PDA

View Full Version : To Bruno and other NT loyalists

Walton Buys Off Me
07-31-2009, 01:38 PM
Imagine you own a business.

Imagine you’ve just spent about 35 million dollars on your business.

Imagine that the 35 million will result in another 10 million of penalty. Your number is now at 45 million.

Imagine that you’ve spent this money because the window in your business is closing and it’s really your last chance to cash in on a great ride that is ending.

Imagine how your employees feel- excited, focused, determined, anxious.

Now imagine that your success and your employees’ morale and in essence your future is tied to the health and well-being of only 4 people.

Take that 45 million again and understand that you spent it because the aforementioned was not the case that year. You lost one. It cost you big time. Your competitors took advantage.

Now imagine 30 days after spending your 45 million, you get word that one those 4 pillars may have even the slightest of health concerns and that you are not in a position to even examine him being that he is out of the country.

What would your reaction be?

Bruno, I read your snide, sarcastic comments last night directed at my boy timvp. What confuses me is that you, like other NT loyalists seem to forget that above all, the NBA (the premier basketball league on the planet) is a business.

A recent poll suggested that 80% of NBA executives think economics first right now.

I understand that concept of National Pride. I understand your frustrations and how it may seem cold of the Spurs and Peter Holt to demand Tony Parker return to San Antonio for further examinations. I can even understand that their move appears very mysterious given someone of Parker’s stature.

What I think you should understand is that the San Antonio Spurs are one of 5 or 6 teams that are actually spending money in an economic climate that threatens their future survival. Even the Lakers are watching their budget today.

As a Spurs fan, I am extremely proud that our owner stood up when common sense said to sit down. Holt recognizes that our window is closing and he’s literally going for broke to win this team, this city, these fans, these players a few more titles.

In order to do that, you need your horses. Parker is our lead horse.

It’s an absolute no-brainer to pull him out of France because the result of not having him for any period next year means this entire summer would have been for not.

Again, imagine.

Imagine you are Holt- what would you have done?

sonic21
07-31-2009, 01:41 PM
cool story

z0sa
07-31-2009, 01:46 PM
common sense is wasted on this subject; the foreigners require their national hero to play for them, end of story.

MoSpur
07-31-2009, 01:46 PM
Good take

urunobili
07-31-2009, 01:55 PM
Imagine retiring in France after a wonderful professional career and never been able to lead your NT anywhere
Imagine all the Jersey's the Spurs sell in France but with a "Lakers" word instead
Imagine the message sent to kids that the professional team goes beyond France and National Pride
Imagine the French press getting in your ass all day for not having the balls to say no to your employer
Imagine TP coming back from winning the Euro Cup ( ala Manu post 04 gold) leading us to another championship
After you have accomplished EVERYTHING at the pro level the only thing that will secure (he already has great chances) his spot at the HOF is leading France to winning stuff.

I support TP on this one

vander
07-31-2009, 01:55 PM
even if you're a French Tony Parker Fan, wouldn't you rather see him win the NBA championship than the NT?
the NBA is the greater stage, wouldn't you want your hero to win on the greater stage?

nkdlunch
07-31-2009, 01:58 PM
I didn't read that, too long but, many ppl think: National pride > business (not that I agree with it)

Bruno
07-31-2009, 02:06 PM
Nos vies valent plus que leur profits.

DPG21920
07-31-2009, 02:08 PM
Than let France pay him so he can live this amazing lifestyle that very few get to live for playing a sport.

TP made this decision to chase money and his dream and fame, the Spurs did not force him to take a lucrative contract and he can quit if he wants to to appease his pride.

Kori Ellis
07-31-2009, 02:10 PM
Holt recognizes that our window is closing and he’s literally going for broke to win this team, this city, these fans, these players a few more titles.

In order to do that, you need your horses. Parker is our lead horse.
This is the most important part in this to me.

Holt has gone all out this summer when he didn't have to do so. When every owner is counting pennies, he went "all in." And though I understand Tony initially being mad... he will realize that the Spurs are trying to protect one of their most important assets. And this shows how much the Spurs value him. They want Tony Parker to be healthy and do what he can do to help bring this team another title.

If Tony comes home and his ankle is cleared as 100%, he'll go back to France. But you can't deny the Spurs wanting to him to come to SA to be checked. And obviously Manu's situation makes the Spurs be a little more overly cautious than they might have been in the past.

sonic21
07-31-2009, 02:12 PM
Money is the root of all evils

pppp
07-31-2009, 02:12 PM
even if you're a French Tony Parker Fan, wouldn't you rather see him win the NBA championship than the NT?
the NBA is the greater stage, wouldn't you want your hero to win on the greater stage?
I want him to win both.
NT is more important in others countries than in the US imo...
I prefer him wasting his ankles in a NT game than in a random pickup game

timaios
07-31-2009, 02:13 PM

Playing in the NBA is a job.
Playing for your national team is a great honor.

The greater stage for a european player is to be World Champion or Gold Medal in the Olympics.
And i think it's the same for American players. See the Dream Team with Jordan, Magic, Bird... And other teams like last year.

IF Parker had a bad injury he wouldn't play.

Parker is not my hero, i am a fan of the game of basketball : NBA, Euroleague and international competitions.

For me international competitions are the most intense to watch.
My greatest sport fan memories are when French football team became the World Champion in 1998.

Do you really want a futur without National Teams ?

DAF86
07-31-2009, 02:14 PM

Mmmh no, if you're a French Tony Parker fan you'd rather see him winning a championship with your NT team, for international fans, international competition is a greater stage than the NBA. Besides they have already saw Tony winning the NBA, they now want to see him winning something with France.

DPG21920
07-31-2009, 02:15 PM
What is with the people trying to get all philosophical? Tony Parker made this decision. You see plenty of guys like Spanoulis leaving the NBA to go play over seas for their country without the burdens of the NBA.

TP has that choice. By him accepting this contract he made the decision to do this.

nkdlunch
07-31-2009, 02:15 PM
yup, winning with your NT >>>>>>>>>> winning with a club team. please :rolleyes

Freeze
07-31-2009, 02:21 PM

Tony wants to win it all, ala Manu.
He knows his last chance to do well at the Olympics will be in 2012, when he'll be 30, and already planned to retire from French NT after 2012 to rest his body and remain on top as long as possible.

Kermit
07-31-2009, 02:23 PM
Nice WBOM.

Thompson
07-31-2009, 02:23 PM
When Mahinmi injured his ankle, a tiny piece of bone was practically invisible on the MRI. The operation to remove it (by the time they actually found it) required Ian to basically sit out the rest of the season.

The Spurs want to be extremely careful with Tony. They'll check him very closely themselves (trust but verify) to make sure even competent doctors don't miss anything. In the unlikely event that something is found, they can fix it now so he'll be ready for the season. If he checks out, he goes back to play with his national team.

This is not that big of a deal, the French media sound like they're trying to stir something up.

Kermit
07-31-2009, 02:25 PM
This is not that big of a deal, the French media sound like they're trying to stir something up.

/Lance Armstong'd

Thompson
07-31-2009, 02:33 PM
/Lance Armstong'd

In the land of the French, the man with one testicle is king.

Bruno
07-31-2009, 02:36 PM

No, articles about Parker leaving are just transcript of what the NT staff say.

vander
07-31-2009, 02:44 PM

absolutely!

Nations don't really signify any kind of homogeneous group of people anymore, there's probably just as many French people born into other countries as in France.

we live in an increasingly borderless world, National sports just isn't applicable anymore, who cares where a great basketball or soccer player was born?

The greatest sport known to man (Football) doesn't have any National Tournament, and that's one of the many many reasons it is the greatest sport, there's one stage, one league where the great players of the world all go to compete.

DAF86
07-31-2009, 02:47 PM
The greatest sport known to man (Football) doesn't have any National Tournament, and that's one of the many many reasons it is the greatest sport, there's one stage, one league where the great players of the world all go to compete.

Yes it has, its called the "FIFA world cup" and it's the most lucrative sport event in the world.

z0sa
07-31-2009, 02:48 PM
absolutely!

Nations don't really signify any kind of homogeneous group of people anymore, there's probably just as many French people born into other countries as in France.

we live in an increasingly borderless world, National sports just isn't applicable anymore, who cares where a great basketball or soccer player was born?

what a great fucking post. Props.

vander
07-31-2009, 02:49 PM
Yes it has, its called the "FIFA world cup" and it's the most lucrative sport event in the world.

Football not futbol/soccer

futbol/soccer is the least of sports :lol

timaios
07-31-2009, 02:50 PM

I think he's talking about fake football : American Football.

DAF86
07-31-2009, 02:53 PM
Football not futbol/soccer

futbol/soccer is the least of sports :lol

I know what you meant, I'm just stating the fact that the greatest sport known to man is football (or soccer for you).

urunobili
07-31-2009, 02:53 PM
absolutely!

Where is my green card? :depressed

MB20
07-31-2009, 02:54 PM
yup, winning with your NT >>>>>>>>>> winning with a club team.

Absolutely. No doubt in my mind.

Balance
07-31-2009, 03:00 PM

That's your opinion. I don't like what you call football (not soccer). It might be the greatest sport in US, but nobody (well, maybe somebody) cares about it in Brazil, for example. And you probably don't like what I call football (soccer), but it is very popular in a lot of countries. And because it's popular world wide, the international tournaments are a very big deal.

You may never understand the rivalry between two NT (like Brazil and Argentina in soccer) because it isn't part of your culture.

nkdlunch
07-31-2009, 03:02 PM
LOL at Football being the greatest sport known to man

vander
07-31-2009, 03:05 PM
I know what you meant, I'm just stating the fact that the greatest sport known to man is football (or soccer for you).

most played does not equal greatest.

the reason futbol/soccer is so popular in most of the world is because of how easy and cheap it is for kids in poor countries to set up a game. all it takes is 4 objects to represent the goals and a round ball of some sort, and bam! the kids are playing soccer in the streets, growing up with soccer, and becoming fans of soccer.

the other, superior sports like Football, Basketball, and maybe Baseball, require much more specific equipment that make them cost-prohibitive for much of the world.

also tradition keeps soccer popular, you play and become a fan of what your father and grandfather played and were fans of.

American Football is so much more complex, each game so different from another, each coach's strategy so different, each team ... there is almost an infinite number of ways you could approach winning the game of Football when starting from scratch... but I'm getting a little off topic here

American Football = Chess
Futbol/Soccer = Checkers :p::lol

MB20
07-31-2009, 03:08 PM
the reason futbol/soccer is so popular in most of the world is because of how easy and cheap it is for kids in poor countries to set up a game.

Isn´t that enough reason to call it the best sport?
A sport where rich and poor have equal chances? :toast

NicolasBatum
07-31-2009, 03:11 PM
Imagine Barcelona 92 and the Bulls say : NO!!! Mike is too important for us...

nkdlunch
07-31-2009, 03:12 PM
Imagine Barcelona 92 and the Bulls say : NO!!! Mike is too important for us...

the US would have still assfucked the competition

Balance
07-31-2009, 03:15 PM
I agree that the players have to evaluate carefully the risks before deciding to play for the NT. But it doesn't mean that a national league is more important than international tournaments just because, in this particular sport, a given NT is dominant.

USA team may win it all, but I don't care if my country can't win the gold, I want them to beat Argentina for the silver! :p:
(no, I'm not seriously comparing the two NT, just trying to make a point)

urunobili
07-31-2009, 03:33 PM
LOL FIFA world cup final TV viewers is 300% more than the Super Bowl... :lol vander stop embarrassing yourself please...

vander
07-31-2009, 03:35 PM
Isn´t that enough reason to call it the best sport?
A sport where rich and poor have equal chances? :toast

that's one way to judge a sport.
I prefer to judge a sport by how much strategy and diversity of strategy it encompass, and how much training and focus and muscle memory is required of it's athletes.
I don't like Baseball, but I respect it greatly because Baseball skills are almost all trained for and earned, rather then God-given, or at least much more-so than other major sports.

Soccer has very little strategy and diversity of strategy, every team pretty much tries to do the same thing to win, and the skill set of any player is hardly distinguishable from another at the same position, there just isn't much there, it's the same thing every time, like checkers! :lol and even the amazing amount of ball control and juggling skill many soccer players have hardly ever gets used in a game, I watched all those Nike videos of Ronaldinho , but what did any of that ever amount to?

Basketball too though, you have a guy like Dwight Howard, who has almost no basketball skills, yet can dominate the sport, that reflects poorly on Basketball IMO. If I didn't love to play basketball so much, and if not for the way the 90's Spurs, DROB, AJ, Elliott, distinguished themselves from the league with their class and counter-NBA-culture, continued by TD, I would never watch or follow basketball. tough break for you guys right? :lol

DAF86
07-31-2009, 03:39 PM
Soccer has very little strategy and diversity of strategy, every team pretty much tries to do the same thing to win, and the skill set of any player is hardly distinguishable from another at the same position, there just isn't much there, it's the same thing every time, like checkers! :lol and even the amazing amount of ball control and juggling skill many soccer players have hardly ever gets used in a game, I watched all those Nike videos of Ronaldinho , but what did any of that ever amount to?

If you don't like football is cool, but please don't try to analyse it when you haven't even watch an entire game in your life. You ddon't know what you're talking about here, and it shows.

vander
07-31-2009, 03:39 PM
LOL FIFA world cup final TV viewers is 300% more than the Super Bowl... :lol vander stop embarrassing yourself please...

where did I say that Football was more popular?

also 300% once every 4 years, so... what would the math on that be? 75%? :toast
and that's with Football, a mere business of a mere one country, going against the national pride of all the soccer playing countries. FIFA should get 3000% the ratings!

nkdlunch
07-31-2009, 03:40 PM

you are one ignorant mofo. sad, really

galvatron3000
07-31-2009, 03:40 PM
we can always trade parker for an American pg, (only Chris Paul) who doesn't have to worry about playing for his country because there are plenty of other guys to take his place.

lol...love ya Tony but hey man...if you wanna play for France I understand but remember this is business and with Timmy's window closing we going all in these last few years. I'd take Paul if it's a problem but I know this is just my ranting...

in2deep
07-31-2009, 03:43 PM
we can always trade parker for an American pg, (only Chris Paul) who doesn't have to worry about playing for his country because there are plenty of other guys to take his place.

lol...love ya Tony but hey man...if you wanna play for France I understand but remember this is business and with Timmy's window closing we going all in these last few years. I'd take Paul if it's a problem but I know this is just my ranting...

dumb. :rolleyes

#1 CP3 did play for his country and will probably play again.
#2 Trade of Parker for CP3 only would happen in your imagination.

timaios
07-31-2009, 03:45 PM

Paul is playing for team USA. Maybe not this year but in 2008 and certainly in 2010 for World Championship.

urunobili
07-31-2009, 03:46 PM
where did I say that Football was more popular?

also 300% once every 4 years, so... what would the math on that be? 75%? :toast
and that's with Football, a mere business of a mere one country, going against the national pride of all the soccer playing countries. FIFA should get 3000% the ratings!

1. 2006 World Cup Final (300 million viewers)
2. Euro 2004 Soccer Final (153 million viewers)
3. 2004 Olympic Games: opening ceremony (127 million viewers)
4. 2004 Olympic Games: closing ceremony (96 million viewers)
5. 2004 Super Bowl (95 million viewers)
6. 2004 Olympic Games: men's 100m metres (87 million viewers)
7. 2003 Champions League (67 million viewers)
8. 2004 Olympic Games: men's 200m freestyle swimming (66 million viewers)
9. 2004 Formula One: Monaco Grand Prix (59 million viewers)
10. 2004 Basketball: NBA finals (25 million viewers)

vander
07-31-2009, 03:48 PM
you are one ignorant mofo. sad, really

I'm open to learning, give me the name of some players who play their position drastically different and I will make an effort to watch them and learn.

meanwhile you can

compare marion barber or micheal turner to a darren sproles or a marshal faulk

compare Wes Welker to Heinz Ward to Fitzjgrald to Boldin,

compare Demarcus Ware to Shawne Merriman

Romo to Pennington to Manning

and on and on...

vander
07-31-2009, 03:51 PM
If you don't like football is cool, but please don't try to analyse it when you haven't even watch an entire game in your life. You ddon't know what you're talking about here, and it shows.

I've watched a lot of Soccer, my Dad and Grandfather were avid soccer fans, and most of my extended family likes soccer.

vander
07-31-2009, 03:52 PM

you said that already

Balance
07-31-2009, 03:54 PM

It's not about where the player was born, but what team do you root for. There're a lot of people who are Spurs fans just because they're born in San Antonio. Who cares if the players came from Virgin Islands, Argentina or France?
But the french player might be a french fan.
A player who was born in LA, what team do you think he would like to play for? In the end, he might play for the Celtics, but I'm sure he would choose Lakers if he had the chance.

If the french player can play for his NT, why wouldn't he take the chance?

that's one way to judge a sport.
I prefer to judge a sport by how much strategy and diversity of strategy it encompass, and how much training and focus and muscle memory is required of it's athletes.

Would football be "less great" if more people in the rest of world like it?

in2deep
07-31-2009, 03:55 PM
I'm open to learning, give me the name of some players who play their position drastically different and I will make an effort to watch them and learn.

every position on the soccer field is drastically different and has different strategy. Every country has different strategy. Soccer is as much a chessgame as basketball or football. Just because they don't draw up every single play and stop the action for every damn play(what I hate about Football), does not mean there is no strategy. :bang

they only thing Football is more similar to chess is because action is stopped for every single play. Boring.

DAF86
07-31-2009, 03:55 PM

meanwhile you can

compare marion barber or micheal turner to a darren sproles or a marshal faulk

compare Wes Welker to Heinz Ward to Fitzjgrald to Boldin,

compare Demarcus Ware to Shawne Merriman

Romo to Pennington to Manning

and on and on...

KZnUr8lcqjo yObIYDOv1Qc

Messi and Ibrahimovic are forwards but their styles are very different. Messi is more of a playmaker with a lot of skill and speed while Ibrahimovic is scorer that relies more on power and strength.

DisAsTerBot
07-31-2009, 03:59 PM

the reason futbol/soccer is so popular in most of the world is because of how easy and cheap it is for kids in poor countries to set up a game. all it takes is 4 objects to represent the goals and a round ball of some sort, and bam! the kids are playing soccer in the streets, growing up with soccer, and becoming fans of soccer.

the other, superior sports like Football, Basketball, and maybe Baseball, require much more specific equipment that make them cost-prohibitive for much of the world.

american football is better because the equipment costs more... :rolleyes

Marcus Bryant
07-31-2009, 03:59 PM
All we need is for Parker to leave in 2011 and we won't have to worry about this anymore.

/thread.

Mr Bones
07-31-2009, 04:00 PM
It's easy to see how nationalism almost always creeps into these debates when a thread about Tony Parker playing for the French NT becomes a discussion about whether or not soccer actually involves strategy and/or skill. :lol

I still can't help thinking that if Parker had sprained his ankle in a pick up game in San Antonio that there'd be a lot less emotion and anger over it.

vander
07-31-2009, 04:06 PM
american football is better because the equipment costs more... :rolleyes

I was explaining the popularity of soccer, not the greatness of Football there :toast

sabar
07-31-2009, 04:20 PM
You're all retards. The greatest sport known to man is basketball.

ohmwrecker
07-31-2009, 04:22 PM
This is still a basketball forum, right?

in2deep
07-31-2009, 04:25 PM
yObIYDOv1Qc

Messi and Ibrahimovic are forwards but their styles are very different. Messi is more of a playmaker with a lot of skill and speed while Ibrahimovic is scorer that relies more on power and strength.

:wow

that Ibrahimovic is UNBELEIVABLE!

DAF86
07-31-2009, 04:27 PM
:wow

that Ibrahimovic is UNBELEIVABLE!

Messi is better :hat

EricB
07-31-2009, 04:28 PM
When you eurofucktards are done with your soccer is better than football dick size competition BS and willing to discuss basketball let us know.

Till then,

Holt is 100% in the right on this one.

DAF86
07-31-2009, 04:38 PM
When you eurofucktards are done with your soccer is better than football dick size competition BS and willing to discuss basketball let us know.

Till then,

Holt is 100% in the right on this one.

You seem like a cool dude, wanna be my friend?

stéphane
07-31-2009, 04:42 PM
Olympic gold medal >>> NBA ship

EricB
07-31-2009, 04:44 PM
Olympic gold medal >>> NBA ship

awesome, lets see France pay for his many houses with that "gold medal" then since its more important than the NBA.

angel_luv
07-31-2009, 04:46 PM
If it were not for the specific players currently competing in the NBA that I am a fan of, I could easily move to Europe ( Slovenia especially), root for a National team there and not miss the NBA.

On the whole, I enjoy the olympics/ international competition a great deal more than I relish the nba finals- exciting as those are when a team I like is in them.

kobyz
07-31-2009, 04:46 PM
Football is great sport, it's a simple game but very enjoyable to play and to watch.
American Football is pathetic, it's 90% violence and 10% sport.

ohmwrecker
07-31-2009, 04:47 PM
France is not going to win an Olympic gold medal anyway.

stéphane
07-31-2009, 04:49 PM
awesome, lets see France pay for his many houses with that "gold medal" then since its more important than the NBA.

you never got it and never will.
Manu's play in the olympics to get the gold will stay in argentinian memories (and in mine) way longer than his splendid performance in the 05 finals. Now call me a fake spurs fan all you want or a nationalist if that pleases you.

Balance
07-31-2009, 04:49 PM

Olympic medal is more important to the fans. If a player doesn't care about it, he doesn't play for the NT, the end. But apparently most players do care.
National pride is not something easy to explain, you feel it or you don't.

Bruno
07-31-2009, 04:55 PM
EricB doesn't like me. :depressed

stéphane
07-31-2009, 04:56 PM

That's TPark for you :lol

Mr Bones
07-31-2009, 05:14 PM
It's easy to see how nationalism almost always creeps into these debates when a thread about Tony Parker playing for the French NT becomes a discussion about whether or not soccer actually involves strategy and/or skill. :lol

I still can't help thinking that if Parker had sprained his ankle in a pick up game in San Antonio that there'd be a lot less emotion and anger over it.

:lol

galvatron3000
07-31-2009, 05:57 PM
dumb. :rolleyes

#1 CP3 did play for his country and will probably play again.
#2 Trade of Parker for CP3 only would happen in your imagination.

it's only dumb that you responded, I know it's not going to happen or realistic which is why I said it and he is not playing this summer so the potential for him getting injured is not related to USA ball. I said that also in less words. You cats cry too much and fail to read for understanding. There was nothing serious in my post which is basically what I said also. :wow

galvatron3000
07-31-2009, 05:59 PM
Paul is playing for team USA. Maybe not this year but in 2008 and certainly in 2010 for World Championship.

they making a run for the 2009 championship but again it was ranting and all in fun...:p:

Cry Havoc
07-31-2009, 06:36 PM
Imagine retiring in France after a wonderful professional career and never been able to lead your NT anywhere
Imagine all the Jersey's the Spurs sell in France but with a "Lakers" word instead
Imagine the message sent to kids that the professional team goes beyond France and National Pride
Imagine the French press getting in your ass all day for not having the balls to say no to your employer
Imagine TP coming back from winning the Euro Cup ( ala Manu post 04 gold) leading us to another championship
After you have accomplished EVERYTHING at the pro level the only thing that will secure (he already has great chances) his spot at the HOF is leading France to winning stuff.

I support TP on this one

Imagine a doctor stating that an injury isn't serious in hopes that the player will play for the NT to win the title.

Imagine the player re-injuring the ankle and ending his career 10 years too early because national pride got in the way of common sense.

GSH
07-31-2009, 06:47 PM
He, and the rest of the French NT trolls, are products of their environment. French employment law got totally out of hand, and the employees had/have so many guarantees that companies have a hard time doing business. It has fucked up their economy in so many ways it would take an entire book to describe them all. And any attempt at employment law reform is resisted by the people who benefit from it most - the workers with entitlements. Those big riots a couple of years ago? The government had the audacity to say that a company could fire a slacking, worthless 19-year-old, without paying him to go away.

The French are used to the idea that the employees run the fucking show. They're never going to listen to any argument that considers the employers status, or ability to make a profit. That's the beauty of socialism - it gets around all those harsh realities.

So forget about any argument that makes sense to you, or most other people here. They literally won't recognize it.

Taking it to the Hole
07-31-2009, 06:53 PM
Well seeing as how globalization is the rage in the business world, eventually the sport of basketball may become completely global where FIBA and the NBA merge. Then won't that make everyone happy? No more having to worry about international play because there would only be one league, the GBA , Global Basketball Association.:p:

Brazil
07-31-2009, 07:05 PM
What a silly conversation.
When Spurs signed the contract with TP, they knew at that time two important things:
1) TP loves playing for France
2) There is nothing legally they can do about it

As many say NBA BB is a business, business is ruled by contracts and laws. If you don't like the contract don't sign it.

After that everybody has his opinion. Nothing wrong to think it's better winning with the FNT than with the Spurs and vice versa.

diego
07-31-2009, 07:38 PM
injuries suck regardless of where they happen. now the circumstances obviously matter, (ie, playing against a doctors recommendation), but as far as we know that hasnt happened (its possible, but I dont like to clench my ass just in case someone decides to kick me).

as for the its a business argument, like Brazil just said, Tony and every single NBA player has guarantees in their contracts that allow them to play in international competition. if you dont like that, write the players union and the owners or root for another sport that doesnt have international competition (like american football). But dont tell Tony what his contract says, he knows much better than you.

I think if Holt or whoever in the Spurs org requested Tony come back and Tony willingly came back (even if he considered it silly), that shows a good relationship between them. And though it would suck for Tony if he misses his FNT game unnecessarily, it doesnt automatically mean france is screwed, and that hasnt happened (yet at least). Again, I dont understand why people preemptively cry about spilled milk before it is spilled. There is still the possibility that tony can fulfill both his spurs goals and his FNT goals, and nothing to indicate animosity between tony and the spurs. but if bashing soccer or the owner of the franchise or french socialism makes people feel better, go ahead.

SequSpur
07-31-2009, 07:47 PM
Parker is a ball hog...that's why none of these moves make sense and won't amount to anything....

But still parker is the best player in the NBA. :D

Brazil
07-31-2009, 08:44 PM
But still parker is the best player in the NBA. :D

:toast:lol

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-31-2009, 11:50 PM
No.

Firstly, you completely ignore the fact that it should be TP's choice - the Spurs have not bought the rights to his life or his soul, they have bought the rights for him to play in the NBA. If TP chooses to play for France in the off-season, that is his right.

Secondly, flip your logic. By your your logic, American players with NBA contracts should also have their destiny decided by their NBA teams. How would you like it if all the American NBA players were told by their clubs that they couldn't represent the USA? I doubt you'd be impressed.

Finally, you can injure yourself on a basketball court no matter the context - training, pickup game, comp game, whatever. Injury is always a risk in basketball, especially ankle sprains. Should players be banned from playing pickup games or training in the offseason? Of course not. It's how they keep fit and improve their games, even though it is an injury risk.

I think it's entirely reasonable that the team recall TP to have the injury examined, but beyond that it's TP's choice to play for his national team or not.

TD4THREE
08-01-2009, 12:05 AM
No.

Firstly, you completely ignore the fact that it should be TP's choice - the Spurs have not bought the rights to his life or his soul, they have bought the rights for him to play in the NBA. If TP chooses to play for France that is his right.
The nba is like any other business, the spurs are paying Tony millions of dollars to play basketball for "them". if playing for France could jeopardize that then the spurs should have the rights to not let him. Hell, the lakers were able to fine Radmanovic for skiing a couple of years ago if I remember correctly. Nobody forced Tony to sign the contract.

Kori Ellis
08-01-2009, 12:11 AM
The nba is like any other business, the spurs are paying Tony millions of dollars to play basketball for "them". if playing for France could jeopardize that then the spurs should have the rights to not let him. Hell, the lakers were able to fine Radmanovic for skiing a couple of years ago if I remember correctly. Nobody forced Tony to sign the contract.

That's because it is in some player's contracts that they can't do things like ride motorcycles, ski, etc.

It's not (and probably won't ever be) in any player's contract that they can't play basketball in the offseason.

NBA players play in unsanctioned leagues, rec center pickup games, at UCLA, and a multitude of other places in the summer, outside of their NBA team practice facility. They're not going to stop them playing basketball.

Mr Bones
08-01-2009, 12:19 AM

That goes both ways though, don't you think? The Spurs knew when they resigned Parker to an expensive extension that he would play for France, just as they knew Manu and Oberto would play for Argentina in the Olympics. That's a chance they were willing to take.

TD4THREE
08-01-2009, 12:32 AM
That goes both ways though, don't you think? The Spurs knew when they resigned Parker to an expensive extension that he would play for France, just as they knew Manu and Oberto would play for Argentina in the Olympics. That's a chance they were willing to take.True, but the players should be loyal to the teams they are under contract with IMO, if he were healthy then I would have no problem with him playing for his country. I don't blame the spurs or Holt for being cautious, given how last season turned out with Manu.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-01-2009, 12:43 AM

That's because it is in some player's contracts that they can't do things like ride motorcycles, ski, etc.

It's not (and probably won't ever be) in any player's contract that they can't play basketball in the offseason.

NBA players play in unsanctioned leagues, rec center pickup games, at UCLA, and a multitude of other places in the summer, outside of their NBA team practice facility. They're not going to stop them playing basketball.

Thanks Kori, exactly.

And TD4, how about adressing my other points rather than cherry-picking from my argument?

z0sa
08-01-2009, 12:51 AM
Parker is a national hero. It shouldn't really be hard for Spurfan to understand why this is a big deal to him and his French fans. Yes, it sucks that we're paying double digit millions of dollars to possibly hurt himself and jeopordize everything we pay him for. There are also absolutely no rules against it, and he has made his decision known for quite some time.

All we can do is wait it out. The main worry is his ankle. Parker is young and I don't see him being overplayed this season with GHill and Pop coming along. As long as he isn't gimpy, WGAF.

barbacoataco
08-01-2009, 12:58 AM
Everyone on both sides of this argument should remember 2 things:
1. This is a sore subject because of the Manu thing, which rightly or wrongly many Spurs fans believe they lost a season because he played and got injured with his national team. This happened just last year.
2. It isn't an all or nothing question. Maybe the answer is to limit the amount these guys are competing internationally. Every 4 years for the Olympics is one thing, but the way it is now they're playing all the time with qualifying games etc. Pro players NEED AN OFFSEASON to recuperate and regenerate after competition. I don't know any professional sport where the athletes compete year round. That is the issue.

Tully365
08-01-2009, 01:11 AM
I don't know if most fans understand that if Parker were to announce in France that he wouldn't be playing for the national team, it would be much bigger news there than if LeBron or Kobe made the same announcement here. I know most of us look at the situation as fans of the Spurs, but there are other considerations. Like Pop said last year: if he'd been in Ginobili's situation he would have played too.

Parker is the best French basketball player in the world. There is a lot of pressure on him, and I'm sure a lot of ambition too. If he could lead France to a euro-championship or an Olympic medal someday, it would be something that his fans there would remember forever. I worry about injuries too, but as a Tony Parker fan it's hard to deny him a shot at those things.

Macca76
08-01-2009, 04:08 AM

I support TP on this one

+ fucking 1000

Brazil
08-01-2009, 09:32 AM
True, but the players should be loyal to the teams they are under contract with IMO, if he were healthy then I would have no problem with him playing for his country. I don't blame the spurs or Holt for being cautious, given how last season turned out with Manu.

Nobody is blaming Holt for being cautious but everybody is blaming TP for what ? following a Spurs recommendation showing he is not ok with that recommendation ?
TP haters are all damn idiots.

I'm sick of all trade TP, loyalty BS stuff. So far TP is doing exactly what the Spurs want even if legally he is not obliged to do so. Results 10 threads about trade parker, tim must call him, Spurs >>>> FNT, trade his ass for Calderon etc...

Sometimes this board is :smchode::deadhorse

Balance
08-01-2009, 09:48 AM
I don't blame anyone for being cautious. But some fans don't want their foreign players to play for their NT at all.
IF a player is healthy, he should play for his NT (if he wants to). He might get injured and end his career , and that is sad, but shit happens.
He might as well become a national hero.

You can't be too afraid of life and its opportunities, or you won't make the best of it.

In the end, it's the player's choice. And I guess there's always a insurance policy to guarantee the team's rights, isn't it?

johnnyblues
08-01-2009, 09:48 AM
Trade his butt to Utah for D-Will.

lotr1trekkie
08-01-2009, 10:09 AM
I understand where Tony is coming from and sympatize with him. His is, like Manu, an icon in his homeland. Aside from some soccer players and cyclists Tony is a French idol. He' more revered in France than Kobe or da "King". It's hard for him to be pulled out somewhat unceremoniously. On the other hand, Holt has a right to protect his investment. If Tony isn't 110% healthy he should not play until he is. 90% isn't good enough! Don't you think that the French coach would play Tony at less than 100% in a close game? I do. His ass is on the line to. To use one more example, during the World Cup soccer players leave their pro teams to play for the "honor" of their home countries. To refuse is to become "a man without a country." Tony plays "with" the Spurs but he plays 'for' his country. There is a difference.

TMTTRIO
08-03-2009, 02:13 AM
I understand Tony wanting to play with his NT. Ask Manu what's more important to him some rings and a 6MOY award or some medals and he would take the medals anyday. The NBA is just a job (of course that he loves) and if the Spurs didn't like it they shouldn't of signed him. He knew the risks and consequences of playing injured and he still did it because he loves it and had no regrets doing it. Of course not only did it hurt our team but it hurt him as well and probably cost him a contract. It should get interesting this next summer with him. He still hasn't officially quit the national team and if he proves he's healthy and back to himself I think the NT might be a big issue that maybe keeps the Spurs and Manu apart from resigning. I don't know if I see Manu a Spur very much longer and I think he's ok with it if it does.

Trainwreck2100
08-03-2009, 02:18 AM
aren't these just friendlies? Doesn't he have to play in the idiotic three team tournament cause his team sucked ass last year. Are the spurs stopping him from playing in the tourney or the friendlies?

kace
08-03-2009, 05:19 AM
didn't want to start a thread about it, so i put it there.

http://www.basketnews.net/asp.net/main.blogs/details.aspx?blog=9

i'll translate, hoping it will show some of you what some interbational bball fans are thinking. not saying i agree with everything is said, since i'm obviously a NBA fan, but that's the idea.

------------------

Disdain, condescension and hypocrisy.

With Noah come-back to chicago, we thought we had to bear the worse. But TP being called back to check a simple ankle sprain is just ridiculous. And Les Bleus pay the bills: they'll play against Italy without a Parker yet clearly able to play....

After much previous similar events (Diaw insurance problems in the middle of the night, Diawara searching an NBA contract), the relationship story between the NBA and french NT is living his more amazing episode. All begins with Pietrus. After a nice season and great PO, he was forbidden to play with the NT by Orlando. Why ? wrist injury. OK. Mike played through pain for his NBA team which wants to avoid surgery so he has to rest. Here, no problem (almost), because Pietrus could be back with the NT if this one is qualified for the Euro2009 tournament.

But after that, it becomes more annoying with Noah needing to get back to Chicago while he's enjoying and improving with the NT. The Bulls prefers him to train alone in a gym, to gain "6 to 8 kilos of muscle". First comment: to gain so much weight in so few time, what do they intend to make him eat ? Anyway for the bulls, unless they only want him to rebound, preventing him to play with the NT is just stupid, stubborn and a short term way of thinking... and worse, the bulls staff dares to say publicly that it was the player's choice, in order to not make Stern angry, considering the NBA rules about the NT.

And here comes the TP's chapter, who had a simple and mild ankle sprain and "repatriated" few days before a crucial game against Italy, whereas a spurs medical staff member is here in France to confirm the french medical staff diagnosis and despite the fact that the french NT agreed to all the spurs requests. So, tony gets back. Has a medical check. french diagnosis is confirmed. and he will get back in France.... just after the game against Italy.... which means, maybe, when it will be yet too late for the french bball to be saved.

Shit !! Who the NBa teams think they are ? and their coaching staff ? Don't they ever learn anything, after being beaten, summers after summers, by european NT (or argentina), yet composed by way less talented players than the american ones ? Because all these problems between NBA teams and NT, far from being limited to France, show how much the big league, and especially his franchises, are meanly arrogant and disrespectful towards the rest of the world.

and what is the FIBA doing ? It says, from Geneve,.... NOTHING !! NBA teams, years after years, are killing the credibility of its competitions and still, the FIBA gives them all the honors all the two or four years, just to be sure we will have a Dream Team ersatz playing.

and if, for once, we went to the severe test ? If Patrick Baumann, the FIBA director, made David Stern face his responsabilities in ordering him to let the NBA international players really free ? otherwise, the world would do without NBA stars during FIBA competitions. What do we have to lose ? Stern knows very well that, in his actual frontiers, the NBA isn't far from having reach his own limits. His product is beautiful - even if impersonal - clean, sparkling, but the NBA, outside the USA, stay a big circus whose games are played in the middle of the night at 10.000 kilometers far away..... Enough for captivating the teenagers, but not for having a real place in the heart of the wide sport audience. In France and elsewhere.

What do we have to lose in such a arm wrestling ? Nothing, IMO. nothing but to win a little bit of respect. which would be good for everyone....

K-State Spur
08-03-2009, 08:48 AM
didn't want to start a thread about it, so i put it there.

http://www.basketnews.net/asp.net/main.blogs/details.aspx?blog=9

i'll translate, hoping it will show some of you what some interbational bball fans are thinking. not saying i agree with everything is said, since i'm obviously a NBA fan, but that's the idea.

------------------

Disdain, condescension and hypocrisy.

With Noah come-back to chicago, we thought we had to bear the worse. But TP being called back to check a simple ankle sprain is just ridiculous. And Les Bleus pay the bills: they'll play against Italy without a Parker yet clearly able to play....

After much previous similar events (Diaw insurance problems in the middle of the night, Diawara searching an NBA contract), the relationship story between the NBA and french NT is living his more amazing episode. All begins with Pietrus. After a nice season and great PO, he was forbidden to play with the NT by Orlando. Why ? wrist injury. OK. Mike played through pain for his NBA team which wants to avoid surgery so he has to rest. Here, no problem (almost), because Pietrus could be back with the NT if this one is qualified for the Euro2009 tournament.

But after that, it becomes more annoying with Noah needing to get back to Chicago while he's enjoying and improving with the NT. The Bulls prefers him to train alone in a gym, to gain "6 to 8 kilos of muscle". First comment: to gain so much weight in so few time, what do they intend to make him eat ? Anyway for the bulls, unless they only want him to rebound, preventing him to play with the NT is just stupid, stubborn and a short term way of thinking... and worse, the bulls staff dares to say publicly that it was the player's choice, in order to not make Stern angry, considering the NBA rules about the NT.

And here comes the TP's chapter, who had a simple and mild ankle sprain and "repatriated" few days before a crucial game against Italy, whereas a spurs medical staff member is here in France to confirm the french medical staff diagnosis and despite the fact that the french NT agreed to all the spurs requests. So, tony gets back. Has a medical check. french diagnosis is confirmed. and he will get back in France.... just after the game against Italy.... which means, maybe, when it will be yet too late for the french bball to be saved.

Shit !! Who the NBa teams think they are ? and their coaching staff ? Don't they ever learn anything, after being beaten, summers after summers, by european NT (or argentina), yet composed by way less talented players than the american ones ? Because all these problems between NBA teams and NT, far from being limited to France, show how much the big league, and especially his franchises, are meanly arrogant and disrespectful towards the rest of the world.

and what is the FIBA doing ? It says, from Geneve,.... NOTHING !! NBA teams, years after years, are killing the credibility of its competitions and still, the FIBA gives them all the honors all the two or four years, just to be sure we will have a Dream Team ersatz playing.

and if, for once, we went to the severe test ? If Patrick Baumann, the FIBA director, made David Stern face his responsabilities in ordering him to let the NBA international players really free ? otherwise, the world would do without NBA stars during FIBA competitions. What do we have to lose ? Stern knows very well that, in his actual frontiers, the NBA isn't far from having reach his own limits. His product is beautiful - even if impersonal - clean, sparkling, but the NBA, outside the USA, stay a big circus whose games are played in the middle of the night at 10.000 kilometers far away..... Enough for captivating the teenagers, but not for having a real place in the heart of the wide sport audience. In France and elsewhere.

What do we have to lose in such a arm wrestling ? Nothing, IMO. nothing but to win a little bit of respect. which would be good for everyone....

contrary to what this dolt believes, FIBA needs the NBA more than the NBA needs FIBA. stern obviously likes what the world setting does for him and the league, so he's wants to cultivate that relationship. but if push came to absolute shove, the nba could start putting it in the players contracts that they couldn't compete for their NTs - and the vast majority of players around the world would still sign. maybe reluctantly, but they'd still sign.

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-03-2009, 02:37 PM

2008 Olympics basketball final had 1 billion viewers. That is what they said in TV.

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Well seeing as how globalization is the rage in the business world, eventually the sport of basketball may become completely global where FIBA and the NBA merge. Then won't that make everyone happy? No more having to worry about international play because there would only be one league, the GBA , Global Basketball Association.:p:

FIBA cannot merge to the NBA. FIBA controls all basketball worldwide including NBA.

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-03-2009, 02:42 PM
aren't these just friendlies? Doesn't he have to play in the idiotic three team tournament cause his team sucked ass last year. Are the spurs stopping him from playing in the tourney or the friendlies?

The Italy game is not a friendly.

Sisk
08-03-2009, 03:11 PM

also tradition keeps soccer popular, you play and become a fan of what your father and grandfather played and were fans of.

American Football is so much more complex, each game so different from another, each coach's strategy so different, each team ... there is almost an infinite number of ways you could approach winning the game of Football when starting from scratch... but I'm getting a little off topic here

American Football = Chess
Futbol/Soccer = Checkers :p::lol

this is so off topic from what the thread started with.. but seriously? soccer isn't complex?

soccer is the epitome of strategy.. that's the only way to score

you've obviously never been around or played soccer.. and if you have you were very ignorant of the game :bang

Agloco
08-03-2009, 03:48 PM
Playing in the NBA is a job.
Playing for your national team is a great honor.

The greater stage for a european player is to be World Champion or Gold Medal in the Olympics.
And i think it's the same for American players. See the Dream Team with Jordan, Magic, Bird... And other teams like last year.

IF Parker had a bad injury he wouldn't play.

Parker is not my hero, i am a fan of the game of basketball : NBA, Euroleague and international competitions.

For me international competitions are the most intense to watch.
My greatest sport fan memories are when French football team became the World Champion in 1998.

I'm not exactly sure why you bothered to post after the first line.

Be there, be healthy. It's your paycheck hence your first obligation.

phyzik
08-03-2009, 08:15 PM
I dont mind NBA players going to play international ball, the problem I have is strictly with the French NT. They flat out lied last time about Tony's injury. Thats bullshit and what the Spurs did in bringing Tony back is the consequences France has to pay for taking advantage of the Spurs trust in the France medical staff.

We will never know if the French team would or would not have played Tony in the next game despite the injury and to me thats a good thing. They did it before, who's to say they wouldnt do it again? The ride back simply prevented any mishandling of the injury from the national team. Either way, France said that Tony wouldnt likely play the next game anyway, so whats the problem?

Like it or not France fans, your team fucked up the last time. Hopefully this overblown incident will help build back some of the trust the Spurs had in the France medical team.

K-State Spur
08-03-2009, 10:06 PM
FIBA cannot merge to the NBA. FIBA controls all basketball worldwide including NBA.

FIBA has no power over the NBA except what the NBA allows.

v2freak
08-03-2009, 10:11 PM
wow, just wow

ignorance displayed at its finest

Ignorance? He's obviously seen the games, and these are his observations/opinions. Personally, I find soccer to be a bore as well. I can't stand any low-scoring game that involves goalies and continuous action (if you can even call it that). Ignorance would be making a blanket statement without ever having seen a soccer game.

injuries suck regardless of where they happen. now the circumstances obviously matter, (ie, playing against a doctors recommendation), but as far as we know that hasnt happened (its possible, but I dont like to clench my ass just in case someone decides to kick me).

as for the its a business argument, like Brazil just said, Tony and every single NBA player has guarantees in their contracts that allow them to play in international competition. if you dont like that, write the players union and the owners or root for another sport that doesnt have international competition (like american football). But dont tell Tony what his contract says, he knows much better than you.

I think if Holt or whoever in the Spurs org requested Tony come back and Tony willingly came back (even if he considered it silly), that shows a good relationship between them. And though it would suck for Tony if he misses his FNT game unnecessarily, it doesnt automatically mean france is screwed, and that hasnt happened (yet at least). Again, I dont understand why people preemptively cry about spilled milk before it is spilled. There is still the possibility that tony can fulfill both his spurs goals and his FNT goals, and nothing to indicate animosity between tony and the spurs. but if bashing soccer or the owner of the franchise or french socialism makes people feel better, go ahead.

Eh I kinda agree. It's the NBA club's fault for taking a known risk

Solid D
08-03-2009, 10:21 PM

:lol

I'm sure FIBA will be telling NBA to go to 40 minute games and the trapezoid lane any time now.

(What's that you say? Oh! It's FIBA going to the rectangular lane to be more like the NBA?)

ploto
08-03-2009, 10:29 PM
NBA players play in unsanctioned leagues, rec center pickup games, at UCLA, and a multitude of other places in the summer, outside of their NBA team practice facility.

I think the difference is that if a guy gets banged up in a pick-up game at UCLA, there is not a national organization trying to pressure him to keep playing on the injury based on an idea of national pride or obligation to one's country. We know how cautious the Spurs are about playing their own injured players, so at least they are consistent.

ploto
08-03-2009, 10:35 PM

Join the club. :lol

Rogue
08-03-2009, 11:06 PM
2008 Olympics basketball final had 1 billion viewers. That is what they said in TV.
It wouldn't be anything amazing if you had used one second thinking about where the Olympics were held last year. It always happens that people get tired of the TV programs and have a walk outside of their homes while leaving their TVs working still. Presumably about 8-9 hundred millions of the 1 billion viewers were the walls and couches of their homes, or some dogs and cats if the Olympic games could draw some interest from those animals.

Rogue
08-03-2009, 11:15 PM
I would like to see NBA being controlled by a superior organization which could force some strict laws on NBA against manipulations of games. but the sad news is NBA doesn't give a crap about the rest world of basketball, for the 30 teams and 450 contracted NBA players, NBA is just their whole world and colonial Stern is the only God.

bishopospurs
08-04-2009, 12:12 AM
The sad part of these on-line forums is you really get to see the many ways people don't care about each other. Spurs fans want Tony Parker healthy because of team pride. French Nationals want Tony to risk everything for a feeling of national pride. All are legitimate forms of personal interest. The world is a "what can you do for me" place. People don't care about Tony. At least Tony gets to hide his aloneness with a beautiful wife and tons of money. Everyone is alone at the end of the day.

Solid D
08-04-2009, 12:26 AM
Everyone is alone at the end of the day.

Speak for yourself, Quasimodo. I share my life with a magnificent wife and I go to bed far from alone at the end of the day.

But seriously, I don't think very many Tony Parker fans want to see him play on an injured ankle and risk further damage.

spursfaninla
08-04-2009, 01:27 AM
I think he means we are all alone, at the end of the day, in the existential sense. But perhaps the thread might digress?

Solid D
08-04-2009, 01:35 AM
I think he means we are all alone, at the end of the day, in the existential sense. But perhaps the thread might digress?

Yeah, I know. Salvatore Quasimodo, the Nobel Prize-winning existential writer/poet, was who I was referencing - life is inherently sad. That isn't exactly my motto.

Mister Sinister
08-04-2009, 01:56 AM
Yeah, I know. Salvatore Quasimodo, the Nobel Prize-winning existential writer/poet, was who I was referencing - life is inherently sad. That isn't exactly my motto.
I prefer the utilitarian martyr complex route, myself.

Limguogolo
08-04-2009, 07:32 AM
Imagine your boss calling you while you're hugging your wife, talking about how marvelous your saturday night is. Imagine your boss hurrying you to join him at the other side of the earth... while you planed a perfect wedding proposal. Your boss wants you to be in shape at 6 monday morning. He knows you're taking some rest in a paradisiac island, he thinks he pays you enough to command you. He's worried about your unusual week-end. He does'nt care what you're doing, how mutch is important is these two days for you, he's just obsessed with his own job.

Your boss had no legal right to do it. You can tell him to go to hell. You will be fresh, happy and perhaps a little tired, monday morning. And so what? The boss pays your hours at work. What you're doing in your resting time, it's not his business. He could be mad if your plane is postponed. But he can't call you because he saw in the news a hurricane forecast. Nothing is sure. You asked to the local weather forecasts, and they said it will be ok for your plane... You do whatever you want! The boss pays a work, he doesn't pay for your ass.

It's understandable if his wife died in a similar situation but he overreacts. It doesn't matter how much he pays, it does'nt matter why, he can't do that. This boss seems to be in love. He seems jalous. He can't imagine his employee married to another person. He wants him for himself. He is desperate houseboss, and HE groaned, HE cryed, HE complained, for NOTHING.

And now? Marianne, your fiancee doesn't want you anymore. And she wants to kill herself, she wants to jump in the Seine, she's getting mad, she's crying, she's ugly, she wanted to go to Poland but you wasn't there to BUY THE TICKET! Then Marianne understands that she'll never go to the olympics! "what kind of woman am I if I can't see the flame!" Marianne thinks she's nothing else than a pussy: you doesn't want to be seen with her, you are not proud of your beautiful Marianne. And she says "I want you to introduce myself to all your teamates, now. And your boss. He thinks your girl doesn't worth?! We will prove him that an employee happy with his girl his a better employee."

I'd rather a player maried with his NT than his motocycle or his idleness... Some getting hurt trying to fix a shelf. Some getting fat watching all the desperate housewifes saison like a couch potato. Others play for their pleasure in a camp (without stretching). And others play for their national team. Especially, when it's crucial. It is the french "road to redemption". Everyone has his own. Even the pussies.

CGD
08-04-2009, 09:50 AM
Little can be done to prevent players from playing with their national teams (Nor should it IMO). But the financial arguments can't be ignored.

The best solution IMO opinion is to require insurance policies for foreign play as part of a player's NBA contract. The policy can be based on a sliding scale of anticipated minutes played for a national team per year. As a player's national team commitments increase (including practices, etc.), so does the percentage of the policy they have to pay for that year.

While this does little to replace the on-court value of an injured player (i.e., Manu last year), at the very least it provides teams with some financial relief.

Cherry
08-04-2009, 12:23 PM

I can understand that the NBA is the great stage of basketball but is not the bigest stage of the world. You have more chances of win every year, but the NT have 1 or 2 chances in life and no more.