PDA

View Full Version : My iPhone is shot.

Cry Havoc
07-30-2009, 11:49 PM
Okay, so it still turns on and works and stuff, but the home button (THE ONLY BUTTON ON THE FREAKING PHONE, aside from the power button) has ceased to function. This presents a number of problems for using the phone, as there is no other way to exit a program.

I updated from my 2.2.1 jailbroken phone to the 3.0 software hoping it would fix it. It didn't.

Props to Apple/AT&T though. I called them today, and after being on the phone with a tech for about 20 minutes (just enough to restore the phone and find out it really was broken) they agreed to send me a new iPhone 3G. Pretty sweet deal, even if it's a refurbished model I get back.

METALMiKE
07-31-2009, 12:45 AM
hopefully they don't see you jailbroke it and charge some stupid fee.

Cry Havoc
07-31-2009, 02:46 AM
hopefully they don't see you jailbroke it and charge some stupid fee.

Not when I wipe the hard drive before I send it in, they won't.

Dex
07-31-2009, 09:32 AM
Yeah, Apple won't give two shits about a software problem if the phone has been jailbroken, but if it's still happening after a fresh Restore, then it's most likely a hardware issue, which will be covered under the APP or Limited Warranty. Service strategy seems to be pretty good...as long you don't drop it in the toilet or something.

leemajors
07-31-2009, 09:47 AM
Yeah, Apple won't give two shits about a software problem if the phone has been jailbroken, but if it's still happening after a fresh Restore, then it's most likely a hardware issue, which will be covered under the APP or Limited Warranty. Service strategy seems to be pretty good...as long you don't drop it in the toilet or something.

I dropped mine in the toilet, literally. 16 hours in a bag of rice and I was back in action. I hated having something happen that I have to argue with people about all day though... :depressed

CH, return the defective phone as soon as possible.

Dex
07-31-2009, 12:22 PM
I dropped mine in the toilet, literally. 16 hours in a bag of rice and I was back in action. I hated having something happen that I have to argue with people about all day though... :depressed

Bummmer. I've had friends who have done it, or with other phones. It's like toilets are like the vortex to technical support.

Quit playing Tetris on the pot! :lol

Heath Ledger
08-02-2009, 08:47 PM
My iphone has been having major batter drain issues.

I had it charged up to 90 percent, used it for a few minutes looked down it was 40 percent then 18 i rebooted and it wouldnt power down. Ive since recharged it and pretty much the same shit.

Cry Havoc
08-02-2009, 10:07 PM
My iphone has been having major batter drain issues.

I had it charged up to 90 percent, used it for a few minutes looked down it was 40 percent then 18 i rebooted and it wouldnt power down. Ive since recharged it and pretty much the same shit.

How long have you had your phone? You could probably report a defective battery.

Heath Ledger
08-02-2009, 10:55 PM
It's a 3gs so I havent had it that long, about 7 or 10 days after they came out. Im going through a fully charged cycle right now after removing a bunch of shit from my phone that I installed to see if maybe it was a program or setting causing this.

Also Im wondering if the car charger i bought is the culprit, it has a bunch of Ipods listed including the Ipod touch but does not specifically list the Iphone.

ElNono
08-02-2009, 11:17 PM

FWIW, the iPhone has a water trip marker inside the phone. Shine a light into the headset plug and you should see a marking on your phone. Apple refuses to honor the warranty on devices that got flooded with water.

TDMVPDPOY
08-02-2009, 11:30 PM
i need a new phone also

any recommendations fellas?

Heath Ledger
08-02-2009, 11:50 PM
Palm pre or android are both pretty hot right now pre let's apps run in the background

TDMVPDPOY
08-03-2009, 12:17 AM
Palm pre or android are both pretty hot right now pre let's apps run in the background

wattabout samsung omni?

Heath Ledger
08-03-2009, 01:44 AM
Never heard of it they make great lcdd though

Cry Havoc
08-03-2009, 02:46 AM
wattabout samsung omni?

I'm still of the opinion that the finest domestically available phone is the one made by Apple. It is absolutely incredible how slick, intuitive, and well-executed the entire phone is.

The PDAnet tethering application alone via jailbreak makes it pretty tough to compete with, and it's a sweet media player in it's own right.

That said, the Omnia is a great phone. One of the better smart phones out there. Good camera, haptic feedback, etc.

leemajors
08-03-2009, 09:21 AM
FWIW, the iPhone has a water trip marker inside the phone. Shine a light into the headset plug and you should see a marking on your phone. Apple refuses to honor the warranty on devices that got flooded with water.

I am well aware of this, seeing as I work there :lol

ElNono
08-03-2009, 09:24 AM
i am well aware of this, seeing as i work there :lol

lol...

Xolotl
08-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Hey Havoc, I'm looking into an Iphone but I'm a complete noob with it. Can I jailbreak it to get the MMS and tethering support and still be with ATT?

PM5K
08-03-2009, 11:45 AM
MMS should be official in 3.1. As of right now it has to be jerry rigged to work. The tethering hack no longer works for me, I haven't tried PDANet or any of the other third party apps but they probably still work.

Cry Havoc
08-03-2009, 12:03 PM
Hey Havoc, I'm looking into an Iphone but I'm a complete noob with it. Can I jailbreak it to get the MMS and tethering support and still be with ATT?

MMS is available with version 3.0.

Tethering is available through Junefabrics program PDAnet, which is $30 for unlimited use. It does work with AT&T.

Cry Havoc
08-03-2009, 12:37 PM
The iPhone is a piece of shit, and so is your face.
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone

That page is so old and riddled with inaccuracies it's not even worth discussing. But congrats on buying into the hate of something just because it's popular.

The iPhone has the ability to customize ringtones from Mp3s. It can record video. It can send MMS. It has voice dialing (something I've never, ever used).

LOL that he says the iPhone "doesn't have instant messaging". Gee, really? Because I thought the iPhone had one of the most diverse, feature-rich array of IMing programs available to ANY phone. Oh wait, it DOES. That is the kind of statement that's so absurd it makes it readily apparent how much of a hater he is. The iPhone has been able to copy/paste for about a year now, if not longer.

lol... newb. Junefabrics = weak. What you should say is, if you look hard enough you can make your iphone a wifirouter and enable internet sharing (tethering) within the device w/o need for software.

Why? It's $30. $30 for an excellent program that does exactly what I want is something I'm willing to pay. It's simple, convenient, easy to use, and it's a one-time fee.

You can call me a newb all you want. There, does it feel better to hate something because it's popular? Has your ego been sufficiently stroked? :lol

leemajors
08-03-2009, 01:42 PM
I think I had that Nokia in 2004, it sucked.

Cry Havoc
08-03-2009, 01:50 PM
Let me also clarify: I think the gap between the quality of the iPhone and other smart phones (most notably Android phones) is shrinking relatively quickly. However, the iPhone is still the cleanest, most attractive (especially skinned with jailbreak), and among the fastest and most versatile phones available.

Xolotl
08-03-2009, 02:59 PM
MMS is available with version 3.0.

Tethering is available through Junefabrics program PDAnet, which is $30 for unlimited use. It does work with AT&T.

Thanks Havoc...I was under the impression that Jailbroken meant you had to use it on another carrier.

Cry Havoc
08-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Thanks Havoc...I was under the impression that Jailbroken meant you had to use it on another carrier.

No, that's unlocking.

Jailbroken simply means the phone is open to third party applications and programs.

Heath Ledger
08-03-2009, 05:18 PM
My tether hack still works, i have not upgraded to 3.0.1 yet though. only 3.0