pretty nasty last year!! so he still has that fire in him, and it aint going out until that champaign is poured all over him!!! As for Tim, that is why they also loaded up with bigs, to release some pressure off of tim, and get him help so he wont get banged up all by himself!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnrL1-UUxSY

The Lakers are clearly worried about one team this coming season, and it aint the mavs, blazers, Rockets or nuggets!!!

45 bank shot
07-30-2009, 03:37 PM
he got a point but he's still an idiot

2Cleva
07-30-2009, 03:38 PM
Hollinger has never been a fan of the Spurs. However, in their podcast Rick Bucher, Bill Simmons and Marc Stein all agreed that the Spurs would win the title.

Bucher said the Celtics, but only because Stein and Simmons both picked the Spurs first. He said it himself.

Only if LO wasn't in LA.

As for Hollinger, last we saw of Duncan he was dragging himself on the court during the playoffs and Ginobili didn't even last that long. And they are the 2 most important players on the Spurs.

Valid points by Hollinger and I can't stand him.

DaBears
07-30-2009, 03:39 PM
Hollinger is what was mentioned above statistics guy, he doesnt really know the sport that well on playing the actual game. Probably was the guy in the back who always would get picked up last, becuase there was no one else to choose from and the captins didnt see a girls around that wanted to play.

But really he has an opinion just like the rest of us. So what he didnt say anything great about the SPURS nor was it bad... But when you come to think of it John Hollinger doesnt come to mind when i think of a good journalist anyway.

antgomez2009
07-30-2009, 03:41 PM
hollinger is what was mentioned above statistics guy, he really know the sport that well on playing the actual game. Probably was the guy in the back who always would get picked up last, becuase there was no one else to choose from and the captins didnt see a girls around that wanted to play.

But really he has an opinion just like the rest of us. So what he didnt say anything great about the spurs nor was it bad... But when you come to think of it john hollinger doesnt come to mind when i think of a good journalist anyway.

+1

DaBears
07-30-2009, 03:54 PM
Trust me! when i say this and i think everyone will agree that Spurs have had plenty of praise this offseason and no one can dispute that..... I think they are either 2nd place in West this season maybe even tied for 1st, but who really cares as long as ESPN is in LAKER LAND they well get the majority of the limelight. Last time i checked 60 games does'nt equal a championship.

DaBears
07-30-2009, 03:57 PM
Ask the MAVS and CAVS if winning 60 games equals anything... Im sure we all know the answer to that...lol

rayray2k8
07-30-2009, 04:16 PM
I somewhat agree with him, but....
fuckahollinger :lol
He's a spurs hater, always and forever. I will be shocked the day he gives the spurs some props.
But the dude is a fucking stat nerd.

rayray2k8
07-30-2009, 04:16 PM
I somewhat agree with him, but....
fuckahollinger :lol
He's a spurs hater, always and forever. I will be shocked the day he gives the spurs some props.
But the dude is a fucking stat nerd.

manu_maniac
07-30-2009, 04:19 PM
Anyone can recognize that Duncan & Gino need to be in working order in order for us to win. He's an idiot for calling us an old battered team, and what team wouldn't try to stay in contention for the title if they were already in it? I don't see why he tosses in the 60 win bit in either, when we won 54 with an obviously less talented team. Is it really that hard to picture us winning 6 more games than last season?

iggypop123
07-30-2009, 04:25 PM
damn what did hollinger say that was offensive?

ambchang
07-30-2009, 04:29 PM
The Spurs chances all rest on Duncan's knee, that much is a given. At least with Ginobili, you MAY get some replacement production from Jefferson and Parker if both of them really step up, but if Duncan isn't at least close to reasonably healthy, the whole Spurs system breaks down.

Hopefully, the Spurs start off decently, and doesn't have to overplay Duncan late in the season.

If the Spurs can limit Duncan to around 30 mpg, Ginobili to 25-28, Parker to 32 or so, and let the young guns do their thing, then slowly ramp up the Big 3's minutes and work them towards longer minutes close to the playoffs, I like their chances.

Hollinger is fine, the Spurs are just not the kind of team that he should like. Number crunching tends to favour the offensive teams, because defensive statistics are less correlated to final results (think blocks and steals doesn't equal good defense, while a point is a point, and an assist leads to points). The Spurs, with their emphasis on defense the last decade, routinely over achieves and make them appear to him as "lucky" rather than really that good.

NRHector
07-30-2009, 04:29 PM
every season this idiot comes out with the same shit and then changes his story later in the season after the spurs get in the playoffs and never admits that his wrong, he is the biggest Douche, fuck him.

Lars
07-30-2009, 04:31 PM
Seems spot on to me.

Demo Dick Marcinko
07-30-2009, 04:33 PM
Guys, Hollinger has given the Spurs plenty of love in the past. Just so happens that there is a kernel of truth in what he's saying. Theo, Dice are getting a little bit long in the tooth. Tim, Manu and now Tony must be rested and completely healthy for us to beat the fakers. None of that can be refuted, he was just brutally honest in the way he answered. The following is better I think;

What would have been his best answer would have been the politicians answer: No, the Spurs should not be favored if any of their core players are injured or out of the series. Followed by a big BUT Yes the Spurs should be favored to win especially if L.O. is not in LA, if Lamar does resign with the fakers then it's a 60/40 deal still in favor of the retooled, new and improved industrial strenght San Antonio Spurs.

Mr Bones
07-30-2009, 04:35 PM
:lol I think what he's saying is pretty accurate. Some fans react to any analysis of their favorite team as if the sportswriter had just urinated on a photograph of their deceased grandmother! Nothing to get upset about. The Spurs are my favorite team too, but less face it-- if Duncan is playing at 70% in the playoffs next year because of knee problems, then, despite all of the great moves, the Spurs probably don't win a title.

sabar
07-30-2009, 04:45 PM
I'll wait for him to predict the Spurs miss the playoffs again

Fdawg07
07-30-2009, 05:37 PM
I guess this isnt the most douche-ish (new word) thing hes said but he doesnt have to make it sound like were not legit either.

Did you see Tim Duncan at the end of last season? His knees need to be OK for the Spurs to win big, and I have my doubts.

Yes, I saw Tim Duncan last year, he may not have had his best year, but its not like he was a 10-5 guy either. Kinda upsets me that he says "I have my doubts" about Duncan because I'm sure Duncan will be back, well rested. I cant wait for the season to start!

They're an old, battered team trying to prop the window open

Well, that arguments ALWAYS around. Kind of stupid to say it now with the addition of RJ (yes, he made us younger), Blair, Mahinmi, and others. I'm pretty sure were younger then we have been in the last few years.

those moves they made will really help, don't get me wrong, but I don't think it gets them to 60 wins.

Man im really upset that we won be able to win 60 games now! I guess we should just give up now and not even try! (sarcasm)

Mark in Austin
07-30-2009, 05:44 PM
Only if LO wasn't in LA.

As for Hollinger, last we saw of Duncan he was dragging himself on the court during the playoffs and Ginobili didn't even last that long. And they are the 2 most important players on the Spurs.

Valid points by Hollinger and I can't stand him.

yup. Telling the truth doesn't make you a douche. using overrated stats as your sole point of reasoning, on the other hand....

Fdawg07
07-30-2009, 05:45 PM
so..in the end...HOLLINGER IS A DOUCHE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im satisfied.

Mark in Austin
07-30-2009, 05:50 PM
Yes, I saw Tim Duncan last year, he may not have had his best year, but its not like he was a 10-5 guy either. Kinda upsets me that he says "I have my doubts" about Duncan because I'm sure Duncan will be back, well rested.

The doubts are legit. His condition is degenerative and the only known way to stop it is surgery. After it flared up he was a shell of his former self. Eric fucking Dampier was checking him without help in the first round.

Even with more rest this season, the odds aren't that great for Duncan entering the playoffs healthy.

DPG21920
07-30-2009, 07:21 PM
How many wins did he say the Spurs would get last year? Didn't he say they would miss the playoffs?

nbaman99
07-30-2009, 08:07 PM
nbaman99 John Hollinger lying through his teeth becuause he hate spurs. dude ur a lier and a women be a man and a good sports writer dont take sides
this is from my twitter.