PDA

View Full Version : SI: Memorable NBA Nicknames

bishopospurs
07-30-2009, 05:58 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0907/nba.nicknames/content.1.html?eref=sihp

So this link goes to a list of 38 nicknames that Sports Illustrated apparently likes enough to put on the website.
The list includes.
1. Jerry West
2. Earl Monroe
3. Pete Maravich
4. George Gervin
5. Julias Erving
6. Lloyd B. Free
7. Darryl Dawkins
8. Larry Bird
9. Magic Johnson
10. Dennis Rodman
11. Clyde Drexler
12. Robert Parrish
13. Wayne Rollins
14. Cedric Maxwell
15. Hakeem Olajuwon
16. Anthony Webb
17. Michael Jordan
18. Dominique Wilkins
19. Vernel Coles
20. Vinnie Johnson
21. Charles Barkley
22. Karl Malone
23. Larry Johnson
24. Shaquille O'neal
25. Kevin Garnett
26. Kobe Bryant
27. Allen Iverson
28. Gary Payton
29. Jerome Williams (this guy is seriously ugly)
30. Ronald Jones (so is he)
31. Shawn Marion
32. Dwayne Wade
33. Paul Pierce
34. Gilbert Arenas
35. Chris Anderson
36. Rafer Alston
37. Andrei Kirilenko
38. Glenn Davis

Someone please tell me how the two spurs most responsible for bringing championships to San Antonio with way over used nicknames fail to make this list??

lefty
07-30-2009, 06:03 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0907/nba.nicknames/content.1.html?eref=sihp

So this link goes to a list of 38 nicknames that Sports Illustrated apparently likes enough to put on the website.
The list includes.
1. Jerry West
2. Earl Monroe
3. Pete Maravich
4. George Gervin
5. Julias Erving
6. Lloyd B. Free
7. Darryl Dawkins
8. Larry Bird
9. Magic Johnson
10. Dennis Rodman
11. Clyde Drexler
12. Robert Parrish
13. Wayne Rollins
14. Cedric Maxwell
15. Hakeem Olajuwon
16. Anthony Webb
17. Michael Jordan
18. Dominique Wilkins
19. Vernel Coles
20. Vinnie Johnson
21. Charles Barkley
22. Karl Malone
23. Larry Johnson
24. Shaquille O'neal
25. Kevin Garnett
26. Kobe Bryant
27. Allen Iverson
28. Gary Payton
29. Jerome Williams (this guy is seriously ugly)
30. Ronald Jones (so is he)
31. Shawn Marion
32. Dwayne Wade
33. Paul Pierce
34. Gilbert Arenas
35. Chris Anderson
36. Rafer Alston
37. Andrei Kirilenko
38. Glenn Davis

Someone please tell me how the two spurs most responsible for bringing championships to San Antonio with way over used nicknames fail to make this list??

What are you talking about

Marion made the list

Rynospursfan
07-30-2009, 06:09 PM
Kobe is a little high and Robinson should have been there but overall I think it is a pretty good list.

Gino
07-30-2009, 06:14 PM
Umm....whats Duncan's way over-used nick-name?

Mr. Fundamental? Timmay?

I agree "The Admiral" needs to be on there.

Gino
07-30-2009, 06:15 PM
Kobe is a little high and Robinson should have been there but overall I think it is a pretty good list.

LOL!

Um..its in chronological order. This isnt a "Ranking".

duncan228
07-30-2009, 06:21 PM
Umm....whats Duncan's way over-used nick-name?

Mr. Fundamental? Timmay?

The Big Fundamental.

YoMamaIsCallin
07-30-2009, 06:28 PM
how could you not include the best, and most appropriate, nickname ever:

Marvin "Bad News" Barnes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Barnes)

bishopospurs
07-30-2009, 06:39 PM
I don't think it is chronological because Gary Payton is out of place. Tim Duncan's nickname is "The Big Fundamental"

Dro210
07-30-2009, 06:45 PM
The Admiral had to be an oversight... that's easily one of the best in basketball all-time

Tim's isn't really used much... I'd say Timmy is a more widely used nickname for him these days, and that's not really a nickname. Big Fundamental was kinda forced cause he didn't have one and it was the only one anybody had ever heard. Didn't Shaq or some legendary bigman from the past coin that one?

and definatly not in chronological order, there is ranking involved. "The Logo" is easily the best nick. in all sports. They got that one dead on.

duncan228
07-30-2009, 06:56 PM
Didn't Shaq or some legendary bigman from the past coin that one?

Shaq gave it to him.

Halberto
07-30-2009, 09:03 PM
how is Kobe on that list? "Black Mamba"? thats fuckin stupid

Stump
07-30-2009, 09:18 PM
Good idea, but a poorly made list

Nathan Explosion
07-30-2009, 10:36 PM
how is Kobe on that list? "Black Mamba"? thats fuckin stupid

To top it off, he stole it from Kill Bill and NEVER gave the movie credit.

That, and you can't give yourself a nickname. I've never referred to Kobe as Mamba because it's automatically disqualified as he picked it out himself.

Stringer_Bell
07-30-2009, 10:44 PM
In all the confusion over why Duncan and Robinson were left off the list, has anyone stopped to ask what the hell Shawn Marion's memorable nickname is? I've never heard it. Also, I don't even know who some of those players are. Hmm.

Samr
07-30-2009, 10:58 PM
In all the confusion over why Duncan and Robinson were left off the list, has anyone stopped to ask what the hell Shawn Marion's memorable nickname is? I've never heard it. Also, I don't even know who some of those players are. Hmm.

"The Matrix"... I believe it stems from his resemblance to Keanu Reeves, in that he has to be completely surrounded by stars in order to taste some semblance of success.

MADTOBY
07-31-2009, 07:57 AM
FINDOG, I like that for Finley

Texas_Ranger
07-31-2009, 07:59 AM
Where the fuck is the RED ROCKET!!!???

ambchang
07-31-2009, 08:08 AM
Trying to actually fill out the nicknames without going to the site, kinda like a quiz.

The list includes.
1. Jerry West - The Logo
2. Earl Monroe - The Pearl
3. Pete Maravich - Don't know, seriously.
4. George Gervin - Iceman
5. Julias Erving - Dr. J
6. Lloyd B. Free - World B.
7. Darryl Dawkins - Chocolate Thunder
8. Larry Bird - Larry Legend.
9. Magic Johnson - Magic
10. Dennis Rodman - The Worm
11. Clyde Drexler - The glide
12. Robert Parrish - Chief
13. Wayne Rollins - Tree
14. Cedric Maxwell - Cornbread?
15. Hakeem Olajuwon - The dream
16. Anthony Webb - Spud
17. Michael Jordan - Air
18. Dominique Wilkins - Human Highlight Film
19. Vernel Coles - Bimbo Coles?
20. Vinnie Johnson - Microwave
21. Charles Barkley - Round Mound of Rebound
22. Karl Malone - Mailman
23. Larry Johnson - Grandmama
24. Shaquille O'neal - Shaq
25. Kevin Garnett - The kid
26. Kobe Bryant - Black Mamba?
27. Allen Iverson - AI?
28. Gary Payton - The Glove
29. Jerome Williams (this guy is seriously ugly) - JYD
30. Ronald Jones (so is he) - This nickname is so widely used, I don't even know who Ronald Jones is
31. Shawn Marion - The Matrix
32. Dwayne Wade - Dwhistle?
33. Paul Pierce - Don't know
34. Gilbert Arenas - Agent Zero
35. Chris Anderson - Birdman
36. Rafer Alston - Skip to my Lou
37. Andrei Kirilenko - AK47
38. Glenn Davis - Big Baby

Hmmmm ... seems like I can't really get all of them.

polandprzem
07-31-2009, 08:15 AM
Pistol Pete

waly.mg
07-31-2009, 08:32 AM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$tern list

MoSpur
07-31-2009, 08:39 AM
Michael "Air" Jordan should be number one because he is #1. Back in the late 80's and throughout most of the 90's, all you would hear is "Air" this and "Air" that.

YoMamaIsCallin
07-31-2009, 09:34 AM
"The Matrix"... I believe it stems from his resemblance to Keanu Reeves, in that he has to be completely surrounded by stars in order to taste some semblance of success.

I know you're kidding but here's how he actually got it. Kenny Smith on TNT gave it to him because he thought Marion's moves were like Neo doing impossible things when he was in the Matrix, because he could operate outside the normal rules of physics.

MrFundamental
07-31-2009, 09:41 AM
Trying to actually fill out the nicknames without going to the site, kinda like a quiz.

Hmmmm ... seems like I can't really get all of them.

3. Pete Maravich - Pistol Pete
8. Larry Bird - (They have) The Hick from French Lick
24. Shaquille O'neal - (They have) The Big Diesel
26. Kobe Bryant - Black Mamba? (Yeah, really... :wow)
27. Allen Iverson - The Answer
32. Dwayne Wade - Flash
33. Paul Pierce - The Truth

Ya did good for not looking!

How they didn't get the Admiral on here or even The Big Fundamental, I have no idea. Shit, even El Contusion should be on here after looking at some of the ones they included.

wildbill2u
07-31-2009, 10:23 AM
Few if any ever called Jerry West the Logo. His most popular nickname was Zeke from Cabin Creek followed by Mr. Clutch.

hater
07-31-2009, 10:26 AM
where's Mr. Longoria??

ambchang
07-31-2009, 10:38 AM
Pistol Pete

Doh!
So ingrained that I didn't even think of it as a nickname, kinda like Magic. It actually took me a while to think of Magic's nickname, because I would not have thought of Earvin Johnson.

wildbill2u
07-31-2009, 10:42 AM
How could they leave out Maurice, the "Enforcer", Lucas. He was a 6'9" 215 lb guy who literally earned his nickname by beating the shit out of players on the court.

One of His two most famous 'hits' occurred with the Darryl Dawkins 7' plus 350 lb. Philly center in a playoff game where he ran down the court to protect a smaller teammate and took Dawkins out with one punch (to the back so it was nasty). Portland took courage from that and came back from being down in the series against a better Philly team to win.

I don't remember what caused the fight with Artis Gilmore. I imagine it was Lucas being his nasty self over and over in the game, but the gentle giant 7'5" Gilmore was considered perhaps the strongest player in the world right then. Lucas absorbed a series of blows while backing up until he saw an opening and BAM! A straight right tothe chin and Gilmore collapsed to the court in stages and was OUT. It was like watching one of those vids of a building being demolished.

They didn't dance around in the old days of pro basketball and every team had its enforcer. See Clyde Lovellete references back in the day. But Lucas was considered to be the meanest "Enforcer" ever and no one else that I know of ever carried that nickname as well or as appropriately.

easjer
07-31-2009, 10:52 AM

God, that made me choke on my water because I drank and snorted in laughter at the same time.

Hats off to that statement.

lil_penny
08-01-2009, 10:09 AM
Ak47 is the #1 in my books lol... he's seriously way too low on the list.

pjjrfan
08-01-2009, 11:35 AM
The Admiral, clyde Frazier, Tiny Nate Archibald, Jellybean Bryant, Wilt the Stilt(the big dipper), Hondo Havlicek, The big O, Man I could go on and on. Any of these before big baby or birdman, since all of these guys are either true basketball legends or hall of famers. Well Jellybean is Kobe's dad so he gets honorable mention in my book.

spursjustice
08-01-2009, 11:53 AM
To top it off, he stole it from Kill Bill and NEVER gave the movie credit.

That, and you can't give yourself a nickname. I've never referred to Kobe as Mamba because it's automatically disqualified as he picked it out himself.

True,the media tagged him as rapist for awhile :)

ShoogarBear
08-01-2009, 03:45 PM
If it's in chronological order, how the hell is "Larry Legend" ahead of Magic Johnson?

And how did they leave off "The Big Dipper" or "Wilt the Stilt"? Stupid nicknames, sure, but famous way before any of those.